PDA

View Full Version : Our 140th anniversary

Pages : 1 [2]

Pretty Boy
21-01-2015, 07:54 AM
That's exactly the way I feel EH. The religious agenda from a small minority is tedious and unnecessary to say the least.

Bloody religion

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2015, 08:12 AM
What a bloody stupid, noisy, blinkered set of people seem to support Hibs nowadays. Internets fault defo. This new "breed" of uber critics moan & bitch about EVERYTHING. & I hope they are very proud of themselves. Personally, I wish all these whingers would shut up, & this place could go back to what it was like when it was a half decent read. But I dont really have much hope for that. Some of us, as was alluded, have to face mortality etc. no-one is 16 forever, no matter how much we wish it. But, for the SELFISH SPOILERS who want to STOP some other Hibs Fans, having a time, having a bit of a blast with your like minded people, coming together & actually enjoying & celebrating what you are, including your name, Hibernians, Men From Ireland as it was then, if nowadays some people do not like that - tough. Change the future, but you can't change the past. Sorry. Listen, 140 does not sound good to you, good. Do whatever you do for stimullation. Easy. If someone else fancy's something else, does it need your bloody beak in it? What is wrong with you people, if, you are not motivated by religion?

I have never read so much bull in all my days reading this forum. Nobody likes a party more than me, i dont need an excuse to go out get pissed and have a great night.

And i wouldn't stop anyone doing the same, and i also do not want to change ANY of our clubs past. Yet i do want to stop the very vocal minority who in my opinion want to go on and on about a small part of our history, and again in my opinion want to turn our club into a mini Celtic.

It wouldnt surprise me if the next thing on the agenda would be more tri colours and a few Irish songs. Our club worked very hard to rid itself from all that sheite, but it still acknowledges where we came from and what we became right on the shirt we all wear with pride.

I will stick my beak in whatever i like sunny jim, especially when its about something like this.

And as for your stimulation quote, really? :faf:

Brightside
21-01-2015, 08:25 AM
What a bloody stupid, noisy, blinkered set of people seem to support Hibs nowadays. Internets fault defo. This new "breed" of uber critics moan & bitch about EVERYTHING. & I hope they are very proud of themselves. Personally, I wish all these whingers would shut up, & this place could go back to what it was like when it was a half decent read. But I dont really have much hope for that. Some of us, as was alluded, have to face mortality etc. no-one is 16 forever, no matter how much we wish it. But, for the SELFISH SPOILERS who want to STOP some other Hibs Fans, having a time, having a bit of a blast with your like minded people, coming together & actually enjoying & celebrating what you are, including your name, Hibernians, Men From Ireland as it was then, if nowadays some people do not like that - tough. Change the future, but you can't change the past. Sorry. Listen, 140 does not sound good to you, good. Do whatever you do for stimullation. Easy. If someone else fancy's something else, does it need your bloody beak in it? What is wrong with you people, if, you are not motivated by religion?

This isnt a club i want any part in.

SunshineOnLeith
21-01-2015, 08:27 AM

Don't drink and post, folks.

Brightside
21-01-2015, 08:27 AM
More important is that link i put up will be next seasons top... but they players will have to come on to the pitch playing a full size harp, doing a jig to some diddly diddly music, and at the end all the fans have to stand up and do the end act from Lord of the Dance.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-01-2015, 08:31 AM
What about the commemorative strips for the previous 139 years for fans that had to face mortality? Where were/are the suggestions for them?

Scott Allan Key
21-01-2015, 08:57 AM
What about the commemorative strips for the previous 139 years for fans that had to face mortality? Where were/are the suggestions for them?

Perhaps we could bring out a line of coffins or gravestones with club emblem on them? No offence meant.

Carheenlea
21-01-2015, 09:01 AM

I`m not a member of St Patrick`s Branch, but I have supported some of their initiatives wholeheartedly. I attended both the Plaque unveiling at St Patrick`s Church and the Dan McMichael rededication in the Eastern Cemetery. It was very much left up to the individual to whether such projects were something that would appeal to them and whether or not they were things they wanted to get involved with. The problem with using the Hibernian strip to display badges and such other than the current club crest is that the supporters are left with no choice in the matter whatsoever.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-01-2015, 09:03 AM
No offence meant.

None from me either. Its obviously becoming an emotive subject to people for whatever reason applies to them.

Mr White
21-01-2015, 09:23 AM
I`m not a member of St Patrick`s Branch, but I have supported some of their initiatives wholeheartedly. I attended both the Plaque unveiling at St Patrick`s Church and the Dan McMichael rededication in the Eastern Cemetery. It was very much left up to the individual to whether such projects were something that would appeal to them and whether or not they were things they wanted to get involved with. The problem with using the Hibernian strip to display badges and such other than the current club crest is that the supporters are left with no choice in the matter whatsoever.
Well said.

HappyAsHellas
21-01-2015, 09:40 AM

I am a man from Leith, not Ireland, I don't believe in religion or fairy tales for grown ups. Will I be alive when the 150th anniversary is celebrated?, I hope so but there's no guarantee. Tell you what, let's have a celebration every year because there's always going to be someone shuffling off this mortal coil.

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Oh dear :bitchy:

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2015, 09:48 AM
More important is that link i put up will be next seasons top... but they players will have to come on to the pitch playing a full size harp, doing a jig to some diddly diddly music, and at the end all the fans have to stand up and do the end act from Lord of the Dance.

:faf:

majorhibs
21-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow.

So for the avoidance of doubt the proposed 140 year celebration is more to do with religion and/ or the mortality of some of our support?

I really hope the club give this the body swerve it clearly deserves.

No offence, feel free to celebrate anything you like. I'm thrilled 'you people' are stimulated by religion but any chance you could avoid using my club as a vehicle for your indulgences?

Just to be clear, religion means absolutely nothing to me, when I say stimulated by religion IMO quite a few here are showing quite a bit of anti one side or the other. That is who I think are using religion when theres no need. Means nothing to me. Hibernians past is what it is. Quite a few protesting too much & using religion in their answers. Why?

Brizo
21-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Most of the people I know who are passionate about our clubs history are atheist, agnostic , Protestant or lapsed Protestant (if that's a phrase). Most probably do have an Irish Catholic ancestry somewhere back down the line but certainly not all of them. So for me, any people bringing "religion" into the debate on either side (I hate to use the word side but this "debate" appears to have become extremely polarised) is at best a red herring and at worst pretty ignorant.

GSP seems to be a bit of a maverick / attention seeker and obviously isn't a spokesperson for St Pats, as other members from that branch have come on and disowned certain of his comments.

As to the proposal im a big fan of the current inclusive club crest but don't see any problem in acknowledging our 140th anniversary with an additional representation of our original crest somewhere on the strip. I would stress in addition to the current badge and not competing with it. I haven't bought a strip since the McBean purple one but this , to me, would be a similarly different and innovative idea. I would definitely buy one for historical collectible reasons.

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Just to be clear, religion means absolutely nothing to me, when I say stimulated by religion IMO quite a few here are showing quite a bit of anti one side or the other. That is who I think are using religion when theres no need. Means nothing to me. Hibernians past is what it is. Quite a few protesting too much & using religion in their answers. Why?

No mate ..... What you are saying is that your 'perception' is that folk are "using religion" in their answers. I have read every post on this thread and can honestly say I have no impression that folk's replies have any pro or anti religious bias or agenda.

Here's the bottom line from my point of view:

Hibernian FC were formed in 1875 by Irish immigrants to Edinburgh. In the beginning the club drew its players and support from Edinburgh's Irish community and as a result, not least due to its church connections, it was a club with an imbedded Catholic ethos.

As time went on the people running the club gradually binned the religious element, which had the affect of opening up the club to the whole community. So much so, that as the years have gone by 99.9% of the people choosing to support Hibs do so because their family does, or because their mates do, or because the think a Green top with White sleeves is utter class.

There is no doubt however that Hibs early years as a club dedicated to only one part of the community has resulted to this day in us having a smaller overall support than Hearts. As things stand today, as I said, family, peer pressure and aesthetics are the only things affecting us ... this still gives us a disadvantage because by virtue of our early history more families support Hearts than Hibs.

If however acknowledgement of and respect for Hibs roots is pushed so hard that the wider perception begins to form that Hibs are once again a club who's allegiances lean more towards Ireland than Scotland, then we will return once again to a situation where the club is disadvantaged in growing its fan base ..... not because of religion, but because why would any budding football fan want to nail his or her colours to the mast of a club which is perceived as Irish when there is an alternative just down the road which has no such ambiguity attached to it.

HIBS:

Proud of our Irish roots
Proud to be an Edinburgh club
Proud to be a Scottish club
Proud to be seen as inclusive to all and as a result proud to be a club for the whole community.

Anything which endangers that will rightly be questioned and if necessary stepped on!

Sermon over .... GGTTH

Andy74
21-01-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't really care about the detail or the method of celebration, I still just think doing anything for 140 years is not worthwhile. Do we do something every five years because its a roundish number?

superfurryhibby
21-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I have never read so much bull in all my days reading this forum. Nobody likes a party more than me, i dont need an excuse to go out get pissed and have a great night.

And i wouldn't stop anyone doing the same, and i also do not want to change ANY of our clubs past. Yet i do want to stop the very vocal minority who in my opinion want to go on and on about a small part of our history, and again in my opinion want to turn our club into a mini Celtic.

It wouldnt surprise me if the next thing on the agenda would be more tri colours and a few Irish songs. Our club worked very hard to rid itself from all that sheite, but it still acknowledges where we came from and what we became right on the shirt we all wear with pride.

I will stick my beak in whatever i like sunny jim, especially when its about something like this.

And as for your stimulation quote, really? :faf:

The small part in our history is incorrect. The football club were owned by Irish or of Irish origin families until the takeover by Harry Swan in the 1930's. That is almost half our history. The current owner is a direct decendent of these very people and I'm pretty sure that his family links to Hibs were a part of his motivation in getting involved back in those dark days of the Mercer debacle, as were his ties to Leith.

I would also say that Hibs have many fans who are descended from Irish immigrants, proportionally, much more so than our neighbours across the way. A profile of our fanbase would show that we retain a higher level of support from that area than say a team like Aberdeen. However, I'm not aware of any clamour for plastic paddyism originating from them. It's just not an issue.

What bothers me, speaking as an athiest with no Irish background, is our own fans who cannot stomach our origins.

If we originated as a works team and were attached to a particular industry, would we have the same level of debate about recognising our heritage? Clearly the answer is No! As for the club working hard to rid itself of "all that sheite". I would say that the club generally did nothing. It was the broader societal trends that made the difference. The decreasing intensity of the troubles in the later part of the 1980's made a the difference.

FWIW, 140 is nonsense. Manufactured celebration and worthless. Let's save our energy for 150 years, that would seem more appropriate. I would be all for some kind of commemoration on that anniversary. Maybe we could have a change strip that uses the hoops and original crest then?

Pete
21-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Don't see the problem with this. It's only for one season and it's not as if anyone is trying to "celticise" us by stealth. 140 ends in a zero so I'm cool about that.

I hope people aren't objecting because they don't like a certain individual who is endorsing this.

We've nothing to be ashamed of by promoting an important part of our heritage for one year.

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2015, 06:03 PM
The small part in our history is incorrect. The football club were owned by Irish or of Irish origin families until the takeover by Harry Swan in the 1930's. That is almost half our history. The current owner is a direct decendent of these very people and I'm pretty sure that his family links to Hibs were a part of his motivation in getting involved back in those dark days of the Mercer debacle, as were his ties to Leith.

I would also say that Hibs have many fans who are descended from Irish immigrants, proportionally, much more so than our neighbours across the way. A profile of our fanbase would show that we retain a higher level of support from that area than say a team like Aberdeen. However, I'm not aware of any clamour for plastic paddyism originating from them. It's just not an issue.

What bothers me, speaking as an athiest with no Irish background, is our own fans who cannot stomach our origins.

If we originated as a works team and were attached to a particular industry, would we have the same level of debate about recognising our heritage? Clearly the answer is No! As for the club working hard to rid itself of "all that sheite". I would say that the club generally did nothing. It was the broader societal trends that made the difference. The decreasing intensity of the troubles in the later part of the 1980's made a the difference.

FWIW, 140 is nonsense. Manufactured celebration and worthless. Let's save our energy for 150 years, that would seem more appropriate. I would be all for some kind of commemoration on that anniversary. Maybe we could have a change strip that uses the hoops and original crest then?

Sorry but this is just not so. I doubt there is a single Hibby out there who has a problem with the clubs origins. This is the go to argument for those in our support who appear to want to push the clubs Irish roots so far into the present that it becomes detrimental to us. If you advise caution in these matters you must be ashamed or embarrassed by the clubs Irish origins. Well speaking as a Christian ( if not a very good one ) who does have an Irish background I think saying we have fans who "cannot stomach our origins" is nonsense.

Your works team analogy is a good one, but the discussion here is do I as a Hibby want to support a Scottish football team or an Irish one? and the answer is a Scottish one ..... Like many Hibs fans I live in fear of my club ending up as a diet Celtic and the loyalty to Scotland of the club and its supporters being called into question. My attitude would be the same if the club had been founded by Welshmen or Outer Mongolians.

superfurryhibby
21-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Sorry but this is just not so. I doubt there is a single Hibby out there who has a problem with the clubs origins. This is the go to argument for those in our support who appear to want to push the clubs Irish roots so far into the present that it becomes detrimental to us. If you advise caution in these matters you must be ashamed or embarrassed by the clubs Irish origins. Well speaking as a Christian ( if not a very good one ) who does have an Irish background I think saying we have fans who "cannot stomach our origins" is nonsense.

Your works team analogy is a good one, but the discussion here is do I as a Hibby want to support a Scottish football team or an Irish one? and the answer is a Scottish one ..... Like many Hibs fans I live in fear of my club ending up as a diet Celtic and the loyalty to Scotland of the club and its supporters being called into question. My attitude would be the same if the club had been founded by Welshmen or Outer Mongolians.

The discussion is not about supporting a Scottish or Irish team, that is pretty laughable as a concept. I also think it's incredibly naive to say that there isn't some element of "discomfort" from some Hibees fans about our origins. As for caution, not sure what you mean?

Iggy Pope
21-01-2015, 08:07 PM
What you talking about Willis? ;-)

That is very good :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Wow!I have spent some considerable time reading every single post on this thread and wish I hadn't bothered. I have read about Irish roots,religion,harps,shamrocks, two badges, 140 years and the fact that we can't all be around to see everything we would wish to. Celebrating 140 years seems like moving the goalposts to suit a very small minority to me.

Eyrie
21-01-2015, 09:32 PM
We're called Hibs, play in green and have a harp in our badge. Speaking as a Scottish devout atheist, I'd say that is a fair reflection of our origin just as the ship and castle reflect our much broader identity.

Glorious St Pat
21-01-2015, 10:50 PM
And in the mean time I'm:

'Talking crap'
A 'halfwit'
'Maverick and attention seeker'
Have an 'agenda'
No 'mandate' to support St Pat's initiative
And generally public enemy number one.

As originally stated, merely passed on information that I was told on Saturday. Let's just wait and see what the board response is if any at all.

NYHibby
22-01-2015, 12:30 AM

'Talking crap'
A 'halfwit'
Have an 'agenda'

As originally stated, merely passed on information that I was told on Saturday. Let's just wait and see what the board response is if any at all.

Don't be silly. You're not public enemy #1. The guys of HoH are.

You're slightly further down the list...

superfurryhibby
22-01-2015, 06:29 AM
We're called Hibs, play in green and have a harp in our badge. Speaking as a Scottish devout atheist, I'd say that is a fair reflection of our origin just as the ship and castle reflect our much broader identity.

No one disputes that. My point is that despite the very obvious, there are fans who are struggle with that. Just read the underlying implications of some of the comment s on here.

marinello59
22-01-2015, 06:32 AM
No one disputes that. My point is that despite the very obvious, there are fans who are struggle with that. Just read the underlying implications of some of the comment s on here.

I think you are reading something that isn't there. I have never met a single Hibs fan who is uncomfortable with our origins or history.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2015, 06:39 AM

What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that some Hibs fans are uncomfortable with our history and origins, I find that notion bizzare!

superfurryhibby
22-01-2015, 07:23 AM
What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that some Hibs fans are uncomfortable with our history and origins, I find that notion bizzare!

Do you remember the trend towards green and black union jacks and some very right wing views amongst a certain section of our support? I assume they weren't that comfortable with us being Scottish , never mind having been founded by Irish immigrants?

Nomeancity
22-01-2015, 08:23 AM
The discussion is not about supporting a Scottish or Irish team, that is pretty laughable as a concept. I also think it's incredibly naive to say that there isn't some element of "discomfort" from some Hibees fans about our origins. As for caution, not sure what you mean?

Please explain why there would be discomfort. Other than you I have never heard anyone express discomfort. Why should you be uncomfortable about it? Strange post?

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Do you remember the trend towards green and black union jacks and some very right wing views amongst a certain section of our support? I assume they weren't that comfortable with us being Scottish , never mind having been founded by Irish immigrants?

No sorry lost me completely, not comfortable with us being Scottish never mind founded by Irish immigrants! Were these fans you speak of conscripted or did they choose to support this Irish immigrant founded Scottish team? I think you're seeing things that don't really exist but hey ho that's your opinion.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2015, 09:52 AM

1 ) ..... No its not "laughable", just look at the history of Scottish and Edinburgh football

2 ) ..... Where is your proof for that statement? In 40 years as a supporter I have never met a Hibby who had a problem with the clubs origins

3) ..... I'm sure you know exactly what I mean by caution

Canongatehibs
22-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Wow!I have spent some considerable time reading every single post on this thread and wish I hadn't bothered. I have read about Irish roots,religion,harps,shamrocks, two badges, 140 years and the fact that we can't all be around to see everything we would wish to. Celebrating 140 years seems like moving the goalposts to suit a very small minority to me.

And by not doing it would suit a very small minority like you.:agree:

McD
22-01-2015, 09:59 AM
:top marks

I am a ST holder because my father was a supporter, because it was his local team, my son is for exactly the same reason. Nothing else! I respect the history of our club but I know of Hibbies who come from all areas of our society, including one who has been a high-heid-yin in the Masonic Lodge. We have all one thing in common - we will all cry like babies when/if we win the Holy Grail!

In the last few years the only part of our badge that might be deemed inappropriate is the football, given the style and efforts on the pitch :wink:

My entire family's Hibs supporting tradition in a nutshell. My great grandfather and his sons, my grandfather and his sons, my father, my brother and I, my nephews. Hibs supporters all, because it was the local team and a family tradition.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2015, 10:10 AM

Eh?

As far as I can see the Green & Black Union Jack is if anything a gentle two fingers to the Glasgow and Edinburgh 'Billy boy' element.

As for a right wing element in our support. If that's based on a few neds singing the vile 'Edinburgh is wonderful' song and the Skacel song I think you are putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. A tiny minority of ill educated racists and a slightly higher number displaying a depressing lack of knowledge as to what constitutes a refugee, in an attempt to wind up a hated opposition player, is a long way removed from the KKK and midnight torchlight parades.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Fair enough but how do we know who is in the minority? A club survey is required. 150 years would be the majority response if the two were proposed is my guess.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Fair enough but how do we know who is in the minority? A club survey is required.

If the club are contemplating this bizarre 140th anniversary strip surely a survey of the fans is the way forward. Perhaps St Pats could just sell a branch t-shirt and they could have as many different emblems/badges on it as they like.

Nomeancity
22-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Let's all just stop this nonsense. Nobody celebrates 140 for anything. It's stupid. Save it for 150.

This thread really makes me feel my age, I remember ordering the '100 years of hibs' book at the local newsagent. Imagine now going into your local shop and asking if they can order a book for you. They'd phone the polis thinking you'd escaped.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Let's all just stop this nonsense. Nobody celebrates 140 for anything. It's stupid. Save it for 150.

This thread really makes me feel my age, I remember ordering the '100 years of hibs' book at the local newsagent. Imagine now going into your local shop and asking if they can order a book for you. They'd phone the polis thinking you'd escaped.

Especially if you were trying to buy the 140 years of Hibs book.

Kato
22-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Nobody celebrates 140 for anything. It's stupid.

Aston Villa put up a lamp-post or something.

sadtom
22-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Maybe we should do something in four years time...or would that be gross?!:duck::offski:

HibbyRod
22-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Maybe we should do something in four years time...or would that be gross?!:duck::offski:

Nice one! :aok:

Nomeancity
22-01-2015, 12:24 PM

You still don't celebrate a dozen dozens.

silverhibee
22-01-2015, 12:35 PM

'Talking crap'
A 'halfwit'
Have an 'agenda'

And how many of these responses came from St Pat's members, they seemed a tad pissed off with some of your comments on this thread.

Mr Petrie wins that title. You ain't even in the running. :aok:

Brightside
22-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Eh? The minority are the ones wanting a 140 yr celebration.

majorhibs
22-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Eh? The minority are the ones wanting a 140 yr celebration.

You, or anyone on "Hibs.net" know this how? So many potential world leaders on here...

Eyrie
22-01-2015, 07:36 PM
You, or anyone on "Hibs.net" know this how? So many potential world leaders on here...

The majority of the posters on this thread don't see any special significance in 140 years, compared to 139 or 141 years. There is a minority who think it is significant.

I'd say that this site provides a better reflection of the wider Hibs support than talking with a few like minded mates in the stand or pub.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2015, 07:43 PM
The majority of the posters on this thread don't see any special significance in 140 years, compared to 139 or 141 years. There is a minority who think it is significant.

I'd say that this site provides a better reflection of the wider Hibs support than talking with a few like minded mates in the stand or pub.

Not so sure it does to be honest.

Eyrie
22-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Not so sure it does to be honest.

I'd say the sheer number of posters makes it more representative than a group of friends. Plenty of opportunity for people to post in support of one side or the other in any discussion on .net.

pacorosssco
22-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Not a direct response at you . I disagree Hibs.net is not the voice of hibs and those who attend games/support it is an internet forum. A good outlet for fans and socially akward but does not express the views of the hibernian fc support as a whole or a half.

Eyrie
22-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Not a direct response at you . I disagree Hibs.net is not the voice of hibs and those who attend games/support it is an internet forum. A good outlet for fans and socially akward but does not express the views of the hibernian fc support as a whole or a half.

I didn't say that .net is representative of the entire fan base, just that it is more representative than talking to a couple of dozen mates.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Eh?

As far as I can see the Green & Black Union Jack is if anything a gentle two fingers to the Glasgow and Edinburgh 'Billy boy' element.

As for a right wing element in our support. If that's based on a few neds singing the vile 'Edinburgh is wonderful' song and the Skacel song I think you are putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. A tiny minority of ill educated racists and a slightly higher number displaying a depressing lack of knowledge as to what constitutes a refugee, in an attempt to wind up a hated opposition player, is a long way removed from the KKK and midnight torchlight parades.

That flag was used to demonstrate the leanings of some of the group that used it. I know for fact that there was a strong racist agenda amongst some of the fandango base. The same folk that felt the need to use it were not thinking about Glasgow. I'm not saying that we have a massive racist or anti Irish element, I'm telling you that there are some who are of a disposition that doesn't embrace our roots. Can you be anti Irish and support Hibs? I think so. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has the Bawz to maybe clarify. Any takers?

DaveF
22-01-2015, 08:58 PM
That flag was used to demonstrate the leanings of some of the group that used it. I know for fact that there was a strong racist agenda amongst some of the fandango base. The same folk that felt the need to use it were not thinking about Glasgow. I'm not saying that we have a massive racist or anti Irish element, I'm telling you that there are some who are of a disposition that doesn't embrace our roots. Can you be anti Irish and support Hibs? I think so. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has the Bawz to maybe clarify. Any takers?

I can think of one or two possibles who may be anti Irish protestant types :greengrin

Pete
22-01-2015, 09:12 PM
I can think of one or two possibles who may be anti Irish protestant types :greengrin

We're a broad church.

:duck:

FranckSuzy
22-01-2015, 09:16 PM
I know several guys who support Hibs and served in Northern Ireland during 'the troubles'. They seemed to be able to put their allegiances aside for 90 mins, without any trouble....

pacorosssco
22-01-2015, 09:25 PM
140 year rollercoster. celebrate. not many have made it so far or ever will.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2015, 09:30 PM
I know several guys who support Hibs and served in Northern Ireland during 'the troubles'. They seemed to be able to put their allegiances aside for 90 mins, without any trouble....

My own family gave a very strong military tradition and have been Hibs daft for generations. One of them, now deceased, spent most of his career in the north of Ireland during the 1970's and 80's. I don't think football had any impact on his allegiances, which was the British Army and doing what soldiers do

One of the casuals that wrote a book spoke of the prevailing views of that group. Let's say they weren't embracing our heritage or cultural diversity. The flag I'm referring to was widely used by lads of that ilk.

Pretty Boy
22-01-2015, 09:31 PM
140 year rollercoster. celebrate. not many have made it so far or ever will.

:thumbsup:

Several birds with one stone? Celebrate the 140 year roller coaster with another pre season trip to Blackpool.

Blackpool obviously acknowledges the roller coaster, we can wear a one off special strip for the day with a big **** off harp on it, we get a trip away and Blackpool play in Orange so that will appease the treacherous Protestants who dare to follow us now and are apparently so uncomfortable with our roots.

Saturday Boy
22-01-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm comfortable with my roots (just for men), but can't understand why anyone would want to celebrate 140 years?

I intend to start a thread on the celebrations for the 141 anniversary on the grounds that it was the number of the SMT bus that took me from Musselburgh to my folks in Bonnyrigg.

pacorosssco
22-01-2015, 09:39 PM

Several birds with one stone? Celebrate the 140 year roller coaster with another pre season trip to Blackpool.

Blackpool obviously acknowledges the roller coaster, we can wear a one off special strip for the day with a big **** off harp on it, we get a trip away and Blackpool play in Orange so that will appease the treacherous Protestants who dare to follow us now and are apparently so uncomfortable with our roots.

OK great idea but what about Amsterdam and turn the red light green. No religous hassles in the house of orange. What about a hibs boat for Kings Day.

lord bunberry
22-01-2015, 09:45 PM
I don't understand the opposition to this to be honest. We're talking about a commemorative strip and a plaque, we've got a commemorative strip this season , all we're missing is a plaque. Anniversaries are generally marked with a bit more enthusiasm every 10 years, I haven't seen anything that's going over the top.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2015, 10:05 PM

The only place I've seen the Green & Black union jack is at Hampden. If that's the extent of our right wing element I'll try not to panic :greengrin

Jack
22-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I nearly died when I was around 18 months old. My mates were sure I'd never see my 18th, then 21st, then 30th. I nearly died again when I was around 50.

I celebrate every match, particularly those I attend - well at least most of the time these days :-)

A particular wee extra celebration on 7th July* and the 6th August.

God (whichever God, if any, we chose to follow) forbid I'd turn down an opportunity to celebrate ;-)

*I'm still trying to get 07/07 designated International Hibs Day at the United Nations ;-)

FranckSuzy
22-01-2015, 10:09 PM
I nearly died when I was around 18 months old. My mates were sure I'd never see my 18th, then 21st, then 30th. I nearly died again when I was around 50.

I celebrate every match, particularly those I attend - well at least most of the time these days :-)

A particular wee extra celebration on 7th July* and the 6th August.

God (whichever God, if any, we chose to follow) forbid I'd turn down an opportunity to celebrate ;-)

*I'm still trying to get 07/07 designated International Hibs Day at the United Nations ;-)

You'll probably not be in the country for any celebration anyway :wink:

Jack
22-01-2015, 10:35 PM
You'll probably not be in the country for any celebration anyway :wink:

You're probably right :-)

I'll raise a glass though - if I can stand tall enough that the sun is over the yardarm! If not I'll just keep climbing decks till it is lol

I think we all need to chill at bit and celebrate more.

WhileTheChief..
22-01-2015, 10:54 PM
We're a broad church.

:duck:

Best post on here by far!!!

majorhibs
22-01-2015, 11:44 PM

You are from where? I am from Craigentinny, quite near to E.R. & I can tell you, & all the smart backsides who know oh so much on this subject, who have been Hibbies since the early 70s or earlier, that some of my best mates, good Hibs fans, who I grew up with, who will continue to be my best mates going forward, are VERY orange, anti catholic in just about all they do. Me, I think they are pretty dumb, pretty stupid letting all that baggage weigh them down. But that is their caper. But to those of you who say that does not go on at Hibs, I am sorry, but yous will just have to get real. Same as other Scottish clubs have an element, Hibs do too. Not that I give two hoots. Religion means nowt to me, football is football, but for those of you Ostriches saying it never happens at E.R. well, denial etc, there is always 2 sides to every story, these days & on this website it's quite obvious what's prevalent, personally I find the religion nonsense hard to take serious as far as Scottish fitba goes, wearing something orange coloured is probably not beyond my capabilities, but that dirty shade of burgundy is completely out.
As for clever clogs etc above, IF, IF, there is a 140 top, with a Harp, please, just ignore it. Just let those who fancy it do their own thing, get it if they want, ignore it if it is not to their liking. Like normal people. Just leave it up to other people, not YOU, the thought/Hibs police, how other folks want to spend their money & think about their team. I would like to have such a top if it came about, to go with all my other Hibs tops, but I will tell you, there is some big slavers nowadays on this website who think more of theirselves & their images "online" than they do about Hibs, & it wasn't like that on here before.
Ps Blackpool is THE place, how about setting up an annual pre-season, one year ours, next year theirs?

Benny Brazil
23-01-2015, 12:09 AM
You are from where? I am from Craigentinny, quite near to E.R. & I can tell you, & all the smart backsides who know oh so much on this subject, who have been Hibbies since the early 70s or earlier, that some of my best mates, good Hibs fans, who I grew up with, who will continue to be my best mates going forward, are VERY orange, anti catholic in just about all they do. Me, I think they are pretty dumb, pretty stupid letting all that baggage weigh them down. But that is their caper. But to those of you who say that does not go on at Hibs, I am sorry, but yous will just have to get real. Same as other Scottish clubs have an element, Hibs do too. Not that I give two hoots. Religion means nowt to me, football is football, but for those of you Ostriches saying it never happens at E.R. well, denial etc, there is always 2 sides to every story, these days & on this website it's quite obvious what's prevalent, personally I find the religion nonsense hard to take serious as far as Scottish fitba goes, wearing something orange coloured is probably not beyond my capabilities, but that dirty shade of burgundy is completely out.
As for clever clogs etc above, IF, IF, there is a 140 top, with a Harp, please, just ignore it. Just let those who fancy it do their own thing, get it if they want, ignore it if it is not to their liking. Like normal people. Just leave it up to other people, not YOU, the thought/Hibs police, how other folks want to spend their money & think about their team. I would like to have such a top if it came about, to go with all my other Hibs tops, but I will tell you, there is some big slavers nowadays on this website who think more of theirselves & their images "online" than they do about Hibs, & it wasn't like that on here before.
Ps Blackpool is THE place, how about setting up an annual pre-season, one year ours, next year theirs?

For someone who doesnt give "two hoots about religion" you certainly go on about it an awful lot.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 07:38 AM

My post was a joke.

Obviously another pish one but a joke all the same.

MSK
23-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Ps Blackpool is THE place, how about setting up an annual pre-season, one year ours, next year theirs?Jeezo ..that was hard reading ..tell you what, if it means so much to you ..go to a shop ..buy a green t-shirt ...grab a harp badge ...grab a screen printing shop ..get them to chuck a 140 years logo onto the front ...or back ..go to a pub ...grab a pint ..& chill ..:aok:

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2015, 07:55 AM

No thanks, theres enough plastic paddys here now.

superfurryhibby
23-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Maybe the anti Irish thing amongst a small section of our support is one of those "never speak it by it's name" things? Our support has had many elements to it and I suppose mirrors wider societal issues.

Still waiting for people to be a bit more honest.

Still thinking 140 years is bollox

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Maybe the anti Irish thing amongst a small section of our support is one of those "never speak it by it's name" things? Our support has had many elements to it and I suppose mirrors wider societal issues.

Still waiting for people to be a bit more honest.

Still thinking 140 years is bollox

There can be no doubt that Hibs, like every other club, have every element of society in our support. Gays and Homophobes, ultra right wingers and ultra left wingers, religious people and atheists and yes even religious bigots.

For me and I'm sure the vast majority of our fans with an interest in this subject, its a simple matter of wanting the club I follow to be a reflection of the society I belong to and my own values and identity. As things stand Hibs tick all the boxes including my Scottish identity. Though like myself many of our supporters can probably show some Irish ancestry that is a proud part of our heritage, but not what we identify ourselves by and Hibs are rightly the same. That's not anti Irish and certainly has nothing to do with religion.

SunshineOnLeith
23-01-2015, 11:04 AM
I like how majorhibs' rants always happen in the hour or so after the pubs close.

Bostonhibby
23-01-2015, 11:10 AM
There can be no doubt that Hibs, like every other club, have every element of society in our support. Gays and Homophobes, ultra right wingers and ultra left wingers, religious people and atheists and yes even religious bigots.

For me and I'm sure the vast majority of our fans with an interest in this subject, its a simple matter of wanting the club I follow to be a reflection of the society I belong to and my own values and identity. As things stand Hibs tick all the boxes including my Scottish identity. Though like myself many of our supporters can probably show some Irish ancestry that is a proud part of our heritage, but not what we identify ourselves by and Hibs are rightly the same. That's not anti Irish and certainly has nothing to do with religion.

:agree:

silverhibee
23-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Football is my religion.

:flag: :gwa: :flag:

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Football is my religion.

:flag: :gwa: :flag:

Burn the heretic :protest: :greengrin

majorhibs
23-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I like how majorhibs' rants always happen in the hour or so after the pubs close.

I like it when someone pays attention to my rants, doesnae happen much.

majorhibs
24-01-2015, 12:12 AM
No thanks, theres enough plastic paddys here now.

Uber fan you, eh? Are you a plastic Englishman then? You certainly seem to have more qualifications than me, given your residency. & habit of commenting long & loud fi Tenerife or Blackpool about all things Hibs & Scottish Fitba! From afar.

The Green Goblin
24-01-2015, 03:05 AM
:hmmm: the Connemara thread.

Has anyone else spotted an opportunity?

Folk have posted about a Hibs decline over the last several years for a while now. Funny how this decline coincided with the removal of the Calpol thread. It's no coincidence as far as I'm concerned, but I'm powerless to redress the situation.

Has anyone else wanted to get something right back up but had to wait and maybe take an opening when they can get it?

Has as anyone else arrived so late for a Cactus Tread nostalgia party that there was nobody there?

Brooster
24-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Uber fan you, eh? Are you a plastic Englishman then? You certainly seem to have more qualifications than me, given your residency. & habit of commenting long & loud fi Tenerife or Blackpool about all things Hibs & Scottish Fitba! From afar.

Not that you merit a reply but I would confidently wager that Blockpool has been more Hibs games than you

jabis
24-01-2015, 07:32 AM

Read in the style of Rab C Nesbit,this is a great !

majorhibs
24-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Not that you merit a reply but I would confidently wager that Blockpool has been more Hibs games than you

Don't bother replying then! Or wager away. Decisions, decisions! It's no easy!

Brightside
24-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Don't bother replying then! Or wager away. Decisions, decisions! It's no easy!

Hows the hangover?

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Have i got this right, your location dictates what your opinion should be? :confused:

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Have i got this right, your location dictates what your opinion should be? :confused:

Wait a minute. I have only just realised you are actually IN Blackpool. From now on your opinion means nothing to me !!! Bloody glory hunter !!! :grr:

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Wait a minute. I have only just realised you are actually IN Blackpool. From now on your opinion means nothing to me !!! Bloody glory hunter !!! :grr:

What gave it away?

Bostonhibby
24-01-2015, 09:23 AM
What chance do I have down here then? May as well give up now - I am going to have a big bonfire in the back garden for all my Hibs gear. Still hoping to sneak back into Edinburgh unnoticed when I come up for my next game though.

SunshineOnLeith
24-01-2015, 09:37 AM

*hic*

Nomeancity
24-01-2015, 09:45 AM
This is now officially the most ridiculous thread with the most ridiculous posts - including this one.

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2015, 10:49 AM
This is now officially the most ridiculous thread with the most ridiculous posts - including this one.

I will ignore this post until a proper location is given on your avatar :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2015, 10:50 AM
I will ignore this post until a proper location is given on your avatar :greengrin

:greengrin

ian cruise
24-01-2015, 11:43 AM
What gave it away?

I always presumed your user name was a social commentary on the commonwealth pool! Straight on to my ignore list....

CockneyRebel
24-01-2015, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Pretty Boy;4280407]My post was a joke.

I also see little merit in celebrating 140 years but would not discourage anyone else from doing so as we don't often have much to celebrate.

Regarding the other matters discussed on this thread I am an English protestant by birth but an atheist by choice. I have been going to Easter Road for over 30 years and have held an ST for over 20 years and I support a football team not a religion. Where Hibs came from matters not - just where they are going. If the tricolour or Union Jack was part of supporting Hibs I would not be here. My allegiance is to the football team alone. I know hundreds of Hibees but do not know their church of choice and apart from a hatred of all things Old Firm or Maroon they also just support a football team. We have (and have had in the past) players, coaches, managers and chairmen from different backgrounds/religions/countries without any fallout of note and long may that continue. As long as the sun continues to shine on Leith let all Hibees put all their efforts into supporting the team and leave the chanting etc. to the bigot boys.

GGTTH

mentalhibee
24-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a good idea, get the original badge on the strip next season aswell as the current badge.

MSK
24-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Thread has just turned silly now ...& yes I contributed to it to ...Im gonna close it but may re-open it on our 140th anniversary eve ...

Ps ...when is it ..:)