PDA

View Full Version : Meadowbank

greenlex
14-01-2015, 05:33 PM
40 odd million Council plans to refurbish Meadiwbank. Does this now extinguish any notion that they could step in and build a new facility in the west of the city to essentially help the Yams?

Haymaker
14-01-2015, 05:34 PM
The Yams will probably move there!

Billy Whizz
14-01-2015, 05:46 PM
The Yams will probably move there!

They'll have to play 2nd fiddle to Edinburgh City

Famous Fiver
14-01-2015, 05:48 PM
It's all a cunning ploy.

The Council will announce that after careful due diligence the only viable solution is to sell Meadowbank and put the cash raised to a new site.

Where? On the west side of the city no less, and guess who the tenant will be?

Mark my words.

Haymaker
14-01-2015, 05:51 PM
They'll have to play 2nd fiddle to Edinburgh City

And so they should!

NAE NOOKIE
14-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Hibs should immediately approach the council and get an assurance that the Gorgie unwashed will not be decanted to a publicly funded stadium a bye kick from ER.

40 million quid is a lot of money for a council who are talking about laying off 1,500 staff. Especially for a stadium where crowd drawing athletics events were rarely held even when it was up to code and only hosts an amateur football team. Of course if you could have a tenant in place paying say £250,000 per annum it would be a bit easier to justify spending the money.

If this gets the go ahead and anybody mentions a capacity over 17,000 get ready to go to war.

If it is a ploy to eventually build an athletics stadium in the west then I say bring it on, I would love to hear the Yams bum about their unique atmosphere with an 8 lane running track round their pitch

dchibs
14-01-2015, 06:04 PM
40 odd million Council plans to refurbish Meadiwbank. Does this now extinguish any notion that they could step in and build a new facility in the west of the city to essentially help the Yams?
And here was me thinking that David Murry was building them a stadium LOL.

bingo70
14-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Is there a link to the story about meadowbank being refurbished? Couldn't find anything online but I'm probably being a mong.

Golden Bear
14-01-2015, 06:34 PM
And here was me thinking that David Murry was building them a stadium LOL.

Coincidence or not that the Meadowbank announcement was made on the same day that news broke concerning David Murray's current financial "difficulties?" Conspirency theories abound!

Beefster
14-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Is there a link to the story about meadowbank being refurbished? Couldn't find anything online but I'm probably being a mong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30812059

Disc O'Dave
14-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I too worry it's all a bit of a sham - lots of references towards the "potential £20 million funding gap" and "these financially tight times" already.....cue the "we did try to modernise, but couldn't find the cash"

Then a little while later a brand new shiny facility is planned for the west of the city that is somehow "better value for Edinburgh" despite costing 3 times as much....

Cynical, moi?

bingo70
14-01-2015, 07:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30812059

Cheers.

Meadowbank is an essential facility fir this side of town, as long as they're replacing it with something equivalent or better I'm all for it. There's so much wasted land there it makes sense to rip it up and start again.

Hibeesforever
14-01-2015, 08:56 PM
I am on to this because unfortunately all of the conspiracy theories are true about thd West of Edinburgh.
The second road bridge will see a HUGE amount of green belt given over to development. This is to refinance Sir David Murray's loss making enterprise and refloat the coffers of Edinburgh City Council.
My plan is to encourage the Tram to go down to Meadowbank......and by default Easter Road!
When a country can find 30,000 million in a day to underwrite a bank, 20 million should be nothing.
Heart of Midlothian will never get a penny from Edinburgh City Council.....Hilarious stuff, if it wasn't so serious!
Now is ths time to lobby...imagine if Mick Stewart was an MSP for the West of Edinburgh.....Hearts fans would be delighted.

lucky
15-01-2015, 05:41 AM
One of the candidates to be the fans rep is a CoE councillors maybe could answer this

lord bunberry
15-01-2015, 06:02 AM
I am on to this because unfortunately all of the conspiracy theories are true about thd West of Edinburgh.
The second road bridge will see a HUGE amount of green belt given over to development. This is to refinance Sir David Murray's loss making enterprise and refloat the coffers of Edinburgh City Council.
My plan is to encourage the Tram to go down to Meadowbank......and by default Easter Road!
When a country can find 30,000 million in a day to underwrite a bank, 20 million should be nothing.
Heart of Midlothian will never get a penny from Edinburgh City Council.....Hilarious stuff, if it wasn't so serious!
Now is ths time to lobby...imagine if Mick Stewart was an MSP for the West of Edinburgh.....Hearts fans would be delighted.

Do us all a favour and forget any ideas of extending the tram. The last episode was enough to last us a lifetime

Pete
15-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Do us all a favour and forget any ideas of extending the tram. The last episode was enough to last us a lifetime

Disagree bud. It should definitely be going down leith walk and extended as far as the original plans were made for.

Not sure about trams going past meadowbank though.:confused:

GordonHFC
15-01-2015, 06:51 AM

From the plans I have seen for the new St James centre it looks like it will be extended about 100yds to the top of London Road. What is that all about?

lord bunberry
15-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Disagree bud. It should definitely be going down leith walk and extended as far as the original plans were made for.

I'm not fussed about Leith as most of the work has already been done

Steve-O
15-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Is any part of the actual stadium at Meadowbank used for anything other than Edinburgh City games and a fireworks display?

They'd be better off demolishing the whole lot and building something like the Hydro in Glasgow. Surely would bring in a lot more money than currently.

Weststandwanab
15-01-2015, 08:31 AM
One of the candidates to be the fans rep is a CoE councillors maybe could answer this

Do you think so ?

I had a look at their presentation for the proposed Pilot Scheme to restrict access to vehicles around schools.

A disaster waiting to happen.

It would be easier moving "Meadowbank" to a gap site next to the single Tram line probably somewhere near Gorgie !

Oscar T Grouch
15-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Is any part of the actual stadium at Meadowbank used for anything other than Edinburgh City games and a fireworks display?

They'd be better off demolishing the whole lot and building something like the Hydro in Glasgow. Surely would bring in a lot more money than currently.

Meadowbank is used a lot, there is athletics club based there, Edinburgh City play there, that is winter and summer accounted for, there are still occasional concerts, fireworks etc. Remember its not just the stadium, there are pitches, badminton courts, climbing walls. Lots of clubs work out of Meadowbank, it is an essential facility in the East of Edinburgh and it must be retained and upgraded.

lord bunberry
15-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Meadowbank is used a lot, there is athletics club based there, Edinburgh City play there, that is winter and summer accounted for, there are still occasional concerts, fireworks etc. Remember its not just the stadium, there are pitches, badminton courts, climbing walls. Lots of clubs work out of Meadowbank, it is an essential facility in the East of Edinburgh and it must be retained and upgraded.
I play squash there

Brightside
15-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Used every day for athletics. Same level of use as any other athletics stadium - the football is an added bonus. obv the internal rooms are used constantly. Its a good facililty that needs a refresh.
They cant demolish it though as obv plenty money has been spent on recent pitches etc.

derekHFC
15-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Most of the current site is being demolished and a new centre being built on the current footprint.

Land to the east of the building is being sold off for housing.

Brightside
15-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Most of the current site is being demolished and a new centre being built on the current footprint.

Land to the east of the building is being sold off for housing.

is the plan online? land tio the easy? i assume the veladrome and further on? They are surely not going to rip up the astro pitches?

Barney McGrew
15-01-2015, 09:59 AM

500,000 users last year so it must be doing OK :wink:

As someone who's had first hand experience of the facilities that are now available in the west of Scotland - and not just because of the Commonwealth Games I'd add - it's a travesty that Edinburgh Council have let Meadowbank get so run down in the first place.

EdinMike
15-01-2015, 10:23 AM
As the report says, If the plans were to be approved and Meadowbank did get another 50 years of use from the redevelopment.

Then surely that is worth the cost ?!

southfieldhibby
15-01-2015, 10:29 AM
They cant demolish it though as obv plenty money has been spent on recent pitches etc.

Funded thru proceeds of crime money, hence the joint usage with Leith Athletic.

LancashireHibby
15-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Isn't the theory to build a small athletics stadium (sure I read 500 seat?) to cover for the existing athletics usage, and then a neighbouring 7,000 capacity 'rectangular' stadium that would accomodate Edinburgh City and Edinburgh Rugby? The Yams can move there for a 7,000 ground with all my blessing :wink:

Brightside
15-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Funded thru proceeds of crime money, hence the joint usage with Leith Athletic.

I did wonder why Leith got the usage of it. I hope thats paid for as other "more local" teams have to pay to use them.

Turkish Green
15-01-2015, 10:57 AM
As has been well documented it costs less per m2 to build a brand new stadium that to refurbish a run down existing one. The council has all but the funding to build a new stadium at Sighthill. What is the betting that there will be a sudden rethink, Meadowbank will be sold off and the money saved / made diverted to the Sighthill project.

Combine that with the sale of the PBS and they have themselves a winner.

Waxy
15-01-2015, 11:24 AM
If the yams dont move soon there'll be no space left for them.

MrSmith
15-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Given there is a £67m deficit in their budget, no refurb nor new West of city stadium should be considered - peoples jobs first!

JIm
15-01-2015, 12:00 PM
I did wonder why Leith got the usage of it. I hope thats paid for as other "more local" teams have to pay to use them.

Of course Leith Athletic pay for it...........seems a strange question?

From what i remember at the time clubs were invited to apply for the priority usage of the new pitch. Members of Edinburgh Leisure, Council & Scottish FA looked at bidding applications and awarded a percentage of the lets to Leith Athletic with other lets kept back for recreational usage etc

Looking at what provision/facilities already exist within the are already and the size of the club it does seem to be a fairly sensible decision IMO.