PDA

View Full Version : Liam Fontaine

Hibeesmad
31-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Thought he deserves a thread of his own, he's been fantastic since he's came in and well deserved man of the match today. Probably our best defender

eastcoasthibby
31-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Liam has been very good and consistent since coming in, he is a good ball player, as well as reader of the game, a threat in the air at corners getting on the end of quite a few past few weeks.
Definitely the stronger of our central defensive partnership and i would be looking to get him on a decent contract now, he would cope well if we can get promotion.
I love the way he comes out at the start of the game and acknowledges the fans and also at the end, one of the few who do it regardless, engages the way it should with the support....

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Very good signing, hopefully we can get him to extend his contract as it's up at the end of the season.

Loopz
31-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Love LF as a player but he frustrates me to death. I think he is a far better player than he has shown us, possibly only playing to 65% of his true ability.

Famous Fiver
31-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Got MOM today.

Posted missing with the rest at the goal.

Scott Allan was MOM by a country mile. He could be away by Monday night if some clubs were watching today. He must have been shaking his head at some of the dross round about him. He is a pleasure to watch.

emerald green
31-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Fontaine had a good game today. He didn't do anything wrong that I noticed.

Who was supposed to be marking Nade at the corner at the end? Hibs, as a team, need to defend fixed plays a lot better.

Brightside
31-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Liam has been very good and consistent since coming in, he is a good ball player, as well as reader of the game, a threat in the air at corners getting on the end of quite a few past few weeks.
Definitely the stronger of our central defensive partnership and i would be looking to get him on a decent contract now, he would cope well if we can get promotion.
I love the way he comes out at the start of the game and acknowledges the fans and also at the end, one of the few who do it regardless, engages the way it should with the support....

Poppycock.

B.H.F.C
31-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Poppycock.

You are very protective of Paul Hanlon eh?

Stuarty27
31-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Big Fontaine has been terrific signing.

AK86
31-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Fontaine strolled the game today. Until the last minute, when the whole team appeared to switch off.

HappyAsHellas
31-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Big Fontaine has been terrific signing.

I knew we'd agree on something:aok:

LaMotta
31-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Got MOM today.

Posted missing with the rest at the goal.

Scott Allan was MOM by a country mile. He could be away by Monday night if some clubs were watching today. He must have been shaking his head at some of the dross round about him. He is a pleasure to watch.

Allan was good but Fontaine deserved man of the match imo.

The_Horde
01-02-2015, 01:38 AM
Fontaine strolled the game today. Until the last minute, when the whole team appeared to switch off.

No. One man switched off. The man marking Nade.

snedzuk
01-02-2015, 02:03 AM
fontaine I thought was deserved mom but on two occassions towards the end hanlon was outstripped for pace by a settee - sorry - nade.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 08:51 AM
No. One man switched off. The man marking Nade.

Hanlon didn't look close to him. Keeper could've attempted a punch as well but if everyone knows the keepers doesn't come the defence need to be switched on.

A centre half should be in the striker and he wasn't.

As for Fontaine though he looks the part on the ball and defensively. Hanlon is a bit of a bomb scare on occasion and excellent on others - wonder if Fontaine and Forster are the way forward?

Aldo
01-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Hanlon didn't look close to him. Keeper could've attempted a punch as well but if everyone knows the keepers doesn't come the defence need to be switched on. A centre half should be in the striker and he wasn't. As for Fontaine though he looks the part on the ball and defensively. Hanlon is a bit of a bomb scare on occasion and excellent on others - wonder if Fontaine and Forster are the way forward?

I thought both Fontaine and Hanlon strolled it yesterday IMHO. Yeah Hanlon has his faults but in the last dozen (prob more) they have both be good.

It also depends on who is told to mark who and at most if their set pieces it was Craig that was picking up Nade. He didn't even jump that high the ball dropped right into his head.

Forster was caught ball watching a lot whilst playing last season. 2 goals for the yams at ER.

It's unfair to blame Hanlon or Fontaine for the goal yesterday.... We should of been out of sight before they scored.

Onto next week and Arbroath in the cup.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
I thought both Fontaine and Hanlon strolled it yesterday IMHO. Yeah Hanlon has his faults but in the last dozen (prob more) they have both be good.

It also depends on who is told to mark who and at most if their set pieces it was Craig that was picking up Nade. He didn't even jump that high the ball dropped right into his head.

Forster was caught ball watching a lot whilst playing last season. 2 goals for the yams at ER.

It's unfair to blame Hanlon or Fontaine for the goal yesterday.... We should of been out of sight before they scored.

Onto next week and Arbroath in the cup.

I agree Hanlons been decent (Falkirk game aside) but surely the CH(s) need to be covering the main danger, not leaving it to a midfielder? We should've been well clear but weren't and they didn't organise properly - that's why they get the blame.

Aldo
01-02-2015, 09:21 AM
I agree Hanlons been decent (Falkirk game aside) but surely the CH(s) need to be covering the main danger, not leaving it to a midfielder? We should've been well clear but weren't and they didn't organise properly - that's why they get the blame.

Can't argue that we should of been organised however they both (CH's) may of been told to mark the other CH's. One thing for sure not one of our players attacked the ball and Nade didn't even jump to get the ball.

As I mentioned poor all round to lose this.

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2015, 10:02 AM
For me Fontaine is one of the best signings we have made. Games like yesterday must drive defenders mad, for 90 minutes the back 4 restricted Raith Rovers to a couple of feeble attempts on goal and the truth is that by the time they scored the worst it should have led to was annoyance at losing a clean sheet, not 2 dropped points.

Anyway .... pleased he got MoM yesterday there's a hell of a lot more good than bad to this guy.

Smartie
01-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Fontaine was absolutely superb yesterday, he showed us exactly what he is capable of.

He is still a bit inconsistent for me, seems to be one of those players who produces a total nightmare from time to time (see Alloa away, Falkirk the other week).

If he keeps up the form he showed yesterday then we've got ourselves a very good player indeed.

Thecat23
01-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Poppycock.

I like Hanlon but Fontaine for me is the better player out the two!

EdinMike
01-02-2015, 11:32 AM
I initially picked him when asked who should be MOM. But thought McGeouch, although had a few wayward passes at times, had an excellent game too.

Eyrie
01-02-2015, 01:07 PM
fontaine I thought was deserved mom but on two occassions towards the end hanlon was outstripped for pace by a settee - sorry - nade.

Not just at the end - wasn't it Nade he brought down when he was booked?

The_Horde
01-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Hanlon didn't look close to him. Keeper could've attempted a punch as well but if everyone knows the keepers doesn't come the defence need to be switched on.

A centre half should be in the striker and he wasn't.

As for Fontaine though he looks the part on the ball and defensively. Hanlon is a bit of a bomb scare on occasion and excellent on others - wonder if Fontaine and Forster are the way forward?

It was Liam Craig marking Nade all game.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2015, 01:15 PM
LF is a decent defender and I'd sign him up on a longer deal incase a team comes in for him with a pre contract arrangement.

Speedy
01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
I initially picked him when asked who should be MOM. But thought McGeouch, although had a few wayward passes at times, had an excellent game too.

I probably would've said McGeouch but Fontaine was a close second.

Anyone else think motm was very early yesterday. Still 10 minutes left.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
It was Liam Craig marking Nade all game.

Crazy eh? Why bother with defenders?

Brightside
01-02-2015, 04:30 PM

He didn't leave it to the midfielder. He did what was agreed pre game. Craig was marking Nade and let him in. When they got another corner in the last minute Hanlon told Craig he'd mark him and ensured he got nowhere near the ball. I will stick up for Hanlon when people are talking rubbish about him. Him and Fontaine have been excellent and have been the best CH partnership in the League.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 04:43 PM
He didn't leave it to the midfielder. He did what was agreed pre game. Craig was marking Nade and let him in. When they got another corner in the last minute Hanlon told Craig he'd mark him and ensured he got nowhere near the ball. I will stick up for Hanlon when people are talking rubbish about him. Him and Fontaine have been excellent and have been the best CH partnership in the League.

I just don't understand why that would be the pre agreed plan. Defenders should be doing the defending.

Hanlon and Fontaine have been good, not sure if they're the best mind you (stats wise?).

The problem I have with him is that he always seems to have a mistake in him - a bit like Gary Smith. He's of teh age now where he'll probably not grow out of that.

Brightside
01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Every single player on the park makes mistakes. Its scottish football. The quality isn't exactly amazing. Allan will make 20 mistakes during a game and some people think he;s Zico...Hanlon makes one mistake and he gets roasted on here. Does my nut in.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Allan will make 20 mistakes during a game and some people think he;s Zico

:hilarious

How true.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2015, 04:58 PM
I just don't understand why that would be the pre agreed plan. Defenders should be doing the defending.

Hanlon and Fontaine have been good, not sure if they're the best mind you (stats wise?).

The problem I have with him is that he always seems to have a mistake in him - a bit like Gary Smith. He's of teh age now where he'll probably not grow out of that.

Bit simplistic that. Four v Ten?

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Bit simplistic that. Four v Ten?

Maybe it's simplistic if you're simple?

The defenders need to be taking control in a defensive situation.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Maybe it's simplistic if you're simple?

The defenders need to be taking control in a defensive situation.

Any need? Every man in the defending box should be defending. You never heard the term defensive midfielder? There are four defenders and ten outfield opposition. Could not make it simpler for you friend. Can you count?

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Any need? Every man in the defending box should be defending. You never heard the term defensive midfielder? There are four defenders and ten outfield opposition. Could not make it simpler for you friend. Can you count?

They should be but actual defenders should be taking control not relying on an attacking midfielder doing their job for them.

And yes I can count - not sure of the relevance though.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2015, 05:42 PM
They should be but actual defenders should be taking control not relying on an attacking midfielder doing their job for them.

And yes I can count - not sure of the relevance though.

Ah well, if you're not sure I'll leave it at that.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Ah well, if you're not sure I'll leave it at that.

You're always best to ignore the point if you can't explain it.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2015, 05:50 PM
You're always best to ignore the point if you can't explain it.

Think I already explained how 4 v 10 might not work in favour of defenders only doing the defending. Simple arithmetic.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Think I already explained how 4 v 10 might not work in favour of defenders only doing the defending. Simple arithmetic.

Oh is that what you were saying? Think we might be along the same lines then. We definitely had more than 4 defending but out experts in the subject didn't do their job.

Stuarty27
01-02-2015, 05:53 PM
:hilarious

How true.

Your constant defence of Liam Craig and negative comments about Scott Allan worry me

crash
01-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Every single player on the park makes mistakes. Its scottish football. The quality isn't exactly amazing. Allan will make 20 mistakes during a game and some people think he;s Zico...Hanlon makes one mistake and he gets roasted on here. Does my nut in.

Wasn't one mistake, Supposed to be a CH and never wins a ball in the air.Skinned on several occasions on the deck yesterday.That isn't good enough for this club.

Brightside
01-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Wasn't one mistake, Supposed to be a CH and never wins a ball in the air.Skinned on several occasions on the deck yesterday.That isn't good enough for this club.

Complete and utter rubbish.

Stevie Reid
01-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Fontaine is shear class. Sadly I can't see us retaining him at the moment.

JimBHibees
01-02-2015, 07:09 PM

Of course Allan is trying more high risk passes in much more congested areas of the pitch.

Looked from the highlights it was Craig who didn't challenge the fridge for the goal.

Stuarty27
01-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Looked from the highlights it was Craig who didn't challenge the fridge for the goal.

It was him picking up Nade, he had been for the whole game.

The_Horde
01-02-2015, 09:54 PM

They were doing the defending. Against their defenders. Craig marked Nade fine all game until then.

He's genuinely useless.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2015, 10:28 PM
They were doing the defending. Against their defenders. Craig marked Nade fine all game until then.

He's genuinely useless.

He Cant be usless if he done it the whole game. One lapse of concentration. I don't see the front men getting a barrel of abuse for missing all those chances.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 10:36 PM

He's genuinely useless.

The replay I saw he wasn't marking anyone. He'll be delighted Craig was in the vicinity though.

HoboHarry
02-02-2015, 06:26 AM

He's genuinely useless.
And yet if we put him up for sale he would more than likely end up at an SPL club. But hey, bash on with your hard of thinking comments.....

Bearders
02-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Complete and utter rubbish.

Not entirely. We require better and have done for some considerable time.

snedzuk
02-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Fontaine is shear class. Sadly I can't see us retaining him at the moment.

If this is correct I could see Aberdeen making a move for him!!

Brightside
02-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Not entirely. We require better and have done for some considerable time.

Fans? Yes i agree.