PDA

View Full Version : Matty Done

kaimendhibs
26-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Is the Rochdale player the same guy we had on loan?

Jonnyboy
26-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Is the Rochdale player the same guy we had on loan?

Yes

kaimendhibs
26-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Cheers

J-C
26-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Playing as a striker and scored 16 so far this season

Billy Whizz
26-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Yes

Thank god there's not 2 of them😄

Jonnyboy
26-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Thank god there's not 2 of them

:greengrin:aok:

kaimendhibs
26-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Thank god there's not 2 of them😄

😂😂

LancashireHibby
26-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Another player to flourish elsewhere.

Not really sure what I'm getting at, but I've seen him a couple of times for Rochdale and he looks a completely different player.

tamig
26-01-2015, 07:21 PM

Not really sure what I'm getting at, but I've seen him a couple of times for Rochdale and he looks a completely different player.
Did he not join us as a winger? Maybe he's found his best position in the middle. A decent return this season.

J-C
26-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Don't think it was anything to do with most of these players, the club was rotten to the core and needed what's happened to us to get it sorted unfortunately.

darwenhibby
26-01-2015, 07:23 PM

You'll see a lot more of him next season if u keep watching Bolton 😝

Andy74
26-01-2015, 07:41 PM

It's not so much that they play any better elsewhere it's more that we go way OTT on how they played here.

Stax
26-01-2015, 07:42 PM
He should have scored. Best chance of the game for Rochdale

LancashireHibby
26-01-2015, 07:54 PM
You'll see a lot more of him next season if u keep watching Bolton 😝
You're right, 'Dale are a cracking bet for the play offs....

HH81
26-01-2015, 08:06 PM
One thing is for sure, Rochdale is an awful place.

Done has improved.

bingo70
26-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Maybe it's just a crap standard he's playing at?

If it was reversed you can guarantee the Rochdale fans would be laughing at how bad Scottish football is.

Big_Franck
26-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Maybe it's just a crap standard he's playing at?

If it was reversed you can guarantee the Rochdale fans would be laughing at how bad Scottish football is.

For me it's this. Same goes for James Collins and to a lesser extent Eoin Doyle.

That doesn't mean I think the league we are currently in is of a better standard, as the scottish championship is full of poor teams. But League One and League Two in England is minging as well. On the odd occasion I watch english championship football it's not that great either. It's played in front of large crowds in decent stadiums but the football's archaic at times.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-01-2015, 08:48 PM
He was signed as a winger and therefore played out of position. Hopefully, those days are gone.

Stevie Reid
26-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Done played seven games for us, scored one goal and didn't make very much of an impression after that, struggling to impose himself in games. He arrived at a pretty bad time, looked like a player bereft of confidence, and came into a Hibs team that was going through a rocky run of form (Scottish Cup aside).

He may well have improved, it's hard to say, but he's certainly having a good season and I wish him well. Always amusing on here when posters think that players enter a state of stasis after they leave Hibs, and that it's impossible for them to either improve, develop, or simply thrive in an environment that is more suited to them, for whatever reason.

Many posters on here are happy to make definitive statements about players and managers always being crap, where in reality, most people who have had a career in the game will have spells of success and failure.

Stevie Reid
26-01-2015, 08:55 PM
For me it's this. Same goes for James Collins and to a lesser extent Eoin Doyle.

That doesn't mean I think the league we are currently in is of a better standard, as the scottish championship is full of poor teams. But League One and League Two in England is minging as well. On the odd occasion I watch english championship football it's not that great either. It's played in front of large crowds in decent stadiums but the football's archaic at times.

Doyle is 26 and only playing his fourth full season as a centre forward, and all the signs are that he is improving continuously.

Bradford and Sheffield United's recent cup runs have shown that League One is a good standard.

Big_Franck
26-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Doyle is 26 and only playing his fourth full season as a centre forward, and all the signs are that he is improving continuously.

Bradford and Sheffield United's recent cup runs have shown that League One is a good standard.

Bradford's side contained Ben Williams and Felipe Morais as well as Rory McArdle who was poor at Aberdeen. Any side that Morais can get a game for can't be great IMO.

Sheffield United signed two young boys from Livi that went pretty much straight in to their side. Also, Jamie Murphy is probably their best player from what i've seen, so again not sure they're that good a side.

Again, i'm not trying to say that the premiership or championship in Scotland is any better, as it's not. I just think some people see the big stadiums and the big crowds in the leagues in england and presume the football must be better as a result. I don't think it is as they pay absolute donkeys over inflated wages.

Anyway, good luck to Matt Done, Eoin Doyle and James Collins. I have no reason to believe they gave anything less than 100% when playing for us so I wish them all the best.

Jonnyboy
26-01-2015, 09:17 PM
One thing is for sure, Rochdale is an awful place.

Done has improved.

I've watched a game at Spotland. Great wee ground - very 'retro' :greengrin

Andy74
26-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Done played seven games for us, scored one goal and didn't make very much of an impression after that, struggling to impose himself in games. He arrived at a pretty bad time, looked like a player bereft of confidence, and came into a Hibs team that was going through a rocky run of form (Scottish Cup aside).

He may well have improved, it's hard to say, but he's certainly having a good season and I wish him well. Always amusing on here when posters think that players enter a state of stasis after they leave Hibs, and that it's impossible for them to either improve, develop, or simply thrive in an environment that is more suited to them, for whatever reason.

Many posters on here are happy to make definitive statements about players and managers always being crap, where in reality, most people who have had a career in the game will have spells of success and failure.

Good job Scott Allan didnt leave Hibs after his first seven games. He'd have gone down as one of our worst ever signings.

Stevie Reid
26-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Bradford's side contained Ben Williams and Felipe Morais as well as Rory McArdle who was poor at Aberdeen. Any side that Morais can get a game for can't be great IMO.

Sheffield United signed two young boys from Livi that went pretty much straight in to their side. Also, Jamie Murphy is probably their best player from what i've seen, so again not sure they're that good a side.

Again, i'm not trying to say that the premiership or championship in Scotland is any better, as it's not. I just think some people see the big stadiums and the big crowds in the leagues in england and presume the football must be better as a result. I don't think it is as they pay absolute donkeys over inflated wages.

Anyway, good luck to Matt Done, Eoin Doyle and James Collins. I have no reason to believe they gave anything less than 100% when playing for us so I wish them all the best.

The big stadia and crowds done really mean much to me tbh, I judge the teams on how I see them perform. Bradford were excellent at Stamford Bridge, playing some really good football and scoring some very good goals.

The fact that two Livingston players went into the Sheffield United team surely just shows that they are good players. And as for Morais, McArdle etc - players not doing well for one team does not preclude them from improving and/or doing well elsewhere. Some players fit in well in certain teams, and under some managers, not so much elsewhere. There are a huge number of variables in football that can make it brilliant and unpredictable.

Stax
26-01-2015, 09:29 PM

I agree with both of your posts but I'd go further, some of the gash served up from the EPL and presented as "the greatest league in the world" week in week out does my head in. Clashes between the bottom clubs can be brutal especially as the season goes on

Fergos
26-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I agree with both of your posts but I'd go further, some of the gash served up from the EPL and presented as "the greatest league in the world" week in week out does my head in. Clashes between the bottom clubs can be brutal especially as the season goes on

English fans and their media would have you believe it's the "best league in the world"......

Nice avatar soul brother!

GGTTH

HH81
27-01-2015, 07:53 AM
I've watched a game at Spotland. Great wee ground - very 'retro' :greengrin

You should have seen it 15 years ago before new stands. Awful place to watch sport.

Did you venture into the centre?

patlowe
27-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Accuse me of delusions of grandeur but I feel that at clubs like Hibs (and Hearts and Aberdeen as well of course), we exist in a weird bubble where the pressure of performing is extremely high compared to a Rochdale or even a St Johnstone say, and the intensity and expectancy here appears to take some players by surprise. Look at the way outsiders tend to come in to Hibs and make comments suggesting the media is out to get us - they are surprised by the scrutiny and feel the pressure.

Expectations aren't necessarily proportionate to the level of football so I can see how a player would struggle to cope at Hibs but might flourish in the English lower leagues (big/small fish and ponds etc). A lot of these guys come up here young (Donaldson, Collins etc) and it must be a bit of a culture shock going from teams that scrap around in those huge, often meaningless leagues down south, to a club where the fans generally expect you to play great football, qualify for Europe, play in four extremely intense Edinburgh derbies each season, oh and also win that Scottish Cup for once!

We should mention that Allan and Gray, to name two, have so far done really well up here after struggling down South. Edit - but I guess they are Scottish and have a better understanding of the context up here.

jacomo
27-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Accuse me of delusions of grandeur but I feel that at clubs like Hibs (and Hearts and Aberdeen as well of course), we exist in a weird bubble where the pressure of performing is extremely high compared to a Rochdale or even a St Johnstone say, and the intensity and expectancy here appears to take some players by surprise. Look at the way outsiders tend to come in to Hibs and make comments suggesting the media is out to get us - they are surprised by the scrutiny and feel the pressure.

Expectations aren't necessarily proportionate to the level of football so I can see how a player would struggle to cope at Hibs but might flourish in the English lower leagues (big/small fish and ponds etc). A lot of these guys come up here young (Donaldson, Collins etc) and it must be a bit of a culture shock going from teams that scrap around in those huge, often meaningless leagues down south, to a club where the fans generally expect you to play great football, qualify for Europe, play in four extremely intense Edinburgh derbies each season, oh and also win that Scottish Cup for once!

We should mention that Allan and Gray, to name two, have so far done really well up here after struggling down South. Edit - but I guess they are Scottish and have a better understanding of the context up here.

I think this is very true.

Also true to say that players can develop, go through good and bad patches of form etc... but no doubt that the culture at Hibs was far from ideal for a good few seasons. Thankfully, those days now seem like they are in the past.

Everton supporters have a reputation for being a fairly demanding / unforgiving crowd, playing for Celtc brings its own pressures, so our Head Coach will know all about performing under the spotlight. He seems to be very good at creating the right environment for our players to perform.

J-C
27-01-2015, 09:45 AM
I think this is very true.

Also true to say that players can develop, go through good and bad patches of form etc... but no doubt that the culture at Hibs was far from ideal for a good few seasons. Thankfully, those days now seem like they are in the past.

Everton supporters have a reputation for being a fairly demanding / unforgiving crowd, playing for Celtc brings its own pressures, so our Head Coach will know all about performing under the spotlight. He seems to be very good at creating the right environment for our players to perform.

I think that's why he's looking for players with a certain type of mentality as has been reported.

Smartie
27-01-2015, 09:53 AM

Good point.

I also think that some of the loan signings we have had have failed to appreciate playing for Hibs and that there are high expectations. They're punted out from a (sometimes) bigger club on loan and at best "go through the motions" and at worst don't give f*** (see Matt Doherty). Not always the case and some of our loan signings have really gone the extra mile but some have seemed to be in a bit of a comfort zone, knowing that they won't be around for long to face up to the consequences of what goes on.

I think the players that go on and surprise us by doing well when they leave normally do so because of an improvement in attitude. They maybe get a wake-up call or sudden appreciation of the opportunity they've been given and knuckle down and work that bit harder.

I do think we need to use the loan market, but to use it sparingly and to ensure the right "characters" come in in order to fit in.

Hibby Bairn
27-01-2015, 11:41 AM

I have actually been pleasantly surprised at the relative quality of player, teams and style of football played in this league.

Jonnyboy
27-01-2015, 09:36 PM
You should have seen it 15 years ago before new stands. Awful place to watch sport.

Did you venture into the centre?

I'm daft bit I'm no that daft :greengrin