PDA

View Full Version : Travel Berlin

green&left
24-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Off at the beginning of February for 4 nights with a few mates.

Anyone any recommendations or must do's or see's? Interests being history, fitba food and drink :party: :greengrin

Also Hertha are playing midweek home to Bayern Leverkusen and Union on the Saturday home to Bochum. Easy enough to obtain (cheap) tickets or better buying in advance? Fancy taking in both games as a neutral :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2015, 09:40 AM
I went to a Hertha v B Munich game a few years ago, my mate ordered tickets via the internet and we collected them from a wee hut at the ground. Well worth the effort.

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 09:41 AM
There's so much to do in Berlin you'll never be bored, liking history will mean you are in heaven.

Olympic Stadium
Jewish Museum
Hamburger Banhof Gallery
Charlottenburg Palace
Brandenburg Gate
Topography of Terror
Berlin Cathedral

All particular highlights that I remember although there were others. Also eat as much currywurst as you can, amazing stuff. And you won't go thirsty either, huge selection of beers as you'd expect and plenty bars to enjoy them in.

The_Todd
24-01-2015, 09:58 AM
If you're going to the Jewish Museum or the Holocaust Memorial prepare for airport style security and for the Jewish museuem make sure you have a credit card, driving license or passport if you want to use the audio guide - they use that as a "deposit". This wasn't explained when I paid for the audio guide then I was shocked when I was asked for ID when I picked it up. Luckily I had my credit card with me as I'd left everything else in my hotel safe. The museum itself is huge and fascinating, well worth the visit. You'll be in there for hours.

The DDR museum is also fascinating for a glimpse of life in East Germany, most enjoyable.

Haus am Checkpoint Charlie: you haven't done Berlin unless you've done something Wall-related.

Topographie of Terror.

Brandenburg Tor for your "I'm in Berlin" selfie.

The German History museum also robbed me of several hours one day, didn't even finish it.

For a bit of fun Ritter Sports world is a mini museum dedicated to... Ritter Sports chocolate with a great big shop full of, well you can guess what.

The Reichstag has great views from the top, also an audio guide. As it is a working parliament, again expect tight security and long queues but I thought it was great.

For shopping: KaDeWe, Mall of Berlin, Ku'damm.

If you love computer games, the Computer Games museum is a lot of fun with a lot of playable "artifacts" - from the NES, SNES, MegaDrive, old coin-ops (you don't need coins for obviously) but also does a lot to explain the history of gaming. Good mix of hands-on and reading.

You know what, there's so much I've done in Berlin I couldn't possibly remember it all. Just remember to validate your U-Bahn tickets!

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2015, 01:12 PM
The TV Tower is well worth a visit too.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I watched a Union Berlin game and highly recommend it. Great atmosphere, all standing, you can buy a pint... It's how football should be. Standard isn't great ok (think they beat us 0-2 a in a friendly a of years ago).

There's lots of good pubs and restaurants. I was there in a stag do so can't really comment on the cultural side although I imagine that will be good as well.

Aldo
28-01-2015, 07:51 PM
I was there a couple of years ago and it was superb. Went with good lady!

If your going to travel by a day travel pass - covers trains/trans - cost bout 7 euros and allows travel between 6 am and 3 am but remember to validate it.... There are machines to do this on the platforms. If you don't you might get caught up in a spot check by the transport police (who are usually under cover) and you maybe subject to an on the spot fine.

There is loads to do probably too much to mention......

I ate in different places and used the Tripadvisor app and selected some decent places (took some tips from Hiberlin on here).

Delores - a Mexican near the TV tower

Transit - is an Asian tapas restaurant - which is not far from there. Outstanding food btw but you need to book.

Potsdam Platz is more comercial and as a large Imax etc in and around this area are loads of pubs etc.

I would like to go there with a couple of mates as there are some really good beers there.

Enjoy