PDA

View Full Version : turned down Scott Allan bid

Bay Area Hibees
03-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Great to read we turned down 250k offer from Dundee United.

Callum_62
03-02-2015, 05:25 AM
I wouldnt say its "great, " id say it wouldve been insanity to accept anywhere near that amount

When was the last time we had someone actually woth money though?! :greengrin

Geo_1875
03-02-2015, 06:50 AM
They got £2m for Armstrong and GMS. GMS had already signed a pre contract with Celtc so was probably worth £200k. They want to replace a £1.8m player so offer Hibs £280k. Should have gone round and put their windows in.

EdinMike
03-02-2015, 06:54 AM
What a miserable bid... He's worth 5 times that, and more !

emerald green
03-02-2015, 07:00 AM
£250K is not a serious offer. Posturing by DU. A total joke. They can GTF.

Winston Ingram
03-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Great to read we turned down 250k offer from Dundee United.

There would have been a bloody riot if we accepted that:agree:

Bayern Bru
03-02-2015, 07:44 AM
United fans were not happy last night at decision to sell GMS and Armstrong, were criticising current and former players for congratulating the two on their move etc. Wonder if the derisory bids were to try and placate the United fans.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2015, 07:47 AM
What a miserable bid... He's worth 5 times that, and more !

I'm glad we never sold him but, do you honestly believe this, read similar a few times last night too.

bigwheel
03-02-2015, 07:52 AM
I'm glad we never sold him but, do you honestly believe this, read similar a few times last night too.

Of course he is - 18 months left , no need to sell , and a share issue commencing. - Why would we accept anything less ?

Pedantic_Hibee
03-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Anything less than £1m and I would have square go'd Dempster in the Easter Road car park.

Pete
03-02-2015, 07:58 AM
United fans were not happy last night at decision to sell GMS and Armstrong, were criticising current and former players for congratulating the two on their move etc. Wonder if the derisory bids were to try and placate the United fans.

Blah blah it's the modern game they deserve to earn big money etc...but stuff like this can't continue if the league is to survive and prosper.

Fans of smaller teams have been taken for granted for too long and in this modern age of limitless options they will all just gradually find something else to worry about.

Sorry Ronnie, this is the exact opposite of "good for Scottish football".

Mikey
03-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Anything less than £1m and I would have square go'd Dempster in the Easter Road car park.

She'd kick the **** out of you and nick your fish and chips crisps :agree:

Jack
03-02-2015, 08:00 AM

I think she would win that ;-)

Pete
03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Of course he is - 18 months left , no need to sell , and a share issue commencing. - Why would we accept anything less ?

The "no need to sell" part is the key.

From now on it's top dollar or do one. We should be in the position of choosing not to sell to our rivals either, even if it means taking a hit or upsetting people.

EdinMike
03-02-2015, 08:04 AM

In this day and age, yes.

£1.1 million and you have a deal !

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2015, 08:05 AM

IMHO somewhere halfway between the value in the OP and 5 times that would have seen him on his way, its a moot point now though thankfully enough.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2015, 08:07 AM
In this day and age, yes.

£1.1 million and you have a deal !

Not 5 times £250K or more anymore? :-)

EdinMike
03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Not 5 times £250K or more anymore? :-)

I'm being reasonable :wink:

bingo70
03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
IMHO somewhere halfway between the value in the OP and 5 times that would have seen him on his way, its a moot point now though thankfully enough.

He's not worth what someone was willing to pay.

You would need to calculate how much failing to get promotion would cost us along with the ill feeling from the fans it would bring.

£1.5-2M would be needed to cover that imo

Onion
03-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Glad Hibs held off, Allan is quality and worth decent money.

Jan signings show drive to try get out of this league. Competition for places in team at long last. Could not be more different to end of last season, when it looked like no one wanted to play.

Brightside
03-02-2015, 08:38 AM

I reckon if they had offered over 500k there would have been a big conversation to have.

SouthMoroccoStu
03-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Great decision from the club

Knowing the blood money Utd were getting from celtic, accepting a bid of £250k would have been crazy

Loved the excitement of the Utd fans when kenny Miller (the sun) reported we'd got fyvie

The amount of them that thought this meant their deal for Allan was back on.

There will be a lot of very unhappy Arabs this morning and I can't blame them

There club sold them out last night and replaced with nothing

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Knowing the blood money Utd were getting from celtic, accepting a bid of £250k would have been crazy

Loved the excitement of the Utd fans when kenny Miller (the sun) reported we'd got fyvie

Cheeky tho their bid for Allan was...i have sympathy for them...we Hibs fans more than most know exactly how it feels to be sold down the river by a board. Makes me all the more grateful for this new found Hibs that wants to strengthen the team above all else...long may it continue. ..onwards and upwards :)

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2015, 08:51 AM

:agree: they done what we used to do.

What a difference we're seeing - early moves in the window, quality coming in, players who're worth money not being sold to the first bidder.

Long live Dempster and Stubbs.

03-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Would have been absolute suicide for hibs to have sold him last night but I reckon Utd were mostly just trying to appease their fans.

MB62
03-02-2015, 09:26 AM
The fact Celtc signed another two midfield players for £2m must be good news for us in our effort to keep Dylan McGeouch.

Piqué
03-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Not so long ago United valued Allan at £2m when they sold him to West Brom. They can't have actually believed they could get him back for only a tenth of that a couple of years later.

Spike Mandela
03-02-2015, 09:39 AM
If we want him to sign an extension here I think promotion is essential this year.

If Dundee Utd fans reflect though, they are challenging for second in the league, in the league cup final, still in the Scottish cup and now cash rich. Pretty good position to be in.

PeterboroHibee
03-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Cheeky tho their bid for Allan was...i have sympathy for them...we Hibs fans more than most know exactly how it feels to be sold down the river by a board. Makes me all the more grateful for this new found Hibs that wants to strengthen the team above all else...long may it continue. ..onwards and upwards :)

Id have more sympathy for them if they hadnt essentially tried to do the same thing to us.

GreenOnions
03-02-2015, 10:47 AM
The thing about Scott Allan for me is that he's one of the main reasons I've been watching Hibs with a smile on my face this season. IMHO he's real quality but it's the way he tries to play the game and the way he thinks on the pitch that I really enjoy.

I accept that not all his passes come off but, as many have pointed out, he's there to try the most difficult of passes at the top end of the pitch. He's still only 23 and has played less than 70 first team games in total. He is only going to get better.

I know the accountants might see things differently but I'd side with the marketing people on this one and suggest that we keep Scott as long as he's happy here - even if that means him running down his contract in 18 months' time.

ancient hibee
03-02-2015, 10:53 AM
If we want him to sign an extension here I think promotion is essential this year.

If Dundee Utd fans reflect though, they are challenging for second in the league, in the league cup final, still in the Scottish cup and now cash rich. Pretty good position to be in.

What position will Cash Rich play in the League Cup final?

Spike Mandela
03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
What position will Cash Rich play in the League Cup final?

Who's to say they can't still win it? Still got really good players imo.

Heisenberg
03-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Would've done the club way more harm than good to sell him, especially now. He may well go in the summer but we've at least got him for this promotion push.

carnoustiehibee
03-02-2015, 11:11 AM

Utd fans don't think like that tho! Still think they should be winning the European cup.

I don't think Thomson was ever going to offer a decent price for Allan,it's was more to try apease the fans. He's trying to raise enough money to buy a team in the A-league....he's got a hard neck as well offering £250k then moaning about low bids for his "stars"

JimBHibees
03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Utd fans don't think like that tho! Still think they should be winning the European cup.

I don't think Thomson was ever going to offer a decent price for Allan,it's was more to try apease the fans. He's trying to raise enough money to buy a team in the A-league....he's got a hard neck as well offering £250k then moaning about low bids for his "stars"

A massive lack of ambition for United IMO to sell these two players in this window especially given they are playing Celtic in a final next month. You could understand getting some money for GMS however no way should they have sold Armstrong.

They sold Gauld and Robertson for substantial sums in the last window (5.85m in total though appreciate Gaulds reported fee 3m would likely be paid over time). Dont understand the thinking especially given the final coming up.

Just imagine the reaction if Hibs did this.

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
A massive lack of ambition for United IMO to sell these two players in this window especially given they are playing Celtic in a final next month. You could understand getting some money for GMS however no way should they have sold Armstrong.

They sold Gauld and Robertson for substantial sums in the last window (5.85m in total though appreciate Gaulds reported fee 3m would likely be paid over time). Dont understand the thinking especially given the final coming up.

A United chum has told he has heard that they are doing a Hibs and want to do the stadium/training ground thingy.

SunshineOnLeith
03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
It's a strange one because if they'd bid around 800k we'd have had a serious decision to make, and you'd have thought signing Allan would have gone a long way to placating their fans while allowing them to turn a 7 digit profit on deadline day. Glad their bid stayed so low as it was an easy rejection for Hibs and, as others have said, I support a football team, not a balance sheet.

AndyM_1875
03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
The United bids were just Gesture Politics in a bid to placate the understandably angry Arabs support.

jacomo
03-02-2015, 12:49 PM

:agree:

Seems nuts to me. Really thought they were on an upward curve too.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2015, 12:52 PM

We did it before the semi v Hearts unfortunately.

Mathias Jack
03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Granted he's not been with the club very long but he's been breath of fresh to watch this season, the lad has talent in abundance.

Anybody else like me think we should offer him a 1 year extension in the summer to his current deal?

He's the type of player you look to build a team around. And the extension would tell any potential suitors, we won't let him go unless they offer a very pretty penny.

Andy74
03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
:agree:

Seems nuts to me. Really thought they were on an upward curve too.

Their statement makes sense though - they have been able to further invest in what they feel is some of the countries top young players and brought in a couple of proven players in Anier and Dixon.

If the money can be used to further increase their ability to replicate success for longer then fair enough.

Key was that both players had made very clear they wanted to move on and they made a point of saying that footballers decide where they play now. It can be worse to keep players that don't want to be there, particularly when you balance it with not getting the cash for them either.

What they have to get right, as we have seen, is the players you do bring in to keep it going. If they turn out not to be as good and if you fritter that cash away then it hasn't been good.

PatHead
03-02-2015, 12:57 PM
The United bids were just Gesture Politics in a bid to placate the understandably angry Arabs support.

Not so sure, they might have been putting in a marker for the summer if we don't get promoted.

Looking at their position objectively I don't think they could have turned down £2m for those players - look at Holt at Hearts, they were offered £500k and one year later let him go for nothing. -

It is true Utd are trying to build a training complex closer to Tannadice for Community use and build this relationship with the Australian club. As we know only too well these things cost money and with the money they have received for Gauld and those two they will be well on their way to getting there. The Utd crowds are very disappointing and they have to build a long term infrastructure which is self sustaining.

Yes it will hurt in the short term but if we had been offered a million for Scott Allen would we have turned that down, doubt it. Every player has his price and you don't know when the next gem will appear.

BTW how can Thompson own Dundee Utd and an Australian club if Ashley can't own Newcastle and The Rangers?

Andy74
03-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Not so sure, they might have been putting in a marker for the summer if we don't get promoted.

Looking at their position objectively I don't think they could have turned down £2m for those players - look at Holt at Hearts, they were offered £500k and one year later let him go for nothing. -

It is true Utd are trying to build a training complex closer to Tannadice for Community use and build this relationship with the Australian club. As we know only too well these things cost money and with the money they have received for Gauld and those two they will be well on their way to getting there. The Utd crowds are very disappointing and they have to build a long term infrastructure which is self sustaining.

Yes it will hurt in the short term but if we had been offered a million for Scott Allen would we have turned that down, doubt it. Every player has his price and you don't know when the next gem will appear.

BTW how can Thompson own Dundee Utd and an Australian club if Ashley can't own Newcastle and The Rangers?

Their statement said they were not interested in buying any other club.

JimBHibees
03-02-2015, 01:08 PM
We did it before the semi v Hearts unfortunately.

Yes we did however they have now sold 4 of their best players in 6 months.

Andy74
03-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Yes we did however they have now sold 4 of their best players in 6 months.

Southampton did the same - it's how you use the funds most effectively that will eventually decide whether this is the moment they have been able to cash in and push on on whether this ends the revival they had had.

JimBHibees
03-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Southampton did the same - it's how you use the funds most effectively that will eventually decide whether this is the moment they have been able to cash in and push on on whether this ends the revival they had had.

Undoubtedly a huge gamble and they must have faith in their younger kids coming through. They have also signed a few half decent players including Dixo, Anier and McGowan so they have strengthened also. It does sound like the players were pushing to leave also.
I notice they signed a young forward who they then loaned back to Arbroath Simon Murray so we will see how good he is this weekend.

Mathias Jack
03-02-2015, 03:12 PM

As Newcastle and Rangers are in the same confederation (UEFA), there'd be a conflict of interest should they ever come up against each other in European competition (not that it's ever gonna be likely for either of them any time soon!)

southsider
03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Undoubtedly a huge gamble and they must have faith in their younger kids coming through. They have also signed a few half decent players including Dixo, Anier and McGowan so they have strengthened also. It does sound like the players were pushing to leave also.
I notice they signed a young forward who they then loaned back to Arbroath Simon Murray so we will see how good he is this weekend.
h mind his dad, Gary, when he played for us. Run about all day but didny score many goals

jgl07
03-02-2015, 03:20 PM

They are in different Federations.

Newcastle and Rangers could theoretically meet in the Europa League.

Manchester City own Melbourne City and New York City, or rather Manchester City Holdings own all three clubs. That does not appear to break any rules. City also invested in Yokohama Marininos but did not acquire a majority stake as they were paer of the same (Asian) Federation as Melbourne.

JimBHibees
03-02-2015, 03:21 PM
h mind his dad, Gary, when he played for us. Run about all day but didny score many goals

Oh didnt realise that. Always quite liked Gary Murray as you say an honest sort but didnt score much.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Oh didnt realise that. Always quite liked Gary Murray as you say an honest sort but didnt score much.

I remember him scoring a fantastic goal at ER into the top corner from about 25yds at the Cowshed end that was disallowed for offside cos of a player being offside at the edge of the box, the net did well to stop it! :-)

monktonharp
03-02-2015, 11:01 PM
There would have been a bloody riot if we accepted that:agree: nope, the problem nowadays is that there would maybe an outcry on social media. end of.

monktonharp
03-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I reckon if they had offered over 500k there would have been a big conversation to have.:agree:

monktonharp
03-02-2015, 11:11 PM

If Dundee Utd fans reflect though, they are challenging for second in the league, in the league cup final, still in the Scottish cup and now cash rich. Pretty good position to be in.maybe they can upgrade their stand(s) like we did when 2 of our players engineered last minute moves to bigger clubs? wonder how the D.Utd fans feel now when it's actually happened to them? quick enough to laugh at us, so I have no sympathy.

monktonharp
03-02-2015, 11:16 PM
A United chum has told he has heard that they are doing a Hibs and want to do the stadium/training ground thingy.:wink:

monktonharp
03-02-2015, 11:27 PM
We did it before the semi v Hearts unfortunately.:agree: as you said. too many quick to respond to, much too low a bid for our man, we don't do that, etc and to feel for the Utd. fans. we have had years of it, Garry O'Connor of late, just before a final comes to mind. the real United fans will now realise that players, are driven by their agents and the bottom line is for the said agents to achieve the maximum profit as soon as possible for them and their player(s). Celtic, have no interest in the needs or wishes of Scottish fans other than their own ambitions and feel no angst if every other club hates what they do the modern Scottish game.

Jack
03-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Dundee United were one of the clubs that did a deal with their bankers.

IIRC they had to pay a percentage to the bank from their sales in the summer. Maybe they were under pressure from the bank to sell.

monktonharp
03-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Dundee United were one of the clubs that did a deal with their bankers.

IIRC they had to pay a percentage to the bank from their sales in the summer. Maybe they were under pressure from the bank to sell. quite possible, although I know nowt about bank ****. I do recall though, that Mc Lean, when he was manager, was actually slaughtered in the press for signing young players for 8 year contracts to keep them with United. he then went on to win them the league ,if you recall.:wink:

gorgie greens
04-02-2015, 12:09 AM
A United chum has told he has heard that they are doing a Hibs and want to do the stadium/training ground thingy.

Aye and get relegated,i would rather watch a decent team any time,
Glad the board knocked the bid back ,the stand out player in the division IMO

hfc rd
04-02-2015, 12:30 AM
The fact Celtc signed another two midfield players for £2m must be good news for us in our effort to keep Dylan McGeouch.

Never thought of that. Hopefully that is the case.

greenlex
04-02-2015, 05:16 AM
It will be interestng when the fans are majority shareholders and needing to balance the books. Some of the debates on this board will be epic.

woodythehibee
04-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Scotty's happy to be here

resident_Arab
04-02-2015, 04:29 PM
The Utd crowds are very disappointing

They are actually the opposite, very healthy home gates, best they have been for years, we must be getting 1500-2000 more home fans in for run of the mill fixtures than we were getting back in 2006 before Levein took over

Also had some very healthy away supports this season (when not getting daft away games on tv on fri/mon) including over 2100 at Easter Rd midweek earlier in the season

Our training base is St Andrews, excellent facilities, we've been there for a good few years now but what we are about to do is renovate Gussie Park across from Tannadice so it can be used all year round, it's a bit dated now so are going to invest 300k on it, should be done before the end of this season

Agree the bids for Allan were just to appease our angry support but now the dust has settled everyone is feeling a bit better, we look to have came out of the window with a stronger defence, just need to hope guys like Dow,Erskine,Anier,Bilate,Connolly,Spittal and Muirhead along with Ciftci can do the business at the other end

The Final is an issue because Ciftci is suspended, he is our best player (better than GMS and Armstrong)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Dundee United be like... https://vine.co/v/hUt6YJDmZpu :greengrin

sleeping giant
04-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Scotty's happy to be here

Did you really put a kiss on that tweet ?
X

woodythehibee
04-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Did you really put a kiss on that tweet ?
X
It's not my tweet.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2015, 06:59 PM
quite possible, although I know nowt about bank ****. I do recall though, that Mc Lean, when he was manager, was actually slaughtered in the press for signing young players for 8 year contracts to keep them with United. he then went on to win them the league ,if you recall.:wink:

Not quite.
He was slaughtered for these long term contracts some considerable years after they won their league title. Indeed, he was being slaughtered for it when they were winning not a lot of silverware at all as I recall. And they went down as well.....