PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wilson

Future17
13-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I see Mark Wilson has been released from his contract with Dundee United.

Any thoughts on a deal til the end of the season as cover for Gray?

H18S NX
13-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Why not

Viva_Palmeiras
13-01-2015, 11:58 AM
This is the boy that was disciplined by Utd iirc...

ahibby
13-01-2015, 12:02 PM

For going out the night before a development game. There might come a time in your career when a development game seems like a kick about in the park. I'm not saying that it is the right attitude and in fact if you care about your club and the players being developed then you would be fully professional. However, if you don't really care that much and see your future in the media then I guess you might not care. As long as he is professional to the fullest when in a with a shout of first team football then that'll do me. I don't expect him to bring on Hibs youngsters, just play to win and have pride in his performance. I remember Mark Venus playing in at least one development game, no where near fit but still scored from about twenty five yards from a free kick. Russell Latapy going out the night before league games or cup final anyone?

patlowe
13-01-2015, 12:13 PM
You'd have to think that he could do a job at our level on a short term basis but I'm concerned that at 29/30 he has really struggled to get into the Dundee Utd side, given his experience at Celtic and in the Champions League. Has he had injury problems?

Billychaotic182
13-01-2015, 12:14 PM

Jeezo he went out for a meal with his wife the night before a bounce game. Hardly a sin is it

Winston Ingram
13-01-2015, 12:22 PM
For going out the night before a development game. There might come a time in your career when a development game seems like a kick about in the park. I'm not saying that it is the right attitude and in fact if you care about your club and the players being developed then you would be fully professional. However, if you don't really care that much and see your future in the media then I guess you might not care. As long as he is professional to the fullest when in a with a shout of first team football then that'll do me. I don't expect him to bring on Hibs youngsters, just play to win and have pride in his performance. I remember Mark Venus playing in at least one development game, no where near fit but still scored from about twenty five yards from a free kick. Russell Latapy going out the night before league games or cup final anyone?

IIRC Latapy went out the night before a Derby with Dwight Yorke

Smartie
13-01-2015, 12:25 PM
He's never struck me as the ill-disciplined type off the field.

I wouldn't be too swayed by one very minor indiscretion.

Compared to some of the drugs, booze, George Street, betting and paedophilia scandals that have afflicted some in Scottish football's recent murky past anyway.

Wilson
13-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Jeezo he went out for a meal with his wife the night before a bounce game. Hardly a sin is it

Poor sod. His wife for god's sake. If you are going to the trouble of breaking club's rules you could at least be getting caught out with a bit on the side...

Long suffering
13-01-2015, 01:07 PM
seems like we might be interested...

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-united/mark-wilson-leaving-dundee-united-1.784822

Stevie Reid
13-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Would be an absolutely ideal signing if he can stay fit - that is a very big if however, as he has had numerous injury problems over the years.

But on paper, he would be perfect back up/competition for David Gray.

JimBHibees
13-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Would be an absolutely ideal signing if he can stay fit - that is a very big if however, as he has had numerous injury problems over the years.

But on paper, he would be perfect back up/competition for David Gray.

Agree including the bit about injury. Pretty sure he can cover other positions also such as left back/centre back or sitting midfielder if needed.

number9dream
13-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Had injury issues at Celtic but that's a while ago now. Only 30 and has good experience, although I'm not sure he can play anywhere other than full-back.
Not played a first team game this season so might not be up to match fitness.
Definitely not the troublemaker type. Level headed bright guy. I'm sure I read he was doing a history degree at St Andrews Uni...

(Open University course for Wilson - Stuart Armstrong is doing a law degree)

Hibeewilly
13-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Pay per play would seem the answer

Wilson
13-01-2015, 02:46 PM

Aye, if the question was what kind of an offer would see us outbid by another team...

Centre Hawf
13-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Would be happy if we signed him. He would be good experience to have around what is quite a young side. Also like most folk say having him as cover for Gray would be decent as Booth definitely doesn't look like the answer to cover that position.

HFC 0-7
13-01-2015, 02:55 PM

this sort of thing encourages a player to say they are fit when they might not be. Players would never sign that sort of deal anyway as they need guaranteed income, the sort of wages we offer would mean a player couldnt pay bills if they are out for a couple of months with injury.

TheFamous1875
13-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Would be happy if we signed him. He would be good experience to have around what is quite a young side. Also like most folk say having him as cover for Gray would be decent as Booth definitely doesn't look like the answer to cover that position.

Agreed, although the only thing that concerns me is that I don't think Wilson would be capable of giving us that all-encompassing, up-and-down-the-flank athleticism that Gray consistently offers. Stubbs has said before that Gray is the 'benchmark' for what Hibs will be recruiting as a right-back and I don't think Wilson is capable of that.

I would like him on board though, as I'm sure he can play at centre half, left back and in the middle of the park, so He could prove to be very useful depending on the system, etc. He has a decent pedigree from his time at Celtic and I'm sure he's more than capable of making a decent contribution to our squad at this level (although I do think our current system relies on that non-stop athleticism that Gray and Stevenson offer in order to work properly.)

silverhibee
13-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Has a player ever signed a deal like this.

PeterboroHibee
13-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Agreed, although the only thing that concerns me is that I don't think Wilson would be capable of giving us that all-encompassing, up-and-down-the-flank athleticism that Gray consistently offers. Stubbs has said before that Gray is the 'benchmark' for what Hibs will be recruiting as a right-back and I don't think Wilson is capable of that.

I would like him on board though, as I'm sure he can play at centre half, left back and in the middle of the park, so He could prove to be very useful depending on the system, etc. He has a decent pedigree from his time at Celtic and I'm sure he's more than capable of making a decent contribution to our squad at this level (although I do think our current system relies on that non-stop athleticism that Gray and Stevenson offer in order to work properly.)

Its hugely important for the team, and why I think signing Wilson is a waste of time. He may provide short term cover in the right position (as opposed to shifting Booth there), but hes rarely played recently, has struggled a bit with injuries, and according to United fans, is very slow.

ekhibee
13-01-2015, 03:20 PM
I think Wilson would be quite a good signing, depending on what position he was playing. He certainly does play in the full back position and I'm sure he played as a centre half for Celtic in a few games (although I'm not sure that's his natural position).

AlbertK86
13-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Definitely played central defence mainly as a sweeper both first time round at United and at Celtic albeit his natural position is right full back

Also played left back on a number of occasions

If fit would be ideal cover until Gray returns

ancient hibee
13-01-2015, 05:17 PM

George Best?

lord bunberry
13-01-2015, 05:22 PM
George Best?

But he was pissed at the time

Pedantic_Hibee
13-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Aye, if the question was what kind of an offer would see us outbid by another team...

This thread. Your username. I demand answers.......

hibbymark
13-01-2015, 05:31 PM
I think we'd need to free up a wage ( heff ) before we could bring him in until the end of the season. Without stating the obvious here it seems the well is a bit dry at the moment .
Remember him being very slow and at 30 he won't have got any quicker but should be good enough to play in this league until the end of the season

hibees 7062
13-01-2015, 05:33 PM
This thread. Your username. I demand answers.......

:greengrin

Last Minute
13-01-2015, 05:53 PM

did gordon not start this at the tic ?

ekhibee
13-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Mark Wilson's just been speaking on Sportsound. I have to say, whether he signs for us or not, he comes across as a very honest individual. He could easily have given the usual bog standard no comment answers but I thought he explained a lot of things regarding his fitness, his leaving DU and the incident with Zaliukas. He did also say he was a free agent now, but not been approached so far.

Speedy
13-01-2015, 09:49 PM

I was under the impression that many do to an extent. Not quite pay per play but a very basic salary and performance /appearance based bonuses.

gordieboy
14-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Is this the Wilson that was with Celtic,if so I would take him till end of season and see how he fits in.

Jones28
14-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Spot on signing 👍

vercol36
14-01-2015, 05:30 AM
IIRC Latapy went out the night before a Derby with Dwight Yorke

Can anyone remember what derby this was? Curious if he managed to score a goal or not!

Aldo
14-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Can anyone remember what derby this was? Curious if he managed to score a goal or not!

He was dropped from the final derby of the season and the Scottish cup final squad. So he didn't score.

JimBHibees
14-01-2015, 09:00 AM

He was done for drink driving and didnt play in the game resulting in Hibs terminating his contract about 6 weeks or so before the Scottish cup final in 2001. Dont think it was the night before more like the Thursday or Friday night before a Sunday game.

Ringothedog
14-01-2015, 12:52 PM
He was done for drink driving and didnt play in the game resulting in Hibs terminating his contract about 6 weeks or so before the Scottish cup final in 2001. Dont think it was the night before more like the Thursday or Friday night before a Sunday game.

His contract was terminated after the Hearts game which was on 13/5/01. The SC Final was on 26/5/01. So it was less than 2 weeks. Do I believe he would have made a difference in the Final....YES!

JimBHibees
14-01-2015, 12:56 PM
His contract was terminated after the Hearts game which was on 13/5/01. The SC Final was on 26/5/01. So it was less than 2 weeks. Do I believe he would have made a difference in the Final....YES!

Didnt realise it was that close to the final. Agree entirely seemed a peculiar self destructive decision as even if he could be argued to be a distraction you would have thought Hibs could have kept him until the end of the season given his ability. That and the week after Sauzee getting injured in a game IMO he shouldnt have been playing in v Rangers 6 days before the final scuppered any chance we had.

Smartie
14-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Didnt realise it was that close to the final. Agree entirely seemed a peculiar self destructive decision as even if he could be argued to be a distraction you would have thought Hibs could have kept him until the end of the season given his ability. That and the week after Sauzee getting injured in a game IMO he shouldnt have been playing in v Rangers 6 days before the final scuppered any chance we had.

With hindsight it does seem harsh and self-destructive.

I don't think it was his first offence though - far from it (or so I'm led to believe). I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back and it's not as if McLeish has a track record of getting these things wrong or for cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Shame really - we were superb in the first part of that season and that team would have had as good a chance as any of ending "that" hoodoo. Although the wheels had well and truly come off by the time of the cup final.

jacomo
14-01-2015, 02:27 PM

I remember it well, and thought Big Eck had been backed into a corner. He was presumably pushing his squad to earn a place in the cup final team, and then Latapy treats him and the rest of his team mates with contempt by going out on the lash with Dwight Yorke. It was obvious that it would harm our chances, but ignoring it might have done us harm too.

erin go bragh
14-01-2015, 04:36 PM
I remember it well, and thought Big Eck had been backed into a corner. He was presumably pushing his squad to earn a place in the cup final team, and then Latapy treats him and the rest of his team mates with contempt by going out on the lash with Dwight Yorke. It was obvious that it would harm our chances, but ignoring it might have done us harm too.

Fwiw . A heavy fine would have been enough . Cutting your nose off to spite your face . Poor decision by Latapy but even poorer by Mcleish .

Ggtth

SunshineOnLeith
14-01-2015, 07:52 PM

What right minded footballer would sign for a team as backup on a pay per play?

Is it only Hibs fans who are so obsessed with pay as you play deals? Every free agent ever discussed on here, people jump straight to pay as you play as a 'common sense' option.

JimBHibees
14-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Fwiw . A heavy fine would have been enough . Cutting your nose off to spite your face . Poor decision by Latapy but even poorer by Mcleish .

Ggtth

That would have been my view also.

Danderhall Hibs
14-01-2015, 09:12 PM
What right minded footballer would sign for a team as backup on a pay per play?

Is it only Hibs fans who are so obsessed with pay as you play deals? Every free agent ever discussed on here, people jump straight to pay as you play as a 'common sense' option.

:agree: loads of budding CFOs on here.

Bronson
12-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Just signed for Dumbarton, what a signing that is for them.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=1715

California-Hibs
13-02-2015, 12:51 AM

Wow, a bit surprised at that one! Like you say, a brilliant signing for them!

O'Rourke3
13-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Clear he wants to play football and put himself back in the shop window. Reminds me of an ex Hibs striker who refused offers from lower league clubs because he felt he had Premier League still in him, where's he there days......