PDA

View Full Version : Admiral Nelson

Lago
23-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Cambridge United v Man. U tonight. Could see Nelson playing against Rooney etc.

WillowbraeHibby
23-01-2015, 03:34 PM
One to watch tonight methinks....

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Cambridge United v Man. U tonight. Could see Nelson playing against Rooney etc.

That should be a laugh.

Lago
23-01-2015, 03:42 PM
That should be a laugh.
Now now, one thing he left and never slaged off Hibs unlike some.

snooky
23-01-2015, 03:44 PM
That should be a laugh.

Nae problem tae the big yin. Just tell him to whistle "Ye canny shove yer granny off the bus" ;-)

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 03:49 PM

I don't have anything against him personally but he's not very good and seeing him trying to defend against the likes of Wayne Rooney and Angel di Maria should be somewhat humorous.

Smartie
23-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I didn't mind Nelson. The least of our worries last year.

It was a good bit of business getting big Fontaine in though and I accept it was worth getting rid of him to bring Fontaine in.

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't have anything against him personally but he's not very good and seeing him trying to defend against the likes of Wayne Rooney and Angel di Maria should be somewhat humorous.

Something Man u aren't very good at ;-)

Stewboy
23-01-2015, 04:06 PM
I didn't mind Nelson. The least of our worries last year.

It was a good bit of business getting big Fontaine in though and I accept it was worth getting rid of him to bring Fontaine in.

Dunno, gave all in effort but oil tanker slow and the humping the ball 300 yards straight up in the air didn't do us any favours

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Something Man u aren't very good at ;-)

I keep hearing people saying things like this but they've got the third best defensive record in the English Premiership so far and have let in fewer league goals than Manchester City.

My_Wife_Camille
23-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Maybe not but he took the pish out of us every time he took to the field

GreenOnions
23-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Certainly not one who can be accused of lack of effort. However, the best thing about him was that he made me believe I could still play at the top level. I'm only 48 :hyper

Springbank
23-01-2015, 04:17 PM
If I was being kind I'd describe him as follows.

He was not as bad as Colin Murdock.

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I keep hearing people saying things like this but they've got the third best defensive record in the English Premiership so far and have let in fewer league goals than Manchester City.

Nae Vidic or Ferdinand but still have Smalling and Evans...I ken who i'd have.

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Dunno, gave all in effort but oil tanker slow and the humping the ball 300 yards straight up in the air didn't do us any favours

TBF he was told to hoof it at any given moment - he actually looked alright under Stubbs.

JimBHibees
23-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't rule out Cambridge giving United a game tonight.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Nae Vidic or Ferdinand but still have Smalling and Evans...I ken who i'd have.

There's no doubt about that but you said they couldn't defend and the stats suggest otherwise. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2015, 04:36 PM

:agree: At times they have looked dodgy, but their goals against record is decent. Too many folk listening to idiots on match of the day or sky.

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 04:40 PM
There's no doubt about that but you said they couldn't defend and the stats suggest otherwise. :wink:

Certainly did not, I said they're not very good at it :wink:

LeithBoozy
23-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Good luck to the big man.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Michael is 100/1 for first goal with 365.

33/1 to score anytime.

Must be worth risking 50 or so...:wink:

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Michael is 100/1 for first goal with 365.

33/1 to score anytime.

Must be worth risking 50 or so...:wink:

I've got a fiver on Nelson scoring first and that happening in the second half. 300/1 :greengrin

Lago
23-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Nope dont accept that.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I've got a fiver on Nelson scoring first and that happening in the second half. 300/1 :greengrin

Good luck!

I've backed him at 100/1 for 1st goal and 33/1 anytime.

However, I'm clearly not as confident as you. Both stakes don't add up to a fiver! :greengrin:

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Man utd and under 3.5 goals 6/5.

Titan are giving you a free £20 bet for a £10 deposit :cb

Hibbyradge
23-01-2015, 05:05 PM

Michael Nelson loved playing for Hibs, he gave 100% effort in every game (he doesn't know any other way) and he would have happily stayed at the club.

oconnors_strip
23-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Cambridge United are my English team, was happy when we got drawn against them. Will be a good game and if we can get a draw and get to old Trafford, we could earn about £1million according to the news.

Pete
23-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Poor.

givescotlandfreedom
23-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Tin hat on but I thought he gave his all and treated the club with respect. He didn't pick himself.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Tin hat on but I thought he gave his all and treated the club with respect. He didn't pick himself.

No need for the tin hat.

Mr White
23-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Cambridge United are my English team, was happy when we got drawn against them. Will be a good game and if we can get a draw and get to old Trafford, we could earn about £1million according to the news.

What were your thoughts when they signed the admiral? :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
23-01-2015, 05:54 PM

No tin hat needed, he did exactly that.

weonlywon6-2
23-01-2015, 06:08 PM

👍
haven't got a bad word to say about him,follow him on Twitter and he will communicate with you
good luck tonight big man

oconnors_strip
23-01-2015, 06:17 PM
What were your thoughts when they signed the admiral? :greengrin

Was quite happy to be honest, it was a player u knew all about, he has done well so far, chipped in with a few goals! Hoping to get down later this season to see him and the team

Mr White
23-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Was quite happy to be honest, it was a player u knew all about, he has done well so far, chipped in with a few goals! Hoping to get down later this season to see him and the team

Glad to hear he's doing well :aok:

Bishop Hibee
23-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Gave 100% but so would I wearing a Hibs shirt. Good luck to him tonight but it was players of his quality that took us down.

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Gave 100% but so would I wearing a Hibs shirt. Good luck to him tonight but it was players of his quality that took us down.

Being honest I think that team was without exception good enough to be 6th-8th in the SPL, no question. The only two people to blame for our relegation are Butcher and Malpas and their archaic bullying management style and eye bleeding hoofball.

tamig
23-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Best wishes to the big man tonight.

Stevie Reid
23-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Liked him and wish him well.

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Cambridge support fantastic.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Gave 100% and was subjected to some hefty abuse.

He wasn't very good though, bit of a throwback really, and best for all concerned he's moved on imo. We have a better player in there now and he's playing regularly which he wouldn't be doing at Hibs.

whiskyhibby
23-01-2015, 07:28 PM
He should have scored the first goal, header from a corner, stopped on the United line by a Cambridge player!!!

Lago
23-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Cambridge support fantastic.
Support is fantastic and the team are playing some good stuff, they have players with pace and skill.

HibbyRod
23-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Gave 100% and was subjected to some hefty abuse.

He wasn't very good though, bit of a throwback really, and best for all concerned he's moved on imo. We have a better player in there now and he's playing regularly which he wouldn't be doing at Hibs.

:aok:

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Support is fantastic and the team are playing some good stuff, they have players with pace and skill.

The lad Kaikai looked lively early on. Couple of industrial tackles from Utd to stop him.

Pete
23-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Did anyone see Van Gaal's notepad as he walked off the pitch?

All it had written on it was "we're pish".

AK86
23-01-2015, 07:48 PM
I missed Nelson ' first 3 games for hibs due to work . I read on here how he was just what we had been heading. I took my seat and after 15 mins me and my lad just looked at each other and shook our heads. His distribution was as bad as I have ever seen from a pro footballer. He just hoofed it up the park, any way he was facing. Yes, he attacked the ball as a defender but that was it, full stop. The guy was was honking and I've seen nothing tonight to change my mind.

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 07:49 PM
I missed Nelson ' first 3 games for hibs due to work . I read on here how he was just what we had been heading. I took my seat and after 15 mins me and my lad just looked at each other and shook our heads. His distribution was as bad as I have ever seen from a pro footballer. He just hoofed it up the park, any way he was facing. Yes, he attacked the ball as a defender but that was it, full stop. The guy was was honking and I've seen nothing tonight to change my mind.

Very harsh assessment.

Jim Herriot
23-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Nelson apparently had the best chance of the half. It's somewhat comical listening to BBC radio Cambridge where it's 'United' versus 'the visitors'.

Much speculation that the home team would prefer a draw to a win.

Lago
23-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Cant agree, Cambridge defence playing a well structured and discipline d game, Man. U struggling to put them under pressure.

The_Exile
23-01-2015, 07:54 PM
FFS I'm sure if you asked him if he wanted to hoof it up the park he'd look at you as if you were aff yer heid, he was TOLD to hoof it into the corners, how do folk not grasp this simple fact? Don't get me wrong, he was no world beater and I certainly didn't shed a tear when any of last years team left but some of the criticisms on this thread are directed at the wrong man.

Pete
23-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Very harsh assessment.

Indeed.

He's no Franz Beckenbauer but even he probably would have struggled to hit the targets butcher's teams were giving him.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Nelson apparently had the best chance of the half. It's somewhat comical listening to BBC radio Cambridge where it's 'United' versus 'the visitors'.

Much speculation that the home team would prefer a draw to a win.

I think that's the case with the chairmen and directors of most small teams that are playing at home in a cup tie against a big team.

The money they would make from a replay at Old Trafford would be hugely significant for a club of that size and would be even more than the amount they would receive from a home tie against a team like Reading in the next round.

I don't think many fans would share that view though.

AK86
23-01-2015, 07:59 PM
​he was hoofing it up,the park to nobody long before butcher arrived at us.

Billy Whizz
23-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Watching the saints v dons game instead. Been a really exciting game, and Adam Rooney has just scored a cracking equaliser

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 08:01 PM
​he was hoofing it up,the park to nobody long before butcher arrived at us.

He wasn't, but apart from that - good point well made.

wills
23-01-2015, 08:01 PM

AK I have to agree with most of this, he wasn't, a football player, just an old fashioned CH who could only hit the ball the way he was facing. One thing I will say in his favour is that he never hid and gave 100%

AK86
23-01-2015, 08:02 PM
An honest pro, who was a danger for us at corners. But to kid ourselves he was anything other than a journeyman is stupid.

JimBHibees
23-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Nelson was a decent player for Hibs though like everyone else lost confidence when the clown took over.

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Money making scheme or not..

Ohh how the mighty have fallen..Man u are ****ing garbage!! Pick the bones oot that and yer taking the piss... Man u are nowhere near a top 4 finish ( imo) .Liverpool and Arsenal are miles better than them.

Top 4 right now aye...But they wont remain there...Manchester united have slipped so far behind from being title contenders in recent years its frighning.

Pete
23-01-2015, 08:04 PM
An honest pro, who was a danger for us at corners. But to kid ourselves he was anything other than a journeyman is stupid.

Nobody is denying he was a journeyman.

I just don't think he was as bad as you make him out to be.

Brightside
23-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Man U are awful. LVG is getting away with it based on rep alone.

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Hibees get a mention :hibees:hibees:hibees:hibees

Pete
23-01-2015, 08:06 PM

Kiss of death. 0-3 United guaranteed.

AK86
23-01-2015, 08:08 PM
As a few have mentioned, man utd are honking.
they don't even look that fit. They are 2 nd to most balls and have no guile at this stage at all.

hibsbollah
23-01-2015, 08:08 PM

I agree with AK. Nelson was ****ing woeful for us. He said all the right things and gave his all when players like McGivern self evidently didn't care, but let's not reinvent history.

Stax
23-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Kiss of death. 0-3 United guaranteed.
Aye, Cambridge utd :greengrin, I'm just loving watching the big fella playing against such exalted company.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Is it just me who doesn't think Man Utd have been that bad tonight?

After a nervy opening ten minutes when Cambridge came flying out the traps they have controlled possession and moved the ball fairly well. The kind of performance that will likely see a 1 or 2 nil win and be described as 'professional'.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Money making scheme or not..

Ohh how the mighty have fallen..Man u are ****ing garbage!! Pick the bones oot that and yer taking the piss... Man u are nowhere near a top 4 finish ( imo) .Liverpool and Arsenal are miles better than them.

Top 4 right now aye...But they wont remain there...Manchester united have slipped so far behind from being title contenders in recent years its frighning.

:confused: Genuinely struggling with the part in bold.

More than half the season has been played and Manchester Utd find themselves in fourth place. They are a point ahead of Arsenal and five points ahead of Liverpool.

Can you please explain how you have therefore come to the conclusion that both of those clubs are "miles better" than Manchester Utd?

And if Manchester Utd are "****ing garbage" as you say, what does that make Arsenal and Liverpool, when they're both behind Manchester Utd with just 16 matches left? :dunno:

Northernhibee

After a nervy opening ten minutes when Cambridge came flying out the traps they have controlled possession and moved the ball fairly well. The kind of performance that will likely see a 1 or 2 nil win and be described as 'professional'.

I think they've been really, really sloppy in possesion really.

Jim Herriot
I think that's the case with the chairmen and directors of most small teams that are playing at home in a cup tie against a big team.

The money they would make from a replay at Old Trafford would be hugely significant for a club of that size and would be even more than the amount they would receive from a home tie against a team like Reading in the next round.

I don't think many fans would share that view though.

True. I could imagine them deliberately missing a 94th minute penalty for that reason. What would/could the FA do?

GlesgaeHibby
23-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Think they've been awful. Playing a team that is 75 places below them. Yes, they've had lots of possession but they have done nothing with it and aren't moving it around at pace like they should be.

Nelson has been playing well.

AK86
23-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Surely asking or expecting someone who trains with a ball everyday, to attempt a 10 yard pass to a team mate every now and then wasn't to much to ask.?

Lago
23-01-2015, 08:14 PM

I just don't think he was as bad as you make him out to be.:agree:

oconnors_strip
23-01-2015, 08:15 PM
What a save by Dunn!

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Think they've been awful. Playing a team that is 75 places below them. Yes, they've had lots of possession but they have done nothing with it and aren't moving it around at pace like they should be.

Nelson has been playing well.

Don't get me wrong they haven't been great but Cambridge have made it difficult, the conditions aren't great and not many Premier League teams rock up at these grounds and dish out 5 and 6 goal humpings, they are always tricky ties.

It's not a game I would have expected to be a walkover for them even in the glory days so i don't understand where all the midweek predictions of a demolition came from. I'm sure they will be delighted to get away tonight with a 1 goal victory.

GreenOnions
23-01-2015, 08:19 PM

This, I'm afraid, is spot on. Contrary to what several have said on this thread I think Nelson escaped deserved criticism more than anyone else in the team last year. I can only assume it was because of his 100% effort / give his all for the jersey type appearance but unless he was attacking the ball with his head in the direction he was facing he was no use to anyone on a football pitch.

I'm sure he's a good bloke and yes - I accept he did his best but OMG he is absolutely not a football player in any sense of the word. His chronic lack of pace also affected the way the whole team played by making the defence play so deep to cover for him which made the midfield area so open when the opposition were attacking. That's without even talking about his passing.

AK86's post reminded me of the first time I saw Nelson - at the first home game against Motherwell last season. I was quite enthusiastic about seeing this big new centre half that was so good we'd even paid a fee for him! I too was shaking my head in despair very early in the game at the sheer incompetence of the people making signing decisions at our club. Somewhat inevitably we lost the only goal of that game to the man Nelson was marking (Anier) when the ball was played over the top of our defence by McManus from the centre of their defence - an almost identical sequence of events as what happened at our next home game against DUFC. We also played Hearts at Tynecastle in between and Nelson's man (Patterson - I think) scored the only goal of that game. The pattern continued throughout the season IMO but, incredibly, Jordon Forster seemed to attract more criticism than Nelson :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I agree that he, along with McGivern in particular, was one of the main "Jim Duffy-esque" signings made that contributed towards our abject 2013/14 season. Yes - Terry Butcher pushed us down - but it was only Pat Fenlon's defensive approach that managed to keep us mid-table before that despite the amount of dross he brought to the club.

I'm sure MN is a great guy but I'm afraid that if we're happy to have players of his ability at our club we'll never achieve anything.

Baader
23-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Nelson holding his own against Falcao. Says more about Man Utd than Cambridge or Nelson though.

If there's a more over hyped coach in the game than Van Gaal I've yet to see him. Twenty years ago LVG might have been an exciting appointment but not today - he seems to have bought into his own press too much over the years. Massively overrated.

Gmack7
23-01-2015, 08:21 PM
why is a man utd CH taking the corners?i've never seen that before:confused:

EdinMike
23-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Did we ?! I must have missed it. What was said !?

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Nelson holding his own against Falcao. Says more about Man Utd than Cambridge or Nelson though.

If there's a more over hyped coach in the game than Van Gaal I've yet to see him. Twenty years ago LVG might have been an exciting appointment but not today - he seems to have bought into his own press too much over the years. Massively overrated.

I'd tend to agree re Van Gaal.

His reputation is still based on his innovations and achievements at Ajax 15-20 years ago. His record since then is somewhat sketchy.

AK86
23-01-2015, 08:25 PM
This, I'm afraid, is spot on. Contrary to what several have said on this thread I think Nelson escaped deserved criticism more than anyone else in the team last year. I can only assume it was because of his 100% effort / give his all for the jersey type appearance but unless he was attacking the ball with his head in the direction he was facing he was no use to anyone on a football pitch.

I'm sure he's a good bloke and yes - I accept he did his best but OMG he is absolutely not a football player in any sense of the word. His chronic lack of pace also affected the way the whole team played by making the defence play so deep to cover for him which made the midfield area so open when the opposition were attacking. That's without even talking about his passing.

AK86's post reminded me of the first time I saw Nelson - at the first home game against Motherwell last season. I was quite enthusiastic about seeing this big new centre half that was so good we'd even paid a fee for him! I too was shaking my head in despair very early in the game at the sheer incompetence of the people making signing decisions at our club. Somewhat inevitably we lost the only goal of that game to the man Nelson was marking (Anier) when the ball was played over the top of our defence by McManus from the centre of their defence - an almost identical sequence of events as what happened at our next home game against DUFC. We also played Hearts at Tynecastle in between and Nelson's man (Patterson - I think) scored the only goal of that game. The pattern continued throughout the season IMO but, incredibly, Jordon Forster seemed to attract more criticism than Nelson :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I agree that he, along with McGivern in particular, was one of the main "Jim Duffy-esque" signings made that contributed towards our abject 2013/14 season. Yes - Terry Butcher pushed us down - but it was only Pat Fenlon's defensive approach that managed to keep us mid-table before that despite the amount of dross he brought to the club.

I'm sure MN is a great guy but I'm afraid that if we're happy to have players of his ability at our club we'll never achieve anything.
An excellent summary .
Beware though, you will be attacked by the happy clappers. Because they remember proclaiming him at the time as some sort of saviour.
it was no wonder we got relegated signing this standard of player.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Did we ?! I must have missed it. What was said !?

That Nelson played for Hibs in the SPL last season under Terry Butcher.

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 08:29 PM
:confused: Genuinely struggling with the part in bold.

More than half the season has been played and Manchester Utd find themselves in fourth place. They are a point ahead of Arsenal and five points ahead of Liverpool.

Can you please explain how you have therefore come to the conclusion that both of those clubs are "miles better" than Manchester Utd?

And if Manchester Utd are "****ing garbage" as you say, what does that make Arsenal and Liverpool, when they're both behind Manchester Utd with just 16 matches left? :dunno:

Arsenal are a better football side than Man utd , They have better players...Not my theory,,that's a fact...And that will be evident come the end of the season...What a wager on it ?..

Liverpool IMO will also finish above Man u... Twig you need to stop taking these things personally....Seriously pal..It's all IMO...Arsenal will finish above Man u that's a given..

Man u are garbage.

Arsenal will finish above them.

Stax
23-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Good post, a lot of good points.

He's had that Falcao gadge in his back pocket the night though

:greengrin

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Michael Nelson having a very good game here.

Lago
23-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Michael Nelson having a very good game here.
Loved the way he took the ball off Di Maria's feet in the penalty box, neat.

Pete
23-01-2015, 08:36 PM
#bbcnelson

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 08:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/30734446 - vote here for big Nelson

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Arsenal are a better football side than Man utd , They have better players...Not my theory,,that's a fact...And that will be evident come the end of the season...What a wager on it ?..

Liverpool IMO will also finish above Man u... Twig you need to stop taking these things personally....Seriously pal..It's all IMO...Arsenal will finish above Man u that's a given..

Man u are garbage.

Arsenal will finish above them.

I don't take anything said on here personally.

I wasn't necessarily arguing with your point that Manchester Utd would finish below Arsenal and Liverpool, time will tell with that one. I just don't know how you can say that Manchester Utd are garbage when two teams that you obviously think more highly of are sitting below them in the league table after more than half the season has been played.

They've also beaten both clubs this season.

Lago
23-01-2015, 08:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/30734446 - vote here for big Nelson
Got my vote

HibbyAndy
23-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I don't take anything said on here personally.

I wasn't necessarily arguing with your point that Manchester Utd would finish below Arsenal and Liverpool, time will tell with that one. I just don't know how you can say that Manchester Utd are garbage when two teams that you obviously think more highly of are sitting below them in the league table after more than half the season has been played.

They've also beaten both clubs this season.

Aye mugged Arsenal at the Emirates with one shot on target.

I'l wager anyone looking in Man utd don't get top 4 this season. They are humpty.

Lago
23-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Cambridge keeper has impressed me tonight.

Gmack7
23-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Got my vote
and mine

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Full time; 0-0

Well done Cambridge.

Fantastic performance.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Proper cup tie though. David v Goliath, packed small ground.

Northernhibee
What an absolutely brilliant result and totally deserved.

Mr White
Fair play to the big man tonight he's been part of a defence that have kept 3 of the best players in the world at bay. Great to see a wee stadium like that bouncing as they hold man utd :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
Cambridge keeper has impressed me tonight.

That double save was top drawe as was the one from Falcao.

H18Y GW
It goes to show that as a defender he was fine,those that wanted him to pass like Franz Beckenbauer created the myth.:na na:

Jim Herriot
Ft 0-0 :)

Betty Boop
Well done Cambridge.

Lago
The Admiral gets to strut his stuff at Old Trafford and deservedly so.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2015, 08:49 PM
That Falcao is taking his time getting over that injury, i wonder if Utd will keep him on after his loan deal is up?

Mr White
23-01-2015, 08:49 PM

It's surreal when you put it like that :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
23-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Voted for Nelson as MoM. Man Utd every bit as ordinary as they were under Moyes but with tens of millions more spent.

Baader
23-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Fantastic for Cambridge. I would not be paying Man Utd players their weekly wages based on that.

Jonnyboy
23-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Well played Michael Nelson. Mind and take Falcao out of your back pocket before you go home :greengrin

tamig
23-01-2015, 08:54 PM
An excellent summary .
Beware though, you will be attacked by the happy clappers. Because they remember proclaiming him at the time as some sort of saviour.
Happy clappers? Get a grip ffs.

brog
23-01-2015, 08:55 PM
An excellent summary .

Micky Nelson was a journeyman pro in the twilight of his career when he joined us as a stop-gap signing. No one is saying he was a great footballer but unlike many other players last season he never hid, played through pain & gave 100% every time he pulled on our jersey. If showing respect for a fine man makes me a happy clapper then that's ok by me. I wish him every good fortune.

erin go bragh
23-01-2015, 08:56 PM
What an absolutely brilliant result and totally deserved.

Heard the replay is worth a million to Cambridge .
No too shabby that .

Ggtth

Lago
23-01-2015, 08:59 PM
It's surreal when you put it like that :greengrin
Thanks kind of liked it myself, but I am genuinely pleased for him.

hibbytam
23-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Micky Nelson was a journeyman pro in the twilight of his career when he joined us as a stop-gap signing. No one is saying he was a great footballer but unlike many other players last season he never hid, played through pain & gave 100% every time he pulled on our jersey. If showing respect for a fine man makes me a happy clapper then that's ok by me. I wish him every good fortune.

Exactly this.

I always felt he was a decent defender, but horrid on the ball. Under a decent manager, he wouldn't have to as much as he did here.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2015, 09:00 PM
He was the 3rd best player on the pitch tonight going by the voting.

Decent defender, struggled with passing. Not helped when teams sussed this and left him with the ball and only an option to attempt a world class diagonal - which he wasn't capable of.

Well done big man.

Lago
23-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Perfect summary.

matty_f
23-01-2015, 09:02 PM
He was the 3rd best player on the pitch tonight going by the voting.

Decent defender, struggled with passing. Not helped when teams Sussex this and left him with the ball and only an option to attempt a world class diagonal - which he wasn't capable of.

Well done big man.

It's rubbish when teams Sussex things.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2015, 09:05 PM
It's rubbish when teams Sussex things.

Its thematic mate. That and kebabs.

H18Y GW
23-01-2015, 09:06 PM

:top marks

Smartie
23-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Spot on.

lord bunberry
23-01-2015, 09:08 PM
The 14 players who played for Man Utd tonight cost £308.5m

Stewboy
23-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Fair play to the admiral

Jim Herriot
23-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Heard the replay is worth a million to Cambridge .
No too shabby that .

Ggtth

Just heard their annual revenue is 1.6m and expected revenue from the replay is 1.7m.

rubber mal
23-01-2015, 09:29 PM

Well said brog.

Whatever we think of Nelson's performances for us, he had Falcao in his back pocket tonight. A man who gets paid £300k a week to play football! Well played big man.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Well done big man. Cruised that tonight.

His distribution last season was the worst I think I've ever seen but he got far more criticism than he deserved. It certainly wasn't our defence that got us relegated. Our goals against record was actually quite impressive. We were let down by a chronic lack of goals and creativity and the most inept manager in our history.

Nelson was a perfect scapegoat though.

jacomo
23-01-2015, 09:40 PM

:agree: good luck to him

Northernhibee
23-01-2015, 09:55 PM
michael nelson ‏@mnelse6 (https://twitter.com/mnelse6) 12m12 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/mnelse6/status/558756846111318019) Well that spoiled a fe people's weekend #couponbuster (https://twitter.com/hashtag/couponbuster?src=hash)

snooky
23-01-2015, 11:47 PM

I was never a Michael Nelson fan and said so several times on Hibsnet last season.
However, as brog says, he never hid and I truly believe he always tried his best on the park despite his limitations.

Credit where credit is due, he played well tonight and I wish him and CU all the best for the replay. Well done big man.

Aldo
24-01-2015, 01:36 AM
Wonder if MN will get to keep Falcao for the week cos he owned him Big Time for pretty much the whole 90 minutes.

Well done and well deserved!

Nice little payday for Cambridge Utd!

And defo a coupon buster!!

Centre Hawf
24-01-2015, 02:16 AM
I'm sure MN was a great guy and did give 100% for Hibs but the fact of the matter is he was an utterly honking player. Regardless of what manager was in last season he seemed to concede the same type of goals and make the same mistakes and misplace the same passes. Like someone said, lets not distort the facts and be honest that he played a big role in our relegation.

WellingtonHibby
24-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Guardian..

honorary mentions should go to the two centre-halves, Michael Nelson and Josh Coulson, for their backs-to-the-wall resilience.

sambajustice
24-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Just heard their annual revenue is 1.6m and expected revenue from the replay is 1.7m.

The replay is probably worth more than going through!

If they'd been 1-0 up with 30 seconds to go then they would have been under strict instruction to smash the ball into their own net!!

:D

H18Y GW
24-01-2015, 06:47 AM
I'm sure MN was a great guy and did give 100% for Hibs but the fact of the matter is he was an utterly honking player. Regardless of what manager was in last season he seemed to concede the same type of goals and make the same mistakes and misplace the same passes. Like someone said, lets not distort the facts and be honest that he played a big role in our relegation.

I'd say Jordan Forster and Ben Williams were Gold and Silver on the same mistakes , same goals front .

H18Y GW
24-01-2015, 06:50 AM
The replay is probably worth more than going through!

If they'd been 1-0 up with 30 seconds to go then they would have been under strict instruction to smash the ball into their own net!!

:D

I heard the guy Donnavon as much saying that but not in they words lol , when he said the draw was the result they all dreamed off , Monetary and personally I'd guess.

Loved the comment about swapping shirts , if they did they would have to pay to replace there own .

Aldo
24-01-2015, 06:52 AM
The replay is probably worth more than going through! If they'd been 1-0 up with 30 seconds to go then they would have been under strict instruction to smash the ball into their own net!! :D

Your probably right!!

Think I read in an earlier post that their turnover is about £1.6 million and the replay could earn them upto £1.7 million.

Unbelievable!! :-)

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2015, 09:10 AM
That was just the type of match to suit Nelson's game ... backs to the wall and 100% effort, no pace or silky skill required. He was excellent in that regard, well played big man.

Special mention for the Cambridge fans who kept it going the whole game http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

Argylehibby
24-01-2015, 12:31 PM
FFS I'm sure if you asked him if he wanted to hoof it up the park he'd look at you as if you were aff yer heid, he was TOLD to hoof it into the corners, how do folk not grasp this simple fact? Don't get me wrong, he was no world beater and I certainly didn't shed a tear when any of last years team left but some of the criticisms on this thread are directed at the wrong man.

:agree:

oconnors_strip
24-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Hoping to get a replay ticket! Will be a cracking atmosphere at old Trafford

Hibbyradge
24-01-2015, 10:28 PM
I heard the guy Donnavon as much saying that but not in they words lol , when he said the draw was the result they all dreamed off ,

There is no chance that a lower league professional footballer would sabotage a chance to be in a team which beat Man U.

You shouldn't judge people by your own standards! :wink:

GreenOnions
25-01-2015, 01:54 AM

:rolleyes: Is this laughable or what?

The guy was terrible. Let's just accept it. I don't doubt he has the "heart of a lion" or that he'd "play through the pain barrier" or that he's a "swashbuckling" centre-half. The point is he is no good at football and Jimmy Nicholl (I presume he is the main man responsible for persuading Pat Fenlon to sign him - and Heffernan too for that matter) should be awarded a medal by HoMFC for unrivalled undercover work operating effectively behind enemy lines.

Nelson was an absolute embarrassment in a Hibs shirt despite his best efforts. His contribution to our relegation was identifiable if not definitive and if it wasn't for his grizzled, all-commitment demeanour he would not escape that judgement as much as he has.

truehibernian
25-01-2015, 02:29 AM
Sorry but he was a horrible centre half, terrible footballer and I was delighted when he went - FA Cup throws up romance - sadly Hibs got the divorce end of Nelson - hard ? Aye right - anyone can and should raise your game on national telly - right shame Nelson and Co didn't on Scottish telly v Hamilton !

Utter garbage and delighted he's not at Hibs - sorry to rain on the sentimental parade here !

truehibernian
25-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Keith Houchen scored in a final - he was dross for Hibs - hence FA Cup and Hibs links mean nowt to me - plus Houchen hated fans !

lucky
25-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Nelson is/was a old fashioned CH. His passing was/is poor. But when he's asked to defend on his 18yard line he's sound. The tactics under TB left him looking worse than he is. He showed on Friday why he's had such a long career out of the game.

For those slagging of the Man Utd result on Friday and Saturday they are still in the cup and are now the favourites to win it. Going to the wee grounds in piss poor weather is always a hard task but they still should have won

AK86
25-01-2015, 09:17 AM
The replies on this thread, suggesting Nelson was poor because Butcher made him so are ridiculous.
He was a very limited footballer when wee Pat was in charge? At our club.
Trying to blame all our current woes and position on TB is ignoring all that went on before him and really needs to stop. TB inherited a poor squad of players , both technically and mentally. One man signed the vast majority of them and let them do what they wanted in regards to training and discipline. Yes , TB and MM were a poor team but what went on before them was even worse. It dosent matter how you dress it up, Fenlon conned us all into thinking he had us on the proper course when in reality we were only ever heading to where we ended up.

nelson should never have been near a Hibs team, add to him Taiwo, vine, Tudor jones and many more which the hapless Fenlon did sign. There is a huge list.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2015, 08:20 PM
I heard the guy Donnavon as much saying that but not in they words lol , when he said the draw was the result they all dreamed off , Monetary and personally I'd guess.

Loved the comment about swapping shirts , if they did they would have to pay to replace there own .

That's true.

The Cambridge players were told that if they swapped shirts they'd be fined £40.

The Man U team gave their shirts to them anyway and Michael Nelson's young laddie how has James Wilson's!

Stevie Reid
26-01-2015, 09:02 PM
The replies on this thread, suggesting Nelson was poor because Butcher made him so are ridiculous.
He was a very limited footballer when wee Pat was in charge? At our club.
Trying to blame all our current woes and position on TB is ignoring all that went on before him and really needs to stop. TB inherited a poor squad of players , both technically and mentally. One man signed the vast majority of them and let them do what they wanted in regards to training and discipline. Yes , TB and MM were a poor team but what went on before them was even worse. It dosent matter how you dress it up, Fenlon conned us all into thinking he had us on the proper course when in reality we were only ever heading to where we ended up.

nelson should never have been near a Hibs team, add to him Taiwo, vine, Tudor jones and many more which the hapless Fenlon did sign. There is a huge list.

Utterly ridiculous to suggest that Fenlon was worse for Hibs than Butcher and Malpas. We could have done a lot better than Pat - we couldn't have gotten worse than those two.

AK86
26-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Utterly ridiculous to suggest that Fenlon was worse for Hibs than Butcher and Malpas.
I disagree. Fenlon had 2 years and the signs were not healthy. His signings alone were a joke. The guy was clueless. He couldn't even pick an assistant.
his tactica were a joke. I give you 1-5 and 0-7. The players basically ran rings around him. Butcher was a failure too, I'm not denying , but it all started with Fenlon. It was his team that got relegated.

Stevie Reid
26-01-2015, 09:20 PM
I disagree. Fenlon had 2 years and the signs were not healthy. His signings alone were a joke. The guy was clueless. He couldn't even pick an assistant.
his tactica were a joke. I give you 1-5 and 0-7. The players basically ran rings around him. Butcher was a failure too, I'm not denying , but it all started with Fenlon. It was his team that got relegated.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. It isn't backed up by reality though.

This argument has been done to death, and it shouldn't even be an argument. Butcher took an average, sterile team that was destined for a midtable finish in the SPL (after what would have been a very boring season), and turned them into a complete basket case, that dropped like a stone into the Championship. He was so unbelievably negligent (giving up on his current squad with four months of the season to go) it beggars belief.

Butcher's remit was to improve Hibs - he made us infinitely worse.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 09:39 PM

We wouldn't have been relegated with Pat Fenlon in charge. I obviously can't prove that in any way but I genuinely believe that.

We were a mediocre team that was playing pretty boring stuff under him but I don't think there was any danger that we would have been relegated with Fenlon as our manager.

What happened between January and May 2014 is hard to put into words. It was horrific and Fenlon can't be blamed for that in the slightest.

AK86
26-01-2015, 09:41 PM
You are of course entitled to your opinion. It isn't backed up by reality though.

This argument has been done to death, and it shouldn't even be an argument. Butcher took an average, sterile team that was destined for a midtable finish in the SPL (after what would have been a very boring season), and turned them into a complete basket case, that dropped like a stone into the Championship. He was so unbelievably negligent (giving up on his current squad with four months of the season to go) it beggars belief.

Butcher's remit was to improve Hibs - he made us infinitely worse.
Okay then, they were both absoloute buffoons :greengrin

I just remember watching countless fenlon teams and thinking ". These guys don't have a clue what they are doing. Butcher had them playing for about 5 games then the players put away the tools

GreenOnions
26-01-2015, 11:47 PM
The positive side of this debate is - what a difference it makes when someone who knows what they're doing is appointed as manager!

No point in listing all the dross that Pat Fenlon signed (although even he managed to get one or two right) or in mentioning Butcher's incredible achievement in taking us down.

Better I think to talk about how with less experience and in only six months Alan Stubbs has managed to bring in far more quality than Fenlon managed during his entire tenure, to get us playing football again the way it should be played and to create a real feel-good sense around the club.

Yes - there's still a long way to go but I think most of us believe we've definitely made a good start and going to ER is now an enjoyable experience again.

Smartie
27-01-2015, 10:47 AM
The positive side of this debate is - what a difference it makes when someone who knows what they're doing is appointed as manager!

No point in listing all the dross that Pat Fenlon signed (although even he managed to get one or two right) or in mentioning Butcher's incredible achievement in taking us down.

Better I think to talk about how with less experience and in only six months Alan Stubbs has managed to bring in far more quality than Fenlon managed during his entire tenure, to get us playing football again the way it should be played and to create a real feel-good sense around the club.

Yes - there's still a long way to go but I think most of us believe we've definitely made a good start and going to ER is now an enjoyable experience again.

Excellent post.

I've occasionally defended Butcher because I felt he was only part of the reason we were relegated and it's unfair and unhelpful to blame it all on him. Yes, he got a lot wrong, yes he was culpable but so were several other managers, the players, maybe a very small part the fans but most of all the leaders of our club and especially Petrie.

The Dempster/Stubbs axis is what we've been needing for a while. There's a vision, a trust and no shortage of ability and dedication. Everything else comes from that. It really puts a lot of what went on over the past few years to shame.

It's good to feel optimistic about the future, and I'm very grateful for them for giving us that feel-good factor back.