PDA

View Full Version : Benny's Hat-Trick - Were you one of the 5000 to witness it?

Carheenlea
28-01-2015, 11:15 AM
30 years since Ally Brazil scored his now fabled treble against Celtic. I was lucky enough to be there to see it as a 14 year old.
Alan Pattullo met Benny to talk about the memorable day - http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/ally-benny-brazil-hibs-unlikely-hat-trick-hero-1-3670617

Peevemor
28-01-2015, 11:16 AM
30 years since Ally Brazil scored his now fabled treble against Celtic. I was there to see it as a 14 year old, and Alan Pattullo met Benny to talk about the memorable day - http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/ally-benny-brazil-hibs-unlikely-hat-trick-hero-1-3670617

I was there, in the old North enclosure, just beside the tunnel.

DaveF
28-01-2015, 11:22 AM
I think I was in the coo shed that day. 30 years!

ano hibby
28-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Ditto
Think it was my first Hibs Celtic game...just assumed it was normal. Happy days :)

Bostonhibby
28-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Me and two mates were both definitely there - how could you forget a day like that! Lived in Meadowbank at the time - We were in the old enclosure below the West that you got into via the turnstiles near the old school entrance.

Peevemor
28-01-2015, 11:26 AM

IIRC the east terracing wasn't open. It may well have been my first match in the enclosure and I think we moved there until the seating was put in.

wpj
28-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Was there with my brother a hastily scheduled game due to bad weather cancelling other games I think? Cracking game!

Brooster
28-01-2015, 11:35 AM
I was there, in the coo shed. 6-3 to hibs wasnt it?

southern hibby
28-01-2015, 11:40 AM
I was there. If I remember correctly we actually missed a couple of decent chances too.

GGTTH

vincipernoi
28-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I was there

my memory was that only the old north stand was open

I ended up in the celtic end by mistake

the visiting fans had lost their good humour by the end of the game

number9dream
28-01-2015, 12:07 PM
I met my pals after the game and flatly refused to believe it! I still have my doubts...

Kato
28-01-2015, 12:10 PM

Exactly the same spot as me. That was a hoot hanging around there at games, punters included a pre-fame Proclaimers.

Hibs/Celtic games for around 18 months at that time were hugely entertaining.

Waxy
28-01-2015, 12:14 PM
I was there. They shut the east terrace so it was a decent atmosphere. Sure it was a cup tie at tannadice which had been cancelled.

CockneyRebel
28-01-2015, 12:18 PM

I was there in the old standing enclosure in the old West stand. Everyone was in a daze walking away from the ground afterwards muttering things like "Benny f***ing Brazil?" and shaking their heads in disbelief. Although he was re-signed by about 5 managers he was never a supporters favourite but nobody begrudged him his night of fame.

PaulC
28-01-2015, 12:21 PM
I was there - old north enclosure

oldbutdim
28-01-2015, 12:36 PM
I was at that surreal game too.

A more unlikely candidate for a hat trick against the Smellies would be hard to find.

(That's not a challenge by the way. :wink: )

superfurryhibby
28-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Benny Brazil took a hell of a lot of stick. For those too young to remember him, it would make the abuse handed out to guys like Liam Craig seem polite.

He was a regular starter in an era when Hibs were on the slide. The period of relegation under Turnbull and the subsequent anti football of Auld was torture. It didnae get much better under Stanton and Blackley either.

Benny is probably best remembered as being a guy who gave his all for the jersey. The hat trick against Celtic was very much out of keeping with his general performance and I think it was regarded by fans as an amusing abberation at the time.

O'Rourke3
28-01-2015, 12:40 PM
I wasn't there. Couldn't swap my shift at The Artisan and couldn't believe the news and score as the regulars made their way back.

Sent from my brain

Scorrie
28-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I was there in the old North enclosure. Mates back in the pub couldnt believe the score or that Benny had scored three. What a day! Imagining a hastily arranged friendly taking place these days!

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-01-2015, 12:54 PM
I was there

my memory was that only the old north stand was open

I ended up in the celtic end by mistake

the visiting fans had lost their good humour by the end of the game

Thats where I was too.

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-01-2015, 12:59 PM
I was a season ticket holder in the old North Stand, could hardly believe my eyes to be honest, you can catch him driving the number 36 bus most days now. :wink:

kaimendhibs
28-01-2015, 01:02 PM
I was there!

Golden Bear
28-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Yip, I was another coo shed resident - or was it "The Cave"?

Hiber-nation
28-01-2015, 01:17 PM
I was there - old north enclosure

Me too. Went to school with Benny, he was a flying winger as a youth.

southsider
28-01-2015, 01:40 PM
He wore a bandana that day to cover a head knock and the Hibs fans were calling him Rambo.

jodjam
28-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Yup I was there in the coo shed.

Berwickhibby
28-01-2015, 01:41 PM
I was there, In the old stand enclosure, I recall the Rambo chants for Benny as he cut his head :thumbsup:

Smartie
28-01-2015, 01:50 PM
He was before my time but I've heard from players who played for Hibs at the time that he was dynamite in training. As was mentioned, 5 managers re-signed him and he was popular amongst the players, if not necessarily the fans so he must have had something.

I regularly get the no. 36 bus and it brightens up my day when I see him because I know of the legend. I always chuckled at his football sticker when I was wee because of his unique appearance.

Seekyit
28-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Yep, I was there. Didn't realise Benny missed a penalty in the shoot out v Celtic League Cup tie later that year. Didn't matter in the end...

Hibbyradge
28-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Main terrace. :wink:

Actually, I know I was at the game, but I have no idea where.

I used to frequent the enclosure so if the east terrace really was closed, I would guess I was in there.

Deansy
28-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Benny Brazil took a hell of a lot of stick. For those too young to remember him, it would make the abuse handed out to guys like Liam Craig seem polite.

He was a regular starter in an era when Hibs were on the slide. The period of relegation under Turnbull and the subsequent anti football of Auld was torture. It didnae get much better under Stanton and Blackley either.

Benny is probably best remembered as being a guy who gave his all for the jersey. The hat trick against Celtic was very much out of keeping with his general performance and I think it was regarded by fans as an amusing abberation at the time.

Picture 'Mr Bean' trying to play football ................

Like a few others on here, I stood in the 'North Enclosure', our regular spot for years.

Can anyone confirm - Did Benny do a 'Lap of honour' at full-time ?. Dunno if it's my imagination or memory playing up ?

tamig
28-01-2015, 03:04 PM
I treated myself to a seat in the old North stand that day. It was baltic. Didn't realise it was in January as I had recollections of it being before the new year for some reason. A unique occasion though and glad to have witnessed it.

skipster7
28-01-2015, 03:59 PM
In the main stand, Celtic had a good team out as well iirc. Great game played like a testimonial really. I'm sure Benny scored a cracker from the edge of the box as one of his 3.

KSA Hibee
28-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I remember walking back to the car with my Uncle after the game .. coming towards us in the opposite direction was an OAP who asked "wit wus the score boys?"

one of the crowd shouted back "6-3 tae Hibs" ..

back came the reply " ya cheek wee bugger, I wus only asking the score... nae need tae be smart in front o' yer pals"

Still makes me smile remembering the lad trying to convince the old chap we had scored 6 and Benny had got himself a hat trick.

Fife-Hibee
28-01-2015, 04:37 PM
In the old north stand, just remember Benny grabbing the ball for the pen, cant remember who from tho :)

Jonnyboy
28-01-2015, 04:38 PM

As was I Dave but I wouldn't have recognised you, given you had hair in those days :greengrin

Kato
28-01-2015, 05:00 PM
. I'm sure Benny scored a cracker from the edge of the box as one of his 3.

My memory is that it was well out the box and it was a raker. Thought Benny played well for us in his last two seasons as a spoiler breaking up play in front of the defence. Before that he usually spoiled our play.

Sergey
28-01-2015, 05:04 PM
I was in the front row of the main stand that day - I think I still have the programme kicking about somewhere.

Those were the days. A midfield of Benny Brazil and Stuart Turnbull. Both were as bad as each other.

Bobo
28-01-2015, 05:08 PM
I was there, 26 January 1985, hard to believe it's been 30 years!

There was no programme for the game so I made sure I picked up a copy of the Pink on the way home, the teams listed were:

Hibs

Rough

Sneddon,, Brazil, G. Rae, Schaedler

Kane, McNamara, Rice, Weir

Durie, Jamieson.

Subs: Hunter, Harris, McKee, Milne, R. Rae.

Celtic

Bonnar

Reid, McAdam, McLeod, McGrain

P. McStay, Burns, McClair, Provan

Johnstone, McInally

Subs: Grant, Colquhoun, W. McStay, O'Leary

Great match to witness on what would have been a blank weekend because of the weather, had we not been one of the first clubs to install under soil heating.

bigwheel
28-01-2015, 05:18 PM
I was in the old enclosure...I seem to recall being in the "away" side of the enclosure too for some reason....and it was bloody freezing!

Frazerbob
28-01-2015, 05:52 PM
I was there, standing in the East Terrace, which a few have mentioned, was closed. I seem to remember the wee corner of the terrace next to the cow shed being open though. I was a ball boy back then.....along with the current Dundee Utd manager!

Tom Hart RIP
28-01-2015, 05:57 PM
I was in the north stand. I seem to remember the Celtic fans fighting amongst themselves?????
I met Benny at Alan Sneddons testimonial 10 pin bowling event and he was the celebrity on our rink. Nice guy and popular amongst the others who kept coming up to say hello

Tom Hart RIP
28-01-2015, 06:00 PM
On a different note.
I remember when Hibs arranged a friendly with Motherwell in early 80s when other games were postponed.
Hibs asked for volunteers to help clear the snow off the pitch. I think Bertie Auld was manager ???? Anyone else help out that day??

Stantons Angel
28-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I was there in the "coo shed" too.

It was a most surreal experience, i kept having to pinch myself to make sure i wasnt dreaming!

A great day for the much maligned Benny and a good result for the Hibs!

Waxy
28-01-2015, 06:04 PM

There was no programme for the game so I made sure I picked up a copy of the Pink on the way home, the teams listed were:

Hibs

Rough

Durie, Jamieson.

Celtic

Bonnar

Reid, McAdam, McLeod, McGrain

P. McStay, Burns, McClair, Provan

Johnstone, McInally

Subs: Grant, Colquhoun, W. McStay, O'Leary

Great match to witness on what would have been a blank weekend because of the weather, had we not been one of the first clubs to install under soil heating.Ah Colin Harris.Remember his last minute winner at ibrox.

Bobo
28-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Ah Colin Harris.Remember his last minute winner at ibrox.

And his goal against the Smellies in the 4-4 game.... another good night :aok:

semaj64
28-01-2015, 06:24 PM

Yes was there too hard to believe the score. Was great to see Benny get his hat trick especially when he usually got lots of stick. Remember also the Tic fighting in the stands.

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2015, 06:56 PM
My worst memory of Benny was a cup replay at ER against Dundee Utd. We were surprisingly leading well into injury time when the Great Man stepped in and ,despite having the option of blootering the ball into the back row of the stand , he bizarrely opted to kick it out for a needless corner. The rest is history.

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2015, 06:59 PM
I was there, in the Coo Shed http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Feed McGraw
28-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Yip, I was another coo shed resident - or was it "The Cave"? For me, it will always be "The Cave". Most grounds had a coo shed - WE had a cave.

weonlywon6-2
28-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Yep I was there😀

weonlywon6-2
28-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Yep I was there😀

sadtom
28-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Aye. Was in the old standing enclosure wi 3/4 mates.
Pretty sure Jackie Mac also scored a rare goal that game.
A crackin goal it was too IIRC.

Deansy
28-01-2015, 07:45 PM
My worst memory of Benny was a cup replay at ER against Dundee Utd. We were surprisingly leading well into injury time when the Great Man stepped in and ,despite having the option of blootering the ball into the back row of the stand , he bizarrely opted to kick it out for a needless corner. The rest is history.

Aaaargh - I remember that !!. My memory of that game (although my memory is that this was the 1st game with the replay at Tannadice ??) was Benny 'attempting' to play keepie-uppie with the ball on the line but lost control of it, knocked it over for a corner - from which they promptly equalised !!

BT58
28-01-2015, 07:46 PM
North Enclosure for me too and my
my best 2 mates ( of whom have sadly passed) the Thomson twins ( Jim and Arnie). Has my memory failed me but did Bennie no score the hatrick early, because I'm sure some clown at the side of us started slagging BB in the 2nd half and he got told where to go

gaz1875
28-01-2015, 09:21 PM
I was there centre stand, not sure if it was this game but Benny went in for a crunching 50/50 you could here a loud cracking noise as Benny hit the deck, everyone feared the worst, then up he jumped as if nothing had happened and on he went...it was so funny at the time everyone thought he would be stretchered off!!

Black Kyle
28-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Superb summary of a legend. I was there too, North Enclosure.

Zorro
28-01-2015, 10:55 PM
I was there, absolutely no memory of where I was in the ground but the feeling of disbelief mixed with joy for Benny is something I know I'm not misremembering!! Was definitely at that game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-01-2015, 12:59 AM
IIRC I'm sure Benny stayed a couple of doors down the road from my auntie in Balerno when I was a bairn.

Danderhall Hibs
29-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Looks like we've found all 5000 that were there then. :greengrin

Col2
29-01-2015, 07:30 AM
30 years since Ally Brazil scored his now fabled treble against Celtic. I was lucky enough to be there to see it as a 14 year old.
Alan Pattullo met Benny to talk about the memorable day - http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/ally-benny-brazil-hibs-unlikely-hat-trick-hero-1-3670617

My first ever Hibs game. Where has the 30 years gone????!

I was 14 as well. I remember it's was freezing, I remember when the players came on to warm up , Mo Johnstone getting loads of friendly abuse about how much Vaseline or something that was on his legs making them shine!!

Incredible game and high tempo for a friendly. I was in the enclosure as part of old main stand.

Bill Milne
29-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I was in the South Enclosure at the game and, afterwards, in Cloud Cuckoo Land with the result. IIRC one of Benny's goals was a brilliant diving header.

Alfred E Newman
29-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Aaaargh - I remember that !!. My memory of that game (although my memory is that this was the 1st game with the replay at Tannadice ??) was Benny 'attempting' to play keepie-uppie with the ball on the line but lost control of it, knocked it over for a corner - from which they promptly equalised !!

I checked back and we are both right! The game at Easter road was a replay after a 1-1 draw at Tannadice. Benny's classic intervention in injury time took the replay to extra time and it finished 1-1. At that time that meant a 2nd replay and after losing the toss the game went back to Tannadice and we duly lost 3-0. Well done Benny!!

Bishop Hibee
29-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I was there in the old North Stand. Great game for a friendly. Celtc had a mix of really great players and a few duffers. Benny was immense!

To correct the post above, the 2nd replay of Hibs v Utd was also held at ER. We were well beaten sadly.

Glory Lurker
29-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Ah Colin Harris.Remember his last minute winner at ibrox.

That was two Saturdays before Benny's hat trick (I wasn't there :-( ). Beating both the OF in the space of a fortnight was amazing, but turned out it was only the start of a cracking 14 months or so against them.

Alfred E Newman
29-01-2015, 08:19 PM
I was there in the old North Stand. Great game for a friendly. Celtc had a mix of really great players and a few duffers. Benny was immense!

To correct the post above, the 2nd replay of Hibs v Utd was also held at ER. We were well beaten sadly.

I stand corrected once again Bishop! United were a good side at that time of course which made Benny's blunder all the worse. Who else remembers the time Benny suffered a head knock and completed the game Rambo style with a bandage covering a nasty head wound?
I recall some bright spark in the crowd shouting " I think his brains are leaking" !

heretoday
29-01-2015, 08:35 PM
In the Coo Shed. Was it seated by then? I can't recall.

Carheenlea
30-01-2015, 12:18 AM
In the Coo Shed. Was it seated by then? I can't recall.

It was. I was surprised reading the memories of game in my OP, and the recollections on here as we must have all been packed into the Cow Shed as the terracing was apparently closed with the bad weather, and such was the volume of fans in there, my memory is of a bumper crowd!
Did we not take advantage round about the same time of being trailblazers with the undersoil heating to hastily arrange a game against Manchester United when the UK card was wiped out with bad weather, with Easter Road the only playable pitch in the country at the time?

hibbymark
30-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Cow shed for me that day as well. I also remember having a song in my head at school all week after that game and hope we can sing it again

soon. Hibees are back, Hibees are back hello hello !!!!!!!!!!

weecounty hibby
30-01-2015, 06:28 AM
It was. I was surprised reading the memories of game in my OP, and the recollections on here as we must have all been packed into the Cow Shed as the terracing was apparently closed with the bad weather, and such was the volume of fans in there, my memory is of a bumper crowd!
Did we not take advantage round about the same time of being trailblazers with the undersoil heating to hastily arrange a game against Manchester United when the UK card was wiped out with bad weather, with Easter Road the only playable pitch in the country at the time?

Yep, 1-1 draw that day v Manchester UTC. If memory serves me right Brian Robson scored for them then got taken off with a shoulder injury that kept him out for some time. I may of course be havering a lot of pish

Peevemor
30-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Yep, 1-1 draw that day v Manchester UTC. If memory serves me right Brian Robson scored for them then got taken off with a shoulder injury that kept him out for some time. I may of course be havering a lot of pish

I can't remember who scored for Man U, but Robson definitely wen't off after Erich splattered him (hard but fair :wink:). Willie Jamieson scored for Hibs with his first touch after coming after the bench.

Brizo
30-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Hibs

Rough

Durie, Jamieson.

Great match to witness on what would have been a blank weekend because of the weather, had we not been one of the first clubs to install under soil heating.

Not a bad Hibs team and some real "characters" in that squad :greengrin.

I enjoyed the whole fitba thing much more then. Always felt the players cared a lot more about the club and us, back then.

Like others I was in the old North enclosure and it was baltic. Bennys performance was surreal and its one of those games you always remember.

I must admit I always think about the likes of Benny when I read multi page threads about current day players getting abuse. He got slaughtered week in week out and it often started before he went onto the pitch. Todays boo boys are amateurs compared to the 80s boo boys :greengrin

Bobo
30-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I can't remember who scored for Man U, but Robson definitely wen't off after Erich splattered him (hard but fair :wink:). Willie Jamieson scored for Hibs with his first touch after coming after the bench.

Was it not Frank Stapleton that scored for Utd?

Peevemor
30-01-2015, 11:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsUUwTELxnk

Carheenlea
30-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Found some pics -
14168 14169

Match report - http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1985-01-26%3A+Hibernian+6-3+Celtic,+Friendly

Carheenlea
30-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Picture from Manchester United game. The great Derek Rodier leaving Bryan Robson for dead...:clapper:

http://thescotsmanpublications.newsprints.co.uk/view/22577251/256926a_jpg

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I stumbled across a thread re the game on Kerrydale Street yesterday, cannae post the link on my phone.

Capt Mainwaring
30-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Was in the Old North Stand that day. A shot a header and a penalty for the hat trick

I also recall Maurice Johnston's goal down the slope was miles offside and I was raging that a 3-1 half time lead was going to be clawed back

trev the hat
30-01-2015, 09:43 PM
I got the bus down at H/T & got in with a mate with 20 min to go for nowt !!

Bishop Hibee
30-01-2015, 10:37 PM
I'd forgotten all about that game v Man Utd. Both clubs were in the doldrums but I remember it still being a big occasion and it was great to see guys like Stapleton and Robson up close and see Hibs players compete well against them.

The Harp
30-01-2015, 10:55 PM
I was in the old North Stand too (still miss the old place and some of the regular characters in there). Had Harp junior with me - his memory of it will be a lot clearer than mine.
Not many non-strikers would be able to say they once netted a hat trick against Celtic, so Benny will have a tale to tell his grandkids (if he has any).