AngusHibby
21-01-2015, 06:38 PM
On a hat trick for Sporting Lisbon

frazeHFC
21-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Fair play to the lad!

StarMan10
21-01-2015, 06:41 PM
2 goals in the first 20 minutes of his full debut. Not too shabby.

Del Boy
21-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Best young scottish player in years

Pretty Boy
21-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Obviously you need the option to go there but more young Scottish players should go abroad rather than the safe option of Celtic or English Championship.

Gauld will benefit in the short, medium and long term from experiencing a different culture, lifestyle and approach to football. Good luck to him.

Frazerbob
21-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Ryan's girlfriend works for me. From what she has told me, the set up at Sporting is unbelievable. It's all about the way of life. No boozing tolerated at all. 24/7 nutritionists, personal trainers, personal skill development mentors etc. He's absolutely loving it. Think the weather might have something to do with it.

1875Sean
21-01-2015, 07:02 PM
2 goals in the first 20 minutes of his full debut. Not too shabby.

Not his full debut started the last round in the cup for sporting

stoneyburn hibs
21-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Obviously you need the option to go there but more young Scottish players should go abroad rather than the safe option of Celtic or English Championship.

Gauld will benefit in the short, medium and long term from experiencing a different culture, lifestyle and approach to football. Good luck to him.

Aye good luck to him. I think we sell ourselves short sometimes in Scotland, not lots but a few Scottish talents over the last couple of years could have made it abroad. Scott Allan is a good example, as is Archibald and GMS. I don't know if its a case of their agents just not doing their jobs properly.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Cracking player

Stuarty27
21-01-2015, 07:30 PM
He came off the bench in the league and nutmegged a defender and set up a goal

Alex Trager
22-01-2015, 07:00 AM
I reckon the more that go to the continent, and further, the better a chance we have as a nation in tournaments.

The better grasp on other countries football, that we have, the better the chance.

So all I would say to GMS for example, is tear up your contract with the tims, and get yourself an agent who will get you abroad.

If you want a reason for that, look at the england team's success, or lack of, at world cups.

They crack on about how the PL is the best league in the world- quality wise, it most certainly is not- but their youngsters struggle to get a game, and if they do they are playing in a very competitive league, but imo, a very restrictive league.
If you want a better chance you need to get abroad and experience the culture other countries have surrounding football. You need to know the way they play their stuff.
It really is that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
22-01-2015, 07:58 AM
It does my nut in when I read about Scottish players who sometimes even struggle to settle in England because they are too far away from their mates at home. We need more scottish talent to move abroad and play for well run teams in Europe. Footballers need to realise they have to become elite athletes to realise their potential. Too many think they have made it if they get to play in the SPL. I wish more scottish footballers had Andy Murrays dedicated and professionalism to their chosen sport.

Looks like Gauld is going about things the right way..let's hope he is not bought and benched by some EPL side in the next 18 months.

Aldo
22-01-2015, 08:03 AM
It does my nut in when I read about Scottish players who sometimes even struggle to settle in England because they are too far away from their mates at home. We need more scottish talent to move abroad and play for well run teams in Europe. Footballers need to realise they have to become elite athletes to realise their potential. Too many think they have made it if they get to play in the SPL. I wish more scottish footballers had Andy Murrays dedicated and professionalism to their chosen sport. Looks like Gauld is going about things the right way..let's hope he is not bought and benched by some EPL side in the next 18 months.

Spot on! I also think there is a lot to do with the player and his attitude.

In many respects we are decades behind other European countries in respect of player development both on and off the pitch.

As you have mentioned it takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice to succeed as a sportsperson these days with a very fine line between success and failure.

Good luck to the lad!

easty
22-01-2015, 08:04 AM
I reckon the more that go to the continent, and further, the better a chance we have as a nation in tournaments.

The better grasp on other countries football, that we have, the better the chance.

So all I would say to GMS for example, is tear up your contract with the tims, and get yourself an agent who will get you abroad.

If you want a reason for that, look at the england team's success, or lack of, at world cups.

They crack on about how the PL is the best league in the world- quality wise, it most certainly is not- but their youngsters struggle to get a game, and if they do they are playing in a very competitive league, but imo, a very restrictive league.
If you want a better chance you need to get abroad and experience the culture other countries have surrounding football. You need to know the way they play their stuff.
It really is that simple.

As far as the media reporting goes, GMS had Celtc or League 1 in England as options. I think some people are being quite unfair towards him and his choice. Choosing Celtc over Sheff Utd doesn't show a lack of ambition.

heretoday
22-01-2015, 08:13 AM
It does my nut in when I read about Scottish players who sometimes even struggle to settle in England because they are too far away from their mates at home. We need more scottish talent to move abroad and play for well run teams in Europe. Footballers need to realise they have to become elite athletes to realise their potential. Too many think they have made it if they get to play in the SPL. I wish more scottish footballers had Andy Murrays dedicated and professionalism to their chosen sport.

Looks like Gauld is going about things the right way..let's hope he is not bought and benched by some EPL side in the next 18 months.

Sounds like he's a fully formed adult who has realised that his skills can be traded in nicer parts of the world than Dundee.

portycabbage
22-01-2015, 08:19 AM

I think they'd have to pay the buy-out clause which is about 50 million IIRC, you'd think they'd have to play him then! Great that a Scottish player is doing well further afield than the England though.

worcesterhibby
22-01-2015, 08:52 AM
I think they'd have to pay the buy-out clause which is about 50 million IIRC, you'd think they'd have to play him then! Great that a Scottish player is doing well further afield than the England though.

I'd forgotten about the buy out clause…good point !

Alex Trager
22-01-2015, 09:42 AM
As far as the media reporting goes, GMS had Celtc or League 1 in England as options. I think some people are being quite unfair towards him and his choice. Choosing Celtc over Sheff Utd doesn't show a lack of ambition.

Of course. But Id try and get a gig abroad. For the betterment of my career.

Financially I can see the advantages of plying the trade on these isles. It wouldn't be my choice though

Dropkick Murphy
22-01-2015, 10:03 AM

IIRC the but out clause only means that any bid of that price must be accepted by Lisbon. They could still sell him for less than that providing both clubs agree (like a normal transfer).

Future17
22-01-2015, 10:12 AM
The first goal was a tap-in (although you have to be there to score them of course) but the second was very good. A delayed give and go with nicely controlled right foot volley into the bottom corner.

He probably should've had a hat-trick, but hit a left foot shot straight at the keeper - still showed a willingness to take it first time on his weaker foot though.

Sporting lost the game 3-2, which is a shame because I think all his previous starts have been in the league cup and they are now out. They were also cheated quite badly as the first Belenenses goal shouldn't have counted and the winning penalty was dubious at best.