PDA

View Full Version : Cefti, GMS and now Armstrong

Billy Whizz
19-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Wonder if Celtic are trying to dismantle Dundee Utd. Wonder how long until Jackie is their manager

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-step-up-bid-sign-5006997

Michael
19-01-2015, 11:18 PM
No doubt they'll be complaining about a 'lack of competition' pretty soon.

Ronniekirk
19-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Wonder if Celtic are trying to dismantle Dundee Utd. Wonder how long until Jackie is their manager

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-step-up-bid-sign-5006997
Can't get link to open but your post probably sums it up Billy They are maybe making sure that if they need to punt Delia then it makes the Transition for jackie easier if he was then offered the job .

kentao
20-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Can't get link to open but your post probably sums it up Billy They are maybe making sure that if they need to punt Delia then it makes the Transition for jackie easier if he was then offered the job .

RECORD Sport understands the Hoops have approached the Tannadice outfit about the 22-year-old with a view to signing him in the January transfer window.

Celtic last night stepped up their bid to land £2.5m-rated Dundee United (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/dundee-united-fc) ace Stuart Armstrong.Record Sport understands the Hoops have approached the Tannadice outfit about the 22-year-old midfielder with a view to landing him in this month’s transfer window.
Armstrong has had a stand-out season and Celtic boss Ronny Deila (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/ronny-deila) compared him with German World Cup winner Thomas Muller.
The champions have already secured United ace Gary Mackay-Steven on a pre-contract agreement (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/departing-dundee-united-star-gary-4993927), with the 24-year-old due to join in summer.
With GMS a free agent at the end of the season, no cash has to change hands but Armstrong would command a hefty fee.
He has 18 months left on his contract and United manager Jackie McNamara (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/jackie-mcnamara) insists the club want the going rate for his prized asset. The approach for Armstrong came as Deila apologised to McNamara for speaking publicly about his pursuit of Mackay-Steven before he’d tied up a deal.
McNamara last week blasted the Norwegian for going public on his interest in the player. But Deila yesterday insisted he had not meant to cause offence but was following the protocol used in Norway.
However, he offered an olive branch to former Celtic skipper McNamara and said: “I just have to say sorry if that offended him.
“This is a rule that I haven’t heard before so I have to learn from this. I was at a smaller cub in Norway and everybody wanted my players. But I was happy they wanted my players because that meant I did something well.
“But if he didn’t like it, I have to apologise and think about it the next time.”
Celtic may try to bring Mackay-Steven to the club before the end of the transfer window.
But that will depend on a deal being struck and Deila said: “This is not up to us. We know he is coming in summer and it’s too early to say something else.”
Deila, whose team faces Motherwell at Celtic Park tomorrow night, insisted Kris Commons can still be a Hoops star next season – because he wants to stay (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-back-ronny-deilas-plan-5001715).
The Celtic manager believes Commons would be out the door this month if he and the attacker wanted a parting of ways.

But Deila is adamant that is not what either side wants and he is still hopeful a deal will be struck.
Commons appeared to signal his time at Celtic was up after chucking his boots into the crowd at Hamilton on Saturday.
The player wants a
two-year deal and the Hoops are prepared to commit for only one – unless Commons signs a pre-contract elsewhere.
Deila said: “The situation is the same. We are talking together and will see if something can be agreed.
“I still think a deal can be done. He still has to perform like we all have to do. It works both ways.
“He’s a very good player and we’ll see if we can extend his stay for longer.
“The situation is clear. We want him and he wants to stay – it’s all about the contract.
“It’s hard to say how apart we are but we’re not agreeing.
“So we’ll see but we’re
in negotiations. It’s a
possibility because we want to keep him.
“If I didn’t want him and he didn’t want to stay it would be finished now.
“He’s not leaving in January. We have to win
the league.
“He’s a good player and we want to keep the best ones here.”

Pretty Boy
20-01-2015, 01:22 PM
They are rumoured to be after the goalkeeper (Cernziak?) in the summer as well.

I thought they had stopped the poaching of other teams best players as it's been a while but looks like I was wrong.

itslegaltender
20-01-2015, 01:24 PM

I thought they had stopped the poaching of other teams best players as it's been a while but looks like I was wrong.

The UTD keeper is a clown, costs them a goal every other game.

Andy74
20-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Nothing wrong with it.

I'd be happy if we were taking the best players from the likes of Falkirk and Queen of the South.

Pretty Boy
20-01-2015, 01:28 PM
The UTD keeper is a clown, costs them a goal every other game.

Wouldn't disagree with that.

If that move led to Dundee Utd getting Zaluska back as a free agent I think Utd have got the better deal.

Cracking penalty save against us mind you.....

Pretty Boy
20-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Nothing wrong with it.

I'd be happy if we were taking the best players from the likes of Falkirk and Queen of the South.

Nothing wrong with it. That's the game these days.

It's very frustrating when they are able to flex their considerable financial muscle at the expense of any real competition though.

Pete
20-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Nothing wrong with it.

That's a very short sighted way of looking at things. I don't like ourselves, or anyone, poaching players.

Competition needs to be increased for the game to survive and this "make the OF strong and the rest will feel the benefit" won't wash any more. People will just find something else to do and the game will die unless we take radical steps to increase competition.

Billy Whizz
20-01-2015, 04:37 PM
That's a very short sighted way of looking at things. I don't like ourselves, or anyone, poaching players.

Competition needs to be increased for the game to survive and this "make the OF strong and the rest will feel the benefit" won't wash any more. People will just find something else to do and the game will die unless we take radical steps to increase competition.

Peter, I agree that we need much more competition, but clubs like Celtic are finding it difficult to bring in players from any large country due to wages and transfer fees. Out TV deal is a pittance, and until this is rectified, they will continue to take the best scottish players, as they will fit into their wage structure.

ekhibee
20-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't disagree with that.

If that move led to Dundee Utd getting Zaluska back as a free agent I think Utd have got the better deal.

Cracking penalty save against us mind you.....
Not sure if that would happen in view of the 'incident' involving Paton, Wilson et al. Would be interesting though lol

Andy74
20-01-2015, 04:46 PM

It's just buying players or signing them when they are free to do so.

What woukd you do? Tell certain teams who they can and can't buy players from?

If we were in a position to buy or sign players from competitors then that would be great.

It's not short sighted. It's just a normal operation of the player market.

Pete
20-01-2015, 05:27 PM
It's just buying players or signing them when they are free to do so.

What woukd you do? Tell certain teams who they can and can't buy players from?

If we were in a position to buy or sign players from competitors then that would be great.

It's not short sighted. It's just a normal operation of the player market.

What would I do? :greengrin

I think the game in Scotland needs a total overhaul to make it competitive. Billy mentioned an increased TV deal but that will result in the same thing: two Glasgow clubs being disproportionally bigger than everyone else.

We need proper wealth distribution and that means shared gate money. I would have a percentage of all money taken from fans set aside into a pot and distributed among all the clubs in the league. I would even go as far as finding out where the money came from and giving it to nearest club to the customers postcode. Some of the money from football fans from a certain area should be used to help their local team and it would go some way towards redressing the balance caused by pure and simple glory hunting.

Better wages could be paid by everyone else and with that comes the thing that keeps the game alive: hope. Celtic and Rangers have always been disproportionally bigger and nicked players but the difference in the modern age is that there are more options for the disgruntled fans of other teams. How many United fans will think "what's the point?" after this?

Right now it's individual business within the framework of a league and that isn't going to work any more. It needs to be the league and competition first and individual entities must come second. This is a sport after all.

Hannah_hfc
20-01-2015, 05:45 PM
We need proper wealth distribution and that means shared gate money. I would have a percentage of all money taken from fans set aside into a pot and distributed among all the clubs in the league. I would even go as far as finding out where the money came from and giving it to nearest club to the customers postcode. Some of the money from football fans from a certain area should be used to help their local team and it would go some way towards redressing the balance caused by pure and simple glory hunting

As much as I agree with your general point of Scottish football needing an overhaul, the above measure would result in me paying money to Aberdeen, and as of next week, Rangers, I'm not paying to watch these clubs and id be disgusted that my money would be going towards them. I'll happily pay a ticket to see Hibs if I feel my money will go directly towards the club and it's own activitys.

I think what's needed is what Hibs are doing right now and reaching out to the immediate community. When I was 10 it just took my dad taking me to a Hibs game at ER and buying me a scarf and I was instantly hooked on Hibs (despite us loosing that first game).

Not that every 10 year old is like me, but if you involve enough youngsters and people in the nearby community then I'd like to think they'll take an interest in the club and in time follow the team. It's not like either of the OF will be reaching out to areas of Edinburgh / Dundee/ Aberdeen/ Inverness to gain supporters.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2015, 05:57 PM
We are often reminded that football is a business. Well if there were a lack of competition in a regulated market the regulators would step in - monopolies and duopolies would be challenged.

Only in football they don't step in not for fraud/corruption, ensuring grass roots prosper or threats to the sustainability of the game.

So if the football authorities aren't about these things what are they about? ruling on red cards/rejecting reasonable proposals for sensible measures such as goal line technology and temp marking of yards for free kicks...

Empires eventually start to crumble tho' ...

lord bunberry
20-01-2015, 06:00 PM

It's very frustrating when they are able to flex their considerable financial muscle at the expense of any real competition though.

There is nothing wrong with it, the problem is when they come out and complain about the rest of the clubs costing them any chance of doing well in Europe like they did earlier this season.

Pete
20-01-2015, 06:30 PM
As much as I agree with your general point of Scottish football needing an overhaul, the above measure would result in me paying money to Aberdeen, and as of next week, Rangers, I'm not paying to watch these clubs and id be disgusted that my money would be going towards them. I'll happily pay a ticket to see Hibs if I feel my money will go directly towards the club and it's own activitys.

I think what's needed is what Hibs are doing right now and reaching out to the immediate community. When I was 10 it just took my dad taking me to a Hibs game at ER and buying me a scarf and I was instantly hooked on Hibs (despite us loosing that first game).

Not that every 10 year old is like me, but if you involve enough youngsters and people in the nearby community then I'd like to think they'll take an interest in the club and in time follow the team. It's not like either of the OF will be reaching out to areas of Edinburgh / Dundee/ Aberdeen/ Inverness to gain supporters.

Hibs and the rest of Scottish football would benefit and there would be two clear losers. A percentage of your money might indeed go to these teams but it would be more than offset by money going from old firm fans to their local team.

Kids don't just follow teams that win or are local to them....they like teams that have a hope of some success.

Pete
20-01-2015, 06:31 PM
There is nothing wrong with it, the problem is when they come out and complain about the rest of the clubs costing them any chance of doing well in Europe like they did earlier this season.

Did the Celtic manager say something like "this will strengthen Scottish football"?

Unbelievable.

Matty_Jack04
20-01-2015, 06:36 PM

I agree there's nothing wrong with it and that its part and parcel of the game but what I do find frustrating is when they pick up these players for free but then spend millions on foreign duds, celtic are financially massive compared to the rest of us but the money just flies out the scottish game as quick as they make it

hibs0666
20-01-2015, 06:41 PM
I agree there's nothing wrong with it and that its part and parcel of the game but what I do find frustrating is when they pick up these players for free but then spend millions on foreign duds, celtic are financially massive compared to the rest of us but the money just flies out the scottish game as quick as they make it

Much better that their cash is spread in Scotland than elsewhere.

Matty_Jack04
20-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Much better that their cash is spread in Scotland than elsewhere.

That's my point they wait it out until the contracts running out make their interest known then DU don't have a leg to stand on during contract talks, sign him for free then go spend the SPFL/Europa prize money on players like bangura etc all the money made by the old firm has left the game here and one of the reasons why we're all in dire straights

Lago
20-01-2015, 08:13 PM
That's my point they wait it out until the contracts running out make their interest known then DU don't have a leg to stand on during contract talks, sign him for free then go spend the SPFL/Europa prize money on players like bangura etc all the money made by the old firm has left the game here and one of the reasons why we're all in dire straights
Frankly nothing has changed in all the time I've supported Hibs and thats a long time, Colin Stein to Rangers being the first big disappointment and many more have followed.
If I am honest it is the same in every league, the rich get richer at the expense of the rest. Bonnie from Swansea to Man City anyone.
Do I expect it to change, no I dont.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-01-2015, 11:30 AM

They have always done it haven't they? they haven't got the cash to buy anywhere else and they know the lure of a possible fan will be enough to sway it,I think they are getting paranoid about the sheep's push for the title, this is typical of them, surprised they haven't been sniffing around us.

Jim44
21-01-2015, 11:43 AM
They have always done it haven't they? they haven't got the cash to buy anywhere else and they know the lure of a possible fan will be enough to sway it,I think they are getting paranoid about the sheep's push for the title, this is typical of them, surprised they haven't been sniffing around us.

According to another thread, they are!

PeeJay
21-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Frankly nothing has changed in all the time I've supported Hibs and thats a long time, Colin Stein to Rangers being the first big disappointment and many more have followed.
If I am honest it is the same in every league, the rich get richer at the expense of the rest. Bonnie from Swansea to Man City anyone.

Spot on - remember Stein going too (he then scored 3 against us, making it even worse!) - here in Germany, Bayern, in particular, buy up all the best players from their main challengers (used to be Dortmund :greengrin) ... not just a Scottish problem ....

superfurryhibby
21-01-2015, 01:29 PM

To be fair, that was an exceptional transfer in that era. Guys like Marinello and Cormack went down south, as did Neil Martin before them . In the 1970's Hibs rarely sold to the O/F. Cropley, Brownlie, Blackley, Smith, Bremner all went down south, when any of them would have been an asset to the O/F. The exceptions were Stanton (swap deal) and Iain Munro (WTF possessed Turnbull to swap him for those two duds).

In the modern era there has been a trend for players to go to Glasgow. More fool them. For every career that flourished, many more faltered. The same will happen with the Utd guys.