PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Northernhibee
17-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Thought he deserved a thread to congratulate him on another goal, and a cracking finish it was too.

I'd like to see him have a pop at goal a little more often - the one he scored last season was a peach too. Maybe doesn't have a massive amount of power but can clearly place it in the corner.

Brightside
17-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Thought he deserved a thread to congratulate him on another goal, and a cracking finish it was too.

I'd like to see him have a pop at goal a little more often - the one he scored last season was a peach too. Maybe doesn't have a massive amount of power but can clearly place it in the corner.

Moving him to the right was a great move from Stubbs. He's much better over there than Booth. He'll be back over there soon as Gray is fit again.

Aldo
17-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Superb professional and Hibs through and through. Unsung hero imho. Wee selfie with him a few months back.

hibee_girl
17-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Moving him to the right was a great move from Stubbs. He's much better over there than Booth. He'll be back over there soon as Gray is fit again.

I think he'll be back there next week with Forster at right back.

gaz1875
17-01-2015, 10:11 PM
One of my contenders for MOM. Played very steady and let Hanlon deal with his own game today, thought last week having Booth at rb led to Hanlon having a poor game.

Brightside
17-01-2015, 10:13 PM
I think he'll be back there next week with Forster at right back.

i'd stick with 3 at the back... i love that setup. gives us loads of width and also we stronger in the defence with the 3.

HibbyAndy
17-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Outstanding

PatHead
17-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Found his true position at last.........free scoring right full back.

Joking apart good, solid, reliable. versatile, honest, strong, hard tackling, pacy, determined player with 10 years service.

A team full of them and we would be at the right end of the top league.

Brightside
17-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Love these threads. the amount of time players like Lewis a ripped apart on here...not good enough...reason why we are were we are. etc. We are were we are coz were have been a shambles of a football club for years. Thats changed. :gwa:

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 10:27 PM
I wish he'd shoot more often.

Think I've seen him have about 3 shots in the last 3 years and 2 have gone in.

Northernhibee
17-01-2015, 10:30 PM
I wish he'd shoot more often.

Think I've seen him have about 3 shots in the last 3 years and 2 have gone in.

Quite honestly I'm really expecting him to add the occasional goal to his game - Lewie is my favourite Hibs player but I think that sometimes he's too modest for his own good. Really loved to see him get the reaction from the crowd and his team mates that he deserves.

marinello59
17-01-2015, 10:38 PM
I think he has got better this season and I reckon he has been more than decent since he broke through. His goal was the highlight today for me.

Andy74
17-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Imagine playing Stevenson at right back.

Stantons Angel
17-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Outstanding

Yes he was!

So full of running and forever in place to receive the ball and do something with it.

A few crosses he put over today could have been put away if there had been someone waiting in the box.

So So pleased he got that goal it will do his confidence the world of good and what a great reaction from the crowd to it too.

Well done Lewis lets do it again next week pal!!!

Davy Mac
17-01-2015, 10:42 PM
I think he has got better this season and I reckon he has been more than decent since he broke through. His goal was the highlight today for me.

Know what you mean, but personally I think Stubbsy has an eye for a player and the togetherness is as good as I've seen it since Latapy/Sauzee/O'Neil years.

That was the highlight for me.

GGTTH

S4uzee
17-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Hopefully he's a one club man

Liberal Hibby
17-01-2015, 10:55 PM

I was just thinking the same - even thought about digging up the threads from last season slagging him and Fenlon off for playing him there.

Brightside
17-01-2015, 10:57 PM
I was just thinking the same - even thought about digging up the threads from last season slagging him and Fenlon off for playing him there.

But....he's only playing there coz he's better than Booth. Its a wise move this time. But he won't stay there.

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2015, 10:58 PM

:agree: little option though - Booth was like a fish out of water over there last week.

You lose a bit from Stevenson over there as well bit as someone said Hanlon was more comfortable, they were poor and didn't trouble us so it was all fine in the end.

Good finish and the loudest cheer of the day for him.

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2015, 10:58 PM
But....he's only playing there coz he's better than Booth. Its a wise move this time. But he won't stay there.

:agree: they were never going to expose him.

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 11:01 PM
It will be interesting to see what Stubbs does in the next couple of weeks. Bring Forster in at RB and move Lewis back to the left or stick with what worked today.

Liberal Hibby
17-01-2015, 11:02 PM

But surely Fenlon only played him there because Maybury was injured and he didn't stay there?

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2015, 11:04 PM
It will be interesting to see what Stubbs does in the next couple of weeks. Bring Forster in at RB and move Lewis back to the left or stick with what worked today.

It did work but it was only Cowdenbeath. We lose a bit having him at RB because he continually cuts back in.

Liberal Hibby

Depending on the opposition I suspect he may go for three at the back with Lewis moving to left mid.

Northernhibee

I have to confess I think Booth is too suspect when defending for him to remain a first team pick week in, week out. Think Forster will head to RB with Stevenson as LB with Booth on the bench.

PatHead
17-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Depending on the opposition I suspect he may go for three at the back with Lewis moving to left mid.

Agree as Stubbsy liked that when we had the players but good to have options.

Onceinawhile
17-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Disappointed he scored. Down to 66.66 percent of his goals I've seen. Funny that him and both seem to score in the same games.

keep the faith
17-01-2015, 11:22 PM
I hope we confirm a new deal and testimonial year for Lewis soon.
His efforts, attitude and passion for our club richly deserve to be recognised.

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Superb professional and Hibs through and through. Unsung hero imho. Wee selfie with him a few months back.

Stay of the burgers. :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
18-01-2015, 12:40 AM
No dissent?

overdrive
18-01-2015, 12:50 AM
:agree: little option though - Booth was like a fish out of water over there last week.

You lose a bit from Stevenson over there as well bit as someone said Hanlon was more comfortable, they were poor and didn't trouble us so it was all fine in the end.

Good finish and the loudest cheer of the day for him.

I think we lose more on the left than the right with Stevenson there. He is a tad slower on the right because his first touch isn't as good on that side and he has to think whereas on the left he brings the ball down and controls it first time and is on his run or ready for the pass right away

Mibbes Aye
18-01-2015, 01:01 AM
No dissent?

:greengrin

I've said before that if you're picking the team you can understand fine well why you would ask Lewis to play out of position, because you know he has the discipline and the work ethic to do a job wherever asked.

With regard to his performance today I though he showed best in the second part of the first half. McGeouch started on the right in front of Lewis but couldn't resist drifting into the middle. I don't blame him, I think we need him more centrally and he makes us work doing that. At one point though he was so far out of position he was tracking on the left wing and Cowden exploited that to switch and get a two on one on our right.

Oyenuga definitely shifted out to the left during the first half and I think it was clearly to try and get some joy against Lewis, given the difference in height and build. I thought we dealt with that however, even with Halsman supporting and trying to get those overlaps.

I don't want to criticise Booth, he played a lot better than last week, reveling being back on the left. His positioning was questionable though and there were a good few times where the ball was on that side and you knew that Lewis would be in a different space had he been on the left and it would have worked out better. That might reflect playing time, it might not, but for me it was another reinforcement of what LS offers and indeed how he has stepped up this season.

O'Rourke3
18-01-2015, 02:17 AM
:greengrin

Oyenuga definitely shifted out to the left during the first half and I think it was clearly to try and get some joy against Lewis, given the difference in height and build. I thought we dealt with that however, even with Halsman supporting and trying to get those overlaps.

I thought he moved out there to hide after Hanlon leathered him. He wasn't interested after that tackle and even Lewis bullied him. He also went to centre mid for a bit to get away from the big bad boy at the back for Hibs.

HoboHarry
18-01-2015, 02:22 AM
Just watched the game on Hibs TV and the roar that wee Lewis got when he scored was brilliant. Hats off to every Hibs fan at the game for that cheer.....

Pretty Boy
18-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Just watched the game on Hibs TV and the roar that wee Lewis got when he scored was brilliant. Hats off to every Hibs fan at the game for that cheer.....

Not unexpected really.

I said a few weeks ago that most Hibs fans rate Lewis. On here he's become a curious thing. Those who don't like him shout very loudly then those who do like him jump on any criticism, valid or otherwise, even louder so you end up thinking there is a massive debate about the player. I think most people can see him for what he is: a good, solid player who over the last 8 years or so has always played at about the right level. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Aldo
18-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Stay of the burgers. :thumbsup:

There's no point in telling Lewis unless he comes on here . ;-)

Ronniekirk
18-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Everytime I turned my i pad to look at picture it kept showing it side ways . Can't understand why he hasn't been offered new contract as he could sign pre contract for someone else and despite the detractors on here there will be plenty takers .
He also deserves more than another one year extension that's just an insult give him some security and under a Stubbs we will continue to see him prgress as its his own lack of self belief and confidence that hindered him in the past

Aldo
18-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Everytime I turned my i pad to look at picture it kept showing it side ways . Can't understand why he hasn't been offered new contract as he could sign pre contract for someone else and despite the detractors on here there will be plenty takers . He also deserves more than another one year extension that's just an insult give him some security and under a Stubbs we will continue to see him prgress as its his own lack of self belief and confidence that hindered him in the past

Don't know why it does that.

Hopefully something will get sorted for him soon.

worcesterhibby
18-01-2015, 09:25 AM

were you on the equator when you took that pic ?

I love Lewis, my fave Hibs player. Absolutely delighted he got a goal.

Aldo
18-01-2015, 10:30 AM
were you on the equator when you took that pic ? I love Lewis, my fave Hibs player. Absolutely delighted he got a goal.

It was taken in Methil per season. ;-)

(Take it it's turning on it's side??)

Bostonhibby
18-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Great wee player. Never hides. Can stay at hibs as long as he wants as far as I am concerned.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 12:44 PM

I like Stevenson, in fact he has completely changed my views of him. Yet to try and make some point about him playing right back when he is like a fish out of water in that position against teams in the SPL, just because he played well yesterday against Cowdenbeath is laughable.

My mate told me that i could have played right back yesterday, our keeper never had 1 save to make and we ran the show from the first minute to the last.

If Stevenson was playing right back when we eventually get back to the top league, i'd be worried. I like him on the left, and we don't have a better left back in my opinion, but he's not a right back.

Just because we can get away with playing him there in this league does not make him a right back, christ i remember Mixu playing left back at Kilmarnock a few years ago and doing well, but i wouldn't have wanted him there every week.

Andy74
18-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I like Stevenson, in fact he has completely changed my views of him. Yet to try and make some point about him playing right back when he is like a fish out of water in that position against teams in the SPL, just because he played well yesterday against Cowdenbeath is laughable.

My mate told me that i could have played right back yesterday, our keeper never had 1 save to make and we ran the show from the first minute to the last.

If Stevenson was playing right back when we eventually get back to the top league, i'd be worried. I like him on the left, and we don't have a better left back in my opinion, but he's not a right back.

Just because we can get away with playing him there in this league does not make him a right back, christ i remember Mixu playing left back at Kilmarnock a few years ago and doing well, but i wouldn't have wanted him there every week.

My point was nothing to do with Stevenson being a good right back.

Seveno
18-01-2015, 12:57 PM
It was another first rate performance from a player that delivers week on week. I was delighted when he scored and delighted that the vast majority of Hibbies agreed.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 01:08 PM
My point was nothing to do with Stevenson being a good right back.

Well i'm guessing it was you trying to justify Fenlons decision to play him there with another manager doing the same.:confused:

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Well i'm guessing it was you trying to justify Fenlons decision to play him there with another manager doing the same.:confused:

It was a crazy post that it appears no one understood. I too thought he was making a Fenlon was right all along point.

Hibby Bairn
18-01-2015, 01:26 PM
I thought he moved out there to hide after Hanlon leathered him. He wasn't interested after that tackle and even Lewis bullied him. He also went to centre mid for a bit to get away from the big bad boy at the back for Hibs.

Robertson was asked to support Stevenson against him particularly at goal kicks.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Great wee player. Never hides. Can stay at hibs as long as he wants as far as I am concerned.

This for me aswell, well said :agree:

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 01:36 PM

:tee hee:

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 01:38 PM
It was taken in Methil per season. ;-)

(Take it it's turning on it's side??)

It's fine bud, just looks like the two of you have fell over. :greengrin

Aldo
18-01-2015, 02:06 PM
It's fine bud, just looks like the two of you have fell over. :greengrin

Does it.

Tyler Durden
18-01-2015, 02:44 PM
It was a crazy post that it appears no one understood. I too thought he was making a Fenlon was right all along point.

Which also misses the point. Fenlon was rightly criticised because he signed Clancy, Maybury and Mullen as RBs, none of whom were good enough.

Stevenson was the best option at one point - that was a shocking indictment of Fenlons record in the transfer market.

Useless manager.

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Does it.

It does, nice quiff mind you. :thumbsup:

Aldo
18-01-2015, 02:56 PM
It does, nice quiff mind you. :thumbsup:

:-) I blame the wind!! ;-)

HibbyAndy
18-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Last season at Easter rd hibs 1 dundee utd 1 ...Gary mackay stevens was ripping the erse out of Mullen at RB..Mullen eventually got booked then subbed right away before he got sent off and Stevenson went to RB and was outstanding ..Never gave GMS a sniff.

I'm no actually making a point here:greengrin Just remember wee Lewy was outstanding..But i'd rather have him LB.

bingo70
18-01-2015, 03:17 PM
I think we've finally found his best position as an attacking left back. Handy to know he can cover at right back if needed but I'd hope that'd be few and far between.

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Never a footballer. Bombscare. Get rid. etc etc.

Oops, sorry, this is a 'Louis Stevenson' rather than a 'Stevenson' thread.

Great to see this fine servant to the club finally hitting a rich seam of form, all through being played in his best position etc etc

hibsbollah
18-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Last season at Easter rd hibs 1 dundee utd 1 ...Gary mackay stevens was ripping the erse out of Mullen at RB..Mullen eventually got booked then subbed right away before he got sent off and Stevenson went to RB and was outstanding ..Never gave GMS a sniff.

I'm no actually making a point here:greengrin Just remember wee Lewy was outstanding..But i'd rather have him LB.

:agree:

I remember it well. I commented at the time that he is a genuine utility player. Left back is probably his best position, but he can play in three or four different positions successfully. Not that the spittle spraying, artery popping east stand wannabe managers that day would notice.

HoboHarry
18-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Never a footballer. Bombscare. Get rid. etc etc.

Oops, sorry, this is a 'Louis Stevenson' rather than a 'Stevenson' thread.

Great to see this fine servant to the club finally hitting a rich seam of form, all through being played in his best position etc etc
I'm not even sure he is playing in his best position. He simply has the ability and such a brilliant professionalism about him that he can play different positions well and as the team is getting better he is proving that he can live with the best we have with some ease.

The Green Goblin
18-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I hope we confirm a new deal and testimonial year for Lewis soon.
His efforts, attitude and passion for our club richly deserve to be recognised.

Absolutely!

jacomo
18-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Not unexpected really.

I said a few weeks ago that most Hibs fans rate Lewis. On here he's become a curious thing. Those who don't like him shout very loudly then those who do like him jump on any criticism, valid or otherwise, even louder so you end up thinking there is a massive debate about the player. I think most people can see him for what he is: a good, solid player who over the last 8 years or so has always played at about the right level. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Most of his detractors don't attend ER. I had a wee row on here with one this season - turns out his vehement criticisms of LS were based on watching one game on the Hibs TV stream. :rolleyes:

Mind you, going to the match is no guarantee that people actually judge players fairly. :wink:

matty_f
18-01-2015, 06:35 PM
I think Stevenson had a spell between Mixu, Yogi, and Calderwood where he wasn't bringing much to the team other than hard work and a good attitude.
I think he really blossomed under Fenlon and kept that standard up under Butcher. He's pushed on again this season and I genuinely think he deserves the praise he's getting.
If we had brought Lewis in from another club I think we'd all be delighted with the signing.

There isn't much missing from his game, fitness is superb, he's aggressive, quick, reads the game well, his crossing is decent, he can tackle, pick a pass, knows what runs to make, wins headers, has good touch and control...

I'd give him a new deal ASAP, he's (IMHO) one of the best players at the club.

silverhibee
18-01-2015, 07:17 PM
I think Stevenson had a spell between Mixu, Yogi, and Calderwood where he wasn't bringing much to the team other than hard work and a good attitude.
I think he really blossomed under Fenlon and kept that standard up under Butcher. He's pushed on again this season and I genuinely think he deserves the praise he's getting.
If we had brought Lewis in from another club I think we'd all be delighted with the signing.

There isn't much missing from his game, fitness is superb, he's aggressive, quick, reads the game well, his crossing is decent, he can tackle, pick a pass, knows what runs to make, wins headers, has good touch and control...

Just in case another club nips in and steals him with a pre contract, he will be looking for a long term contract this time around, maybe a 3 year extension for a player who is a good player to have in your squad.

lyonhibs
19-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Let's not get carried away here. When it's good, it's very good, but when it's bad - dearie me :greengrin

Agree with the principle though - he's a good wee football player and the absolute least of our worries over the past few seasons, despite what the boo boys might say.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-01-2015, 09:31 AM
I hope he gets a new deal

SMAXXA
19-01-2015, 09:44 AM
I think he's been excellent this season and him and Gray have been as good a couple of full backs we've had for a right few years. Lewis has his critics and I've not always been his biggest fan but I certainly won't let past seasons cloud my view as for me he's been one of our best players this season and deserves a lot of credit. For a left back to slot in at right back relatively comfortably says a lot about him which is another example of his worth to the team. I hope some start to see him less as being me dependable and actually credit him for the other aspects of his game as he's a real threat bombing forward, regardless of very cross isn't pin point. Btw I noticed booth hit the first man with loads of his crosses on Saturday, he needs to work on that.

19-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Was delighted for him getting his goal yesterday! I love Stevenson, gives his absolute everything for the team every game.

BigT-Hibeez
19-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Found his true position at last.........free scoring right full back.

Joking apart good, solid, reliable. versatile, honest, strong, hard tackling, pacy, determined player with 10 years service.

A team full of them and we would be at the right end of the top league.

If he could pass...?