PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere - BouncerRoss and co's thoughts...

HappyAsHellas
18-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Since the drummer and singers have been moved to the front of 43 I think there has been a noticeable decline in the atmosphere at our home games. The obvious games against Hearts and Rangers are different because everyone is "up for it" and things generally take care of themselves. At games like yesterday the atmosphere was funereal at times, a cause, I believe, of the disconnect between those at the front and rear of 43. There are a lot more people ( like myself ) who will gladly join in when everyone around is involved but this isn't happening just now. In the interest of our teams and clubs viewpoint, surely this is something that has to be addressed sooner rather than later. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience when everyone is involved in backing the team. I understand that this was as a direct result of the smoke bomb incidents but everyone knows this had nothing to do with BouncerRoss and co. Time to re evaluate things for what is best for Hibs, and not pander to a couple of teenage "ultra's" is it not?

Pretty Boy
18-01-2015, 12:44 PM
I've noticed a drop in at atmosphere at the last few home games, Rangers apart, and away games excluding Hearts obviously.

I think one of the reasons is it's hard to get an atmosphere going when the opposing team only have a handful of fans. In my experience Scottish football atmospheres have always been more about spontaneous banter with opposing fans as opposed to the more regimented, and imo, boring coordinated singing in many other countries. When I watch games on TV and see groups repeating stuff over and over again regardless of what's going on on the park it does nothing for me.

I'm not really sure what can be done. I'm not much of a singer myself, I think like many I tend to get involved when everyone is going for it but wouldn't dream of starting a song myself.

HappyAsHellas
18-01-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm not really sure what can be done. I'm not much of a singer myself, I think like many I tend to get involved when everyone is going for it but wouldn't dream of starting a song myself.

I fall into the same category which is why I think it would be better with the drummer back in amongst the younger element further up in 43 - then we can all join in.

Hibby Bairn
18-01-2015, 01:31 PM
I think "section 43" should relocate right behind the goals in Famous Five. Get all 3 sides of the stadium involved, closer to the action areas, noisy when we are attacking " down the slope" and a pain in the arse for opposition goalie.

Juice-Terry
18-01-2015, 01:33 PM
The long term solution, as has been mentioned several times before, is surely to moving the singing section to the Famous Five lower? For some reason, the 'ends' always seem to generate more noise than the bigger 'touchline' stands.

HappyAsHellas
18-01-2015, 01:34 PM
I have contacted the club in the past on this issue but never received any feedback. Would have to be FF upper though as allowing standing in the lower would obstruct the view of the hospitality brigade.

HappyAsHellas
18-01-2015, 01:38 PM
The long term solution, as has been mentioned several times before, is surely to moving the singing section to the Famous Five lower? For some reason, the 'ends' always seem to generate more noise than the bigger 'touchline' stands.

Sound travels much along the same lines as sight. If you're in section 39 in the east it can be difficult to hear what is being sung in section 43. As behind the goals are in everyone's line of sight the noise is intensified, which is why a couple of hundred away fans can make quite a din.

Juice-Terry
18-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Sound travels much along the same lines as sight. If you're in section 39 in the east it can be difficult to hear what is being sung in section 43. As behind the goals are in everyone's line of sight the noise is intensified, which is why a couple of hundred away fans can make quite a din.

Sounds plausible.

CB_NO3
18-01-2015, 01:43 PM
At home to Cowdenbeath, zero degrees outside. There was never going to be an atmosphere yesterday IMO. I just wanted to go there, get the 3 points and get home as quick as possible if truth be told.

erin go bragh
18-01-2015, 01:53 PM
I think "section 43" should relocate right behind the goals in Famous Five. Get all 3 sides of the stadium involved, closer to the action areas, noisy when we are attacking " down the slope" and a pain in the arse for opposition goalie.

Guy who sits beside me in the FF lower was saying he has heard the family sections moving to the East next season .
Has anybody else heard this . Then the singing section could move the the FF lower , which imo would be much better .

Ggtth

bingo70
18-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I think we just need to accept there'll be games in this division when the atmosphere will be like that. I'd be more concerned if that game was in the premier league against Aberdeen, Dundee utd or someone like that.

On a side note, when we scored our second yesterday I realised I didn't even stand up to celebrate our goal, I think that's the first time in a competitive game that's happened, Think I need to move to the west, the atmosphere will never improve in the east with folk like me around!

LaMotta
18-01-2015, 02:07 PM

Agree with all this.

DC_Hibs
18-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Would have to be FF upper though as allowing standing in the lower would obstruct the view of the hospitality brigade.

Think outside the box. Why can't they just allocate a certain number of rows where standing is permitted. There's no need to change an entire tier of a stand when we're talking about a main group of up to 50 people with the possibility of another few hundred max to have a season ticket beside them in a standing section.

If lomger term Hibs miraculously agreed to convert the stadium and legislation/authorities allow this - for example putting in a limited number of rail seats - they could do this for just a couple of hundred seats which would reduce the costs considerably in taking out fit for purpose seats and replacing them with much more expensive version (FACT)- an example of a mixed stand at Kaiserslautern http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/7880387.jpg

Chuck Rhoades
18-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Similar thread on the Bounce and this was my response. Seriously fed up of how poor the atmosphere is at ER:

Only shifted 34 tickets in an area of 102. Love the age assumption, come in the section and you'll find the average age to be around 23/24. Bounce lot can back that up.

Even with 34 shifted, it was terrible. No one arsed and everyone baltic.

We try. If only those who put so much effort to debate the lack of atmosphere online could focus their energy on creating an atmosphere in the stands.

ER will remain a morgue forever more. Too many punters interested in their coupons and taking selfies.

The_Exile
18-01-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm usually a singer, FF Lower, my wee ones sing along and a lot do join in around us. But it was just too cold yesterday. Surprised the kids lasted until 88th minute TBH. Summer fitba is the answer.

andyf5
18-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Similar thread on the Bounce and this was my response. Seriously fed up of how poor the atmosphere is at ER:

Only shifted 34 tickets in an area of 102. Love the age assumption, come in the section and you'll find the average age to be around 23/24. Bounce lot can back that up.

We try. If only those who put so much effort to debate the lack of atmosphere online could focus their energy on creating an atmosphere in the stands.

ER will remain a morgue forever more. Too many punters interested in their coupons and taking selfies.

We need someone to start the songs. Not my thing. There were a bunch of 14 year olds who wanted to join you but the stewards made them sit up back. Not sure how you qualify for a ticket in your area.

I'm just a few rows behind you now and lots less atmosphere since you moved down there. When you were up back up back I tried to do my bit. Three seasons ago when in the west the section 43 was the only thing that I enjoyed....

Baldy
18-01-2015, 03:39 PM
it just shows how bad the atmosphere has become if we have to have that bloody drum to give us an excuse for atmosphere

CB_NO3
18-01-2015, 03:45 PM
it just shows how bad the atmosphere has become if we have to have that bloody drum to give us an excuse for atmosphere
90% of stadiums in Europe have a drum.

HappyAsHellas
18-01-2015, 03:45 PM

I was only a few rows behind you yesterday, and when my daughter and myself tried joining in no one else around us done anything. We sat down for most of the game yesterday for the first time in ages. I seriously think if you move back up to where you used to be then the atmosphere will improve drastically. Please try and stay arsed as you are vital - have you had any official discussions about using the FF? I brought this up with LD at one of the meetings and she seemed genuinely interested although she's never answered any of my queries along these lines since then.

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 03:50 PM
We need someone to start the songs. Not my thing. There were a bunch of 14 year olds who wanted to join you but the stewards made them sit up back. Not sure how you qualify for a ticket in your area.

I'm just a few rows behind you now and lots less atmosphere since you moved down there. When you were up back up back I tried to do my bit. Three seasons ago when in the west the section 43 was the only thing that I enjoyed....

Never needed anyone to start songs a few years ago.

I think the problem is there's been nothing to sing about for years so the crowd has got out the habit.

Frazerbob
18-01-2015, 03:58 PM
We are playing in the Championship, in a less than half full stadium, against teams who bring next to no fans. Of course the atmosphere is gash.

Ronniekirk
18-01-2015, 04:16 PM
I was only a few rows behind you yesterday, and when my daughter and myself tried joining in no one else around us done anything. We sat down for most of the game yesterday for the first time in ages. I seriously think if you move back up to where you used to be then the atmosphere will improve drastically. Please try and stay arsed as you are vital - have you had any official discussions about using the FF? I brought this up with LD at one of the meetings and she seemed genuinely interested although she's never answered any of my queries along these lines since then.
One of our lowest crowds of the season and bitterly cold .However by moving the singing group right down the front I think a lot of people who congratated naturally up the back don't want to be more exposed to the elements and the scrutiny of stewards . Have missed the last two home games but me and my son always go to section 43, about three quarters of the way up and we always join in when signing starts Apart from warmer weather and bigger crowds not sure what the answer .
But if Boucer Ross chucks it then the atmosphere will only gets worse

PiemanP
18-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Sound travels down the stand much better than it goes up it. Think it's easier for more folk to sing along when the noise is coming from behind.

I know there may be other reasons why the group moved to the front, but I'd like to see it back up top next season (or sooner).

Mikey
18-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Introducing the voucher system has reduced it to the hard core in that area. Fans now have to request a voucher to sit in the same area as the singing section and it never works well when people are asked to do something extra. They want to turn up and join in, not jump through hoops to get there.

Get back up the back of the stand and leave the pyrotechnics at home. Problem solved.

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Never needed anyone to start songs a few years ago.

I think the problem is there's been nothing to sing about for years so the crowd has got out the habit.

Come to think of it, can't ever remember Rod starting a song, think him and Leeann should get the place rocking at the next home game with a couple of megaphones at the top tier of the main stand.

Nothing like a bit leadership from the folk at the top. :flag: :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
18-01-2015, 05:01 PM
It's really tiresome the way people refer to the S43 guys as if they're some kind of commodity or club asset that can be moved around.

"They should be moved to the FF lower"
"They should move to the front of the East"
"They should move back to the back of the East"

Ultimately, they're paying punters like everyone else and can sit/stand wherever they choose to buy tickets.

ZSdoom
18-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Introducing the voucher system has reduced it to the hard core in that area. Fans now have to request a voucher to sit in the same area as the singing section and it never works well when people are asked to do something extra. They want to turn up and join in, not jump through hoops to get there.

Get back up the back of the stand and leave the pyrotechnics at home. Problem solved.

Tell that to the wee laddies who were setting them off then.

The voucher system was implemented by the club as the solution to the problems earlier on in the season. It was the actions of a few stupid wee bairns that led to the security refusing us entry to our season ticket seats. Nobody has to jump through hoops anyway. Just send a pm and meet in the concourse or section for a voucher.

The fact that easter road is a morgue when a handful of people are removed from a section of the stadium is the real problem. Like always there's more people complaining and commenting that actually are/want to get involved. It's not a secret society, we're just normal fans like everyone else so come talk to us if you have any issues and for those that have approached us in the stadium have had any questions answered and been as involved as they wished.

Mikey
18-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Tell that to the wee laddies who were setting them off then.

The voucher system was implemented by the club as the solution to the problems earlier on in the season. It was the actions of a few stupid wee bairns that led to the security refusing us entry to our season ticket seats. Nobody has to jump through hoops anyway. Just send a pm and meet in the concourse or section for a voucher.

The fact that easter road is a morgue when a handful of people are removed from a section of the stadium is the real problem. Like always there's more people complaining and commenting that actually are/want to get involved. It's not a secret society, we're just normal fans like everyone else so come talk to us if you have any issues and for those that have approached us in the stadium have had any questions answered and been as involved as they wished.

No need to be so defensive, I don't have any issues with any of you.

It's very unlikely that the people outwith your group will go through the process of getting a voucher and that results in you being separated from the folk up the back, and a lot of them will have chosen to sit in that area because of the original singing section.

lord bunberry
18-01-2015, 05:17 PM
We should have closed a stand this season

Bronson
18-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Are you forgetting yesterday we weren't playing Hearts or The Rangers? We were playing Cowdenbeath. Most punters like myself went along to support their team and enjoy the game on a bitterly cold day. I salute anyone who's up for making an atmosphere in that scenario, but forgive me if I'd rather check my coupon.

H18Y GW
18-01-2015, 05:27 PM

7 weeks to Cologne and 5000 Eintracht will show that its not the amount of fans, its the intensity ...Edinburgh Adler

jacomo
18-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Guy who sits beside me in the FF lower was saying he has heard the family sections moving to the East next season .
Has anybody else heard this . Then the singing section could move the the FF lower , which imo would be much better .

Ggtth

Always thought the West Stand was the natural home for the family section? The shallower rake of the lower tier plus the added respectability with the posh seats up above all seem to make sense with bairns.

Agree that FF lower would be a good standing section, with the East for singing, swearing and smoke bombs obviously. :wink:

Swedish hibee
18-01-2015, 07:33 PM
COLD.. Bah, you Leithers don't know the meaning of it!!!!! :wink:

Waxy
18-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Most grounds have little atmosphere when playing smaller teams.

Nomeancity
19-01-2015, 07:07 AM
I have contacted the club in the past on this issue but never received any feedback. Would have to be FF upper though as allowing standing in the lower would obstruct the view of the hospitality brigade.

No thanks.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-01-2015, 07:55 AM
There's seldom been a good atmosphere since they knocked down the old North Stand :wink:

gegs70
19-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Interestingly I was at Newcastle on the Saturday so missed the game. they have huge tv screens in the ground that displays old games, shows old players, shows the team line up...it's great build before the game and at half time. Are hibs a little behind the times in matchplay experiences?

Also we got access via a bar and you could drink your pint up to the game and get a beer at half time....

GreenCastle
19-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Been saying for a while the fan group should move behind the goals in FF - intimidate opposition keepers etc.

Would also help atmosphere in bigger games - though usually atmosphere takes care of itself for these games.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 12:16 PM
This comes up time and time again and the solution IMO doesn't change.

The only answer to this problem is to move the section 43 guys to the FF lower .... I cant imagine any loss of income from the hospitality area if the view is obscured will be a factor ... it must be peanuts at the moment and if that's the cost of a better atmosphere its surely worth it.

If any of the section 43 guys have a problem because they think their view of the game wont be as good from there, then things must have changed since I was in my teens & twenties .... As I recall the aim was to make a noise, create an atmosphere and support the team, your view of the game was of secondary importance, as it is the view from the lower FF is still pretty good.

If the family section was moved to the north half of the East the view is really good from there and because the fans in that section would be closer to the singing they would be more inclined to join in, as would those in the main stand and FF upper. Hopefully the kids in the East would eventually want to be part of the FF lower as soon as their parents are willing to let them.

This solution would also do away with any perceived conflict between the sect 43 area and other parts of the East. It would be the case that if you buy a ticket for any part of the FF lower you know that there is every chance you will watch the whole game standing up ... in fact it will be expected of you.

It will also be a real positive if the 'ultras' have a self contained part of the stadium to call their own ... there is no doubt in my mind that it would encourage more fans to join the singing section and be a big boost to its sense of identity as a valued and important part of the Easter Road matchday experience.

silverhibee
19-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Interestingly I was at Newcastle on the Saturday so missed the game. they have huge tv screens in the ground that displays old games, shows old players, shows the team line up...it's great build before the game and at half time. Are hibs a little behind the times in matchplay experiences?

Also we got access via a bar and you could drink your pint up to the game and get a beer at half time....

I thought there was plans to put them in the corners at ER, or was that a wind up from Rod. :greengrin

GreenCastle
19-01-2015, 12:25 PM
This comes up time and time again and the solution IMO doesn't change.

The only answer to this problem is to move the section 43 guys to the FF lower .... I cant imagine any loss of income from the hospitality area if the view is obscured will be a factor ... it must be peanuts at the moment and if that's the cost of a better atmosphere its surely worth it.

If any of the section 43 guys have a problem because they think their view of the game wont be as good from there, then things must have changed since I was in my teens & twenties .... As I recall the aim was to make a noise, create an atmosphere and support the team, your view of the game was of secondary importance, as it is the view from the lower FF is still pretty good.

If the family section was moved to the north half of the East the view is really good from there and because the fans in that section would be closer to the singing they would be more inclined to join in, as would those in the main stand and FF upper. Hopefully the kids in the East would eventually want to be part of the FF lower as soon as their parents are willing to let them.

This solution would also do away with any perceived conflict between the sect 43 area and other parts of the East. It would be the case that if you buy a ticket for any part of the FF lower you know that there is every chance you will watch the whole game standing up ... in fact it will be expected of you.

It will also be a real positive if the 'ultras' have a self contained part of the stadium to call their own ... there is no doubt in my mind that it would encourage more fans to join the singing section and be a big boost to its sense of identity as a valued and important part of the Easter Road matchday experience.

:agree::thumbsup: Could you imagine a loud Famous Five lower for the bigger games - atmosphere would be even better than normal - plus would give them a chance to do displays from Famous Five upper.

kennyh
19-01-2015, 01:00 PM
ITS NOT JUST US

I took my kids to Accies V Celtic on Saturday and as my daughter isnt too keen on loud noisy singing i had told her to be prepared by telling her that Celtic fans would be just as noisy as the Hibs crowd at the play off game. Accies gave celtic two sections in the main stand as well as the usual two others and even then the only time we heard them singing was at the wee boy who had us laughing at HT with his theatrics after scoring a goal. Celtic with the Green Brigade and all that dont genereate anywhere near the noise they used to.

As we walked away both kids commented that Celtic fans are rubbish as they were winning and all they could here were the Accies Noisy Boys, and there were only about 40 of them.

RyeSloan
19-01-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm confused as to how 34 people moving to the FF Lower would make any difference at all...

Section 43 at the back of the east worked quite well...as someone else said quite a few other folk moved to there or thereabouts to be near the 'singing section'

I would suggest it the numbers involved rather than where they sit/stand that makes the difference and FF Lower or East Stand makes little or no difference at all.

Finally you need a proper game to get the crowd involved, watching the equivalent of a pre season stroll on a Baltic Saturday is very unlikely to get the stands bouncing no matter how many drums you have!

Dashing Bob S
19-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Would also like to see more done for the wealthy, casual fan, who doesn't really care that much for the football, but regards attendance in the hospitality suites as a way of networking and developing solid business contacts for exciting, new lucrative ventures.

Also, please, set aside more a elite suite for 'old money'; right now these areas seem overwhelmingly populated with types who have made their cash in the building trade, car dealerships and cocaine.

I'm anxious that those at the top don't get ignored in the dreary meritocratic stampede to appease the lower orders.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm confused as to how 34 people moving to the FF Lower would make any difference at all...

Section 43 at the back of the east worked quite well...as someone else said quite a few other folk moved to there or thereabouts to be near the 'singing section'

I would suggest it the numbers involved rather than where they sit/stand that makes the difference and FF Lower or East Stand makes little or no difference at all.

Finally you need a proper game to get the crowd involved, watching the equivalent of a pre season stroll on a Baltic Saturday is very unlikely to get the stands bouncing no matter how many drums you have!

Don't agree ..... I think a move to the FF will encourage the singing section to grow

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Agreed.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Would also like to see more done for the wealthy, casual fan, who doesn't really care that much for the football, but regards attendance in the hospitality suites as a way of networking and developing solid business contacts for exciting, new lucrative ventures.

Also, please, set aside more a elite suite for 'old money'; right now these areas seem overwhelmingly populated with types who have made their cash in the building trade, car dealerships and cocaine.

I'm anxious that those at the top don't get ignored in the dreary meritocratic stampede to appease the lower orders.

Thank goodness someone has had the courage to address this issue at last. Perhaps at the same time we could also start to clamp down on this silly booing that happens when the opposition are taking a penalty :greengrin