PDA

View Full Version : 1 defeat in the last 20 games

California-Hibs
31-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Ok, I'm disappointed today like everyone else, 26 shots at goal, hitting the post and the bar, completely dominating possession and finishing 1-1 is gutting.

However, 1 loss in 20 is a brilliant record at any level to have. Yes, there's been far too many draws in there, but it doesn't take away from the fact that we have only been beat once since September, 1 loss in 5 months! Sorry, but I'm going to be taking positives from that.

Just feel it's something Stubbs and the team should recieve credit for.

JJP
31-01-2015, 04:23 PM
They absolutely deserve credit but we are where we are and we should always be striving to win more home games than we currently are.

CalgaryHibs
31-01-2015, 04:24 PM
It didn't look this was gona happen back in august n September but your right impressive in any league even the Jambos are better, but to many lost points is killing us

rcarter1
31-01-2015, 04:28 PM
The positives are that we are slowly improving the quality of our squad. An unbeaten run in the Championship that includes so many draws isn't a psotive for me. I would take winning runs as positives. Draws are almost as bad as a defeat, so 5 wins and 5 draws in this league is not great going at all.

Keith_M
31-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Agree with the OP.

Dissapointing but there are some real over-reactions on the Match Updates thread.

Smartie
31-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm not so impressed.

If it was 2 points for a win then maybe but draws get you nowhere.

The points we're dropping at home are an embarrassment. I think it's fair to say there were mitigating circumstances earlier in the season that led to some poor results.

But trying to claim this as a positive at this point of the season is a piece of nonsense. That's 4 points dropped against Falkirk and Raith, at home, this month. If you're going to get anywhere in this league you need to win your home games, especially against the "wee" teams.

There are some horrible results in that run and putting them all together they are very costly.

It's no use spanking the huns firmly home and away to drop as many home points as we have to the likes of Falkirk, Raith, QoS and Dumbarton.

Dashing Bob S
31-01-2015, 04:55 PM
No, not good enough. We've played nice football, but technically inferior teams (Hearts, Rangers) are better at finishing off sides. We are in the second-tier of Scottish football and our sights need to be set higher. We should be steamrollering clubs in that division now, especially at home.

Scottie
31-01-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm not so impressed.

The points we're dropping at home are an embarrassment. I think it's fair to say there were mitigating circumstances earlier in the season that led to some poor results.

But trying to claim this as a positive at this point of the season is a piece of nonsense. That's 4 points dropped against Falkirk and Raith, at home, this month. If you're going to get anywhere in this league you need to win your home games, especially against the "wee" teams.

There are some horrible results in that run and putting them all together they are very costly.

It's no use spanking the huns firmly home and away to drop as many home points as we have to the likes of Falkirk, Raith, QoS and Dumbarton.
:agree: Summed it up perfectly :top marks

neil7908
31-01-2015, 04:59 PM
It's not the dropped points that worry me so much (automatic promotion was off the table a long time ago) but the fact that we don't seem to have changed the mentality completely at ER. As other folk have said on the match day thread us losing a last minuted equaliser to a crap player who has a history with us has been going on for years and we really need to shake that fragility. No question we are better than the vast majority of teams in the league but we need to be finishing them off.

The target for this season is promotion and whilst that is still in our hands I won't be too despondent but I do think that we'll be playing in this division again next season which if it happens, is frankly not good enough.

Stubbs now has to get the team focused on playing for the full 90 mins and ensuring we have the mental fortitude to deal with the play offs. I think we are improving but we cant forget what division we are in.

PeeJay
31-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm not so impressed.

Pointless disagreeing with any of this ... spot on!

B.H.F.C
31-01-2015, 05:01 PM
1 defeat in 20 looks no too bad. But the number of draws in there have killed us.

For all we've slagged Rangers we are still behind them having played 3 games more.

Our home form is nowhere near good enough.

lyonhibs
31-01-2015, 05:02 PM
And how many draws at home having been in a leading position ?

I'm not someone that thinks we should be steamrolling all before us in this division "because we're Hibs"

But repeatedly chucking points away at Easter Road from a winning position in this division is amateur and unforgiveable

overdrive
31-01-2015, 05:06 PM
The Club obviously think draws are victories though judging by the repeated references to "making it 10 wins on the bounce" by the announcer

Smartie
31-01-2015, 05:08 PM
And how many draws at home having been in a leading position ?

I'm not someone that thinks we should be steamrolling all before us in this division "because we're Hibs"

But repeatedly chucking points away at Easter Road from a winning position in this division is amateur and unforgiveable

Spot on.

I think it is disrespectful to expect us to steamroller teams. Raith, Falkirk, QoS etc are handy sides and nobody "should be steamrollering them."

It's frustrating because we're often doing the hard part. We're getting into winning positions, creating chances, dominating games. The football is infinitely better than last season. And I honestly don't think that the teams I've mentioned here are much worse than Ross County, Motherwell, St Mirren and Dundee.

Taking chances and getting into unassailable leads or closing games out through resolute defending shouldn't be too much to ask from some of the football we've been playing.

GreenLake
31-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Ok, I'm disappointed today like everyone else, 26 shots at goal, hitting the post and the bar, completely dominating possession and finishing 1-1 is gutting.

However, 1 loss in 20 is a brilliant record at any level to have. Yes, there's been far too many draws in there, but it doesn't take away from the fact that we have only been beat once since September, 1 loss in 5 months! Sorry, but I'm going to be taking positives from that.

Just feel it's something Stubbs and the team should recieve credit for.

We have moved from losing most of our games while playing badly to winning most of our games while playing well. This is just the beginning.

Kaff
31-01-2015, 05:10 PM
1 defeat in the next 20 games will see us promoted? (we're bound to lose in the final of SC!)
At least we have lost the losing mentality and a draw feels like a loss, it is a positive to look at no matter how p*ssing off these draws are.

Edit. Mis counted the number of games left but one defeat till end of season will do fine

Pete
31-01-2015, 05:13 PM
At least nobody at our club will be feeling half as bad as the Aberdeen goalie after today.

What a fanny!

JJP
31-01-2015, 05:14 PM
I think the most frustrating aspect of today's result is after w we hammered Rangers the pressure was undoubtably on and neutrals were picking us to take over them and take 2nd place. They have barely played since and the pressure we had put them under has completely gone. We are now behind them still and we've played 3 more games. I'm afraid even if we beat them in our next league game we still will not catch them and if we are wanting out of this league we are going to have to do it under the most difficult circumstances.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Draws are no use to us. When the league changed to three points for a win, that said as much. Not a Hibs thing but a football thing. Not taking your chances and paying for it, is a football thing not a Hibs thing. Not losing a goal in injury time, is a football thing not a Hibs thing. We should be allowed to gripe about basics, but with perspective as well.

Kaff
31-01-2015, 05:41 PM
erm. If we draw every game bar the lost game we may not be in the top 4
today was a disappointment but if you want a positive I'd say it was positively disappointing.

Of course you may be right but from what i heard of that game it doesnt seem that we're going to stop winning games too. Absolutely gutting but i'm more positive than negative about our promotion chances

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Not too bothered about the result, i have come to expect it over the years, its now Stubbs time to change my expectations.

The one thing i will say is the result is disappointing in the respect that its another game where if we'd won we'd have made a small statement by going 2nd, and i'm sure more folk would turn up especially at ibrox on the strength of it.

We do have a terrible habit of taking two steps forward and one back at the wrong times. I know its the play offs that are important, but we are having too many draws.

Spike Mandela
31-01-2015, 06:10 PM
This result shouldn't be about missing out on second place it should be a timely reminder that we are only 5 points off fifth and without more focus on finishing off games, when we are clearly on top, we run the risk of missing out on the play offs all together.

Draws aren't good enough at this time of the seasom. I'd rather have a defeat and two wins than three draws whilst remaining unbeaten.

emerald green
31-01-2015, 07:13 PM
I'm not so impressed.

Agree with most of this, especially the bit in bold. In the days when it was only two points for a win, a draw wasn't considered a particularly bad result. It is now though especially if others are winning most weeks.

It's not so much the points Hibs are dropping at home that are embarrassing, it's the manner of dropping those points, like today. Not to have won today, comfortably, was ridiculous. That's the way I would describe it.

I will be interested to hear AS view on today's result. I can only guess he must be as frustrated as many of the supporters. I don't want to hear any excuses TBH. Hibs only had themselves to blame today. They threw another two priceless points away.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Extremely disappointed after watching that today.

That goal for them should have been no more than a consolation after we had been 4 or 5 (at least) ahead.

As others have already said, we are having far too many draws at Easter Road and losing soft goals when it matters most.

We played pretty well today but it's goals that win games not nice football.

I'm still confident of a win over Sevco in a couple of weeks results like this against the sides below us could very well cost us second place.

Very frustrated this evening.

ancient hibee
31-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Spot on.

I think it is disrespectful to expect us to steamroller teams. Raith, Falkirk, QoS etc are handy sides and nobody "should be steamrollering them."

It's frustrating because we're often doing the hard part. We're getting into winning positions, creating chances, dominating games. The football is infinitely better than last season. And I honestly don't think that the teams I've mentioned here are much worse than Ross County, Motherwell, St Mirren and Dundee.

Taking chances and getting into unassailable leads or closing games out through resolute defending shouldn't be too much to ask from some of the football we've been playing.

Don't agree.It's not disrespectful to say we should have massacred Raith today.That we didn't was down to us not Raith.How many headers within the box did we not even force the goalie to save-one by Craig over the bar was from about 3 feet.Why did Boyle only score from one of his one on ones with the goalie -he should have had three.We had at least two fresh air shots in the box.How many passes to feet in the penalty area were wasted.Today was totally unacceptable.

Hiber-nation
31-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Don't agree.It's not disrespectful to say we should have massacred Raith today.That we didn't was down to us not Raith.How many headers within the box did we not even force the goalie to save-one by Craig over the bar was from about 3 feet.Why did Boyle only score from one of his one on ones with the goalie -he should have had three.We had at least two fresh air shots in the box.How many passes to feet in the penalty area were wasted.Today was totally unacceptable.

Spot on again AH. To score 1 goal from 37 shots must be some sort of record.

portyhibernian
31-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Only ourselves to blame today, very disappointing. We missed several chances to make it comfortable, they had one chance, got the goal and here we are with one point when we should definitely have taken all three. Rangers aside we haven't done very well at home against the teams closest to us that we really should be beating. I have no stats to back it up but my gut feeling is that we've accumulated more points away from home this season than at home?

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Spot on again AH. To score 1 goal from 37 shots must be some sort of record.

Not quite, it was 25 shots but I agree with the sentiment!

Hiber-nation
31-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Not quite, it was 25 shots but I agree with the sentiment!

So it was....25 shots, 12 on target. Aye, still unacceptable though.

Smartie
31-01-2015, 07:32 PM

Fair enough, I see your point.

What I would say is that - retrospectively - we should have massacred Raith. To be honest we should have gone on and massacred Falkirk the other week from the position we were in then too.

We have no right to expect to massacre these teams though. To do so requires you to take your chances whilst not giving away silly goals at key points during the game, neither of which we have even come close to mastering yet.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Tempo