PDA

View Full Version : NHC African Cup of Nations

hibsbollah
12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Starts this weekend. Always a competition I like, with radge nicknames, 1970s style bumpy pitches, wildly inconsistent goalkeeping displays and optimistic and spectacular attempts on goal from hitherto unknown strikers looking for a big money move to Europe on the back of YouTube. Plus it's all on Eurosport.

Most Hibbys will be supporting Congo, for obvious reasons. No obvious favourite, I have a feeling Asamoah Gyans Ghana will win it. But I think I'll be cheering on Zambia, because they have the coolest nickname, in the absence of the Benin Squirrels anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/african-cup-of-nations-2015-welcome-to-a-most-unlikely-venue--equatorial-guinea-9970214.html

ekhibee
12-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I voted for Tunisia because I've got a degree in Classical Studies lol

Bronson
12-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Congo Red Devils, bit of a no-brainer considering the calibre of a certain player they have among their ranks.

portycabbage
12-01-2015, 09:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Flag_of_Sao_Tome_and_Principe.svg/23px-Flag_of_Sao_Tome_and_Principe.svg.png São Tomé and Príncipe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Tom%C3%A9_and_Pr%C3%ADncipe_national_foot ball_team)
-
"The Falcons and Parrots Team"

-Shame they didn't qualify. A few nervous parrots on that team though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Flag_of_Mauritius.svg/23px-Flag_of_Mauritius.svg.png Mauritius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritius_national_football_team) - "Club M"

-Must try harder

Glory Lurker
12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Everything I know about African football tells be it's got to be Dominique's boys for the Cup.

Respect, though, to Equatorial Guinea for staying animal free. Could we give them an animal for the purposes of this poll?

R'Albin
12-01-2015, 09:35 PM
I think Dominique Malonga will win.

Future17
12-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Everything I know about African football tells be it's got to be Dominique's boys for the Cup.

Respect, though, to Equatorial Guinea for staying animal free. Could we give them an animal for the purposes of this poll?

It's whether they can stay Ebola-free that's the question.

As far as nicknames go, I think they are to be known as the "Old Spanish":

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/true-shock-equatorial-guinea-player-4955227

:flag:

worcesterhibby
12-01-2015, 10:20 PM
first time I've seen the team names…I didn't realise Malonga played 20/20 Cricket :rolleyes:

--------
13-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Starts this weekend. Always a competition I like, with radge nicknames, 1970s style bumpy pitches, wildly inconsistent goalkeeping displays and optimistic and spectacular attempts on goal from hitherto unknown strikers looking for a big money move to Europe on the back of YouTube. Plus it's all on Eurosport.

Most Hibbys will be supporting Congo, for obvious reasons. No obvious favourite, I have a feeling Asamoah Gyans Ghana will win it. But I think I'll be cheering on Zambia, because they have the coolest nickname, in the absence of the Benin Squirrels anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/african-cup-of-nations-2015-welcome-to-a-most-unlikely-venue--equatorial-guinea-9970214.html

I see that Congo are 40-1 against to win the trophy. Just as long as everyone goes home with clean bills of health ...

Future17
13-01-2015, 09:19 AM
I see that Congo are 40-1 against to win the trophy. Just as long as everyone goes home with clean bills of health ...

You can get Congo at 70/1 if you are so inclined. :greengrin

Given that the past 2 competitions have seen Zambia win and Burkino Faso get to the final, I think an each way bet on one or two of the unfancied sides might be worth the gamble, especially considering the upheaval of the last-minute rearrangement of the tournament.

I think I'll be placing a wager on Zambia (33/1) and Gabon (40/1) with a couple of quid on Equitorial Guinea at 33/1 as you can never rule out the host nation advantage.

GreenLake
13-01-2015, 09:41 AM
This tournament of African nations is held every two years while the World Cup and EUFA Finals are every four years. It would double our chances of qualifying if we held our tournaments every two years.

Wighty76
13-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Zambia Copper Bullets.

outstanding name.

mon the bulllets

Future17
13-01-2015, 11:44 AM
This tournament of African nations is held every two years while the World Cup and EUFA Finals are every four years. It would double our chances of qualifying if we held our tournaments every two years.

:greengrin

No it wouldn't...although some stattos may argue that holding them every two years would double a nation's chance of qualifying once ever four years.

nellio
13-01-2015, 01:02 PM
I'll watch a wee bit of this. I think Algeria will win it, They were great in the world cup and have some decent players.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2015, 01:12 PM
I love the ACN for the goalkeeping. Some of it is reminiscent of Sunday league stuff.

I really struggle to think of many decent African goalkeepers, Senzo Meyiwa and Victor Enyeama in recent years. Bruce Grobellar, Jospeh Belle and Thomas N'Kono in days gone by. It's probably not the best continent to learn the goalkeeping trade to be fair.

JimBHibees
13-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a pretty incredible tournament with only 4 stadiums being used with only one having a capacity of 35k with the 3 others 15, 10 and 5k capacities. The hosts were given the tournament after Morocco pulled out however had already been ruled out of the qualifying for fielding an ineligible player.

KdyHby
13-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Is it on Zitelli in the UK?

Billy Whizz
13-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Eurosport. Think Congo play at 4pm on Saturday. Will miss this one as Hibs are playing

hibsbollah
13-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Eurosport. Think Congo play at 4pm on Saturday. Will miss this one as Hibs are playing

Malonga's Congo kick off against the hosts Equitorial Guinea at 4pm. Then at 7pm its tourney dark horses Burkina Faso against Gabon; looking forward to seeing Dortmund's Aubemeyang up front for Gabon, was top scorer in France season before last iirc.

Got some shekels on Zambia and Mali.

Haymaker
13-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Gotta be following the Congo but will keep an eye on the Ivory Coast and Herve Renard manages them and that guy is funny as ****.

KdyHby
13-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks

Bristolhibby
13-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Anyone have any idea where to get a Congo football shirt from?

Cheers

J

Stranraer
13-01-2015, 08:00 PM
the Super Eagles didn't qualify!?

Stranraer
13-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Anyone have any idea where to get a Congo football shirt from?

Cheers

J

Have you tried Subside sports? If they don't have it you can contact them and they'll get it in for ya.

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-01-2015, 08:11 PM
I'd like the big man to do well for Congo. Then again, I'd also like him back sooner rather than later

JimBHibees
13-01-2015, 08:42 PM

Itv also covering would assume itv 4 or so

Sas_The_Hibby
13-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a pretty incredible tournament with only 4 stadiums being used with only one having a capacity of 35k with the 3 others 15, 10 and 5k capacities. The hosts were given the tournament after Morocco pulled out however had already been ruled out of the qualifying for fielding an ineligible player.

My son and I had flights and a hotel in Marrakech booked for 10 days, covering the period of the quarter finals to the final, so to say I was gutted when Morocco were no longer hosting AFCON 2015 is an understatement and a half.... :bitchy:

Sir David Gray
13-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Itv also covering would assume itv 4 or so

ITV4 have a highlights programme each day and will also show live coverage of a deciding match from each group plus both semis and the final.

Eurosport's covering every single match.

My_Wife_Camille
13-01-2015, 11:20 PM
The African Cup of Nations is class. It's basically comedy football! You mix a bunch of world class players with a gang no hopers and add in a touch of African Spirit and you get a magical result! Defenders doing Cryuff turns in their own box, 2 footed waist high challenges, pitches that are only a couple Of pieces of dog ***** away from being up there with the best edinburgh council has to offer and some truly hilariously shocking goalkeeping.

Mon Bafana Bafana

Future17
15-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Seems we're off to a good start before the tournament has even begun:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30827301

Stranraer
15-01-2015, 01:55 PM
As champions are Nigeria automatically in the finals?

scoopyboy
15-01-2015, 02:18 PM
As champions are Nigeria automatically in the finals?

Nope, eliminated at qualifying group that Malongo / Congo were in.

hibsbollah
16-01-2015, 08:22 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/15/africa-cup-of-nations-2015-group-by-group-preview

All you could possibly need to know for tomorrow's kick off. I like that South Africa's coach is called Shakes Mashaba, and that his star central defender is called 'The Tower'. :greengrin

DH1875
16-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Algeria will win it :aok:

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Congo vs the Equitorials.

Ferebory Dore or Malonga?

10 mins till we find out..

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Theme from 'shaft' banging out. Eurosport is a bit amateur.

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Fab singing for the anthems.

'Chris' malonga on the bench:dunno:
No sign of Dominique.

Mikey
17-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Dominique on the bench too, listed right under Chris!

Boyle89
17-01-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm torn. I want Congo to progress but I also want malonga back ASAP...

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Nice effort from Onangue. Looks a player. Id take him in the Handling role.

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Great play by #14 and a great finish.
1-0 EG. Malonga might be coming back early.

Aldo
17-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Great play by #14 and a great finish. 1-0 EG. Malonga might be coming back early.

Want the lad to do well but from a selfish point of view I want them beaten in every game and he comes back soonest

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 03:58 PM
HT 1-0 down. Hope we see the main man second half.

Scorrie
17-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Congo equalise. Malonga assist. Great pass from the big man!

SteveHFC
17-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Malonga had a great chance.

Scorrie
17-01-2015, 04:54 PM
How did Malonga miss that!

hibsbollah
17-01-2015, 05:02 PM
I never expected this. Hes seeing loads of the ball now and assisted the goal. He's definitely got a chance of getting 90 mins in the next game.

AlbertK86
18-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Just saw highlights of Congo opening game.

Came off bench set up equaliser and with 4 mins to go should have had the winner with only keeper to beat. hit straight at the keeper from about 8 yards out.

Good that he got on and albeit he missed he got an assist and made a great timed run to get to the pass that could have won them the game

hibsbollah
18-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Just saw highlights of Congo opening game.

Came off bench set up equaliser and with 4 mins to go should have had the winner with only keeper to beat. hit straight at the keeper from about 8 yards out.

Good that he got on and albeit he missed he got an assist and made a great timed run to get to the pass that could have won them the game

It'll be interesting to see whether his good all round play and assist will get him 90 mins for the next game, or whether missing the sitter will mean another start on the bench. They really need all three points after Gabons comfortable win yesterday, so he should see some action I reckon.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I love the ACN for the goalkeeping. Some of it is reminiscent of Sunday league stuff.

I really struggle to think of many decent African goalkeepers, Senzo Meyiwa and Victor Enyeama in recent years. Bruce Grobellar, Jospeh Belle and Thomas N'Kono in days gone by. It's probably not the best continent to learn the goalkeeping trade to be fair.

Makalamby signed for an African country after he realised he wasn't good enough for Belgium didn't he?

Bobo
18-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Makalamby signed for an African country after he realised he wasn't good enough for Belgium didn't he?

Should have ran away with Billy Smarts' Circus :rolleyes: :wink:

Mr White
24-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Just watching the highlights if the ivory coast v Mali game from earlier on today and there was an interesting refereeing decision at the end of the first half. Ivory coast defender flicks the ball up to head it back to the keeper and the ref gives an indirect free kick for a pass back. IC players were raging and commentators were adamant the ref was wrong. I'm fairly sure he's correct and that this is classed as a deliberate pass back if you set yourself up to head it back. Anyone know for sure? If the ref is indeed right it's surprising that the players and commentators are unaware?

Speedy
24-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Just watching the highlights if the ivory coast v Mali game from earlier on today and there was an interesting refereeing decision at the end of the first half. Ivory coast defender flicks the ball up to head it back to the keeper and the ref gives an indirect free kick for a pass back. IC players were raging and commentators were adamant the ref was wrong. I'm fairly sure he's correct and that this is classed as a deliberate pass back if you set yourself up to head it back. Anyone know for sure? If the ref is indeed right it's surprising that the players and commentators are unaware?

Needs to be kicked back to be a pass back.

hibsbollah
24-01-2015, 11:18 PM
There's been a dearth of goals so far. Very cagey tournament. Senegal looked good the other night.

Mr White
25-01-2015, 12:48 AM

Not according to the ref and this article
http://www.vavel.com/en/international-football/441610-ivory-coast-1-1-mali-gradel-spares-the-elephants-blushes.html

"In the 38th minute there was quite an unusual occurrence, an indirect free kick for a back pass. Eric Bertrand thought he was allowed to lift the ball with his foot before heading it back but the referee correctly blew the whistle. Sako took the free kick but Gradel, who had only just come on for Diomandé, blocked it in the last real action of the first half."

Onceinawhile
25-01-2015, 08:14 AM

No it doesn't. The ref was right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

delbert
25-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Not according to the ref and this article
http://www.vavel.com/en/international-football/441610-ivory-coast-1-1-mali-gradel-spares-the-elephants-blushes.html

"In the 38th minute there was quite an unusual occurrence, an indirect free kick for a back pass. Eric Bertrand thought he was allowed to lift the ball with his foot before heading it back but the referee correctly blew the whistle. Sako took the free kick but Gradel, who had only just come on for Diomandé, blocked it in the last real action of the first half."

If a player uses a 'deliberate trick' to circumvent the Laws of the Game, basically against the spirit of the game, then the referee will stop the game and award an indirect free kick to the opposition at the point where this trick occurred - the referee should also have cautioned the player for ungentlemanly conduct - but basically the referee was spot on here, once again highlighting the frightening ignorance of the laws by commentators and so called experts.

Speedy
25-01-2015, 12:48 PM
No it doesn't. The ref was right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

Fair enough.

No surprise there is confusion though given that the rules explicitly say it needs to be kicked. If they're going to have exceptions to that it should be clear in the pass back section.

Radium
25-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Congo 0-0 at half time. Going through as group winners at. Eurosport 2

micksoo
25-01-2015, 06:10 PM
1-0 up now

Borderhibbie76
25-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Dom on the bench again

DownInAlbion
25-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Hurry up and bring the big man on!

--------
25-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Dom on the bench again

They're saving him for the final. You'll see.

"Hibs' Hat-Trick Hero Returns In Glory. I Owe It All To Alan Stubbs, he says."

--------
25-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Now 2-1 Congo.

2-0 Equatorial Guinea.

--------
25-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Congo win 2-1 FT. Go through as top of their section.

bringbackbenny
25-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Congo through. Horrendous error by the Burkina Faso keeper

--------
25-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Congo through. Horrendous error by the Burkina Faso keeper

Now if Tommy Craig was still around ER he'd be wanting us to sign him.

micksoo
25-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Next round on Saturday

bingo70
25-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Next round on Saturday

Who will they be playing?

hibsbollah
25-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Who will they be playing?

The runnerup in group B. We'll find out tomorrow, could be any of the four teams, Tunisia, Cape Verde, Zambia or Congo DR.

Ronniekirk
25-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Hurry up and bring the big man on!

At this rate he won't be match fit by the time he returns :confused: his miss in the first game in as cost him game time possibly

Ozyhibby
25-01-2015, 08:41 PM
At this rate he won't be match fit by the time he returns :confused: his miss in the first game in as cost him game time possibly

So long as he's not injured I'm happy.

Danderhall Hibs
25-01-2015, 08:46 PM
This tournaments a load of ***** and should be moved to every 4 years.

ionahibby
26-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Looks like we will be without malonga a little while yet. Congo scrape through to quarter finals!

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 07:12 PM
So the Republic of Congo will play the Democratic Republic of Congo in the quarter finals on Saturday.

Confused? You should be.

CropleyWasGod
26-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Looks like we will be without malonga a little while yet. Congo scrape through to quarter finals!
Think you're confused. They won their group :)

lord bunberry
26-01-2015, 07:20 PM
So the Republic of Congo will play the Democratic Republic of Congo in the quarter finals on Saturday.

Confused? You should be.

Mon the Congo

ekhibee
26-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Confused? You should be.
For some of us, maybe. Slight difference in the populations though lol

Population of Republic of Congo- just over 4 million
Population of Democratic Republic of Congo- over 77 million!

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Yeah I know.

I know the difference between the pair of them as well, it's just a bit more difficult when you're referring to them both by name!

hibsbollah
26-01-2015, 07:34 PM
The best nickname has gone. The Zambia Copper Bullets finish bottom of their pish easy group:bye:

ekhibee
26-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Yeah I know.

I know the difference between the pair of them as well, it's just a bit more difficult when you're referring to them both by name!
Totally agree, you were quite right to say it was confusing. I think I'm right in saying that DR Congo was formerly known as Zaire, for 25 years or so, after the break up of Belgian Congo. I know that doesn't make it any easier though!

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Totally agree, you were quite right to say it was confusing. I think I'm right in saying that DR Congo was formerly known as Zaire, for 25 years or so, after the break up of Belgian Congo. I know that doesn't make it any easier though!

It was.

DR Congo was a Belgian colony and Congo was a French colony, both until 1960.

Billy Whizz
26-01-2015, 08:00 PM

So who's the favourite

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 08:08 PM
So who's the favourite

Has to be Republic of Congo.

They won two out of their three group matches and finished top, whereas DR Congo drew all three of their matches and finished second.

DR Congo are slightly higher ranked in the FIFA rankings though.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Hope Malonga's Congo get pumped quick sharp and he back here ASAP. We need to keep winning.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Hope Malonga's Congo get pumped quick sharp and he back here ASAP. We need to keep winning.

It probably won't matter when they get knocked out from now on to be honest.

Their quarter final is played on Saturday so that will rule him out of the Raith Rovers game. He is suspended for the following match against Arbroath anyway so considering that the final is being played on Sunday 8th February, he'll probably be back in time for the Sevco game, regardless of how Congo gets on.

He could have played on Saturday if Congo had been eliminated in the group stage.

hibsbollah
26-01-2015, 09:58 PM
It probably won't matter when they get knocked out from now on to be honest.

Their quarter final is played on Saturday so that will rule him out of the Raith Rovers game. He is suspended for the following match against Arbroath anyway so considering that the final is being played on Sunday 8th February, he'll probably be back in time for the Sevco game, regardless of how Congo gets on.

He could have played on Saturday if Congo had been eliminated in the group stage.

:agree:
Added to that, imagine the psychological high he'll get if Congo actually win the thing and he contributes. His exposure to high quality opposition, dealing with high pressure matches, can only benefit us as a club.

We should stop moaning and cheer on the Red Devils (this will come as second nature to trig already of course...)

AK86
26-01-2015, 10:32 PM
This tournaments a load of ***** and should be moved to every 4 years.
I agree. Nobody seems truly up for it. It really is a tournament without a true vocation now.

--------
28-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Added to that, imagine the psychological high he'll get if Congo actually win the thing and he contributes. His exposure to high quality opposition, dealing with high pressure matches, can only benefit us as a club.

We should stop moaning and cheer on the Red Devils (this will come as second nature to trig already of course...)

Yup. How long is it since we had a player in a major international tournament? This is good for us and good for Dom.

And it's not as if we've been struggling to score in his absence ....

Though I do agree with those who say the tournament should be every 4 years like the Euros and the World Cup. The games I've watched have shown every sign of spectator overkill - too much of a theoretically good thing, IMO.

hibsbollah
28-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Yup. How long is it since we had a player in a major international tournament? This is good for us and good for Dom.

And it's not as if we've been struggling to score in his absence ....

Though I do agree with those who say the tournament should be every 4 years like the Euros and the World Cup. The games I've watched have shown every sign of spectator overkill - too much of a theoretically good thing, IMO.

I was reading that there isn't much of a culture of away fans travelling in African football, for lots of different reasons, cost, dodgy infrastructure, wars etc. So unless the hosts are involved the atmosphere can be a bit flat.

Onceinawhile
28-01-2015, 08:55 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30910026

guinea and mali to draw lots to decide on who goes through.

Ronniekirk
28-01-2015, 09:29 PM

I will wager a guinea :wink: On Mali going through ,what a lottery .Have only watched the highlights of game our Dom slid through that great pass for the equaliser.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2015, 09:56 PM

I knew that group standings were eventually decided on such criteria but I don't think I've ever seen it happen before!

Could they not get the two squads to one of the grounds and get them to participate in a penalty shoot out to decide who goes through?

Surely that would be fairer than picking a ball from a pot!

Danderhall Hibs
29-01-2015, 05:13 AM
I knew that group standings were eventually decided on such criteria but I don't think I've ever seen it happen before!

Could they not get the two squads to one of the grounds and get them to participate in a penalty shoot out to decide who goes through?

I'm sure it happened in the 1990 world cup as well - Republic of Ireland won the lots and went through to the last 16 (I think). Probably before your time though.

wee hay
29-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Disaplinary record maybe?

Mr White
29-01-2015, 05:41 AM
I'm sure it happened in the 1990 world cup as well - Republic of Ireland won the lots and went through to the last 16 (I think). Probably before your time though.

That was slightly different. ROI and netherlands were tied but both progressed, lots were drawn to decide who finished 2nd and and third, and consequently who would face Romania and who would have to play West Germany.

This was when the world cup had 24 teams so from the 6 groups the 4 best 3rd place teams progressed to the last 16. The Netherlands were one of those while, predictably Scotland were one of the 2 countries to finish 3rd and go home.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 10:33 AM

Almost. I was two years old.

I was probably away for my afternoon nap at the time! :greengrin

hibbysam
29-01-2015, 09:43 PM

The two teams played each other in the last game which makes it more bizarre as to why they never played a penalty shoot out!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2015, 10:36 PM
The two teams played each other in the last game which makes it more bizarre as to why they never played a penalty shoot out!

The rules were already set before the tournament started so they couldn't have done anything differently on this occasion.

I certainly think this method of resolving ties in group standings should be scrapped from now on though.

Danderhall Hibs
30-01-2015, 07:13 AM
That was slightly different. ROI and netherlands were tied but both progressed, lots were drawn to decide who finished 2nd and and third, and consequently who would face Romania and who would have to play West Germany.

This was when the world cup had 24 teams so from the 6 groups the 4 best 3rd place teams progressed to the last 16. The Netherlands were one of those while, predictably Scotland were one of the 2 countries to finish 3rd and go home.

That rings a bell - think ROI got an easier draw by winning the lots (Romania?).

Danderhall Hibs
30-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Almost. I was two years old.

I was probably away for my afternoon nap at the time! :greengrin

:greengrin you've missed out mate - it was great seeing Scotland in major championships

WeeRussell
30-01-2015, 11:16 AM
:greengrin you've missed out mate - it was great seeing Scotland in major championships

France '98 - Collins Penalty :greengrin..... yep that's about it.

Mr White
30-01-2015, 11:47 AM
That rings a bell - think ROI got an easier draw by winning the lots (Romania?).

If Ireland had played the Germans and Voller had sent a greener Paul McGrath's way I reckon the permed one would have needed a stretcher to leave the field :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-01-2015, 02:39 PM

I can vaguely remember France '98.

I was coming up for 10 years of age and I can remember watching the game against Brazil.

Absolutely nothing since then though and I'm coming up for 27 later this year!

It's frightening to think that there's now a whole generation of Scottish people who have never witnessed Scotland competing in a major football competition. Considering we can't qualify for anything now before Euro 2016, no-one under the age 18 will have been alive the last time Scotland qualified for a major tournament.

It's shocking.

Scott Allan Key
30-01-2015, 08:05 PM

I was coming up for 10 years of age and I can remember watching the game against Brazil.

It's frightening to think that there's now a whole generation of Scottish people who have never witnessed Scotland competing in a major football competition. Considering we can't qualify for anything now before Euro 2016, no-one under the age 18 will have been alive the last time Scotland qualified for a major tournament.

It's shocking.

I blame Potter.

Gmack7
30-01-2015, 09:15 PM

It's shocking.
l can't remember France 98 either and i was there:wink:

Thecat23
30-01-2015, 09:32 PM
I was in The Robins Nest on Gilmerton road as that's the local. Can honestly say having everyone supporting the same team and when the pen went in I've never experienced an explosion like it even watching Hibs. It was crazy and the place was wrecked!!!!

Viva_Palmeiras
30-01-2015, 09:50 PM
I was in The Robins Nest on Gilmerton road as that's the local. Can honestly say having everyone supporting the same team and when the pen went in I've never experienced an explosion like it even watching Hibs. It was crazy and the place was wrecked!!!!

And the rest was Hjbstory...

http://www.hibs.net/londonhibs/hhht/issue22/brazilian.htm

DAVE1875
31-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Big Dom on for Congo

just before the DR Congo equalise, 2-2

cabbageandribs1875
31-01-2015, 04:41 PM
2-0 and they **** it up 2-3

cleanyman
31-01-2015, 04:50 PM
2-0 and they **** it up 2-3

Excellent

Bishop Hibee
31-01-2015, 04:57 PM
4-2 full time. Good news for us and a well rested Malonga back in the first XI against Arbroath.

The Sundance Kid
31-01-2015, 04:59 PM
4-2 full time. Good news for us and a well rested Malonga back in the first XI against Arbroath.

Think he's suspended for that unfortunately

Billy Whizz
31-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Think he's suspended for that unfortunately

He is, but at least he's back training with us

cabbageandribs1875
31-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Excellent

even worse 2-4 FT....welcome back Dom, should be ready for friday 13th at the govan bigot dome

Sir David Gray
31-01-2015, 06:26 PM

Nope.

He can't play until the Sevco game as he was sent off in the last round at Alloa.

It didn't matter when Congo were eliminated with regards to when he would be available again.

With Boyle also cup-tied and El Alagui still out injured, we're a bit stretched for next week.

Should hopefully still have enough for Arbroath though!

Mr White
05-02-2015, 07:49 PM
This doesn't look good. Crowd trouble and fans on the pitch as ghana are 3 up against the hosts with a few minutes left in the semi final. Match suspended. On itv4.

Sir David Gray
05-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Think they've been stopped for around 30 minutes now and they were about to restart the match with a drop ball but now the referee has gone over to the dugout to speak to someone.

Apparently the police are dispersing tear gas in the stands.

It's all a bit shambolic.

Hiber-nation
05-02-2015, 08:18 PM
What a shambles of a tournament. Time to make it every 4 years.

macca70
05-02-2015, 08:18 PM
This doesn't look good. Crowd trouble and fans on the pitch as ghana are 3 up against the hosts with a few minutes left in the semi final. Match suspended. On itv4.

This is utterly ridiculous!!

Full riot, bottles being lobbed on the pitch, players on the pitch for 30 mins, players clearing the pitch, riot police with tear gas, helicopter above pitch and now looks like game is about to restart!!

Unbelievable!!

Sir David Gray
05-02-2015, 08:23 PM
So they decide to restart the match and play three minutes of injury time when the match was stopped in the 82nd minute.

Pretty unprofessional.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2015, 08:23 PM
So they decide to restart the match and play three minutes of injury time when the match was stopped in the 82nd minute.

Pretty unprofessional.

Pretty sensible in my opinion

Sir David Gray
05-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Pretty sensible in my opinion

Why? :confused:

Billy Whizz
05-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Why? :confused:

Technically you're right, but I think it was important to get the players and officials off the park, and home as soon and safely as possible

Sir David Gray
05-02-2015, 09:00 PM
Technically you're right, but I think it was important to get the players and officials off the park, and home as soon and safely as possible

To my mind, the referee and the officials had two choices;

1- If the referee and the security officials felt that things were so bad, they should have abandoned the match this evening and then tomorrow they could have decided what to do about replaying it, either from the point at which the match was stopped or replay the whole match.

2- Restart the match tonight and play on from the point at which they stopped, i.e. 82 minutes, until the end of the match.

I don't know how the referee can simply just make up a random number of minutes to play. That doesn't make any sense to me.

jacomo
07-02-2015, 10:43 AM
To my mind, the referee and the officials had two choices;

1- If the referee and the security officials felt that things were so bad, they should have abandoned the match this evening and then tomorrow they could have decided what to do about replaying it, either from the point at which the match was stopped or replay the whole match.

2- Restart the match tonight and play on from the point at which they stopped, i.e. 82 minutes, until the end of the match.

I don't know how the referee can simply just make up a random number of minutes to play. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Difficult decision, but a football match is 90 mins long. It's hard to argue the result is legitimate if they've only played 86 mins or whatever.