PDA

View Full Version : Liam Craig

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Why is it when he makes a mistake or doesn't make the correct pass he alwats gets moaned at the by the same folk in the stands more than anyone else in the team? Harsh and totally unfair, IMO.

GreenArmy1875
31-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Why is it when he makes a mistake or doesn't make the correct pass he alwats gets moaned at the by the same folk in the stands more than anyone else in the team? Harsh and totally unfair, IMO.

Its the hibs fan way. Pick an underperforming scapegoat and never forgive him for those performances....Ever

gaz1875
31-01-2015, 06:36 PM

Getting sick of it as well, we even have Hibs.netter counting how many times he looses possession :rolleyes:

JJP
31-01-2015, 06:36 PM

He's the chosen one for the scapegoat seekers. It's always been the way.

madhatter
31-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Agree 100%. He has had some shocking performances at Hibs but mistakes are made and the way he selects passes and shoots suggests he is very low on confidence.

Hedlund12
31-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Why is it when he makes a mistake or doesn't make the correct pass he always gets moaned at the by the same folk in the stands more than anyone else in the team? Harsh and totally unfair, IMO.

Totally agree with this... gets on my t*ts.
Was hoping he would bag one today just to get right up the nostrils of the doom and gloomers I hear critising him week in week out!

Hiber-nation
31-01-2015, 06:39 PM
I agree the abuse he gets is ridicuolus but he was sluggish today and our weakest link by far.

HappyAsHellas
31-01-2015, 06:39 PM
At least three times in the first half today Craig was looking to play a forward ball and you could have thrown a hanky over Cummings and Boyle. So he retains possession with a sideways pass and then moves so he's available again. Some people boo him for this, but never mention the fact that the forwards are not making good runs or even showing for the ball. We really missed Malonga today as he has the intelligence to know where to move to and when, which always gives midfielders a forward option. Craig didn't have his best game today but wasn't helped at times by a lack of movement in front of him. The fact so many team mates are happy to give him the ball says a lot.

Hermit Crab
31-01-2015, 06:40 PM
He's the captain. Obligatory scapegoat, every team has one. Liam Craig is ours

California-Hibs
31-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Agreed! I bloddy hate Hibs fans who give way OTT harsh treatment to Liam Craig, the slightest mistake and he's crucified! Yet when he does something decent, not a peep of a well done. It's completely out of order! I bet there was even some who were reluctant to celebrate his vollyed 4th goal against the huns a few weeks ago!

Black Kyle
31-01-2015, 06:42 PM
No need for the abuse, there's a player in there. Poor game today, three first half chances all off target.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2015, 06:43 PM
He didn't have a great 1st half but was better in the 2nd; making the keeper make saves which the rest of the midfield didn't seem too keen on doing.

HappyAsHellas
31-01-2015, 06:45 PM
No need for the abuse, there's a player in there. Poor game today, three first half chances all off target.

Yes, two headers and one shot with his weaker right. Should have scored at least one of them though but we can't blame him for Boyle's chances when one on one with the keeper. Oh wait....it's Liam Craig so we can.:greengrin

Stuarty27
31-01-2015, 06:45 PM
My posts are becoming embarrassing.

To be fair not as embarrassing as our captains performance today.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2015, 06:46 PM
He had his poorest game for weeks today so a bit moaning and groaning is to be expected.

The problem is even when he's playing well he still gets it so when he plays like he did today it increases tenfold. It can't be helping him.

stoneyburn hibs
31-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Would we see better performances from him if he wasn't captain ? I don't think that he should be the captain and I'm surprised that AS hasn't addressed this. That said, I'm not the head coach so AS must see something.

madhatter
31-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Would we see better performances from him if he wasn't captain ? I don't think that he should be the captain and I'm surprised that AS hasn't addressed this. That said, I'm not the head coach so AS must see something.

Possibly seen as someone to take the abuse as most players we have are relatively young? Take weight off their shoulders? Not sure, he has always seemed to be a willing captain off-field (any community stuff going on).

Smartie
31-01-2015, 06:52 PM
He had his poorest game for weeks today so a bit moaning and groaning is to be expected.

The problem is even when he's playing well he still gets it so when he plays like he did today it increases tenfold. It can't be helping him.

:top marks

HappyAsHellas
31-01-2015, 06:54 PM

:tub4:

My_Wife_Camille
Scapegoat or not, Liam Craig has not been a good signing for Hibs. We signed him as a goal scoring/creative midfielder who was reaching the peak of his footballing career and ready to make the step up to one of the countries biggest clubs. What we have actually had is a midfielder who doesn't create chances or score goals and is slow and hesitant on the ball and loses possession far too easily considering the standard of opponent we are up against. He had another really poor game today and the sooner he is away the better.

Andy74

Ah, there's one.

Smartie

Craig has been brilliant for the past few months and has been the captain throughout.

This nonsense about it detracting from his game is just that - nonsense. He's had a few "captain's performances" throughout that as well.

He was poor today. Sometimes players have poor games, nothing else is at play.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Scapegoat or not, Liam Craig has not been a good signing for Hibs. We signed him as a goal scoring/creative midfielder who was reaching the peak of his footballing career and ready to make the step up to one of the countries biggest clubs. What we have actually had is a midfielder who doesn't create chances or score goals and is slow and hesitant on the ball and loses possession far too easily considering the standard of opponent we are up against. He had another really poor game today and the sooner he is away the better.

Amazingly he's scored more than Allan and is 2nd to Allan in the assist table.

Stats according to someone on here a couple of weeks ago.

Stuarty27
31-01-2015, 06:57 PM
He was the main reason we didn't win today and why we were relegated.

Nobody that knows anything about football can defend that performance today.

Smartie
31-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Nah.

He was poor last year, in a poor team that was having a poor season.

His form has picked up big time of late although he wasn't great today.

Let's judge him at the end of this season. If he's stuck around post-relegation and captained us to promotion (via the playoffs) chipping in with a few goals along the way in spite of not always enjoying the full support of the fans then he'll have done fine for me.

Thecat23
31-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Booooooooooo

booooooooooo

booooooooooo

booooooooooo

booooooooooo

booooooooooo

booooooooooo

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2015, 06:59 PM
He was the main reason we lost today and why we were relegated.

👍😂😂😂😂😂

Wheat Hound
31-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Erm I was more peeved at Oxley inability to do his job and deal with a simple cross ball than by anything Craig did.

Thecat23
31-01-2015, 07:02 PM

Just him? Him alone? No one else?

How dare he turn up for training on Monday, Stubbs better play with 10 men rather than Craig against Arbroath or I demand a refund on my season ticket!!!!!

My_Wife_Camille
31-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Amazingly he's scored more than Allan and is 2nd to Allan in the assist table.

Stats according to someone on here a couple of weeks ago.

Would be interested to see these stats on assists because I don't believe that!

My_Wife_Camille
31-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Nah.

He was poor last year, in a poor team that was having a poor season.

His form has picked up big time of late although he wasn't great today.

Let's judge him at the end of this season. If he's stuck around post-relegation and captained us to promotion (via the playoffs) chipping in with a few goals along the way in spite of not always enjoying the full support of the fans then he'll have done fine for me.
I don't agree that his form has picked up big time at all. He was excellent against Rangers and Dumbarton before new year but don't think he's been particularly good otherwise.

Danderhall Hibs
Would be interested to see these stats on assists because I don't believe that!

Go and look them up then.

Someone listed them all.

Hibeesmad
He was crap today, Sam Stanton is better

Thecat23
31-01-2015, 07:08 PM
He was crap today, Sam Stanton is better

Nah.

emerald green
31-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Liam Craig was "the main reason why we were relegated". The main reason? Really, are you serious? LOL.

HappyAsHellas
31-01-2015, 07:10 PM

Let me get this straight - we got relegated last season only because of Liam Craig? Here's me thinking it was because we had a bombscare management team coupled with a side that couldn't score goals - and that's all down to Liam Craig - aye right.

Today was not his best performance of the season but he still had more attempts at goal and on target than any other midfielder. He is willing to get ahead of the forwards and never hides during the game, and it's all his fault that we can't score with one on one opportunities against their keeper? We had no attacking threat down the right hand side today which shows how we miss Gray, so why don't we blame him for that as well? Oh, and Malonga was missing today as well and we really missed his ability to hold the ball up and bring in other players - yep, let's blame that on Craig as well. You should try watching a game without the blinkers, it's much more enlightening you know.

My_Wife_Camille
31-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Go and look them up then.

Someone listed them all.

Don't know where to mate. Had a look myself at the games played this season. Can only pick out 4? 2 at Dumbarton, 1 against Rangers and 1 at Ross County. I'll have missed a couple for sure though

Hibeesmad
31-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I personally think Liam Craig does more wrong things than right, wouldn't be too bothered if he left, Id have trust in Stubbs to bring in a better player

hibby6270
31-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Erm I was more peeved at Oxley inability to do his job and deal with a simple cross ball than by anything Craig did.

Agreed on the first point about Oxley today.

To be fair to Craig though he has been good in last couple of months but I defy anyone to not admit he had a shocker today.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Don't know where to mate. Had a look myself at the games played this season. Can only pick out 4? 2 at Dumbarton, 1 against Rangers and 1 at Ross County. I'll have missed a couple for sure though

It'll be on the same style thread as this 2 weeks ago. 6 assists rings a bell.

Oscar T Grouch
31-01-2015, 07:21 PM
The guy behind me who usually abuses Craig has moved onto Oxley now, hardly mentions Craig in his diatribes now, it's just some people want to come to football to abuse players, when I was younger and had the energy, I liked to abuse players but they tended to play for the opposition (or the refs and linesmen😉)

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Agreed on the first point about Oxley today.

To be fair to Craig though he has been good in last couple of months but I defy anyone to not admit he had a shocker today.

It's the over exaggerations that annoy me - Craig had a "shocker" while Allan was "superb", "sublime", "fantastic" or whatever other superlative is used.

The truth is Craig wasn't great but got better, Allan started off well and drifted.

Alfred E Newman
31-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I don't agree with the unjustified abuse Craig gets but today he was poor. He gave the ball away cheaply in the build up to Nade's goal and then had the audacity to point the blame at Stevenson for conceding the corner. I also lost count of the number of 50-50 challenges he chickened out of during the game. Not really what you expect from your Captain.

iwasthere1972
31-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Not one to normally stick the boot in but I just can't see a player in him. If only he had managed to connect with the ball near the end when defending we wouldn't have conceded the corner that led to their equaliser.

Hibeesmad
31-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Not one to normally stick the boot in but I just can't see a player in him. If only he had managed to connect with the ball near the end when defending we wouldn't have conceded the corner that led to their equaliser.

Agreed, don't see him as captain material either

gaz1875
31-01-2015, 07:33 PM
It's the over exaggerations that annoy me - Craig had a "shocker" while Allan was "superb", "sublime", "fantastic" or whatever other superlative is used.

The truth is Craig wasn't great but got better, Allan started off well and drifted.

Perfectly worded :top marks

Mikey09
31-01-2015, 07:45 PM

:faf:

Scottie
31-01-2015, 07:53 PM
It's getting embarrassing now the constant slagging off of some players at games and on here.

We have what we have so just get behind ALL the players.

The Harp Awakes
31-01-2015, 08:02 PM
It's getting embarrassing now the constant slagging off of some players at games and on here.

We have what we have so just get behind ALL the players.

Agree. Craig has been decent recently but was mediocre today. I think he plays better away from home due to the boo boys at easter road who always need a player to slag off.

In my opinion, he's not captain material but a decent player and folk need to get off his bsck. If they do, he will play better.

Hermit Crab
31-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Complete and utter bollox. So it was nothing to do with Butchers horrendous anti football tactics, formations and team selections then?

BS44
31-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Particularity in the second half. Allen forgot that it isn't all about him and that Hibs are more important. Too many times he slowed the game down so he could show us he is a better player than the rest on the park.

Nomeancity
31-01-2015, 08:06 PM
I personally think Liam Craig does more wrong things than right, wouldn't be too bothered if he left, Id have trust in Stubbs to bring in a better player

But you don't trust Stubbs being able to pick a captain?

iwasthere1972
31-01-2015, 08:13 PM
:hijack:

Come on feel the noise from the DJ just before kick off. What was that all about? Brings back bad memories and should be banned. :agree:

familyman
31-01-2015, 08:17 PM
you need look no further than todays game against Raith.Craig usually playing either backwards or sideways football yet again showed no heart and was responsible for us losing the ball in a casual way in last few mins..this together with Oxley yet again not coming for cross ball cost us the game.Craig yet again failed to acknowledge the supporters at the end of the match and just walked straight off the park head down..is that what we we have to accept from a captain of the team.?....that together with the legacy of his last season performance shows he is not the man for that role in my view anyway.We need to show spirit and determination for 90 plus mins not just 45 and Craig did not again show that example..hence the constant moaning I guess...that is a shame as we without a doubt should have had the match won in first half having played some good stuff and as we again feel a sense of deja vu re raith and the same mistakes,we need to LEARN from that and expect a Captain especially to show the necessary steel and courage to drive his team mates forward and not get involved in ref disputes etc etc....

Hiber-nation
31-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Particularity in the second half. Allen forgot that it isn't all about him and that Hibs are more important. Too many times he slowed the game down so he could show us he is a better player than the rest on the park.

Never mind all the superb ball retention and defence splitting passes. OK he's frustrating but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be at Hibs.

Not sure how this has turned into the weekly dig at Allan by the way!

I tend to defend Craig due to the brainless abuse he gets from some erseholes in our support but he was't great today that's for sure.

khib70
31-01-2015, 08:22 PM
You mean the corner that the currently sanctified and uncriticisable Lewis Stevenson unecesssarily conceded?

Stantons Angel
31-01-2015, 08:33 PM

It makes a change from Lewis getting it in the neck each week!

There has always got to be someone or something for a Hibs's supporter to moan about!

I have to admit though Liam did not have a good game today but he wasnt just the reason we threw away a chance to go second in the league!

BS44
31-01-2015, 08:39 PM
It makes a change from Lewis getting it in the neck each week!

There has always got to be someone or something for a Hibs's supporter to moan about!

I have to admit though Liam did not have a good game today but he wasnt just the reason we threw away a chance to go second in the league!

Spot on

Broken Gnome
31-01-2015, 09:05 PM
If he wasn't so painfully slow he'd probably get a bit more leeway.

Same for niggly fouls.

Same for moaning at the ref.

Shame all three have a tendency to happen one after another. Often.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see Stanton back in. Robertson can do the dirty work on his own.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Noticed that.

However Craig does that on a consistent basis, but is rarely the best player on the park.

AK86
31-01-2015, 09:25 PM
I have seen about 50% of the games that Craig has played for hibs! and I reckon I have seen him have 10 decent games, at most.
the guy just does,not fit into Hibs. He is a poor player and even poorer captain
he is good at moaning at the ref though. :confused:

Dalkeith Hibee
31-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Exactly. He is ***** and even at this level (where he should be head and shoulders above most) he still looks *****.

He has the odd good game then goes back to being ***** yet he is deemed a scapegoat.

Should never have been made captain either.

Bearders
31-01-2015, 09:27 PM

Slowed the game down and retained possession, we were winning and there was little movement in front of him. If you genuinely mean what you typed you deserve to be watching a midfield of Turnbull (S), Jas K Brown, D Lambie and ........... I'll leave it to other posters to add in a class 4th.:brickwall

Billychaotic182
31-01-2015, 09:33 PM
He is awful. Slow, gives away the ball far to easy, all he is good for is having a moan at the ref. The only part he played today was one good shot in the 2nd half and giving away the ball leading up to Raiths goal. He is not good enough. Simple as that

Hiber-nation
31-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Slowed the game down and retained possession, we were winning and there was little movement in front of him. If you genuinely mean what you typed you deserve to be watching a midfield of Turnbull (S), Jas K Brown, D Lambie and ........... I'll leave it to other posters to add in a class 4th.:brickwall

That's put me off my wine!!

Hibeesmad
31-01-2015, 09:37 PM
But you don't trust Stubbs being able to pick a captain?

He chose Craig when he first came and Craig is probably a good leader around the dressing room etc but I don't see him do much on the pitch, Gray seems more like a true leader, I don't personally know him (Craig) but I have no doubt that Craig won't be captain next season, it would have been harsh to change captaincy after choosing someone. He has dropped Craig on occasions so he has obviously shown he's not afraid to drop him if he's not performing well enough

Billychaotic182
31-01-2015, 09:39 PM
He chose Craig when he first came and Craig is probably a good leader, I don't personally know him but I have no doubt that Craig won't be captain next season, it would have been harsh to change captaincy after choosing someone. He has dropped Craig on occasions so he has obviously shown he's not afraid to drop him if he's not performing well enough

Gray will be captain next season

Holmesdale Hibs
31-01-2015, 09:51 PM

Deary me. First bad result in a while and it's all Liam Craig's fault. Why's he the main reason we didn't win today? If his performances that central to us getting a result then maybe the rest of the team should have a look at themselves.

Hibs fans, like most other teams, like a scapegoat. Brian Hamilton, Colin Murdoch, Stuart Lovell, Alan Orman... We've had a few over the years. None have been great players granted, but nor have they deserved the **** they get from some of our own fans. It doesn't help the atmosphere or the other players. WTF don't the moaners direct their anger at the other team or referee. Or go to the gym before the game and burn of some negative energy.

IMO, LC is an decent Championship player, nothing special, but I'm willing to trust AS's judgement that he should be in the team. I personally have a bigger problem with the moaners than I do with LC.

Stuarty27
31-01-2015, 09:59 PM
The reason it was Liam Craig's fault was the following:

He gave the ball away 9 times in the first half
He missed two headers from 4 yards out in the first half
85% of his successful passing was backwards or to the side
He gave the ball away which led to the goal
He was picking up Nade at the corner
He then got himself booked when we needed to get the ball back at 1-1

Not to mention his constant moaning towards the ref to try and hide the fact he is having a howler!!

He should do the honourable thing and give up the armband and hand it over to Fontaine or Gray who led by example week in week out.

All and all a truly awful day for captain courageous

Itsnoteasy
31-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Deary me. First bad result in a while and it's all Liam Craig's fault. Why's he the main reason we didn't win today? If his performances that central to us getting a result then maybe the rest of the team should have a look at themselves.

Hibs fans, like most other teams, like a scapegoat. Brian Hamilton, Colin Murdoch, Stuart Lovell, Alan Orman... We've had a few over the years. None have been great players granted, but nor have they deserved the **** they get from some of our own fans. It doesn't help the atmosphere or the other players. WTF don't the moaners direct their anger at the other team or referee. Or go to the gym before the game and burn of some negative energy.

IMO, LC is an decent Championship player, nothing special, but I'm willing to trust AS's judgement that he should be in the team. I personally have a bigger problem with the moaners than I do with LC.

Are we forgetting about Falkirk & Hearts. That was this month.

Hermit Crab
31-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Gray will be captain next season

If hes still still here. :agree:

FranckSuzy
31-01-2015, 10:44 PM

Well, at least you got one thing right.

Eyrie
31-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Not to mention his constant moaning towards the ref to try and hide the fact he is having a howler!!

He should do the honourable thing and give up the armband and hand it over to Fontaine or Gray who led by example week in week out.

You left out global warming.

silverhibee
01-02-2015, 12:55 AM
No comment.

The_Horde
01-02-2015, 01:35 AM

In a ****in nutshell. The sooner the clown is out the first team the better.

ACLeith
01-02-2015, 08:41 AM

I assume you recorded this in a notebook so you know your stats are 100% accurate? Did you do this for the rest of the team as well? Be interested in seeing them. Personally I spent my time supporting the team.

Granted he had a poor game but IMO the main reason we didn't win was due to the chances we squandered.

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Craig was solid yesterday, didn't give the ball away anywhere near as much as wonder boy Allan.

proud_and_green
01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
At least three times in the first half today Craig was looking to play a forward ball and you could have thrown a hanky over Cummings and Boyle. So he retains possession with a sideways pass and then moves so he's available again. Some people boo him for this, but never mention the fact that the forwards are not making good runs or even showing for the ball. We really missed Malonga today as he has the intelligence to know where to move to and when, which always gives midfielders a forward option. Craig didn't have his best game today but wasn't helped at times by a lack of movement in front of him. The fact so many team mates are happy to give him the ball says a lot.

I was thinking this too. Liam worked really hard yesterday and was involved in most of our attacking moves. His supporting play and movement was excellent and I'm not sure his pass completion rate will have been much less than any of the others.

Cropley10
01-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Totally agree.

J-C
01-02-2015, 11:20 AM
He has been better this year but IMO he's still not good enough for us as a team to move forward, he still has a negativity in his play, seems ponderous at times, too much moaning and finger pointing instead of rolling up the sleeves and get on with it. He may be a good captain off the field but it's on the park where he lacks it, he doesn't motivate or inpire and is just a bang average midfielder now, needs to move on in the summer.

Aldo
01-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Having seen many tabloid pictures this morning Craig was marking Nade and his back is clearly turn as you can see the name on the back of his top as Nade just forward.

Now turning yur back like that is inexcusable IMHO.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Having seen many tabloid pictures this morning Craig was marking Nade and his back is clearly turn as you can see the name on the back of his top as Nade just forward.

Now turning yur back like that is inexcusable IMHO.

Something to be sorted out then. We should be getting our defenders to do the defending - that must mean Hanlon wasn't marking anyone?

trev the hat
01-02-2015, 12:32 PM
He has been better this year but IMO he's still not good enough for us as a team to move forward, he still has a negativity in his play, seems ponderous at times, too much moaning and finger pointing instead of rolling up the sleeves and get on with it. He may be a good captain off the field but it's on the park where he lacks it, he doesn't motivate or inpire and is just a bang average midfielder now, needs to move on in the summer.

Spot on !!

Tyler Durden
01-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Something to be sorted out then. We should be getting our defenders to do the defending - that must mean Hanlon wasn't marking anyone?

Why does that mean Hanlon wasn't marking anyone?

As for your weekly digs at Scott Allan, he created several chances yesterday, which Boyle and Craig in particular failed to convert. I really don't know what some fans expect of Allan. Some people seem to think he should be sprinting towards goal or shooting anytime he gets near the box. I despair.

Aldo
01-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Who knows but I'd say that at least one player- wether it be a defender/midfielder or Striker should be attacking the ball.... Plain and simple.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Why does that mean Hanlon wasn't marking anyone?

As for your weekly digs at Scott Allan, he created several chances yesterday, which Boyle and Craig in particular failed to convert. I really don't know what some fans expect of Allan. Some people seem to think he should be sprinting towards goal or shooting anytime he gets near the box. I despair.

Have you seen the replay of the goal? Hanlon's just floating about - if he's not marking Nade he's not marking anyone.

I've not had a dig at Allan this week have I? I thought he started well yesterday then drifted. Slowed things down a bit at times in the 2nd half when there was an opportunity of a break.