PDA

View Full Version : SPFL Trap Door 2014-2015

Turkish Green
20-01-2015, 02:26 PM
At the end of this season the bottom club in Div 2 (currently Elgin City) will go into Play-off games with the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues; currently Brora Rangers and Edinburgh City.

Has the SFA/SPFL published the format for the Play-offs and if successful do Brora or City need to pass ground criteria tests to gain entry to Div 2?

Craig_HFC
20-01-2015, 02:28 PM
At the end of this season the bottom club in Div 2 (currently Elgin City) will go into Play-off games with the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues; currently Brora Rangers and Edinburgh City.

Has the SFA/SPFL published the format for the Play-offs and if successful do Brora or City need to pass ground criteria tests to gain entry to Div 2?

Sure I read somewhere that Brora will reject the opportunity to join the SPFL and opt to stay in the Highland League if they win their league.

Turkish Green
20-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Sure I read somewhere that Brora will reject the opportunity to join the SPFL and opt to stay in the Highland League if they win their league.
Then is it up to the Highland League to propose a team; say Turriff United to partake in the play-offs if Brora are league winners or will it just be games against the winner of the lowland League, which unbeaten Edinburgh City are currently running away with.

The pyramid system does make it interesting.

jacomo
20-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Then is it up to the Highland League to propose a team; say Turriff United to partake in the play-offs if Brora are league winners or will it just be games against the winner of the lowland League, which unbeaten Edinburgh City are currently running away with.

The pyramid system does make it interesting.

I think the pyramid reforms don't go far enough. If a team declines the opportunity to play at a higher level (because of travelling costs, loss of local derbies and fewer fans wanting to go long distances to follow their team) then alarm bells should be ringing.

My own view is for two national leagues (16 teams in each) with North / South below that.

Stewboy
20-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Given the crowds which go to Highland League, Linlithgow Rose, teams through the west games I think the teams in Div 2 should be asking to join their leagues....

Future17
20-01-2015, 03:25 PM

My understanding was that the winners of the Highland and Lowland Leagues play each other and the winners play the side who finish bottom of Division 2.

ronaldo7
20-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Brora have already beaten Edinburgh City in the cup 3-2 but they looked a far better outfit over the 90.

City will have to up their game if they're to succeed.

NadeAteMyLunch!
20-01-2015, 08:02 PM
If a central team were to finish bottom of league 2 then get beat by Brora, where do they go?? They are hardly going to join the highland league. That would literally be the worst relegation ever lol

Saturday Boy
20-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Brora have already beaten Edinburgh City in the cup 3-2 but they looked a far better outfit over the 90.

i was at that match. I think the number of ex Ross County and ICT players helped Brora. Tokeley certainly hasn't lost his touch..........hoooooof!!!!

ronaldo7
20-01-2015, 08:06 PM
i was at that match. I think the number of ex Ross County and ICT players helped Brora. Tokeley certainly hasn't lost his touch..........hoooooof!!!!

And the Broro left winger was a diving wee scrote.:greengrin

And I bet the Piper stayed to the end:greengrin

Saturday Boy
20-01-2015, 08:09 PM
I think that was the first time I'd ever seen anyone dive like that at non league level. IfI close my eyes I can still hear him squeal.

bob12345
20-01-2015, 09:53 PM
If a central team were to finish bottom of league 2 then get beat by Brora, where do they go?? They are hardly going to join the highland league. That would literally be the worst relegation ever lol

Presume they'll go to the Lowland League. These leagues can invite in new clubs to make up any uneven numbers. The Lowland League is growing each year anyway. The nightmare would be if a team like Montrose went down - a trek to all games whichever league they join.

dangermouse
21-01-2015, 06:38 AM

And I bet the Piper stayed to the end:greengrin

I was there as well. City got off to a good start but then fell out the game. If these two end up playing each other my money would be on Brora. Shame as I'd like to see City in League Two as I detest Spartans and they are nowhere this season :greengrin

Turkish Green
21-01-2015, 07:02 AM

Presume they'll go to the Lowland League. These leagues can invite in new clubs to make up any uneven numbers. The Lowland League is growing each year anyway. The nightmare would be if a team like Montrose went down - a trek to all games whichever league they join.

I believe it will work similar to the Conference North and South in England. If it is Clyde or East Stirlingshire that drops down from Div 2 then they will go to the Lowland League. If it is Elgin City they will go to the highland League.

However, if it is Montrose then they will need to decide on travel distances involved. Maybe easier to travel by road to the south than to the north and also maybe easier to win the Lowland League than the Highland League.

My money is on Bazza to bollox it at Clyde, who all the weegia pundits were tipping to win the league.

Of course all the above assumes that whichever team finishes bottom of Div 2 will lose the Play-off.