PDA

View Full Version : yogi and summer football

Lago
16-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Yogi quoted in todays Express that he feels the blazers at the SFA/SPFL are failing to promote scottish football. He suggested earlier start to season, Jan shut down etc etc. All very sensible as he says people don't want to sit and freeze they would rather ware T shirts in the sun.

Centre Hawf
16-01-2015, 04:24 PM
I would love a summer league, sitting on the grass in the sun watching Hibs play Berwick Rangers in the pre season game after having a couple of drinks just 2 steps from the stadium was one the most enjoyable days out following football I've had in a while. I can almost guarantee you would see more people turn out to stadiums if this was the case, and Sky/BT need something for the summer so would most likely back it also surely?

scuttle
16-01-2015, 04:39 PM
I would love a summer league, sitting on the grass in the sun watching Hibs play Berwick Rangers in the pre season game after having a couple of drinks just 2 steps from the stadium was one the most enjoyable days out following football I've had in a while. I can almost guarantee you would see more people turn out to stadiums if this was the case, and Sky/BT need something for the summer so would most likely back it also surely?

Have to agree with you, its a lot more enjoyable watching football in nice weather

Just_Jimmy
16-01-2015, 04:39 PM

absolutely agree, it would also mean we weren't competing with the english leagues etc - live games v tv for example.

its a no brainer.

Hibbyradge
16-01-2015, 04:42 PM
I used to be a staunch advocate of summer football. I started to have doubts when someone pointed out that football on a Saturday would clash with golf, which is obviously perfect for the summer.

However, once we're back in the top league along with Celtc, the Yams and Newco, the actual number of home games played on a Saturday won't be that great. For example, I think we only played about 10 games on a Saturday in the 2011/12 season and, even so, an early tee time would allow people to golf and then go to the game.

Going to the game in shirt sleeves is great. Even late kick offs on warm, light summer evenings would be fun.

Bring it on.

The_Exile
16-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Too many blazer "traditionalists" don't give a monkeys about how the game might look in 20 years time so can't see it happening. The generation coming through certainly don't want to sit in the freezing cold of Jan/Feb though, neither do I for that matter, it's archaic and stupid, utterly devoid of any common sense whatsoever. Frankly I don't care if it rains in the summer, at least it's warm rain :greengrin

It would give us an edge in Europe too as we'd be well underway with our domestic season so would be match ready.

emerald green
16-01-2015, 06:06 PM
With temperatures forecast to dip to minus 10C in parts of Scotland this weekend, is it not time the possibility of at least a temporary shutdown for say 6 weeks in January to mid February was considered?

I know this issue has been done to death, but Scottish football needs to move with the times and take the supporters views into consideration. The days of standing freezing on open terracing in all weathers has gone (mostly). So should sitting freezing your a*** off.

This definitely needs to be looked at again.

HibsMax
16-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Not that I'm in any way implying I'm special but I've been saying this for years. I was talking about it with an Irish friend of mine just earlier this week.

I've heard the negatives before:
summer holidays - you might miss 1, 2 or 3 games depending on schedule and whether you go to home / away matches. That represents a little less than 10% of the games played, so not insignificant, but, I think, manageable.

conflicts with other activities - Hibbyradge mentioned golf and as a "golfer" myself I can appreciate that but, and I'm showing my age here, since games are played at 3pm on a Saturday is should be easy enough to coordinate. If it's a normal start, play early; if it's an early start, play later - I personally prefer golf in the afternoon but I know a lot of golfers like to hit the course early.

There are probably others but those are the two I've heard the most.

I think the positive outweigh those negatives. I think it's better for the fans to be watching the game in warmer conditions. I don't know if the players feel exactly the same since they are running around.

It's a long season and for it completely avoid summer seems stupid. I hope for you guys' sake that there is a change.

Bishop Hibee
16-01-2015, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't bother getting a season ticket at ER as I would miss too many games due to holidays. I would think hundreds of others would do the same. As this would happen at other clubs, that alone is why clubs won't sanction it.

Also, winter is bad enough in Scotland without getting rid of football. The furthest I would go would be a break post-New Year games restarting with the Scottish Cup in the last weekend of January.

macd123
16-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Too many blazer "traditionalists" don't give a monkeys about how the game might look in 20 years time so can't see it happening. The generation coming through certainly don't want to sit in the freezing cold of Jan/Feb though, neither do I for that matter, it's archaic and stupid, utterly devoid of any common sense whatsoever. Frankly I don't care if it rains in the summer, at least it's warm rain :greengrin

It would give us an edge in Europe too as we'd be well underway with our domestic season so would be match ready.

It does make sense. I guess the issues are -
December \ January are rubbish enough without no football.
Christmas and new year football attracts big crowds.
What happens to kids \ grassroots football?

Alfred E Newman
16-01-2015, 07:45 PM
It's easy to come out with the usual summer football stuff at the first sign of bad weather. Last winter we had next to none.
Nobody , including the met office, can say with any certainty when extreme winter weather will appear. At the moment we start the season in the summer and finish in the summer. That makes sense to me.

Lago
16-01-2015, 07:57 PM
As the temperature drops it will be interesting to see how many turn up on Sat.

DH1875
16-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Summer football :rolleyes:

Swedish hibee
16-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I think Scotland is crazzzzzzzy to not have it.

mca
16-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Did we not have a January Shut down before ???

I seem to remember one and then it Snowed like mad during February and caused a Massive back log of games ??? or did I just Dream it.. :confused:

Billy Whizz
16-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Did we not have a January Shut down before ???

I seem to remember one and then it Snowed like mad during February and caused a Massive back log of games ??? or did I just Dream it.. :confused:

We did, and Hibs went to Trinidad and Tobago

Lago
16-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Hearts, Rangers game abandoned because of snow bound pitch. Summer football anyone?

OsloHibs
16-01-2015, 09:50 PM
It's the way to go. It happens here and it's great.

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Yogi quoted in todays Express that he feels the blazers at the SFA/SPFL are failing to promote scottish football. He suggested earlier start to season, Jan shut down etc etc. All very sensible as he says people don't want to sit and freeze they would rather ware T shirts in the sun.

he's absolutely bang on the button, we can't even stand to allow us to at least move about....not good on us auld yins/folk with thin skin

LaMotta
16-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Summer football is a terrible idea.

When it comes to the months of June and July, people want to go abroad on holiday, hit the golf course, spend a day at the races, go to the beach etc etc. All things that are to a certain extent less accessible during the winter.

And what about the impact of events like the World Cup and European Championships? Crowds are unlikely to increase in the summer.

And also, I remember a summer not too long ago when I was playing 11's for a team, when it rained torrentially for the months of July and August 70% of the time. Despite a number of friendly games arranged, our pre season was decimated by flooded pitches. We played more games the following January than we did in July.

All fans need to do is wear some extra layers in the chilly winter months :snowman1

joebakerforever
16-01-2015, 11:33 PM
First sign of extreme weather and the wimps come out bleating for summer football.

I've watched summer matches and it's a languid tempo.

Anyway there's plenty counter attractions on a summer afternoon.

Wonder why there's no clamour for summer fitba by our English cousins, maybe they're a hardier breed :devil:

The_Exile
16-01-2015, 11:58 PM
I've never understood the summer holiday, surely you spend your summer here in the hot weather we get (aye we do get decent weather sometimes!) and then head off in the winter when it's brass monkeys here? That's what I've always done and it's the dugs danglies.

steakbake
17-01-2015, 12:03 AM
F******* golf players and their summer d***ing around in their wee private clubs. Fk 'em. Summer football, in a freezing climate like in Scotland, makes so much sense.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Not for me.

Scotland quite often doesn't have what many people would describe as a summer and June and July are quite often wet, windy and relatively cool.

Ok, it's not as cold as it is right now but the weather is quite often pretty wild.

I've only ever been to one match in my 20 years of going to the football which was abandoned due to weather conditions. That match was played in the middle of summer.

Dashing Bob S
17-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Disagree with Yogi, and disappointed to see a Leith man go so soft and mollycoddled in the Highlands. If anything it should be colder, let's face our winters, thanks to global warming, are for milksops. Let's get massive snowdrifts, and a knew ice age, and the first one who covers their THESE COLOURS DON'T RUN - HIBS ON TOUR t-shirts is a screaming big Jessie boy.

Shields Hibee
17-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Not keen on the idea of playing in the summer. Scotland can have summer conditions one day in what is officially summer then revert back to being cool, wet and windy the next. Yes its cold right now but nothing to get excited about. It was freezing for the Rangers game but the football and result warmed us up.

Lets leave the season as it is, we need something to entertain us in Nov & Dec and have a good excuse to avoid Xmas shopping with the lass :agree:

Forza Fred
17-01-2015, 12:29 AM
It's the way to go. It happens here and it's great.

It is the norm here in Oz too.

To those who say some may not come because of golf etc, yes you are right, but you may find that more stay away due to freezing temperatures in the winter than would stay away in the summer because of golf.

Also, if the Oz experience is anything to go by, you may find an increase in the number of families who attend games, as part of a day out together.

As far as the Rangers v Hearts game being abandoned because of snow...absolutely brilliant news.
To think my two least favourite teams supporters had to trudge in freezing snow to get there, and then it all mattered nowt gave me great glee, as I type this in 33 degree warmth:greengrin

Gatecrasher
17-01-2015, 12:38 AM
I'm all for summer football, football is supposed to be fun. Freezing your nuts off for 2 hours isn't fun.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2015, 12:44 AM
It is the norm here in Oz too.

To those who say some may not come because of golf etc, yes you are right, but you may find that more stay away due to freezing temperatures in the winter than would stay away in the summer because of golf.

Also, if the Oz experience is anything to go by, you may find an increase in the number of families who attend games, as part of a day out together.

As far as the Rangers v Hearts game being abandoned because of snow...absolutely brilliant news.
To think my two least favourite teams supporters had to trudge in freezing snow to get there, and then it all mattered nowt gave me great glee, as I type this in 33 degree warmth:greengrin

I would have thought that Australia would have been a country that would have steered clear of playing in the summer.

Their temperatures during the winter months are often on a par (and sometimes even warmer) with the temperatures in the summer in Scotland and in some places it's drier in the winter as well.

I would imagine that going to a football match when it's around 18 degrees in June or July is quite pleasant and certainly more enjoyable than playing in the 33 degrees heat that you say you're experiencing just now.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-01-2015, 12:57 AM
Winter fitba is fine. Just need to develop that electric snow and rain deflecting grass, and under-seat heating. Sorted.

overdrive
17-01-2015, 01:41 AM
Not for me.

Scotland quite often doesn't have what many people would describe as a summer and June and July are quite often wet, windy and relatively cool.

Ok, it's not as cold as it is right now but the weather is quite often pretty wild.

I've only ever been to one match in my 20 years of going to the football which was abandoned due to weather conditions. That match was played in the middle of summer.

Totally agree (as usual). Not for me and I wouldn't get a season ticket as I would miss too many games. The cold winter games are part of what makes football fun

Alex Trager
17-01-2015, 02:25 AM
First sign of extreme weather and the wimps come out bleating for summer football.

I've watched summer matches and it's a languid tempo.

Anyway there's plenty counter attractions on a summer afternoon.

Wonder why there's no clamour for summer fitba by our English cousins, maybe they're a hardier breed :devil:

They have a governing body that deals with problems like a snowy park.

Tonight, in England you'd expect the game to have been postponed whilst all ground staff clear the park.
Simple.

Not here though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
17-01-2015, 07:20 AM
I would have thought that Australia would have been a country that would have steered clear of playing in the summer.

Their temperatures during the winter months are often on a par (and sometimes even warmer) with the temperatures in the summer in Scotland and in some places it's drier in the winter as well.

I would imagine that going to a football match when it's around 18 degrees in June or July is quite pleasant and certainly more enjoyable than playing in the 33 degrees heat that you say you're experiencing just now.

Nope.

Maybe cos we like to think we're smart and worked out that we don't necessarily kick off at 3pm when it's very, very hot, but that evening kick offs are what is called for.

Don't see this being necessary in Scotland though

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2015, 08:11 AM
It really is nonsense to suggest just as many games are postponed in the summer as there is in the winter. Personally i'd like to see it tried for 3 years, just because we've always done it one way does not mean its the best way.

Games are never postponed in the summer because of the surrounding conditions, just as many folk would i imagine prefer to watch in warmer climates than in the freezing cold.

Until its had a trial, we will never know?

leithsansiro
17-01-2015, 09:14 AM
The way I see it, getting young supporters in to watch their team at an early age is crucial in keeping them for life. Kids, like most folk, are going to enjoy the experience more if they can rock up to the ground without the fear of genuinely freezing to death.

Andy74
17-01-2015, 09:20 AM
The way I see it, getting young supporters in to watch their team at an early age is crucial in keeping them for life. Kids, like most folk, are going to enjoy the experience more if they can rock up to the ground without the fear of genuinely freezing to death.

Quite a bit of the season is played in warmer months. I don't think the crowds go up in those months.

The winter would be crap without football. Leave it alone.

WellingtonHibby
17-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Nope.

Maybe cos we like to think we're smart and worked out that we don't necessarily kick off at 3pm when it's very, very hot, but that evening kick offs are what is called for.

Don't see this being necessary in Scotland though

Is so it doesn't clash with Afl

lord bunberry
17-01-2015, 09:24 AM
It really is nonsense to suggest just as many games are postponed in the summer as there is in the winter. Personally i'd like to see it tried for 3 years, just because we've always done it one way does not mean its the best way.

Games are never postponed in the summer because of the surrounding conditions, just as many folk would i imagine prefer to watch in warmer climates than in the freezing cold.

Exactly. We could try it and if it doesn't work go back to the current system. football at the start of the season is great, you go in your tshirt and after the game you can stand outside in the sun having a beer. How can that not be better than what we will do today.

Alfred E Newman
17-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Exactly. We could try it and if it doesn't work go back to the current system. football at the start of the season is great, you go in your tshirt and after the game you can stand outside in the sun having a beer. How can that not be better than what we will do today.

You can do that for a large chunk of the season at the moment. I think I am right in saying June is the only month without football.

LaMotta
17-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Nobody on this thread has suggested that overall more games are postponed in Winter than Summer. In recent years I would think the amount of Hibs games postponed in the Winter and Summer months would be the same. ie none.

To suggest games are never postponed in the summer because of weather though isn't right, Hibs v Barnsley and Hibs v Rapid Bucharest in the last couple of years have proved that:

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/sport/article/4242/reds-fans-disappointed-over-hibs-postponement
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/waterlogged-pitch-cancels-hibs-clash-with-rapid-bucharest-1-2404826

I can't remember the last time a Hibs game was postponed in the winter ( im sure someone can tell me though!), and having taken a look outside at the conditions it looks like a fine day for cheering on Hibernian :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2015, 10:25 AM
How many games in the Scottish leagues have been postponed in the summer compared to the winter?

Forza Fred
17-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Quite a bit of the season is played in warmer months. I don't think the crowds go up in those months.

The winter would be crap without football. Leave it alone.

Thankfully I worked out at a relatively early age that the winter IS crap, even WITH fitba:wink:

Forza Fred
17-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Is so it doesn't clash with Afl

Nope

LaMotta
17-01-2015, 10:36 AM
How many games in the Scottish leagues have been postponed in the summer compared to the winter?

How many Scottish League games have been scheduled in the summer compared to the winter?

Forza Fred
17-01-2015, 10:45 AM
As a couple of wise people have suggested, you will never know until you trial it.

Personally, how I view Scottish football at the moment, you have nothing to lose by implementing such a trial.

LaMotta
17-01-2015, 10:59 AM
As a couple of wise people have suggested, you will never know until you trial it.

Personally, how I view Scottish football at the moment, you have nothing to lose by implementing such a trial.

The Scottish Football season lasts 10 months, so the idea of summer football would realistically have to see the season start in February and end in November. So when the first summer football season started, you would have to either play a shortened half season before that which would be silly or wait from the end of May one season to begin the next one in February, meaning 8 whole months of no football. This would be terrible :shocked:

Then once the experiment had proven that crowds did not increase and that a rainy July had seen games postponed due to waterlogged pitches, there would be the hassle of changing back to the Winter Season :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
17-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Just out of interest. Could someone go through the details of how we change. We obviously have to finish one season before we start another. If we finish as we do at the moment in May when do we start the new Summer Fitba season keeping in mind it takes at least 10 months to complete?

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Never mind the pitches & that, what about us poor sods that have to travel in the snow and rain. Dunno how many of you lot have attempted the drive from Edinburgh to the Borders down the A7 lately ... the road is so badly maintained that at times its pure guesswork knowing where the carriageway is after dark ... is there a white paint shortage in Midlothian & the Borders ? I'm glad its snowed down here, at least I'll be able to tell where the edge of the road is.

For that and all the other positive reasons don't understand why we don't at least try summer fitba.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Just out of interest. Could someone go through the details of how we change. We obviously have to finish one season before we start another. If we finish as we do at the moment in May when do we start the new Summer Fitba season keeping in mind it takes at least 10 months to complete?

Start next season as usual, but play each other home and away only once, the season could then end about the end of January. Start the following season in March

emerald green
17-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Nobody (I think) has even mentioned the potential for more serious injuries to the players trying to play football in these often frequent treacherous conditions during winter.

We don't need to close down for the whole of winter, just maybe 4-6 weeks say after the New Year fixtures.

As for golf, if anyone is that bothered, a game of golf can be played in the morning before going to a match, or afterwards in the evening during the longer hours of daylight in the summer.

TowerHibs
17-01-2015, 12:22 PM
I have had ideas for this for years. Personally I would go to summer football and then localise the league cup to local group stages.

Anyone remember goalgetters??? Well imagine sending your kid to that and then once a week they go to hibs v livi, Falkirk v dun midweek after the session to watch a game which some of those players have visited the kids school during the week.

This is about getting new supporters into football. Not about big jamsey who plays golf on a sat morning (who can still go to the game btw).

These abandoned fixtures cost smaller clubs an absolute fortune.

Worth a try.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2015, 12:56 PM
How many Scottish League games have been scheduled in the summer compared to the winter?

A lot hopefully very soon. :wink: Some smaller clubs complain about having no home games for months, in fact i remember seeing an interview with Jimmy Nichol at Cowdenbeath a couple of seasons ago where they had not had a home game in something like 10 weeks.

Its not all about the top league, its about all the leagues and their finances. I dont see the problem in giving it a trial over 3 seasons or so.

Pretty Boy
17-01-2015, 01:02 PM
A lot of the arguments for summer football make sense.

Personally though I like my football in the autumn, winter and spring and my summers for other things.

rabcp1
17-01-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere it costs teams around £10K in lost revenue to call of a game, that's a hell of a lot of money for teams outside of the top division! I don't for one second believe that simply moving to a summer season would solve all of the problems with Scottish football but it would be a step in the right direction. There's so many positive arguments for this; better weather, a possibly improved TV deal, better pitches, lower match day expenses for clubs, teams being match fit in the early rounds for Europe..

What are the negative arguments... it's tradition, I might miss the golf and there would be no football on during winter :rolleyes:

The positives IMO vastly outweigh the negatives, We would be crazy not to try it for at least a couple of seasons!

HH81
17-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Summer football would clash with summer rugby league however i still think we should give it a go.

Keith_M
17-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Nobody on this thread has suggested that overall more games are postponed in Winter than Summer. In recent years I would think the amount of Hibs games postponed in the Winter and Summer months would be the same. ie none.

To suggest games are never postponed in the summer because of weather though isn't right, Hibs v Barnsley and Hibs v Rapid Bucharest in the last couple of years have proved that:

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/sport/article/4242/reds-fans-disappointed-over-hibs-postponement
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/waterlogged-pitch-cancels-hibs-clash-with-rapid-bucharest-1-2404826

I can't remember the last time a Hibs game was postponed in the winter ( im sure someone can tell me though!), and having taken a look outside at the conditions it looks like a fine day for cheering on Hibernian :greengrin

Because of having undersoil heating, that is true.

However, the big difference could be in the size of crowds during the summer compared to the winter. I think that's the main reason people think Summer Football would be best.

I have no idea if that would be the case but I'd be all in favour giving it a try for 2-3 seasons.

Alfred E Newman
17-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Because of having undersoil heating, that is true.

However, the big difference could be in the size of crowds during the summer compared to the winter. I think that's the main reason people think Summer Football would be best.

I have no idea if that would be the case but I'd be all in favour giving it a try for 2-3 seasons.

I think the notion of bigger crowds in the summer is a fallacy. Attendances tend to be performance related and the attraction of other summer pastimes during June and July would see crowds drop even more than they do at the moment.

lord bunberry
17-01-2015, 08:01 PM
You can do that for a large chunk of the season at the moment. I think I am right in saying June is the only month without football.

And July(or at least the vast majority of it) we should be playing when the weather is best, not when its worst

silverhibee
17-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Summer football would clash with summer rugby league however i still think we should give it a go.

:faf:

Some guy J. :greengrin

silverhibee
17-01-2015, 08:54 PM
I would like to see a trial period of summer football for 3 years, if it doesn't work we go back to the freezing cold footie.

Eyrie
17-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I would like to see a trial period of summer football for 3 years, if it doesn't work we go back to the freezing cold footie.

:agree: We have nothing to lose but our chilblains.

Phil MaGlass
18-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Were almost getting our wish for summer fitba with the playoffs this year.

Hibbyradge
18-01-2015, 10:24 AM
There's a thread on the Holy Ground about improving the match day experience by bringing back alcohol.

I think it would be improved if we didn't have to wear 5 layers, 2 pairs of socks, and a hat and gloves, while the icy wind was doing its best to rip the flesh from our faces.

I'm convinced we'd see a lot more older people at the games if they were played in the summer.

There's nothing more conservative than a football fan.

Andy74
18-01-2015, 11:49 AM
There's a thread on the Holy Ground about improving the match day experience by bringing back alcohol.

I think it would be improved if we didn't have to wear 5 layers, 2 pairs of socks, and a hat and gloves, while the icy wind was doing its best to rip the flesh from our faces.

I'm convinced we'd see a lot more older people at the games if they were played in the summer.

There's nothing more conservative than a football fan.

It's a long season and much of it is played in warmer weather. Do crowds go up at all?

How do they cope in a North America with outdoor winter sport?

Add it to the list of mythical things that would bring people back if changed.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I reckon summer football does not entice that many people to the games, but i do think the cold weather puts some people off going.

Lago
18-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Bitterley cold day, only 8200 attending and people on here complaining about a lack of atmosphere. Some times you just have to try something different and if it doesn't work hold your hand up and admit it, go back to what you did before.
I would give it a try.