PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Scotsman And Edinburgh Evening News RSS Feeds

Mikey
02-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Just to let you know that Hibs.net has taken the decision to turn off news feeds from the Scotsman and Edinburgh Evening News.

It’s disappointing that on such an important day for the club, with the launch of the share issue that is designed to encourage fan ownership, the only article on the subject in either of these publications contained a picture of someone in a gorilla suit taking a swipe at OUR club.

Iain G
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Just to let you know that Hibs.net has taken the decision to turn off news feeds from the Scotsman and Edinburgh Evening News.

It’s disappointing that on such an important day for the club, with the launch of the share issue that is designed to encourage fan ownership, the only article on the subject in either of these publications contained a picture of someone in a gorilla suit taking a swipe at OUR club.

I think a positive, brave and fantastic decision, well done guys :-)

emerald green

:top marks

Lago

Good for .net

Gatecrasher
02-02-2015, 07:30 PM

After the arse kissing they have given Hearts over the last few years this was a slap in the face.

hibbydad
02-02-2015, 07:30 PM

Well done Mickey these papers are a disgrace and have been biased towards the jambos as long as I can remember and I'm not a youngster

WillowbraeHibby
02-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Now that is a very good decision... :aok: Well done :agree:

madhatter
02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
:thumbsup:

Borderhibbie76
02-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Great decision 100% agree...nothing but a jambo rag

Thecat23
02-02-2015, 07:32 PM
EEN is finished, sooner it shuts down the better!

theonlywayisup
02-02-2015, 07:33 PM

Agree 100%

Fergos
02-02-2015, 07:33 PM
100% correct.

Great shout and one which all Hibees should endorse. Those rags have became an absolute disgrace.

Viva la revolution

GGTTH

Cabbage
02-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Laying off staff all over (of which I'm one) only a matter if time before it closes it's doors for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbyRod
02-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Well done Mikey and the Team!

The Scotsman/Edinburgh Evening News non-coverage of the HSL/Shares initiative is a total disgrace!

Especially giving "oxygen" to these HOH loonies!

GGTTH !

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Good decision, they've reached the point where they dinnae even attempt to hide their bias in favour of Hearts. The "Talk of the town" (name says it all I suppose) column has a dig at Hibs on an almost daily basis.

Eaststand
02-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Good decision folks and well done for taking some action

GGTTH

Eyrie
02-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Pathetic from our two local papers, so a fair and appropriate response from .net.

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Good Mikey!

They are an absolute ****ing disgrace.

Perhaps it's time that the club stopped cooperating with them

BT58
02-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Well done Mike and .net
The Evening news is actually printed in the morning and in Glesgae.
Over priced crap of a paper

greenginger
02-02-2015, 07:43 PM

Who owns the rag now ? and who is the editor

Iain G
02-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Its not just Hibs, for a local paper that should be promoting the good things going on in Edinburgh it fails miserably with negative stories throughout the paper.

Cabbage
02-02-2015, 07:44 PM
It's owned by Johnston Press.

PatHead
02-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Good Mikey!

Suggested that on another thread, don't know why a struggling newspaper would want to alienate itself from a lot of its readership.

Kato
02-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Well done, have to say. Still think a lot of the "comments" on their Hibs pages comes from inhouse and that their jambo bias has increased along with a reduction in their reporters skills, meaning they can't even disguise it any more.

Wouldn't have either paper in the hoose these days.

Andy74
02-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Quite right.

weecounty hibby
02-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Well done. Hibs and by extension the fans shouldn't have to put up with the one sided, negative nonsense routed by these "journalists". With a bit of luck the club will take some sort of action too

Sergey
02-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Laying off staff all over (of which I'm one) only a matter if time before it closes it's doors for good.

Sorry to hear you're being laid off.

As you'll know, Johnston Press have some right rank titles in their portfolio. They cover grimmest Lincolnshire, the arse end of the Midlands, the bleak of NE England and a number of dodgy titles in Northern Ireland. None of these areas are huge advertising strongholds and this has hit their revenues hard. On the flip side, here in London we have three daily free-sheets that probably turn more revenue in a day than the Scotsman/EEN turn in a fortnight.

Disclaimer - apologies to anyone who lives in Driffield/St Helens/Hartlepool, but....:tin hat:

Iain G
02-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Well done, have to say. Still think a lot of the "comments" on their Hibs pages comes from inhouse and that their jambo bias has increased along with a reduction in their reporters skills, meaning they can't even disguise it any more.

Wouldn't have either paper in the hoose these days.

Considering I religiously bought the Scotsman and SoS for many years its amazing and sad how far these papers have fallen in my time away from Edinburgh.

mca
02-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Down here in the south, I tend to get some of my news feeds from them.. All cancelled now...

Kato
02-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Suggested that on another thread, don't know why a struggling newspaper would want to alienate itself from a lot of its readership.

They think "controversy" makes good copy. Their gimpoid readership comes first in their book so they are really selling those stories to whip them up.

Hope the whole lot goes to wall toot sweet. A gap for a new newspaper in Edinburgh might even attract someone willing to publish an actual newspaper instead of that curtain twitching, scarf twirling rag.

greenginger
02-02-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm sure STF 's Tyres at Farmers ran several full page adds in the Evening News last week.

He needs to get a message through to Johnston Press that advertising will cease unless a balanced level of reporting is adopted.

Big_Franck
02-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Good Mikey!

I'd agree with that. The total lack of coverage the share issue has received should be the final straw.

Well done Mikey and hibs.net for taking this action.

Bostonhibby
02-02-2015, 08:02 PM

More power to your elbow admins. Good call

emerald green
02-02-2015, 08:06 PM
They think "controversy" makes good copy. Their gimpoid readership comes first in their book so they are really selling those stories to whip them up.

Hope the whole lot goes to wall toot sweet. A gap for a new newspaper in Edinburgh might even attract someone willing to publish an actual newspaper instead of that curtain twitching, scarf twirling rag.

:agree: Every article about Hibs is absolutely swarming with Yam trolls, every day.

Some of the stuff they get away with posting is simply appalling and frankly ridiculous. Nobody with an iota of intelligence can take this publication seriously surely. Maybe some old wifies looking for some local gossip, but that's it?

BenjiOscar
02-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Completely agree with this. Paper has been a pile of dross for years now. I wonder what Stewart Brown would have made of what the EEN has become!

greenlex
02-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Does this effect Hibs.net income?

Benny Brazil
02-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Good decision 100% agree - last few months with the rise and fall of BuyHibs and HOH have highlighted the poor standard of journalism from these papers and where their priorities lie.

Ozyhibby
02-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Good decision

Mikey
02-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Does this effect Hibs.net income?

Aye. It'll go up because there won't be as much ***** on here.

lord bunberry
02-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Well done Mike and .net
The Evening news is actually printed in the morning and in Glesgae.
Over priced crap of a paper

I was told last night its now printed in Sunderland.
Its a terrible paper and i wont miss any of their pathetic stories.

Hiber-nation
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Good stuff. Pro-hearts agenda aside, their football coverage has been an absolute disgrace for years. David Hardie might be a nice guy but as a journo he's so bad it's embarrassing.

As for their main news coverage, it's as bad if not worse.

CraigHibee
02-02-2015, 08:21 PM

don't blame you mikey! that rag has been on the slide for ages and stories like that are not needed. I wonder if they would have done a story like that had it been the maroon thieves across the other side of the city having a share issue? doubt it! i read it online from time to time but i would never part with my hard earned cash for it!

lord bunberry
02-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Did they not give hearts free full page adverts when they were trying to get people to sign up to FOH?

Pretty Boy
02-02-2015, 08:27 PM
The issue for me isn't that they have given HoH coverage. It's that they have given almost no coverage whatsoever to any of the positive reaction to the share issue. They have presented HoH as the majority view which is absolutely ridiculous. The failure to provide any balanced coverage of the launch today is nothing short of a disgrace.

Carheenlea
02-02-2015, 08:28 PM
I used to be a regular buyer of the Evening News but have not bought copy for years. I occasionally buy a Scotsman if we have a derby win or occasions like the day after the Ibrox victory, and for the two weeks of The Scottish Open and Open Championship.

I have though clicked on the links when they have appeared in the feed when one appeals, but if the admins feel they want to cut them off then so be it. Can`t see too many Hibs.Net members losing too much sleep over it.

Beefster
02-02-2015, 08:36 PM
I worked in the same building as the Scotsman and EEN for a spell last year. Aside from Banderson swanning about like a narcissistic tit, none of their employees look very happy. Lots of grumbling about this and that in the lifts.

I'd never revel in folk losing their jobs but the papers are evidently on their way out. I can't even remember the last time I visited their websites, never mind read the newspapers.

Geo_1875
02-02-2015, 08:43 PM
I worked in the same building as the Scotsman and EEN for a spell last year. Aside from Banderson swanning about like a narcissistic tit, none of their employees look very happy. Lots of grumbling about this and that in the lifts.

I'd never revel in folk losing their jobs but the papers are evidently on their way out. I can't even remember the last time I visited their websites, never mind read the newspapers.

Banderson wouldn't have aclue how a journalist would behave in any given circumstance. He's an embarrassment to the trade

ekhibee
02-02-2015, 08:43 PM
:agree: Every article about Hibs is absolutely swarming with Yam trolls, every day.

Some of the stuff they get away with posting is simply appalling and frankly ridiculous. Nobody with an iota of intelligence can take this publication seriously surely. Maybe some old wifies looking for some local gossip, but that's it?
Yep. The EEN is the paper equivalent of Pie and Bovril, also totally Yam infested nowadays.

NYHibby
02-02-2015, 08:59 PM
I used to be a regular buyer of the Evening News but have not bought copy for years. I occasionally buy a Scotsman if we have a derby win or occasions like the day after the Ibrox victory, and for the two weeks of The Scottish Open and Open Championship.

I know this isn't going to be the most popular suggestion here, but I switched from occasionally buying the SoS to getting the Sunday Times for free at Waitrose (I buy just over £10 to get the free paper and coffee). The Scottish edition of the Sunday Times's coverage of Scottish football and rugby actually isn't that bad.

Tinribs
02-02-2015, 09:23 PM
I know this isn't going to be the most popular suggestion here, but I switched from occasionally buying the SoS to getting the Sunday Times for free at Waitrose (I buy just over £10 to get the free paper and coffee). The Scottish edition of the Sunday Times's coverage of Scottish football and rugby actually isn't that bad.

I am an occasional Sunday Times reader too, i just have to pretend to myself that it is in no way related to the Express.

Even paying for it rather than a freebie is worth it, the thing is huge and takes most of the day to digest :)

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2015, 09:26 PM

with you 100% Mikey. It doesn't take talent to be deliberately provocative and increasingly I've found the Scotsman resorting to such tactics. It's completely gone down market to scramble for eyeballs. Stuff them. Integrity, professionalism out the window shame. The thing is such down market publications are 10-a-penny and the others do it much better. Scotsman RIP adapt or die.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2015, 09:29 PM

OBH ? I should have said hello! ;)

jdships
02-02-2015, 09:30 PM

After the arse kissing they have given Hearts over the last few years this was a slap in the face.

Kojock
02-02-2015, 09:31 PM
If you switched it off without the announcement Mikey, I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Cabbage East
02-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Good. Both of them can bolt after the last couple of years.

Kato
02-02-2015, 09:34 PM

Sunday Times is a great read.

One Day
02-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Well done Mickey these papers are a disgrace and have been biased towards the jambos as long as I can remember and I'm not a youngster

They always have been "Edinburgh's Darlings", can do no wrong

Kato
02-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Just to be a bit more fiendish is there any way IP addresses from the Scotsman offices can be blocked?

Hank Schrader
02-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Well played guys. Great decision.

The last time I purchased a copy of the EEN I was left wondering whether I would have gotten better insight into the days news and current affairs by purchasing the Beano instead. Utter garbage.

Beefster
02-02-2015, 09:58 PM
OBH ? I should have said hello! ;)

It probably turns out I was sitting three yards away from you!

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2015, 10:00 PM
It probably turns out I was sitting three yards away from you!

Ah I think we've met S? And played footie up at Saughton?

#2 Double Tap
02-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Good decision 100% agree - last few months with the rise and fall of BuyHibs and HOH have highlighted the poor standard of journalism from these papers and where their priorities lie.

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

just a **** paper with far too much of a maroon or is it moron tint.

skipster7
02-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Good decision, The Scotsman is a complete rag. Never realised just how bad until their referendum coverage. Shameful.

Borderhibbie76
02-02-2015, 11:37 PM
I tweeted them earlier about lack of balanced coverage re share issue... No reply

poolman
02-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Havny bought that rag in yonks

And its 65P. WTF

greenginger
02-02-2015, 11:51 PM
I tweeted them earlier about lack of balanced coverage re share issue... No reply

Did you mention the free full page ad they gave Foundation of Hearts or the amount of money STF spends with them on advertising his business.

The Harp
02-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Good on the admins for their stance. The Hibs share issue should have been a main story for any half-decent local newspaper. Not to give it any coverage is shameful. And to give space to this gorilla nonsense just makes it even worse.

Mon Dieu4
02-02-2015, 11:58 PM
I couldn't tell you the last time I actually bought any newspaper, they are all pretty shocking these days, the evening news has always been tragic though, we live in a fantastic cosmopolitan City and the EEN was always full of doom and gloom, seemed like it was aimed at OAPS more than anyone else, I did however have a wee glance at someone in works copy today, the obituaries were the most interesting part of the whole rag

Aldo
03-02-2015, 04:06 AM
Good on the admins for their stance. The Hibs share issue should have been a main story for any half-decent local newspaper. Not to give it any coverage is shameful. And to give space to this gorilla nonsense just makes it even worse.

I tweeted Banderson about this and surprise surprise..... No reply!!

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2015, 06:40 AM
Will this decision cost the EEN money?

Peevemor
03-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Will this decision cost the EEN money?

I would imagine so, as there'll be less people looking at their site. I often click on newsfeed links that I see on here, but I no longer search their sites on a daily basis looking for Hibs stuff. There's rarely anything 'new' in their news in any case.

Jack Ferrigan
03-02-2015, 07:07 AM
It's not surprising that this has happened. I have watched the demise of both these newspapers from overseas for the last 14 years. Being Edinburgh born and bred I used to look forward to reading both online versions. As the song goes "those days are past now" the present drivel being presented as news and sports coverage is truly diabolical. The bias towards one team from the capital and the shameful coverage of the Independence Referendum was the last straw for me . Here's to a new unbiased newspaper for the whole of Edinburgh and The Lothians!

Green Man
03-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Excellent decision by the admin team. I used to buy the Evening News every day, then changed to reading the website every day, but the terrible standard of journalism and the morph into a Hearts mouthpiece have turned me off completely.

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2015, 08:52 AM
I would imagine so, as there'll be less people looking at their site. I often click on newsfeed links that I see on here, but I no longer search their sites on a daily basis looking for Hibs stuff. There's rarely anything 'new' in their news in any case.

Good. Hopefully they've been informed of the decision as well.

Bostonhibby
03-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Just unsubscribed from both sites

s.a.m
03-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Good decision.

Given the parlous state they're in, I can't get my head around their derisory and disdainful approach to Hibs. I would have thought that a reasonable percentage of their dwindling readership are fans of the Edinburgh teams, and half (ish) of those will be Hibs fans. You'd think they would be trying to hang on to us. It kind of looks like they've given up.

I'm not looking for preferential or biased coverage; just a fair account of what's going on at Hibs would do. Their coverage of the Hibs share issue and current protests is frankly bizarre. It's like following the general election from the perspective of the Monster Raving Loony Party.

MrSmith
03-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Used to enjoy reading the EEN particulary the old pink news after the match. However, in recent years, the content and reporting of anything newsworthy has declined in both interest and quality resulting in me leaving it on the shelf. The old lady is definitely passed her best and due to the sycophantic relationship with HOMFC, has alienated many. RIP EEN ...

Spike Mandela
03-02-2015, 10:14 AM
My first ever job was delivering Evening News' to the high flats at Sighthill and the Pinks on a Saturday.

Probably an essential part of my life for forty years or so. Can't remember the last time I bought one.

Glesgahibby
03-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Good decision that reflects the views of the majority on here.
well done :aok:

jacomo
03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Expect retribution from embittered journos at The Scotsman.

'This isn't a fan message board, it's a shake down'. etc etc

:greengrin

ACLeith
03-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Wow! a 3-page thread where there is 100% agreement, is this a first? :greengrin

ancient hibee
03-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I am an occasional Sunday Times reader too, i just have to pretend to myself that it is in no way related to the Express.

Even paying for it rather than a freebie is worth it, the thing is huge and takes most of the day to digest :)

You won't have to pretend too hard -the Sunday Times has nothing to do with the Express.

STOP PRESS Evening News to be in newsagents from early morning from now on.This is supposed to be a step forward for readers.

cabbageandribs1875
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
My first ever job was delivering Evening News' to the high flats at Sighthill and the Pinks on a Saturday.

Probably an essential part of my life for forty years or so. Can't remember the last time I bought one.

40+ years is a long time delivering papers :greengrin

CentreLine
03-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Just unsubscribed from both sites

Please point me in the right direction for where I can do that too. I've signed in with my user name but can't find the option to remove my details

cabbageandribs1875
03-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Please point me in the right direction for where I can do that too. I've signed in with my user name but can't find the option to remove my details

do you not receive a daily e-mail from them ? there's an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the e-mail

CentreLine
03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
do you not receive a daily e-mail from them ? there's an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the e-mail

Ah, yes I do and delete it without checking it. Cheers I will go right to my trash folder now :aok:

Kato
03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Wow! a 3-page thread where there is 100% agreement, is this a first? :greengrin

No.

DarlingtonHibee
03-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Good decision that reflects the views of the majority on here.
well done :aok: This

lord bunberry
03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Come on there must be someone who disagrees:greengrin

ACLeith
03-02-2015, 11:33 AM
No.

OK, but pretty unique though ?

Libby Hibby
03-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Shocking newspapers nowadays and its a shame. Their lack of fair coverage during the referendum summed them up for me.

When speaking to RP about the Share issue on Saturday in 1875, he actually said it was exciting times for the club but it was sad the stance The Scotsman and some 'Jambo Journilists' were taking, which I could only assume he meant by their support of the share scheme. To which I replied, the smart people will see through the print and decide with the cold hard facts placed in front of them.

To think back to all the positive, pro active bombardment of the Hearts 'share issue' that was rammed down our throats by the 2 papers at their launch just shows how one sided and biased they both are.

H18S NX
03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
:aok:

givescotlandfreedom
03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Its not just Hibs, for a local paper that should be promoting the good things going on in Edinburgh it fails miserably with negative stories throughout the paper.

Except when it comes to the charity thieving tax dodgers sadly. Well rid, they have no credibility any more.

jacomo
03-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Did they not give hearts free full page adverts when they were trying to get people to sign up to FOH?

Yes, they did, good point. At least two, possibly more, with editorial and the EEN getting 'I'm an MP' to say nice things about them.

Bathgate, Banderson and the rest - a bunch of childish losers. Keep talking amongst yourselves while we try and get our club back to where it should be.

KeithTheHibby
03-02-2015, 01:19 PM
I still read the Scotsman online sports section first thing in the morning and have found the articles about the share issue to be negative especially from that yam **** Bathgate. The other sports articles seem ok and haven't found much bias when reporting on Hibs games.
I gave up on the EEN years ago, horrible paper.

Out of interest how do the general news articles come across? I used to find them ok and better than the other tabloids.

Anyway good decision hibs.net, respect for the stance taken:agree:

MrSmith
03-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Glasgow Herald best newspaper in Scotland imo.

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2015, 01:40 PM
You won't have to pretend too hard -the Sunday Times has nothing to do with the Express.

STOP PRESS Evening News to be in newsagents from early morning from now on.This is supposed to be a step forward for readers.

They'll need to consider re branding?!

ACLeith
03-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Glasgow Herald best newspaper in Scotland imo.
Agree Mr S. I was a Scotsman reader for a long time but gave up about 10 years ago when the change of owner made it lurch to another right wing rag. Switched to The Herald (not now "Glasgow" BTW!) and have been with it and Sunday Herald ever since. Decent journalists and not really west-coast-centric.

HappyHibby93
03-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Top marks, total disgrace how bias the papers are, no positivity towards HSL whatsoever. Cheap journalism, tabloid journalism..

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

silverhibee
03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Should have just went the full hog and banned all the rags, not as if The Sun and Daily Record have gave us much backing either.

FranckSuzy
03-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Should have just went the full hog and banned all the rags, not as if The Sun and Daily Record have gave us much backing either.

But we'd miss all the Deek and GOC stories :tee hee:

silverhibee
03-02-2015, 04:03 PM
But we'd miss all the Deek and GOC stories :tee hee:

Douglas Walker. Yam Welt.

GGTTH

Waxy
03-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Well done Hibs.net. Been boycotting the paper myself anyway since they got behind them during their administration farce.

weonlywon6-2
03-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Well done for taking the stance,fully behind .net on this
👍

Cabbage
03-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Step forward my hoop it's down to trying to get a print slot and obviously now been given an earlier print time. Used to be 4 editions cut gradually down due to falling circulation (I remember 45k on one edition alone) now circulation is falling fast and it's only a matter of time before the paper edition goes altogether and the resort to online only.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2015, 08:25 PM
I wonder if an order of "ju suis merde" tshirts would suit?