PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Australian Open

Sir David Gray
14-01-2015, 11:08 PM
The 2015 tennis season begins on Monday from Melbourne.

12 months ago Stan Wawrinka beat Rafael Nadal to win his first ever Grand Slam tournament in the men's event and in the women's event, the now retired, Li Na beat Dominika Cibulkova.

I would be surprised if we see any of those players reach the finals this year.

In the men's draw, I don't think you can look much further than Novak Djokovic to be the champion. He's won it four times already and lost last year in a brilliant encounter with Wawrinka who probably played one of the matches of his life.

If I was a betting man, my money would be on him.

As for the women's draw, it is a bit less predictable. There has to come a time when Serena Williams will become less dominant and whilst I'm not totally convinced that it will happen just yet, I think the younger players coming up like Simona Halep and Eugenie Bouchard have a great chance of doing something this time around. Then you've also got the likes of Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova and Agnieszka Radwanska.

As for British involvement, it's a case of the same old story unfortunately with Andy Murray being the only real prospect in either the men's or women's events. Kyle Edmund and Liam Broady are still involved in qualifying so hopefully they can both make it through to the main draw.

In the women's draw, Laura Robson has already pulled out through injury so it looks like Heather Watson may be the only hope for Britain although I don't fancy her to go too far.

Hoping it will be a good tournament.

You can't beat the Australian Open when you have a match at midnight, a wee sleep and then wake up for the night match at 8am!

PatHead
14-01-2015, 11:37 PM
About time this thread was up. Didn't want to steal your thunder by making a thread.

Think Murray has a fair seeding and hope his new coaching team work.

What effect will the new set up have on him and will he miss his "buddies"?

What tv side is it on?

How do you fancy Murray's chances?

Is he going to play every game at the hottest time of the day again?

When is the draw getting made?

Sir David Gray
14-01-2015, 11:49 PM
About time this thread was up. Didn't want to steal your thunder by making a thread.

Think Murray has a fair seeding and hope his new coaching team work.

What effect will the new set up have on him and will he miss his "buddies"?

What tv side is it on?

How do you fancy Murray's chances?

Is he going to play every game at the hottest time of the day again?

When is the draw getting made?

Glad you learned your lesson after last year. :greengrin

Murray's seeded sixth which could mean that he faces either Djokovic or Federer in the quarter finals.

I think the merits of his new coaching set up have yet to be seen. I personally have my doubts about how successful he's going to be under Mauresmo but time will tell on that one.

I think he'll do ok at the Australian Open. He has a decent record at the event and has obviously reached the final on three previous occasions. I can see him getting to the semis but I don't see him as the potential champion.

TV coverage, as always, will be on Eurosport 1 and 2 throughout the tournament. I believe the BBC will do their usual and broadcast one men's semi final plus the final of the men's and women's tournaments.

PatHead
14-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Don't have Eurosport :confused:

Think Raonic will be a good each way bet. If he gets his serve going he will be trouble for anyone and I think if he is going to make it this will be the year to take the next step.

Makes Murray look like a cheery soul though.

Sir David Gray
14-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Don't have Eurosport :confused:

Think Raonic will be a good each way bet. If he gets his serve going he will be trouble for anyone and I think if he is going to make it this will be the year to take the next step.

Makes Murray look like a cheery soul though.

Do you not have Sky or Virgin?

PatHead
15-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Do you not have Sky or Virgin?

No cable in the hills, used to have a Sky dish but wind really screws a Sky dish so have BT. :confused:

Pretty useless really.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2015, 10:03 PM
No cable in the hills, used to have a Sky dish but wind really screws a Sky dish so have BT. :confused:

Pretty useless really.

I'm not too familiar with BT TV, I take it that it doesn't have Eurosport?

Pretty poor if true.

PatHead
15-01-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm not too familiar with BT TV, I take it that it doesn't have Eurosport?

Pretty poor if true.

Nope BT Sports 1 and 2 and ESPN.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Nope BT Sports 1 and 2 and ESPN.

That's poor. I saw something mentioned about the TV entertainment pack when I was looking through their deals a while back and I saw something mentioning Eurosport.

Is it just a catch up service that's available for Eurosport or have I got that totally wrong!?

Sir David Gray
15-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Murray has been handed a pretty hard draw.

He should get through the first three rounds without too much trouble.

He plays a qualifier in round one and then will either play Marinko Matosevic or another qualifier in the second round. He'll then potentially play Martin Klizan in round three.

However it will then probably get a whole lot harder.

He will possibly play Grigor Dimitrov in the last 16, the man who hammered him at Wimbledon last year. If he manages to get past him, he's due to face Roger Federer in the quarter finals. If he gets to the semis, he'll be seeded to play Rafael Nadal and then in the final, he would be due to play Novak Djokovic.

That is one tough round of matches from the fourth round onwards.

PatHead
16-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Murray has been handed a pretty hard draw.

He should get through the first three rounds without too much trouble.

He plays a qualifier in round one and then will either play Marinko Matosevic or another qualifier in the second round. He'll then potentially play Martin Klizan in round three.

However it will then probably get a whole lot harder.

He will possibly play Grigor Dimitrov in the last 16, the man who hammered him at Wimbledon last year. If he manages to get past him, he's due to face Roger Federer in the quarter finals. If he gets to the semis, he'll be seeded to play Rafael Nadal and then in the final, he would be due to play Novak Djokovic.

That is one tough round of matches from the fourth round onwards.

No matter where he is seeded he never seems to get an easy draw. Would be an amazing achievement to beat Federer, Nadal then Djokovic

Sir David Gray
16-01-2015, 10:56 AM
No matter where he is seeded he never seems to get an easy draw. Would be an amazing achievement to beat Federer, Nadal then Djokovic

It certainly would.

Dimitrov wouldn't be easy either.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Gary Anderson proved it was possible to overcome a tough draw by beating last years finalists in the quarter and semi final before taking care of Phil Taylor in the final of the PDC World Champs.

Go for it Andy!

Danderhall Hibs
16-01-2015, 10:31 PM
He needs to get his world ranking up so he avoid draws like this.

What ever happened to Falkirk Hibee? Is he now trig or does trig just write his posts in a similar style?

Sir David Gray
16-01-2015, 11:00 PM
He needs to get his world ranking up so he avoid draws like this.

What ever happened to Falkirk Hibee? Is he now trig or does trig just write his posts in a similar style?

Falkirk Hibee's dead, long live Falkirk Hibee. :greengrin

I changed my username about a year ago after the death of Roger Lloyd-Pack, who I loved in Only Fools and Horses.

Agree with your first point.

He needs to try to at least get into the top four again so that he doesn't meet the likes of Dimitrov in the last 16 and that he doesn't meet the big boys until the semis.

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Falkirk Hibee's dead, long live Falkirk Hibee. :greengrin

I changed my username about a year ago after the death of Roger Lloyd-Pack, who I loved in Only Fools and Horses.

Agree with your first point.

He needs to try to at least get into the top four again so that he doesn't meet the likes of Dimitrov in the last 16 and that he doesn't meet the big boys until the semis.
Makes sense now! I though someone was using your trademark. :greengrin

heretoday
17-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Always bet on Djokovic is my mantra. Do him in a win double with a well priced woman player.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Always bet on Djokovic is my mantra. Do him in a win double with a well priced woman player.

He's certainly got a very impressive record in Australia.

I personally wouldn't look past Djokovic for the title.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Andy Murray plays his first match on Monday against Indian qualifier Yuki Bhambri.

His opponent is 22 and is currently ranked 317th in the world and is playing in the main draw of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career.

The match should be on around 1:30am UK time.

Although the match is on around 12:30pm local time, the temperature's not too bad for Monday, it should be a very pleasant 21 degrees.

I don't expect Murray to face too much resistance here.

PatHead
18-01-2015, 05:55 PM
See 2 other British men made it into the finals, Kyle Edmund and Jamie Ward.

Never heard of Edmund before.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2015, 06:09 PM
See 2 other British men made it into the finals, Kyle Edmund and Jamie Ward.

Never heard of Edmund before.

Edmund's had a very good junior record over the last three or four years, getting to at least the quarter finals in all four Grand Slam events. He's also won the Junior doubles event at both the French Open and US Open.

He's recently broken into the top 200 in the men's rankings and has qualified for the main draw of a Grand Slam through merit for the first time in his career.

I think he has a decent chance in his opening match against Steve Johnson. Johnson has never won a match at the Australian Open main draw although he has been unlucky in his previous two matches, losing both times in five sets.

He's ranked inside the top 40 in the world so he clearly has something about him but I think if Edmund plays the right way, he could do some damage.

He's only just turned 20 as well so he has plenty of time on his side.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Good to see Murray getting off to a solid start in his first round match this morning.

He beat Yuki Bhambri in straight sets and will now play Marinko Matosevic in round two.

There were also straight sets wins for Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2015, 09:11 PM
A bad day for the Brits on day two unfortunately.

Kyle Edmund, James Ward and Heather Watson all lost their first round matches meaning that Andy Murray is the last remaining British player in either the men's or women's draw after only two days of action.

Murray is in second round action on Wednesday against Marinko Matosevic.

Just like his first match, he should be in action around 1:30am UK time. However, unlike Monday it's to be a lot hotter and it should be around 30 degrees during the match.

Also in action is Roger Federer, who should be on around 3:30am against Simone Bolelli and Rafael Nadal is on at 8am against Tim Smyczek.

PatHead
20-01-2015, 09:51 PM
A bad day for the Brits on day two unfortunately.

Kyle Edmund, James Ward and Heather Watson all lost their first round matches meaning that Andy Murray is the last remaining British player in either the men's or women's draw after only two days of action.

Murray is in second round action on Wednesday against Marinko Matosevic.

Just like his first match, he should be in action around 1:30am UK time. However, unlike Monday it's to be a lot hotter and it should be around 30 degrees during the match.

Also in action is Roger Federer, who should be on around 3:30am against Simone Bolelli and Rafael Nadal is on at 8am against Tim Smyczek.

Can't see Federer or Nadal having a problem, Murray will have to compete against a local crowd as well as his opponent.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Can't see Federer or Nadal having a problem, Murray will have to compete against a local crowd as well as his opponent.

Yep Federer and Nadal should both win without any problem. I think Murray will win in straight sets as well to be honest.

He's played Matosevic twice before and hasn't lost a set so far. He's a fairly limited player and he had never been past the first round at the Australian Open before this year.

I can see the first set possibly being close but I would be surprised if he manages to take a set from Murray.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-01-2015, 08:35 AM
6-1, 6-3, 6-2 for Murray in just under 1 3/4 hrs.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Obviously didn't see any of the match but i'm glad to see Murray got through that match so quickly considering how hot it was.

He now plays Joao Sousa in round three.

Federer beat Bolelli despite losing the first set after suffering an issue with his finger.

Nadal currently one set all against Tim Smyczek and 3-3 in the third set.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Smyczek wins the third set on a tiebreak.

Nadal will need to win this in five sets now.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Nadal takes the fourth set 6-3 and it's into a decider.

Hibee87
21-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Nadal breaks in the 5th and serving for the match

Sir David Gray
21-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Nadal took the match in 5 sets.

You've got to love Rafa!!

Sir David Gray
21-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Novak Djokovic is back in action on Thursday against Andrey Kuznetsov. He should be on around 3am UK time.

Defending champion, Stan Wawrinka, is on as well against Marius Copil and his match begins around 1:30am UK time.

Serena Williams will play Vera Zvonareva at approximately 1:30am UK time. Her sister, Venus, will play at midnight.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Novak Djokovic breezed into round three after a straight sets win over Andrey Kuznetsov.

There was disappointment for Lleyton Hewitt who lost to Benjamin Becker despite being two sets up. There's speculation that he may be considering retirement in the not too distant future.

Stan Wawrinka is also into the next round after defeating Marius Copil in straight sets.

Victoria Azarenka beat Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets and there were also wins for the two Williams sisters.

Andy Murray plays his third round match on Friday against Joao Sousa. The match should begin around 3:30am UK time. It's forecast to be cooler tomorrow than it was on Wednesday for his second round match so that should go in his favour.

I don't expect any hiccups with this one.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Just watching the last 16 opposition just now with Grigor Dimitrov v Marcos Baghdatis.

Assuming Murray wins later on, he'll play the winner of this match in the fourth round on Sunday.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Could be an interesting story developing in that match as Baghdatis has taken the first set 6-4.

I'll need to wait until I wake up to find out what happened as it's bed time now!

Pretty Boy
23-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Murray through, Federer out.

PatHead
23-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Murray through, Federer out.

Never saw that coming.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Another good win for Murray today, winning in straight sets. The tournament really starts now for him though as the first real test comes up next against Grigor Dimitrov in the last 16 after he came through against Marcos Baghdatis in five sets.

I'm shocked to see that Roger Federer is out at the third round stage of the Australian Open though, which is his earliest exit at the tournament since 2001.

I'm even more shocked that his exit was at the hands of Andreas Seppi considering that he had never lost to him in their ten previous matches.

If Murray gets past Dimitrov, he really ought to get to the semis as he would play either Seppi or Nick Kyrgios in the quarter finals, who are both unseeded.

PatHead
23-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Another good win for Murray today, winning in straight sets. The tournament really starts now for him though as the first real test comes up next against Grigor Dimitrov in the last 16 after he came through against Marcos Baghdatis in five sets.

I'm shocked to see that Roger Federer is out at the third round stage of the Australian Open though, which is his earliest exit at the tournament since 2001.

I'm even more shocked that his exit was at the hands of Andreas Seppi considering that he had never lost to him in their ten previous matches.

If Murray gets past Dimitrov, he really ought to get to the semis as he would play either Seppi or Nick Kyrgios in the quarter finals, who are both unseeded.

Has Dimitrov done much since Wimbledon and what is there head to head?

Sir David Gray
23-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Has Dimitrov done much since Wimbledon and what is there head to head?

Murray leads the head to head 4-2. Along with the match at Wimbledon, Dimitrov also beat Murray at Acapulco last year in three sets. This is only their second Grand Slam meeting.

Dimitrov's form since Wimbledon has been ok but not spectacular.

His form in the Masters and Grand Slam events since then is;

Toronto Masters - Semis (lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga)
Cincinnati Masters - 2nd round (lost to Jerzy Janowicz)
US Open - last 16 (lost to Gael Monfils)
Shanghai Masters - 2nd round (lost to Julien Benneteau)
Paris Masters - last 16 (lost to Andy Murray)

He hasn't won any titles since then and he's only made one final which was a 250 event in Stockholm.

He definitely has the game to trouble Murray but if Andy plays his best tennis, I think he'll be fine.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Better news on the scheduling front for Andy Murray fans.

His last 16 match against Grigor Dimitrov is the second night match on the Rod Laver Arena tomorrow, meaning the match should start around 9:30am UK time.

It's not so good if you're a Rafael Nadal fan though as his match against Kevin Anderson is due to start at around 3am UK time.

Novak Djokovic looks like he's going to progress into the last 16 as he's currently two sets up on Fernando Verdasco and Stan Wawrinka is also through to the next round in straight sets.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Nadal took the match in 5 sets.

You've got to love Rafa!!

Not sure if I fancy watching 5 sets of him picking his underwear out of his chorus and verse! ;-)

Sir David Gray
24-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Not sure if I fancy watching 5 sets of him picking his underwear out of his chorus and verse! ;-)

I know a few people who get really annoyed by all his on court habits but it doesn't bother me at all.

I just love watching him play.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Bloody awful start by Murray. First service game was torn apart.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Much better, back on serve.

This is going to be a war, if you're not watching then get tuned in.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 09:32 AM
First set Murray. 0-3 down to a 6-4 set win that was quite comfortable towards the end.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Murray breaks serve in the 2nd set, 2-1 and a set up now. Is it me or does Murray look even bigger and stronger than before?

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Murray breaks serve in the 2nd set, 2-1 and a set up now. Is it me or does Murray look even bigger and stronger than before?

I thought that the other day but thought it was just the luminous green t shirt he was wearing (there was some study done a few years ago that luminous blues and greens made you look bigger, Scotland had a goalkeeper top based on the study) but he's in black tonight and still looks huge.

PatHead
25-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Take it this is only on Eurosport? Hate listening on radio

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Pretty sure it's only Eurosport.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Yep.

The BBC only get involved in one semi and the final.

Murray breaks to serve for a two sets lead. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 10:33 AM
But Dimitrov breaks straight back.

Second set tiebreak.

PatHead
25-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Yep.

The BBC only get involved in one semi and the final.

Murray breaks to serve for a two sets lead. :thumbsup:

Hope Murray is still in then

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Dimitrov wins the tiebreak.

One set all.

Murray will be kicking himself.

Off the bar
25-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Murray takes the third 6-3

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Murray goes two sets to one up after winning the third set 6-3.

Come on Andy!

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Dimitrov breaks at the start of the fourth set and leads 3-0.

easty
25-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Dmitrov looking really good just now.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Important hold by Murray there.

But Dimitrov will now serve for the set at 5-3.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Dimitrov fails to serve for the set and it's now back on serve.

Murray serving at 4-5.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2015, 12:10 PM
This been a great tennis match so far. I said early on it would be a war and I've not been disappointed.

Speedy
25-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Great comeback from Murray. About to erve for the match.

Line judges have been very poor (in comparison to normally impeccable standards).

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Murray breaks again and Dimitrov breaks his racket!

Murray now serving for the match at 6-5.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Murray wins 6-4 6-7 6-3 7-5.

Great match.

He'll play Nick Kyrgios in the quarter finals on Tuesday.

Tynie01011973
25-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Great comeback from Murray. About to erve for the match.

Line judges have been very poor (in comparison to normally impeccable standards).

Murray was raging at the Umpire when he never called the double bounce that Dimtrov failed to get to for the rest of the match.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Another good bit of scheduling for fans in Britain tomorrow as Murray plays his quarter final against Nick Kyrgios at just after 8am UK time.

I'll need to get up for that one. :aok:

Tomorrow's other men's quarter final between Tomas Berdych and Rafael Nadal will be on around 3:30am UK time.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Nadal out to Berdych in straight sets.

It's opening up quite nicely for Murray if he gets through today.

lyonhibs
27-01-2015, 08:00 AM
God damnit - everywhere I look I'm getting the old "not available in your country/region" message.

Here for updates it is then...

Hibee87
27-01-2015, 08:42 AM
God damnit - everywhere I look I'm getting the old "not available in your country/region" message.

Here for updates it is then...

Not even on wwwAusopen.com? The slam tracker on there Is great

lyonhibs
27-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Not even on wwwAusopen.com? The slam tracker on there Is great

Can get highlights, but not Live.

Clearly Australia and Switzerland aren't best of mates in cyberspace for whatever reason :boo hoo:

easty
27-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Can get highlights, but not Live.

Clearly Australia and Switzerland aren't best of mates in cyberspace for whatever reason :boo hoo:

I've sent you a link that'll work. I'm watching it at work now. :wink:

Hibee87
27-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Boom murray through to the semi to play berdych.....out of curiosity, should murray get to the final, or dare I say it, even win the thing what will that do to his ranking?

Pretty Boy
27-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Murray must fancy his chances now. He's playing really well and whilst not easy Berdych is beatable.

Djokovic obviously looms on the horizon should he win that match but I reckon he's be quietly confident the way he's playing.

PatHead
27-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Anyone know the head to head with Murray and Berdych?

Sir David Gray
27-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Good match for Murray this morning. Kyrgios was never really in the same league during that match although I think he does have a bright future.

Murray was very calm, composed and completely in control of everything that he wanted to do on the court.

Anyone know the head to head with Murray and Berdych?

Berdych leads it 6-4 and has won their last two meetings.

Their Grand Slam head to head is 1-1 but they have never played at the Australian Open before. Their only previous meeting in a semi final was at the 2012 US Open, which Murray won in four sets before going on to lift the title.

Could that be an omen?

Sir David Gray
27-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Boom murray through to the semi to play berdych.....out of curiosity, should murray get to the final, or dare I say it, even win the thing what will that do to his ranking?

It all depends on others around him and how they got on last year in comparison with this year.

If Murray wins the tournament, he'll gain 1640 points. That would potentially put him ahead of Wawrinka, Nishikori and Nadal and into third place in the rankings.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Another interesting thing to add to the mix for the semi final is the presence of Murray's long time friend and hitting partner Dani Vallverdu in the Berdych camp.

Vallverdu left the Murray team towards the end of last year and then hooked up with Berdych last month. In Murray's own words, there's probably no-one who knows his game better than Vallverdu, so Berdych should be well briefed on the tactical side.

On the flip side, Murray has also noted the many discussions that he used to have with Vallverdu regarding Berdych's strengths and weaknesses so maybe that could go in his favour.

I certainly think that gives Berdych a bit of an advantage but it's up to Murray to overcome it.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Really looking forward to both men's semi finals.

Obviously Murray v Berdych is on tomorrow and I've posted about that match already. I think that should be a great encounter and hopefully it's an entertaining match.

And on Friday, the other semi final sees Stan Wawrinka face Novak Djokovic for the third year in a row at the Australian Open. The previous two matches made for fantastic viewing and although Wawrinka's overall record against Djokovic is awful, he is the defending champion here at he's played two of the best matches of his life against Djokovic at the Australian Open.

I hope that both matches live up to their potential because if they do, I think we're in for a treat over the next two mornings.

Speedy
28-01-2015, 11:52 AM
It all depends on others around him and how they got on last year in comparison with this year.

If Murray wins the tournament, he'll gain 1640 points. That would potentially put him ahead of Wawrinka, Nishikori and Nadal and into third place in the rankings.

4th or 5th looking most likely.

Will be great for him to get back into the top 4 (particularly with the real top 3 in there as well).

Sir David Gray
28-01-2015, 12:17 PM
4th or 5th looking most likely.

Will be great for him to get back into the top 4 (particularly with the real top 3 in there as well).

If I've worked things out correctly, after the quarter final results, if Murray wins the tournament he'll definitely go third in the rankings.

I think. :greengrin

PatHead
28-01-2015, 03:47 PM
If Murray wins tournament he goes 3rd above Nadal but still 2900 behind Federer who is second

If Murray wins semi but loses final to Djokovic he goes 4th above Nikosuri by 310 points

If Murray loses semi he stays 5th if Djokovic wins but will be 6th if either Berdych or Wawrinka win the tournament.

According to this site anyway

http://live-tennis.eu/

The effort he put in at the end of last year seems to be paying off now.

Think I will work from home tomorrow morning. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-01-2015, 08:33 PM
If Murray wins tournament he goes 3rd above Nadal but still 2900 behind Federer who is second

If Murray wins semi but loses final to Djokovic he goes 4th above Nikosuri by 310 points

If Murray loses semi he stays 5th if Djokovic wins but will be 6th if either Berdych or Wawrinka win the tournament.

According to this site anyway

http://live-tennis.eu/

The effort he put in at the end of last year seems to be paying off now.

Think I will work from home tomorrow morning. :greengrin

Yep I would agree with all of the above.

The only way that he won't go above Wawrinka is if he loses to Berdych and Wawrinka defends his title.

It's amazing how far ahead Djokovic is at the moment. If he wins the tournament, I reckon he could easily go on holiday until the French Open, or even Wimbledon, and he would still be comfortably ahead of the rest.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Quite even so far, still on serve.

Murray's speed around the court is phenomenal.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Looks like I gave it the kiss of death.

Berdych breaks and is serving for the set.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Murray breaks straight back.

Murray to serve at 4-5.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 08:59 AM
First set goes to Berdych, 7-6.

Murray will be gutted at losing that set.

DarrenSQH
29-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Thats some second set from Murray. 6-0

1 Set all now.

Sylar
29-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Bagel! :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Second set goes to Murray, 6-0.

What a turnaround!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Bagel! :thumbsup:

Thats some second set from Murray. 6-0

1 Set all now.

Ahh i have some company at last!

Take it you two only turn up for the good times!? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Murray breaks to go 4-2 up in the third set.

Berdych broken after being 40-0 up!

Sylar
29-01-2015, 10:04 AM
You got me, I'm a glory hunter...should be obvious given I support Hibs :greengrin

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Third set Murray, 6-3.

Looks totally in control now.

DarrenSQH
29-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Ahh i have some company at last!

Take it you two only turn up for the good times!? :greengrin

This and the bbc live text is the only thing that can update me during mornings at work. The Aus open is at such a bad time im lucky to catch 2 Murray games on tv at all.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 10:48 AM
This and the bbc live text is the only thing that can update me during mornings at work. The Aus open is at such a bad time im lucky to catch 2 Murray games on tv at all.

Yep it's murder.

It should be illegal to hold any sporting events in Australia!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Big hold of serve a few minutes ago for Murray as Berdych had two break points in that game.

Off the bar
29-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Murray breaks! About to serve for the match!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Murray serving for the match. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Murray wins 6-7 6-0 6-3 7-5.

Excellent showing after losing the first set.

I think he can do this on Sunday. :agree:

Off the bar
29-01-2015, 11:08 AM
He powered away from him in the last few games there, he's looking very good!

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Great effort after that first set, get in there!

Sylar
29-01-2015, 11:22 AM
A Murray win and a Patriots win in the Superbowl would be a Super Sunday indeed :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
29-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Playing even better than when he won Wimbers!

Plus he gets a staggering 3 days to recover the body unlike the US Open where its semi final Saturday and final Sunday!!

5 sets please in the Wawrinka v Djokovic match :agree:

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Playing even better than when he won Wimbers!

Plus he gets a staggering 3 days to recover the body unlike the US Open where its semi final Saturday and final Sunday!!

5 sets please in the Wawrinka v Djokovic match :agree:

The US Open changed that a couple of years ago.

The final's been played on the Monday for the past two years and, although from this year the final's going back to the Sunday, the men's semi finals are being played on the Friday from now on so both finalists have a day in between the semi and the final.

The previous arrangements were ridiculous.

HibbyAndy
29-01-2015, 12:25 PM
The US Open changed that a couple of years ago.

The final's been played on the Monday for the past two years and, although from this year the final's going back to the Sunday, the men's semi finals are being played on the Friday from now on so both finalists have a day in between the semi and the final.

The previous arrangements were ridiculous.

:aok:

JimBHibees
29-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Thought Murray was fantastic and playing as well as ever. Absolutely bossed Berdych. Seemed a bit of needle between them. I know Berdych is now coached by one of Andy's mates however anyone any idea why there seemed to be an edge as previously thought they got on well.

woodythehibee
29-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Andy was superb today. Hopefully Novak and Stan's match goes all the way tomorrow. Fourth final at the Australian Open. Great achievement.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Thought Murray was fantastic and playing as well as ever. Absolutely bossed Berdych. Seemed a bit of needle between them. I know Berdych is now coached by one of Andy's mates however anyone any idea why there seemed to be an edge as previously thought they got on well.

I don't think it's anything too serious to be honest. I know there was a bit of tension near the start of the match today but I think that was mainly down to how intense that first set was.

Murray played down any serious issues during his interview after the match.

heretoday
29-01-2015, 07:45 PM
I liked Kim Sears "I'm not just a nicely brought up Home Counties gel" act during the match. Classic.

She's a smasher.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 08:28 PM
I liked Kim Sears "I'm not just a nicely brought up Home Counties gel" act during the match. Classic.

She's a smasher.

I missed this at the time but I've seen the clip since and it was a corker!

Seems like there's a bit of a trend developing with the tennis WAGs trash talking their man's opponent!

First Mirka and now Kim! :greengrin

Sylar
30-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Djokovic 1 set up on Wawrinka in what's a very close contest.

2-2 in the second.

Sylar
30-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Wawrinka breaks him in the second, leads 5-2!

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Just like yesterday, the first set is decided by a tiebreak and it goes in favour of Djokovic after he recovers from a break down.

Wawrinka is about to serve for the second set though at 5-3.

I've seen it all before but what a backhand Wawrinka has!

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Second set goes to Wawrinka, 6-3.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Third set goes to Djokovic, 6-4.

Sylar
30-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Where have you been?!

Pffft, part-timer :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Where have you been?!

Pffft, part-timer :greengrin

:greengrin

Fourth set Wawrinka, 6-4.

So many twists and turns in this one. Djokovic was a break up in that set.

lyonhibs
30-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Murray vs Djokovic it is then.

If both bring their A games and are in the right fram of mind, that'll be an epic, probably with Murray playing the role of "plucky loser" as Djokovic on fire is incredible on hard courts.

Hopefully not though, and Murray takes his chances and keeps the unforced errors to a minimum and he can add the Australian Open to his trophy cabinet.

PatHead
30-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Looks like a nice full cooked breakfast on Sunday whilst watching the tennis. Am I right it is 9.30am?

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Murray vs Djokovic it is then.

If both bring their A games and are in the right fram of mind, that'll be an epic, probably with Murray playing the role of "plucky loser" as Djokovic on fire is incredible on hard courts.

Hopefully not though, and Murray takes his chances and keeps the unforced errors to a minimum and he can add the Australian Open to his trophy cabinet.

I'm tipping Murray on Sunday. I think he was a lot more convincing yesterday than Djokovic was today and I don't think Murray will let him off the hook like Wawrinka did, if he happens to have the same number of dips in his performance.

I was very impressed by Murray yesterday and also against Dimitrov, which were his two big tests in getting to the final and I think he'll add Grand Slam number three to his list of titles.

Looks like a nice full cooked breakfast on Sunday whilst watching the tennis. Am I right it is 9.30am?

8:30am start.

PatHead
30-01-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm tipping Murray on Sunday. I think he was a lot more convincing yesterday than Djokovic was today and I don't think Murray will let him off the hook like Wawrinka did, if he happens to have the same number of dips in his performance.

I was very impressed by Murray yesterday and also against Dimitrov, which were his two big tests in getting to the final and I think he'll add Grand Slam number three to his list of titles.

8:30am start.

Ta, might have missed the first set!

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Also, good luck goes to Katie Swan who is in the girls singles final at just 15 years old.

She plays in the early hours of tomorrow morning against Tereza Mihalikova of Slovakia.

All the best to her.

Also a well done to Jordanne Whiley and her partner who have defended their women's wheelchair doubles title and have now won five Grand Slam titles in a row together after completing a clean sweep in 2014.

Excellent achievement.

Here's hoping Katie Swan and Andy Murray can make it three in a row over the weekend.

heretoday
31-01-2015, 08:26 AM
They've got two teams of helpers out on court with towels mopping up the rain that's come through the roof gap. The women's final is suspended meanwhile. It's a bit farcical!

The BBC even have slow-mos of the towels moving from side to side.................

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 08:35 AM
They've got two teams of helpers out on court with towels mopping up the rain that's come through the roof gap. The women's final is suspended meanwhile. It's a bit farcical!

The BBC even have slow-mos of the towels moving from side to side.................

It was always going to start as an outdoor match, if possible, but the rain was pretty heavy so they had to bring the players off while they closed the roof.

Serena won six points in a row at the resumption of the match and went two breaks up at 5-2. She failed to serve for the set though as Sharapova broke.

However Serena's broken again to win the first set 6-3.

Looks ominous for Sharapova now as her head to head record against Serena is one of the worst in tennis.

She's failed to beat her in 15 attempts, stretching back over 10 years!

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Bad luck to Katie Swan earlier as she lost the girls final 6-1 6-4.

Hopefully she'll have a good future ahead of her.

heretoday
31-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Well done Williams. Not a bad match.

I can't help thinking though that the women are most vulnerable when they're serving!

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Decent match considering it was straight sets.

Serena now moves clear of Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert into second place in the all time women's Grand Slam titles list with her 19th Major success.

She's now just three behind Steffi Graf who holds the record of 22.

Serena may be 34 later this year but I wouldn't put it past her to beat that.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Great Sunday planned.

Up early to watch Murray, head to Museelburgh for the nags, roast dinner and a nap, MOTD2 then superbowl to see the day home.

silverhibee
31-01-2015, 10:45 PM
What station is tennis on and what time folks. Ta Silver. :aok:

Sergey
31-01-2015, 10:51 PM
What station is tennis on and what time folks. Ta Silver. :aok:

It's live on BBC 1 from 8:00 am - match starts at 8:30

My alarm is about to be set...and bacon butties and fresh grapefruit for breakfast for the Sergey household :aok:

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 10:58 PM
It's live on BBC 1 from 8:00 am - match starts at 8:30

My alarm is about to be set...and bacon butties and fresh grapefruit for breakfast for the Sergey household :aok:

You also have the choice of switching over to Eurosport, if you have Sky or Virgin etc and Andrew Castle doesn't do it for you.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Murray throws away 3 break points from 0-40 up in the third game. Disappointed will be an understatement.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Big game for Djokovic to win there from 0-40.

Disappointment for Murray.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:03 AM
First blood to Djokovic.

3-1.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Djokovic is getting to absolutely everything and hitting some tremendous shots here.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 08:08 AM
This could be a quick morning if Djokovic keeps this form up! 4-1.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Murray breaks back.

3-4.

God Petrie
01-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Go on yerself muzz

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Djokovic breaks again.

Serving for the first set at 5-3.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Murray breaks back again!

4-5.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 08:35 AM
I really dislike the frequency with which Djokovic uses his trainer...

Balls of steel from Murray so far to twice come back from a break down!

lord bunberry
01-02-2015, 08:35 AM
They will be out on their feet if this continues

Sylar
01-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Murray serving to take the first set to a tiebreak!

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
What a start.

Breaks all over the place.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:54 AM
I really dislike the frequency with which Djokovic uses his trainer...

Balls of steel from Murray so far to twice come back from a break down!

I think that one was genuine to be honest.

You saw the mark on his thumb where he obviously fell on during the previous game.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Djokovic wins the first set 7-6.

Massive set to win.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Sair yin that for Murray, set was there for the taking. Double fault at 4-2 in the tie-break was a shocker.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm going to throw it out there and say this could be one of the great finals.

It's been brilliant to watch so far.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Djokovic looks in a right state here! His balance looked gone there.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Murray breaks early in the second set.

2-0.

Djokovic looks like he's hurt his ankle.

hibbymick
01-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Djokovic looks in a right state here!

Every game ive watched Djok in he has some ailment or other, never seems to stop him winning though.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Every game ive watched Djok in he has some ailment or other, never seems to stop him winning though.

Was just about to say similar.

Every big match I see Djokovic in he seems to spend a period limping, grimacing and slumping. He always seems to get it together though.

hibbymick
01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Was just about to say similar.

Every big match I see Djokovic in he seems to spend a period limping, grimacing and slumping. He always seems to get it together though.

And suddenly that limp disappears :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Djokovic breaks back.

1-2.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 09:11 AM
**** - seems my Sky via my Xbox is behind then - it's just gone 40-30 Djokovic for me! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Although I think the thumb injury was genuine, Djokovic has been like that since he first broke through 8 or 9 years ago.

Throughout a lot of his matches, he's often making out that there's something up with him before he then forgets about it and starts playing well again.

Don't think Murray will be affected at all.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:16 AM
**** - seems my Sky via my Xbox is behind then - it's just gone 40-30 Djokovic for me! :greengrin

Are you watching through Sky Go then?

If so, there is a delay in transmission between Sky Go and the normal TV coverage.

hibbymick
01-02-2015, 09:17 AM

If so, there is a delay in transmission between Sky Go and the normal TV coverage.

Murrays just won Wimbledon on Sky Go :greengrin

Sylar
01-02-2015, 09:19 AM

I didn't realise the BBC were covering it when I turned this on in all honesty as I've watched all of it on Eurosport thus far :greengrin

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Three games in a row now for Djokovic.

Set and a break up.

Signs aren't great right now for Murray.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Murray struggling now, pressure on him. Djoka's limp long gone.

matty_f
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Djokovic is a machine - I think if he wins this set it's game over for Murray, can't see him taking three sets in a row.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Uh oh.

All a bit one paced from Murray which is playing into Djokovics hands now he has momentum.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Security alert in the stadium leads to several security guards surrounding both players and a banner being unfurled.

Several people being ejected/arrested.

Hope that doesn't spoil the match.

#FromTheCapital
01-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Murray breaks back, come on Andy hold your serve next game!

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 09:37 AM
It doesn't seem to have upset Murray.

He breaks back again.

4-4.

#FromTheCapital
01-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Murray holds to make it 5-4. Break here to take the second set

matty_f
Excellent from Murray there.

Twiglet
Security alert in the stadium leads to several security guards surrounding both players and a banner being unfurled.

Several people being ejected/arrested.

Hope that doesn't spoil the match.

Do you know what it said? Missed it all.

matty_f
01-02-2015, 09:41 AM

"Hello Mum" :greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 09:42 AM
I wonder if that break in play was what Murray needed as it maybe broke Djokovics head of steam.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 09:43 AM
"Australia Open to Refugees" or something to that effect.

Great break/hold from Murray.

#FromTheCapital
01-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Djokovic comes back from set point to hold , 5-5.

Great game of tennis

PatHead
01-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Murray has had him on the ropes so often but just can't get the break. Great tennis again.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Murray's going to regret not being more clinical. He's pissing away far too many chances to get in front.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Murray's going to regret not being more clinical. He's pissing away far too many chances to get in front.

Just like Hibs yesterday?

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Just like Hibs yesterday?

Even more so!

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:03 AM
What a game that was.

Some wonderful points played by both players.

Great game for Murray to win.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Knackered watching this. God knows how fit these guys are, total professionals

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:07 AM

As someone else said, it was a protest about Australia's treatment of refugees.

All a bit unnecessary at a sports event.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 10:08 AM
The margins are just so tight. Murray could have won 1st set. Lets hope he gets the break this time

J-C
01-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I love watching the tennis when the top guys go aginst each other but Murray frustrates the hell out of me, he can at times be absolutely brilliant then out of nowhere he plays some really poor shots to lose either games or tie breaks.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Murray wins the second set 7-6.

:thumbsup:

Off the bar
01-02-2015, 10:16 AM

Nice! Following the text updates on the BBC, but refreshing .net on crucial points as the score comes through quicker here! So big thanks for the prompt updates!

Pete
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Nice! Following the text updates on the BBC, but refreshing .net on crucial points as the score comes through quicker here! So big thanks for the prompt updates!

Same here. Keep the scores coming lads.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 10:18 AM
He probably heard me screaming 'idiot!' at the TV when he missed that open court shot at 6-3!

Excellent response to losing the first.

These guys make me realise just how unfit I am :greengrin

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Finally! :thumbsup:

Djokovic compaining a lot in that set. Not as easy as he thought it would be?

BroxburnHibee
01-02-2015, 10:19 AM
This is unbelievably good. Top 2 players at the height of their game.

Awesome

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Two and a half hours and only 2 sets played. The quality is great. Murray can do this if he plays as aggressively as he did for the latter part of the 2nd set.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Andy breaks! First game, 3rd set. Got to hold his serve now.

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Murray has broken serve in the third, 0-1.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Murray breaks at start of 3rd set. Djoka drama queen limp again.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Great hold Murray with momentum now.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Murray backs up the break by holding his own serve.

2-0 third set.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Holds serve to love.

Pete
01-02-2015, 10:27 AM
****ing have that you ****ing ****!

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
"Australia Open to Refugees" or something to that effect.

I wonder if the compliance officer will take action? :-)

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Slack game from Murray as Djokovic breaks back.

2-2.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Lots of mistakes from Murray in his next service game and is broken.

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2015, 10:50 AM
there's something i just don't like about murray

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Another slack game from Murray and he's getting rattled now.

Djokovic breaks and will serve for the third set.

5-3.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Gahhhh! Djokovic breaks. Terrible service game from Murray. Double fault to lose it.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Bugger

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Djokovic wins the third set 6-3.

Murray will find it difficult to win now.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 10:55 AM
If Murray loses this he only has himself to blame.

Great chance there and a wee dip cost him big time.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 10:55 AM
If only he could have taken that break point in the middle of the set it could have been so different.

Is that 6 games in a row to Djoka?

Sylar
01-02-2015, 10:56 AM
He's making FAR too many stupid, unforced mistakes especially on his forehand.

No wonder he's frustrated at himself - every single one of us watching are just as frustrated!

Pete
01-02-2015, 10:57 AM
there's something i just don't like about murray

Racist.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
So many easy balls into the net! So frustrating to watch. Keep shouting at the TV that they're not changing the height of the net.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Djokovic breaks in the first game of the fourth set.

Murray's gone, folks.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 11:00 AM
So many easy balls into the net! So frustrating to watch. Keep shouting at the TV that they're not changing the height of the net.
:agree:

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 11:00 AM
As I was JUST saying...
Was broken after hitting 3 balls into the net in 1 service game.

J-C
01-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Match is gone now by the looks of it, Djorkovic just looks the stronger mentally, all too frustrating to watch.

BroxburnHibee
Heads gone

PatHead
As I was JUST saying...
Was broken after hitting 3 balls into the net in 1 service game.

and all straight forehands. Murray is losing this as much as Djoka winning it

Sylar
01-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Part 1 of a miserable sporting Sunday looks like it's on course :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
01-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Think this might well be over sadly.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Murray's forehand is totally gone now

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Double break for Djokovic.

3-0.

This could be over quite soon.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Djokovic double break. :rolleyes: Andy again not serving well. More and more poor shots into the net. If he actually got those easy balls over the net he'd be the one 2-1 up.

Sylar
01-02-2015, 11:10 AM
So utterly frustrating Murray.

#FromTheCapital
01-02-2015, 11:10 AM
The writings on the wall, was looking good at one point in the last set but it's been all downhill from there. Will take one hell of a comeback to turn it around now.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Djokovic's mental and physical strength is quite unbelievable.

Murray's good but Djokovic is on a completely different level when he really puts his mind to it.

#FromTheCapital
01-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Murray looks like he's given up.

Sergey
01-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Murray looks like he's given up.

I think he looks more like a player who knows he's beaten.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Triple break now.

5-0 Djokovic.

It would be a real pity if it finishes 6-0.

Twiglet
01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Djokovic's mental and physical strength is quite unbelievable.

Murray's good but Djokovic is on a completely different level when he really puts his mind to it.

Remarkable recovery from his "injured" ankle. Total unpsorting behaviour from Djokovic in a grandslam final. He is strong, but to play mind games like that in a slam final he loses the little respect I had for him up to now.

silverhibee
01-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I think he looks more like a player who knows he's beaten.

:agree:

He has tried everything but nothing happening for him, he sometimes reminds me of Hibs. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Djokovic wins 7-6 6-7 6-3 6-0.

First two sets were incredible. It's a pity about the last set and a half because Murray really didn't show up after that.

Well done to Djokovic, fifth Australian Open title. Totally deserved.

#FromTheCapital
01-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Major anti-climax after an exciting start to the match. Well done to Novak Djokovic though.

heretoday
01-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Well done Novak. That was a roller coaster of a match but at the end it was the same old story of Andy with the head down feeling bad about himself.

He was in great positions several times only to mess up by poor serving or careless shots.

He still needs to take a leaf out of Borg's book and quit being a slave to his emotions.

PatHead
01-02-2015, 11:40 AM
It all came to that dropped shot on break point in the 3rd set. Murray never got back again.

If you compare where he is compared to a year ago he is getting back.

Well done Novak

Pete
01-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Booooo!

Pete
01-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Did the Murray fans leave early?

PatHead
01-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Wonder what Kim said at the end?

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-02-2015, 11:43 AM
As good as Murray is, until he sorts out his 2nd serve he won't quite achieve the records that Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have.

Biggie
01-02-2015, 12:03 PM
He's fit enough.....it's his head that's the problem.....at that level, players need to control the demons in their head.
The top 3 can control their emotions...Murray lets it get to him, and boom the match is gone.

It really is a roller coaster watching Murray........and not impressed with Djokovic and his aches and pains antics.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't know why anyone seems surprised at Djokovic making out that he's injured etc before turning it on a few minutes later.

As I said earlier, he's been doing it since he was a youngster. I don't think it really affected Murray to be honest, I just think he was mentally weak at the most important times in the third set. When Djokovic broke early in the fourth set, it was really all over.

Scottie
01-02-2015, 12:54 PM
As good as Murray is, until he sorts out his 2nd serve he won't quite achieve the records that Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have.
It's his mind he needs to sort out.

A shrink is what he needs as all the negative energy he has during his games are costing him. He's as good as the top 3 or 4 in ability and talent but it's a mental thing that's hurting him. It's a Scottish thing. :rolleyes:

heretoday
01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't know why anyone seems surprised at Djokovic making out that he's injured etc before turning it on a few minutes later.

As I said earlier, he's been doing it since he was a youngster. I don't think it really affected Murray to be honest, I just think he was mentally weak at the most important times in the third set. When Djokovic broke early in the fourth set, it was really all over.

I didn't know Novak did that and it's disappointing. Presumably all the other players are aware of this behaviour.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 01:28 PM
I didn't know Novak did that and it's disappointing. Presumably all the other players are aware of this behaviour.

I would have thought so.

As I said, he's been doing it during matches pretty much ever since he started playing professionally.

He doesn't always call injury timeouts. Sometimes it will just be little things like shaking his leg or doing some stretches which makes it look like he's struggling with a niggle somewhere and then a few minutes later, he's back making shots that you wouldn't believe.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Quite surprised to read that Murray's admitting that he was affected by Djokovic's injuries and stumbles during the match today.

It's a bit of a concern as well to be honest as you must not be focused enough on your own job if you're worrying about your opponent and what he's doing.

He needs to try and get a hold of that side of his mind, if he's going to beat guys like Djokovic and win Grand Slams again.

I see the experts aren't being too kind to him as well with John Lloyd and Pat Cash sticking the boot in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/31082925

It's to be expected. Losing 12 out of a possible 13 games is horrendous at any level of the sport, particularly when you've got momentum at the time as well.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 06:10 PM
You wonder how Lloyd can claim to be an expert on the mental side in slam finals? How many did he make and win?

Same for Cash to a degree - did he win more than 1?

Sir David Gray
01-02-2015, 06:18 PM
You wonder how Lloyd can claim to be an expert on the mental side in slam finals? How many did he make and win?

Same for Cash to a degree - did he win more than 1?

Lloyd got to one Grand Slam final, which was the Australian Open in 1977.

Cash only won one Grand Slam (Wimbledon 1987) and got to two Australian Open finals in 1987 and 1988.

I agree with your comment, Murray has more talent in his little finger than either of them put together. However, I think they're right on this occasion.

Murray needs to regroup and start focusing a lot more instead of having these periods where he's constantly shouting, swearing and gesturing up at his team. It's something which was largely unheard of during his partnership with Lendl and it's disappointing to see its reappearance today.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Lloyd got to one Grand Slam final, which was the Australian Open in 1977.

Cash only won one Grand Slam (Wimbledon 1987) and got to two Australian Open finals in 1987 and 1988.

I agree with your comment, Murray has more talent in his little finger than either of them put together. However, I think they're right on this occasion.

Murray needs to regroup and start focusing a lot more instead of having these periods where he's constantly shouting, swearing and gesturing up at his team. It's something which was largely unheard of during his partnership with Lendl and it's disappointing to see its reappearance today.

Yeah it doesn't seem to do him any favours.

lord bunberry
02-02-2015, 02:03 PM
I wonder if he watches the games back? If he does he should be embarrassed by what he's watching he completely imploded and it seems the problem is in his head.

Sir David Gray
02-02-2015, 06:48 PM
I wonder if he watches the games back? If he does he should be embarrassed by what he's watching he completely imploded and it seems the problem is in his head.

I would hope that Mauresmo and the rest of the team will give him this feedback over the next couple of days. He needs to try and get this out of his system.

He managed it before, whilst he was with Lendl, so he's capable of doing it. I just hope he is able to get it together again because his game will suffer if he doesn't.