PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cummings progress and development

Carheenlea
17-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Over a year now since Jason Cummings made his first team debut, and comparing the player since that debut and what we see now, I feel he is progressing very well and developing into a very good striker.
His goal tally is very impressive, as it always was coming through the levels, but I think his all round game has improved leaps and bounds in his first senior year. His awareness is sharp - getting himself into some great positions to give himself goal scoring opportunities, and his link up play and bringing others into attacking moves has improved greatly as well.
Hopefully he can continue to learn and improve and we could have ourselves a pretty valuable asset in a couple of years time.

lord bunberry
17-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Hibs legend in the making imo

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Is he the leagues top scorer now?

Can't be far away.

WillowbraeHibby
17-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Over a year now since Jason Cummings made his first team debut, and comparing the player since that debut and what we see now, I feel he is progressing very well and developing into a very good striker.
His goal tally is very impressive, as it always was coming through the levels, but I think his all round game has improved leaps and bounds in his first senior year. His awareness is sharp - getting himself into some great positions to give himself goal scoring opportunities, and his link up play and bringing others into attacking moves has improved greatly as well.
Hopefully he can continue to learn and improve and we could have ourselves a pretty valuable asset in a couple of years time.

I would agree with your assessment, and would add that a few others are certainly looking like blossoming under Alan Stubbs and his staff's guidance and management style. Long may it continue, and long may this squad stay together.

JimBHibees
17-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Can't be far away.

I think he is. Hibs twitter was saying that 12 goals.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Can't be far away.

Yep, he is.

SMAXXA
17-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Can't be far away.

Im sure he was after last week so still is

Mr White
17-01-2015, 06:47 PM
His touch to control a high ball in the first half fully justifies his "touch like an angel" quote after his double at ibrox. Sublime.

Heisenberg
17-01-2015, 06:47 PM
I really like him. A total wee radge but scores goals and doesn't seem to like the Hearts (any more). Keep it up Jason.

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 06:50 PM
I think he is. Hibs twitter was saying that 12 goals.

Thought as much.

I like him. He has an arrogance and swagger most good strikers have. Derek Riordan had it, Stokes had it and Sparky had it.

He makes mistakes, poor decisions at times etc but he's young and still learning. We should remember he was playing juvenile football just over 18 months ago after being chucked on the scrapheap by Hearts. We've got a talent on our hands imo.

jacomo
17-01-2015, 06:50 PM
His touch to control a high ball in the first half fully justifies his "touch like an angel" quote after his double at ibrox. Sublime.

That quote was misunderstood. A lot of people assumed he was bragging about his first touch, but he was referring to his shot which was hit so softly it only just made it over the line.

Back to the OP - great progress, Hanlon was saying in the Scotsman that the Heff deserves credit as his mentor.

lord bunberry
17-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Unlike the last time we played the blue brasil my dad managed to negotiate the day without setting his house on fire so I won't be requiring your services this time mate :greengrin

bingo70
17-01-2015, 06:56 PM
I don't always think he's playing that great but he's scoring goals and that's all that matters.

He's still young and learning and that shows sometimes but definitely heading on the right direction.

I'll be interested to see how he does when malonga comes back, imo They weren't a great partnership and I think he's looked happier the last couple of games when malongas been away.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Thought he was brilliant first half today but faded second. Still shoots at times when a pass would be a better option but that's improving all the time. After Fenlon and Butchers sides, who often never looked like scoring, it's good to see someone have the confidence to have a pop.
Said it last week, he's going to start getting a huge amount of attention from teams down south very soon.

lord bunberry
17-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Jason Cummings he shoots he scores. End off

truehibernian
17-01-2015, 07:03 PM
He reminds me of Tony Cottee, really sharp and instinctive player but always needed a partner to play alongside and feed off or often unload the scoring burden. He's going to be a top player if he progresses at the rate of knots he is already.

Carheenlea
17-01-2015, 07:10 PM
For me it's not just admiring the goals tally, it's what else he brings to the team in general. He is not a player who simply hangs about the box waiting for his chances to stick away, it's how much more he is involved in the build up to those chances as the season progresses.

Hibby Bairn
17-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Jason Cummings he shoots he scores. End off

Plays exactly as he did at Hutchie Vale U19s. Shoots and scores.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-01-2015, 07:23 PM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/paul-heffernan-s-tips-helping-hibs-jason-cummings-1-3663169

DaveF
17-01-2015, 07:36 PM
I like him. He has an arrogance and swagger most good strikers have. Derek Riordan had it, Stokes had it and Sparky had it.

He makes mistakes, poor decisions at times etc but he's young and still learning. We should remember he was playing juvenile football just over 18 months ago after being chucked on the scrapheap by Hearts. We've got a talent on our hands imo.

Totally agree with that PB. He will frustrate the hell out of fans for choosing the wrong option (well he does with me!) but his goals tally is there for all to see. I really hope he continues to learn and progress with us.

Juice-Terry
17-01-2015, 07:43 PM
A little selfish and I'd be very happy with him.

Stuarty27
17-01-2015, 07:51 PM
I thought today was his best performance for the first team since breaking through.

Great hold up play, looked sharp throughout and took the right options.

Looking like a great prospect and if he carries on they way he is going he will get a move to a bigger club.

GMD
17-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Great to see him laying a few balls across the 6 yard box with his right foot, definate progress there as earlier in the season would not have tried with right at all. Keep it up wee man!

lord bunberry
17-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Plays exactly as he did at Hutchie Vale U19s. Shoots and scores.

Long may it continue. The boy scores more goals than anyone else. I like him

Mr White
17-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Unlike the last time we played the blue brasil my dad managed to negotiate the day without setting his house on fire so I won't be requiring your services this time mate :greengrin

5 nil and not a fireman or joiner in sight. Happy days :thumbsup:

Mr White
17-01-2015, 08:34 PM
That quote was misunderstood. A lot of people assumed he was bragging about his first touch, but he was referring to his shot which was hit so softly it only just made it over the line.

OK. It totally justifies the misinterpretation of that quote then :greengrin

Northernhibee
17-01-2015, 08:39 PM
He's turning into a great poacher, if you play a ball across the oppositions six yard box he'll more than likely be there for a tap in or header.

HibbyAndy
17-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Can i just remind everyone he is 19 years of age.

Dearie dearie me.

He is the top goal scorer in this pishy little league and has stated numerous times he hates Hearts...That will do for me.

Get a grip.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2015, 08:43 PM
I always think to have a young player who has come into the first team from the kids team is such a big plus, especially someone like him who has a bit of swagger about him.

That wouldn't get him through if he was not delivering, and the amount of goals he's scoring is just fantastic. Plus it seems he's improving week on week.

He also hates the gimps, thats great in my book and gives him more kudos.

Hopefully a real star and he goes onto have a fantastic career.

Hiber-nation
17-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Great to see him laying a few balls across the 6 yard box with his right foot, definate progress there as earlier in the season would not have tried with right at all. Keep it up wee man!

Definitely, that was great to see. He's improving fast and seems to be under-rated by a lot of Hibs fans.

Northernhibee
17-01-2015, 08:48 PM
The pleasing thing is that he's still so raw that staying at Hibs for a few seasons would be good for him - when you look at Scott Allan it's fair to say that sometimes playing for a team like ourselves for a bit is far more beneficial than moving down south too early.

DaveF
17-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Can i just remind everyone he is 19 years of age.

Dearie dearie me.

He is the top goal scorer in this pishy little league and has stated numerous times he hates Hearts...That will do for me.

Get a grip.

Don't think anyone is really slagging him off Andy? Nothing wrong with recognising a few flaws (to be expected for someone so young) but he's getting plenty of praise and rightly so.

HibbyAndy
17-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Don't think anyone is really slagging him off Andy? Nothing wrong with recognising a few flaws (to be expected for someone so young) but he's getting plenty of praise and rightly so.

To be fair Dave i'm continuing this on from last season :greengrin

I think i like the guy even more as he was once one of them but hates them to bits now!.

He has ( Over various threads) Had a lot of unjustified criticism in the last year or so...I've always seen potential in JC and at the tender age of 19 was always willing to give him time..Hell the 2 goals in the play offs against Accies ( I still can't bring myself to call them by there name) showed the boy had a bit class and composure.

This guy has it all in his locker Dave, He can be the 1st player since Riordan to bag over 100 goals for Hibs. 2 years ago he was a nobody , Now he's a former hearts '5-1' fan doing the bizz for the Cabbage .This kid has the world at his feet.

Criticism ? He's 19.

Shrekko
18-01-2015, 12:28 AM
I thought today was by far his most mature performance and was stunned to walk down the stairs at the end and hear the guy in front of me slating him. Mind you, another boy outside the ground was bemoaning the most boring 5-0 he'd ever seen so I guess a lot of folk will always find negatives.

He's scored against Dundee Utd, Rangers and Hearts so it's not just that he's doing it against weak opposition. I'm delighted to have him on our books.

dp00
18-01-2015, 12:38 AM

Back to the OP - great progress, Hanlon was saying in the Scotsman that the Heff deserves credit as his mentor.

Think people forget that the senior players like heff as an example do more within the club than just play... They mentor the youngsters and if the heff has been helping them well done to him

Northern Hibby
18-01-2015, 01:54 AM
What's not to love cheeky on the pitch cheeky in front of the camera, knows exactly want we want to hear, I love a bit of zing beans an all.

jacomo
18-01-2015, 08:35 AM
OK. It totally justifies the misinterpretation of that quote then :greengrin

:thumbsup:

overdrive
18-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Funny, a lot of people including myself assumed that once Malonga and el Alagui are both available that they will be the first choice strikers. It will be very hard to justify dropping him especially with his strike rate. His all round game is very impressive too. I like the fact he isn't scared to just take a pop at goal with either foot - one of the few players in the team who seems to want to do this rather than walk/pass it into the net.

Smartie
18-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Think people forget that the senior players like heff as an example do more within the club than just play... They mentor the youngsters and if the heff has been helping them well done to him

I was pleased to hear that too.

It hasn't worked out for Heff on the park at all. But Cummings does come across as a bit of a "character". With the wrong people around him you could see him being led astray. It's tragic where Riordan and O'Connor are now compared to where they should be.

Heff is an experienced guy who will have made good and poor decisions in his career. Credit to him if he's helping the likes of Cummings and not just going through the motions.

Hibs90
18-01-2015, 10:21 AM
New deal required. He's class, couldn't believe folk were critical of him yesterday 'greedy wee *****' 'your humpty cummings' etc. get a grip.

jacomo
18-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Funny, a lot of people including myself assumed that once Malonga and el Alagui are both available that they will be the first choice strikers. It will be very hard to justify dropping him especially with his strike rate. His all round game is very impressive too. I like the fact he isn't scared to just take a pop at goal with either foot - one of the few players in the team who seems to want to do this rather than walk/pass it into the net.

Competition up front sounds good to me. Looking forward to seeing Farid fit again but might be a while yet.

MB62
18-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Said that myself yesterday at the game. Everybody else was trying to walk the ball in to the net, which was making it a bit easier for the defenders to just pack the 18 yard line. J.C. was the only one to have a few digs from distance and whilst I don't think he found the target too often, it did give the defenders something different to think about.
A boring 5-0 win? That will do for me every week. If this had been played in the summer on a sunny afternoon, nobody would have been bored.

hibbymark
18-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Jason is having a great season and if there is anything positive about dropping down a division, it should be getting youngsters game time and experience.

As has been mentioned he is only 19 or 20 years old and his decision making is poor (but improving) but he has a great habit of being in the right place at the right time that you cant teach.

Another word of caution being that Malonga who's also no where near the finished article either and El Alagui (when fit) have also scored goals for fun in this league. Now while I hope we've discovered 3 free scoring forwards which would be fantastic, it probably suggests its down to the standard of opposition although Miller and Boyd are trying their best to prove other wise !

Hopefully Jason goes on to fulfil the talent he has and hopefully goes back to haunt the merricks for many years to come.

neil7908
18-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I thought today was by far his most mature performance and was stunned to walk down the stairs at the end and hear the guy in front of me slating him. Mind you, another boy outside the ground was bemoaning the most boring 5-0 he'd ever seen so I guess a lot of folk will always find negatives.

He's scored against Dundee Utd, Rangers and Hearts so it's not just that he's doing it against weak opposition. I'm delighted to have him on our books.

I think your last paragraph is really important. I would expect to see us scoring goals in this league but add Hamilton to the names above and you can see he's not just taking his chances against so-called lesser opposition. He's scoring against SPL quality teams and in games where he'll have less chances and see less of the ball.

eastmainsmsh
18-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Reminds me of tom McManus just hope he gets more breaks cracking player can go all way

R11Loaded
18-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Why was a post removed? He's clearly getting a bit big for his boots and I don't think me stating what he was up too and the daft stuff he said is a problem.

No different to Scott Allan telling a girl I know he couldn't blame her for finding him attractive

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Callum_62
18-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Why was a post removed? He's clearly getting a bit big for his boots and I don't think me stating what he was up too and the daft stuff he said is a problem.

No different to Scott Allan telling a girl I know he couldn't blame her for finding him attractive

After the Rangers performance, I couldnt blame her either

Heisenberg
18-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Scotty Allan. Smooth operator.

marinello59
18-01-2015, 10:05 PM

It was removed because it is unsubstantiated tittle tattle. As is your comment about Allan. Cut it out.

Northernhibee
18-01-2015, 10:06 PM
To think that two seasons ago he was at Hutchison Vale tells you how far he's come in terms of progress - the more experience he gets the better he'll be too. He'll be worth a fair bit in the future for us, either in terms of goals or financially.

R11Loaded
18-01-2015, 10:07 PM
It was removed because it is unsubstantiated tittle tattle. As is your comment about Allan. Cut it out.

So despite all the people complaining about the "George street culture" that was apparently a main contributor in our downward spiral, you don't want to know when our top youngster is already acting like those who fell before him?

matty_f
18-01-2015, 10:08 PM
So despite all the people complaining about the "George street culture" that was apparently a main contributor in our downward spiral, you don't want to know when our top youngster is already acting like those who fell before him?

Unless you can substantiate it then no, we don't.

hibs0666
18-01-2015, 10:09 PM

Must admit I was feeling a bit of man love after the Huns game.

Northernhibee
18-01-2015, 10:13 PM
If you've got that evidence then put it to the club as he's their employee. Either that or take the hint and leave it alone.

marinello59
18-01-2015, 10:14 PM

Your only motivation here is too undermine the laddy. Unless you have proof that this actually happened then quit trying to post it on here. Kickback would love it though.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2015, 10:56 PM
19 year old in chatting up woman shocker.

Shrekko
24-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Another more mature footballing performance from Jason today- won the penalty, shielded the ball well before laying it off for Scott Robertson to score and his decision making is getting better every week. Pity about the booking, which although daft was a bit unnecessary from the ref.

Thought this was worth mentioning as the common myth is that he doesn't contribute enough with the exception of scoring. Like Scott Allan and others though, he's at the right place getting the right coaching. There have been a few comparisons to Tam McManus but hopefully he'll go the right way.