PDA

View Full Version : Making The Play-offs

Turkish Green
01-02-2015, 09:09 AM
I know this thread is a little premature but nevertheless after another 2 Pts dropped yesterday it looks more than likely that 2nd place is out of reach, so we will end up in the 3/4 place game. Even by our own crap luck we surely cannot end up in 5th.

I am confident that Hibs would beat Sevco over 2 legs to make the Play-off final but I have doubts they will manage to beat QOS (or Falkirk) over 2 legs in the 3/4 place games. Far too many drawn games this season against lesser teams mainly due to a lack of fire power. Finishing 3rd is imperative to get home advantage for the 2nd leg.

Keeping El Alagui and Malonga fit and injury free for the Play-offs is a must. The prospect of 6 knock out games over less than 3 weeks is a big ask after a long season. Last season the Play-off games were between 6 - 25 May. However this season while the Championship finishes on 02 May, the Premiership goes on until 24 May with the Cup final on 30 May. Therefore it looks like the Play-off final will be in the first week of June.

But at least this season we will have a team that is committed, unlike Butcher's. We can only hope that Sevco get such a doing today that they implode and blow the remainder of their season.

rcarter1
01-02-2015, 09:20 AM
I know this thread is a little premature but nevertheless after another 2 Pts dropped yesterday it looks more than likely that 2nd place is out of reach, so we will end up in the 3/4 place game. Even by our own crap luck we surely cannot end up in 5th.

I am confident that Hibs would beat Sevco over 2 legs to make the Play-off final but I have doubts they will manage to beat QOS (or Falkirk) over 2 legs in the 3/4 place games. Far too many drawn games this season against lesser teams mainly due to a lack of fire power. Finishing 3rd is imperative to get home advantage for the 2nd leg.

Keeping El Alagui and Malonga fit and injury free for the Play-offs is a must. The prospect of 6 knock out games over less than 3 weeks is a big ask after a long season. Last season the Play-off games were between 6 - 25 May. However this season while the Championship finishes on 02 May, the Premiership goes on until 24 May with the Cup final on 30 May. Therefore it looks like the Play-off final will be in the first week of June.

But at least this season we will have a team that is committed, unlike Butcher's. We can only hope that Sevco get such a doing today that they implode and blow the remainder of their season.

Agree that 3/4 is looking likely. I think we are favourites against all the teams we would meet in the playoffs, but Rangers could be more dangerous than our results against them suggest. With a fully fit squad though, I think we are close to 50/50 of getting promotion this season.

sleeping giant
01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
We will finish at least 2nd.
Absolutely confident .

Vini1875
01-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Yes it is premature to suggest 2nd place has gone. You're forgetting one thing, the huns are murder. We need to up our consistency its true but with a couple of players back in Dominic and Farid I think we will be stronger. Long way to go yet.

CB_NO3
01-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Absolutely confident .
Anything less than 3 points in a fortnight and we have no chance IMO.

Lee Marvin
01-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Absolutely confident .

'at least'

I'll have some of what you are having

AK86
01-02-2015, 09:45 AM
I'd be amazed if we get promoted this season.
judging by yesterday, we couldn't finish our tea. I wouldn't trust this team over a few games to score more than we concede.

HH81
01-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Reaching the play offs is key. They are a lottery so anything can happen.

Andy74
01-02-2015, 09:57 AM
I'd be amazed if we get promoted this season.
judging by yesterday, we couldn't finish our tea. I wouldn't trust this team over a few games to score more than we concede.

Why don't you look at our last few games then to get an idea.

Pete
01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Absolutely confident .

How is Barcelona?

AK86
01-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Why don't you look at our last few games then to get an idea.
Our last 5 games we have won 2. Do you think that is impressive, sets us up for promotion?

our home record against teams with a lot less resources than us is disgraceful. Look at the facts , open your eyes and get a bit realistic about it all.

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM

I know its a long shot, but its not outwith the bounds of possibility that the cup final could be a factor here. Given a kind draw and the luck needed to get there its possible that Fakirk, The Zombies or even Hibs could be involved in that game.

Andy74
01-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Our last 5 games we have won 2. Do you think that is impressive, sets us up for promotion?

our home record against teams with a lot less resources than us is disgraceful. Look at the facts , open your eyes and get a bit realistic about it all.

You could extend it to 8 and we've won 5 and drawn 3. Hammering Rangers, beating Queen of the South away and drawing with Hearts away.

All quite relevant for play offs.

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
I think that we will finish third, feeling confident that we can win the play offs despite blips like yesterday.

AK86
01-02-2015, 10:35 AM
You could extend it to 8 and we've won 5 and drawn 3. Hammering Rangers, beating Queen of the South away and drawing with Hearts away.

Okay , you have convinced me. We are going to skoosh this league.

Gordy M
01-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Thing is, and i know our results have been up and down, i cant remember the last team that actually looked like beating US?? Most of the games when we have dropped points have been when the other team have basically 'stolen' a result from us!? Id be confident against anyone in the play offs.

Turkish Green
01-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes it is premature to suggest 2nd place has gone. You're forgetting one thing, the huns are murder. We need to up our consistency its true but with a couple of players back in Dominic and Farid I think we will be stronger. Long way to go yet.

I thought that after the Derby we could overtake Sevco and challenge the yams. Sevco will drop points but we are dropping them too, and likely to continue to do so. 3rd is probably the best that we will achieve.

trev the hat
01-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Away form is good, home form not so good I think it's 6 draws, 5 wins & 1 defeat. ER is far to generous to visiting teams.

01-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Hopefully a heavy, demorilising defeat for the huns today that knocks their confidence and hopefully puts them off track in the league.

WillowbraeHibby
01-02-2015, 11:39 AM
I thought that after the Derby we could overtake Sevco and challenge the yams. Sevco will drop points but we are dropping them too, and likely to continue to do so. 3rd is probably the best that we will achieve.

Unfortunately QOS (Game in hand) & Falkirk, will be down our necks all the way to the finish line, and Sevco having 3 games in hand, (they may drop points or not?), will not make it easy for us to get that 3rd spot.
I truly hope for the Club and for the supporters sake that we do manage to go up, but like everybody else, it will be a case of wait and see... And HOPE!

emerald green
01-02-2015, 12:51 PM
It's all very well making the play-offs, but that of course guarantees nothing.

My big fear is that Hibs will dominate a team (which I don't know) in a play-off but still not win because they still have that capacity to self-destruct, just like yesterday.

Hibs, as a team / club, just do not (yet) have that ruthless winning mentality that it takes to win crunch matches. Not on a consistent basis anyway. On their day, Hibs are the best footballing side in the Championship by a mile, and are probably better than quite a few teams in the SPFL. That though is not all that's required.

WillowbraeHibby
01-02-2015, 12:59 PM
It's all very well making the play-offs, but that of course guarantees nothing.

My big fear is that Hibs will dominate a team (which I don't know) in a play-off but still not win because they still have that capacity to self-destruct, just like yesterday.

Hibs, as a team / club, just do not (yet) have that ruthless winning mentality that it takes to win crunch matches. Not on a consistent basis anyway. On their day, Hibs are the best footballing side in the Championship by a mile, and are probably better than quite a few teams in the SPFL. That though is not all that's required.

I'm glad somebody else has the same thoughts / fears as myself...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-02-2015, 01:03 PM
See if we don't get promotion, I still want Stubbs to stay and go again next year to win the league.

WillowbraeHibby
01-02-2015, 01:08 PM
See if we don't get promotion, I still want Stubbs to stay and go again next year to win the league.

Will Stubbs stay... I hope so!

Will we have a decent squad?... ? I guess that time will tell BMD...

Ronniekirk
01-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Confident we will finish 3rd at a canter but draws lik year day make second a big ask . playing six games in a short space of time (with a double header against Sevco ) could play into the hands of whoever finishes 12th but Suspenions ,injury and form are more likely to be our potential biggest problems If the Gods see all those intact we would be in with real chance of promotion