PDA

View Full Version : Watford 7 - Blackpool 2

theonlywayisup
24-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Watford were two nil down at half time, but scored seven second half goals. What is the best turn around that Hibs have had in losing at half time before winning at full time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30860531

I recall being two down to Killie at home before scoring four second half goals to win 4-2. Is that our best second half comeback or is there a better one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4338808.stm

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Only a couple of seasons ago at hampden was a decent comeback. :greengrin

emerald green
24-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Cup semi v Falkirk. Down 3-0 at HT. Won 4-3 (aet). Does that count?

Broken Gnome
24-01-2015, 07:50 PM
0-2 against Gretna after an hour became 4-2.

kenny.ff
24-01-2015, 07:51 PM
One of the best games ive been to. Never felt so much emotion at a game of football,

Alfred E Newman
24-01-2015, 07:52 PM
If I remember correctly we were 0-2 down to Killie in the cup many moons ago and won 5-2. In the mid 70s I think.

theonlywayisup
24-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Only a couple of seasons ago at hampden was a decent comeback. :greengrin

:doh: how did I forget that one. My heart was broken at half time, but full of joy at the end of extra time.

Boyle89
24-01-2015, 07:56 PM
I left at half time during the semi.......

Not really ;)

CallumLaidlaw
24-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Glad to say I was at the Falkirk semi and also the 4-2 killie game. We had been by far the best team in the first half yet were 2 down. My dad got 14/1 for a Hibs win at half time

Billy Whizz
24-01-2015, 08:57 PM
On the reverse I remember being 2-0 up at Motherwell in Duffy's era. Think we eventually lost 6-2

hibbymick
24-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Correct me if im wrong but did the jambos no score first in the 6-2 game :cb

edit,,,,,dont jump in before reading OP correctly ,,,,,oops.

Watford_Mark
24-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Was at Vicarage Road today. Amazing come back, 7 goals in one half.

We were sitting behind the goal where all 9 goals were scored. Great value for money too, £13 for me & £5 for my daughter.... so £2 per goal, cant be bad :)

Getting regular updates from Dumfries & Tynecastle also added to the enjoyment :)

Now waiting for MOTD tonight.:coffee:

sambajustice
24-01-2015, 09:09 PM
We've had a couple of spectacular cave ins though!

6-2 up with about 10 seconds left and drew 6-6 and also against the yam bams when the groundsman was shutting up shop and everyone was away hame we were 4-2 up and contrived to draw 4-4!

There was a game in the 70s Hibs were 2-0 down to Airdrie and won 6-2. I only know this because its one of the many games on my "7-0" tape!

Sas_The_Hibby
24-01-2015, 09:19 PM

6-2 up with about 10 seconds left and drew 6-6 and also against the yam bams when the groundsman was shutting up shop and everyone was away hame we were 4-2 up and contrived to draw 4-4!

There was a game in the 70s Hibs were 2-0 down to Airdrie and won 6-2. I only know this because its one of the many games on my "7-0" tape!

It was hardly ten seconds - 20 seconds maybe........ :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
24-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Was at Vicarage Road today. Amazing come back, 7 goals in one half.

We were sitting behind the goal where all 9 goals were scored. Great value for money too, £13 for me & £5 for my daughter.... so £2 per goal, cant be bad :)

Getting regular updates from Dumfries & Tynecastle also added to the enjoyment :)

Now waiting for MOTD tonight.:coffee:

Was at Watford's 4-0 win against Blackpool at Vicarage Road last March. I'd have been disappointed to be there today and see them concede two goals! :cb

Nomeancity
25-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Ok it wasn't a win but we came from 2-0 down at the "best stadium for atmosphere" to draw 2-2 in a midweek game. Think joe mcbride scored at least one if not 2 of the goals very late on.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2015, 11:50 PM
On the reverse I remember being 2-0 up at Motherwell in Duffy's era. Think we eventually lost 6-2

He was sacked after that match. We were bottom and Motherwell were immediately above us. Two nil up in about 8 minutes and hammered.

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Is there a thread on people leaving before half time on Watford.net I wonder :greengrin I saw a few teenage Hibs fans leave on the half hour mark when the rain came on yesterday!

sadtom
26-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Pretty sure around late 80's we were 2-0 down to Dundee Utd at ER with about 20 mins to go and won 3-2

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Pretty sure around late 80's we were 2-0 down to Dundee Utd at ER with about 20 mins to go and won 3-2

Yip, and I'm sure we had another game against someone like Utd or St Mirren around the same time where we were 3-1 down and won 4-3. Sure Gareth Evans may have been involved in these games.

EDIT - found this on googling -

St Mirren game on 02/03/91.

Scoring sequence:-

09 mins Wright (Pen) 1-0
17 mins Kinnaird 1-1
38 mins Martin 1-2
63 mins Torfason 1-3
66 mins Hunter 2-3
83 mins Wright 3-3
90 mins Evans 4-3

Hibernian team:- Goram, Miller, Milne, Hamilton, McIntyre, Hunter, Lennon, Wright, Findlay, Fellinger, McGinlay. Subs Evans & Orr.
NB It's Paul Wright, not Keith.

St.Mirren team:- Money, Wishart, Black, Lambert, Victor, McWhirter, Martin, Stickroth, Irvine, Torfason, Kinnaird. Subs Hutchison & Shaw.

Referee:- Don McVicar

referring to St. Mirren's third, David Hardie's report says "The sparsely populated Easter Road terraces quickly began to empty ...".

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2015, 10:14 AM
And here's a report on the Utd 3-2 game.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/evans-gives-hibs-a-derby-boost-1.806803

Monday 30 December 1991

GARETH Evans' electrifying input to Hibernian's 3-2 victory over Dundee United at Easter Road on Saturday has had a double effect on the premier division.

It has initially earned the Edinburgh team two precious points that keep them on the periphery of the championship scuffle, albeit they are still 10 points off the lead.

Just as importantly, the little English striker's breathtaking late intervention offers the men from the east end of town so much encouragement for Wednesday's New Year derby at Tynecastle against the leaders, Hearts.

Hibs had secured only three victories, against Airdrie, St Johnstone, and Dunfermline, since winning the Skol Cup in October. On top of that they are the unwilling holders of a horrific Tynecastle record.

On Saturday, with United two goals up and only 15 minutes remaining, it appeared they had little chance of making the Ne'erday journey to the west end with any confidence at all.

But just a few minutes later, thanks to two expertly taken Evans goals and a neat close-in header from Keith Wright, the rescue of the season was complete and United were stunned.

It was not difficult to feel sympathy for the Dundonians after some of their early play brought memories of the Dodds-Sturrock-Bannon era flooding back.

The tall, gangling Duncan Ferguson, just 20 on Friday, possesses all the Dave Dodds ability in the air but, ominously for defenders around the country, he has superb ground skills to match.

The revelation that Ferguson had been ill for several days before the match, made his excellent performance nothing short of miraculous.

With Darren Jackson filling the darting Sturrock role and 21-year-old Alec Cleland providing the quality crosses that once was Bannon's forte, United were a delight to watch.

Mixu Paatelainen smacked in their first goal from a fierce Cleland cross after 17 minutes, and both Ferguson and Jackson nearly added other first-half goals.

When Maurice Malpas -- he and Dave Narey are the remaining components of the United team of a decade ago -- stroked in the second after 74 minutes, it seemed that Hibs' recent gloom had deepened.

However, if the Edinburgh team's fluency of early season has deserted them, their spirit remains almost intact, and United were left to reflect on a frailty that allowed the season's most remarkable turnaround.

McLean still has not constructed the secure back division that earned two league cups and one championship in the early eighties. If he can do that, the rest had better look out.

linlithgowhibbie
26-01-2015, 10:17 AM
I remember game at Dunfy when we were 4 up, Dunfy pulled it back to 4-4 then 5-4 Hibs, 5-5 then Jim Scott scored a beauty for 6-5. Sure it was in 19665 season.

:gwa:

sadtom
26-01-2015, 10:51 AM
And here's a report on the Utd 3-2 game.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/evans-gives-hibs-a-derby-boost-1.806803

Nice one.
Cheers.

CropleyWasGod
26-01-2015, 10:55 AM
I remember game at Dunfy when we were 4 up, Dunfy pulled it back to 4-4 then 5-4 Hibs, 5-5 then Jim Scott scored a beauty for 6-5. Sure it was in 19665 season.

I was in a caravan, listening to the results coming in on the radio.

My old man's face when the announcer said "Dunfermline 5....." :greengrin

essexhibee
26-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Falkirk semi for me. Never have i witnessed a more abysmal first half turnaround before a completely different performance in the second half. Incredible to think it should have been 4-0 at HT, taylor one-on-one saved and then even in extra time right at the end did he not have another one-on-one saved by Williams.

Utter roller coaster of emotions from complete anger and despair at half time to hope with harris's goal, then despair at Leigh's penalty miss believing it just wasn't going to be our day, to the belief and hope when he finally scored to utter relief when doyle equalised. When Leigh won it that was an unparalleled feeling. Was utterly drained after that game.

ballengeich
26-01-2015, 12:32 PM
In the early 70s I was at Tannadice when Dundee United went 2-0 up just after half time. The Tornados won 5-2. I think it was a League Cup game.

brog
26-01-2015, 12:40 PM

We were actually 4-0 & 5-2 up in that game before as you say it went to 5-5. McNamee then cleared a ball which was a yard over the line before we broke to the other end & scored. It wasn't a beauty though, Jim Scott was straight through hit the ball against the keeper it rebounded off Scott & as both players lay in a heap the ball trundled into the net. Ironically our previous 5 goals were all outstanding & Pars were all goalmouth scrambles!

brog
26-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Incredibly when we won the LC in 1972 we were 2-0 down at Tannadice at HT & won 5-2 & 2-1 down at Airdrie at HT & won 6-2! ( Don't think we were 2-0 down though ). We scored 5 goals in 45 minutes 5 times that season, 2 more were Ayr & Sporting Lisbon but I'm struggling with the other. Think it was about New Year time! :wink:

snooky
26-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Watford were two nil down at half time, but scored seven second half goals. What is the best turn around that Hibs have had in losing at half time before winning at full time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30860531

I recall being two down to Killie at home before scoring four second half goals to win 4-2. Is that our best second half comeback or is there a better one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4338808.stm

Reminds me of the old joke about the animals playing the insects. The insects turned round a big HT deficit because ....
..... it took the centipede all of the first half to put his boots on. <boom boom>

Alfred E Newman
26-01-2015, 06:44 PM
If I remember correctly we were 0-2 down to Killie in the cup many moons ago and won 5-2. In the mid 70s I think.

January 26 1974.