PDA

View Full Version : New league cup format

greenpaper55
19-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Just on STV news that for next season there will be a July start and regional sections for the league cup, now call me cynical but could this be the way to increase the SPL to sixteen teams for next season ?.

DaveF
19-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Just on STV news that for next season there will be a July start and regional sections for the league cup, now call me cynical but could this be the way to increase the SPL to sixteen teams for next season ?.

Is this not how it was was in ye olde days? Well, the 60's and 70's :greengrin

lord bunberry
19-01-2015, 05:29 PM

It was sectioned but I don't think it was regionalised

Lucius Apuleius
19-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Wasn't regional in the good old days. 😋

greenpaper55
19-01-2015, 05:39 PM
If i remember correctly it was sections that usually started the season off well before the league but it was not regionalised.

scoopyboy
19-01-2015, 05:42 PM
When we won it in 72/73 we had Aberdeen, Queen of the South and Queens Park in our section IIRC.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2015, 05:43 PM
When we won it in 72/73 we had Aberdeen, Queen of the South and Queens Park in our section IIRC.

That's a helluva region

Pretty Boy
19-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Might help Scottish teams in Europe as well if the Europa League qualifiers can get a competitive League Cup game under their belt before a qulaifier.

DaveF
19-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for the corrections :greengrin

I remember it being groups and assumed it was regional.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Might help Scottish teams in Europe as well if the Europa League qualifiers can get a competitive League Cup game under their belt before a qulaifier.

Good idea. Wonder if their going to move the Petrofac Cup back a bit ( hope we're not in it)

I think a 2 legged semi final would also be great in the semifinals. Possibly 2 full houses. Dundee Utd v Aberdeen semi this year would have been great at Pittotdrie and Tannadice, rather than a half empty Hampden

oneone73
19-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Good idea. Wonder if their going to move the Petrofac Cup back a bit ( hope we're not in it)

I think a 2 legged semi final would also be great in the semifinals. Possibly 2 full houses. Dundee Utd v Aberdeen semi this year would have been great at Pittotdrie and Tannadice, rather than a half empty Hampden

Would regional mean Hibs, Them, Livi & Cowdenbeath?

Billy Whizz
19-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Would regional mean Hibs, Them, Livi & Cowdenbeath?

It's usually only the lower league teams that go in at round one. Maybe they are regionalising round one and two

ancient hibee
19-01-2015, 06:55 PM
The sections were eventually stopped because I seem to recall Rangers and Celtic were drawn in the same section a couple of times and obviously only one could qualify(incidentally that may be total garbage but there have been so any conspiracies over the years).

Pretty Boy
19-01-2015, 06:57 PM
The sections were eventually stopped because I seem to recall Rangers and Celtic were drawn in the same section a couple of times and obviously only one could qualify(incidentally that may be total garbage but there have been so any conspiracies over the years).

The microwave has been invented since then.

Stick the balls in there beforehand. Job done.

greenlex
19-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Hopefully a precursor to league reconstruction. Regional leagues in the league cup means more league cup games. ( I know they are not suggesting leagues but it's natural progression) two leagues of 16 with less league games. The future.

J-C
19-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Hopefully a precursor to league reconstruction. Regional leagues in the league cup means more league cup games. ( I know they are not suggesting leagues but it's natural progression) twomeagyes if 16 with mess league games. The future.

Just about to post the same, one of the ways to get a 14/16 team league to work and give extra revenue was to start league cup games early for extra income, fingers crossed we get shot of the crap 12 team set up.

ekhibee
19-01-2015, 07:39 PM
In 1972-73 Two teams went through from each group in the group stages, we actually finished 2nd in our group to Aberdeen on goal difference. After the group stages we beat DU in the 2nd round, Airdrie in the QF and Rangers in the Semi before beating Celtic in the final.

PatHead
19-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Surely Celtic and The Rangers will be in the same group if it is regionalised. They are in the same region after all?

Would get Sky their 4 games that they require and attract sponsors.

Jones28
19-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Does make sense to be fair, great for smaller teams not having to travel the length of the country for a Tuesday night replay.

The bigger teams will surely enter after it's been regionalised?

cockneymike
20-01-2015, 01:36 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/553026/Scottish-League-Cup-revamp-plan

Looks like its next year - July 2016 - they're talking about, not next season - July 2015. Also seems the discussion is still only at the very early stages too. Despite all that, could be a good idea if it helps teams in Europe.

HoboHarry
20-01-2015, 01:40 AM
My wife keeps threatening to have me sectioned. Is that the same thing?

DC_Hibs
20-01-2015, 07:21 AM
My wife keeps threatening to have me sectioned. Is that the same thing?

For sticking your balls in the microwave. Yes, absolutely.

scoopyboy
20-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Does make sense to be fair, great for smaller teams not having to travel the length of the country for a Tuesday night replay.

The bigger teams will surely enter after it's been regionalised?

No replays in League Cup.

lord bunberry
20-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Surely Celtic and The Rangers will be in the same group if it is regionalised. They are in the same region after all?

Would get Sky their 4 games that they require and attract sponsors.

That's how I would think it would work. The groups could be made up in a way that means there would be a home and away derby, with 2 teams qualifying. Then a bigger league with everyone playing each other twice.