PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings v QOS

Long suffering
25-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Apologies if already posted but any player ratings from yesterday? a very fine away win :flag:

pedroorange1875
25-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Oxley 7 - very little to do but coped with everything ok

Booth 5 - Is not a right back, not even sure if he is a defender, good going forward though
Hanlon 5 - Their no10 was small and was a bit of a handful for him,
Fontaine 7 - Solid
Stevenson 6 - Ok but poor crossing and should be going forward much more in space, still likes to check back when not needed

Robertson 8 - breaks up play, great goal, on very good form now
Allan - 7 sometimes decision making when to pass was poor, but he is a class or 2 above everyone, some sublime passes and glides past players with ease, switched well also
Mcgeouch 7 - in and out the game but looks to take the ball and start moves, took penalty well
Craig 5 - Usual frustrating self, struggles to control the ball and to pass to feet rather than a week behind

Boyle 7 - Should have scored a couple, 1 off the line with defenders arm should have been a pen, very fast and presses well, good positioning on a number of occasions just never got the pass
Cummings 5 - Understand he is top scorer but he need to learn when a shot is definately not on and a pass is much more damaging, could have slipped Boyle in a couple of times in a much more dangerous position.

Hibs were never really in trouble and i understand the first half was a little frustrating but sometimes it takes a bit to break these teams down although QOS did open a lot more than they did with the 11 men act behind the ball at Easter Road. Would take the left back Holt
Very good win and enjoyed the standing, back to the old days. Great toilets :agree:

WestEndHibee
25-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Oxley 7 - very little to do but coped with everything ok

Booth 5 - Is not a right back, not even sure if he is a defender, good going forward though
Hanlon 5 - Their no10 was small and was a bit of a handful for him,
Fontaine 7 - Solid
Stevenson 6 - Ok but poor crossing and should be going forward much more in space, still likes to check back when not needed

Robertson 8 - breaks up play, great goal, on very good form now
Allan - 7 sometimes decision making when to pass was poor, but he is a class or 2 above everyone, some sublime passes and glides past players with ease, switched well also
Mcgeouch 7 - in and out the game but looks to take the ball and start moves, took penalty well
Craig 5 - Usual frustrating self, struggles to control the ball and to pass to feet rather than a week behind

Boyle 7 - Should have scored a couple, 1 off the line with defenders arm should have been a pen, very fast and presses well, good positioning on a number of occasions just never got the pass
Cummings 5 - Understand he is top scorer but he need to learn when a shot is definately not on and a pass is much more damaging, could have slipped Boyle in a couple of times in a much more dangerous position.

I read the game slightly differently in parts.

I would have given Hanlon 7 as he read the game very well, making a few moments look easy when it could have developed into a tricky situation. Played a beauty of a 30 yard pass in the first half too.

I would give Stevenson 10 Just cause :greengrin

I'd agree with Craig 5 he frustrated the fans but its a bit of a chicken and egg situation now.

I'd give Cummings 8. He won us the penalty and restrained himself from trying to turn by laying it off for Robertson. Yes a lot of shots are unnecessary but even in just yesterday's game you can see he's developing.

Bronson
25-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Oxley - 6, not much to do but he never seems to fill me with great confidence in all honesty

Booth - 6, did okay but not a long term solution at right back
Hanlon - 7, decent game, some great cross-field passing
Fontaine - 8, solid, unlucky not to score, he's been a terrific signing in all honesty
Stevenson - 7, supported attack well and gave you the usual graft and solid display. Crossing still leaves much to be desired though

Robertson - 8, good game, cracking goal
Allan - 7, his form hasn't been as great the last few weeks but still the difference at times. Guilty of trying too much on occasion
McGeouch - 8, some lovely footwork and a clinical penalty, him and Allan in midfield are a joy to watch
Craig - 6, shocking miss in the first half but gets pass marks from me. He's capable of better though

Cummings - 7, done well to win the penalty and he seems to get better and better every week. Incredibly greedy at times though, I love his desire to score goals but needs to remember the name on the front of the shirt matters more than the one on the back
Boyle - 6, caused problems with his pace and his touch is actually quite good however his finishing isn't great, dragged a great chance in the first half wide and missed a complete sitter in the second, although I'll credit the defender for a good tackle

Andy74
25-01-2015, 02:58 PM
I read the game slightly differently in parts.

I would have given Hanlon 7 as he read the game very well, making a few moments look easy when it could have developed into a tricky situation. Played a beauty of a 30 yard pass in the first half too.

I would give Stevenson 10 Just cause :greengrin

I'd agree with Craig 5 he frustrated the fans but its a bit of a chicken and egg situation now.

I'd give Cummings 8. He won us the penalty and restrained himself from trying to turn by laying it off for Robertson. Yes a lot of shots are unnecessary but even in just yesterday's game you can see he's developing.

Craig had a couple of bad touched around the box but otherwise played fine.

The personal abuse he got when he got close to the touch line isn't helping anyone though. Neither are the howls every time he comes close to making a mistake. People are looking for it now so they can scream and shout.

Other players get left alone for similar mistakes.

Winston Ingram
25-01-2015, 03:10 PM

The personal abuse he got when he got close to the touch line isn't helping anyone though. Neither are the howls every time he comes close to making a mistake. People are looking for it now so they can scream and shout.

With some he's never turning it round. I never saw yesterday's performance but he's been playing well

kaimendhibs
25-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Thought it was a nice touch by the guy sat in front of me to call Craig a prick when he was at the touch line. With support like that we Cannae go wrong eh

WestEndHibee
25-01-2015, 03:54 PM

we were talking about this yesterday. Generally when another player makes the same or a worse mistake there's only a couple of comments yet with Craig it almost begins before he even touches the ball, which seems to make him more likely to make a mistake.

Loved the way he ran to the crowd to celebrate when McGeouch scored. FWIW I think he's a good captain/leader but focussing on keeping the team going might actually cause him to not play to his potential.

Centre Hawf
25-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Thought it was a nice touch by the guy sat in front of me to call Craig a prick when he was at the touch line. With support like that we Cannae go wrong eh

Craig by his own recent standards had a pretty poor game, but that's because he's been playing well the last month or so. He should have scored but his runs from deep were all well timed and made QOS worried when he showed up at the edge of the box. He's a good player, but because he's not Scott Allan, who btw is a bit out of form, he'll get abuse when he makes a mistake where as Allan will be praised for trying a brave pass.

Not a dig at Allan, just the mentality of Hibs fans at the moment baffles me.

ano hibby
25-01-2015, 05:31 PM

Couple guys near us close to half way line down front doing same. Wait until crowd noise settles & LC was close then tell him he's f'n s'te. Didn't matter he came onto a game & played well in second half, abuse kept coming. Great support as you say, drives you mad.

ACLeith
25-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Like most of the team, he had a better second half than first. Seemed to be playing at the head of the diamond with Scott Allan dropping back deeper. Therefore managed to get ahead of the strikers a few times, which is what I think he did best for St J and what he was doing early on last season - goal against Dundee Utd at the start of the year after a great pass from Heff - now you don't read that often on here :greengrin

One dreadful attempt at goal in the first half, then shortly afterwards a great effort that shaved the post. Caused them a lot of problems in the second half down our left and got a decent reception from those round about us.

Jonnyboy
25-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Opinions eh? I thought Hanlon was outstanding for the entire ninety minutes, closely followed by Fontaine.

LC was not nearly as bad as some suggest either.

Laughed when I heard a fan ask their right back, Kidd if he had a brother called Albert :greengrin

Oh aye and the guy behind me who continually referred to McGeogh as Bobby :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
25-01-2015, 06:39 PM
we were talking about this yesterday. Generally when another player makes the same or a worse mistake there's only a couple of comments yet with Craig it almost begins before he even touches the ball, which seems to make him more likely to make a mistake.

Indeed. Been saying it for weeks.

Bay Area Hibees
25-01-2015, 08:30 PM
So were any of the hibs fans that abused LC on here and prepared to explain their rationale?

Please?

Clueless at best.

Brightside
26-01-2015, 10:30 AM
So were any of the hibs fans that abused LC on here and prepared to explain their rationale?

Please?

Clueless at best.

Doubt it - but i'd guess they follow Hands on Hibs.

Someone giving Hanlon a 5 is always funny on here.

dangermouse
26-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Opinions eh? I thought Hanlon was outstanding for the entire ninety minutes, closely followed by Fontaine.

LC was not nearly as bad as some suggest either.

Laughed when I heard a fan ask their right back, Kidd if he had a brother called Albert :greengrin

Oh aye and the guy behind me who continually referred to McGeogh as Bobby :greengrin

Guy behind me was doing that too as well as calling Boyle Susie :faf:

patlowe
26-01-2015, 12:23 PM

This is probably true and won't do his confidence any good. I feel for the guy when he gets stick as it doesn't do anyone any good. I also personally have no issue with him being in the squad and feel he has contributed well at points this season.

However, Craig's lack of, dare I say it, quality, is extremely frustrating when you consider the reputation upon which he was signed. For example, he just doesn't have the same dynamism, energy or skill of your Allans and McGeochs. Put simply, these guys stamp their mark on the game and make things happen, which is why they are cut a lot more slack from fans, rightly or wrongly. For me, Craig is not in that class of player so is unable to do the same. Now you could say the same about a guy like Robertson in terms of his deficiencies, but his sheer force of personality and determination on the park shines through and is of obvious value to the team right now. Conversely, I think Craig has a tendency to go into his shell and, again, this frustrates the fans as they see that he has been given the captaincy and expect more from him.

overdrive
26-01-2015, 12:28 PM
I wasn't at the match but the QoS fan in the office said both Hanlon and Fontaine were a cut above everybody else.

The_Exile
26-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Clean sheet and one of our centre backs gets marked a 5, the other a 7 :greengrin

ozwoody
26-01-2015, 12:35 PM
This is a strange one for me as a goalkeeping coach.i want my guys to keep a clean sheet and one of the ways of doing that is by organising the defenders who to mark,watching runners,having a good idea on positioning etc. So it sounds as if Oxley did all these things correctly but as he didn't have world class saves to make he only gets 6s or 7s.not critical of posters but he walked off with no goals against which showed he did what was required.if cummings had scored 3,which is his job on a pitch, would he have recieved higher marks? You cant compare apples with oranges i know,but Oxley has got defence in order as much as stubbs and for a young keeper thats a bright sign

The_Exile
26-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Clean sheet and a win against one of our closest rivals for 2nd place, everyone gets 9's, NEXT. :thumbsup:

The_Horde
27-01-2015, 12:45 AM
This is a strange one for me as a goalkeeping coach.i want my guys to keep a clean sheet and one of the ways of doing that is by organising the defenders who to mark,watching runners,having a good idea on positioning etc. So it sounds as if Oxley did all these things correctly but as he didn't have world class saves to make he only gets 6s or 7s.not critical of posters but he walked off with no goals against which showed he did what was required.if cummings had scored 3,which is his job on a pitch, would he have recieved higher marks? You cant compare apples with oranges i know,but Oxley has got defence in order as much as stubbs and for a young keeper thats a bright sign

Well said my friend!

My only gripe with Oxley is quite often we'll be dominant in matches and then concede one from nowhere. He's a good solid keeper who distributes well and clearly works well with the defence but I'd really like to see him pull off a cracking, somewhat unexpected save now and then. Something like Williams in his first season.

The_Horde
27-01-2015, 12:50 AM
There was a moment in the first half when Oxley went down under a challenge from an attacking player. A cross came in and the attacker beat Oxley to the aerial ball - the ref blew for the foul but still some hibs fans moaned.

It was a blatant foul!

ozwoody
27-01-2015, 05:03 AM
Well said my friend!

My only gripe with Oxley is quite often we'll be dominant in matches and then concede one from nowhere. He's a good solid keeper who distributes well and clearly works well with the defence but I'd really like to see him pull off a cracking, somewhat unexpected save now and then. Something like Williams in his first season.

If a keeper has his defence and defensive midfielders in the correct area and he is positioned for shots then the spectacular saves dont have to happen (although they are stunning to watch ) Oxley is still a young keeper so will always be learning, hell im 44 and i still learn in every game i play . he's very good commanding his area and i believe he will continue to improve

The_Horde
27-01-2015, 10:49 AM
If a keeper has his defence and defensive midfielders in the correct area and he is positioned for shots then the spectacular saves dont have to happen (although they are stunning to watch ) Oxley is still a young keeper so will always be learning, hell im 44 and i still learn in every game i play . he's very good commanding his area and i believe he will continue to improve

I have no doubt. I'd just like him to improve on his shot stopping a bit more.

ozwoody
27-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I have no doubt. I'd just like him to improve on his shot stopping a bit more.

I agree his reflexes are not as quick as williams,i see your point.williams was playing against a tougher calibre of player as well.buy as a young guy getting his first real role as no 1,i think he is doing well,would he cut it against epl oposition? Who knows,but at least stubbs has cerny as a more than able back up now too