PDA

View Full Version : Media Contract Extension - Lewis Stevenson ?

Aldo
06-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Looks like Stubbs is going to try and get Lewis on a new contract.

Hope it's true as it's well deserved IMHO.

Also a wee bit about tomorrow's game!!

Alan Stubbs today revealed he is keen to tie Lewis Stevenson down to a new contract as Hibs longest-serving player prepares to play his 250th game for the club. Stevenson will become only the 60th player in the 140-year history of the club to pass that landmark in tomorrows Scottish Cup fifth-round tie against League Two leaders Arbroath. And Stubbs is ready to offer the 27-year-old the chance to add many more games to that total by extending his ten years with the Capital club, a period in which he has played under seven managers since making his debut in the days of Tony Mowbray.

The head coach said Its a great milestone for anyone to reach 250 games with one club. Lewis has been absolutely fantastic for us this season. He is Mr Reliable, Mr Dependable. He just gets on with his job and does it to a very good standard week in, week out.Hopefully we can make it a memorable day for him tomorrow, one he can remember for all the right reasons. Stevenson made his debut in a League Cup tie against Ayr United at Somerset Park in September 2005 and Stubbs insisted it was testament to the Kirkcaldy-born player that he had managed to accumulate such a number of games given the number of managers who have been in charge during that time, Mowbray followed by John Collins, Mixu Paatelainen, John Hughes, Colin Calderwood, Pat Fenlon and now Stubbs, the former Celtic and Everton defender. He said I can only talk about Lewis from my time here and hes been a pleasure to work with since day one.

The fact hes managed to come through the number of changes in manager is testament to his ability and character & The fact hell be only the 60th player in the clubs history to do so tells you everything. Hopefully hell be able to climb up that list a bit further with a lot more games to come & We are interested in extending his contract. How that goes I cannot answer, but we are keen to try to keep him and I dont envisage any problems.

Stubbs, meanwhile, raised the possibility of former Hamilton goalkeeper Tomas Cerny making his debut tomorrow, the Czech-born player having signed a short-term deal as he became one of four arrivals in January. Asked if Cerny might replace Mark Oxley for the visit of the Red Lichties, Stubbs said I have not decided on the team yet. The team I put out will be a team I feel can get us through. The squad is strong and it does give me that option. I want to win this trophy so the team that will be out will be the strongest I can possibly put out. We have a brilliant chance to go through, I am really excited about it. It will be a tough game, Arbroath are top of their league, they will come here and have a right go. They have some players who will be dangerous if we are not focused. It is a great opportunity for us at home to get through the tie and then have the excitement of listening to the draw and see potentially who we could get in the next round.

Off the bar
06-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Good news I hope wee Lewis gets this signed asap.

Billy Whizz
06-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Where are you picking this up from Aldo

Hibbyradge
06-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Funny how all these managers can't see what the very vocal experts in the stands can see...

Vault Boy
06-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Lewis is one of a number of senior players' contracts I would love to see extended. I'm sure the club will be working on plenty of them. Lewis has turned into a really impressive left back, I'm so glad we finally have a coaching team that recognises his ability and have instilled in him the confidence to show what he can do on a regular basis.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2015, 09:15 AM
:top marks

Aldo
06-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Where are you picking this up from Aldo EEN twitter feed Billy! Yes I know it's the EEN and we are boycotting it but it's good news for me!!

Billy Whizz
06-02-2015, 09:26 AM
EEN twitter feed Billy! Yes I know it's the EEN and we are boycotting it but it's good news for me!!

Thanks, just saw it
I presume we'll hear see something on Hibs TV, when Hibs air his cup preview

Aldo
06-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks, just saw it I presume we'll hear see something on Hibs TV, when Hibs air his cup preview

Hopefully we do. As I say well deserved IMHO!!

Shrekko
06-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Funny how all these managers can't see what the very vocal experts in the stands can see...
I've rarely heard Lewis get any kind of verbal abuse from the stands- why do people perpetuate this myth that he's a boo boys target?

Good news re the extension though and just reward for consistently good play the past 3/4 years.

Gatecrasher
06-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Well deserved for Lewis he has improved a lot defensively and looks good going forward.

Ricky Bobby
06-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I've rarely heard Lewis get any kind of verbal abuse from the stands- why do people perpetuate this myth that he's a boo boys target?

Good news re the extension though and just reward for consistently good play the past 3/4 years.

Agree with this.
I have heard fans didsapointed at his delivery from crossing positions from time to time, but i am pretty sure Lewis would also be dissapointed with this aspect of his game at times. To be fair to him his final ball has really improved recently and as others have said fully deserves a new deal.

EdinMike
06-02-2015, 09:54 AM
:top marksLove the boy, I can't understand the hatred he gets !

Here's to another 5 or 6 years Lewis buddy !

Ricky Bobby
06-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Agree with this.
I have heard fans didsapointed at his delivery from crossing positions from time to time, but i am pretty sure Lewis would also be dissapointed with this aspect of his game at times. To be fair to him his final ball has really improved recently and as others have said fully deserves a new deal.

MrSmith
06-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Superb news! Deserves every bit of it! Good to see his endeavors reaping rewards.

Thecat23
06-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Lewis wants to stay and I hope we tie him up as he's been very good this season!

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Always worth keeping a player who can play RB, LB or midfield. If clubs employed attitude coaches he would be a cert for the top clubs in Europe when he stops playing.

Thecat23
06-02-2015, 10:05 AM

I've heard Lewis take a fair amount of stick from the stands in recent seasons. And he's also had plenty on here!

hibbyboy1
see it names all the managers he's played under except one, the muppet.

Keith_M
Hibs Legend!

:duck:

CallumLaidlaw
06-02-2015, 10:09 AM
I remember a few years ago, he got a new 1 year contract and I really wasnt bothered one way or another, as he had been indifferent in the time closely leading up to that, but if he was given a 2/3 year deal, I'd be delighted now. He has been excellent recently, and was even consistent last year.

Pretty Boy
06-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Well deserved if it happens.

woodythehibee
06-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Delighted for Lewis.

Always gives 100% and is a great professional to have around. Off the pitch, he is such a genuine, humble, unassuming guy. He deserves a new deal. :flag:

Wilson
06-02-2015, 10:40 AM
I've heard Lewis take a fair amount of stick from the stands in recent seasons. And he's also had plenty on here!

To be fair he has been an ever present in a team that has been in constant decline. Not a great claim to fame. It is pretty hard to heap praise on anyone associated with the team up until lately.

Stubbs obviously views him as part of the solution. Endorsement enough for many I would think.

Stevie Reid
06-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I've said it before but if Lewis had arrived as a new signing this season and played as he has (and knowing that he can also cover a few other positions more than competently, also) everyone on this board would be raving about him.

His performances this season have seen many people re-evaluate their opinion of him, though some will never change theirs - no matter how well he plays. More Hibs fans than ever appreciate Lewis now though, and I'm delighted for him.

Bostonhibby
06-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Get him signed up. Every team needs a guy with Lewis's attitude and professionalism. An example to many.

matty_f
06-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Great news, consistently one of our better players. Delighted if he signs on for another couple of seasons.

Northernhibee
06-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Great news.

Hibby Bairn
06-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Cup winner. Well deserved.

WillowbraeHibby
06-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Good news for Lewis, and for Hibs. A player that has always given his all, and never stops trying... Even when having an off day. :aok:

:flag::flag:

jacomo
06-02-2015, 11:19 AM
'I want to win this trophy.'

:hyper

MrSmith
06-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Its a shame some of the stick he's taken but fair play to the lad, taken on the chin and gotten on with business. During the poor years, I'd have had 11 Lewis' on the field due to his great attitude and work-rate. A true professional.

lyonhibs
06-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Great news if true. Lewis Stevenson has almost always been the least of our problems at worst, and more and more in recent times, one of our very best players full stop.

Happy to say I saw him score 2 of his 3 (?!) career Hibs goals in the flesh :greengrin

PeeJay
06-02-2015, 11:58 AM
250 games in says a lot about his "lack of ability" ... good news ...

Deansy
06-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Great news, well-deserved !!

My_Wife_Camille
06-02-2015, 12:19 PM

It's not a myth at all. Lewis has taken a lot if stick over the years and has had to put up with a lot of negativity on here and In the stands.

In the last year or so he's really won the majority if fans over though with some excellent performances. Delighted that he looks to be staying.

Hibeesmad
06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Love the lad, puts in 100% every week and is overall a decent player. I hope we get him on a new contract and we give him a testimonial at some point so we can appreciate his efforts and career

Bostonhibby
06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Love the lad, puts in 100% every week and is overall a decent player. I hope we get him on a new contract and we give him a testimonial at some point so we can appreciate his efforts and career
[emoji106] I'd rather spend a fortune travelling up to watch a Lewis Stevenson testimonial than a Terry butcher managed match.

hibby6270
06-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Nice one!! :thumbsup: :top marks

J-C
06-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Very good news indeed, Lewis was given the LB slot this year and has made it his own, especially with the more forward thinking wing back role which suits his game, has been very consistent and rarely makes a serious mistake.

Fife-Hibee
06-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Fantastic news always liked the wee man. Always gives 100%

kentao
06-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Really happy hes getting an extension been one of the most consistant performers at Easter Road over the last 10 years rarely puts a foot wrong and always gives 110%. when we conceed a goal you can see him hurting, if he puts over a poor cross or a miss placed pass you can see him being annoyed at himself the guy is a true professional who always wants to better himself and the team.

The only draw back is I wish he would have more faith in his ability and have a dig more often when he gets into decent positions.

2/3 year deal Stubbsy.

Thecat23
06-02-2015, 03:52 PM
To be fair he has been an ever present in a team that has been in constant decline. Not a great claim to fame. It is pretty hard to heap praise on anyone associated with the team up until lately.

Stubbs obviously views him as part of the solution. Endorsement enough for many I would think.

He's been about the only one in all the teams who's looked like he wanted to win. Folk saying he hasn't got ability are wrong! It's not that managers "see" something it's because he's there through being a good player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrinityHibs
06-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Great player. Never hides. Get it done Hibs

06-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Great news! An extremely hard working player who gives absolutely everything for the jersey! Lewis was one of the few players that left last season with some degree of dignity - unless most of the squad that season he cared.

Andy74
06-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Not really an announcement this is it?

Billychaotic182
06-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Has it been announced??? Title is misleading as I can't see anything official

woodythehibee
06-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Has it been announced??? Title is misleading as I can't see anything official
Stubbsy is looking to offer him a deal and does not expect any issues in him signing it.

06-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Stubbsy is looking to offer him a deal and does not expect any issues in him signing it.

Lewis no doubt will be delighted to sign. Mr Hibs :thumbsup:

Carheenlea
06-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Like you, I've rarely heard Stevenson be subjected to abuse from those at the games. On here though it's been a different story. Most of, if not all of the criticism that Lewis Stevenson has had has been online.

Smartie
06-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Not really an announcement this is it?

That's what I was thinking.

Based on his recent form any manager thinking about NOT offering Lewis a new contact would need his head examined. Saying we're going to do it is surely stating the obvious.

I reckon Lewis holds a few cards here. He's performed consistently well for years now and he's now doing it in a good team as opposed to being in a poor one. He should be reaching his peak and he's also versatile enough to play in several positions. He hasn't had any serious injuries so I could see a few clubs being prepared to take a punt on him, especially if he was out of contract and available for free.

In our favour players seem to enjoy playing under Stubbs and he has a young family so security and "being settled" may be appealing to him. I'm also pleased that he seems to have pretty much won over the "haters" that he had for a while - he's getting the recognition he has long merited. I wouldn't have blamed him for thinking "****** this for a game of soldiers" and taking himself off elsewhere based on some of the abuse he has received over the past few years.

I really hope he signs a new deal, stays, gets a testimonial and goes on to be a one club man going possibly going on to coach or manage us. He seems a good, grounded young man who I only ever hear good things about so I am very keen to see him stay. He's also showed a bit of resilience through adversity and we know you certainly need a bit of that toughness to make it at Hibs.

I wouldn't necessarily begrudge him one big move though and I don't think it should be assumed that he would necessarily say yes to any deal that was offered to him.

Eyrie
06-02-2015, 06:21 PM
[disegagebrain]
Not good enough, rant, rave, general display of ignorance etc ...
[/disengagebrain]

Delighted if this happens - Stevenson was one of our better players when the team was poor and is still one of the first names on the team sheet now that we've improved the squad. He deserves three years and a testimonial.

Winston Ingram
06-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Love him. Great player:agree:

jacomo
06-02-2015, 06:46 PM
[disegagebrain]
Not good enough, rant, rave, general display of ignorance etc ...
[/disengagebrain]

Delighted if this happens - Stevenson was one of our better players when the team was poor and is still one of the first names on the team sheet now that we've improved the squad. He deserves three years and a testimonial.

AS says he doesn't anticipate any problems, so hopefully that is the case.

As an aside, I heard Harry Kane say he wants to stay at Spurs his entire career. Must have been music to Daniel Levy's ears, especially when it comes to discussing his salary.

Stantons Angel
06-02-2015, 07:57 PM
A new contract extension is exactly what Lewis deserves and i hope they agree a testimonial for him too. He deserves all the good things that the club can do for him.

Its good to read a post full of admiration for a player who defo plays for the jersey and wears his heart on his sleeve.

I have heard a lot of abuse from the stands aimed at him, but not as much or as personal as there has been on here, it has been horrible for him!

Now that the abuse has stopped and people are beginning to realise how much he means to Hibs maybe they will now accept him as a really good team player.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Id be delighted if he stays.....im just surprised no other clubs have been sniffing around him... ive never seen him linked with any club......is that the case or have i missed something

hibeemikey21
06-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Based on his recent form any manager thinking about NOT offering Lewis a new contact would need his head examined. Saying we're going to do it is surely stating the obvious.

I reckon Lewis holds a few cards here. He's performed consistently well for years now and he's now doing it in a good team as opposed to being in a poor one. He should be reaching his peak and he's also versatile enough to play in several positions. He hasn't had any serious injuries so I could see a few clubs being prepared to take a punt on him, especially if he was out of contract and available for free.

In our favour players seem to enjoy playing under Stubbs and he has a young family so security and "being settled" may be appealing to him. I'm also pleased that he seems to have pretty much won over the "haters" that he had for a while - he's getting the recognition he has long merited. I wouldn't have blamed him for thinking "****** this for a game of soldiers" and taking himself off elsewhere based on some of the abuse he has received over the past few years.

I really hope he signs a new deal, stays, gets a testimonial and goes on to be a one club man going possibly going on to coach or manage us. He seems a good, grounded young man who I only ever hear good things about so I am very keen to see him stay. He's also showed a bit of resilience through adversity and we know you certainly need a bit of that toughness to make it at Hibs.

I wouldn't necessarily begrudge him one big move though and I don't know if it should be assumed that he would necessarily say yes to any deal that was offered to him.

Agree with all that you say.

Who'dve thunk that it might, in fact, be Lewis who decides to upgrade from Hibs as opposed to vice versa?

One Day
06-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Well done Lewis, well deserved

Brightside
06-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Aye thank goodness for someone that knows what he's doing. If he left Hibs he;d be snapped up by almost all of the premier clubs. A proper pro.

Northernhibee
06-02-2015, 08:37 PM
My favourite player since Le God. Amazing attitude and serially underappreciated as a player.

mca
06-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Sing a Nice Song for him at the next game.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Billy Whizz
06-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Sing a Nice Song for him at the next game.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

It's not Christmas yet

B.H.F.C
06-02-2015, 08:55 PM
He's changed my opinion of him this year. He had a great wee spell where he had 5 or 6 assists in the same number of games. Ross County, Ibrox etc. I don't think it's unfair to say that there is still room for improvement with his final ball but he's been good for us this season.

Northernhibee
06-02-2015, 09:03 PM

He plays on the left,
He plays on the right,
Lewis Stevenson,
Can also play centre mid

Gmack7
06-02-2015, 09:06 PM
My favourite player since Le God. Amazing attitude and serially underappreciated as a player.

Has defo improved and is having a great season, but favorite since Sauzee? That's some mancrush you've got

Northernhibee
06-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Has defo improved and is having a great season, but favorite since Sauzee? That's some mancrush you've got

I've seen some players come in and leave for what they think is best for their career, seen some players with all the talent but not the attitude but all Lewis has ever done is give everything for the shirt. No complaining, no George St antics, no holding out for extra cash, just total commitment every second he's been at the club. Club legend in the making.

Spike Mandela
06-02-2015, 10:05 PM
The club's version of Marmite.

Not In The Know
06-02-2015, 10:08 PM
He should be captain for the day.

Deansy
06-02-2015, 11:23 PM

I wouldn't necessarily begrudge him one big move though and I don't think it should be assumed that he would necessarily say yes to any deal that was offered to him.

Ditto !

Cameron1875
07-02-2015, 06:27 AM
His attitude is different class and he's a very good first division player.

soupy
07-02-2015, 06:39 AM
His attitude is different class and he's a very good first division player.

Surely better than first division,,,,he's been strolling the championship, naw!

WellingtonHibby
07-02-2015, 07:01 AM
I've seen some players come in and leave for what they think is best for their career, seen some players with all the talent but not the attitude but all Lewis has ever done is give everything for the shirt. No complaining, no George St antics, no holding out for extra cash, just total commitment every second he's been at the club. Club legend in the making.

This. Lewis embodies all that is good about football.

PeterboroHibee
07-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Delighted for him and hope that he signs. Hes an important player for us, and Im glad hes more or less established himself in a position. In modern football where theres a high turnover of players I also think its really good to have someone who has a long term association with the club!

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Time he had a testimonial ... Hibs should bust a gut to persuade someone like Man Utd or Juventus to send a team.

swanny 6-2
07-02-2015, 09:25 AM
A no brainer:not worth

hibs4life
07-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Glad to see we're trying to extend his contract.
Lewis has a fantastic attitude, no little ability and has had to endure some really tough times in some struggling teams.
Nice that the fans are now showing him the'love' he deserves.

jdships
07-02-2015, 10:04 AM
This. Lewis embodies all that is good about football.

:agree:
I've met LS on a few occasions over the years and NOT ONCE have I heard him decry the club/managers , Comment - yes but in a way that was not disloyal/disrespectful
Well done " thou good and faithfull servant" as the " good book" says :greengrin

Planet Hibs
07-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Would certainly attend any testimonial for this guy, great servant to the club

hfc rd
07-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Hopefully he does sign an extension and also his fellow Hibs teammates do the same. Will definitely attend a testimonial for this guy as he definitely deserves one!

hongkonghibee
07-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Lewis Stevenson is my favourite player. I love people who are loyal to one club. Its a rare thing nowadays for a player to stay with one club his entire career and I hope Lewis does that. He is an intelligent and skilful player with a great tackling ability and always gives 100% effort for Hibernian Football Club. He should be given a testimonial match (Everton?). Its been a very tough last 10 years for our club and the one player who stood out consistently above all the crap going on behind the scenes and still made it a pleasure to watch matches, was Lewis.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-02-2015, 12:23 PM
The club's version of Marmite.

There seems to be a penchant amongst some of our support (funny tho I've never actually heard this only written on here) for finding an memorable/iconic moment in Hibstory usually involving the early part of a Hibs players career and using it as a stick to beat them with.

With Lewis a MOM performance in a Cup Final (which someone else judged) for Sproule it was that hattrick at Ibrox (hardly a crime). But they' e never kicked a ball or dined out on it since. It drains the live out of me at times.

whiskyhibby
07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Well deserved if it happens.

Completely agree, you don't play 250 games over a range of mediocre to good managers if you haven't got something, and I have to say this season has been by far Lewis's best, long may it continue