PDA

View Full Version : Should we boycot the EEN/The Scotsman?

Last Minute
03-02-2015, 03:01 PM
The coverage in the EEN and Scotsman has been a disgrace. No stories at all about the share issue or HSL. Any stories they do run are against us. Do you think Hibs fans should boycott the papers and their online editions. All we ask for is balanced coverage! No hits on the website no revenue for Johnston Press"

Onion
03-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Would they notice ?

GreenLake
03-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Buy products and services from companies that do not pay for advertising in these two papers.

greenginger
03-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Funnily enough, in tonight's EEN there is a full page spread from the managing editor, Frank O'Donnell , asking for our opinions on his newspaper.

He can be emailed at fodonnell@edinburghnews.com or written to at their new address at Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, EH4 2HS.

The add has a picture of a Hibs and Hearts player on it. The Hibs player with a Crabbie's shirt and the Yam with a Wonga shirt :confused:

The paper is now to be available from 6.30 AM but Mr O'Donnell assures us that their unparalleled coverage of news, sport and local features will continue.

Gatecrasher
03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm already doing it

jdships
03-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Would they notice ?

:agree:

Weststandwanab
03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Buy products and services from companies that do not pay for advertising in these two papers.

I think that is an excellent idea.

I'm already doing it

Me too for almost 10 years now.

Last Minute
03-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I get so Angry at them, they give all supportive headlines to that bunch of charity thieves and cheats over the Road. and here we are a club that always pays it's Bills but what do we get? you guessed it, all negative news about Hibs fans again being asked to make donations but nothing was wrong when hearts fans were asked to do it for there shares? and they cheated everybody out of Cash.

For me I would rather pay our owner Sir Tom back a loan over 10 years interest free, rather that pay a bank who are billionairs payments with lots of Interest.

Lets get behind the Team everybody. we are going in the right Direction.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Ironically, Jambos would describe these papers as being pro-Hibs, especially the Scotsman.

Papers need stories to sell, that's why they peddle such a loadae shiote. Not sure that they are particularly more negative about us than they have been in the past. The EEN has descended into a spoof newspaper and the Scotsman was extremely bised in respect of it's reporting of the referendum campaign. Those are good reasons to boycott them.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2015, 04:09 PM
I started boycotting both about 5 years ago and don't intend to change now.

Amazing how rapidly once decent papers can go downhill.

Jack
03-02-2015, 04:11 PM
I get so Angry at them, they give all supportive headlines to that bunch of charity thieves and cheats over the Road.

Perhaps the Scotsman/EEN and hearts [and sevco] have much in common with each other around ethos and principles.

There's no room for morals or honesty in the Scottish media these days.

PatHead
03-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Funnily enough, in tonight's EEN there is a full page spread from the managing editor, Frank O'Donnell , asking for our opinions on his newspaper.

He can be emailed at fodonnell@edinburghnews.com or written to at their new address at Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, EH4 2HS.

The add has a picture of a Hibs and Hearts player on it. The Hibs player with a Crabbie's shirt and the Yam with a Wonga shirt :confused:

The paper is now to be available from 6.30 AM but Mr O'Donnell assures us that their unparalleled coverage of news, sport and local features will continue.

Not going to bother as I wouldn't read it to see if it has changed. They had their chance over the last couple of years but kept sticking the knife in.

Hibs Class
03-02-2015, 05:07 PM

I thought it was pathetic when rangers supporters started a similar boycott, and don't see why it should be any different if we were to do it. On a more practical note, surely you'd have to buy the paper to see who was advertising in it so you could boycott them, which would make it kind of self-defeating! :greengrin

lord bunberry
03-02-2015, 05:24 PM

Like FOH?

Greentinted
03-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Edinburgh Evening News at half 6 in the morning...
...says it all really.

greenginger
03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Not going to bother as I wouldn't read it to see if it has changed. They had their chance over the last couple of years but kept sticking the knife in.

I fired off an email to the managing editor.

Asked for a bit of balanced coverage and a free add for Hibernian Supporters ltd similar to that given to Foundation of Hearts last year.

Ain't heard back yet. I can wait.

Last Minute
03-02-2015, 05:32 PM
769 views and only 52 votes? A bit poor

SunshineOnLeith
03-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Boycotts of newspapers are outdated and pointless nowadays, as such a large proportion of their revenues come from ads on their website. There's plenty of people who'll say they're boycotting a publication while at the same time posting links to their website on twitter/facebook with comments like 'this is why I don't buy X paper' - end result is web traffic which generates revenue. The Daily Mail is the best example of this, it's not a serious news outlet any more, just a click-harvesting machine. They actively want people to dislike them on social media as it generates more cash.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Always found the een to be pro hibs so no i wouldn't boycott them

poolman
03-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Edinburgh Evening News at half 6 in the morning...
...says it all really.

:bitchy: Aye, You can get it with the milk and rolls :rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't buy it cos it's *****e

Jack
03-02-2015, 05:47 PM
769 views and only 52 votes? A bit poor

I've read the thread twice but haven't voted. I can't vote when I use the opera browser on my tab :-)

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Ive just had a reply to a complaint I tweeted to EEN sport yesterday. A Mark Atkinson has replied apologizing for lack of HSL launch coverage yesterday andsaid he will look into it today. Ive since replied and said coverage of FOH last year was all very positive and the same cant be said for their negative spin of Hibs share ossue with all the focus on HOH etc. Will update if/when I get anything further back...

Bostonhibby
03-02-2015, 05:52 PM
They have very little positive to say about Hibs, a significant part of Edinburgh culture and a big part of the lives of many Edinburgh people so why not reciprocate? Their handling of Hearts dodgy share offer and subsequent backing they gave them was the final straw for many - I know one advertiser they have lost for sure as a result - Vote yes.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2015, 05:52 PM
He has admitted they were wrong to not carry a story on the launch yesterday..but doesnt know or explain why they haven't. He also said they feel they have given all sides equal column inches which I politely disagreed with.

lord bunberry
03-02-2015, 05:58 PM
He has admitted they were wrong to not carry a story on the launch yesterday..but doesnt know or explain why they haven't. He also said they feel they have given all sides equal column inches which I politely disagreed with.

I presume they will be giving HSL 2 free full page adds then

Bostonhibby
03-02-2015, 06:01 PM

:agree:Most effective thing Hibbies can openly do - that and if you or anyone you know pays to advertise with them, don't do it. Stay off theirs and related websites.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2015, 06:02 PM
I presume they will be giving HSL 2 free full page adds then

What do u think?? Would be a good way of getting the Hibs side of town back onside tho...

worcesterhibby
03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I categorically guarantee everyone I will never buy a copy in Worcester.

Bostonhibby
03-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Is it because he didn't realise he had people working for him who are printing stories fed to them by mates and they have a general anti Hibs tendency? The share launch comparison between the yam and us is staggering, especially when you look at the criminality surrounding the events leading up to the yam administration.

jgl07
03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
The only time I have read the EEN in five years is while awaiting for my order in Efes kebab shop. Twenty years ago I would buy it every day (and the Pink). It was not down to perceived bias but that it had become crap that changed this.

emerald green
03-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Until I believe they are giving balanced coverage to BOTH football clubs in this city, they can shove their papers where the sun don't shine, especially the EEN. Their coverage of the launch of HSL has been abysmal. I've not actually bought an EEN for years as I just have a quick look on their website now and again.

Oh, and take some action against the YAM trolls swarming all over every Hibs article in that same paper.

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Sad to see the first company I worked for going down the pan like this.

I used to deliver all 6 plus the pink. Best paperboy for miles around.

Nomeancity
03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Never buy them anyway so can't boycott. Used to buy them occasionally as they were marginally better than the glasgow press for football( by the way I listen to bbc radio scotland and not once today have they mentioned any transfer news other than the ugly sisters)
I know the yams scandal wasn't exactly watergate, and the Scotsman certainly isn't the Washington post - but where was the edinburgh press during the hearts scandal - they certainly weren't at the forefront of exposing the scandal. They are a 2-bit pandering rag.
I don't think they are anti hibs or pro yam, I just think they are amateur crap.

Pete
03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Until I believe they are giving balanced coverage to BOTH football clubs in this city, they can shove their papers where the sun don't shine, especially the EEN. Their coverage of the launch of HSL has been abysmal. I've not actually bought an EEN for years as I just have a quick look on their website now and again.

Oh, and take some action against the YAM trolls swarming all over every Hibs article in that same paper.

Dealing with trolls should be the number one issue to ensure proper debate. Otherwise, what's the point?

It's really let itself down with it's blatant bias. It makes you wonder who is pulling the strings. Jambos. ..or others with agendas perhaps?

Mikey
03-02-2015, 06:26 PM
88% as I type.

Even Petrie was only at 85% in the polls about him :hilarious

Less popular than Petrie. Jeezo.........

emerald green
03-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Dealing with trolls should be the number one issue to ensure proper debate. Otherwise, what's the point?

It's really let itself down with it's blatant bias. It makes you wonder who is pulling the strings. Jambos. ..or others with agendas perhaps?

:agree: The thing is, I'm not saying there aren't some Hibs fans doing it too, but the last time I looked it was inundated with Yams, easily outnumbering Hibs guys posting stuff.

It's the same Yam sad cases every day (unless it's the same one or two multi-posting!), on every article about Hibs. It has become farcical and a waste of time reading. Yet they just allow it to continue.

BTW I personally don't post on the EEN or Scotsman!!

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2015, 07:32 PM
88% as I type.

Even Petrie was only at 85% in the polls about him :hilarious

Less popular than Petrie. Jeezo.........

Dearie me...that is bad 😂😂

The Gorf
03-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Forget those rags. What about STV Edinburgh and the Fountainbridge show with that b--lend Ewan Cameron. Just looking at the yam makes the bile rise up.

Geo_1875
03-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Is it because he didn't realise he had people working for him who are printing stories fed to them by mates and they have a general anti Hibs tendency? The share launch comparison between the yam and us is staggering, especially when you look at the criminality surrounding the events leading up to the yam administration.

What really pissed me off is the positive stories published about HoMFC and no retractions or rebuttal when they were proved to be a tissue of lies. Southern's declaration of (almost) self-sufficiency is a prime example. Banner headlines then deafening silence when they plunged into administration, bumpng creditors for many millions and cheating Dundee of their place in the SPL. I'd rather type paedophilia into Google than Edinburgh Evening News. It would be less embarrassing if caught.

hibby6270
03-02-2015, 08:08 PM
I've read the thread twice but haven't voted. I can't vote when I use the opera browser on my tab :-)

A bit like there are other newspapers available, there are other internet browsers available also! :aok: :wink:

hibby6270
03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Never buy EEN now anyway, so can't boycott it again ! :-)

AndyB_70
03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
I have not bought either of those rags for a few years now. As for their coverage of the referendum the least said the better.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-02-2015, 08:17 PM
I sometimes read it online at lunch and have never noticed it has an anti-Hibs bias. I'm not an avid reader but it's been my main source of Edinburgh news now I've moved down south.

lyonhibs
03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Boycotts are the realm of open letter writing Jambos.

Surely no one buys those rags these days anyway ?

CentreLine
03-02-2015, 08:41 PM

Equal inches but only one side being shafted by those inches.

Aldo
03-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Reading the comments involved in the gorilla suit article the Yams on there think we are being fleeced by STF and will not see the money again.

Funny that how those yam roaster gave mad Vlad 2 lots of dosh....

1st -share money
2nd- ST money

Put it all in a big suit case and ran away.

I also tweeted Banderson about the negativity and guess what??? He didn't reply.

Part and parcel,of the head in the sand brigade.

It doesn't surprise me they've moved out of their plush offices near dynamic earth!!

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Well done its time these people paid for their actions, the sooner that rag is shut down for good the better. :top marks

MurrayfieldHibs
03-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Been boycotting both for years as they are pathetic. I do occasionally look at the online version but their stance in the referendum completely put me off.

mjhibby
03-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Stop reading it a long time ago. Used to enjoy reading the Scotland on Sunday sport section but that became like bbc sportscene and sportsound in that they peddle the same stories and agenda all the time. To describe hertz as an example to how to run your club and never to challenge what's going on at rankeers is part of the agenda as is how great are Aberdeen. The paper is tedious in the extreme and there is no point in wasting time reading it anymore. Sad but that is the reality I'm afraid.

Deansy
03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
I'll continue to read both EEN\The Scotsman online whilst both are still free. But eventually they'll go the same way as the others and want paid subscription - that'll be me done with both. Definitely won't miss 'The Scotsman' - heartbreaking to see the levels it's plummeted to. It's bad enough the support and coverage it's given to the 'Charity Thieves FC' but the blatant drive to take the Hun-readership away from the 'Daily R*tard'is shameless - you can't even use the word\title 'SEVCO' on their forums as it's classed as 'Offensive' !!!

#2 Double Tap
04-02-2015, 02:27 AM
Would they notice ?

150,000 papers a week, so average like 20k a day?, they would notice i am sure.

Cameron1875
04-02-2015, 04:48 AM
Not purchased it since the constant free full page advert spreads for Foundation of Hearts.

As for the coverage of the Referendum....:rolleyes:

Beefster
04-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I used to deliver all 6 plus the pink. Best paperboy for miles around.

Only because I used to deliver eggs.

ALF TUPPER
04-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Like other poster have said ....
I don't buy it and I'm going to start not buying it again today.

:)

GreenLake
04-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Like FOH?

:greengrin

DarlingtonHibee
04-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Intresting that there is a positive article about Hibs today in the Scotsman.

Maybe the message is getting through - wonder if STF had a word re printing HOH stuff.

ian omand
04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
The cost of the Edinburgh Evening News is 65p per day.
If you are accustomed to buy this newspaper every day
then that amounts to over £200 per annum.
The minimum purchase of shares in the Hibernian share issue
is £200 for existing shareholders.
The choice is yours.

GGTTH.

CentreLine
04-02-2015, 11:20 AM

Maybe the message is getting through - wonder if STF had a word re printing HOH stuff.

Have you a link? It looks like the bland report about Scott Allan staying is their story but maybe I missed the positive story

DarlingtonHibee
04-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Have you a link? It looks like the bland report about Scott Allan staying is their story but maybe I missed the positive story

Same report - just doesn't mention HOH

PeeJay
04-02-2015, 11:52 AM

You voted that you were boycotting the paper, yet here you are mentioning a positive article on Hibs in the Scotsman today - so what happened to the boycott then: over already? :rolleyes:

Jim44
04-02-2015, 12:12 PM
I sometimes read it online at lunch and have never noticed it has an anti-Hibs bias. I'm not an avid reader but it's been my main source of Edinburgh news now I've moved down south.

The Scotsman maybe doesn't have an anti-Hibs policy as such (except for Bathgate who detests Hibs) but the robustness with which it reports positive Hibs news is questionable to say the least.

silverhibee
04-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Only because I used to deliver eggs.

Nah, it was because i delivered the milk in the morning.

steakbake
04-02-2015, 12:16 PM
EEN is pretty much a cliquey cooncil gossip rag featuring trams, Kenny Ritchie and petty crime with the occasional ill-informed comment piece from some non-entity or other.

Feel free to boycott it, but I think feeling aggrieved at the EEN for its poor quality of reporting is like taking your Lada back to the car dealer and asking why it doesn't perform like a Merc.

It's just a dead tree with letters and pictures.

1987kev
04-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Does this really happen. I see a lot on here bbc tv / radio are anti hibs and now een does it really happen or is there a lot of paranoid petes on here.

snooky
04-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Aside from their football coverage, their anti 'YES' stance was blatantly obvious during the referendum.
And they continue the bias by selectively publishing letters that are negative to the SNP.
In refereeing terms, they're Craig Thomson.

hhibs
04-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Aside from their football coverage, their anti 'YES' stance was blatantly obvious during the referendum.
And they continue the bias by selectively publishing letters that are negative to the SNP.
In refereeing terms, they're Craig Thomson.

Good point,well made sir !

fatbloke
04-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Have done so for about 10 years. EEN is a comic on a par with the Dandy. Typical of the Edinburgh establishment. Horrible horrible institution.

Phil MaGlass
04-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Not football related, but I stopped reading een/so called scotsman during referendum, glad they are struggling and wouldnt give a if they go out of business.
dont even buy a paper when im back either,

erin go bragh
04-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Am i the only one that likes reading our match report in the een on a Monday ( after a great result ) i loved getting the pink on a Sat night also , back in the day .

Ggtth

surreyhibbie
04-02-2015, 10:38 PM
I categorically guarantee everyone I will never buy a copy in Worcester.

I haven't bought either for over 30 years...

they don't sell them in Surrey...:wink:

But I wouldn't buy them if I still lived in Musselburgh! :greengrin

monktonharp
04-02-2015, 11:00 PM
I categorically guarantee everyone I will never buy a copy in Worcester.sauce:wink:

monktonharp
04-02-2015, 11:20 PM
I have used the EEN, quite frequently for advertising/business purposes and It used to lead to a few job enquiries over the monthly cost period. most months, it paid for itself, and a bit. of late it has dropped dramatically. I considered shifting my advert to the Scotsman, and over the last 6 weeks I have had numerous phone-calls from a girl (which was my regular contact) about renewing my monthly account. Still undecided to take a final plunge, as it costs a bit but what does rankle me very much is the Hearts free pages, along with both papers' reporting and supporting during the referendum. that is the main item, that gets me. As for reading a paper, which I still enjoy, I have now ordered a daily cover of the INDEPENDANT. cant say it is a balanced view, but I can say it's as honest as you can get, in this current climate and it sure aint Murphy's law . others like the sun/mail/express/ beano/dandy I stopped reading a while ago.

fatbloke
05-02-2015, 01:44 AM
I haven't bought either for over 30 years...

they don't sell them in Surrey...:wink:

But I wouldn't buy them if I still lived in Musselburgh! :greengrin

Yer still a tight-fisted sod.... just kiddin B how are you doing no heard from you for a long time. Hope all is well with you and yours GGTTH

Haymaker
05-02-2015, 02:15 AM
Yer still a tight-fisted sod.... just kiddin B how are you doing no heard from you for a long time. Hope all is well with you and yours GGTTH

He is still a tight-fisted sod! :greengrin

fatbloke
05-02-2015, 06:11 AM
He is still a tight-fisted sod! :greengrin

That will be you left out of the will then.:greengrin

patch1875
05-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Voted no, never read the EEN for 10 years + but usually get the Scotsman and SOS at the weekend can't say I've noticed any bias in these there's usually a decent interview with someone Hibs most weekends.

the papers have been on a downward spiral circulation wise for years but im guessing the still employ a lot of people in the city.

greenginger
05-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Got round to reading the article in last nights EEN. Gerry Farrell interviews Alan Stubbs, so hoping for a bet of positivity.

First paragraph, Mr Farrell asks a Jambo friend if he has any questions for Mr Stubbs and is told to ,

" Ask him if he likes living in the shadows 'cos he is going to have to get used to living in ours. "

EEN can't help itself ,but of course the correct retort to any living in shadows jibe is,

A tax swindling , defrauding , charity thieving Club like Hearts cast no shadows as they only exist in the sewers. :greengrin

I might just pass it on to Mr Farrell.

Jack
05-02-2015, 03:12 PM
A bit like there are other newspapers available, there are other internet browsers available also! :aok: :wink:

IE8 engaged ... vote cast :-)

grunt
08-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Two headlines next to each other in today's Scotsman online edition, regarding yesterday's Scottish Cup games:

"Hibs reach last eight"

"Celts through to last 16".