PDA

View Full Version : Keith Watson

DaveF
31-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Thought he had a very solid game today and he looks like he will be a good addition.

Be interesting to see how the defence shapes up once Gray is fit and available for selection?

whiskyhibby
31-01-2015, 07:34 PM
I didn't think he was that much of an addition to be honest, never troubled in a defensive sense but never seems to go past his man, always a back or side pass, but did ok for his first game

greenlex
31-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Thought he looked unfit to be honest. Decent enough but if we had been two if three up with 20 to go Id have hooked him for Forster. As it transpired we needs changes elsewhere.

ancient hibee
31-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Clearly not match fit-did well to keep going but even in the first half was finding it difficult to get back from upfield.Poor in the air I thought.Took up some good positions but either didn't get the ball or allowed someone to block his cross.Don't think he will let us down but won't inspire.

thebakerboy
31-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Think he is more of a defensive full back than an attacking one so is good cover but might also be used if we play 3 at the back once Gray is fit.

Smartie
31-01-2015, 08:41 PM
I'd agree with those that said he didn't look particularly fit. He did fine, reasonably solid and didn't make any mistakes or anything. Gray has set the bar quite high for right-back performances though and I'd expect him to come straight back in when he's fit again, with Watson as cover.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 08:45 PM
He was fine today but I think Gray will be straight back in the team as soon as he's fit and ready to return.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-01-2015, 08:46 PM
I was disappointed with him tbh. He's a good player but clearly not fit today. Almost everything was down the left hand side as well

Jonnyboy
31-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Need to see more of him to form a reasonable view but one thing I did notice that concerned me a little was that he kept letting the ball drop over his head when jumping in the challenge.

California-Hibs
31-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Should have scored.

Itsnoteasy
31-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Why was he playing if unfit. Goes to show a lack of depth in squad.

Eyrie
31-01-2015, 11:07 PM

So who would you have picked at RB instead? Watson is the depth/competition there for Gray, who is currently out.

LaMotta
31-01-2015, 11:09 PM
So who would you have picked at RB instead? Watson is the depth/competition there for Gray, who is currently out.

Forster.

Itsnoteasy
31-01-2015, 11:14 PM

When he gets matchfit

Eyrie
31-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Forster.

Forster is a centre half who can do a decent job as a traditional full back but under Stubbs the full backs are almost wingbacks, providing us with width and contributing in the opposition half. Shuttling up and down the touchline and whipping in crosses isn't his forte.

When he gets matchfit
So who is match fit that can play right back? And how will someone who isn't match fit get match fit without matches?

greenlex
31-01-2015, 11:19 PM
I think match fit would have been more appropriate. He was done with 20 to go IMO. I think it was right he was playing. He is the depth in the squad.

LaMotta
31-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Forster is a centre half who can do a decent job as a traditional full back but under Stubbs the full backs are almost wingbacks, providing us with width and contributing in the opposition half. Shuttling up and down the touchline and whipping in crosses isn't his forte.

So who is match fit that can play right back? And how will someone who isn't match fit get match fit without matches?

Based on todays performance i would suggest Forster is more suited to that role than Watson.

Clearly im only basing this on one performance but just think Forster will feel hard done by not to start today.

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Wasn't that impressed, though I agree he didn't look fully fit. There was a bit in the 2nd half where Allan had the ball on the touchline and the space was there for Watson to run past him for a through ball, but he didn't.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Forster.

Stubbs Would not have learned anything he didn't already know.

overdrive
01-02-2015, 09:09 AM
He was ok but he didn't seem that great going forward. It was his first game though and won't have trained a great deal with his teammates so we need to give him time.

If yesterday is anything to go by though I don't think Gray will need to worry about getting his place back.

weonlywon6-2
01-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Was this his first game in a new team ?????
😊

Speedy
01-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Wasn't that impressed, though I agree he didn't look fully fit. There was a bit in the 2nd half where Allan had the ball on the touchline and the space was there for Watson to run past him for a through ball, but he didn't.

Same.

Thought he was slow, didn't put in a lot of running and wasn't confident to go past a man.

First game though so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope all of the above was down to lack of fitness.

Stuarty27
01-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I get absolute pelters on here from some folk for slaughtering Liam Craig who has been under performing for the last 18months yet Keith Watson trains twice with his new teammates hasn't played for weeks and people are saying they aren't impressed!! Get a grip

I thot he played well, got forward well and was unlucky not to score. Obviously he tired as he hasn't played for a while.

Speedy
01-02-2015, 11:01 AM
I get absolute pelters on here from some folk for slaughtering Liam Craig who has been under performing for the last 18months yet Keith Watson trains twice with his new teammates hasn't played for weeks and people are saying they aren't impressed!! Get a grip

I thot he played well, got forward well and was unlucky not to score. Obviously he tired as he hasn't played for a while.

No need for 'get a grip'.

People are giving their opinion based on what they saw yesterday. Don't see anyone slaughtering him or writing him off.

Smartie
01-02-2015, 11:08 AM

I think you're wide of the mark with your criticism of Craig but you're bang on the money with your opinion on Watson.

ian cruise
01-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Just look at the start Allan made for us, now people are making him mom every week. Watson will most certainly need time to get up to speed however I'd rather have a good player who takes a week or two to get going than a humpty who's fit now but below the quality we've been signing lately

whiskyhibby
01-02-2015, 11:45 AM
No need for 'get a grip'.

People are giving their opinion based on what they saw yesterday. Don't see anyone slaughtering him or writing him off.

Agree fully, he maybe has much more to offer but didn't do anything yesterday

Kavinho
01-02-2015, 11:58 AM
I was disappointed with him tbh. He's a good player but clearly not fit today. Almost everything was down the left hand side as well

That wasn't necessarily down to him though, there were plenty of times he was standing in acres of space on the touch line, only for play to be turned and sent out left instead of a pass to him in space.

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-02-2015, 12:20 PM
That wasn't necessarily down to him though, there were plenty of times he was standing in acres of space on the touch line, only for play to be turned and sent out left instead of a pass to him in space.

I agree. We should have used him more when he was in space. We didn't though and when he was on the ball, he wasn't great. I think he will come good once he's up to speed though.

Eyrie
01-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Based on todays performance i would suggest Forster is more suited to that role than Watson.

Clearly im only basing this on one performance but just think Forster will feel hard done by not to start today.
But Forster isn't match fit either. There was a case for bringing him on for Watson with 15-20 minutes left though.

Watson got forward well in the first half but less so in the second, which backs up your point.

LaMotta
01-02-2015, 03:44 PM
But Forster isn't match fit either. There was a case for bringing him on for Watson with 15-20 minutes left though.

Forster came on last week with 15-20 mins to go, therefore he had played more first team Football than Watson in the last seven days.

Watson has played a lot of games for a good Dundee Utd team over the last couple of years though so I'm happy to have him.

greenlex
21-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Having been semi critical of Keith Watson on his debut I would just like to say what a difference a few weeks can make. Thought the lad was excellent today and possibly just about shaded MOTM .That is all.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Wasn't that impressed with his debut, but also thought he was excellent today and a candidate for MOM.

heidtheba
22-02-2015, 01:10 AM
I've most probably missed this but...do we have a chance to sign him permanently and what's the thinking on whether he'd go for it? Is the general feeling after today and recently that we should?

Hibeesmad
22-02-2015, 01:20 AM
I've most probably missed this but...do we have a chance to sign him permanently and what's the thinking on whether he'd go for it? Is the general feeling after today and recently that we should?

I prefer Gray but as we can see from the past 2 games he can play anywhere in defence so I would definitely consider offering him a long term deal. Whether he takes it is another matter

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2015, 01:22 AM
What a squad we have now tho!! All these different options are fantastic

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Very impressed with him yesterday, such a joy to have a squad of players all comfortable on the ball and with plenty of pace across all positions.

woodythehibee
22-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Couple of assists, got up and down the line, big physical guy. Great acquisition. Also, against The Rangers we saw his defensive side a bit more and he was quite happy to put his body on the line. Options are great at the moment.

overdrive
22-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Much improved compared to his debut. I still prefer Gray at right back though as he is quicker and a much better crossed of the ball (slice yesterday excluded)

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Nothing to back this up, but i wonder if he will play centre half if Fontaine does not stay at the club next season?

gaz1875
22-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Keith has played really well last two matches in different roles, commented about him after the Huns game how solid he was, with some great blocking tackles. Yesterday he was much more attacking, played more like a left winger than defender, and some cracking crosses first half. :aok:

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Keith has played really well last two matches in different roles, commented about him after the Huns game how solid he was, with some great blocking tackles. Yesterday he was much more attacking, played more like a left winger than defender, and some cracking crosses first half. :aok:

Right

hibby6270
22-02-2015, 12:57 PM

Didn't notice Allan playing yesterday?!!

To be fair to Watson he wasn't pushed much yesterday but did have a reasonable game. Match fitness will come eventually. Yesterday will have done him no harm in that respect.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Didn't notice Allan playing yesterday?!!

To be fair to Watson he wasn't pushed much yesterday but did have a reasonable game. Match fitness will come eventually. Yesterday will have done him no harm in that respect.

That post you quoted was made three weeks ago after Watson's debut against Raith Rovers.

erin go bragh
22-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Nothing to back this up, but i wonder if he will play centre half if Fontaine does not stay at the club next season?

Really hope we manage to get Fontaine on a 2/3 year contract . Guy has been immense for us .

Ggtth

sleeping giant
22-02-2015, 04:24 PM

He's only on loan until end of season .
We are talking about Watson ?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2015, 04:39 PM
He's only on loan until end of season .
We are talking about Watson ?:greengrin

I know we are talking about Watson, :greengrin but with Fontaine only on a 1 year deal and he's not moved his family up to Edinburgh, i wonder if Watson might be signed after his loan is up and he's a free agent and played in the middle should Fontaine decide to move back down south?

sleeping giant
22-02-2015, 04:53 PM
I know we are talking about Watson, :greengrin but with Fontaine only on a 1 year deal and he's not moved his family up to Edinburgh, i wonder if Watson might be signed after his loan is up and he's a free agent and played in the middle should Fontaine decide to move back down south?

I'm sure he wouldn't sign a new deal at United as he wanted to go down south after his contract finished .
Saying that , he might be enjoying it here.