PDA

View Full Version : Gms (nhc)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Pre contract deal with Celtic signed, etc...

Daft move for him IMO.

HH81
16-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Money rules no doubt.

J-C
16-01-2015, 11:31 AM

Daft move for him IMO.

I think the most galling thing about players like this is their club has developed them, stood by with all the injuries and helped them get to a level where they should get a few quid when they move on. I remember Garry O signing a small extention at ER just so we could get a decent fee from the Russian club when he signed.

SteveHFC
16-01-2015, 11:37 AM
What a ****ing idiot. Had the chance to go back down south. No doubt he'll rot on the bench at Celtic.

Col2
16-01-2015, 11:42 AM
At least Leigh Griffiths will get a move to a club that appreciates him now.

Billy Whizz
16-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Daft move for him IMO.

He's going to get absolute pelters from the United aupport. Celtic/United would be better to agree a fee in this window

easty
16-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I think its a good move for him. He's a decent player, but he'd no be anywhere near the starting 11 at a top-half EPL side. He'll get to play Champions League football now.

I'd expect a deal to be agreed for him to move in January now though.

Aldo
16-01-2015, 11:44 AM
What a ****ing idiot. Had the chance to go back down south. No doubt he'll rot on the bench at Celtic.

Probably but once again they weaken the opposition and don't pay a fee.

The decision is his at the end of the day.

hibee_girl
He's going to get absolute pelters from the United aupport. Celtic/United would be better to agree a fee in this window

Would be surprised if he didn't move in January now.

Aldo

Hopefully Col hopefully. :-)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Doubt it'll be us though :boo hoo:

Andy74
16-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I think the most galling thing about players like this is their club has developed them, stood by with all the injuries and helped them get to a level where they should get a few quid when they move on. I remember Garry O signing a small extention at ER just so we could get a decent fee from the Russian club when he signed.

They signed him from Airdrie and he had been at a few clubs by then.

That's the way it is with contracts, what you get is the player playing for you during that time in return for giving them some wages.

The development fees are in place for younger players where you can say you haven't really seen the benefit in what you put into developing them yet.

SteveHFC
16-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Have some faith man.

Hibby Bairn
16-01-2015, 11:53 AM
I think its a good move for him. He's a decent player, but he'd no be anywhere near the starting 11 at a top-half EPL side. He'll get to play Champions League football now.

I'd expect a deal to be agreed for him to move in January now though.

I agree with this. Good young Scottish player who will now have a decent chance to develop further if he really wants it.

Good luck to him.

Billy Whizz
16-01-2015, 11:56 AM

It could derail United's season if they don't agree something

Col2
16-01-2015, 12:02 PM

I think your right but they may want to keep him for cup semi just before transfer window. Imagine if he stayed and played v's Celtic in league cup final!! He is cup tied so can't play for Celtic.

PeterboroHibee
16-01-2015, 12:26 PM
I think its a good move for him.

The options down South he was getting were League One clubs as far as I can tell. Hes not the type of player I could really see working in the lower leagues. Plus, he will win things at Celtic, get paid more money and have European football. I dont like seeing the OF signing players from other Scottish teams, but from his point of view its a no brainer imo.

3pm
16-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Probably but once again they weaken the opposition and don't pay a fee.

The decision is his at the end of the day.

I am not sure that's their game anymore Aldo. Maybe being daft but I can't think of too many they have signed.

Win the league every year and a good chance of a cup and Champions League fitba or trawl about places like Oldham each week?! No brainer for me.

StarMan10
16-01-2015, 12:38 PM
I am not sure that's their game anymore Aldo. Maybe being daft but I can't think of too many they have signed.

Win the league every year and a good chance of a cup and Champions League fitba or trawl about places like Oldham each week?! No brainer for me.

I think they did indeed move away from that tactic over the past few years but this could be the start of new wave of oppistion weakening. With Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc all in much stronger financial positions now I would be surprised if Celtic started to get a bit frightened.

Big_Franck
16-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Totally agree with this. Don't get anyone that would slate a young scottish player that signs for celtc when their other options are english championship/league one clubs.

Win trophies, play in the Champions League and have a good chance of playing for Scotland or play the likes of Brentford, Huddersfield and Preston every week. It's not even a difficult decision to make IMO.

Of course, it would be different if there were english premiership sides after him but he's not at that level.

PeterboroHibee
16-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I think they did indeed move away from that tactic over the past few years but this could be the start of new wave of oppistion weakening. With Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc all in much stronger financial positions now I would be surprised if Celtic started to get a bit frightened.

But with that comes less pressure for these clubs to sell to Celtic (or at least more power to get good money for them). United were in the unfortunate position that one of their best players wouldnt commit to a longer term deal.

GreenArmyyy!
16-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Personally I think he should take the money while he can. Don't think he has improved all that much since he first burst on to the scene, very inconsistent player IMO.

Beefster
16-01-2015, 01:05 PM
A SPL team probably guaranteed to win the league for the next few years, oodles of cash and Champions League football (or the qualifiers) every year versus a team currently 6th in League One.

As much as I detest Celtc, I can't imagine it's that difficult a decision for most footballers.

bingo70
16-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Gets to win trophies, make loads of money, stay near friends and family and will probably increase his chances of international recognition.

No brainer for him unfortunately.

patlowe
16-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Personally I think he should take the money while he can. Don't think he has improved all that much since he first burst on to the scene, very inconsistent player IMO.

Spot on IMO, based on what I've seen. Not sure how much stock you can put in these things or how conscious a decision it is but it's noticeable how his performances have suddenly got better as his contract edges towards its end.

If we're looking for future international prospects I'd say Armstrong is the one with the most potential. Physically stronger, a better all-rounder and more consistent, again, just from what I've seen.

Aldo
16-01-2015, 01:23 PM
I am not sure that's their game anymore Aldo. Maybe being daft but I can't think of too many they have signed. Win the league every year and a good chance of a cup and Champions League fitba or trawl about places like Oldham each week?! No brainer for me.

Could be right 3pm.

J-C
16-01-2015, 02:29 PM
They signed him from Airdrie and he had been at a few clubs by then.

That's the way it is with contracts, what you get is the player playing for you during that time in return for giving them some wages.

The development fees are in place for younger players where you can say you haven't really seen the benefit in what you put into developing them yet.

Didn't realise his youth career was Liverpool and Fulham before signing for Airdrie in 2011, I awlays thought he came through the youth ranks at Dundee U, looks like they'll get nowt as they didn't develop him from youth, also didn't realise he's now 24 yrs old, looks so much younger.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2015, 02:52 PM

I'd rather chop my right arm off than sign for Celtic.

GreensesArab
16-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Good post Reminds me of Chris Killen. I think he was SPL top scorer back in 2006 before being injured up at Pittodrie, I think. We nursed him back to fitness then he buggered off to Parkhead to warm the subs' bench.

Pete
16-01-2015, 03:20 PM
I hate all this pre contract stuff. Celtic have actually destabilised the opposition now without paying a penny meaning it's the best of both worlds for them and the worst of both for United.

Great move for the player, freedom of contract blah blah but people are going to lose interest in the Scottish game unless things are evened up.

woodythehibee
16-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Didn't realise his youth career was Liverpool and Fulham before signing for Airdrie in 2011, I awlays thought he came through the youth ranks at Dundee U, looks like they'll get nowt as they didn't develop him from youth, also didn't realise he's now 24 yrs old, looks so much younger.

Pretty sure he is/was a hibby too.

Lago
16-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Bolton

Bronson
16-01-2015, 04:15 PM
GMS used to be a really cracking player a couple years ago but he's went off the boil with injuries etc. He's a player on his day but I'm quite surprised Celtic signed him, started this season on the bench a lot for Utd, they'll cope without him.

If he went down south it was only going to be a standard championship team. Premier League ability but League One consistency.

ekhibee
16-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Pretty sure he is/was a hibby too.
GMS was a hibby? Never heard that. So we could have got him for £250k...

since90plustwo
16-01-2015, 06:05 PM
GMS is from thurso so would be surprised if he was a hibby. Don't really see the fuss about him, hes good on his day but a bit of a one trick pony. If he was as good as people make him out to be he would have been away with the likes of goodwillie conway russell ALLAN before now.

Pre contracts are everywhere not just the scottish game, its a decent thing i think. All views aside on the player but can remember when everybody was creaming themselves on here and praising the club over getting liam craig on this kind of deal.

Greencore
16-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Good on him. If he's as good as people say he is he will make it their and not be a bench warmer. I hope he does well, can only be good for the Scotland national team.

lucky
16-01-2015, 07:39 PM

Aye I'm sure that would be the case

leggeto
16-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Same old,take away the players who pose a threat by waving a big cheque in their face

stoneyburn hibs
16-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Looks to me that he is a better player than moving from DU to Celtic, find this a strange one. IMO not as talented players, even from his club have had better moves.

Aldo
16-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Looks to me that he is a better player than moving from DU to Celtic, find this a strange one. IMO not as talented players, even from his club have had better moves.

They have but Smellic are getting a decent SPL standard playing for nowt! The others would of cost a considerable bit more.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I think the most galling thing about players like this is their club has developed them, stood by with all the injuries and helped them get to a level where they should get a few quid when they move on. I remember Garry O signing a small extention at ER just so we could get a decent fee from the Russian club when he signed.Riordan and Caldwell done the same to us.

DH1875
16-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Good post Reminds me of Chris Killen. I think he was SPL top scorer back in 2006 before being injured up at Pittodrie, I think. We nursed him back to fitness then he buggered off to Parkhead to warm the subs' bench.

We offered Killen a one year deal because of the injury. Celtic offered him a 3 year deal on 4/5 times the money. Another no brainer for me I'm afraid.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Aye I'm sure that would be the case

Perhaps a slight exaggeration but you get my point.

I would prefer to play at an obscure level in England than sign for Celtic.

Playing for them wouldn't mean a thing to me.

3pm
16-01-2015, 08:51 PM

A noble statement.....when you have **** all chance of signing for them!

Sir David Gray
16-01-2015, 09:54 PM
A noble statement.....when you have **** all chance of signing for them!

Very true.

You'll just have to take my word for it.

erin go bragh
16-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Bolton

His kids are up here . Cant see him going to Bolton tbh ,
Didnt work out for him at Wolves .

Ggtth

PeterboroHibee
17-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Perhaps a slight exaggeration but you get my point.

I would prefer to play at an obscure level in England than sign for Celtic.

Playing for them wouldn't mean a thing to me.

Its easy to say that a) from a fans point of view, and b) when it isnt your career.

Jones28
17-01-2015, 09:38 AM
On a side note I don't think 26 is particularly young is it? If he didn't move on now I doubt he'd have gotten much of chane to move to as big a club as Celtic in terms of wages and champions league football.

Del Boy
17-01-2015, 09:46 AM
He's 24

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2015, 10:06 AM
He's 24

I thought he was 26 as well - I think it was Radio Scotland the other night that said it.

He is 24 though - 25 this year and in football terms that's not young any more (if it ever was).

Jones28
17-01-2015, 11:18 AM
I thought he was 26 as well - I think it was Radio Scotland the other night that said it.

He is 24 though - 25 this year and in football terms that's not young any more (if it ever was).

Classic radio Scotland, that's where I got it from.

greenlex
17-01-2015, 12:22 PM
I'd sign for Celtic in a minute. Ten times the wages. Get to stay in the same area and increase my International call up ten fold. What's not to like?

KanyeWestLower
26-01-2015, 08:03 PM
GMS is from thurso so would be surprised if he was a hibby. Don't really see the fuss about him, hes good on his day but a bit of a one trick pony. If he was as good as people make him out to be he would have been away with the likes of goodwillie conway russell ALLAN before now.

Pre contracts are everywhere not just the scottish game, its a decent thing i think. All views aside on the player but can remember when everybody was creaming themselves on here and praising the club over getting liam craig on this kind of deal.

100% hibby. What team do people from Thurso support out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
26-01-2015, 08:07 PM

Ross County?

Genuinely interested in this. Probably Rangers. :rolleyes:

KanyeWestLower
26-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Why?

Wilson
26-01-2015, 10:44 PM
I'd sign for Celtic in a minute. Ten times the wages. Get to stay in the same area and increase my International call up ten fold. What's not to like?

Sitting on the bench every week.

hibbymick
26-01-2015, 10:49 PM

:aok: I watched a Hibs v Aberdeen game in Thurso about 5 or 6 years ago. Plenty Hibbys came in the pub to watch that game.

greenginger
26-01-2015, 11:01 PM
:aok: I watched a Hibs v Aberdeen game in Thurso about 5 or 6 years ago. Plenty Hibbys came in the pub to watch that game.

There used to be Thurso Hibs Supporters Club. A lot of guys from down here went to work at Dounreay Power Plant when it was built in the 1960's.

caithnesshibee
26-01-2015, 11:38 PM

Most people support Rangers Celtic or Aberdeen up here. Not many off is Hibees up here. Not sure who GMS supported as I don't know him, have heard he's a Celtic supporter though.

KanyeWestLower
27-01-2015, 06:28 AM
He is a hibby, trust me..

woodythehibee
27-01-2015, 01:44 PM
He is a hibby, trust me..

:agree: