PDA

View Full Version : What a day in the FA Cup!

Hibbyradge
24-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Blackburn 3 Swansea 1

Chelsea 2 Bradford 4

Man City 0 Middlesborough 2

Southampton 2 Palace 3

Spurs 1 Leicester 2

Liverpool held at home to Bolton

Man U held at Cambridge.

Remarkable.

Palace for the cup!

flash
24-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Used to be the greatest show on earth. Now it's a joke with hardly anyone in the premiership trying to win it. Shame.

IrnBru22
24-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Used to be the greatest show on earth. Now it's a joke with hardly anyone in the premiership trying to win it. Shame.

whats going on in your avatar ?

Colr
24-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Just back from the Spurs game. They were rotten second half.

LancashireHibby
24-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Wouldn't say so with the strength of the teams on show. Chelsea rested a few and still had a team worth £200m vs £7,500.

Thoroughly pleased with the Bolton performance from a personal point of view and hope we stuff 'em in the replay.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Agreed . I think its a poor day for the FA cup, the top teams clearly dont give a ****. They will probably be relieved to be out so they can concentrate on the title run in.

Its sad when in days gone by the FA cup was seen as being as important as the league title.

flash
24-01-2015, 07:20 PM
whats going on in your avatar ?

It's a Hun in Manchester getting bitten by a police dug.

DH1875
24-01-2015, 08:41 PM
It's a Hun in Manchester getting bitten by a police dug.The guy is dead now. Not sure about the dog.

Onceinawhile
24-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Chelsea let down my acca. Chuds.

RyeSloan
24-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Agreed . I think its a poor day for the FA cup, the top teams clearly dont give a ****. They will probably be relieved to be out so they can concentrate on the title run in. Its sad when in days gone by the FA cup was seen as being as important as the league title.

What is it with this fascination about the FA Cup not meaning what it used to...I've been hearing the same old for over a decade now!

To me it was a great day for the FA Cup...the underdogs showed the big boys how it's done, that's what cups are all about!

Fact the it has cleared the road for Arsenal to lift it again this year has nothing to do with it...<aye right!)

ekhibee
24-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Just back from the Spurs game. They were rotten second half.
I really fancied Spurs for it this season, but it looks like they're reverting to type, in other words- erratic. Great to watch at times, other times, really, really poor, particularly defensively. For some reason they always seem to be just 1 or 2 players away from being a really great team.

Onceinawhile
24-01-2015, 08:55 PM
I really fancied Spurs for it this season, but it looks like they're reverting to type, in other words- erratic. Great to watch at times, other times, really, really poor, particularly defensively. For some reason they always seem to be just 1 or 2 players away from being a really great team.

Spurs win the cup? The year doesn't end in 1!

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 08:57 PM
What is it with this fascination about the FA Cup not meaning what it used to...I've been hearing the same old for over a decade now!

To me it was a great day for the FA Cup...the underdogs showed the big boys how it's done, that's what cups are all about!

Fact the it has cleared the road for Arsenal to lift it again this year has nothing to do with it...<aye right!)

Tend to agree.

If Crystal Palace, Middlesborough or Bradford say go on to win it they won't give 2 hoots that Chelsea and Man City played weakened teams in an early round. It will be the greatest day in a lot of their fans lives.

And let's be honest both Man Utd and Arsenal will be absolutely desperate to win it as it's their best chance of silverware this season.

jodjam
24-01-2015, 09:07 PM
The romance of the cup. Has anyone ever pulled at an FA cup match ;)

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 09:10 PM

Cups should not be about top teams taking the competition with a pinch of salt, which is what is happening. When Wrexham beat Arsenal in the 90s it was a major shock, and a major achievement. Today's results just highlight how much the top teams don't give a ****. If there was only one "shock" i might have been shocked. Mourinho and Pellegrini wont lose sleep tonight, because the FA cup means nothing to the big teams.

Arsenal will not win the FA Cup by the way :greengrin

Tend to agree.

If Crystal Palace, Middlesborough or Bradford say go on to win it they won't give 2 hoots that Chelsea and Man City played weakened teams in an early round. It will be the greatest day in a lot of their fans lives.

And let's be honest both Man Utd and Arsenal will be absolutely desperate to win it as it's their best chance of silverware this season.

Signs of a failed season for these clubs unfortunately, a consolation prize, and not the meaningful trophy it used to be.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Cups should not be about top teams taking the competition with a pinch of salt, which is what is happening. When Wrexham beat Arsenal in the 90s it was a major shock, and a major achievement. Today's results just highlight how much the top teams don't give a ****. If there was only one "shock" i might have been shocked. Mourinho and Pellegrini wont lose sleep tonight, because the FA cup means nothing to the big teams.

Arsenal will not win the FA Cup by the way :greengrin

Signs of a failed season for these clubs unfortunately, a consolation prize, and not the meaningful trophy it used to be.

Im still going to enjoy MOTD though :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Im still going to enjoy MOTD though :greengrin

What the hell has happened to Robbie Fowler? He looks about 60. Is he ill?

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 09:46 PM
What the hell has happened to Robbie Fowler? He looks about 60. Is he ill?

Sniffing all those white lines must have caught up with him :greengrin

And where is Lineker and his shan beard :grr:

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2015, 09:47 PM
How well did John Stead play for Bradford, that was superb hold up play all game from him and a goal to boot? :top marks

leggeto
24-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Well done big Ben at Bradford, a good all rounder who will play premiership football soon enough

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 09:50 PM
How well did John Stead play for Bradford, that was superb hold up play all game from him and a goal to boot? :top marks

He was v good as was Fileepay Mor - eye - ez, as the commentator called him. I always thought his name was Morr-aaaaay.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Agreed . I think its a poor day for the FA cup, the top teams clearly dont give a ****. They will probably be relieved to be out so they can concentrate on the title run in.

Its sad when in days gone by the FA cup was seen as being as important as the league title.

You no nothing of the FA cup if you think today was a poor day for it!

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 09:55 PM

It's a poor day for the FA Cup because the big teams didn't put the smaller ones out? What a sad outlook on football you have. Whether they're teams were technically weakened or not, both Chelsea and Man City still had some of the most expensive footballers in the world on show today.

In Mourinho's two terms at Chelsea he's barely lost a home game to anyone, I'd love to know how few times he's lost a two goal lead, and they hardly ever lose more than two goals to anyone. Today's result was amazing.

Man City and Chelsea want to win this tournament. Every year it throws up shocks and it is always entertaining.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 09:55 PM
You no nothing of the FA cup if you think today was a poor day for it!

You are just happy that Liverpool caused a shock by being a Premier League team that didnt get beaten off a lower league team :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Well done big Ben at Bradford, a good all rounder who will play premiership football soon enough

Can't see it.

He's 32 now and League 1 is the highest level he has played at in England (actually played not been signed for). He's not even Bradfords 1st choice this season, he's only played in the FA Cup and is behind Sunderlands 3rd choice (on loan) in the pecking order there.

He's a decent keeper but looking at the EPL keepers he's well below the level of every single one of them.

LancashireHibby
24-01-2015, 09:56 PM
You are just happy that Liverpool caused a shock by being a Premier League team that didnt get beaten off a lower league team :greengrin

They would have done if Eidur had put his boots on the right feet!

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2015, 09:57 PM

We need the money from the replay :-)

Sir David Gray
24-01-2015, 09:59 PM

No chance.

He's a very competent goalkeeper and is the best we've had for at least 10 years but there's no way he'll be signed by a Premiership team.

leggeto
24-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Don't think his age will affect his game,he is a safe keeper who hardly makes a mistake think he could do a job for a championship side on the up

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Don't think his age will affect his game,he is a safe keeper who hardly makes a mistake think he could do a job for a championship side on the up

You do know he cant get in the Bradford team, and he's their number 2? Only Premiership teams he'd get in are in Scotland.

leggeto
24-01-2015, 10:07 PM
You do know he cant get in the Bradford team, and he's their number 2? Only Premiership teams he'd get in are in Scotland.

He done Ok in that performance today,who is the other Bradford keeper keeping him on the bench,he must be decent

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 10:09 PM
He done Ok in that performance today,who is the other Bradford keeper keeping him on the bench,he must be decent

Sunderlands 3rd choice who is on loan at Bradford. Jordan Pickford.

Sergey
24-01-2015, 10:11 PM
What a shocking attendance at the Blackburn/Swansea match.

I must admit that it's not a match I would have attended...and both sets of fans seem to agree.

leggeto
24-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Sunderlands 3rd choice who is on loan at Bradford. Jordan Pickford.

Good to see him do well anyway,hope he gets to play in the next round aswell, although I wish we were able to keep him

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Good to see him do well anyway,hope he gets to play in the next round aswell, although I wish we were able to keep him

I think he will play in the next round, he's played in all the previous rounds. Not sure if that's part of their other keepers loan agreement as Sunderland only have Pantimillion and Manone in their squad and don't want him cup tied or whether they have decided to give him the cup games.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 10:14 PM

I must admit that it's not a match I would have attended...and both sets of fans seem to agree.

The Bradford support at Stamford Bridge was bigger than that attendance.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-01-2015, 10:16 PM

Commentator quoted this as the greatest football competition on earth.

Blackburn v Swansea Att: 5,928

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 10:17 PM
It's a poor day for the FA Cup because the big teams didn't put the smaller ones out? What a sad outlook on football you have. Whether they're teams were technically weakened or not, both Chelsea and Man City still had some of the most expensive footballers in the world on show today.

In Mourinho's two terms at Chelsea he's barely lost a home game to anyone, I'd love to know how few times he's lost a two goal lead, and they hardly ever lose more than two goals to anyone. Today's result was amazing.

Man City and Chelsea want to win this tournament. Every year it throws up shocks and it is always entertaining.

If you think top clubs putting out reserve teams in the FA Cup is a good day for football then I think you have a sad outlook on football. The FA have a sad outlook on football and have helped destroy this once magic competition. They are the ones who pressurised Man Utd to boycott their own tournament and play in the World Club cup in 2000 in the misguided hope that would help England host the 2006 World Cup. It was the beginning of the end for the FA Cup.

They play the final at the stupid time of 5.15 pm on a saturday the same day as a premiership games. And a team gets more prize money for coming 18th in the premiership ( and relegated) than they would for winning the FA cup. That is sad - the fact that the big teams dont take it seriously is a sad reality. The fact you can't see that is sad.

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Not often I watch Match of the Day but there were some great results today. Man City were at near full strength and Chelsea had a team out that shouldn't lose a 2 goal lead at home to anybody never mind a team from 2 leagues below.

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Tell you what Mark Schwarzer still looks decent for a guy of 42. Couple of very decent saves here.

leggeto
24-01-2015, 10:26 PM
If you think top clubs putting out reserve teams in the FA Cup is a good day for football then I think you have a sad outlook on football. The FA have a sad outlook on football and have helped destroy this once magic competition. They are the ones who pressurised Man Utd to boycott their own tournament and play in the World Club cup in 2000 in the misguided hope that would help England host the 2006 World Cup. It was the beginning of the end for the FA Cup.

They play the final at the stupid time of 5.15 pm on a saturday the same day as a premiership games. And a team gets more prize money for coming 18th in the premiership ( and relegated) than they would for winning the FA cup. That is sad - the fact that the big teams dont take it seriously is a sad reality. The fact you can't see that is sad.

It is a shame as the fans of the big clubs really want to win it but the club treat it as game time for fringe players,saying that man city had a strong team out and still got turned over,the smaller teams are well up for it (remember Ibrox).
Its the prestige of winning the cup that will come before money for me

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 10:27 PM

Have you even looked at the teams that Man City and Chelsea put out today? Your argument doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

FWIW, I agree with your point about the kick off time of the final, but if you don't think every team entering the competition wants to win it, then I couldn't disagree more.

Today was a great day for football, full stop. It's incredible that you are arguing otherwise, never mind trying to say it's somehow a sad day.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 10:31 PM
It is a shame as the fans of the big clubs really want to win it but the club treat it as game time for fringe players,saying that man city had a strong team out and still got turned over,the smaller teams are well up for it (remember Ibrox).

I agree its a shame. Look at even Tottenham who made 9 changes from their first team that they played in their last league game. The Champions League in its current format has of course also helped ruin the FA cup.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2015, 10:32 PM

Chelsea apparently fielded a team today that reportedly cost them £98 million.

Bradford's team cost them £7,500!

The fact that Bradford beat them 4-2 at Stamford Bridge is a good day for football in my book.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 10:34 PM
I agree its a shame. Look at even Tottenham who made 9 changes from their first team that they played in their last league game. The Champions League in its current format has of course also helped ruin the FA cup.

These teams have multi million pound squads in order to compete in all of these tournaments - they're not just throwing in a few different players to chuck a football match.

Chelsea, Man City and Spurs are all gutted to be put out of the cup today.

leggeto
24-01-2015, 10:35 PM

It must be a money thing or the foreign managers maybe don't care about it ,but if you were to prioritize as a manager you would want to rest the top players for the league

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 10:41 PM

Absolute nonsense. Chelsea and City had extremely strong teams out today. They rested a couple of players because they thought the ties were in the bag-particularly Chelsea. They underestimated their opponents, doesn't mean they weren't fussed about winning it. Mourinho wouldn't have bothered bringing on Fabregas and Hazard if he wasn't fussed. The starting team he put out should have wiped the floor with Bradford.

Chelsea must accidentally be in the middle of a two-legged league cup semi final since they want to deliberately get out out of domestic competitions? Pellegrini needs to win these tournaments if he wants to keep his job.

Today was everything that is still amazing about football and cup competitions.

Prize money is irrelevant. It's huge in the league because of the television deal with sky. Doesn't mean folk don't care about the cup.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Absolute nonsense. Chelsea and City had extremely strong teams out today. They rested a couple of players because they thought the ties were in the bag-particularly Chelsea. They underestimated their opponents, doesn't mean they weren't fussed about winning it. Mourinho wouldn't have bothered bringing on Fabregas and Hazard if he wasn't fussed. The starting team he put out should have wiped the floor with Bradford.

Chelsea must accidentally be in the middle of a two-legged league cup semi final since they want to deliberately get out out of domestic competitions? Pellegrini needs to win these tournaments if he wants to keep his job.

Prize money is irrelevant. It's huge in the league because of the television deal with sky. Doesn't mean folk don't care about the cup.

A very succinct summation of what I've been trying to say across several posts! Your point about the prize money is spot on also.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 10:44 PM

See that's the thing, Chelsea and City were both almost at full strength today. The only reason Chelsea had Fabregas and Hazard on the bench was because they were playing a team that's about 70 places below them! Not because they weren't fussed about winning the game.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 10:48 PM
See that's the thing, Chelsea and City were both almost at full strength today. The only reason Chelsea had Fabregas and Hazard on the bench was because they were playing a team that's about 70 places below them! Not because they weren't fussed about winning the game.

If Chelsea, Man City or Spurs played their starting eleven from today against a lower half side in the Premiership, no one would have batted an eyelid.

leggeto
24-01-2015, 10:50 PM

I believe you should always play your strongest team if fit enough,how much rest do pro players actually need as they are in top condition, a case of don't underestimate your opposition as you might get stung

NadeAteMyLunch!
A very succinct summation of what I've been trying to say across several posts! Your point about the prize money is spot on also.

Haha I've agreed with everything you've said across your posts 😊

Absolutely bizarre that any football fan can't enjoy what happened today(apart from Chelsea and City fans obv).

Man Utd were at full strength on Fri and couldn't beat Cambridge! Not because they don't care about the cup. LVG will be desperate to win it!! Cup shocks happen and we should enjoy them when they do! Place beating Saints was a big shock as well. Doesn't mean Southampton didnt want to win it.

LaMotta
Have you even looked at the teams that Man City and Chelsea put out today? Your argument doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

FWIW, I agree with your point about the kick off time of the final, but if you don't think every team entering the competition wants to win it, then I couldn't disagree more.

Today was a great day for football, full stop. It's incredible that you are arguing otherwise, never mind trying to say it's somehow a sad day.

The top teams are not playing their best starting eleven in the FA cup. I don't see how you can think that doesn't devalue the competition? Of course every team wants to win - but if the top teams REALLY REALLY wanted to win it they would play their best starting team. Indisputable.

Today was a great day for Bradford, Middlesborough, Blackburn and even Bolton - but for football full stop? no chance.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 10:52 PM
The top teams are not playing their best starting eleven in the FA cup. I don't see how you can think that doesn't devalue the competition? Of course every team wants to win - but if the top teams REALLY REALLY wanted to win it they would play their best starting team. Indisputable.

Today was a great day for Bradford, Middlesborough, Blackburn and even Bolton - but for football full stop? no chance.

I completely disagree. Whilst Man City and Chelsea's changes were minimal anyway, don't they have a right to utilise the squads they have spent hundreds of millions on? What's the point in having them, otherwise?

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 10:53 PM
If Chelsea, Man City or Spurs played their starting eleven from today against a lower half side in the Premiership, no one would have batted an eyelid.

Exactly. Chelsea have played Drogba in a few games this season. That's why you have a quality striker in reserve. It's a squad game these days.
Liverpool played a reserve team against Real Madrid. Doesn't mean the champions league doesn't matter any more!

hibbytam
24-01-2015, 10:53 PM

While there's merit in some of your arguments, I don't think any Bradford or Middlesbrough fans will be caring.

If the 'big' teams don't take it seriously, that's their problem. Gives other teams outside of the top 4/5 get a chance to win something. Would be a bit dull if the semis were something like Chelsea, Man City, Man u, Arsenal every year.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 10:55 PM

And with those two highlighted parts you have proved my point that the top teams aren't taking the competition seriously.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 10:57 PM

If Chelsea had been drawn against City in the cup today, both would have played their strongest 11. There is no doubt about that. They would have both been desperate to win. Both managers today picked strong teams that should have won with ease.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 11:00 PM
And with those two highlighted parts you have proved my point that the top teams aren't taking the competition seriously.

You haven't even managed to prove that point yourself.

Jose Mourinho says he feels ashamed - would that be the case if he wasn't taking the tournament seriously?

leggeto
24-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Steven Whittaker sold the pies there

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-01-2015, 11:08 PM

Thats why these clubs have huge squads, to deal with a whole season. Clubs like Chelsea and Man City have players earning in excess of £50,000 a week who are fringe players they have to play sometime. Tbh, Man Citys side today should be able to beat pretty much every team in England as it was a near full strengh team they were simply beaten by a hungrier and more motivated set of players from a lower league, seen Hibs teams beaten on similar ocassions loads of times, nothing to do with the club devaluing the competition.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:08 PM
I completely disagree. Whilst Man City and Chelsea's changes were minimal anyway, don't they have a right to utilise the squads they have spent hundreds of millions on? What's the point in having them, otherwise?

Minimal Changes?

I completely disagree with your disagreement of me agreeing with myself. 13 out of the 22 players that started last week for their first teams were replaced today. That isn't minimal changes :confused:. They are of course entitled to use their squad as they see fit - but it smacks of taking the FA cup lightly, and as a result they were both papped out the cup.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 11:13 PM
I completely disagree with your disagreement of me agreeing with myself.

I did enjoy that :greengrin

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:15 PM

You are both being naive if you don't think the (lack of) FA cup prize money had anything to do with the big clubs playing weakened teams today. Im sure they care about it - just not as much as other competitions.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:16 PM
I did enjoy that :greengrin

:thumbsup:

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 11:19 PM

Disagree. Chelsea put out a side today that was more than capable of beating a league 2 side. They have a big game against Liverpool in a few days(the wee league cup that the big teams don't care about) so if there's an opportunity to rest some legs and be fresh for it then that's what most managers would do. If they had been playing Arsenal for example, then they wouldn't have.

What's the point in spending £200mill on a squad if you can't trust some of them to beat Bradford?!

Barca dropped a few players, including Messi, for a league game recently and they lost. By your argument, they are not taking the league seriously. In reality, the manager picked a team that should have been more than strong enough to win the game. Just like today.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Minimal Changes?

I completely disagree with your disagreement of me agreeing with myself. 13 out of the 22 players that started last week for their first teams were replaced today. That isn't minimal changes :confused:. They are of course entitled to use their squad as they see fit - but it smacks of taking the FA cup lightly, and as a result they were both papped out the cup.

Minimal in terms of the quality interchanged, one multimillion pound player replacing another - that's what they're there for. These are two teams who rotate players on a regular basis in the EPL in any case.

I don't disagree that there are elements of them taking their opposition lightly today - but then these are lower league teams.

All in all, I just don't agree with your point that they are not taking the tournament seriously and don't want to win it. I certainly don't think it's in any way sad for the FA Cup that two of the most expensively assembled sides in the world (even with the changes) were knocked out of the FA Cup by lower league teams.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Minimal Changes?

Be honest, are you trying to tell us that City devalued that game today?! That is absolutely them at full strength! Yaya is away and Hart is often dropped even in the league. Your argument simply does not add up when you see that starting 11

Hibbyradge
24-01-2015, 11:24 PM
The Chelsea players didn't take their opponents seriously today.

Same goes for the Man City players.

Both clubs wanted to progress.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Giant killings are the stories that make the cup not devalue it! Today was a fantastic day for the FA cup anyone that says otherwise hasn't got a clue about what makes the FA cup so special.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Giant killings are the stories that make the cup not devalue it! Today was a fantastic day for the FA cup anyone that says otherwise hasn't got a clue about what makes the FA cup so special.

But they are only really special if they are rare. Days gone by they were rare, because top teams played their best starting eleven, and a defeat from a lower league team was seen as a miracle of sorts. The more "giant killings" that occur, the less each "giant killing" means :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 11:34 PM
You are both being naive if you don't think the (lack of) FA cup prize money had anything to do with the big clubs playing weakened teams today. Im sure they care about it - just not as much as other competitions.

Mourinho is a born winner. I bet he despises even losing a match in training. He's not driven by how much prize money Chelsea FC make from winning a cup. He wants to win each and every competition he sets foot in to add to his own personal career tally. Bet he would absolutely love to overtake Fergie's haul one day. That's the sort of thing that drives him on. That's why they are still in the league cup.

He will be spewing tonight. No doubt about that.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2015, 11:36 PM
But they are only really special if they are rare. Days gone by they were rare, because top teams played their best starting eleven, and a defeat from a lower league team was seen as a miracle of sorts. The more "giant killings" that occur, the less each "giant killing" means :greengrin

Nonsense ask the players and supporters of the teams today and they won't agree

Hibbyradge
24-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Mourinho is a born winner. I bet he despises even losing a match in training. He's not driven by how much prize money Chelsea FC make from winning a cup. He wants to win each and every competition he sets foot in to add to his own personal career tally. Bet he would absolutely love to overtake Fergie's haul one day. That's the sort of thing that drives him on. That's why they are still in the league cup.

You just edited that in time!

He will be sewing tonight...

:greengrin:

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:41 PM

I know Mourinho wanted to win! But he didn't want to win the game enough to play his best team - no argument about that.

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:47 PM
Nonsense Ask the players and supporters of the teams today and they won't agree

Agreed they will have had a lovely day, but the Chelsea, Man City and Swansea fans will soon be over it.

The FA Cup isn't what it used to be and I bet no-one here can, without googling, name the FA Cup finalists of the last ten years. That would have been easy in the 70's 80's & 90's.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 11:47 PM
You just edited that in time!

He will be sewing tonight...

:greengrin:

😂 Thought I had saved it just in time. He might be sewing, who knows. He defo won't have been watching MOTD

LaMotta
24-01-2015, 11:51 PM

He should have played his best team then.

Im sure he will be spewing, but he is spewing ultimately because he took a (mis) calculated risk that his second string ( yet extremely expensive) team would be good enough to beat Bradford.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 11:55 PM
I know Mourinho wanted to win! But he didn't want to win the game enough to play his best team - no argument about that.

I do disagree with that(again). He picked a team that he thought would beat an average league 1 side. If they had been playing the likes of Derby then he would have started Hazard. Not suddenly because the FA cup means more to him, purely because Derby are a better team.

This is the equivalent of Hibs being drawn against Berwick Rangers in the Scottish and Stubbs resting Cummings and giving DjeDje some game time. Maybe trying out Stanton instead of Allan. That wouldn't mean Stubbs doesn't care about the Scottish. It means he thinks we would still be too strong for Berwick with Stanton and Djedje getting some game time.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2015, 11:57 PM
He should have played his best team then.

Im sure he will be spewing, but he is spewing ultimately because he took a (mis) calculated risk that his second string ( yet extremely expensive) team would be good enough to beat Bradford.

This could go on for hours still haha.

I'm away to bed(probably to dream about the ****ing FA cup) 😴

LaMotta
25-01-2015, 12:01 AM
I do disagree with that(again). He picked a team that he thought would beat an average league 1 side. If they had been playing the likes of Derby then he would have started Hazard. Not suddenly because the FA cup means more to him, purely because Derby are a better team.

This is the equivalent of Hibs being drawn against Berwick Rangers in the Scottish and Stubbs resting Cummings and giving DjeDje some game time. Maybe trying out Stanton instead of Allan. That wouldn't mean Stubbs doesn't care about the Scottish. It means he thinks we would still be too strong for Berwick with Stanton and Djedje getting some game time.

Its not the equivalent though is it because you've just described Hibs making two changes and Chelsea made 9!

The point for me is that top clubs are being beaten or matched by lesser clubs far too regularly in the FA cup now for it to be seen as "romantic" or even shocking.

Scouse Hibee
25-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Agreed they will have had a lovely day, but the Chelsea, Man City and Swansea fans will soon be over it.

The FA Cup isn't what it used to be and I bet no-one here can, without googling, name the FA Cup finalists of the last ten years. That would have been easy in the 70's 80's & 90's.

Give it up, your talking more ****** with every post and each time making less sense you know FA about it really.

LaMotta
25-01-2015, 12:04 AM
This could go on for hours still haha.

I'm away to bed(probably to dream about the ****ing FA cup) 

haha too true, i hope you will dream that you are Keith Houchen scoring the winning goal in the 1987 FA cup final - a moment only bettered by signing for the mighty Hibees :thumbsup:

LaMotta
25-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Give it up, your talking more ****** with every post and each time making less sense you know FA about it really.

Go on then, name the FA cup finalists of the last ten years without googling it?

The FA cup is an irrelevance compared to what it used to be.

Scouse Hibee
25-01-2015, 12:09 AM
I can name them for the last twenty years but you wont belive I didn't google them!

AFKA5814_Hibs
25-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Its not the equivalent though is it because you've just described Hibs making two changes and Chelsea made 9!

The point for me is that top clubs are being beaten or matched by lesser clubs far too regularly in the FA cup now for it to be seen as "romantic" or even shocking.

The difference between now and say the 80s is that now the top teams have 2 squads capable of winning things, they have 2 players for every positions, back in the 80/90s they often had 14/15 players that played the whole season.

Tbh, in the past I think clubs have been guilty of playing under strength teams in the FA cup but one look at the teams Chelsea and Man City put out today shows they showed respect to their opponents and those premiership teams should both easily have beaten their opponents.

LaMotta
25-01-2015, 12:16 AM
I can name them for the last twenty years but you wont belive I didn't google them!

correct :greengrin

RyeSloan
25-01-2015, 01:29 AM
Go on then, name the FA cup finalists of the last ten years without googling it? The FA cup is an irrelevance compared to what it used to be.

Tsk tsk you should have googled the winners for the last ten years before posting that....have a look and then tell us the 'big' teams don't take it seriously....

Alex Trager
25-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned.
But it is the only cup rooney has not lifted with UTD.
With that as well as the fact as its silverware you'd think they would be well game for winning it :)

Haha hearts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colr
25-01-2015, 06:22 AM

New Spurs first half showing great fight and determination, digging the ball out each time they lost it. Same old Spurs second half with shoulders dropiing when moves didn't come off and a general lack of spirit. Their a skillful bunch but something is still wrong in the clubs psyche although I think Pochetino is radually changing that.

My wee lad hung about afterwards for autographs and the players just didn 't want to know except Lamella, Capoue and Dembelle. Nugent came out and was chatting to the Spurs fans.

lyonhibs
25-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Are Blackburn fans staying away in protest at this chicken guy they have as a chairman?

About 5000 of them at their FA Cup game by the looks of it!

Scottie
25-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Go on then, name the FA cup finalists of the last ten years without googling it?

That's cause there is TOO MUCH footie on the tele these days.
Back then it used to be a treat to see some footie on the tele but now IMO there's that much I canny be bothered watching half o it.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Not aimed at me but too easy:

Arsenal beat Hull
Wigan beat Man City
Chelsea beat Liverpool
Man City beat Stoke
Chelsea beat Portsmout
Chelsea beat Everton
Portsmouth beat Cardiff
Chelsea beat Man Utd
Liverpool beat West Ham
Arsenal beat Man Utd
Man Utd beat Millwall

Interestingly out of that list despite it being a devalued cup 9 of the 11 winners have been one of the 'big clubs' with only Portsmouth and Wigan being the exceptions. 4 of the beaten finalists in that time (5 if you count Everton who are generally a top 6 team) have also been big clubs. Seems they are taking iy more seriously than people think.

I can do the same for the Scottish Cup as well if you want. No googling required.

andy1875
25-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Old FA cup replays on BBC2 now.

Bristol City v Chelsea and Kevin McCallister playing for Chelsea.

Hibbyradge
25-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Chelsea, and other top sides, rest players against weaker opposition in the league.

They've won the FA Cup 4 out of the last 8. I'd say that suggests they take it seriously enough.

heretoday
25-01-2015, 10:38 AM
It used to be as important to a club as winning the League back in 60/70s. We all remember the great cup finals from Wembley.

Now it just gives the likes of Crystal Palace and West Ham a chance of silverware.

superfurryhibby
25-01-2015, 11:31 AM
That's cause there is TOO MUCH footie on the tele these days.
Back then it used to be a treat to see some footie on the tele but now IMO there's that much I canny be bothered watching half o it.

This.

There's apart of me that hates football and what it's become. Over exposure has led to apathy for me. I no longer watch any live TV game with enthusiasm, excepting Hibs, Scotland and anyone v England in tournament.

The FA cup has been devalued in the same way as football in general. The massive changes in how the game is played, the predominance of foreign players in the Prem, the scheduling to suit TV have all contributed. Still, I was able to avoid knowing the results and sit down and watch MOTD and enjoy the highlights( falling asleep at 11.30). Now how traditional is that?

Scouse Hibee
25-01-2015, 11:32 AM
It used to be as important to a club as winning the League back in 60/70s. We all remember the great cup finals from Wembley.

Now it just gives the likes of Crystal Palace and West Ham a chance of silverware.

Yet rarely clubs like West Ham or Palace win it.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 11:40 AM

Yet since 1994 the only 'smaller clubs' to win it are Everton, Portsmouth and Wigan.

In that time Chelsea have won it 6 times, Arsenal 5 times, Man Utd 4 times, Liverpool twice and Man City one.

If it's chance for the smaller clubs to win a trophy then it's one they are spectacularly failing to take.

CockneyRebel
25-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Yet rarely clubs like West Ham or Palace win it.

I remember Palace knocking Liverpool out at the semi stage when Coppell was manager and they have taken a good few points off Liverpool last season and this season. All teams have supporters who have dreams.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Yet since 1994 the only 'smaller clubs' to win it are Everton, Portsmouth and Wigan.

In that time Chelsea have won it 6 times, Arsenal 5 times, Man Utd 4 times, Liverpool twice and Man City one.

If it's chance for the smaller clubs to win a trophy then it's one they are spectacularly failing to take.

To add to this in the preceding 20 years from 73 to 93 West Ham won it twice, Southampton once, Ipswich once, Coventry once, Wimbledon once Everton once and Sunderland once amd Spurs 5 times.

If anything it's become infinitely harder for a smaller team to have their day in the sun.

Scouse Hibee
25-01-2015, 11:52 AM
I remember Palace knocking Liverpool out at the semi stage when Coppell was manager and they have taken a good few points off Liverpool last season and this season. All teams have supporters who have dreams.

Eh? Totally irrelevant to the point I was making about them not winning it.

emerald green
25-01-2015, 12:15 PM
The arguments about "big teams" fielding weakened sides in the FA Cup aside, and not taking the tournament seriously, I watched the highlights of Chelsea v Bradford and Man City v Boro last night and TBH it was difficult to tell which were the "big teams".

I was very impressed by both Bradford's attacking play and Boro's defensive play. They both looked like decent sides, and maybe there isn't really as big a gap in standards of football between the so-called "big teams" and the rest?

I also note that Mourinho said that he was ashamed and embarrassed by his sides 4th round cup exit. "It's a disgrace for a big team to lose to a small team from a lower league" he went on to say. "Me and the players must feel ashamed". He certainly sounded and looked like he took it seriously.

Anyway, well done and congratulations to both Bradford & Boro.

PS: The crowd at Ewood Park, Blackburn, was very poor, as has been posted already. The empty stands looked terrible on TV.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2015, 02:43 PM
The Hammers take the lead with 9 mins left.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2015, 03:05 PM
1-0 Arsenal - Walcott 2 mins

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2015, 03:31 PM
2-0 Arsenal
1-0 Villa

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2015, 03:39 PM
2-0 Villa

Hiber-nation
25-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Robbie Savage now officially the worst summariser on telly. Just shut up, eh Robbie?

lapsedhibee
25-01-2015, 04:36 PM
What is it I'm not seeing about Ozil that makes him anything better than a quite good player?

tamig
25-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Robbie Savage now officially the worst summariser on telly. Just shut up, eh Robbie?

I like him. Breath of fresh air from that monotone drone Owen.

heretoday
25-01-2015, 05:35 PM

The rich get richer unfortunately. I'd reckon one of the "smaller" teams might win this year though!

Stranraer
25-01-2015, 05:50 PM
A bit late to this thread but it would be great to see Rochdale beat Stoke City on Monday night (BT Sport), assuming Man Utd win they would be the lowest ranked club left.