PDA

View Full Version : Football Casuals (Books)

Scouse Hibee
26-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Decided to read a couple of these books so recently read "These Colours Don't Run", "Hibs Boy" and I'm just about to start "The Boys from the Mersey".
I know it's difficult to tell how much of what is written is factual as opposed to embellished to make them a better read but I found the two Hibs ones quite an interesting read (they made a couple of train journeys pass quickly). Anyone who has read either of the Hibs ones, what was your opinion of the accounts given?

Danderhall Hibs
26-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Decided to read a couple of these books so recently read "These Colours Don't Run", "Hibs Boy" and I'm just about to start "The Boys from the Mersey".
I know it's difficult to tell how much of what is written is factual as opposed to embellished to make them a better read but I found the two Hibs ones quite an interesting read (they made a couple of train journeys pass quickly). Anyone who has read either of the Hibs ones, what was your opinion of the accounts given?

I thought they were a wee bit cringey - a lot of "there was 2 of us and 20 of them but we wouldn't run. We ran at them and battered them, even though we were outnumbered 10 to 1."

Scouse Hibee
26-01-2015, 08:30 PM
I thought they were a wee bit cringey - a lot of "there was 2 of us and 20 of them but we wouldn't run. We ran at them and battered them, even though we were outnumbered 10 to 1."

:agree: some sounded like the fight scenes in a Van Damme or Steven Segal film.

Mikey09
26-01-2015, 09:50 PM

I got Hibs Boy a couple of years ago but never read it. Is it any good?? It's sitting on the book shelf....

BroxburnHibee
26-01-2015, 09:51 PM
I read these colours don't run. I only found them interesting because I never missed a game at that time so it was fun trying to work out where I was when all that nonsense was going on :greengrin

hibsbollah
26-01-2015, 10:06 PM

:agree:
There was loads of that. The slagging he gave Irvine Welsh was totally unnecessary as well.

Sergey
26-01-2015, 10:13 PM
:agree:
There was loads of that. The slagging he gave Irvine Welsh was totally unnecessary as well.

Who are you referring to?

Irvine wrote the foreword to one book and I worked with the publishers on both books mentioned in the OP.

I don't recall any derogatory comments aimed IW's way.

Mixu62
26-01-2015, 10:49 PM

Recently read one about Tranmere casuals called Away Days, set in late 70's/early 80's. Entertaining read but hardly booker prize material. Thought being a Scouser you may be interested, as there are a few references to what Liverpool's mob were up to at the time. (i.e. nicking sports-wear from stores all over Europe!! :na na::greengrin)

Haymaker
27-01-2015, 03:06 AM

Irvine wrote the foreword to one book and I worked with the publishers on both books mentioned in the OP.

IIRC in these colours a chapter is about the "irritating mr welsh".

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2015, 06:37 AM
I got Hibs Boy a couple of years ago but never read it. Is it any good?? It's sitting on the book shelf....

I found it an interesting read, took a lot of it with a pinch of salt but it kept my interest.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Recently read one about Tranmere casuals called Away Days, set in late 70's/early 80's. Entertaining read but hardly booker prize material. Thought being a Scouser you may be interested, as there are a few references to what Liverpool's mob were up to at the time. (i.e. nicking sports-wear from stores all over Europe!! :na na::greengrin)

Yes that's why I've just got the Mersey Boys, can't believe they nicked stuff though.........surely not!

lord bunberry
27-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I've read quite a few of them, for some reason my in laws kept buying me them for Christmas(I've no idea why) after a while they start to get a bit predictable. I enjoyed the hibs ones as I was at a load of the games they write about. The Aberdeen one was good as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-01-2015, 11:18 AM
I thought the Aberdeen one was quite good too. The boy wasnae scared to mention some of the losses they were involved in.

lord bunberry
27-01-2015, 11:58 AM
I thought the Aberdeen one was quite good too. The boy wasnae scared to mention some of the losses they were involved in.

That's right and it had a good bit at the end were they met up with other casuals from Motherwell years later.

Keith_M
01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
A lot of the stuff in 'Hibs Boy' sounded suspiciously like the BBC documentary on West Ham hooligans from about 1985. I couldn't help thinking he'd watched it a bit too much and it had influenced what he wrote.

FWIW, AB is a mate of Irvine Welsh and often sits with him at games. The other book, 'these colours don't run', makes it clear the Welsh was at no time in the CCS (a fairly common misconception, apparently).

I can only comment on the accuracy of the parts from the 80s but it's pretty much how I rememmber most of it (having been a part-timer for the first few years)

Hibrandenburg
01-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Really don't see why I'd want to read about a bunch of numbnuts who can't think of anything better to do to brighten up their lives than battering people. Can't for the life of me think how it could possibly be interesting.

patch1875
01-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Really don't see why I'd want to read about a bunch of numbnuts who can't think of anything better to do to brighten up their lives than battering people. Can't for the life of me think how it could possibly be interesting.

Sure ive read Hibs Boy(is he from/stayed Dunfermline?) repetitive fantasy drivel rings a bell.

Scouse Hibee
02-02-2015, 09:36 AM

Each to their own mate, I like to read fiction. Pretty much the same as I like watching a fight scene in a film that I know is not humanly possible.

Carheenlea
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
The most interesting one I have read is not by a hooligan, but an American journalist called Bill Buford, who became interested in hooliganism and studied hooliganism from close quarters. Among the Thugs it`s called, and a quick look on Amazon - you can get it for 4 quid on kindle or 1pence used paperback.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Among-Thugs-Bill-Buford/dp/0099416344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422911801&sr=8-1&keywords=among+the+thugs

hibsbollah
04-02-2015, 06:20 PM

There's a whole chapter dedicated to slagging off Welsh in These Colours dont run.

Greentinted
04-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Read a good few of these over the years and they're all pretty much of a muchness - that is to say, quite, erm rubbish.
However if you ever come across the spectacularly crap yam effort 'Riot Gear' it's worth keeping to sell on. For some reason it can go for silly money (for what it is).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0953592006/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=8-1&qid=1423085746

SON OF PADDY
13-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Read Hibs Boy while on holiday in Turkey
last summer, have to say got some very
funny looks from people around the pool.

when I was finished reading it,
I put it on the book rack "top row"
it took about 10 minutes before someone
took it.
Ps being of a certain age !!
It does bring back some funny memories.

Killiehibbie
15-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I know it's difficult to tell how much of what is written is factual as opposed to embellished to make them a better read but I found the two Hibs ones quite an interesting read (they made a couple of train journeys pass quickly). Anyone who has read either of the Hibs ones, what was your opinion of the accounts given?I would say the accounts given are quite accurate.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I would say the accounts given are quite accurate.

Is this an opinion born out of experience or being part of it?

Killiehibbie
15-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Is this an opinion born out of experience or being part of it?
I was just an innocent bystander, honest.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 12:41 PM
I was just an innocent bystander, honest.

No comment :-)