PDA

View Full Version : HSL Statement

HappyHibby93
21-01-2015, 11:02 PM
http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/latest-news.html#news

Noticed that HSL have made a statement today. Thoughts?

:gwa::gwa:

lucky
21-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Don't understand why they are even bothering to respond. How many Hibs actually belong to either of these groups?

HappyHibby93
21-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Don't understand why they are even bothering to respond. How many Hibs actually belong to either of these groups?

Fair point, maybe because they've been in the press a bit

Glorious St Pat
21-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Fair point, maybe because they've been in the press a bit

Have spoken to a few ex season ticket holders and current shareholders and they both agree that HSL is not a good deal - might as well add a couple of hundred quid onto a season ticket for all the real difference it will make.

No share certificate
No mandate at an Agm
One vote and decisions largely made by an 'independent' board on our behalf.

Was going to contribute but now thinking about buying shares direct.

Iain G
21-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Have spoken to a few ex season ticket holders and current shareholders and they both agree that HSL is not a good deal - might as well add a couple of hundred quid onto a season ticket for all the real difference it will make.

No share certificate
No mandate at an Agm

But its the only way to possibly buy shares in the club through monthly payments.

bingo70
21-01-2015, 11:58 PM

No share certificate
No mandate at an Agm

Of course it's not a good deal. Its shares in a football club.

If it was just added onto the cost of a season ticket then that'd mean it was compulsory to all st holders but at least this way there's an option to those that want to do it.

HappyHibby93
21-01-2015, 11:58 PM

No share certificate
No mandate at an Agm

Fair point, I'd be interested to see if Buy Hibs can come up with an alternative, as of yet they don't seem to have offered much.

Glorious St Pat
22-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Of course it's not a good deal. Its shares in a football club.

If it was just added onto the cost of a season ticket then that'd mean it was compulsory to all st holders but at least this way there's an option to those that want to do it.

It's not so much a 'share' but a vote with an unelected board allegedly taking advice from those that contribute - how they do that I don't know.

lucky
22-01-2015, 12:30 AM
It's not so much a 'share' but a vote with an unelected board allegedly taking advice from those that contribute - how they do that I don't know.

It's not much different to how the Hibs club is run. You join the club and have a vote to elect people to run the club. In HSL you pay your monthly membership fee £18.75 to buy shares in the club and collectively decide on how they shares are used. We have an opportunity to buy 51% of the club. Which would mean we would control the club through our elected HSL representatives. If we did not want any particular individual e.g Kenny McAskil we would vote him of the board of HSL.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2015, 06:50 AM

The board are only unelected just now because there are no members as yet. Once the scheme is up and running there will be a chance to elect a board of the members choosing.

Chuck Rhoades
22-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Their mobile site is terrible. Good statement.

GreenOnions
22-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I think that the following sentence is really important:

"HSL has only one purpose and that is to raise funds to purchase shares in Hibernian Football Club to hold for the benefit of all Hibernian supporters."

IMO - to strengthen and protect the interests and influence of supporters for the longer term two things need to happen: We need to act together and we need to ensure that our share/control of the club is not diluted over time by individuals/corporate entities buying up the shares to form a different power group.

HSLs only purpose is to own shares on behalf of supporters. As such - why would it ever sell shares to another body? If it were to do so it would require the consent of supporters. Decisions will be made by a board but they will be elected by supporters - a representative democracy in other words.

I do understand the attraction of personally holding shares but feel that the HSL model is more effective at securing our ambitions for the longer term.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2015, 10:11 AM
I think that the following sentence is really important:

"HSL has only one purpose and that is to raise funds to purchase shares in Hibernian Football Club to hold for the benefit of all Hibernian supporters."

IMO - to strengthen and protect the interests and influence of supporters for the longer term two things need to happen: We need to act together and we need to ensure that our share/control of the club is not diluted over time by individuals/corporate entities buying up the shares to form a different power group.

HSLs only purpose is to own shares on behalf of supporters. As such - why would it ever sell shares to another body? If it were to do so it would require the consent of supporters. Decisions will be made by a board but they will be elected by supporters - a representative democracy in other words.

I do understand the attraction of personally holding shares but feel that the HSL model is more effective at securing our ambitions for the longer term.

That's an important point that I had not thought of before.

jacomo
22-01-2015, 10:28 AM
The board are only unelected just now because there are no members as yet. Once the scheme is up and running there will be a chance to elect a board of the members choosing.

Fact or Hibs.net fact? I may have missed it, but I've not seen any information re: future set up of HSL board, elected or otherwise. I've asked this question on the HSL Q&A thread.

Given the people chosen to sit on the board of HSL, it is probably unrealistic to expect this to be an activist movement. HSL will be, it seems, represented on the Board of the football club by LD.

However, what it can do is act as an effective block on ER or EM being sold or used as security. This is what some Rangers fans are desperately trying to put in place now as they are alarmed by Ibrox being put up as security on loans.

If you are in any way worried about a future 'asset strip', a strong HSL would be a good way of preventing this.

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Fact or Hibs.net fact? I may have missed it, but I've not seen any information re: future set up of HSL board, elected or otherwise. I've asked this question on the HSL Q&A thread.

Given the people chosen to sit on the board of HSL, it is probably unrealistic to expect this to be an activist movement. HSL will be, it seems, represented on the Board of the football club by LD.

However, what it can do is act as an effective block on ER or EM being sold or used as security. This is what some Rangers fans are desperately trying to put in place now as they are alarmed by Ibrox being put up as security on loans.

If you are in any way worried about a future 'asset strip', a strong HSL would be a good way of preventing this.

HSL is a Company limited by guarantee.

Members of such a company have voting power. As such, they have the power to hire and fire their Board.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2015, 10:39 AM
HSL is a Company limited by guarantee.

Members of such a company have voting power. As such, they have the power to hire and fire their Board.

And this was explained to those who attended the recent LWT meeting.
A board has been put in place for the launch but it's really up to the members who stays on the board and who joins in the future.
I suspect some of the people currently on the board only intend to stay on their for the first year or so anyway.

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2015, 10:47 AM
For those who have the time, and a couple of £, the Memorandum and Articles of Association are on the Companies House website. Its internal rules are contained in those.

For those who suggest otherwise, the directors as already disclosed are registered with CH. There are no others.

Mikey
22-01-2015, 10:48 AM
And this was explained to those who attended the recent LWT meeting.
A board has been put in place for the launch but it's really up to the members who stays on the board and who joins in the future.
I suspect some of the people currently on the board only intend to stay on their for the first year or so anyway.

Yep. If people are concerned about LD's inclusion she can be voted off once it's up and running.