PDA

View Full Version : The Old Firm

25-01-2015, 01:54 PM
So the ugly sisters meet again next week. Personally I would like celtic to give them an absolute doing and hopefully demoralise them even more. Can only be a good thing for us playing them in the league, a win against celtic would give them a massive lift and perhaps spur them on.

I personal don't believe this idea that celtic will go easier on them as to not demoralise them too much in hope they can win promotion (as much as celtic will never admit it, they desperately want the huns back with them in the SPL). They haven't met them in 3 years, the huns are currently in turmoil, so I reckon celtic will use this rare opportunity to absolutely humiliate them. However, as the FA cup proved yesterday, cup games can produce a shock and the huns will be right up for this one.

Spike Mandela
25-01-2015, 01:56 PM
The 'Old Firm' doesn't exist any more.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 01:59 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens in Scotland's newest derby fixture next week.

Sylar
25-01-2015, 01:59 PM
I think Celtc should rattle them in all honesty. I just hope the game passes without any trouble but I can see this being a total powderkeg situation.

25-01-2015, 02:02 PM
I think Celtc should rattle them in all honesty. I just hope the game passes without any trouble but I can see this being a total powderkeg situation.

There will be loads of trouble. They haven't met each other since 2012, they will be a lot of built of tension that will spill over. Hopefully the police manage to contain it well.

Joe's ice cream
25-01-2015, 03:02 PM

I admit that it's not a very mature view from myself but I hope that it's total carnage on and off the pitch with basically running battles, pitch invasions , lots of sending offs and total meltdown !! Not sure my rational around wishing this but I just do!!

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Really couldn't care less. Won't be watching and hope it's an absolutely pish game that none of them enjoy.

Smartie
25-01-2015, 03:07 PM
I can't stand Rangers but there's a wee bit of me wanting to see them win this one. They've been honking lately and have - rightly - been derided for being so. I thought that the article by the Celtic fans in the paper was a bit pointless, goading them and potentially making the powder keg situation even worse. I equally can't stand Celtic - who have been far from brilliant themselves this season, and it would be quite funny to see it all blow up in their faces.

HoboHarry
25-01-2015, 03:12 PM
I can't stand Rangers but there's a wee bit of me wanting to see them win this one. They've been honking lately and have - rightly - been derided for being so. I thought that the article by the Celtic fans in the paper was a bit pointless, goading them and potentially making the powder keg situation even worse. I equally can't stand Celtic - who have been far from brilliant themselves this season, and it would be quite funny to see it all blow up in their faces.
Given that they have two games in hand over us I don't want anything that would help them out. I hope Celtic crush them by 5 or 6 goals and I hope that Scott Brown makes McClugger look a fool......

Ronniekirk
25-01-2015, 03:20 PM
It can't possibly live up to the hype ,and could end up being embarrassing if Celtic go for the jugular . I won't be watching it iether it's a meaningless game , but sadly it will get all the attention Havent missed it to be honest

25-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Does anyone have a link to the article celtic fans put in the paper regarding rangers?

Talk about adding fuel to what will already be a very fiery situation.

Deansy
25-01-2015, 03:29 PM

What article/paper ?

I think there WILL be serious trouble arising from this match both on and off the pitch - you only have to look at some of the posts on 'Hun-media' to see that !

emerald green
25-01-2015, 03:30 PM
No doubt quite a few wives, partners, girlfriends, of the Orcs will be dreading this fixture, regardless of who wins.

PS: The Old Firm doesn't really exist anymore. Not since Rangers FC were liquidated at the Court of Session in 2012. Could maybe call this the New Firm now?

MurrayfieldHibs
25-01-2015, 03:38 PM
What article/paper ?

I think there WILL be serious trouble arising from this match both on and off the pitch - you only have to look at some of the posts on 'Hun-media' to see that !

It's in the Sunday Herald today. Basically says this is the first time we have played this team.

grunt
25-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Does anyone have a link to the article celtic fans put in the paper regarding rangers?

Talk about adding fuel to what will already be a very fiery situation.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8LqrcCIMAAsGj8.jpg:large

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 04:37 PM
It's in the Sunday Herald today. Basically says this is the first time we have played this team.

It is.

Nomeancity
25-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Is it not a bit silly the herald accepting this as an advert?

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Guff banter from the smellies. I liked the idea on here of paying for a billboard Gorgie way with Vlad in a Hibs top with a big Cuban last year.

Deansy
25-01-2015, 11:04 PM

Cheers mate !

JimBHibees
26-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Saw the advert by the BBC about this game, at the end of it said, "The World will be watching". Talk about being deluded.

26-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Guff banter from the smellies. I liked the idea on here of paying for a billboard Gorgie way with Vlad in a Hibs top with a big Cuban last year.

Would have been funny while it lasted but wouldn't be long until one of the mutants took a can of paint to it.

26-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Saw the advert by the BBC about this game, at the end of it said, "The World will be watching". Talk about being deluded.

This old firm (or new firm whatever you want to call it) fixture very rarely lives up to the hype surrounding it.

Bostonhibby
26-01-2015, 08:42 AM
You cant blame celtc fans for getting excited, its their first chance to play the new team from Glasgow and its important to them to get off to a winning start.

The real motivation for them though will be the chance to sing hate filled sectarian crap at a bunch of people who really will take it seriously and feel the only way to respond is in kind - its not every day you get to meet someone who truly needs you. Two cheeks same erse.

JimBHibees
26-01-2015, 08:51 AM
This old firm (or new firm whatever you want to call it) fixture very rarely lives up to the hype surrounding it.

Yep but it allows most of West Central Scotland to get hammered and fight with each other. :greengrin

Carheenlea
26-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Unless Celtic knock in double figures, the funniest outcome would have to be a win for Rangers. I'll be rooting for Rangers for that reason (if I actually watch it).

lyonhibs
26-01-2015, 09:01 AM
All this patter that "there's no more Old Firm/this is the first time they've met" is all a bit pedantic and chronic.

I'm torn here. After the cringeworthy self-important full page advert in the Herald from "Celtc supporters" prattling on about why they feel this is their first meeting blah blah blah (did they do this the first time they met the "reformed" Livingston FC or Airdrie United - if they have - out of interest?? Thought not) then I would laugh until the cows came home if Rangers somehow beat them.

However, on the evidence that I saw on Dec 27th of one of the poorest opposition teams I've ever seen at ER on league duty, I think Celtic will beat them, and if they are to do so, I hope - as others have mentioned - that it is a proper beasting. Start at 4-0 as a minimum requirement and work up from that.

AndyM_1875
26-01-2015, 09:32 AM
All this patter that "there's no more Old Firm/this is the first time they've met" is all a bit pedantic and chronic.

I'm torn here. After the cringeworthy self-important full page advert in the Herald from "Celtc supporters" prattling on about why they feel this is their first meeting blah blah blah (did they do this the first time they met the "reformed" Livingston FC or Airdrie United - if they have - out of interest?? Thought not) then I would laugh until the cows came home if Rangers somehow beat them.

However, on the evidence that I saw on Dec 27th of one of the poorest opposition teams I've ever seen at ER on league duty, I think Celtic will beat them, and if they are to do so, I hope - as others have mentioned - that it is a proper beasting. Start at 4-0 as a minimum requirement and work up from that.

I have to say I laughed out loud at that Celtic Supporters advert.
One rarely comes across such po-faced, self important, puerile mince peddled by total balloons on so many occasions. For a start this is not the opinion of "all Celtic supporters" as the resident bam from Celtic Quick News asserts. It is the opinion and agenda of his website and the zoomers who post on it. Many Celtic fans disagree totally with him, others simply don't care.
The original advert had the Celtic crest on it and the club appear to have refused permission for it to be used which speaks volumes. One can just imagine Peter Lawell cringing himself inside out when he saw that. He's got a 10m hole to fill and a club to further downsize.

But in seriousness we as Hibs fans can look on rather dispassionately knowing that the reality of the Old Firm is actually in two totally unlikeable clubs knocking heads and making loads of money out of sectarian garbage played out against a social background of stabbings, assaults and domestic violence where our Police and NHS staff are the ones who have to clean up after these morons.

The individuals behind this advert would be well advised to remember that there are times to have a dig at your rivals (and they are rivals whatever anyone says). The week before a potential powderkeg fixture is never that time.

Steve20
26-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Normally, I prefer Rangers to win Old Firm matches. However, I'm going to be backing Celtic (-2) and Celtic (-3) so winning money will be my priority in who I want to win.

Andy74
26-01-2015, 09:39 AM

Agree, it's boring. They are here and that's that. Strictly the company went bust but the new company purchased all the rights associated with the football club. We are pretty keen for Hibs to be less corporate and more of a football club. In similar circumstances we would still see ourselves as the continuation of Hibs.

jacomo
26-01-2015, 10:20 AM

The irony is that the act of placing that very self-important advert is confirmation that this is the resumption of an old relationship. Otherwise, why bother?

I posted on the generic Sevco thread that I think Der Hun is legally a new entity, but emotionally carries all the same baggage of the old club. Football clubs, in the end, are nothing without their supporters, and the same supporters (albeit a lot less of them :wink:) attach themselves to the new club.

As for the match, New Rangers enjoyed a full Ibrox for the first time in a long while for the Ricksen match and this might bring out a sense of solidarity and togetherness. For our own sakes, we need them to remain a demoralised shambles, so a Celtc win would be a better result.

Also, Celtc are looking like they are finally hitting a little bit of form. I reckon LG will tear them a new one.

CropleyWasGod
26-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Anyone think that there is an ulterior motive here?

The intention could be:-

1. disagree with us, and sue us. (thereby spending more money that you don't have, hastening Admin 2)

OR

2. do nothing, thereby agreeing with us.

matty_f
26-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I just consider The Rangers to be a continuation of the old mob, unless I'm talking to a The Rangers fan, when the 'The' is always added and they are definitely a new club. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 10:42 AM
They'll always be Sevco to me from now on, unless they're liquidated again and the new team will be known either as The Sevco or Sevco II.

As far as I'm concerned, Rangers died in 2012.

Keith_M
26-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Sunday's match could not possibly live up to the hype.

It's a celebration of bile and hatred; nothing more.

jacomo
26-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Er, I think that's what the hype is about, isn't it? Football is a distant second for most of these supporters.

lyonhibs
26-01-2015, 11:11 AM
]The irony is that the act of placing that very self-important advert is confirmation that this is the continuation of a new relationship. Otherwise, why bother?[/B]

I posted on the generic Sevco thread that I think Der Hun is legally a new entity, but emotionally carries all the same baggage of the old club. Football clubs, in the end, are nothing without their supporters, and the same supporters (albeit a lot less of them :wink:) attach themselves to the new club.

As for the match, New Rangers enjoyed a full Ibrox for the first time in a long while for the Ricksen match and this might bring out a sense of solidarity and togetherness. For our own sakes, we need them to remain a demoralised shambles, so a Celtc win would be a better result.

Also, Celtc are looking like they are finally hitting a little bit of form. I reckon LG will tear them a new one.

Nail on head. Why did they feel compelled to effectively do the equivalent of wailing "nut, they're no the same and here's pure why"? Because, they know fine well it's a crock of ***** and that the smell and inhabitants of Ibrox reamin - if in lesser numbers - the same as before.

I take it that Celtc fans will merely politely clap and observe "Well done The Bhoys, tough luck The Rangers" if they score a last minute winner on Sunday? That would be behaviour becoming of TGFITW against a club that is a mere 2 years old....... :rolleyes:

erin go bragh
26-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Hope Celtic embarrass them, like we did .
Im quite looking forward to watching it .

Ggtth

Hannah_hfc
26-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Sadly, I think the main talking point will be the tension between supporters rather than what happens on field.

Was it not an under-15s game that supporters started fighting at a couple years ago? Doesn't bode well for the actual fixture. Whether or not Rangers are a "new" club or not, the rivalry won't have simmered any.

SteveHFC
26-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Hope Celtic pump them.

Craig_HFC
26-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Hope there are 22 injuries (at least) and a mass brawl that results in a points deduction for both teams.

And if that doesn't happen then I won't be satisfied.

weonlywon6-2
26-01-2015, 07:13 PM

it won't.......but still worth a watch 😊

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Silly idea playing the game on a Sunday. With religion being paramount, surely all the fans will be observing the Lord's day quietly at home?

libernian
26-01-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm looking forward to it!

I don't think it'll be a great game, but I've missed watching them on TV.

Hope Rangers win as the underdogs... Also, I've started to feel sorry for the decent Rangers fans recently.

Hibs90
26-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Dont care who wins tbh.

Agnes Gordon
27-01-2015, 03:51 AM
Can't believe some folk on this thread rooting for Der Hun?
I can only assume they've never went to an away match at Ibrox.

Jim44
27-01-2015, 06:40 AM

A win for the The Rangers would be their most significant result for years and would trigger off a revitalisation in their league campaign and making our attempt to get 2nd place even more difficult. I hope Celtic humiliate them.

DH1875
27-01-2015, 06:53 AM
A hun win is the last thing we want/need. Hope they get humped.

Smartie
27-01-2015, 10:40 AM

I have done, many a time and I absolutely can't stand them so it doesn't come easily, I must admit.

But have you never wanted to see a s**t-stirring playground bully playing with fire get burnt? Or someone poking a wounded animal with a big stick get bitten?

I have no desire whatsoever to see the Rangers league challenge get a shot in the arm - that would be disastrous. But I would love to see the tims get brought down a peg or 2.

Steve20
27-01-2015, 10:49 AM

Been to plenty away matches at Ibrox and never had any trouble. Parkhead on the other hand was different.

Carheenlea
27-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Folk can root for whoever they want.
Supporting Hibs should not point anyone in any particular direction when it comes to games not involving Hibs. I`ve been going to away games at Ibrox for 20 odd years and I`ll be rooting for Rangers for reasons given earlier in thread, a few rooting for Celtic for their own reasons, but you know, the majority probably couldn`t give a flying **** who wins.

Diclonius
27-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Haha Rangers are a new club, oh mah sides.

In all seriousness I'm looking forward to this game. Would stay well clear of Glasgow on the day though.

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2015, 11:56 AM
i hope sellick put 5 past them, thus killing them as a club :agree:

double figures would also be very acceptable

Geo_1875
27-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Couldn't care less about the game but I hope Police Scotland are on hand to robustly enforce the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act and Threatening Communications Act.

lyonhibs
27-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Been to plenty away matches at Ibrox and never had any trouble. Parkhead on the other hand was different.

Likewise. Or at least, the whole "away fan" experience for Ibrox is - at least these days, I daresay the 70's and 80's were grim - far superior to that of Celtc Park. At one, you hop on a tube from the City centre from where it is a 3 minute walk to a stadium that isn't falling to bits and you have a decent chance of your allocated seat actually being, errrr, physically there.

In the other, whatever form of public transport you get there's a decent walk through downtown Basra to get to the stadium where some seats have a muckle great big column in the way and others, like mine when I last went, aren't even there any more. Not to mention the comically over-zealous stewarding/policing which had about 600 Hibs fans surrounded by - I think - 3 separate "types" of security/police whilst the locals were permitted to make "pulling the pin and throwing a grenade" hand gestures and all manner of other japes unabated.

As I despise each footballing team equally, and these days the Celtc support is so cloyingingly desperate for attention and up their own ***** it's unreal, I'd be ok with a Rangers win. Equally, I'd be delighted if they get rammed six ways from Sunday by Celtc and fall away in the remaining months of the season.

A win - win. I'll miss watching the game live as I'm playing in a 5 a-side tournament anyway.

ian cruise
27-01-2015, 03:52 PM
A win for Celtic might make The Rangers rally in their league campaign to (though I do doubt they have the capability, it's still a possibility) Whereas a win might make the start to believe their hype only to come back to earth with an almighty clatter when they get beaten in their next league game. That's what I'm hoping for. Further cup games are a nice distraction for them from the league and I'd be confident that if we were drawn against them we could get then win. That's my sole motivation for wanting a Rangers win.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2015, 04:08 PM
i hope sellick put 5 past them, thus killing them as a club :agree:

double figures would also be very acceptable

Five goals against won't necessarily kill them off.

Sevco would need to score one in reply to really do the damage. :agree:

Pete
27-01-2015, 04:18 PM
This Celtic fans advert certainly has hit a nerve with some. I've looked at the record for the first time in months and they are doing all they can to promote and defend this Glasgow institution (the OF fixture).

Dalglish insists they are the same club and Walter Smith says that the whole of Scottish football has missed this match.

Bore off. I wish they would both just leave us alone. Go and play each other every week in your own wee league.

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Five goals against won't necessarily kill them off.

Sevco would need to score one in reply to really do the damage. :agree:

aah right :hmmm: so that's why cowdenbeath refused to score a consolation goal against us last saturday, it would/could have killed them as a club, i'm glad they knew the rules

:)

Sir David Gray
27-01-2015, 04:31 PM
aah right :hmmm: so that's why cowdenbeath refused to score a consolation goal against us last saturday, it would/could have killed them as a club, i'm glad they knew the rules

:)

5-1 is the killer result my friend.

Why do you think the German national team's never been the same since they lost 5-1 to England all those years ago?

emerald green
27-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I hope Sellick totally destroy Der Hun. Winning games breeds confidence, and if by some chance Der Hun were to win that would give them a huge confidence boost. We don't want that.

Nomeancity
27-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Parkhead is just as bad. And they're so called best fans in the world have been worse at ER. Pitch invasion, CS gas.

emerald green
27-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Parkhead is just as bad. And they're so called best fans in the world have been worse at ER. Pitch invasion, CS gas.

I'm no lover of Celtic, but out of the two sets of supporters (Celtic or The Rangers) the ones who hate Hibs, and Hibs supporters, the most are those of The Rangers. Without a doubt. Try walking into The Louden Bar in Glasgow wearing a green and white scarf (in fact, no don't).