PDA

View Full Version : cold haggis ideas please!

Off the bar
27-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Slightly unusual thread for a football forum but hey ho.

We were due to be hosting a Burns super over the weekend but for one reason or another had to cancel and we've not been able to rearange before the haggis goes bad, so I've got a massive haggis to eat up. I'm gonna cook it tonight but the butcher reliably informed me that said haggis will comfortably feed 8 people, now I'm gonna get stuck into it tonight but I've got a feeing even if me and the mrs are hungry we're going to be left with quite alot of haggis so if anyone has any suggestions or recipes of what to do with cold haggis that would be much appreciated!

thanks

Wilson
27-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Slightly unusual thread for a football forum but hey ho.

We were due to be hosting a Burns super over the weekend but for one reason or another had to cancel and we've not been able to rearange before the haggis goes bad, so I've got a massive haggis to eat up. I'm gonna cook it tonight but the butcher reliably informed me that said haggis will comfortably feed 8 people, now I'm gonna get stuck into it tonight but I've got a feeing even if me and the mrs are hungry we're going to be left with quite alot of haggis so if anyone has any suggestions or recipes of what to do with cold haggis that would be much appreciated!

thanks

Bin it.

derekHFC
27-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Why don't you freeze some of it and then re-use at your convenience?

Haggis is normally ok for around 10-14 days I think.

Off the bar
27-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Why don't you freeze some of it and then re-use at your convenience?

Haggis is normally ok for around 10-14 days I think.

you thinking cook it, freeze it and then reheat it or burst it raw and freeze some of it?

I'd be a bit nervous about bursting it raw if I'm honest plus how would you cook it once it's out of its skin?

Sergey
27-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Wontons

Get yourself some wonton wrappers (normally sold frozen) and wrap a couple of teaspoons of haggis in each wrapper.

You can either deep fry them for a couple of minutes or boil them in some broth and have them as a soup.

Hermit Crab
27-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Put the haggis in a soup. Lovely.

Geo_1875
27-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Whack it on a pizza with extra cheese.

over the line
27-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Make a huge shepherds pie (yum!) with it and freeze some.

Off the bar
27-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Some good suggestions here! thanks guys :thumbsup:

Obviously I'll have it with neeps and tatties tonight, then I think I'll fry some up with eggs in the morning and then I'm leaning towards making a big shepherds pie and having that later in the week.

Also having looked online someone is suggesting having it as a nacho topping with salsa and guacamole which sounds pretty good as well! Who'd have though haggis was so versatile!

Sergey
27-01-2015, 03:58 PM

Obviously I'll have it with neeps and tatties tonight, then I think I'll fry some up with eggs in the morning and then I'm leaning towards making a big shepherds pie and having that later in the week.

Also having looked online someone is suggesting having it as a nacho topping with salsa and guacamole which sounds pretty good as well! Who'd have though haggis was so versatile!

Whatever you do with it, try and render as much fat from the haggis as you can before doing anything else with it.

Try stir frying in a frying pan and then straining it in a colander. Just adding it as a topping in its uncooked state isn't a healthy option.

speedy_gonzales
27-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Wontons

Get yourself some wonton wrappers (normally sold frozen) and wrap a couple of teaspoons of haggis in each wrapper.

You can either deep fry them for a couple of minutes or boil them in some broth and have them as a soup.
Hmmm, these would be nice with a wee whisky cream sauce,,,,unfortunately I just launched the remnants of our haggis in the bin this afternoon.
I'd dig it back out but I'll leave the bin raking for our Gorgie cousins!

Godsahibby
27-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Haggis toasties for lunch the morn

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Just cook what you need tonight and freeze the rest! Haggis normally has a 21 day life from production which usually equates to about 14 days shelf life once it reaches the butcher or shop so you might not even need to freeze depending on how old it is.

Off the bar
27-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Just cook what you need tonight and freeze the rest! Haggis normally has a 21 day life from production which usually equates to about 14 days shelf life once it reaches the butcher or shop so you might not even need to freeze depending on how old it is.

Too late scouse! It's boiling away in the pan as I type! Big dinner tonight then left overs till it's done!

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Too late scouse! It's boiling away in the pan as I type! Big dinner tonight then left overs till it's done!

Ha enjoy then mate.

Andy Bee
28-01-2015, 01:53 AM
I suggest not cooking it at all and re-introduce it back into the wild, it's the right thing to do :agree:

Speedy
28-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Can you not reheat it?

CB_NO3
28-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Have it with Nachos.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Can you not reheat it?

That would've been my suggestion.