PDA

View Full Version : NHC Stan Collymore on the old firm

R11Loaded
28-01-2015, 01:35 PM
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skb47p

He posted this after saying he was supporting celtic for Sunday... Interesting read

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

hibbytam
28-01-2015, 01:39 PM

He posted this after saying he was supporting celtic for Sunday... Interesting read

He's right in his summery of the newco.

He's wrong in his summery of Celtc.

CallumLaidlaw
28-01-2015, 01:41 PM
could someone please copy and paste it on here

Sir David Gray
28-01-2015, 01:41 PM
What an odd article.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Over the last few months I've had a lot of stick from Rangers fans after talking about their club, being critical and sometimes poking a little fun at what even they must see as quite an extraordinary situation which I'm sure makes them laugh and cry in equal measure.

It's usually followed with name calling which is fine, references to "Ally pumped ya burd" which I find genuinely hilarious and more exotic Roman Catholic slurs (I'm Church of England) .

Old clips of an interview at Ibrox I did (went to watch Rangers v St Johnstone when Gazza/Coisty were there) are doing a roaring trade on the retweet circuit, as it rightly suggested at the time that I had a soft spot for the club going back to early teens.

So why the love in for Celtic Football Club now?

Well, my mate, a Rangers fan , taught me the sash as a kid, extolled the virtues of being British and proud, and that Rangers Football Club were a beacon of this pride.

And then I started to read, learn for myself the history of the club, my Britishness, Celtic and came to a swift, quite embarrassing conclusion.

There is very little (Poppy tribute aside, as my family faught for my freedom of speech and my nation) to celebrate about Rangers in my opinion. Virtual sporting apartheid for many years, not allowing one part of the community to play for them was quite frankly a disgrace, and that alone, knowing all about how one group of people look down on another, would have been enough to move on from those Rangers "supporting " days.

Then I learned of very close links historically between some Rangers supporters and right wing nutters who follow Chelsea, who themselves extols the virtues of an anti black, anti immigrant, anti inclusion mantra. Not for me thanks!

But why actively then choose a fondness for Celtic?

A club founded by immigrants, actively encourages immigrants in its support ( don't worry, ****ers monkey chanting Mark Walters are ****ers, and I'm convinced in my own mind, from what I've seen that Celtic FC is way more inclusive than not,I'm not stupid). Is actively anti fascist an has embraced Catholic and Protestant footballers from year dot. In other words, a club who would have embraced my religion merely as a sportsman, not the disgusting apartheid that, if I were a Roman Catholic footballer wouldn't have allowed me in the 70's to wear a blue football shirt.

I don not support the IRA , so anyone trying that one can with respect **** off, I'm a proud English Republican, and that's where my Republican fervour lies, a Royal family is a relic of yesteryear, and again yesteryear rather than a bright tomorrow seems to be celebrated rather too much for my liking at Rangers.

I'll take stick for this and that's fine. I respect Rangers football club achievements, the many fine players they've had and the wonderful support given to Fernando Ricksen last week was truly touching.

But I don't like what Rangers stood for and in many ways continue to stand for, I feel closer and more aligned to what Celtic Football Club stand for.

I support neither, I support Aston Villa Football Club, but I've been asked the question many times on Twitter I decided to address it.

Stan

Diclonius
28-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Anyone who extols Celtic's "good values" clearly either hasn't read about their formation or chooses to ignore it. I'm sure everyone knows what part of their formation I'm referring to.

worcesterhibby
28-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Collymore is a bore. I love talksport, and listen to it all the time as I spend a lot of the time in my car driving round the country for work. Some of the presenters can be annoying (Darron Gough talks a lot of total crap and Adrian durham can be very abrasive) but most of them do have something interesting to say. However I invariably switch off when collymore is on. He never listens only talks. He drones on and on and appears to believe he is the smartest guy on the planet. What's worse though is he is opinionated about things he has no real knowledge of. That for me is the true sign of an idiot, having clear fixed ideas and beliefs about things you don't actually understand. If you don't know what your talking about..don't talk.

Rangers are deeply flawed…but in many ways so are Celtic. The worst thing is that Collymore is perpetuating the myth that when it comes to Scottish football then you have to decide whether you are in the Rangers or Celtic camp…in truth anyone with any sense, is in neither.

Future17
28-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Seems strange to make a point about his attitude towards the "poppy tribute" and then declare that Celtc represent what he stands for.

iwasthere1972
28-01-2015, 02:30 PM

My name is Stan Collymore and I am a twat.

CRAZYHIBBY
28-01-2015, 02:52 PM
My name is Stan Collymore and I am a twat.

My name's stan collymore and so's my wife

Cabbage East
28-01-2015, 02:56 PM
I agree with a lot of what he's saying.

Pete
28-01-2015, 03:51 PM
He's right in his summery of the newco.

He's wrong in his summery of Celtc.

Indeed. If anything the club that matches his values is hibs.

You can't support Irish independence and terrorist groups in these modern times and claim to be truly inclusive. Their fans are contradiction personified.

Carheenlea
28-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Stan Collymore knows nothing about the old firm and Scottish Football. He should stick to talking about things he does know, like attacking women.

.Sean.
28-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Stan Collymore is about as informed on Scottish football as my granny is. Was he pished when he trotted out that nonsense?

Viva_Palmeiras
28-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right Stan - support the Hibs !

Pretty Boy
28-01-2015, 05:10 PM
So he can make excuses for Celtic fans throwing bananas at Mark Walters but won't for Rangers fans being sectarian bigots. Hypocrite if you ask me.

I generally like Collymore but that article is very odd.

Pete
28-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Forgot to say that I don't mind Stan and his style of presenting. He doesn't come across as argumentative for the sake of it and I agree with a lot of his opinions and campaigns.

Those who are slagging him off might want to consider his ongoing illness. It doesn't excuse a lot of his actions but it goes some way towards explaining them.

Since90+2
28-01-2015, 05:21 PM
So he can make excuses for Celtic fans throwing bananas at Mark Walters but won't for Rangers fans being sectarian bigots. Hypocrite if you ask me.

As far as I am aware the throwing of bananas at Walters was a one off incident probably done by 1 or 2 idiots. Thousands of Rangers fans sing naughty songs each week and have done for decades so they are not really comparable.

emerald green
28-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Ill informed people like Stan would be best advised to keep his mouth shut concerning this subject.

He's entitled to his opinion of course, but is drifting into dangerous territory here IMHO. It's not worth the hassle you could potentially end up with Stan.

cabbageandribs1875
29-01-2015, 12:10 PM
good article :agree: he's absolutely spot on regarding the govan bigots

superfurryhibby
29-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Anyone who extols Celtic's "good values" clearly either hasn't read about their formation or chooses to ignore it. I'm sure everyone knows what part of their formation I'm referring to.

Is that the bit where they stole most of Hibs players. I think that was long enough ago to perhaps say that their foundation has little bearing on the club they are now?

superfurryhibby
29-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Indeed. If anything the club that matches his values is hibs.

You can't support Irish independence and terrorist groups in these modern times and claim to be truly inclusive. Their fans are contradiction personified.

Peter, Ireland became independent in 1924. Perhaps a bit general in your statement about terrorism and their support?

Paloschi
29-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Celtic really are a horrible club with double standards and that is the reason why I hate them more than Rangers.

Rangers are what they are they do not pretend they have 'the best fans in the world' and the most moral club on the planet. Indeed Celtic are far from that. They had a go at LG for his Skacel slur saying he must be a Celt off the field. What about the actions of Stokes etc? What does being a 'Celt' of the field even mean? Not being racist but being pro IRA? They really are a strange bunch. Strong hatred for all things Celtic.

Turkish Green
29-01-2015, 01:57 PM
I have never liked Collymore. I was in the Auld Alliance pub in Paris in 98 with many of the TA when Stan cam in and became jealous of his then girlfriend, Ulrika Jonsson, joking along with Ally McCoist and Ewan McGregor among others Scots celebrities. Stan lost the plot and started assaulting Ulrika - kicking her in the head when she was on the floor. It took a group of us to chuck him out of the pub.

He is a prize plum and his reasoning for preferring Celtic just proves how big a prize plum he is.

dangermouse
29-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right Stan - support the Hibs !

I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club nor associated with it in any way shape or form. More suited to being one of them if you ask me.

givescotlandfreedom
29-01-2015, 03:39 PM
He doesn't half talk pish when it comes to Celtc.

Bishop Hibee
29-01-2015, 06:16 PM
I like Collymore as a pundit. I might not agree with everything he says but he gives an opinion. More than the 'sit-on-the-fence' Michael Owen types. He gets dogs abuse on twitter from UKIP morons and worse. One brain dead fascist actually called him racist for talking about the Black Country!

Jones28
31-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Anyone involved in Scottish football can see for themselves that they are 2 cheeks of the same arse. He can go to
The old firm game on Sunday and see for himself, both a re bigoted and vile in their own way.

H18Y GW
31-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Celtic really are a horrible club with double standards and that is the reason why I hate them more than Rangers.

Rangers are what they are they do not pretend they have 'the best fans in the world' and the most moral club on the planet. Indeed Celtic are far from that. They had a go at LG for his Skacel slur saying he must be a Celt off the field. What about the actions of Stokes etc? What does being a 'Celt' of the field even mean? Not being racist but being pro IRA? They really are a strange bunch. Strong hatred for all things Celtic.

This for me , they (Celtc)are like ISIS for Me , preach there cause but are actually horrible *******s .

They seem to like us , it's a small percentage of our support like them due I'd guess to Anti Hun sentiment.

I personally hate both

superfurryhibby
31-01-2015, 08:50 AM
This for me , they (Celtc)are like ISIS for Me , preach there cause but are actually horrible *******s .

They seem to like us , it's a small percentage of our support like them due I'd guess to Anti Hun sentiment.

I personally hate both

Aye, a Scottish football club are just like an international terror -based organisation right enough. Which cause are Celtic preaching again?

Smartie
31-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I like Collymore as a pundit. I might not agree with everything he says but he gives an opinion. More than the 'sit-on-the-fence' Michael Owen types. He gets dogs abuse on twitter from UKIP morons and worse. One brain dead fascist actually called him racist for talking about the Black Country!

I don't really mind him one way or the other. He's opinionated, sometimes right and sometimes wrong but sticks to his convictions and is reasonably fair.

The Old Firm shouldn't really be of any great interest to him and so you wonder why he might be getting involved. The answer is that he's probably had some sickening personal abuse from some of the lowest forms of pond life imaginable (the lowest common denominator at the The Rangers is very low indeed).

Unfortunately that can often send people in totally the wrong direction, and he's gone in the direction of Celtic. A bit like the kind of folk who are disaffected and on the end of pretty horrible racism etc thinking that supporting ISIS (or their like) is the answer.

heretoday
31-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Stan's a motormouth. Can't stand listening to him frankly. Trouble is you switch over and it's Robbie Savage blethering on the other side!

H18Y GW
31-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Stan's a motormouth. Can't stand listening to him frankly. Trouble is you switch over and it's Robbie Savage blethering on the other side!

Worse still could be Alan Preston

Scott Allan Key
31-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Worse still could be Alan Preston

Sorry mate. I can take the ridiculous comparison as a bit of hyperbole but using "Allah Akbar' (sic). It is offensive to Muslim Hibs fans like myself and my family to imply any link between ISIS and Islam but particularly to use Allahu Akbar in a derogoratory or inappropriate way such as celebrating heinous crimes. It means God is greater than anything that is in existence and all goes back to God. It shouldn't be used out of context or without forethought but heyho, freedom of speech, we are free to make fools of ourselves, often in ignorance rather than maliciously I suppose.

ISIS are are total anachronisms. It is like saying the KKK are God fearing Christians. No substance.

H18Y GW
31-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Sorry mate. I can take the ridiculous comparison as a bit of hyperbole but using "Allah Akbar' (sic). It is offensive to Muslim Hibs fans like myself and my family to imply any link between ISIS and Islam but particularly to use Allahu Akbar in a derogoratory or inappropriate way such as celebtating heinous crimesThey are are total anachronisms. It is like saying the KKK are God fearing Christians. No substance.

Apologies , it was meant tongue in cheek and it's unfortunate you can't take it like that, this is how many problems start and as in France finish.

FranckSuzy
31-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Apologies , it was meant tongue in cheek and it's unfortunate you can't take it like that, this is how many problems start and as in France finish.

You are coming across, on this thread and others, as a very strange individual.