PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Unseen work
05-02-2015, 09:05 PM
How does everyone think he has got on? and would u like to see him permantly signed?

I think he has looked very sharp and his pace cause lots of problems, with a bit of luck he would have about 5 already for us

the goal he scored
dissalowed goal
hits post vs Qos
Hits bar vs Raith
Plus some other goal scoring chances

A bit more confidence with his finishing and a couple things to go his way and he looks a player. Problem is he will have to score goals to keep his position as jason and malonga are scoring for fun, plus the arrival of dja dje and return of farid

essexhibee
05-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Nearly scored with his first touch v the **** at the Roseburn end were it not for a great last ditch block.

S4uzee
05-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Liked the look of him but misses too many good chances

Unseen work
05-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Liked the look of him but misses too many good chances

like i said i think some misses have been really unfortunate/bad luck! 2 i can think off were near enough 1 on 1 and lacked any conviction. Think this will be due to confidence and will burry them when that picks up

erin go bragh
05-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Took his goal well on Sat . Then had a bit of a mare imo .
How he managed to hit the bar from a yard out , then later he should have squared the ball to Franck for a tap in . But he is young and hopefully will learn .

Ggtth

J-C
05-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Took his goal well on Sat . Then had a bit of a mare imo .
How he managed to hit the bar from a yard out , then later he should have squared the ball to Franck for a tap in . But he is young and hopefully will learn when to pass and when to shoot .

Ggtth

Think the keeper got a hand on it that's why it hit the bar

Northernhibee
05-02-2015, 09:32 PM
He's a friend of a friend - he's been played as a winger for a fair bit at Dundee and is still getting adjusted to being a proper striker as far as I can tell.

CB_NO3
05-02-2015, 09:36 PM
He has cost us 4 points IMO. Two terrible sitters against Falkirk and Raith. Defenders get a really hard time for mistakes. Attacking players should be no different. I think there is a player in there though.

andrew70
05-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Think he tries hard, has bags of pace but isn't ever going to be a top striker.

CB_NO3 is right in what he says also. Had Oxley chucked two in the back of the net this place would be in up roar so why not the same furore when a striker misses vital chances.

It's a team game but any half decent goalscorer takes these chances.

Will be definitely be grateful for his efforts but doubt he'll get a deal moving forward.

B.H.F.C
05-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Pace is always a threat. Not clinical enough though.

Cup tied this week and I think he'll struggle to get a starting place back with other strikers being available again.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-02-2015, 11:07 PM
I think he's done well tbh. Missed a few chances admittedly but he's got himself into some great positions and has pace to burn.

Won't be first choice once everyone is back but a great option from the bench. I think Stubbs could bring him on quite a bit still

greenlex
05-02-2015, 11:11 PM
A poor mans Ivan so far.

CRAZYHIBBY
05-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Hes missed some sitters and took shots when he should have passed but its early days. Its easy for us to judge but at the end of the day he's the one on the park and only has a split second to make a decision

frazeHFC
05-02-2015, 11:42 PM
I like the look of him. Missed a few sitters but has pace and is willing to take players on. Got to remember he's only 21, so every game he plays he's gaining more and more experience.

Pete
06-02-2015, 12:25 AM
Think he tries hard, has bags of pace but isn't ever going to be a top striker.

CB_NO3 is right in what he says also. Had Oxley chucked two in the back of the net this place would be in up roar so why not the same furore when a striker misses vital chances.

It's a team game but any half decent goalscorer takes these chances.

Will be definitely be grateful for his efforts but doubt he'll get a deal moving forward.

Maybe there should be less furore when defenders and keepers make mistakes instead of more when strikers do.

Sounds like a few people have written this guy off already. Thierry Henry was once written off as a mediocre winger who couldn't finish his tea. :hmmm:

PeterboroHibee
06-02-2015, 05:47 AM
He has cost us 4 points IMO. Two terrible sitters against Falkirk and Raith. Defenders get a really hard time for mistakes. Attacking players should be no different. I think there is a player in there though.

He scored and set up a goal in those two games though. I agree that the strikers should be doing better given the number of chances they get, but in both games you mention the defence, and the team as a whole, should be seeing out the win.

As for Boyle, I quite like him. Hes not great in front of goal (although maybe he is just adapting to the position), but he adds a lot of pace to the team and is something different upfront. Once everyone is available he may be more useful as an impact player.

Gatecrasher
06-02-2015, 06:07 AM
He adds a threat we were missing prior to his arrival, he injects pace andn has the other team on the back foot which can only be a good thing. Other players in our team missed chances as well, it's just a part of football.

Winston Ingram
06-02-2015, 06:13 AM
The miss against Falkirk was a a horror show

Brooster
06-02-2015, 06:30 AM
His goals to chances ratio is just not good enough. And I'm not talking about half chances here, I'm talking one on one's and the open goal against Falkirk which would've put us out of sight. His general play and workrate are good but ultimately he will be judged on his goalscoring record. He needs to step up to the mark if he wants to be here next season.

calumhibee1
06-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Missed a few chances and I know as a striker he's ultimately there to score goals, but other than the chances he's missed I've been very impressed with him. Just needs to be more clinical.

Smartie
06-02-2015, 07:13 AM
I really like him and I want him to stay.

His pace is frightening, defences can't cope with it and it adds a totally different dimension to our play. Defenders can't relax with him around as he can close in on them so quickly. The pace he has makes chances for himself and it also makes chances appear easier for him - it takes him beyond defenders and into acres of space.

His finishing hasn't been good enough so far and it has cost us (but if the defence had done their job he'd still have a goal and some very good performances under his belt).

He needs a good manager and coaching team to help him with composure and finishing, also playing in a team that creates bucket loads would help him.

I like him, he's young and a bit raw. It would be good of a player like that could join us and improve sufficiently at ER instead of having to leave. He also offers something different to our other strikers and it's good to have options.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-02-2015, 07:22 AM
He certainly looks a player, but Alex Harris left because for one reason or another, he lacked consistency. No merit in swapping one for the same. We don't have the luxury of waiting for players to come good.

southern hibby
06-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Said I'n another thread, would love him to come on I'n the last 30 minutes of a game. I think he would do a lot better with his chances too as defenders would be struggling to catch him, which would give him more time to pick his spot.

I really do think there is lots of potential I'n the lad AND I do believe our coaching staff will improve him. Question is will he be here next season?

GGTTH

Stevie Reid
06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Even with the missed chances, I'd be happy if we retained him - even if we go up. Highly unlikely to ever be more than a squad player, but has attributes that can be utilised.

JimBHibees
06-02-2015, 08:32 AM
I like his attitude and pace, not the most natural finisher as indicated by his two poor efforts last week when one on one however he will get this fair share. His set up for Cummings in the Falkirk game was a great ball. He gives us a different option especially against teams that sit in.

J-C
06-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Boyle is a winger turned forward, he has great pace which can do damage to most teams, he just needs to work on his composure and his vision on the pitch, I for one would be happy to see him sign.

CockneyRebel
06-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Boyle is a winger turned forward, he has great pace which can do damage to most teams, he just needs to work on his composure and his vision on the pitch, I for one would be happy to see him sign.

This (spot on)

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2015, 09:40 AM
His goals to chances ratio is just not good enough. And I'm not talking about half chances here, I'm talking one on one's and the open goal against Falkirk which would've put us out of sight. His general play and workrate are good but ultimately he will be judged on his goalscoring record. He needs to step up to the mark if he wants to be here next season.

I had a wee look on the Dundee supporters website when we signed him, and most of them were saying exactly the same as you.

Joe
06-02-2015, 09:40 AM
I think he's been really good so far. To blame him for dropped points is wrong.

We dropped points against Falkirk because we couldn't defend, the strikes did their job. We dropped point against Raithbecause we couldn't kill the game, he is the least guilt of that as he actually scored.

He's just come in, done we'll so far. He's part of a striking unit and we will only see how good he is when the likes of Malonga are available.

offshorehibby
06-02-2015, 09:43 AM
He was brought in as cover with Malonga being away, Farid injured and Djedji unproven. If all were fit don't think he'd be first choice but if he can come off the bench and do a turn he'll do for me till the end of the season.

Brooster
06-02-2015, 09:55 AM
I think he's been really good so far. To blame him for dropped points is wrong.

We dropped points against Falkirk because we couldn't defend, the strikes did their job. We dropped point against Raithbecause we couldn't kill the game, he is the least guilt of that as he actually scored.

He's just come in, done we'll so far. He's part of a striking unit and we will only see how good he is when the likes of Malonga are available.

The strikers did not do their jobs against Falkirk and Raith and Boyle was the guiltiest of the lot. His open goal miss at 3-1 up was possibly the worst ive ever seen.

GreenPJ
06-02-2015, 10:31 AM
He has genuine pace which is still something that we still sadly lack in the team - he can get to the ball even when he is not on the shoulder of the last defender and that is invaluable - yes he misses too many at the moment but he is putting himself in the position to miss them. Most of Cummings goals have come from being in the box at the right time for me Boyle hasn't had that luxury in that he is making the chance in the first instance.

If he can start to knock a few in as well as know when to pass to someone else to finish then I definitely think he is worth retaining along with Harris.

ancient hibee
06-02-2015, 06:49 PM
He has genuine pace which is still something that we still sadly lack in the team - he can get to the ball even when he is not on the shoulder of the last defender and that is invaluable - yes he misses too many at the moment but he is putting himself in the position to miss them. Most of Cummings goals have come from being in the box at the right time for me Boyle hasn't had that luxury in that he is making the chance in the first instance.

If he can start to knock a few in as well as know when to pass to someone else to finish then I definitely think he is worth retaining along with Harris.

He hasn't been making the chances as you put it.In fact he has been played in five times for one on ones and only taken one-that's not good enough and it doesn't do him any favours to pretend it is.He's also been caught offside which is ludicrous because he has been the fastest player on the park but is not concentrating on where the opponents defensive line is.His shot against the bar was just about an impossibility and his open goal miss against Falkirk was terrible.As is only right Stubbs will give him every encouragement but I don't see him staying unless he improves.One of the reasons for our slump over the past few years is keeping too many players because they were triers-I'm sure that'll change.

fishybeaver
06-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Not half as technical or skilled as Harris but adds pace to the team. Don't think he would ever be 1st name on the team sheet but does give us options with his pace. Relatively cheap squad player I would imagine.

GreenPJ
06-02-2015, 07:38 PM
He hasn't been making the chances as you put it.In fact he has been played in five times for one on ones and only taken one-that's not good enough and it doesn't do him any favours to pretend it is.He's also been caught offside which is ludicrous because he has been the fastest player on the park but is not concentrating on where the opponents defensive line is.His shot against the bar was just about an impossibility and his open goal miss against Falkirk was terrible.As is only right Stubbs will give him every encouragement but I don't see him staying unless he improves.One of the reasons for our slump over the past few years is keeping too many players because they were triers-I'm sure that'll change.

What is Cummings ratio of one on one conversions? Am I not suggesting he is a world beater or our main stay striker but he has had 4 or 5 games he has shown true pace and we don't have much of that in the team and we need that. Whether it be him to deliver it or someone else but we need pace.

Unseen work
06-02-2015, 08:40 PM
dont know where all this chat about him being a winger converted to a striker has came from

Has been playing a as a striker since he started football. His most comfortable postion

Viva_Palmeiras
07-02-2015, 04:06 AM
About 3 years ago I met with a sprint coach who worked with Hearts. At the time Mackay or Preston represented young players at Hearts and Hibs. They actually had some sprint sessions together but I was surprised to learn Hibs didn't have a sprint coach or as I recall do specific sprint training. The Hibs team fitness was also questioned. This guy did know a thing of 2 about sprinting as he won the Powderhall New Years sprint for a few years in a row. Unfortunately the name escapes me but I do remember looking him up at the time. At the I time there were rumours around Black coming to Hibs and he believed he would have been a good addition - what we were missing a bit of steel and the BLck might have been interested the crossing the divide would not have been a problem in his view...

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2015, 04:11 AM
About 3 years ago I met with a sprint coach who worked with Hearts. At the time Mackay or Preston represented young players at Hearts and Hibs. They actually had some sprint sessions together but I was surprised to learn Hibs didn't have a sprint coach or as I recall do specific sprint training. The Hibs team fitness was also questioned. This guy did know a thing of 2 about sprinting as he won the Powderhall New Years sprint for a few years in a row. Unfortunately the name escapes me but I do remember looking him up at the time. At the I time there were rumours around Black coming to Hibs and he believed he would have been a good addition - what we were missing a bit of steel and the BLck might have been interested the crossing the divide would not have been a problem in his view...

George McNeil ?

Andy74
07-02-2015, 07:12 AM
His misses have been a it unlucky. Instinctive sort of things that just didn't go right. His pace is great though, really gives us an extra edge. I like him and would be in favour of trying to keep him as another option.