PDA

View Full Version : NHC Not a great coach, not a great tactician and not a great motivator

theonlywayisup
17-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Could easily be a comment on Butcher, but it is not. It is about another England legend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30859855

HH81
17-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Losing 1-0 at Derby too.

May be out of a job if lose there.

07BigD
17-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Getting abuse from Danny Mills, tragic!

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 12:53 PM
A face you'd never tire of punching.

Iain G
17-01-2015, 01:12 PM
There is too much respect shown to ex-players who automatically go into management in England and their reputation is solely based on what they did as a player. And some of them keep getting work! Bryan Robson was one I never understood why people kept giving him work, alas a formidable player does not translate to a great manager...

ACLeith
17-01-2015, 01:26 PM
There is too much respect shown to ex-players who automatically go into management in England and their reputation is solely based on what they did as a player. And some of them keep getting work! Bryan Robson was one I never understood why people kept giving him work, alas a formidable player does not translate to a great manager...
Agreed Iain. Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho - what did they ever do as players.

Others to add to your list - McCoist, plus one other we don't mention here!

Just_Jimmy
17-01-2015, 01:27 PM
2 wins in 20 games.

I've been banging on for months about how pish he is, god knows how he's still in a job, and for that matter how he keeps getting them.

JimBHibees
17-01-2015, 01:27 PM
A face you'd never tire of punching.

Which one? :greengrin

Cheap shot by Mills IMO. Personally don't have a lot of time for pundits who have never coached or managed themselves who are only too happy to put the boot in.

Smartie
17-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Did Robson not do quite well at Middlesborough for a while?

If a player has shown leadership qualities as a player then sometimes that gives you an idea that they would have some qualities that would make a good manager. A decent captain would be close to the manager, possibly have a say (but not the final say) when it comes to tactics etc. They should know when to give a player a bit of support or an earful, know the difficulties of dealing with people above and below them, have a certain standing in the eyes of the fans, understanding delegation etc. Management should be a natural progression for some. And if they are rookies they should have the self-awareness to surround themselves with those who can do what they can't - players with the levels of experience of Robson and Pearce will have plenty of contacts from throughout their playing careers who would be willing to help them out.

I have to say that I find it almost impossible to work out who are good, decent, average or poor managers any more. They often inherit a club that's struggling in the first place and are given next to no time to turn it around then blamed when progress isn't made quickly enough. And some fall on their feet taking over a club that is doing well whose manager is poached by someone at a higher level - they then get the credit for how well they do when in truth they were onto a winner from the start.

There seems to be way more to me about how well a club is run - the chairman and board, culture amongst the fans, players inherited etc etc. But the modern "cult" of the manager seems to credit or blame the manager almost entirely for what goes on.

That said, I'm fairly convinced we've landed ourselves a good one right now.

keep the faith
17-01-2015, 02:09 PM

The ultimate example being Roy Keane!!

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Pearce and Butcher are so so similar. Both brutal managers that continually get jobs because once upon a time they were decent England defenders. Not an ounce of tactical knowledge between them though.

HH81
17-01-2015, 02:28 PM
His team nicked a winner in a derby!

--------
17-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Pearce and Butcher are so so similar. Both brutal managers that continually get jobs because once upon a time they were decent England defenders. Not an ounce of tactical knowledge between them though.

More like thugs in white shirts IIRC.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-01-2015, 03:02 PM
More like thugs in white shirts IIRC.

Correct. However, the English will remember things differently

heretoday
17-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Well done Forest!

--------
17-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Well done Forest!

I would like to see Forest do much better than they have are - I remember Clough's team and the European Cup wins and I have a soft spot for any club that joins us in honouring the great Joe baker - but I totally and heartily dislike Stuart Pearce and wish him no success at all.

GraniteCityHibs
18-01-2015, 03:07 AM
The ultimate example being Roy Keane!!

Keane's hardly the ultimate example for this.

He's had two managerial jobs. Sunderland where he won the championship in his first season. Kept them up in the Premiership the season after and the resigned when they were still doing ok in the Prem.

Then he took on Ipswich where he did what most folk do at Ipswich, not very much. He resigned from that position too.

There are far better examples of the like being discussed here, Bryan Robson sticks out for me as does Mark Hughes.

Keane gets bad press but his managerial record isn't that bad at all.

Greentinted
18-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Always thought Ray Wilkins and John Barnes were two who fall into this category. And going against the grain (possibly), for me Pearce was the kind of player I'd have had in my team any day - never really seen him as the snarling, classless thug-on-a-stick that Roy Keane was (and remains), horrible human being!

Nameless
18-01-2015, 07:22 AM
There are far better examples of the like being discussed here, Bryan Robson sticks out for me as does Mark Hughes.

Hughes had Wales playing fantastic football - they were selling out the Millennium Stadium for home games, and almost qualified for a major championship. His teams play attacking football, and are decent to watch. I'm not a fan of any of the clubs he has managed, but I think he is a decent manager.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 05:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30862960

:greengrin

jacomo
19-01-2015, 04:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30862960

:greengrin

Personal grudge it is, then. Always somehow refreshing when ex-pros drop the old boys network routine and publicly admit they've got no time for each other.

Hibby Bairn
19-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Garth Crooks body language :)

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2015, 08:29 PM
:taxi for pearce

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31085816

Dougie Freedman has been appointed Nottingham Forest manager after the club sacked Stuart Pearce.

theonlywayisup
01-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Not a surprise!

Iain G
02-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Always thought Ray Wilkins and John Barnes were two who fall into this category. And going against the grain (possibly), for me Pearce was the kind of player I'd have had in my team any day - never really seen him as the snarling, classless thug-on-a-stick that Roy Keane was (and remains), horrible human being!

Ray Wilkins, still getting away with it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wilkins-wants-extended-deal-jordan-coach-144915056--sow.html