PDA

View Full Version : Super League ( The real rugby)

HH81
06-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Anyone watching the game on sky? Saints v the Dragons.

The latest video ref decision was a shocker.

Danderhall Hibs
06-02-2015, 08:11 PM
:hilarious "real"

over the line
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Anyone watching the game on sky? Saints v the Dragons.

The latest video ref decision was a shocker.

The refs have got off to a shocking start to the season! James Childs was a joke last night! I hope they improve for tomorrows game, Warrington v Salford (which I am going to). Come on Wire!

PS, not only is it the real rugby, it is the entertaining, Rupert free code of the game too! :)

Scottie
06-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Real rugby are you sure ?

Stop start bollocks no continueity :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
06-02-2015, 09:10 PM

Big game of British bulldogs. Less skilful game as well - that's how very few league players have made it in union - even the likes of Harris and Farrell who were top boys in league at the time couldn't make it.

over the line
06-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Big game of British bulldogs. Less skilful game as well - that's how very few league players have made it in union - even the likes of Harris and Farrell who were top boys in league at the time couldn't make it.

Where as union is just some fat blokes with odd shaped heads bumping into each other for a bit, then a less fat bloke hoofs it in the air, this continues til the ref gives a penalty which may leads to some points being scored via a kick. The scrums take about 15 minutes and normally lead to another pointless penalty, oh yeah and about every 3 games someone scores a try. Thrilling!

HH81
07-02-2015, 04:26 AM

It's a myth, time stoppages in both codes and you will see.

As for the debate, well if you like free flowing attacking rugby you watch league, if you like kicks to touch or as far down field as you can, line outs that take a minute each (bit of a rest from the last one 3 mins ago) etc...

Union is without doubt a bore fest.

HH81
07-02-2015, 04:28 AM
The refs have got off to a shocking start to the season! James Childs was a joke last night! I hope they improve for tomorrows game, Warrington v Salford (which I am going to). Come on Wire!

PS, not only is it the real rugby, it is the entertaining, Rupert free code of the game too! :)

Keighley Cougars fan myself, I will be at Cougars v Swinton in a pre season game. :thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 05:30 AM
It's a myth, time stoppages in both codes and you will see.

As for the debate, well if you like free flowing attacking rugby you watch league, if you like kicks to touch or as far down field as you can, line outs that take a minute each (bit of a rest from the last one 3 mins ago) etc...

Union is without doubt a bore fest.

The scrums in Union have turned into a bit of a shambles.

League though is just dull - what kind of game stops and says here it's your turn now, we've been tackled 5 times so I'll kick it to you?

I've played both and my opinion is league is easier to understand, union is more technical and difficult. To watch league live is dull - 1 guy runs into 2 guys 5 times and then they kick it away. The other 12/13 guys in each side stand in 2 lines waiting to either catch the inevitable kick or chase it.

Depends what you're looking for I suppose.

HibsMax
16-02-2015, 06:14 PM

League though is just dull - what kind of game stops and says here it's your turn now, we've been tackled 5 times so I'll kick it to you?

I've played both and my opinion is league is easier to understand, union is more technical and difficult. To watch league live is dull - 1 guy runs into 2 guys 5 times and then they kick it away. The other 12/13 guys in each side stand in 2 lines waiting to either catch the inevitable kick or chase it.

NFL. It's quite popular over here. :)

DaveF
16-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Very few out of how many? Yes, a few have flunked but plenty have done well.

Chris Ashton did OK, and Jason Robinson was a star in both codes. Then you have prize assets like Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Burgess. There would no shortage of takers for Sam Tomkins if he ever goes as well.

I'd suggest Union has benefited a lot from the defensive attributes of League - Shaun Edwards is very highly thought of and Farrell too for their coaching. Skill learnt and nurtured in League.

The cross codes challenge that Sky telly did a few years ago were great fun to watch.

DaveF
16-02-2015, 09:00 PM

I've not played either game but I prefer league. You perception of league could be countered with:

What kind of game has one big guy bash into another for zero yardage. Big guys have a cuddle on the ground. ref blows whistle for unknown penalty. game stops for 1 minute (clock running). Ball is booted 60 yards out. No play for further minute while big guys trudge up park.

Repeat.

And that's without the scrums :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
17-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Very few out of how many? Yes, a few have flunked but plenty have done well.

Chris Ashton did OK, and Jason Robinson was a star in both codes. Then you have prize assets like Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Burgess. There would no shortage of takers for Sam Tomkins if he ever goes as well.

I'd suggest Union has benefited a lot from the defensive attributes of League - Shaun Edwards is very highly thought of and Farrell too for their coaching. Skill learnt and nurtured in League.

The cross codes challenge that Sky telly did a few years ago were great fun to watch.

I think you've named the ones that done well - there's very few others. Early to say on Burgess as well.

You're right on union benefitting from Union in a coaching sense although most of them are defensive coaches you could turn that and say Union is I'll because the defences are so tight... :greengrin

The cross code challenge was done when Union was in the early stages of professionalism iirc - probably about 96?

DaveF
21-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Probably time for some Rugby punch ups to settle this debate :greengrin

One of my favourite ever League ones. O'Connor v Tallis. As O'Connor put it last night on SKY "I head butted his fist 3 times" :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MbdDGUyEFk

Scottie
21-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Probably time for some Rugby punch ups to settle this debate :greengrin

One of my favourite ever League ones. O'Connor v Tallis. As O'Connor put it last night on SKY "I head butted his fist 3 times" :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MbdDGUyEFk
:greengrin Enjoyed that Dave.

Tonights game is fierce. Respect to all the players competing tonight. Wigan are at the races.

DaveF
21-02-2015, 08:36 PM
:greengrin Enjoyed that Dave.

Tonights game is fierce. Respect to all the players competing tonight. Wigan are at the races.

Got to say that the referees have been very favourable to the NRL teams in the 2 matches so far. St George should have 2 players sin binned last night but they got off with high tackles.

HH81
21-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Been a great game this. Think Wigan may lose in golden point.

Danderhall Hibs
21-02-2015, 09:49 PM

WTF is golden point?

Scottie
21-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Got to say that the referees have been very favourable to the NRL teams in the 2 matches so far. St George should have 2 players sin binned last night but they got off with high tackles.
And again tonight.Few strange decisions. :agree:

You were Spot on. :aok:

WTF is golden point?
First to score in extra time. Try,penalty or drop goal.

over the line
22-02-2015, 12:07 AM

Ben Thaler was a f****** disgrace, he should be ashamed of his performance as ref on friday night. He totally s*** out with regards to penalizing St. George, total coward! James Childs might make some poor decisions, but at least he makes decisions. Thaler is a waste of space, no balls at all!

I thought Phil Bentham had a decent game tonight, a few dodgey decisions, but at least he did give penalties when they were due.

It is hard enough to beat the Ozzys, without the refs rolling over and allowing them to do what they want. The first high takle on friday should have been a red and the second a yellow, with this seasons change of rules.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2015, 12:29 PM
First to score in extra time. Try,penalty or drop goal.

:aok: like the old golden goal

over the line
22-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Saints are getting malleted! The Rabbitohs are an awesome side.

DaveF
22-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Great team, ***** name. What's a rabbit oh?

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Saints are getting malleted! The Rabbitohs are an awesome side.

I didn't realise until Friday night that Russell Crowe owns them. Turned them from no hopers to world champs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Great team, ***** name. What's a rabbit oh?

Seemingly in the dark and distant past some of the players used to catch, skin then sell rabbits before games to supplement their income and "Rabbitohs" was what they shouted to attract potential customers!

HH81
24-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Good to see a few on hibs.net watching the real rugby.

over the line
25-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Seemingly in the dark and distant past some of the players used to catch, skin then sell rabbits before games to supplement their income and "Rabbitohs" was what they shouted to attract potential customers!

A similar story to the Wigan Pie Eaters then! ;):)

over the line
25-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I didn't realise until Friday night that Russell Crowe owns them. Turned them from no hopers to world champs.

Yes he's a huge rugby league fan, as well as a huge ****! ;):)

I believe he had spent big money there and he has certainly got the best RL team in the world by quite some margin.

over the line
25-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Good to see a few on hibs.net watching the real rugby.

Which RL team do you follow? I am a season ticket holding Wire.

HH81
26-02-2015, 05:04 AM
Which RL team do you follow? I am a season ticket holding Wire.

Keighley Cougars. Played Warrington a few times recently.

over the line
27-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Keighley Cougars. Played Warrington a few times recently.

Yes I went the games at the HJ, but not been to Keighley. Rough deal for Cougars with the points deduction business last season.

HH81
28-02-2015, 03:27 AM
Yes I went the games at the HJ, but not been to Keighley. Rough deal for Cougars with the points deduction business last season.

Still a sore point with me, still winds me up. I don't think I will ever attend another non RL event again unless the Cougars are iinvolved.

over the line
06-03-2015, 11:52 PM
The pie eaters got spanked tonight, happy days!!! :D

HH81
07-03-2015, 03:55 AM
I need to attend a Castleford game this year with my mate as he had agreed to watch a Cougars game. I shouls have gone last night.