PDA

View Full Version : Keeper

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Oxley or Williams? You have no other choice. Which?

I think Oxleys distributions better, Williams shot stopping is his biggest strength, but Oxley is better against crosses. They are both prone to the occasional bad game. I liked Big Ben too but after pondering it for a while i vote for the Ox.

MSK
11-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Oxley ..

H18Y GW
11-01-2015, 09:47 AM
If Williams hadnt saved penalties early in his career with us,he would have been hunted,the one he "left" from Willo Flood at Pittodrie started the rot and he threw one in every week thereafter.

Oxley who isnt great at times, but is better than Williams and good enough for Hibs

Jones28
11-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Ox, seems more commanding and with his stature has no problem coming out and competing for the ball

Spike Mandela
11-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Oxley has a better goal scoring record at Hibs.

Scottie
11-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Ox, seems more commanding and with his stature has no problem coming out and competing for the ball
So what happened to him yesterday ?

Dosen't fill me with any confidence I'm afraid. Same as Williams who at the moment is letting in the same sloppy goals for Bradford as he did for us.

Since90+2
11-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Oxley is a decent goalkeeper.

People are overreacting in regards his performance yesterday. Overall he has done well.

Bronson
11-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Williams for me, no contest, would have him back in an instant.

Elephant Stone
11-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Williams for me, no contest, would have him back in an instant.

Same for me.

Smartie
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Tough one to call.

Williams went to pieces when he lost a coach he rated and got a new one that he clearly didn't. Williams was a superb communicator and I think this went a bit when the Butcher/ Malpas/ Marsella dream team came in. Our whole defensive unit suffered as a result. That said, the defence still wasn't the reason we struggled last year.

The best time to make an objective judgement of Oxley's performance and ability is probably not in the 24 hours after his worst 90 minutes of the season. But the goalkeeper and centre-backs were all over the shop yesterday, communication seemed poor and they looked like they'd never seen each other before. A huge difference to the The Rangers game when I thought they looked really solid.

Overall I'm quite happy with Oxley but he'll know himself that he needs to improve on his performance yesterday. I even wonder if the weather might have contributed to the indecision yesterday with the ball holding up in the wind making decision-making more difficult for them all.

Too close to call for me, but they (and Stack) are all miles better than some of the other jokers we had over the previous few years.

ekhibee
11-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Neither of them, they are both totally overrated by plenty of people on here just because the ones before them were even worse.

lord bunberry
11-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I noticed Williams came off the bench yesterday, has he been injured or just not getting a game?

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Tough one to call.

The best time to make an objective judgement of Oxley's performance and ability is probably not in the 24 hours after his worst 90 minutes of the season.

Thats one reason why I asked it today. I think if id have asked it yesterday morning it would have been 2:1 Oxley.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Neither. We can surly pick up a better keeper than oxley or am I being too harsh?

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 12:26 PM
It would be nice to think people would show their support for our current keeper.

Stevie Reid
11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
I have been backing Oxley all season on here, and that won't change, I like him a lot.

However, I'd probably rather have the Ben Williams that we had pre-Butcher.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2015, 01:12 PM
I wasn't at the game yesterday due to work so I can't comment on Oxley's performance in that game. I think overall he's been decent and I'm comfortable with him being our goalkeeper until at least the end of the season.

However, for me, Ben Williams is the best goalkeeper I've seen at Hibs for at least 10 years.

I would have him back any time.

Ringothedog
11-01-2015, 01:19 PM
It would be nice to think people would show their support for our current keeper.

Totally agree Dave. Typical Hibs fans looking for a scapegoat. The whole defence yesterday were terrible as were our midfield who gave the defence no help.

Jones28
11-01-2015, 01:32 PM
So what happened to him yesterday ?

Dosen't fill me with any confidence I'm afraid. Same as Williams who at the moment is letting in the same sloppy goals for Bradford as he did for us.

When the defence infront of you was as poor as yesterday's it's no surprise you concede 3 goals. I don't fault him for any of the goals yesterday, if it was dealt with properly then there isn't even a chance on goal.

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 03:16 PM

:dunno: I do. I am.

I don't think posing the question on here who we like the best is disloyal or anything, do you?

HoboHarry
11-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Personally I liked Goram the best but he isn't coming back either so the question is relevant. Really don't know what the point of these questions are other than to bring the usual muck rakers out from under their beds to take advantage of an opportunity to slate a hibs player.

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Personally I liked Goram the best but he isn't coming back either so the question is relevant. Really don't know what the point of these questions are other than to bring the usual muck rakers out from under their beds to take advantage of an opportunity to slate a hibs player.

I think you're being a bit touchy.

HoboHarry
11-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I think you're being a bit touchy.

Maybe but I stand by my comment.

marinello59
11-01-2015, 03:33 PM

What? When self indulgently sticking the boot in to our current players is much more satisfying to some? He should be able to take it he's a pro etc blah di blah di blah di blah.

Nevi_SOL
11-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I've already seen oxley come back from a mistake. I can't remember Williams doing that. Oxley for me

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Maybe but I stand by my comment.

I'll remember not to post any similar 'compare current with past player' polls in the future then, lest I offend anyone.

HoboHarry
11-01-2015, 03:38 PM
I'll remember not to post any similar 'compare current with past player' polls in the future then, lest I offend anyone.

Good.

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Good.

:rolleyes:
You really are serious arent you? So a 'who's better, Ivan or McGeouch' question, is somehow out of order?

I'm glad you're not a moderator on here.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 03:46 PM
What? When self indulgently sticking the boot in to our current players is much more satisfying to some? He should be able to take it he's a pro etc blah di blah di blah di blah.

Good point, well made.

Oxley must go. :aok:

BH Hibs
11-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Oxley coz Williams isn't here

HoboHarry
11-01-2015, 03:53 PM
I didn't say that. It depends on who the targets are and I doubt that a comparison of Ivan and DM would descend into a slagging for either player. By picking Oxley however it was bound to descend quickly into criticism of him - which it did- because a number of our keyboard experts love the opportunity to remind us that "we can do better"

And I would not make it as a moderator as I would never miss an opportunity to pull up anyone who started a thread which would inevitably end up as a reason to complain about something to do with hibs.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 03:56 PM

There is no point other than for the sake of our own entertainment, and that can probably be said for 99% of the threads.

A question like, "was Sauzee better than Stanton"?" would serve no real purpose, but it's a legitimate topic for discussion.

However, asking the Williams v Oxley question only hours after loads of folk (wrongly) blamed Oxley for all 3 Falkirk goals, even before they'd seen the highlights, could only give a skewed result against him.

That would be my criticism, not the question itself.

Maybe next time we win 4 - 0 or beat the yams, the question can be asked again. I'm certain the results will be more favourable to the Ox.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 03:57 PM
I didn't say that. It depends on who the targets are and I doubt that a comparison of Ivan and DM would descend into a slagging for either player. By picking Oxley however it was bound to descend quickly into criticism of him - which it did- because a number of our keyboard experts love the opportunity to remind us that "we can do better"

Yes, fair point.

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 03:58 PM

And I would not make it as a moderator as I would never miss an opportunity to pull up anyone who started a thread which would inevitably end up as a reason to complain about something to do with hibs.

I started the thread by saying I liked both keepers. Maybe you missed that bit. If you like Oxley but someone else doesn't then argue your case. Don't see a problem.

Its all getting a bit paranoid on here.

HoboHarry
11-01-2015, 03:59 PM
There is no point other than for the sake of our own entertainment, and that can probably be said for 99% of the threads.

A question like, "was Sauzee better than Stanton"?" would serve no real purpose, but it's a legitimate topic for discussion.

However, asking the Williams v Oxley question only hours after loads of folk (wrongly) blamed Oxley for all 3 Falkirk goals, even before they'd seen the highlights, could only give a skewed result against him.

That would be my criticism, not the question itself.

Maybe next time we win 4 - 0 or beat the yams, the question can be asked again. I'm certain the results will be more favourable to the Ox.

I agree and that's pretty much the point I was trying to make.

leggeto
11-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Oxley is terrible with crosses,who tries to punch a cross with both fists when it can just as easily be caught,Ben for me anytime, a far better all rounder

eastcoasthibby
11-01-2015, 04:03 PM
What I would say is Oxley is our current keeper and that performance yesterday by him as a goalkeeper was poor at best and not acceptable. I have to say I don't think he commands the area with balls in the,are well enough for his size. His previous 2 games he did this and looked confident and very capable, but for whatever reason yesterday he was very hesitant. I think he needs to show more consistency and needs competition to keep him on his toes and up his levels.

Stevie Reid
11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
I started the thread by saying I liked both keepers. Maybe you missed that bit. If you like Oxley but someone else doesn't then argue your case. Don't see a problem.

Its all getting a bit paranoid on here.

You're getting a hard time for **** all. It's interesting to find out who prefers which keeper. It's not interesting to read why people have an issue with the thread.

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 06:15 PM
You're getting a hard time for **** all. It's interesting to find out who prefers which keeper. It's not interesting to read why people have an issue with the thread.

Thanks. I thought I was going mad for a minute.

Smartie
11-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Absolutely.

Questions should always be asked of our players.

Especially when we've blown a 2 goal lead at home.

There's a difference between picking the bones of result, providing constructive criticism and analysing the performances of players and mindless, pointless abuse of our players that can sometimes go on.

thebakerboy
11-01-2015, 07:45 PM
oxley coz williams isn't here
this

Swedish hibee
11-01-2015, 09:14 PM
I still have nightmares of Zibi. That's all I have to say.

archiebald
13-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Wish our keeper would come and punch ball like Everton keeper

Stranraer
13-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Oxley for me.

archiebald
13-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Oxley for me.

Sorry not for me,Oxley has never made saves like that in his whole career