PDA

View Full Version : Our 140th anniversary

Pages : [1] 2

Glorious St Pat
17-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Hearing that certain motions have been accepted by the board and strip next year will feature our original crest and a Connamara marble plaque will celebrate our birth - well played all involved.

CB_NO3
17-01-2015, 10:55 PM
That would be fantastic. Could be a huge money spinner for the club too. Would defo buy that shirt.

Ronniekirk
17-01-2015, 11:09 PM
That would be fantastic. Could be a huge money spinner for the club too. Would defo buy that shirt.

I haven't bought a strip for about three seasons ,but would also buy one if the op is correct .

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Will be interesting to see what they do with the strip. White? Hoops? If they are going with a special badge that may be a possibility and potentially offer more options than we have with the white sleeves because of the template restrictions.

I thought the white sleeves were a certaintity to be back next season but maybe not.

matty_f
17-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Are we ditching the Nike strips for next year?

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Are we ditching the Nike strips for next year?

Nope.

4 year deal with Nike so stuck with them for another 2 seasons.

matty_f
17-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Nope.

4 year deal with Nike so stuck with them for another 2 seasons.

That's a pity, not been impressed with the last two strips.

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Hearing that certain motions have been accepted by the board and strip next year will feature our original crest and a Connam​ara marble plaque will celebrate our birth - well played all involved.

Connemara.

Looking forward to seeing what we do. It would be good to have white sleeves back but if we can't accommodate that due to reflecting our origins then fair enough.

matty_f
17-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Connemara.

Looking forward to seeing what we do. It would be good to have white sleeves back but if we can't accommodate that due to reflecting our origins then fair enough.

:hmmm: the Connemara thread.

Has anyone else spotted an opportunity?

Hibbyradge
17-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Hoops would stick it up the lesser greens. :thumbsup:

Big dark green hoops. Go for it. Original badge.

SteveHFC
17-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Hoops would stick it up the lesser greens. :thumbsup:

Big dark green hoops. Go for it. Original badge.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/ProductImages/V3_1_Main/61760.jpg

Something like this?

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2015, 11:40 PM
:hmmm: the Connemara thread.

Has anyone else spotted an opportunity?

Folk have posted about a Hibs decline over the last several years for a while now. Funny how this decline coincided with the removal of the Calpol thread. It's no coincidence as far as I'm concerned, but I'm powerless to redress the situation.

Has anyone else wanted to get something right back up but had to wait and maybe take an opening when they can get it?

Hibbyradge
17-01-2015, 11:49 PM
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/ProductImages/V3_1_Main/61760.jpg

Something like this?

Bigger and fewer stripes, please.

Hibbyradge
17-01-2015, 11:52 PM
concerned, but I'm powerless to redress the situation.

Has anyone else wanted to get something right back up but had to wait and maybe take an opening when they can get it?

That happened to me once in a taxi queue in Croydon.

I've taken the fifth.

3pm
18-01-2015, 01:52 AM
Get a proper strip next year, no messing about. This year's is a horror.

I am not sure why there is such focus on 140 as a milestone anyway.

Greencore
18-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Not sure about the hoops, our First jersey was white.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

worcesterhibby
18-01-2015, 09:01 AM
If we're going for the full historical look it should have a brown leather belt as well ! :greengrin

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/images/hibernian-1876-b.gif

Andy74
18-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Same thought from me. Do we do this every 5 years or something??

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2015, 09:17 AM

And here. 150 would/should be the year of the hoops shouldn't it?

Pretty Boy
18-01-2015, 09:20 AM

And me. Really don't see why 140 years is being marked as such a milestone. I remember 125 being celebrated but 130 and 135 passed without a mention so not sure why 140 is different?

Of course any excuse to celebrate Hibs is fine by me but as I said when this topic was discussed a while ago it should celebrate the whole history, like most anniversaries do, not just one part of it.

marinello59
18-01-2015, 09:25 AM

I think the St Pats Branch came up with this as a "special" year. I'll take any excuse to celebrate Hibs but let's celebrate the whole rich history, not just the birth of our club.
Back to the White sleeves will do me for next season. That's the strip most of us will always identify as the proper Hibs top.

CMac1988
18-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Could go either way. Not a big fan of the sponsors logo on green which could ruin it... ;)

NAE NOOKIE
18-01-2015, 09:45 AM
I think the St Pats Branch came up with this as a "special" year. I'll take any excuse to celebrate Hibs but let's celebrate the whole rich history, not just the birth of our club.
Back to the White sleeves will do me for next season. That's the strip most of us will always identify as the proper Hibs top.

This, word for word.

Mikey
18-01-2015, 09:47 AM

It's a ploy to try and get the Harp on the stand.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-01-2015, 10:13 AM
To echo what others have said, why is 140 years so significant? If we go all out this year, what do we do in 10 years time??

Eyrie
18-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Given the mess that was made of this year's "home" top and the dismal attempt to pass it off as being a throwback, I fully expect a return to the proper green body and white sleeves next season.

Let's keep the commemorative strip for our 150th anniversary.

Ozyhibby
18-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Obviously 140 years is a strange one but let's face it, we could do with a lift.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 10:59 AM
140 isn't anything special IMO. If we go back to the original crest for 140 years of life what do we do for 150? History is history and we'll never forget it, but some seem to want to live in it.

Just get the home top back to being what I consider a proper Hibs one and that'll do me.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 11:02 AM
140 isn't anything special IMO. If we go back to the original crest for 140 years of life what do we do for 150? History is history and we'll never forget it, but some seem to want to live in it.

Just get the home top back to being what I consider a proper Hibs one and that'll do me.

:agree: My lucky number is 147, just because i keep getting them when i play snooker. I wonder if the club would do something special that year?

7Hero
18-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Got to be form a marketing point of view / sell strips and get some much needed funds into the club.

Lets hope they do a good job the last couple badges they have designed have been pretty poor, im a firm believer you keep with tradition and grow your brand as opposed to changing it.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Got to be form a marketing point of view / sell strips and get some much needed funds into the club.

Lets hope they do a good job the last couple badges they have designed have been pretty poor, im a firm believer you keep with tradition and grow your brand logo as opposed to changing it.

I don't think anyone will disagree with that, but the OP is dropping heavy hints of the Glorious St Pats branch (I assume) leaning on Hibs to make 140 some sort of historical celebration which I don't really get.

Get the strip right and it will sell. Make an arse of it (ala this year) and it won't.

If this one goes through it almost smacks of copying hearts and their WWI 'celebration' effort.

Andy74
18-01-2015, 11:21 AM
I don't think anyone will disagree with that, but the OP is dropping heavy hints of the Glorious St Pats branch (I assume) leaning on Hibs to make 140 some sort of historical celebration which I don't really get.

Get the strip right and it will sell. Make an arse of it (ala this year) and it won't.

If this one goes through it almost smacks of copying hearts and their WWI 'celebration' effort.

It was a motion no less whatever that means.

worcesterhibby
18-01-2015, 11:23 AM
:agree: My lucky number is 147, just because i keep getting them when i play snooker. I wonder if the club would do something special that year?

Just as well you're not a darts player otherwise you'd be brown bread before you could celebrate !

worcesterhibby
18-01-2015, 11:28 AM
I don't really get how hard the club finds it to make money out of strips…make the 1st team strip classic, with white sleeves and just change about the collar year on year…then have some fun with the away strip, being more inventive and daring….Mint,black, tartan, purple, purple/green stripes, white with a green St Andrews cross, white with Ajax green stripe etc etc

people will always like the home strip if it's classic..then others will either love or hate the away strip..but at least those who love it will buy it.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Think the thread has went off track - never mentioned anything about a commemorative strip merely any new strip next year to also incorporate the original crest. This all discussed at recent WT meeting.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Think the thread has went off track - never mentioned anything about a commemorative strip merely any new strip next year to also incorporate the original crest. This all discussed at recent WT meeting.

Don't think it's went off track. Most of the discussion is around why 140 should be recognised in this way (along with the plaque thing).

150 would be more deserving of such recognition IMHO.

JimBHibees
18-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Don't think it's went off track. Most of the discussion is around why 140 should be recognised in this way (along with the plaque thing).

150 would be more deserving of such recognition IMHO.

Tend to agree not sure there should be much relevance in 140.

Andy74
18-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Why the original crest for 140?

Beefster
18-01-2015, 11:54 AM
I might be in a minority but I feel celebrating every random potential milestone just cheapens the real milestones. Seriously, 140 years is now a milestone worthy of special badges and plaques?

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I might be in a minority but I feel celebrating every random potential milestone just cheapens the real milestones. Seriously, 140 years is now a milestone worthy of special badges and plaques?

Yep seems very strange and IMO an idea the club should not be entertaining.

lucky
18-01-2015, 12:16 PM

I agree 100%. Hibs history should be celebrated at 150 years not 140

Ringothedog
18-01-2015, 12:18 PM

The fans ARE the club. The directors are merely custodians of OUR club. As an aside anything that celebrates our foundation is worthwhile doing.

marinello59
18-01-2015, 12:22 PM
The fans ARE the club. The directors are merely custodians of OUR club. As an aside anything that celebrates our foundation is worthwhile doing.

Our whole history surely?

Ringothedog
18-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Our whole history surely?

Goes without saying.

I just get fed up with all the sniping. We try something positive and it gets shot down as having ulterior motives. We don't do anything and it gets shot down for not having any imagination or missing an opportunity. And so it goes on ad infinitum.

Carheenlea
18-01-2015, 12:31 PM
There has to careful consideration that the club does not do anything that alienates a large swathe of our support. The original club crest is incorporated into our current crest, one that everyone can embrace and one that exclaims our club to be broad church where everyone is welcome.
The Hibernian story is a great one, but I suspect our founding fathers would be proud of how our club has evolved into an all welcoming club where religion, race or nationality is irrelevant for anyone to be in the Hibs family,and would rather we celebrated that than wallow in the faux Irishness more prevelent at Celtic Park.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 12:33 PM
There has to careful consideration that the club does not do anything that alienates a large swathe of our support. The original club crest is incorporated into our current crest, one that everyone can embrace and one that exclaims our club to be broad church where everyone is welcome.
The Hibernian story is a great one, but I suspect our founding fathers would be proud of how our club has evolved into an all welcoming club where religion, race or nationality is irrelevant for anyone to be in the Hibs family,and would rather we celebrated that than wallow in the faux Irishness more prevelent at Celtic Park.

:top marks

marinello59
18-01-2015, 12:38 PM

That's an excellent point and one that I hadn't considered. If the club goes with the plain Harp it wouldn't really put me up nor down but there really isn't a need for it. we have a badge that says it all about our club as it is.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2015, 12:39 PM

Careful now. I got called a bigot for saying similar a few weeks ago.

As a Catholic with Irish roots God knows what I'm bigoted against but anyway......

lucky
18-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Spot on.

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Goes without saying.

I just get fed up with all the sniping. We try something positive and it gets shot down as having ulterior motives. We don't do anything and it gets shot down for not having any imagination or missing an opportunity. And so it goes on ad infinitum.

I honestly didn't want my post to come across as a pop at the idea. I just don't understand why the point of celebrating the 140th?

Let's get planning the 150th by all means

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 12:48 PM
That's an excellent point and one that I hadn't considered. If the club goes with the plain Harp it wouldn't really put me up nor down but there really isn't a need for it. we have a badge that says it all about our club as it is.

I think we have changed our crest way too many times over the years, in fact it embarrases me when i look at the framework of the FF with that bloody saturn badge crafted into the metalwork.

We have a club crest now that 99% of supporters like, its something that i believe we need to embrace and keep now for ever.

It has everything on it that the club is about, yes some folk would rather harp on about the past, but thankfully most folk have evolved just like the club has.

Saying that, i'm not against having the harp on our strip as a one off, but that should be for a meaningful anniversary like 150, not one that makes no sense whatsoever?

Pretty Boy
18-01-2015, 12:50 PM
I think we have changed our crest way too many times over the years, in fact it embarrases me when i look at the framework of the FF with that bloody saturn badge crafted into the metalwork.

We have a club crest now that 99% of supporters like, its something that i believe we need to embrace and keep now for ever.

It has everything on it that the club is about, yes some folk would rather harp on about the past, but thankfully most folk have evolved just like the club has.

Saying that, i'm not against having the harp on our strip as a one off, but that should be for a meaningful anniversary like 150, not one that makes no sense whatsoever?

:applause::applause:

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 12:52 PM
:applause::applause:

I meant just the harp, as in our original badge. :greengrin

hibbybrian
18-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I honestly didn't want my post to come across as a pop at the idea. I just don't understand why the point of celebrating the 140th?

Let's get planning the 150th by all means

For those of us who have supported the team for over 50 years and won't be around for the 150th, please feel free to cheer on our behalf in 10 years time.

marinello59
18-01-2015, 01:12 PM
For those of us who have supported the team for over 50 years and won't be around for the 150th, please feel free to cheer on our behalf in 10 years time.

I ain't going to make the 200th Anniversary so maybe we could celebrate that at around the 157 year mark. :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 01:12 PM

I find your point quite disgusting to be honest.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2015, 02:02 PM

You got the centenary year though?

marinello59
18-01-2015, 02:19 PM

:hilarious

Beefster
18-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Agree with your point. My son is only six but I'm celebrating his 21st this year in case I'm dead by the time it really comes round.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Agree with your point. My son is only six but I'm celebrating his 21st this year in case I'm dead by the time it really comes round.

:faf:

marinello59
18-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Doing the same with my 13 year old. I thought just sticking a picture of the back seat of a Vauxhall Cavalier on the front door to mark his roots would suffice.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 03:12 PM

Doing the same with my 13 year old. I thought just sticking a picture of the back seat of a Vauxhall Cavalier on the front door to mark his roots would suffice.

Really not feeling well today, but both posts have fairly cheered me up. :top marks

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 03:18 PM
I haven't bought a strip for about three seasons ,but would also buy one if the op is correct .

But your saving up for a waterproof so you can be excused for now. :greengrin

SteveHFC
18-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I say we should get something like this for next season

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/football/sk-brann-2015-hummel-home-football-shirt.jpg

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 03:22 PM
And here. 150 would/should be the year of the hoops shouldn't it?

Is that to coincide when we get promoted. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
18-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Right on the money. I like our current badge as its reflective of who we are now and respectful of where we come from.

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Hearing that certain motions have been accepted by the board and strip next year will feature our original crest and a Connamara marble plaque will celebrate our birth - well played all involved.

Hopefully we'll be back to white sleeves. Is the original crest going onto the strip along with our current one?

PatHead
18-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Hopefully we'll be back to white sleeves. Is the original crest going onto the strip along with our current one?

That was what was being discussed not replacing current badge.

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 04:08 PM
That was what was being discussed not replacing current badge.

:aok:

SkintHibby
18-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Gutting news if true.

Wrote off this season in every sense even down to the lack of white sleeves.

Was prepped for the return of promotion and the return of the white sleeves the following season.

Eff off with the retro nonsense. Look forward not back FFS!

CentreLine
18-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Got to add my reluctance to get excited about 140 years, it has to be proper numbers like 150, 175 and so on before we get excited. It just becomes embarrassing otherwise IMO

SkintHibby
18-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Got to add my reluctance to get excited about 140 years, it has to be proper numbers like 150, 175 and so on before we get excited. It just becomes embarrassing otherwise IMO

175? What relevance has that to Hibs, or anything?

Brooster
18-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Never heard such nonsense. Celebrating 140 years is a bit cringe worthy. I would also like to see us get back to the green shirt with white sleeves with the current badge on. Last seasons shirt was excellent.

SkintHibby
18-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Never heard such nonsense. Celebrating 140 years is a bit cringe worthy. I would also like to see us get back to the green shirt with white sleeves with the current badge on. Last seasons shirt was excellent.

Current badge. Green shirts, white sleeves. White shorts. Green socks. That is the colours of Hibs - end of!

scoopyboy
18-01-2015, 04:33 PM

Absolutely, 150 I could agree with to an extent but 140 doesn't seem to be a special anniversary to me.

If we were going to celebrate 140 then we should surely have celebrated 130 and other multiples of ten.

Brightside
18-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Not for me thanks. Look forward not back.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Not for me thanks. Look forward not back.

At the end of the day it will be two badges on the shirt - one the current and the other the original... Maybe even on the back of the neck? A decent compromise surely?

Also led to believe there were or are to be talks on the correct shade of Hibernian green... Long over due I say as a number of greens over the year didn't have the necessary consistency.

Smartie
18-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Was anything much done to mark our centenary?

Honest question, it was before my time and I don't recall ever hearing anything about it.

Brightside
18-01-2015, 04:59 PM
At the end of the day it will be two badges on the shirt - one the current and the other the original... Maybe even on the back of the neck? A decent compromise surely?

Also led to believe there were or are to be talks on the correct shade of Hibernian green... Long over due I say as a number of greens over the year didn't have the necessary consistency.

But why 140years?

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 05:00 PM

:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2015, 05:00 PM

Honest question, it was before my time and I don't recall ever hearing anything about it.
Don't know mate - I'm only a youngster as well. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 05:04 PM
I think the club should order the players to all grow big bushy moustaches for the 140th anniversary, in fact maybe make it a signing policy that every 140 years the players must have one.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 05:09 PM
But why 140years?

It was a proposal of St Pats branch and something they spoke about at previous branch meetings. Why 140 years? Don't know...but seemed important enough to discuss and promote to the WT group and O'Hagen.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2015, 05:17 PM

There was definitely a dinner in the Balmoral (or North British as it was then). I only know that because my Grandad was there as an ex player and I have the menu, running order and toast list (signed by all the Famous Five amongst others) at home.

Saturday Boy
18-01-2015, 05:23 PM
There was definitely a dinner in the Balmoral (or North British as it was then). I only know that because my Grandad was there as an ex player and I have the menu, running order and toast list (signed by all the Famous Five amongst others) at home.

Hibs played Derby County in a Centenary match. Derby were English champions at the time and Bruce Rioch scored the only goal to give them victory. 1975 seems a long time ago now.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 05:28 PM
I know its a little early, but is there anything planned for the 160th anniversary?

hibbybrian
18-01-2015, 05:30 PM
I know its a little early, but is there anything planned for the 160th anniversary?

Aye very good Gary, I never knew terminal illness could be such a hoot until your post :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Aye very good Gary, I never knew terminal illness could be such a hoot until your post :rolleyes:

Eh?

scoopyboy
18-01-2015, 05:56 PM

We played Derby County and released the book "100 years of Hibs".

Maybe a Hibs first day cover, IIRC an envelope with Hibs drawing on it, sort of a philatelic effort.

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 06:08 PM
How about getting the Hibs badge on the main stand above the front doors, long overdue so it is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Hibernian_FC_logo.svg/965px-Hibernian_FC_logo.svg.png

Brooster
18-01-2015, 06:14 PM
I sincerely hope that the decision makers and folk at WT read this thread to get a feel for the feelings and thoughts of the majority.

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Brian, unless they were friends of yours how is anyone supposed to know this?

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this. Have the St Pats branch put this idea forward because of this and if so could the OP not have said so. I don't think anyone would have questioned the motive then.

Sorry again.

Brightside
18-01-2015, 06:26 PM
I sincerely hope that the decision makers and folk at WT read this thread to get a feel for the feelings and thoughts of the majority.

What that the majority don't care?

PatHead
18-01-2015, 06:33 PM
How about getting the Hibs badge on the main stand above the front doors, long overdue so it is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Hibernian_FC_logo.svg/965px-Hibernian_FC_logo.svg.png

Couldn't agree more :top marks

brog
18-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Only on Hibs Net could we get such negativity re a proposal to celebrate our club. Why not just support the principle of celebrating the fact that we're still here, which 25 years ago was in serious doubt! Complaining about the number of years, the badge, the strip etc etc sounds petty & childish & really mocks the efforts of people who are working hard to support & improve our club. By all means provide input but maybe just for once some of it could be positive.

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Only on Hibs Net could we get such negativity re a proposal to celebrate our club. Why not just support the principle of celebrating the fact that we're still here, which 25 years ago was in serious doubt! Complaining about the number of years, the badge, the strip etc etc sounds petty & childish & really mocks the efforts of people who are working hard to support & improve our club. By all means provide input but maybe just for once some of it could be positive.

I've not seen negativity brog.

People are confused at why we are celebrating 140 as an anniversary?

Are people not allowed to question anything on here now or is it just anything to do with St Pats you have a problem with?

CentreLine
18-01-2015, 07:16 PM
175? What relevance has that to Hibs, or anything?

Well I guess in 35 years, long after I'm gone, our club will be 175 years of age. If we must have anniversaries then every 25 is certainly more appropriate than a random number like 140. And as I've said, I will not be around to be embarrassed

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Just spoken to a fellow committee member from St. Pat's and I've been asked to clarify a few points, to avoid any further confusion.

A couple of months ago, a long-standing branch member approached the committee to ask if we, as a branch, were planning to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the club. He had a number of ideas in mind so the committee met, agreed and took the ideas back to a branch meeting for approval. Those present voted for the proposal so Hibs were approached to 'test the water' and see if there was an appetite for them.

A delegation of four committee members were then invited to meet Leeann Dempster, Bruce Langham and Gary O'Hagan before the Alloa game. The ideas were proposed, discussed and it was then suggested by the aforementioned that the ideas be put before the Working Together group, to gauge the response/ensure the ideas had the group's backing.

The WT meeting was on Wednesday just gone and all three proposals were passed so it's now back to Hibs for the next move.

The proposals are: 1) to incorporate the club's original crest on to a strip, including the dates 1875-2015, 2) to fund a plaque which would reference our origins, the dates of our existence and state it was commissioned and erected by Hibernian supporters and 3) a fund to assist those who are experiencing financial hardship attend games.

All joking aside, the reason the 140th anniversary was proposed as a 'celebration' was, as has been alluded to in jest, it was felt by some that there may be a few branch members who wouldn't see the 150th anniversary :greengrin

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Just spoken to a fellow committee member from St. Pat's and I've been asked to clarify a few points, to avoid any further confusion.

A couple of months ago, a long-standing branch member approached the committee to ask if we, as a branch, were planning to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the club. He had a number of ideas in mind so the committee met, agreed and took the ideas back to a branch meeting for approval. Those present voted for the proposal so Hibs were approached to 'test the water' and see if there was an appetite for them.

A delegation of four committee members were then invited to meet Leeann Dempster, Bruce Langham and Gary O'Hagan before the Alloa game. The ideas were proposed, discussed and it was then suggested by the aforementioned that the ideas be put before the Working Together group, to gauge the response/ensure the ideas had the group's backing.

The WT meeting was on Wednesday just gone and all three proposals were passed so it's now back to Hibs for the next move.

The proposals are: 1) to incorporate the club's original crest on to a strip, including the dates 1875-2015, 2) to fund a plaque which would reference our origins, the dates of our existence and state it was commissioned and erected by Hibernian supporters and 3) a fund to assist those who are experiencing financial hardship attend games.

All joking aside, the reason the 140th anniversary was proposed as a 'celebration' was, as has been alluded to in jest, it was felt by some that there may be a few branch members who wouldn't see the 150th anniversary :greengrin

Suzy spot on - same version of events that I was told. Delighted the club are potentially going to do something to commemorate and another example of initiative from the branch.

marinello59
18-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Suzy spot on - same version of events that I was told. Delighted the club are potentially going to do something to commemorate and another example of initiative from the branch.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 08:28 PM

Thanks Suzy, but to be honest, despite your explanation I still don't see the need for a hark back to the past under the guise of a 140 year thing. There will be Hibs fans who won't see next month, or 6 months down the line so, all joking aside, why not celebrate every year?

And maybe someone can give me a history lesson while I'm here. What was the club's original crest?

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Why the laughter?

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks Suzy, but to be honest, despite your explanation I still don't see the need for a hark back to the past under the guise of a 140 year thing. There will be Hibs fans who won't see next month, or 6 months down the line so, all joking aside, why not celebrate every year?

And maybe someone can give me a history lesson while I'm here. What was the club's original crest?

The same one used by the St Pats branch - it's in Lugton's first book - a harp surrounded by shamrocks.

Brightside
18-01-2015, 08:39 PM

100% agree. i really would rather the club didn't spend any time or money on this - just to satisfy the minority who appear to be obsessed with the irish background of the club.

Andy74
18-01-2015, 08:42 PM
100% agree. i really would rather the club didn't spend any time or money on this - just to satisfy the minority who appear to be obsessed with the irish background of the club.

I'm not bothered by the Harp thing my problem is more with the fairly random number.

I guess we can equally make representation to the club about not doing anything special for this? A poll might be interesting.

Baldy Foghorn
18-01-2015, 08:43 PM
The same one used by the St Pats branch - it's in Lugton's first book - a harp surrounded by shamrocks.

Thought the original crest was a harp with some writing underneath?

Mr White
18-01-2015, 08:47 PM

In the context of Scottish football that is a bad idea. I've got quite extensive Irish links (mother from roscommon, wife from bangor, over 60 living blood relatives in Roscommon, galway and Donegal and I named my eldest child Patrick after my grandfather) and I have to say the thought of painting a harp and shamrocks on the west stand would be a backward step which wouldn't reflect where the club is now. It would be the equivalent of taking a tricolour to a derby- fine in principal but inflammatory in context and practice. The current hibs badge is a fantastic snapshot of what the club represents IMO, it shows inclusiveness whereas, unfortunately in Scottish football today, a harp surrounded by shamrocks does not.

Golden Bear

That's exactly how I feel. Surely the views of the majority of Hibs supporters should be listened to as opposed to those of a particular supporters branch who seem to have a very high opinion of themselves.

Glorious St Pat

It is paying tribute to those that struggled against prejudice, poverty and discrimination to form our club. It is also respect to our founders something the club has long done thanks to the many supporter led initiatives - the Hannan and Whelehan bust, the Dan McMichael headstone, the brass plaque at St Pats church, the centenary mass of Cannon Hannan and refurbishment of his headstone all supported by the club. This isn't obsession of our roots but respect of them.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 08:51 PM
The proposals are: 1) to incorporate the club's original crest on to a strip, including the dates 1875-2015

So the proposal is to incorporate a harp and date(s) into the strip when we already have a harp and our founding date on it?

I have a feeling that the shamrocks is more important to an element of St Pats than any actual celebration.

It really makes no odds to me personally, and people are free to put forward suggestions to the club as they wish - I simply don't get the reasoning behind this one.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 08:51 PM
In the context of Scottish football that is a bad idea. I've got quite extensive Irish links (mother from roscommon, wife from bangor, over 60 living blood relatives in Roscommon, galway and Donegal and I named my eldest child Patrick after my grandfather) and I have to say the thought of painting a harp and shamrocks on the west stand would be a backward step which wouldn't reflect where the club is now. It would be the equivalent of taking a tricolour to a derby- fine in principal but inflammatory in context and practice. The current hibs badge is a fantastic snapshot of what the club represents IMO, it shows inclusiveness whereas, unfortunately in Scottish football today, a harp surrounded by shamrocks does not.

No one is proposing a painting of harp and shamrocks on the west stand - merely a small brass plaque mounted on the marble that came from St Pats church.

Ronniekirk
18-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Lugtons books should be mandatory reading for anyone interested in the origins of our Club . Hibernian Secrets That We Hold . I know people get fed up with folk Harping on about it ,but it is important to understand the History and the Struggles that led to the Club we have today .

Islington Hibs
18-01-2015, 08:55 PM
I would have no objection to a one off plaque or similar (although 140 years, while an achievement, is an odd anniversary) but I would absolutely object to changing our crest to the harp (or anything else for that matter). Hibs draw support right across the community so lets not copy what goes on in Glasgow. To attach our colours to one section would be marketing madness, especially as I would guess less than 10% of Edinburgh's population is originally from Ireland.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 08:56 PM
So the proposal is to incorporate a harp and date(s) into the strip when we already have a harp and our founding date on it?

I have a feeling that the shamrocks is more important to an element of St Pats than any actual celebration.

It really makes no odds to me personally, and people are free to put forward suggestions to the club as they wish - I simply don't get the reasoning behind this one.

Don't really appreciate the undertones of your accusations of the branch and it is something I am sure the committee would vehemently deny. The clubs original crest is what it is and you would've seen as it an almost permanent feature of the South Stand top tier.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 08:58 PM
I would have no objection to a one off plaque or similar (although 140 years, while an achievement, is an odd anniversary) but I would absolutely object to changing our crest to the harp (or anything else for that matter). Hibs draw support right across the community so lets not copy what goes on in Glasgow. To attach our colours to one section would be marketing madness, especially as I would guess less than 10% of Edinburgh's population is originally from Ireland.

The current crest would be on the strip - just the original added on the top as well. Perfect compromise.

Mr White
18-01-2015, 08:59 PM
No one is proposing a painting of harp and shamrocks on the west stand - merely a small brass plaque mounted on the marble that came from St Pats church.

OK fair enough, my mistake but even that and the use of the original crest on the strip is unnecessary imo when its already represented on the present club crest and it's not even a milestone anniversary.

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 09:02 PM

:aok: On every Stand.

ACLeith
18-01-2015, 09:03 PM

I am a ST holder because my father was a supporter, because it was his local team, my son is for exactly the same reason. Nothing else! I respect the history of our club but I know of Hibbies who come from all areas of our society, including one who has been a high-heid-yin in the Masonic Lodge. We have all one thing in common - we will all cry like babies when/if we win the Holy Grail!

In the last few years the only part of our badge that might be deemed inappropriate is the football, given the style and efforts on the pitch :wink:

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:05 PM
OK fair enough, my mistake but even that and the use of the original crest on the strip is unnecessary imo when its already represented on the present club crest and it's not even a milestone anniversary.

The original crest would sit alongside the current if agreed to Hibs.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:09 PM

I am a ST holder because my father was a supporter, because it was his local team, my son is for exactly the same reason. Nothing else! I respect the history of our club but I know of Hibbies who come from all areas of our society, including one who has been a high-heid-yin in the Masonic Lodge. We have all one thing in common - we will all cry like babies when/if we win the Holy Grail!

In the last few years the only part of our badge that might be deemed inappropriate is the football, given the style and efforts on the pitch :wink:

I share your thoughts - we are a broad church - but I don't understand why some always say 'I respect our past' but any attempt to celebrate it gets shot down.

brog
18-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I've not seen negativity brog.

People are confused at why we are celebrating 140 as an anniversary?

Are people not allowed to question anything on here now or is it just anything to do with St Pats you have a problem with?

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about. I live in London & have no connection with St Pats or indeed with any posters on Hibs Net. I merely questioned what I thought was unnecessary negativity to the OP. I see there's now an explanatory post re what is proposed so hopefully that will help clarify matters.

Saturday Boy
18-01-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm a little confused by this whole anniversary thing. People wanting the original badge, and yet others complaining about this season's shirt. We have only won "that cup" twice, and if you look at the photographs (admittedly in black and white) we are clearly wearing dark green jerseys without white sleeves. How anyone can say that this is not a "Hibs shirt" I just can't understand.

SunshineOnLeith
18-01-2015, 09:12 PM
The current crest would be on the strip - just the original added on the top as well. Perfect compromise.

You're just making this up as you go along now, right? Two badges? :faf:

The Saturn badge was the badge on my first Hibs strip, I'd like my origins of my Hibbyness celebrated too, let's just add a third badge, sound? :aok:

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:16 PM
You're just making this up as you go along now, right? Two badges? :faf:

The Saturn badge was the badge on my first Hibs strip, I'd like my origins of my Hibbyness celebrated too, let's just add a third badge, sound? :aok:

A double crested shirt was discussed at the Wednesday meeting - so cut out the sly digs, eh?

Mr White
18-01-2015, 09:17 PM
The original crest would sit alongside the current if agreed to Hibs.

I realise that but it seems a bit unnecessary given the harp on the current crest. I hope hibs kick the idea into the long grass where it belongs tbh. The small plaque with the marble sounds great actually, just 10 years premature.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Don't really appreciate the undertones of your accusations of the branch and it is something I am sure the committee would vehemently deny.

I'm fine with that but my point seems pretty fair given your branch have submitted a motion to HFC to have a harp with shamrocks on the top when we already have a harp present. Therefore, the only difference is the shamrocks?

What other conclusion do you want me to come to?

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 09:21 PM
A double crested shirt was discussed at the Wednesday meeting - so cut out the sly digs, eh?

Were you at the meeting on Wednesday? If so, did everyone accept the plan or was the discussion/feelings mixed?

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:25 PM
I realise that but it seems a bit unnecessary given the harp on the current crest. I hope hibs kick the idea into the long grass where it belongs tbh. The small plaque with the marble sounds great actually, just 10 years premature.

Kicked in the grass and consigned to the History books? Appreciate the harp is incorporated in its current form and you've stated your objections previously. Out of interest what do you think of the St Pats crest?

DaveF
18-01-2015, 09:27 PM
It is paying tribute to those that struggled against prejudice, poverty and discrimination to form our club. It is also respect to our founders something the club has long done thanks to the many supporter led initiatives - the Hannan and Whelehan bust, the Dan McMichael headstone, the brass plaque at St Pats church, the centenary mass of Cannon Hannan and refurbishment of his headstone all supported by the club. This isn't obsession of our roots but respect of them.

I share your thoughts - we are a broad church - but I don't understand why some always say 'I respect our past' but any attempt to celebrate it gets shot down.

Were any of the above 'shot down'?

I'll answer for you - No.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Were you at the meeting on Wednesday? If so, did everyone accept the plan or was the discussion/feelings mixed?

Wasn't at the meeting but was told this by someone who was. As Kevin stated earlier, the proposal was agreed upon.

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Wasn't at the meeting but was told this by someone who was. As Kevin stated earlier, the proposal was agreed upon.

:aok:Thanks for that.

Do you know if their were discussions to put the extra badge on the back of the neck area of the strip?

Mr White
18-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Kicked in the grass and consigned to the History books? Appreciate the harp is incorporated in its current form and you've stated your objections previously. Out of interest what do you think of the St Pats crest?

I like it and I used to have a similar one as my avatar on here. I've explained why I think it would be a backward step for hibs to push that kind of symbolism. Outside quite a small section of our support it would be seen as pushing something that doesn't really exist anymore at hibs. There are any number of appropriate ways to do what you're proposing, how about a plaque at St patricks church or the venue you use for branch meetings? Trying to directly influence what's on the strip is disproportionate to your supporter club's size amongst the wider support IMO.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Were any of the above 'shot down'?

I'll answer for you - No.

That's a clever response but the proposal is being shot down by several on this thread. In the past week or so, my branch has been accused as being a version of the "green brigade" and now Irish obsessed. The branch is an inclusive bunch who merely wanted to continually honour the part St Patrick's played in the founding of our club.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 09:38 PM
That's a clever response but the proposal is being shot down by several on this thread. In the past week or so, my branch has been accused as being a version of the "green brigade" and now Irish obsessed. The branch is an inclusive bunch who merely wanted to continually honour the part St Patrick's played in the founding of our club.

It's not a clever answer, it's just a fact to counter a nonsense post you made claiming that any attempt to celebrate the club's history was shot down.

The only thing that's being questioned here is why 140 years merits any sort of celebration and why we need a harp on the badge when we already have one.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 09:39 PM
I like it and I used to have a similar one as my avatar on here. I've explained why I think it would be a backward step for hibs to push that kind of symbolism. Outside quite a small section of our support it would be seen as pushing something that doesn't really exist anymore at hibs. There are any number of appropriate ways to do what you're proposing, how about a plaque at St patricks church or the venue you use for branch meetings? Trying to directly influence what's on the strip is disproportionate to your supporter club's size amongst the wider support IMO.

We've already presented the church with a plaque with Petrie, Fenlon and Stanton amongst others in attendance.

When the club had discussions and supporter led crest designs prior to our current crest - were you in favour in returning the harp as our crest?

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 09:40 PM

I'm sorry, I can't answer that as it wasn't me who proposed it. IMHO, I suppose I wonder why folk who are married mark their 25th, 40th, 50th and 60th anniversaries and not their 18th, 21st etc like birthdays :greengrin

The original crest/badge is here (http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/) :aok:

BroxburnHibee
18-01-2015, 09:42 PM
The harp is already in the club crest. There's no need for another crest at all IMO.

I think the plaque idea is a good one but still have no idea why St Pats have chosen to focus on 140. The idea that some members of the branch might not live to see it is a rather morbid way of doing these things IMO.

Anyway I sincerely hope this doesn't happen (the strip idea that is)

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 09:42 PM

This is actually what happened :aok:

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry, I can't answer that as it wasn't me who proposed it. IMHO, I suppose I wonder why folk who are married mark their 25th, 40th, 50th and 60th anniversaries and not their 18th, 21st etc like birthdays :greengrin

Other branches are available...http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/pages/supportersgroups :aok:

Mr White
18-01-2015, 09:44 PM
We've already presented the church with a plaque with Petrie, Fenlon and Stanton amongst others in attendance.

Sounds like job done then

When the club had discussions and supporter led crest designs prior to our current crest - were you in favour in returning the harp as our crest?

No, for the reasons I stated earlier. The current crest represents Ireland, Edinburgh and Leith. Pushing an Irish agenda above that at hibs is a bad idea that will (IMO) find little support amongst most hibs fans these days.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 09:47 PM

As already stated, I would be against 2 harps as there simply isn't any need and I would not want the Irish text either if that was to be incorporated. That would not be reflective of the vast majority of Hibernian supporters.

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 09:47 PM

This was discussed but as, IIRC, the building where Hibs were founded no longer exists (near the old Dick Vet), it was thought the stadium would be the best bet.

Re your second point, they are merely suggestions and that is why they were run past the club and Working Together-to gauge the mood, if you like. The badge/crest/emblem would be quite small, from what I've heard, for what it's worth :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
18-01-2015, 09:48 PM

So when you whinged that "any attempt to celebrate" our history gets shot down, what you meant was, "this particular attempt to thrust our Irish origins into the limelight is being shot down", right?

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 09:50 PM
As already stated, I would be against 2 harps as there simply isn't any need and I would not want the Irish text either if that was to be incorporated. That would not be reflective of the vast majority of Hibernian supporters.

Fair enough. I'm not that keen on overly promoting the origins of the club myself, as I believe it is well-represented as it is, but that's what the branch as a whole is proposing so :dunno:

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Other branches are available...http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/pages/supportersgroups :aok:

You're quite correct but I didn't know where else a picture of the original badge would be :greengrin

DaveF
18-01-2015, 09:53 PM
This was discussed but as, IIRC, the building where Hibs were founded no longer exists (near the old Dick Vet), it was thought the stadium would be the best bet.

Re your second point, they are merely suggestions and that is why they were run past the club and Working Together-to gauge the mood, if you like. The badge/crest/emblem would be quite small, from what I've heard, for what it's worth :greengrin

Are you still involved in WT Suzy? Do you know how many people actually make up WT nowadays (and how many are St Pats members who approved this topic*)

*Just kidding :greengrin (sort of)

Bishop Hibee
18-01-2015, 09:53 PM
If the club can manage to have a whole strip commemorating the period when the famous 5 were born it would hardly be extraordinary to have a season with the harp as the crest. I'd prefer it to be on the 150th anniversary as it will coincide with 10 Scottish Cup wins in a row.

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Their's a couple of WT members who are viewing this thread Dave. They might be able to help you.:aok:

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Are you still involved in WT Suzy? Do you know how many people actually make up WT nowadays (and how many are St Pats members who approved this topic*)

No, to the first question :wink: In answer to the second one...it was recommended by the 'powers that be' that St. Pat's should come into the fold again, as decisions have to be run past WT before being put to the wider support... Therefore, a couple of committee members attended.....but from what I've been told, there were around 40 other, new people there, no doubt due to the advertised speaker...who apparently didn't show :greengrin

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 10:00 PM
So when you whinged that "any attempt to celebrate" our history gets shot down, what you meant was, "this particular attempt to thrust our Irish origins into the limelight is being shot down", right?

The proposal isn't an attempt to thrust our Irish origins or any other agenda into supporters. It merely was a proposal to use our original crest - which happens to be a harp - as a means to celebrate 140 years. I'm still trying to understand why some are so uncomfortable with the proposal.

Mr White
18-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Fair enough S, still seems unnecessary to me though.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 10:03 PM
The proposal isn't an attempt to thrust our Irish origins or any other agenda into supporters. It merely was a proposal to use our original crest - which happens to be a harp - as a means to celebrate 140 years. I'm still trying to understand why some are so uncomfortable with the proposal.

Er, because we already have the harp on our badge. I'm still trying to understand why you want to 'celebrate' something that's already there.

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Fair enough S, still seems unnecessary to me though.

Fair enough, B :aok:

DaveF
18-01-2015, 10:05 PM
No, to the first question :wink: In answer to the second one...it was recommended by the 'powers that be' that St. Pat's should come into the fold again, as decisions have to be run past WT before being put to the wider support... Therefore, a couple of committee members attended.....but from what I've been told, there were around 40 other, new people there, no doubt due to the advertised speaker...who apparently didn't show :greengrin

That's good to read Suzy and hopefully that happens if this proposal is taken on by the club. If it's accepted by the wider support then that's fine with me. If not, I hope St Pats don't moan about it being 'shot down'.

Glorious St Pat
18-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Er, because we already have the harp on our badge. I'm still trying to understand why you want to 'celebrate' something that's already there.

It is not uncommon for a club to celebrate an anniversary by reintroducing or incorporating a strip or badge from their origins - Dundee Utd did it as did Celtic and AC Milan.

Eyrie
18-01-2015, 10:08 PM

Sums it up for me.

DaveF
18-01-2015, 10:13 PM
It is not uncommon for a club to celebrate an anniversary by reintroducing or incorporating a strip or badge from their origins - Dundee Utd did it as did Celtic and AC Milan.

Celtic changed it for a season in 1988 to mark 100 years did they not?

Dundee United probably changed it because their badge is ******.

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 10:13 PM
You're quite correct but I didn't know where else a picture of the original badge would be :greengrin

Just posting the other branches for balance and fairness. It's like the old flag debates on here tonight.:greengrin

DaveF
18-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Just posting the other branches for balance and fairness. It's like the old flag debates on here tonight.:greengrin

Indeed. I was actually half expecting the next St Pats motion to be green tops, white shorts and gold socks :greengrin

And with that, I'm off to my bed!

(I'm only teasing before Glorious St Pat gets all serious - It's been a good debate :aok:)

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Indeed. I was actually half expecting the next St Pats motion to be green tops, white shorts and gold socks :greengrin

And with that, I'm off to my bed!

(I'm only teasing before Glorious St Pat gets all serious - It's been a good debate :aok:)

We already have the gold stripe on the white steps with the Green seats. What's not to like.:greengrin

Twiglet
18-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Their's a couple of WT members who are viewing this thread Dave. They might be able to help you.:aok:

I was at the meeting on Wednesday (been involved for about 2 1/2 years now). I am not a member of any branch and don't have any plans to join one either. Don't know how many St Pats were at the meeting, at least 3 I think.

I wouldn't have said the proposal was accepted or agreed to, but it wasn't rejected. It had already been taken to the board prior to the meeting so the wheels were in motion by then.
I do agree it's a bit of an odd number to celebrate (it ends in a "0" so maybe that, just like other birthdays and anniversaries we celebrate in life, at least in my family).
There was a short discussion about it where it was stated that it wasn't replacing the current badge. When talking about strip colour, someone pointed out our original strip was actually white with green socks (hoops were worn from 1876).
Tom from the historical trust also raised that it is 25 years since Hands Off Hibs this year too. A very important part of our history, we might not be here without it!

A crest on the west was brought up when the plaque was brought up. It's something that has been raised on several occasions. It could cost quite a bit to have something really good put up. I don't know if we'd maybe need to apply for planning permission, esp. with Norton House being so close which would take time. It's maybe more of a long term project so we can get it right. Maybe get raised again in there near future to get looked at in more detail?

FranckSuzy
18-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I was at the meeting on Wednesday (been involved for about 2 1/2 years now). I am not a member of any branch and don't have any plans to join one either. Don't know how many St Pats were at the meeting, at least 3 I think.

I wouldn't have said the proposal was accepted or agreed to, but it wasn't rejected. It had already been taken to the board prior to the meeting so the wheels were in motion by then.
I do agree it's a bit of an odd number to celebrate (it ends in a "0" so maybe that, just like other birthdays and anniversaries we celebrate in life, at least in my family).
There was a short discussion about it where it was stated that it wasn't replacing the current badge. When talking about strip colour, someone pointed out our original strip was actually white with green socks (hoops were worn from 1876).
Tom from the historical trust also raised that it is 25 years since Hands Off Hibs this year too. A very important part of our history, we might not be here without it!

A crest on the west was brought up when the plaque was brought up. It's something that has been raised on several occasions. It could cost quite a bit to have something really good put up. I don't know if we'd maybe need to apply for planning permission, esp. with Norton House being so close which would take time. It's maybe more of a long term project so we can get it right. Maybe get raised again in there near future to get looked at in more detail?

Thanks for that, C :aok:

ronaldo7
18-01-2015, 10:39 PM

:aok: Knew we would get to the bottom of it sometime. Those 3 St Pats guys must have swamped the meeting. :greengrin

PatHead
18-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Wasn't aware WT had so much power.

At the WT meeting there was around 40 attendees and the proposal was raised by St Pat's Branch. The 3 proposals were warmly received by everyone at the meeting. (I will mention that I am a St Pat's branch member but it being a St Pat's proposal isn't a reason for agreeing with it.) The main topic of conversation at this time was around turning the strip back to white sleeves which was overall accepted- however you would be amazed at how many fans like the current strip.

To be clear there was no proposal of replacing the current badge with a harp. It is purely to put a little harp on the strip commemorating an anniversary similar to the statement on this year's strip.

There was no proposal to put a harp on the stand but the Crest on the West was raised again and the soulless interior to the stadium was also discussed. A plaque has been discussed commemorating our foundation though no size shape or material was even discussed.

After the discussion it was agreed that it was worth St Pat's "putting meat on the bones" and presenting it again to the next meeting.

Tom Wright also raised commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the saving of our club and that was also warmly received.

Hope that clarifies things.

(Sorry had started tying that but was interrupted. Think Twiglet has answered pretty fully.)

FranckSuzy
19-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Wasn't aware WT had so much power.

At the WT meeting there was around 40 attendees and the proposal was raised by St Pat's Branch. The 3 proposals were warmly received by everyone at the meeting. (I will mention that I am a St Pat's branch member but it being a St Pat's proposal isn't a reason for agreeing with it.) The main topic of conversation at this time was around turning the strip back to white sleeves which was overall accepted- however you would be amazed at how many fans like the current strip.

To be clear there was no proposal of replacing the current badge with a harp. It is purely to put a little harp on the strip commemorating an anniversary similar to the statement on this year's strip.

There was no proposal to put a harp on the stand but the Crest on the West was raised again and the soulless interior to the stadium was also discussed. A plaque has been discussed commemorating our foundation though no size shape or material was even discussed.

After the discussion it was agreed that it was worth St Pat's "putting meat on the bones" and presenting it again to the next meeting.

Tom Wright also raised commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the saving of our club and that was also warmly received.

Hope that clarifies things.

(Sorry had started tying that but was interrupted. Think Twiglet has answered pretty fully.)

Neither was I but that's what the four delegates were told by LD, BL and GO'H

Twiglet
19-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Neither was I but that's what the four delegates were told by LD, BL and GO'H

I suppose once the 2 reps are in place it'll be them theses kinds of things can be referred to/through.

Lucius Apuleius
19-01-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm the same as a few of the others in that I don't see anything more important to celebrate in 140 years than I do in 139. 150, absolutely do something special and I hope I am around to see it:agree: but 140 leaves me a bit cold. A double badged strip sounds like some sort of bird of the feathered kind. Strangely enough I would be for going back to green and white hoops just for the pandemonium it would cause!:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2015, 01:27 PM

How many different people do you need to be told by that the harp on the current badge is quite sufficient?

DaveF
19-01-2015, 01:58 PM
So the proposals are for a harp to celebrate 140 years and something else to celebrate 25 years of hoh?

Well even if the fitba is naff next year we'll have plenty to 'celebrate'

Canongatehibs
19-01-2015, 02:09 PM

Utter tosh.:agree:

Kato
19-01-2015, 02:13 PM

WHy not have the Harp on the badge picked out in gold. Subtle. Leave it at that, a collectors item.

hibbybrian
19-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Brian, unless they were friends of yours how is anyone supposed to know this?

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this. Have the St Pats branch put this idea forward because of this and if so could the OP not have said so. I don't think anyone would have questioned the motive then.

Sorry again.

Hi BH

as I responded to my pal Garry's PM today,

I had a fight with an eight year old last night and unfortunately the bottle of Appletons 8 year old rum won :wink:

I wasn't intending to post after my initial shot but between the rum :drunk: my feeling a bit sorry for myself and the resorting to (in my view) pisstaking with posts about future birthdays etc I got a bit carried away :blah: there just seems to be a great hue and cry about celebrating Hibernian and I don't see why it's such a big deal :confused:

I didn't mean it as having a go at Gary but suppose my drinkaided response was sharper than intended.

Anyway, I'm generally ok just now but who knows :violin:

I'll end with something we can all agree with

GGTTH

Brian

Mr White
19-01-2015, 02:16 PM
WHy not have the Harp on the badge picked out in gold. Subtle. Leave it at that, a collectors item.

That's a nice idea actually, worth revisiting in 2025.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Utter tosh.:agree:

Is it ?

Kato
19-01-2015, 02:37 PM
That's a nice idea actually, worth revisiting in 2025.

Agreed. Not too sure 140th warrents anything. Maybe some ex-players at half-time or something but not such a big deal really is it?

Dashing Bob S
19-01-2015, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see the Harp reintroduced as a single emblem. Don't mind the current badge, but it's a bit cluttered and one strong symbol could be more potent visually and assist in the marketing of the club.
Appreciate that people get all hot under the collar about Scotland/Ireland/bigotry etc, but I think we've grown up a lot as a club, and thus transcend any sectarian agenda others attempt to rope us into.

Bostonhibby
19-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Top idea, would support it and buy it modernity and the past in the right proportions. If we are doing something this time around this feels like it

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 03:09 PM
I'd like to see the Harp reintroduced as a single emblem. Don't mind the current badge, but it's a bit cluttered and one strong symbol could be more potent visually and assist in the marketing of the club.
Appreciate that people get all hot under the collar about Scotland/Ireland/bigotry etc, but I think we've grown up a lot as a club, and thus transcend any sectarian agenda others attempt to rope us into.

I wish you were right DB but I fear that in some quarters, like it or not, an overtly Irish symbol as our badge would be used as a stick to beat us with, which is a pity because the harp on its own is really nice. IMO after years of trying we got it right with the current badge and its time to leave it alone.

I have no problem with folk preserving and celebrating the clubs past. But there is a tipping point where celebrating the past starts to look like a desire to return to it .... That point differs amongst the support, but from the many posts on this subject on other threads I would guess a lot of folk share my view as to when a line is being crossed.

Islington Hibs
19-01-2015, 03:14 PM
This thread shows how divisive this issue is and should be kicked into touch ASAP.

However why not have the Harp, for one game, to represent our Irish origins, the Scottish flag the week after for obvious reasons, the European flag the next week to represent our European campaigns and the British flag the week after to commemorate Joe Baker and being the first British club in Europe. I am sure there are a few other flags I have forgotten along the way to ensure all are happy .:greengrin

No I do not want my club hijacked by one interest. If St Pats want to design their own strip to sell themselves good on them, but absolutely not on the clubs colours.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 03:53 PM
This thread shows how divisive this issue is and should be kicked into touch ASAP.

However why not have the Harp, for one game, to represent our Irish origins, the Scottish flag the week after for obvious reasons, the European flag the next week to represent our European campaigns and the British flag the week after to commemorate Joe Baker and being the first British club in Europe. I am sure there are a few other flags I have forgotten along the way to ensure all are happy .:greengrin

No I do not want my club hijacked by one interest. If St Pats want to design their own strip to sell themselves good on them, but absolutely not on the clubs colours.

That would involve a Hibs strip with more stars on it than the The Rangers have, the last thing any of us want to see is the club dragged before the SFA :confused:

NYHibby
19-01-2015, 04:02 PM

I'd support this if we also used the U.S. flag for Gerry Baker...

Glorious St Pat
19-01-2015, 04:21 PM
I wish you were right DB but I fear that in some quarters, like it or not, an overtly Irish symbol as our badge would be used as a stick to beat us with, which is a pity because the harp on its own is really nice. IMO after years of trying we got it right with the current badge and its time to leave it alone.

I have no problem with folk preserving and celebrating the clubs past. But there is a tipping point where celebrating the past starts to look like a desire to return to it .... That point differs amongst the support, but from the many posts on this subject on other threads I would guess a lot of folk share my view as to when a line is being crossed.

There should be no problem with using our original crest alongside the current one but "as a stick to beat us with" I do not agree with and it says a lot of those with prejudiced minds. Why pander to them? We were founded by Irishmen and chose the 'most Irish name of all'. After all the struggles the club remains and this is something we should be rightly proud of.

Jack
19-01-2015, 04:22 PM
I'd support this if we also used the U.S. flag for Gerry Baker...

If we did it for all nationalities that who have played for us it would look like a United Nations strip!

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 04:32 PM
If we did it for all nationalities that who have played for us it would look like a United Nations strip!

When Michael Whelan was praying for the inspiration to come up with a name for the club and he remembered from his schooldays that the Roman name for Ireland was Hibernia I wonder if he could have imagined all the different nationalities that would play for the club.

.Sean.
19-01-2015, 04:39 PM
So the proposals are for a harp to celebrate 140 years and something else to celebrate 25 years of hoh?

Well even if the fitba is naff next year we'll have plenty to 'celebrate'
An absolute nonsense IMO, Dave.

3pm
19-01-2015, 04:41 PM
What's the plan for 2016/17 for the Skol Cup anniversary?

DaveF
19-01-2015, 04:41 PM
There should be no problem with using our original crest alongside the current one but "as a stick to beat us with" I do not agree with and it says a lot of those with prejudiced minds. Why pander to them? We were founded by Irishmen and chose the 'most Irish name of all'. After all the struggles the club remains and this is something we should be rightly proud of.

Someone might have pointed this out already :rolleyes: but the original crest is already on the current one.

DaveF
19-01-2015, 04:42 PM
An absolute nonsense IMO, Dave.

My post or the celebration? I am prone to posting nonsense so just trying to work out what you mean :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
19-01-2015, 04:46 PM

You mentioned shamrocks in an earlier post, our first badge was a plain harp with writing underneath, no shamrock leaves......

Pretty Boy
19-01-2015, 05:13 PM
What's the plan for 2016/17 for the Skol Cup anniversary?

Red strip with a big green star to commemorate Benjis 2 goals surely.

Half white and half navy for Scotland and England to remember the other 2 scorers as well.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 05:38 PM

There are elements out there who would love to drive a wedge between Hibs and the Edinburgh fitba public by painting us as the go to club for only a certain part of the city's population and by implication presenting another club as the alternative. As things stand those elements have nowhere to go, and no matter how correct your "why pander to them?" statement is morally, I think we should be very careful about any possibility of handing them an opportunity.

As things go I don't have a problem with Hibs going to a Harp only badge for one season ( say at 150 years ) but why a separate Harp on a strip which already has a badge with a Harp on it and why for 140 years, a number which as far as I can see holds no significance either in generally accepted terms or to the club in particular.

Taking a pragmatic approach to the clubs image and the way it is perceived in order to preserve the current situation it and its supporters have worked so hard to get to does not reflect any problem with the clubs history and hell mend anybody who suggests it does.

Carheenlea
19-01-2015, 05:53 PM
The more I think about marking 140 years, the more unnecessary it seems. The point has already been made earlier that for those who won`t be around to see the the 150th, they would have been able to enjoy the great landmark in 1975, the centenary.
I`m 45, so while I was around at the centenary I was too young celebrate it as a 5 year old, but those of us born in the 70`s and 80`s will hopefully be able to celebrate the 150th anniversary. Just doesn't really make sense to me.

Brightside
19-01-2015, 05:55 PM

We are a Scottish team from Edinburgh. I'd rather we didn't pander to a few people who think differently. and still no one has told us why 140 years means anything.

Glorious St Pat
19-01-2015, 06:00 PM
You mentioned shamrocks in an earlier post, our first badge was a plain harp with writing underneath, no shamrock leaves......

Here you go

JimBHibees
19-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Here you go

Is it not clear from the feedback that the idea isn't that popular with the majority or does that not matter?

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Here you go

Thats a monstrosity, i much prefer todays crest which says all you need to know about us from day 1 right to the present day.

Blaster
19-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Is it not clear from the feedback that the idea isn't that popular with the majority or does that not matter?

I am with you mate. Waste of time and as someone stated earlier becoming divisive. 150 years yes do something but not at 140.

Glorious St Pat
19-01-2015, 06:14 PM
And from the 1950's

Mr White
19-01-2015, 06:43 PM
And from the 1950's

The mosaic one is a thing of beauty.

Glorious St Pat
19-01-2015, 06:46 PM
We are a Scottish team from Edinburgh. I'd rather we didn't pander to a few people who think differently. and still no one has told us why 140 years means anything.

Totally agree we are a Scottish team and it would be interesting to see a poll on my original post.

It is interesting note that a club that struggled for acceptance amidst hostility and prejudice is 140 years later facing similar hostility from its own supporters for a mere acknowledgment (and a small one by accounts of Wednesday's meeting) of the part our founders played all those years ago.

Mr White
19-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Totally agree we are a Scottish team and it would be interesting to see a poll on my original post.

It is interesting note that a club that struggled for acceptance amidst hostility and prejudice is 140 years later facing similar hostility from its own supporters for a mere acknowledgment (and a small one by accounts of Wednesday's meeting) of the part our founders played all those years ago.

Post a poll then. I haven't seen any hostility in this thread, just people posting their opinion, as is our right as much as it is yours. You don't have much tolerance for people disagreeing with you do you?

Brightside
19-01-2015, 06:54 PM

This is getting mental now. WHY 140 YEARS. Also there is no hostility from the supporters. We are asked opinion and we say no thanks. I'm sure you can have a celebration every week at your branch if you fancy.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Bull, have a look at our current strip. All the acknowledgement is right there staring you and every Hibs fan in the face. I suppose for the 150th we could have a giant shamrock on the front, maybe a 4 leaf clover for 175 and a green white and gold strip for the 200th.

marinello59
19-01-2015, 06:57 PM

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2015, 07:03 PM

What did your branch do to celebrate 139 years of Hibs?

scoopyboy
19-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Rather than post a poll how about you just meet up with the Four in Hand, Carlton and East Lothian Hibs branches at Dumfries on Saturday and all four branches can talk it through then.

BroxburnHibee
19-01-2015, 07:12 PM

The acknowledgement is already in our badge - dear oh dear.

Baldy Foghorn
19-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Here you go

That was not the original crest

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 07:24 PM
What did your branch do to celebrate 139 years of Hibs?

I actually visited here, but the cup still never came home.

http://www.diceyreillys.com/the_blarney_stone.html

ronaldo7
19-01-2015, 07:26 PM
When did Perez get oot the hoose.:greengrin

Eyrie
19-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Maybe we should go the whole hog with our tribute to 140 years ago and make it mandatory that all of our players must be members of the Catholic Young Men's Society as well? This is the 21st century, and we are an inclusive club with an inclusive badge that pays proper homage to our origins whilst reflecting our broader appeal.

Incidentally, I don't recall anything being done to commemorate 130 years.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 07:27 PM

Baldy Foghorn
19-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Nice one Katie:wink:

Brooster
19-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Rather than post a poll how about you just meet up with the Four in Hand, Carlton and East Lothian Hibs branches at Dumfries on Saturday and all four branches can talk it through then.

What time is the St Pats bus rolling up this week?

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 07:34 PM
I think everyone yes me included would be quite happy if we had our 150th anniversary strip a replica of our original strip.

The problem is why 140, and then what would we do then for 150? 140 means nothing.

hibbymick
19-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Its a load o bullocks.

Glorious St Pat
19-01-2015, 08:01 PM
What time is the St Pats bus rolling up this week?

Unsure if they are even running one - has been discussed though.

I've said my piece and am in favour of the branch proposal. It is now in the hands of the board and let's await their response. Regardless of your opinion at least the branch took the initiative again to commemorate our historic past - a core and proud aim of the branch.

3pm
19-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Regardless of your opinion at least the branch took the initiative again to commemorate our historic past - a core and proud aim of the branch.

Right, enough's enough.

I am a branch member. The branch has done some excellent work and has received widespread praise from many Hibs fans including the users of Hibs.net.

However, you specifically are diminishing the goodwill towards the branch with your crap. Give it a rest before the rest of us get tarred with the same brush as you.

Halfwit.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2015, 08:19 PM
I think everyone yes me included would be quite happy if we had our 150th anniversary strip a replica of our original strip.

The problem is why 140, and then what would we do then for 150? 140 means nothing.

Correct.

As an aside am I right in thinking we changed to the current badge at the time of the 125th anniversary? Sure it was chosen as it embrace past and present well.

.Sean.
19-01-2015, 08:29 PM
My post or the celebration? I am prone to posting nonsense so just trying to work out what you mean :greengrin
The post :greengrin

Jokes. The celebration is nonsense.

Beefster
19-01-2015, 08:38 PM

http://community.spiceworks.com/attachments/post/0010/0357/implied-facepalm.jpg

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Correct.

As an aside am I right in thinking we changed to the current badge at the time of the 125th anniversary? Sure it was chosen as it embrace past and present well.

Was it 14 years ago already? Christ time fly's.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2015, 08:44 PM

I've said my piece and am in favour of the branch proposal. It is now in the hands of the board and let's await their response. Regardless of your opinion at least the branch took the initiative again to commemorate our historic past - a core and proud aim of the branch.

DaveF
19-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Right, enough's enough.

I am a branch member. The branch has done some excellent work and has received widespread praise from many Hibs fans including the users of Hibs.net.

However, you specifically are diminishing the goodwill towards the branch with your crap. Give it a rest before the rest of us get tarred with the same brush as you.

Halfwit.

Great post.

hibbymick
19-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Without going back through the threads I thought you said certain motions had been accepted by the board.

Is this board is just accepting any old idea from any Tom , Dick and Harry just to keep on the side of the fans.

silverhibee
19-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Right, enough's enough.

Halfwit.

SdGP :agree:s

Jack
19-01-2015, 09:23 PM

As a branch member it would possibly be in everyone's interest if you let elected branch officials report branch policies and proposals on here, if they felt the need, and if you were so inclined following that to express your support.

I was under the impression that St Pat's is quite explicit in that anyone speaking on their behalf needs a mandate.

Do you have a mandate?

If not, in my opinion, you are doing neither yourself nor your Branch any favours.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2015, 10:38 PM

You could have a point there G St P:

I often say to myself "Hibs play in Green, have a Harp in the badge and are called Hibernian, the official site, historical trust site and Wikipedia page all pay homage to the clubs founders at length ( even if the Wiki page is still corrupted by some fanciful conjecture dressed up as fact which for some reason seems immovable ) but are we doing enough?"

FranckSuzy
19-01-2015, 10:42 PM

Right, enough's enough.

Halfwit.

Maybe you should try this >>>> :lips seal

Mr GSP

Whilst I wish you no ill, as a committee member of St. Pat's I must ask you to refrain from dragging the branch's name through the mud. As you should know, the branch is open to all religions and indeed those of no religion YET you seem hell-bent on bringing everything back to our Irish roots. May I suggest, if you wish to speak on behalf of the branch, you seek election first and then, at least, you would have a mandate from our members to leave us open to ridicule and hostility?

Yours sincerely

FS :aok:

Ronniekirk
19-01-2015, 10:51 PM
As a branch member it would possibly be in everyone's interest if you let elected branch officials report branch policies and proposals on here, if they felt the need, and if you were so inclined following that to express your support.

I was under the impression that St Pat's is quite explicit in that anyone speaking on their behalf needs a mandate.

Do you have a mandate?

If not, in my opinion, you are doing neither yourself nor your Branch any favours.

He isn't going to go public on this site if he has a Man Date. Sorry couldn't resist that This thread is becoming all posters versus G S P Given he is so outnumbered maybe he should just stop posting back Mandate or no Mandate .

scoopyboy
20-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Right, enough's enough.

Halfwit.

Well said that man.

scoopyboy
20-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Maybe you should try this >>>> :lips seal

Mr GSP

Whilst I wish you no ill, as a committee member of St. Pat's I must ask you to refrain from dragging the branch's name through the mud. As you should know, the branch is open to all religions and indeed those of no religion YET you seem hell-bent on bringing everything back to our Irish roots. May I suggest, if you wish to speak on behalf of the branch, you seek election first and then, at least, you would have a mandate from our members to leave us open to ridicule and hostility?

Yours sincerely

FS :aok:

Well said that woman.

JimBHibees
20-01-2015, 09:27 AM

No hostility we play in green, our name is Hibernian we have a badge with a harp in it as well as the other key factors in the clubs historic development. Everyone be it Hibs fan or not knows how the club was started and are comfortable with how that is reflected.

What personally I am not comfortable with is your agenda fixated to the past which feels we need to be more Irish including trying to contrive a celebration where none is needed.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2015, 11:57 AM
No hostility we play in green, our name is Hibernian we have a badge with a harp in it as well as the other key factors in the clubs historic development. Everyone be it Hibs fan or not knows how the club was started and are comfortable with how that is reflected.

What personally I am not comfortable with is your agenda fixated to the past which feels we need to be more Irish including trying to contrive a celebration where none is needed.

Nail hit firmly on head. :top marks

BroxburnHibee
20-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Exactly - unfortunately a section of our support want to live and revel in the past (140 years ago by the looks of it) :greengrin

Martinwillis
20-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Ye nike colour templates for next year worry me. Also - the plan is not to replace te crest but to add the harp image to the strip in someway as well as the current crest.

Saturday Boy
20-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Ye nike colour templates for next year worry me. Also - the plan is not to replace te crest but to add the harp image to the strip in someway as well as the current crest.

I remember back in the 90's Mexico had an Aztec calendar in the nap/ pile of the shirt, perhaps that is what is being envisioned? Or do we lack the sales for something like that?

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Can't see the point, why have two harps on the strip? :confused:

Brightside
20-01-2015, 08:51 PM
https://www.theteamfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Nike-Park-Derby-Jersey-Forest.jpg

Saturday Boy
20-01-2015, 08:54 PM
https://www.theteamfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Nike-Park-Derby-Jersey-Forest.jpg

Looks good to me, but I won't commit until I have GSP's approval of no harp on the jersey.

Martinwillis
20-01-2015, 09:00 PM
What had been put forward is to put a hard crest somewhere on the shirt but it is still early days. That is just about the only nike shirts that would work at the moment but having had a sneaky peek at the 15/16 templates which are released to the public on April 1st (no joke) they are poor to say the least... But as poor as the new efforts from adidas!

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2015, 09:03 PM
What had been put forward is to put a hard crest somewhere on the shirt but it is still early days. That is just about the only nike shirts that would work at the moment but having had a sneaky peek at the 15/16 templates which are released to the public on April 1st (no joke) they are poor to say the least... But as poor as the new efforts from adidas!

Can you answer why 2 harps and why 140 years, what is so special about 140?:confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2015, 09:14 PM

What you talking about Willis? ;-)

HappyAsHellas
20-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Has any club ever celebrated 140 years before? What a bloody stupid idea.

3pm
20-01-2015, 09:28 PM
http://youtu.be/Qw9oX-kZ_9k

majorhibs
21-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Can you answer why 2 harps and why 140 years, what is so special about 140?:confused:

Has any club ever celebrated 140 years before? What a bloody stupid idea.

What a bloody stupid, noisy, blinkered set of people seem to support Hibs nowadays. Internets fault defo. This new "breed" of uber critics moan & bitch about EVERYTHING. & I hope they are very proud of themselves. Personally, I wish all these whingers would shut up, & this place could go back to what it was like when it was a half decent read. But I dont really have much hope for that. Some of us, as was alluded, have to face mortality etc. no-one is 16 forever, no matter how much we wish it. But, for the SELFISH SPOILERS who want to STOP some other Hibs Fans, having a time, having a bit of a blast with your like minded people, coming together & actually enjoying & celebrating what you are, including your name, Hibernians, Men From Ireland as it was then, if nowadays some people do not like that - tough. Change the future, but you can't change the past. Sorry. Listen, 140 does not sound good to you, good. Do whatever you do for stimullation. Easy. If someone else fancy's something else, does it need your bloody beak in it? What is wrong with you people, if, you are not motivated by religion?

monktonharp
21-01-2015, 12:41 AM
not trying to get into a flag debate, or any of that stuff but I cant see what the problem is, trying to rejoice in reaching 140 years? are some too stuck up, too sensitive, or just plainly adamant that their view is the only view of Hibs fans? I have not read fully through all the posts on this issue but I am happy with the thought of a special edition shirt, if it happens. cant really be that many football clubs in the world that can boast 140 years in existence. the hmofc would try and claim that, but some have doubts:wink: and not many clubs(other than amateurs) in Glasgow can claim that either:wink: I can think of an Ayrshire club, but very few others in Scotland. 2 harps, for 1 season, lovely.:na na:

EskbankHibby
21-01-2015, 07:09 AM
What a bloody stupid, noisy, blinkered set of people seem to support Hibs nowadays. Internets fault defo. This new "breed" of uber critics moan & bitch about EVERYTHING. & I hope they are very proud of themselves. Personally, I wish all these whingers would shut up, & this place could go back to what it was like when it was a half decent read. But I dont really have much hope for that. Some of us, as was alluded, have to face mortality etc. no-one is 16 forever, no matter how much we wish it. But, for the SELFISH SPOILERS who want to STOP some other Hibs Fans, having a time, having a bit of a blast with your like minded people, coming together & actually enjoying & celebrating what you are, including your name, Hibernians, Men From Ireland as it was then, if nowadays some people do not like that - tough. Change the future, but you can't change the past. Sorry. Listen, 140 does not sound good to you, good. Do whatever you do for stimullation. Easy. If someone else fancy's something else, does it need your bloody beak in it? What is wrong with you people, if, you are not motivated by religion?

Wow.

So for the avoidance of doubt the proposed 140 year celebration is more to do with religion and/ or the mortality of some of our support?

I really hope the club give this the body swerve it clearly deserves.

No offence, feel free to celebrate anything you like. I'm thrilled 'you people' are stimulated by religion but any chance you could avoid using my club as a vehicle for your indulgences?

wpj
21-01-2015, 07:37 AM
I don't really get it, 140 years is a major achievement no doubt but 150 will be very special. Could the club not sell a shirt reflecting 140 years as a one season only merchandise option?

Brooster
21-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Wow.

So for the avoidance of doubt the proposed 140 year celebration is more to do with religion and/ or the mortality of some of our support?

I really hope the club give this the body swerve it clearly deserves.

No offence, feel free to celebrate anything you like. I'm thrilled 'you people' are stimulated by religion but any chance you could avoid using my club as a vehicle for your indulgences?

That's exactly the way I feel EH. The religious agenda from a small minority is tedious and unnecessary to say the least.