PDA

View Full Version : NHC The Rangers keeper- The Gambler

Hermit Crab
22-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Steve Simonsen Charged by the SFA for betting on football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30942125

stoneyburn hibs
22-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Steve Simonsen Charged by the SFA for betting on football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30942125 Hope he didn't bet on his own team when we pumped them in the league this season........twice :na na:

emerald green
22-01-2015, 07:18 PM
He's in the company of his team mate Ian Black as far as this is concerned.

I notice that Black was fined and got a 10 game ban (7 of which were suspended - why?). What is it about Black eh?

Hermit Crab
22-01-2015, 07:31 PM
He's in the company of his team mate Ian Black as far as this is concerned.

I notice that Black was fined and got a 10 game ban (7 of which were suspended - why?). What is it about Black eh?

This is slightly different as none of the games Simonsen bet on involved Rangers. Ian black did bet on Rangers games, to lose!

Fat Sally famously said at the time that he had no issue with a player in his team betting on his own team to lose a match. Incredible stuff.

emerald green
22-01-2015, 07:37 PM
This is slightly different as none of the games Simonsen bet on involved Rangers. Ian black did bet on Rangers games, to lose!

Fat Sally famously said at the time that he had no issue with a player in his team betting on his own team to lose a match. Incredible stuff.

OK noted HC. That just makes Black look all the worse IMHO. Footballers can have a bet - no problem - but betting on your own team to lose. Nah.

Indicative of the circus now performing at Ibrox stadium.

Stewboy
22-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Team sponsored by bookies. Playing in cups sponsored by bookies. Yet he is pulled up for gambling????

Wierd

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-01-2015, 08:28 PM
As long as the player is not betting on his own side to either draw or lose, I really don't see why this matters at all.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2015, 08:36 PM
As long as the player is not betting on his own side to either draw or lose, I really don't see why this matters at all.

:agree:

wookie70
22-01-2015, 08:45 PM
I would quite like it to be mandatory for Hibs players to have a couple of hundred on us to win each game.

Mr White
22-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I would quite like it to be mandatory for Hibs players to have a couple of hundred on us to win each game.

They pretty much do in the form of the win bonus. Probably not great odds though with rod writing the contracts :greengrin

wookie70
22-01-2015, 09:01 PM
They pretty much do in the form of the win bonus. Probably not great odds though with rod writing the contracts :greengrin

They don't have less than they started with if they get beat though. To gamble you need something to lose first.

Mr White
22-01-2015, 09:11 PM
They don't have less than they started with if they get beat though. To gamble you need something to lose first.

True but a financial incentive that can be gained or "lost" depending upon performance none the less. If a last minute equaliser deprives hibs players of a few hundred quid bonus I suspect it feels as bad, probably worse than a bet lost in the same circumstances. Maybe the bonus system should work both ways: £x basic plus £y for a win, £x basic minus £y in case of defeat, we are sponsored by a bookie after all :devil:

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-01-2015, 10:59 PM
I imagine at least 50% of pro footballers are putting on coupons regularly. Still, silly to get caught-especially just a year after Black.
Totally different situation to Black betting on his team to lose though. That just sums the little scrote up

essexhibee
23-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Blacks bet was a Rangers win as part of a £5 accy not for them too lose I thought?

Thecat23
23-01-2015, 08:20 AM
It's ridiculous a player can't put a coupon on for another league. Betting against your own team is criminal yeah, but not an Acc of say 5 teams from the English prem.

I can honestly say I know at least 12 players who regularly stick a coupon on with mates.

lord bunberry
23-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Probably because he is part of the football community, he will know loads of other players who know loads of other players.
The integrity of the whole game is damaged by one player.

Insider trading

lyonhibs
23-01-2015, 09:09 AM
SFA disciplinary rule 33 prohibits players, coaches, club officials and referees in Scotland from betting on football anywhere in the world.

This must be the most stupid rule governing player conduct in the entire lot.

So if Simonsen put a fiver on Derby to draw with Bradford and Cheltenham to beat Carlisle, then he's breaking the law??

Piss off. I'll bet any number of 1st team players in the UK bet on football. As long as it's not on your own team to lose, who gives a ****?

If anything, it should be encouraged. Simonsen's performance against us on 27th Dec definitely had the air of a man whose mind was wandering to what he was going to put on his accumulator that night.

JIm
23-01-2015, 01:53 PM
SFA disciplinary rule 33 prohibits players, coaches, club officials and referees in Scotland from betting on football anywhere in the world.

So if Simonsen put a fiver on Derby to draw with Bradford and Cheltenham to beat Carlisle, then he's breaking the law??

Piss off. I'll bet any number of 1st team players in the UK bet on football. As long as it's not on your own team to lose, who gives a ****?

If anything, it should be encouraged. Simonsen's performance against us on 27th Dec definitely had the air of a man whose mind was wandering to what he was going to put on his accumulator that night.

I agree, absolutely crazy although i suppose the argument is they are more likely to have contacts abroad etc who would know about 'bankers'. Anyway i agree with you absolute pish, should IMO be allowed to bet on games outwith the country you play in.

Rules also apply to Scottish FA staff whether full time or casual.

emerald green
23-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Blacks bet was a Rangers win as part of a £5 accy not for them too lose I thought?

One of Black's many bets was on East Stirlingshire to get a draw against his own team, the Rangers, at Ochilview, as part of an accumulator. ES were not only bottom of the league but they hadn't had a draw - never mind a win - in any of their previous eight games.

ES were the worst team in Scottish senior football at that time yet, weirdly, Black bets on them to draw with the team he is playing for. Isn't betting against your own team, for which you are playing, the very essence of disloyalty?

At the time McCoist was quoted as saying he had no issues with Black or his betting. How could the Rangers manager not have an issue with one of his players taking the field having bet on his team not to win the match he was playing in? Makes no sense to me.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 05:03 PM

I don't think there's any question of illegality, in terms of a football player simply betting on a match in another country. It's against the rules of the Scottish FA and the player is likely to face disciplinary action from his employer and/or the SFA but unless the player was suspected of match fixing then I don't believe any laws would have been broken.

Saturday Boy
23-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Have to say that this thread is bit of a let down. When I saw the title, I thought he had released a cover version of the Kenny Rogers song to raise money for them :wink:

Speedy
23-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Probably because he is part of the football community, he will know loads of other players who know loads of other players.
The integrity of the whole game is damaged by one player.

Initially I had the same view as the other poster but you're probably right.

Simonsen could collude with 3 or 4 other players to throw a game while another in the group bets on it.

Future17
23-01-2015, 11:39 PM
One of Black's many bets was on East Stirlingshire to get a draw against his own team, the Rangers, at Ochilview, as part of an accumulator. ES were not only bottom of the league but they hadn't had a draw - never mind a win - in any of their previous eight games.

ES were the worst team in Scottish senior football at that time yet, weirdly, Black bets on them to draw with the team he is playing for. Isn't betting against your own team, for which you are playing, the very essence of disloyalty?

At the time McCoist was quoted as saying he had no issues with Black or his betting. How could the Rangers manager not have an issue with one of his players taking the field having bet on his team not to win the match he was playing in? Makes no sense to me.

I didn't realise this at the time of the revelations - is this documented anywhere?

emerald green
24-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I didn't realise this at the time of the revelations - is this documented anywhere?

What I posted was basically taken from an article written in The Scotsman by Tom English IIRC. Sorry I can't send a link to the article but it's probably still around if you were to search for it on their website.

The article wasn't accusing Black of attempting to throw the game or anything like that. It actually noted that Black scored in the game in question! As I said in my previous post, it just makes no sense (to me anyway).