PDA

View Full Version : Rod Petrie in the EEN

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 11:16 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-why-had-to-stay-at-hibs-1-3671078

Hibs chairman Rod Petrie today revealed he had seriously considered quitting after last season’s relegation from the Scottish Premiership.

Petrie was the immediate target as an angry crowd gathered outside Easter Road after Hamilton Accies’ dramatic penalty shoot-out win in the play-off last May condemned Hibs to the Championship, with a further protest aimed at forcing him out taking place in early June.

In an exclusive interview with the Evening News today, Petrie explained that, while walking away would have been the easy option, he decided to stay as he felt the sweeping changes which are now taking place at the Capital club may have failed without him at the helm.

Recent weeks have seen Hibs declare themselves free of bank debt, unveil a structured plan to repay the remaining £5 million debt interest-free over the next ten years, offer fans the chance to buy 51 per cent of their club and have two supporters, revealed today as Frank Dougan and Amit Moudgil, elected as non-executive directors.

However, Petrie insisted those moves were already underway this time last year with Leeann Dempster, then chief executive at Motherwell, lined up to take over as he stepped back from day-to-day operations.

Admitting relegation was both “humiliating and embarrassing,” Petrie said: “There was a protest on the day and in the immediate week afterwards.

“We live in a blame culture and obviously things were said and it was very clearly directed at me. Did I consider my position? Of course I did, it would have been daft not to and it might have been easier to walk away. But you face up to things, it’s how you react, what you do in adversity.

“We’d worked very hard during the 2013/14 season because we knew things had to change. The search for a new chief exec to come in, take over and take us on to the next generation had already started, we knew we wanted to address the ownership model of the club.

“There were some interesting and challenging conversations we had in private about what that might look like.”

Petrie, who was also conducting negotiations with the Bank of Scotland which eventually took round 11 months to conclude regarding the club’s debt, insisted “circumstances” saw plans which were ready to be unveiled put on hold while changes in the law regarding financial legislation complicated the share offer.

He said: “All these things were going on in the background, you have laid plans, people are working very hard to achieve an outcome and if I had walked away I think it is questionable as to how much, if any, of it would’ve happened.

“Leeann was just coming on board, experienced and talented, but it was important she was given the right introductions and what have you.

“There were people who came and rattled the windows, shook the door handle and tried to get in and we had to deal with all that and at the same time being very focused that we had failed on the football pitch. Supporters are passionate and that makes you say some harsh things. In different circumstances people make up more quickly, more easily.

“The sadness for me was seeing the Hibernian name broadcast around the world in that distressing and aggressive way.”

Kato
27-01-2015, 11:31 AM
“We live in a blame culture"

That's fair enough to say that these days.

So also fair to say we do not live in a "take responsibility" culture.

Andy74
27-01-2015, 11:34 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-why-had-to-stay-at-hibs-1-3671078

Hibs chairman Rod Petrie today revealed he had seriously considered quitting after last season’s relegation from the Scottish Premiership.

Petrie was the immediate target as an angry crowd gathered outside Easter Road after Hamilton Accies’ dramatic penalty shoot-out win in the play-off last May condemned Hibs to the Championship, with a further protest aimed at forcing him out taking place in early June.

In an exclusive interview with the Evening News today, Petrie explained that, while walking away would have been the easy option, he decided to stay as he felt the sweeping changes which are now taking place at the Capital club may have failed without him at the helm.

Recent weeks have seen Hibs declare themselves free of bank debt, unveil a structured plan to repay the remaining £5 million debt interest-free over the next ten years, offer fans the chance to buy 51 per cent of their club and have two supporters, revealed today as Frank Dougan and Amit Moudgil, elected as non-executive directors.

However, Petrie insisted those moves were already underway this time last year with Leeann Dempster, then chief executive at Motherwell, lined up to take over as he stepped back from day-to-day operations.

Admitting relegation was both “humiliating and embarrassing,” Petrie said: “There was a protest on the day and in the immediate week afterwards.

“We live in a blame culture and obviously things were said and it was very clearly directed at me. Did I consider my position? Of course I did, it would have been daft not to and it might have been easier to walk away. But you face up to things, it’s how you react, what you do in adversity.

“We’d worked very hard during the 2013/14 season because we knew things had to change. The search for a new chief exec to come in, take over and take us on to the next generation had already started, we knew we wanted to address the ownership model of the club.

“There were some interesting and challenging conversations we had in private about what that might look like.”

Petrie, who was also conducting negotiations with the Bank of Scotland which eventually took round 11 months to conclude regarding the club’s debt, insisted “circumstances” saw plans which were ready to be unveiled put on hold while changes in the law regarding financial legislation complicated the share offer.

He said: “All these things were going on in the background, you have laid plans, people are working very hard to achieve an outcome and if I had walked away I think it is questionable as to how much, if any, of it would’ve happened.

“Leeann was just coming on board, experienced and talented, but it was important she was given the right introductions and what have you.

“There were people who came and rattled the windows, shook the door handle and tried to get in and we had to deal with all that and at the same time being very focused that we had failed on the football pitch. Supporters are passionate and that makes you say some harsh things. In different circumstances people make up more quickly, more easily.

“The sadness for me was seeing the Hibernian name broadcast around the world in that distressing and aggressive way.”

Fair enough. Job done now though eh?

lyonhibs
27-01-2015, 11:34 AM
14 pages, 3 bans for personal abuse and a lot of hot air from all concerned.

Allow me, if you will, to get my popcorn.

JimBHibees
27-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Not altogether sure of the purpose of that interview to be honest.

JimBHibees
27-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Fair enough. Job done now though eh?

Agree, transition must be over now or as a minimum the time for setting a date for leaving.

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 11:37 AM

It looks to me like a "side" story - he was probably interviewed about the AGM, new directors thing - we'll see tomorriw.

Hibs Class
27-01-2015, 11:38 AM

Possibly wants to get it out there ahead of AGM tomorrow, maybe gauge current feelings by the responses it gets

JimBHibees
27-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Possibly wants to get it out there ahead of AGM tomorrow, maybe gauge current feelings by the responses it gets

Wish he hadnt to be honest if that is the purpose.

SteveHFC
27-01-2015, 11:46 AM
I wished he did quit :aok:

AlbertK86
27-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Trying to make himself look like the good guy before the AGM

can't sack the manager this year so has to take a different tack

still needs to resign for the club to be fully united with all the fans

Ozyhibby
27-01-2015, 11:59 AM
If it took 11 months of negotiation with Bank of Scotland then I think it's safe to assume that the bank took a hit on what was repayed.

lord bunberry
27-01-2015, 12:02 PM
He should keep his mouth shut and stop giving interviews.

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 12:04 PM

What? About once a year?

lord bunberry
27-01-2015, 12:07 PM
What? About once a year?

One to many. Anything he says will only lead to people looking back in anger at what happened and lead to speculation that he's still pulling the strings. What is he hoping to achieve by giving interviews? He should refer all questions to Dempster.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2015, 12:07 PM

That's the opposite of what we used say about him. :-)

jacomo
27-01-2015, 12:08 PM
'The easy thing would have been to walk away' is a classic line worthy of any failing politian. Normally they are a bit quicker, though.

The 'interesting' conversations during 2013/14 don't quite explain the triumphant presentation of Butcher in November, do they? The long term, expensive contract handed out at a time when the club were contemplating a complete restructure makes no sense at all.

Let me say this though - the 'change' Petrie signalled last summer has been genuine, far-reaching and positive. At long last, this looks like a properly run football club.

And I can see why Petrie is still chairman - regardless of what I or any other supporter thinks, he retains the confidence of the owner, and Farmer looks to retain a big stake in Hibs for a while yet.

It's been a very, very messy process to get here though!

lord bunberry
27-01-2015, 12:09 PM

That's true

JoeT_WasTheBest
27-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Given the recent announcements and this series of interviews in the EEN, I would be very surprised if he does not announce his intention to stand down tomorrow night.

hhibs
27-01-2015, 12:12 PM

The " poor me " defence.

The man has no shame and is a prize manipulator.

Just GO !

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 12:14 PM
The " poor me " defence.

The man has no shame and is a prize manipulator.

Just GO !

Where's the "poor me" bit? :confused:

jacomo
27-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Given the recent announcements and this series of interviews in the EEN, I would be very surprised if he does not announce his intention to stand down tomorrow night.

I think he might be on the Board for a while yet - as I said above, as far as we know Tom Farmer intends on keeping a big stake in the club for a while yet.

In time, especially if HSL gets to 51% of shares, I imagine there being a different Chair of the Board... perhaps someone more comfortable with being the public face of the club, and sharing some of the responsibility for media interviews / representation etc with LD.

JoeT_WasTheBest
27-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I think he might be on the Board for a while yet - as I said above, as far as we know Tom Farmer intends on keeping a big stake in the club for a while yet.

In time, especially if HSL gets to 51% of shares, I imagine there being a different Chair of the Board... perhaps someone more comfortable with being the public face of the club, and sharing some of the responsibility for media interviews / representation etc with LD.

You could be right, but I am reading it as him justifying why he's stayed on up to now, and then I'm expecting him to say he'll go now we have got to this stage. I may be wrong though, we'll see tomorrow one way or another :greengrin

hhibs
27-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Where's the "poor me" bit? :confused:

Last two paras and,for me the man continues to deflect,but thats my opinion I am sure many on here will find no fault:brickwall

Pretty Boy
27-01-2015, 12:21 PM
I still think he'll announce his decsion to resign tomorrow and name a date for his departure.

That interview reads like a 'I helped sort out the mess, job done' piece. I can't see any other reason for him speaking publicly tbh.

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Last two paras and,for me the man continues to deflect,but thats my opinion I am sure many on here will find no fault:brickwall

Bang your head all you want. I see no problem in anything he said there.

WhileTheChief..
27-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Cracking interview.

Shows he is just as passionate about Hibs as the rest of us.

hhibs
27-01-2015, 12:27 PM
I still think he'll announce his decsion to resign tomorrow and name a date for his departure.

That interview reads like a 'I helped sort out the mess, job done' piece. I can't see any other reason for him speaking publicly tbh.

Please God that be true,would certainly help heal many divisions.

Steve20
27-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Cracking interview.

Shows he is just as passionate about Hibs as the rest of us.

:fishin:

WhileTheChief..
27-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Not at all.

I've just never felt it was all down to one man. If I wanted to blame anyone it would be Butcher.

Time is a great healer and everything is now moving in the right direction so I don't see why he can't put his side forward, God knows enough of us gave him our opinions!!

Juice-Terry
27-01-2015, 12:33 PM
'The easy thing would have been to walk away.' Who gives a **** if that would have been the easy thing to do? The important thing is that it would have been the RIGHT thing to do (and still is).

hhibs
27-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Indeed.

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 12:34 PM
'The easy thing would have been to walk away.' Who gives a **** if that would have been the easy thing to do? The important thing is that it would have been the RIGHT thing to do (and still is).

Did you read the interview?

Juice-Terry
27-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Did you read the interview?

Yes.

greenginger
27-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Question for tomorrow night, if I can get one in.

Mr Petrie are you considering stepping down as Club chairman in the next 12 months ?

Andy74
27-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Perhaps not.

patlowe
27-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I've not been one for having a go at Petrie and the board, and in recent months we've seen a major improvement in how the club is run and performing on the park. For this they deserve credit and I do not buy into all the nonsense that goes around about Petrie's or Farmer's intentions. However, something he says has really got to me:

"Have we made mistakes? Yes, we have. If you want to stop making mistakes, stop making decisions. We’ve got more right than we’ve got wrong."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but this, to me, is significant and concerning. If we are looking at the performance of the team and club in the last five years, this comment is outrageous IMO. A series of decisions that saw us perform abysmally for around half a decade, culminating in us being relegated from a league without a Rangers or Hearts team to speak of. To me, that indicates a hell of a lot of wrong decisions, so what were the right ones? Everyone has to make decisions but to use that as an excuse for the multitude of mistakes made over the last few years is utterly bizarre. Just as well we made all those right decisions - otherwise where would be? Petrie's attitude suggests that he misunderstands both what is "right" for our club and how a disastrous few years of "mistakes" could make him, or others, culpable.

As I say, I've never bashed Petrie and the board, but this...take some responsibility man.

BSEJVT
27-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Read's for all the world to me like a last hurrah and attempt to justify him not falling on his sword beforehand.

In the context of everything that's going on at Hibs just now, it would make perfect sense and would supposedly heal lots of divisions.

It would give BuyHIBS and HOH yet another reason to go away:thumbsup:

Judging by the amount of folk who have said they wont go back till he is gone it would put thousands on the weekly gate.

Aye right:greengrin

flash
27-01-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't hate Margaret Thatcher as much as some folk on here hate him. i find that slightly disturbing. Anyone who tells the Huns "give up all your trophies or you are toast" (i paraphrase) can't be that bad.

Baader
27-01-2015, 12:54 PM
The club very much looks to be on the long road to recovery and not before time. The constant over the past few years were bad appointments on the football side of things. Relegation from the worst top flight in living memory simply should not have been allowed.

We all hope not but we could still be a Championship club next season which makes me question the timing of a statement like this (and it is a statment in the guise of an 'interview.') Would've been better said after we are back in the top flight where we belong...

Mikey
27-01-2015, 12:58 PM
His departure would certainly help encourage some people back and it would be well timed with season tickets going on sale in March.

But you can't help feeling that those who won't come back until he's off the board will shift the goalposts and continue to stay away because of his 10% stake.

The_Horde
27-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Great interview. In Petrie we trust.

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I've not been one for having a go at Petrie and the board, and in recent months we've seen a major improvement in how the club is run and performing on the park. For this they deserve credit and I do not buy into all the nonsense that goes around about Petrie's or Farmer's intentions. However, something he says has really got to me:

"Have we made mistakes? Yes, we have. If you want to stop making mistakes, stop making decisions. We’ve got more right than we’ve got wrong."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but this, to me, is significant and concerning. If we are looking at the performance of the team and club in the last five years, this comment is outrageous IMO. A series of decisions that saw us perform abysmally for around half a decade, culminating in us being relegated from a league without a Rangers or Hearts team to speak of. To me, that indicates a hell of a lot of wrong decisions, so what were the right ones? Everyone has to make decisions but to use that as an excuse for the multitude of mistakes made over the last few years is utterly bizarre. Just as well we made all those right decisions - otherwise where would be? Petrie's attitude suggests that he misunderstands both what is "right" for our club and how a disastrous few years of "mistakes" could make him, or others, culpable.

As I say, I've never bashed Petrie and the board, but this...take some responsibility man.

Where does he say that?

jacomo
27-01-2015, 01:17 PM
His departure would certainly help encourage some people back and it would be well timed with season tickets going on sale in March.

But you can't help feeling that those who won't come back until he's off the board will shift the goalposts and continue to stay away because of his 10% stake.

Who knows? It's a bit of a red herring, I think.

The more fundamental question is - was Hibs being run in the right way under his watch? No, it wasn't, and we now know the cost of that - relegation and a legacy £5m debt. My view is that these are worth paying if Hibs has now changed a corner - it really does look like it has - but we shouldn't underestimate the price we paid for years and years of drift.

patlowe
27-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Where does he say that?

Sorry, I should have made that clear as the EN has published a few different articles from this interview. It's at the end of this one: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-we-got-the-best-deal-for-hibs-1-3671089

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Sorry, I should have made that clear as the EN has published a few different articles from this interview. It's at the end of this one: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-we-got-the-best-deal-for-hibs-1-3671089

Fair enough - I didn't see that one.

In fairness though, he does say

"We’d worked very hard during the 2013/14 season because we knew things had to change. The search for a new chief exec to come in, take over and take us on to the next generation had already started ..."

... basically appointing someone who was better at his old job.

jacomo
27-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Fair enough - I didn't see that one.

In fairness though, he does say

"We’d worked very hard during the 2013/14 season because we knew things had to change. The search for a new chief exec to come in, take over and take us on to the next generation had already started ..."

... basically appointing someone who was better at his old job.

Where does he say that?

:wink:

Lago
27-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Thought the various articles were well balanced and thought out.

jacomo
27-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Another interesting bit from that article:

“In the 23 seasons from 1991/92 to 2013/14 the club’s aggregate turnover was £131m and the club traded at an aggregate bottom line loss of £2m. We fought to get the deal we wanted. The ambition was to get the best deal in Scottish football."

So, this picture is a moderately loss-making company. Presumably this must include the sale of the car park to off set the chunky debts built up by 2003? We were something like £17-18m in debt by then, and we didn't just trade our way out of that.

Onion
27-01-2015, 01:38 PM
That's fair enough to say that these days.

So also fair to say we do not live in a "take responsibility" culture.

:top marks Exactly what stuck out for me too. It's that "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" attitude that has endeared Petrie to the Hibs supporters on our journey to the bottom !

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Another interesting bit from that article:

“In the 23 seasons from 1991/92 to 2013/14 the club’s aggregate turnover was £131m and the club traded at an aggregate bottom line loss of £2m. We fought to get the deal we wanted. The ambition was to get the best deal in Scottish football."

So, this picture is a moderately loss-making company. Presumably this must include the sale of the car park to off set the chunky debts built up by 2003? We were something like £17-18m in debt by then, and we didn't just trade our way out of that.

I would imagine that it includes everything - stadium redevelopment, East mains, car park & player sales, etc.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Still the same patronising condescending rubbish!! The man needs to go ffs!

Nevi_SOL
27-01-2015, 02:17 PM

Progress :greengrin:thumbsup:

Pete
27-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Well done for standing your ground and not resigning, therefore helping the progress of change along. It makes sense now.

However, your presence caused disharmony amongst the support which probably didn't help the team and therefore dressing room harmony.

Ying and yang, that's life and we move on with Dempster calling the shots and it's all positive from here on in.

:thumbsup:

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Well done for standing your ground and not resigning, therefore helping the progress of change along. It makes sense now.

However, your presence caused disharmony amongst the support which probably didn't help the team and therefore dressing room harmony.

Ying and yang, that's life and we move on with Dempster calling the shots and it's all positive from here on in.

What about all the fans who refuse to come back because of him? Look at our attendances the support is still very, very poor! He goes and I think slowly but surely many will come back!

Still personally think he's a clown of a man but hey ho.

Pete
27-01-2015, 02:51 PM
What about all the fans who refuse to come back because of him? Look at our attendances the support is still very, very poor! He goes and I think slowly but surely many will come back!

Still personally think he's a clown of a man but hey ho.

I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They will be back once we are promoted and near the top of the league.

:greengrin

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 02:53 PM
I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They will be back once we are promoted and near the top of the league.

:greengrin

Stop being so positive 😁😉

Joking aside I do think him staying has forced thousands to jack it. I don't blame them myself but I'd love to see ER bouncing again! Wish he'd just leave Hibs and let us move on.

jacomo
27-01-2015, 02:54 PM

All you fan boys should probably get together and send Rod a wee gift as a token of your gratitude. :wink:

jacomo
27-01-2015, 02:59 PM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leeann-dempster-was-offered-chance-to-walk-away-from-hibs-1-3671101

Is it just me, or has Mr Petrie got a bit mixed up here? LD was announced as our new Chief Exec on 29 April - a few weeks before relegation. So there is no way she could have gone back on the deal in private.

Bobby's Cinema
27-01-2015, 04:37 PM
He picks his moment carefully you've got to give him that :rotflmao:

Gerard
27-01-2015, 04:45 PM
IMO we have the chair of the Hibs BODs being open. He has in the past being accused of not being open. He just can't win. It will be an interesting AGM.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 05:29 PM

I doubt that.

Why would he want to experience the humiliation of people cheering?

If/when he does resign, he should do so without exposing himself to that.

He's entitled to some dignity.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 05:37 PM
I doubt that.

Why would he want to experience the humiliation of people cheering?

If/when he does resign, he should do so without exposing himself to that.

He's entitled to some dignity.

He's a coward!

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 05:44 PM
He's a coward!

:wtf:

Why would you label the man like that?

Leith Mo
27-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Was asked my view during the supporters directors election on "should he stay or should he go" to which I gave my own view his time to go was overdue, but would present the views of the support if the majority wanted him to stay. Something being missed on this thread seems to be the print copy of the EEN where he says: "We have a totally different mindset now. That's a bit driven by Leeann but she came into a narrative, a direction of travel, to a plan that was being talked about. " Yet again for me further evidence of undermining our CEO (who I've met and trust as not his puppet) & refusing to let go whilst trying to get credit where most of that credit is not due. The most divisive individual at the core of OUR Club when unity behind the Club going forward is what we need. The time has come to part - no disrespect to the years of work - but in the interests of OUR Club which he partly owns financially but does not represent intterms of sporting values, please do the honourable and right thing tomorrow night.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 05:54 PM

Because that's how I feel about him. He should walk away like any man with dignity would have. Sorry if this offends! I respect you might not feel the same. But I'm sick to death defending my comments about this ****ing clown.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 05:58 PM

And let me add the fact he sacked managers right before an agm to take the heat off himself says he's a coward!!!

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Because that's how I feel about him. He should walk away like any man with dignity would have. Sorry if this offends! I respect you might not feel the same. But I'm sick to death defending my comments about this ****ing clown.

Cowards run away.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Cowards run away.

I explained why he's a coward! Sacking managers right before AGM's to take the heat from himself. Not taking interviews when the fans were demanding answers after dropping down!

Again.. He's a coward of a man and a complete roaster!!!!

Bobby's Cinema
27-01-2015, 06:23 PM
I explained why he's a coward! Sacking managers right before AGM's to take the heat from himself. Not taking interviews when the fans were demanding answers after dropping down!

I would add, that IIRC his first reappearance after relegation was after we hammered the club formerly rangers 4-0, where he also weighed in with the share plan. Rod will only show his face when things are going well/If he wants something.

emerald green
27-01-2015, 06:24 PM
The problem I will always have with Rod Petrie is that he was the man in charge, and ultimately responsible, for the failed appointments of Colin Calderwood and Pat Fenlon, and then the truly disastrous appointment of Butcher & Malpas which ultimately led to the relegation of this club.

Petrie wasn't solely responsible for this club being relegated - certain so-called managers/coaches and certain players need to take a good look at themselves in that regard - but the buck has to stop somewhere, and it stops with the man in charge at the top.

I'm not interested in a witch hunt, but it may now be time for RP to hand over the reigns at ER to someone else.

I would also much rather focus on the positive things happening at Hibs these days, and see the club and its supporters moving forward as one.

Cameron1875
27-01-2015, 06:26 PM
An embarrassment. Should be totally ashamed to show his face at Easter Road.

Tyler Durden
27-01-2015, 06:27 PM
These interviews are more of the usual from Petrie in my view. Self aggrandising and patronising as ever.

Firstly he gives credit to Dempster but with the qualification that he questions how much, if any of this change would be delivered if he wasn't here. He talks about plans for this change of direction, which is "a bit of Leanne" - really Rod? Clearly the change of direction being discussed behind the scenes didn't extend to the football department as the appointment of Butcher is a million miles from what Hibs are about, our football identity.

The biggest insult IMO is the nonsense about how you react in adversity etc. "We've got more right than we've got wrong". He still believes this!

That might be plausible if relegation came out of the blue but the man should have been accountable for the Calderwood fiasco, never mind the other questionable appointments. His backing of a lame duck eventually cost us roughly £500k. His other appointments have cost us a fortune whilst it's been 4/5 years since we last had a playing asset to sell. His record as leader of this club for the past 6/7 years has been abysmal.

FFS leave Petrie. Go now and you will get some credit for passing on the reins to Dempster. Spare us any more of these pathetic interviews.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 06:28 PM

He sacked those managers when they needed sacked. I can't remember anyone disagreeing with the dismissals at the time.

If his plan was to take the heat off himself, it clearly didn't work.

Petrie should be criticised for many things, but labeling him as a coward is a step too far for me.

He's been resolute in the face of massive anger and criticism. When many others were too scared to speak up, he stood up against Rangers and Hearts, and he fought off attempts by other clubs to take our manager (unfortunately).

That's nor the behaviour of a coward.

You're entitled to your view, of course.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 06:28 PM
I would add, that IIRC his first reappearance after relegation was after we hammered the club formerly rangers 4-0, where he also weighed in with the share plan. Rod will only show his face when things are going well/If he wants something.

Says it all.

Arch Stanton
27-01-2015, 06:30 PM
The people still giving RP dog's abuse should take a look in the mirror.

RP couldn't pick managers (and yes, that was a pretty disastrous failing) but absolutely no one posting on here can make any claim that they would have done any better (even in a single one of those selections).

Also, the fantastic club structure we have in place just now IS down to him - something that he can do well and something that he DID.

I have a feeling that the whingers will need to eke as much bellyaching out of this as they can because they are going to struggle to find other scapegoats from hereon in.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 06:34 PM
because they are going to struggle to find other scapegoats from hereon in.

I agree with most of your post, but I think you went a bit mental right at the end of it...

There's never a shortage of people to blame.

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 06:34 PM
He sacked those managers when they needed sacked. I can't remember anyone disagreeing with the dismissals at the time.

If his plan was to take the heat off himself, it clearly didn't work.

Petrie should be criticised for many things, but labeling him as a coward is a step too far for me.

He's been resolute in the face of massive anger and criticism, when many others were too scared to speak up, he's stood up against Rangers and Hearts, and he fought off attempts by other clubs to take our manager (unfortunately).

You're entitled to your view, of course.

"A step to far?" You have to be kidding. A step to far was him making lifelong fans turn their back on the club and his patronising of us supporters.
He sacked them long after they should have been sacked HR the fact he done it right before the AGM makes him a coward. As I say you have your opinion of him I have mine! Attendances says I'm not the only one who's sick of him. He's a waste of space and a black cloud that won't go away. The day he leaves Hibs will be a very happy day for me! Might even let off fireworks outside ER as he leaves 👋

R'Albin
27-01-2015, 06:37 PM

RP couldn't pick managers (and yes, that was a pretty disastrous failing) but absolutely no one posting on here can make any claim that they would have done any better (even in a single one of those selections).

This logic baffles me. Am I not allowed to criticise our players as I couldn't play any better than them?

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 06:39 PM

Also, the fantastic club structure we have in place just now IS down to him - something that he can do well and something that he DID.

I have a feeling that the whingers will need to eke as much bellyaching out of this as they can because they are going to struggle to find other scapegoats from hereon in.

How do you know no one could have picked better? If in his position you yourself may even have done some scouting and brought in better.

Honest to god just because the playing side is doing much better doesn't mean we should forget who got us down here to start with. He was very much part of this as TB and the idiots before him. I laugh at this "next scapegoat" pish!

Only issue I have is him. LD has done very well along with the management and coaches. He's the issue many won't cone back or I'm I imagining that??

I've said many times he done well doing what he did building ground and training centre but let us down badly after.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 06:42 PM
"A step to far?" You have to be kidding. A step to far was him making lifelong fans turn their back on the club and his patronising of us supporters.
He sacked them long after they should have been sacked HR the fact he done it right before the AGM makes him a coward. As I say you have your opinion of him I have mine! Attendances says I'm not the only one who's sick of him. He's a waste of space and a black cloud that won't go away. The day he leaves Hibs will be a very happy day for me! Might even let off fireworks outside ER as he leaves 👋

I'm not arguing for him to stay. It's gone too far now.

He doesn't deserve all the abuse and he doesn't deserve to be labeled a coward when he's clearly done some extremely brave things.

Remember too, it's the board who appoints and sacks managers.

Rod takes the flak for every decision though.

We're not going to agree so let's save ourselves the bother.

You continue to nurse your wrath and I'll continue to be the voice of reason (as per fricking usual) :greengrin

Tyler Durden
27-01-2015, 06:44 PM

It's totally irrelevant whether fans could do a better job. He should be measured against the objectives of his role - something he regularly failed to achieve.

Your logic seems to be we shouldn't criticise his for appointing terrible managers (the most crucial role at a football club) but we should give him credit for appointing Dempster. The person who has actually driven the positive changes in structure.

Someone who is accountable for their actions would have left years ago - see Lex Gold for example.

If Petrie did announce his departure now, most of his detractors, including myself would recognise the good work he's done in handing things over to Dempster. Why linger on at Hibs expense when he is clearly a divisive figure? What good is it doing?

Thecat23
27-01-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm not arguing for him to stay. It's gone too far now.

He doesn't deserve all the abuse and he doesn't deserve to be labeled a coward when he's clearly done some extremely brave things.

Remember too, it's the board who appoints and sacks managers.

Rod takes the flak for every decision though.

We're not going to agree so let's save ourselves the bother.

You continue to nurse your wrath and I'll continue to be the voice of reason (as per fricking usual) :greengrin

Don't be pulling the older wiser card out 😁

I used to back him until of all the failings in managers and the way he ran this club. I fully understand others were involved but he's the front man HR. He took the credit when things were going good during the rebuilding and rightly so. But he also deserves the stick for losing thousands of pounds by turning fans away!

Anyway we could go on and on but I've got a movie to watch 😁 you said he's great so if it's not im coming back and giving you it tight not Petrie. 😉

grunt
27-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Why linger on at Hibs expense when he is clearly a divisive figure? What good is it doing?

I seem to remember he's not drawing a salary?

Tyler Durden
27-01-2015, 06:54 PM
I seem to remember he's not drawing a salary?

You are correct. I meant expense in the sense that his involvement is an obstacle to the club and support moving forward together.

If he was desperate to stay and oversee the program of change, then as someone said earlier, it's job done surely.

Arch Stanton
27-01-2015, 07:02 PM
It's totally irrelevant whether fans could do a better job. He should be measured against the objectives of his role - something he regularly failed to achieve.

Your logic seems to be we shouldn't criticise his for appointing terrible managers (the most crucial role at a football club) but we should give him credit for appointing Dempster. The person who has actually driven the positive changes in structure.

Someone who is accountable for their actions would have left years ago - see Lex Gold for example.

If Petrie did announce his departure now, most of his detractors, including myself would recognise the good work he's done in handing things over to Dempster. Why linger on at Hibs expense when he is clearly a divisive figure? What good is it doing?

I can see from your post that some words of my post did filter though - not that many to be truthful.

Yes criticise him for his managerial appoiuntments but why is it so yucky for you to offer him praise for what he did well? No problem for you to praise LD for her contribution I see.

I know that some on here think a good solution would be for the club owners to just upsticks - I just don't subscribe to simplistic nonsense.

greenginger
27-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Petrie should have stepped down as Club Chairman on the Monday morning after relegation.

Sure he was best placed to continue the work negotiating with the bank and overseeing the share issue, but this could all have been done from the position of club director with a new chairman in place.

The position of Club Chairman still has a symbolism of being fully in charge of things, to a lot of football fans anyway, and Petrie's decision not to step down has caused an awful lot of unnecessary anger and strife this season, and could still reverse the progress we seem to be making.

Tyler Durden
27-01-2015, 07:11 PM
I can see from your post that some words of my post did filter though - not that many to be truthful.

Yes criticise him for his managerial appoiuntments but why is it so yucky for you to offer him praise for what he did well? No problem for you to praise LD for her contribution I see.

I know that some on here think a good solution would be for the club owners to just upsticks - I just don't subscribe to simplistic nonsense.

I've no problem giving him credit for his good work. Very simply in the past 6 years there has been very little to mention - he's miles in the red. Should have moved on after building the East stand and he would have been very highly regarded.

I can only assume your last sentence is not aimed at me but are you keen for Petrie to stay?

Kato
27-01-2015, 08:02 PM
IMO we have the chair of the Hibs BODs being open. He has in the past being accused of not being open. He just can't win. It will be an interesting AGM.

That's shutting the thingmy door after the watsit has done a doodaa.

Picks the wrong time to make himself invisible, every time.

Kato
27-01-2015, 08:06 PM
He sacked those managers when they needed sacked.

Calderfud needed sacked long before it eventually happened.

When many others were too scared to speak up, he stood up against Rangers and Hearts,

Woop-dee-blimey-doo.

Where did that get us? Pity he didn't stand up to them where it counts.

Perhaps not, but all the things you mention have money at their root - nothing to do with the product on the park which under him was the worst ever from Hibs - ever.

Kato
27-01-2015, 08:12 PM

I don't think you quite get the meaning of "doing your job" - I'm sure there are skills on here that RP wouldn't have a clue about, he put himself out there to do the job of bringing Hibs forward and failed at every turn.

....and he should vacated his post when the last brick went in. Instead he hung around which led to a half empty ground, brain numbingly poor football and a training centre which might as well have not existed given who he put in charge of it.

Not whinging - it's the truth. A proper Hibs Chairman would have realised his shortcomings and walked years ago.

At the moment he really should just say "no comment" whenever in front of the press.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Should have left the building years ago, he's still someone who VERY FEW trust. The place still stinks while he's there, i hope he hands his resignation in at the AGM.

Kato
27-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Should have left the building years ago, he's still someone who VERY FEW trust. The place still stinks while he's there, i hope he hands his resignation in at the AGM.

We live in hope.

Scottie
27-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Will never forget or forgive him laughing and smiling at the final whistle of the play off defeat against Hamilton.

That for me summed up the mans true feelings for our wonderful club.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Calderfud needed sacked long before it eventually happened.

Woop-dee-blimey-doo.

Where did that get us? Pity he didn't stand up to them where it counts.

Perhaps not, but all the things you mention have money at their root - nothing to do with the product on the park which under him was the worst ever from Hibs - ever.

Did you follow the thread of TC and my conversation?

I was defending RP from being called a coward not his other failings.

You completely missed the point.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Will never forget or forgive him laughing and smiling at the final whistle of the play off defeat against Hamilton.

That for me summed up the mans true feelings for our wonderful club.

I thought he looked sheepish and was self consciously grinning with embarrassment.

The idea that someone who has put over 2 decades of his life into a football club wouldn't care when it got relegated is frankly, ridiculous.

Deansy
27-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Dearly hope he does stand down, great job on the infrastructure side of things but it's cost X-amount of support and the team's standing in the game. He goes and hopefully we get back to being known for footballing accomplishments rather than business\financial ones !!

Kato
27-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Did you follow the thread of TC and my conversation?

I was defending RP from being called a coward not his other failings.

You completely missed the point.

Sorry, things get a bit blurry when the invisible man stalks around.

Scottie
27-01-2015, 10:46 PM
I thought he looked sheepish and was self consciously grinning with embarrassment.

The idea that someone who has put over 2 decades of his life into a football club wouldn't care when it got relegated is frankly, ridiculous.
So what your saying is that when you get embarrassed by a failure you self consciously grin and smirk :confused:

I think your statement is quite frankly ridiculous :wink:

Ronniekirk
27-01-2015, 10:55 PM

Unlike McCoist and Mcdowal looks like Rod doesn't do Walking Away ,so we could be stuck with him for a while yet Leeann seems to indicate that she is comfortable with him being around so don't see him falling on his sword at A G M .

Peevemor
27-01-2015, 11:19 PM

It was definitely an "oh fuuuuuuuuuu**" look. Interesting to read that he was laughing too - I wonder if that'll become a .net fact.

Corstorphine Hibby
28-01-2015, 08:26 AM

Depends on what you mean by ' reappearance '. I was behind the goals before the Hearts match in October and he was mingling with the fans in the bar area then, which was long before the the rangers game. I remember thinking at the time it was quite a brave thing to do considering the hysterical views of some.

marinello59
28-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Depends on what you mean by ' reappearance '. I was behind the goals before the Hearts match in October and he was mingling with the fans in the bar area then, which was long before the the rangers game. I remember thinking at the time it was quite a brave thing to do considering the hysterical views of some.

He was in BTG for the first home match of the season and I don't think he has missed a walkabout in there since.

jacomo
28-01-2015, 09:59 AM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leeann-dempster-was-offered-chance-to-walk-away-from-hibs-1-3671101

Is it just me, or has Mr Petrie got a bit mixed up here? LD was announced as our new Chief Exec on 29 April - a few weeks before relegation. So there is no way she could have gone back on the deal in private.

Anyone got a response to the above? Genuinely confused me - is Petrie talking pish or have I missed something??

FranckSuzy
28-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Anyone got a response to the above? Genuinely confused me - is Petrie talking pish or have I missed something??

It says here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27201794) that LD's official start date was 1/6/14, so perhaps that explains it?

stantonhibby
28-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Did she not officially take up the position on 1st June or thereabouts?

Hibbyradge
28-01-2015, 10:06 AM
So what your saying is that when you get embarrassed by a failure you self consciously grin and smirk :confused:

I think your statement is quite frankly ridiculous :wink:

Oh well, our life experiences must be very different.

I can clearly remember squirming and smiling stupidly at times when I've been embarrassed and I've definitely seen it happen to loads of other people.

I've never seen someone who was involved in saving a company or a business, and then working for it, and owning it, for over 20 years, being pleased or even not caring when it was seriously harmed.

Onion
28-01-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't think you quite get the meaning of "doing your job" - I'm sure there are skills on here that RP wouldn't have a clue about, he put himself out there to do the job of bringing Hibs forward and failed at every turn.

....and he should vacated his post when the last brick went in. Instead he hung around which led to a half empty ground, brain numbingly poor football and a training centre which might as well have not existed given who he put in charge of it.

Not whinging - it's the truth. A proper Hibs Chairman would have realised his shortcomings and walked years ago.

At the moment he really should just say "no comment" whenever in front of the press.

:top marks It was patently obvious that Petrie was not the right man to take the club forward once the infrastructure was complete. He's spent the intervening years simply proving that. STF is an astute business man, but his leaving Petrie in that position was a terrible decision.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I've never seen someone who was involved in saving a company or a business, and then working for it, and owning it, for over 20 years, being pleased or even not caring when it was seriously harmed.

Totally agree. It's a ludicrous accusation that's levelled against RP, often done by folk that probably haven't been alive as long as he's been involved at Hibs but somehow he's not a 'football person'.

jacomo
28-01-2015, 11:17 AM
It says here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27201794) that LD's official start date was 1/6/14, so perhaps that explains it?

What the article seems to be saying is that, after relegation, Petrie offered LD the chance to walk away from Hibs if she wanted, and keep the when thing quiet. But her appointment was announced in April, before we were relegated, so this makes no sense. Yes she could have 'walked away', but it would have been a very public story.

Bad Martini
28-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Said it before, will say again now given that's the point of a forum:

He made the wrong decisions at the wrong time
He made (some) correct decisions at the wrong time
He made some correct decisions at the correct time

In MY opinion...training ground or team on pitch. Right decision at wrong time. New stand (dont care about planning - so ****ing what if we might never get it - we would have got permission for some form of stand)...wrong decision at wrong time - WHEN ER is full regularly, then worry about a huge increase in capacity.

Managerial appointments come and went and the last few decisions he made (before taking himself OUT the loop and passing the hire/fire buck elsewhere) - wrong decisions, wrong time.

We all have opinions on him. In terms of him personally, I only met him twice. I reserve my right to form a judgement on him by his words/actions to me and others in my company (hospitality) ... wasnt impressed then either.

I'm sure he's done right tho...he managed to shaft the huns for some cash in transfer fees for example and he clearly dislikes them and their gorgie cousins. For that, fair dues.

But thats it :greengrin

And I qualify ALL the above by adding, in the interests of context:

I also see no value in the current factions/"fan groups" putting unnecessary pressure on the club and/or board
I dont have the same issues with STF as I do with Petrie
I reckon the new ownership model and debt reduction are ****ing great ideas and wholeheartedly welcome both...(genuinely)
...and finally, if and when Petrie goes, we WILL see more people happy than unhappy. And thats the best I can say on the man.

NB defending yourself and talking yourself up in public is rarely done by those who know they are right and who aren't propigating a self-promoting agenda. They KNOW they are right and dont need the acceptance nor give a **** what others think. Just sayin :thumbsup:

Anyways, Dempster doing a good job now. So its Stubbs. Petrie is an irrelevance.

ENDOF :aok:

lyonhibs
28-01-2015, 11:56 AM

"Grinning with embarrassment"??? :confused: I've done some pretty embarrassing things in my time, and my initial reaction (or indeed secondary reaction) has never been to grin.

I wasn't there that day, but when one is genuinely embarassed, gutted and distraught as he ought to have been, you do not "grin", never mind when looking out the window at infuriated fans who have been let down - again - by the club.

That was then and this is now, but if so much as a smirk or vague upturning of the lips occured on Petrie's coupon in the immediate aftermath of getting relegated, then it's exceedingly poor behaviour from him.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2015, 12:09 PM
"Grinning with embarrassment"??? :confused: I've done some pretty embarrassing things in my time, and my initial reaction (or indeed secondary reaction) has never been to grin.

I wasn't there that day, but when one is genuinely embarassed, gutted and distraught as he ought to have been, you do not "grin", never mind when looking out the window at infuriated fans who have been let down - again - by the club.

That was then and this is now, but if so much as a smirk or vague upturning of the lips occured on Petrie's coupon in the immediate aftermath of getting relegated, then it's exceedingly poor behaviour from him.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bGgY8W5rRc4C&pg=PA148&lpg=PA146&ots=kNs79q9UAT&focus=viewport&dq=why+do+people+smile+and+look+sheepish+when+they %27re+embarrassed&output=html_text

FranckSuzy
28-01-2015, 01:10 PM
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bGgY8W5rRc4C&pg=PA148&lpg=PA146&ots=kNs79q9UAT&focus=viewport&dq=why+do+people+smile+and+look+sheepish+when+they %27re+embarrassed&output=html_text

:embarrass :tee hee:

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Petrie is saying that .5 mill can be found each year from 'normal operations' to pay of the 5 mill debt to the bank over 10 years.

Then the club asks the fans for 2.5 mill.

At the very least the timing is atrocious.

At the very least.

Andy74
28-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Petrie is saying that .5 mill can be found each year from 'normal operations' to pay of the 5 mill debt to the bank over 10 years.

At the very least.

It's not really.

You miss the part where the debt has been halved and interest not being paid as well as confirmation that the money raised doesnt go to existing holders, which it might have done.

Paul Kane's chat on the fans having to pay £5m ignoring the stadium build, is embarrassing.

We have real thickos here being given a disproportionate voice.

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2015, 01:36 PM

At the very least.

We have been finding that amount of money from "normal operations" for many years, both good and bad.

Diclonius
28-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Petrie should have walked immediately after he sacked Calderwood - one failed manager too far. Regardless of our position now, the fact that Petrie is still here is mind boggling. It's in his own interest and no one else's.