View Full Version : Highlights v Falkirk

McIntosh
10-01-2015, 10:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30663878

LaMotta
10-01-2015, 10:37 PM

Oxley certainly never had his best game today - however:

The First Goal - def not his fault - At the time I thought it was Booth ( and Oxley and Hanlon both blamed him), but looking at the highlights there Hanlon looks equally if not more at fault.

Second Goal - What is Craig even attempting to do there? Surely more to blame than Oxley.

Third Goal - the most suspect of the lot, does a Zibby-esque mad dash when the catch is never on, before retreating - however, that doesn' t directly result in the goal - the goal comes because a guy is totally unmarked in acres on the edge of the six yard box. Defense culpable.

ehf
10-01-2015, 11:40 PM

WTF is Craig doing at the second goal? Cannot believe people are blaming Oxley. Was he expected to think: OK, here's a crap corner coming in, no danger at all, but our Captain is going to decide to spice the second half up a bit by volleying it past me instead of hooking it away??

AlbertK86
11-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Oxley certainly never had his best game today - however: The First Goal - def not his fault - At the time I thought it was Booth ( and Oxley and Hanlon both blamed him), but looking at the highlights there Hanlon looks equally if not more at fault. Second Goal - What is Craig even attempting to do there? Surely more to blame than Oxley. Third Goal - the most suspect of the lot, does a Zibby-esque mad dash when the catch is never on, before retreating - however, that doesn' t directly result in the goal - the goal comes because a guy is totally unmarked in acres on the edge of the six yard box. Defense culpable.

Spot on with your assessment of all three. I said same on match update thread last night

07BigD
11-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Loads of poor defending, Oxley not to blame but he didn't have a scooby what to do at crosses yesterday

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Loads of poor defending, Oxley not to blame but he didn't have a scooby what to do at crosses yesterday

:agree: just said this on a different thread but his indecision must've caused the defence problems?

07BigD
11-01-2015, 08:07 AM
:agree: just said this on a different thread but his indecision must've caused the defence problems?
Quite possibly, not a good day for many of them

Leithenhibby
11-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Why does, Booth run away from the play at the first goal. Always go to meet the ball Son...... :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
11-01-2015, 09:10 AM

The First Goal - def not his fault - At the time I thought it was Booth ( and Oxley and Hanlon both blamed him), but looking at the highlights there Hanlon looks equally if not more at fault.

Second Goal - What is Craig even attempting to do there? Surely more to blame than Oxley.

Third Goal - the most suspect of the lot, does a Zibby-esque mad dash when the catch is never on, before retreating - however, that doesn' t directly result in the goal - the goal comes because a guy is totally unmarked in acres on the edge of the six yard box. Defense culpable.

Spot on, goalie didn't help however no goal that he was directly responsible for. Some really awful defending. First goal is shambolic with Booth running away from his position at the back post. Marking for third is simply appalling.

Hope the story about a short term right back is true.

Billychaotic182
11-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Why does, Booth run away from the play at the first goal. Always go to meet the ball Son...... :rolleyes:

I think he was expecting Baird to miss the ball and he would be there to collect it.......

hibee_girl
11-01-2015, 09:13 AM

:agree: you could see that the defence didn't trust him yesterday

Leithenhibby
11-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Spot on, goalie didn't help however no goal that he was directly responsible for. Some really awful defending. First goal is shambolic with Booth running away from his position at the back post. Marking for third is simply appalling.

Hope the story about a short term right back is true.

:agree: Pretty much how I saw it....

I think he was expecting Baird to miss the ball and he would be there to collect it.......

Maybe, but that ain't good enough for me. :wink:

JimBHibees
11-01-2015, 09:15 AM
:agree: you could see that the defence didn't trust him yesterday

He was probably thinking the same of the defence. Comic book defending generally but specifically for goals 1 and 3.

hibsbollah
11-01-2015, 09:30 AM

Completely agree with all of that:top marks oxley is getting some unfair stick.

In terms of quality, the best piece of those highlights was Boyles assist for the third. Absolutely outstanding speed skill and then awareness to pick out Cummings.

GreenOnions
11-01-2015, 09:40 AM

I agree with some of this - especially the first goal analysis where it was Hanlon who failed to spot his man drifting behind him. I would argue that Booth & Oxley could have shouted to him about this and they should have - but it was Hanlon's man who got free. Oxley had no chance with the header.

If you were at the game though yesterday Victor I would ask you if you really felt comfortable with Oxley . There was indecision, fumbling crosses, poor communication and he should have come for the second goal and we would have avoided Craig's error. The third goal he was the main culprit for creating confusion - but not the only one. Robertson's man drifted away from him. Booth had been detailed to mark someone else.

Jones28
11-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Awful defending for all 3 goals. I think it's a bit harsh to blame Oxley, they should've been dealt with long before they were in a position to shoot

LaMotta
11-01-2015, 09:45 AM
I agree with some of this - especially the first goal analysis where it was Hanlon who failed to spot his man drifting behind him. I would argue that Booth & Oxley could have shouted to him about this and they should have - but it was Hanlon's man who got free. Oxley had no chance with the header.

If you were at the game though yesterday Victor I would ask you if you really felt comfortable with Oxley . There was indecision, fumbling crosses, poor communication and he should have come for the second goal and we would have avoided Craig's error. The third goal he was the main culprit for creating confusion - but not the only one. Robertson's man drifted away from him. Booth had been detailed to mark someone else.

I was at the game GO and I said at the time Oxley was playing a bit like he had drunk 5 pints of Stella on an empty stomach......however not directly to blame for the 3 goals and it is unfair and unwise people on the oxley thread saying that!

B.H.F.C
11-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Not sure he could have come for the first. Booth could see it unfolding and did nothing.

Second and third we could have defended better as a team but his indecisiveness caused panic. For the second the ball ended up just kind of floating in. He started to come, changed his mind and was off balance. third was just a shambles all round.

Leithenhibby
11-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Completely agree with all of that:top marks oxley is getting some unfair stick.

In terms of quality, the best piece of those highlights was Boyles assist for the third. Absolutely outstanding speed skill and then awareness to pick out Cummings.

The only Hibs player in the box surrounded by 3/4 defenders, marvelous goal :wink:

IrnBru22
11-01-2015, 11:08 AM
2nd goal

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A8eWqfWfIUg

emerald green
11-01-2015, 11:14 AM

:agree: Now that I've watched this a couple of times. Yesterday, at the match, it initially looked to me to be all down to Oxley for the 3rd goal but the whole defence was culpable for that goal. Shambolic defending it must be said, but Hibs as a team looked shaky at the back all afternoon.

Having said that, does anyone else think that the Falkirk goalkeeper looked a bit suspect for Hibs first goal, and the Falkirk defence were also posted missing when Fontaine was given a free header in the box from the corner for Hibs second goal?

PS: Well done to the assistant referee yesterday BTW. I've given many of them some stick over the years but she done her job yesterday. Hibs definitely got a break there for once.

jane_says
11-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Not Oxley's best day at the office, however only 1 of them can be attributed to him, the 3rd. You can see Robbo is absolutely fuming with him, although maybe if he'd won the header it wouldn't have happened. Someone on the Oxley thread blamed him for the disallowed goal :confused:

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
:agree: Now that I've watched this a couple of times. Yesterday, at the match, it initially looked to me to be all down to Oxley for the 3rd goal but the whole defence was culpable for that goal. Shambolic defending it must be said, but Hibs as a team looked shaky at the back all afternoon.

I don't blame the keeper for any of the goals.

The first was a deep, early cross and the striker lost Hanlon who was never going to get to the ball. Booth definitely made a huge mistake running to the back post. He should have put the boy under pressure.

Craig scored a horrible own goal, so he's the sole culprit there, imo.

Oxley looks a bit suspect for the third because he starts to come and then, realising he can't get to the ball, stops. However, if he'd stayed on his line, he wouldn't have saved it either.

Having said that, does anyone else think that the Falkirk goalkeeper looked a bit suspect for Hibs first goal, and the Falkirk defence were also posted missing when Fontaine was given a free header in the box from the corner for Hibs second goal?

I think McDonald made mistakes for two of our goals. He could have been expoected to deal with Cummings shot for the first a lot better and he sold the shirts when Boyle beat him to the ball 20 yards out.

There's even an argument that he should have closed Cummings down for the second, but that might be a bit harsh.

I only wish he'd put in performances like that when he played for the yams. Luckiest keeper alive in those days. The ball could be 3 feet over the line and he'd still have a clean sheet!

PS: Well done to the assistant referee yesterday BTW. I've given many of them some stick over the years but she done her job yesterday. Hibs definitely got a break there for once.

We definitely got a break. It certainly wasn't a hand ball and it's an unbelievably tight offside, if it is offside at all.

emerald green
11-01-2015, 11:57 AM
I don't blame the keeper for any of the goals.

The first was a deep, early cross and the striker lost Hanlon who was never going to get to the ball. Booth definitely made a huge mistake running to the back post. He should have put the boy under pressure.

Craig scored a horrible own goal, so he's the sole culprit there, imo.

Oxley looks a bit suspect for the third because he starts to come and then, realising he can't get to the ball, stops. However, if he'd stayed on his line, he wouldn't have saved it either.

I think McDonald made mistakes for two of our goals. He could have been expoected to deal with Cummings shot for the first a lot better and he sold the shirts when Boyle beat him to the ball 20 yards out.

There's even an argument that he should have closed Cummings down for the second, but that might be a bit harsh.

I only wish he'd put in performances like that when he played for the yams. Luckiest keeper alive in those days. The ball could be 3 feet over the line and he'd still have a clean sheet!

We definitely got a break. It certainly wasn't a hand ball and it's an unbelievably tight offside, if it is offside at all.

:agree: The only thing I would comment on though is that a goalkeeper has to make up his mind about coming for cross balls into the box. Coming for the ball, then changing your mind and finding yourself stranded causes panic.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Shocking defending. Set pieces to be worked on in training as that was not good enough.

Get that keeper coming for crosses cleaning everybody out in the process.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 12:14 PM
:agree: The only thing I would comment on though is that a goalkeeper has to make up his mind about coming for cross balls into the box. Coming for the ball, then changing your mind and finding yourself stranded causes panic.

I think he was a bit unlucky yesterday because both crosses were just on the edge of the "keeper's ball" zone, but aye, it can cause confusion, uncertainty and hesitation among the best of defenders.

And clearly from that display, ours ain't the best!

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Get that keeper coming for crosses cleaning everybody out in the process.

As an aside, I've often wondered why goalkeepers were allowed to do that. Is it not ball before man for keepers too?

They seem to be able to barge as many players out of the way as they want to get to the ball, sometimes hurting them in the process, and no-one blinks an eye (other than to maybe applaud his achievement).

If an outfield player did anything remotely similar, it would be given as a foul and they'd probably get booked.

Malthibby
11-01-2015, 12:55 PM
The whole game's on Hibs TV if anyone else has the stomach for it.
Commentators noted that the defence seemed shaky for most of the game.
Some very good stuff amongst the pash.
GG

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2015, 01:00 PM
McDonald was murder yesterday - he fluffed the 1st one and Boyle went round him twice with ease.

That was what I expected him to be like when I saw him come through the ranks at Hearts, via QOTS (I think). Just a pity he hardly made a mistake at Hearts.

He really is just a lucky Andy McNeil.

matty_f
11-01-2015, 01:02 PM
I thought at the game that Oxley was poor for all the goals but having watched them again I take it back. The defence was all over the place at times yesterday and that had far more to do with the goals than Oxley.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I thought at the game that Oxley was poor for all the goals but having watched them again I take it back. The defence was all over the place at times yesterday and that had far more to do with the goals than Oxley.

Definitely. Indecision at the 3rd but not entirely his fault. A wee bit again at the 2nd. He done nothing wrong at all for the 1st.

That guy we were talking to that was blaming him for them all clearly doesn't have a clue.

GreenOnions
11-01-2015, 01:08 PM
I was at the game GO and I said at the time Oxley was playing a bit like he had drunk 5 pints of Stella on an empty stomach......however not directly to blame for the 3 goals and it is unfair and unwise people on the oxley thread saying that!

:faf: I would certainly agree that the whole back 5 need to improve how they work as a unit. I just have always felt that a goalkeeper needs to be the most vocal in terms of organisation and communication because he can see everything in front of him.

Oxley I think - really needs to work on coming for cross balls too. I know Craig is getting stick for the second goal but, really, if your goalkeeper doesn't come for a floated cross that lands on or around the six yard line then you're asking for trouble as if anyone gets a touch goalwards on it it's a goal against. I wonder if, perhaps, that was preying on Oxley's mind when he made the ill-judged decision to come for the ball into the box that led to the third goal?

matty_f
11-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Definitely. Indecision at the 3rd but not entirely his fault. A wee bit again at the 2nd. He done nothing wrong at all for the 1st.

That guy we were talking to that was blaming him for them all clearly doesn't have a clue.

:agree: As clueless as they come.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 01:17 PM
:faf: I would certainly agree that the whole back 5 need to improve how they work as a unit. I just have always felt that a goalkeeper needs to be the most vocal in terms of organisation and communication because he can see everything in front of him.

Oxley I think - really needs to work on coming for cross balls too. I know Craig is getting stick for the second goal but, really, if your goalkeeper doesn't come for a floated cross that lands on or around the six yard line then you're asking for trouble as if anyone gets a touch goalwards on it it's a goal against. I wonder if, perhaps, that was preying on Oxley's mind when he made the ill-judged decision to come for the ball into the box that led to the third goal?

One of the best keepers we ever had, Andy Goram, didn't ever come for a cross ball.

Jim Leighton had a long and highly successful career, playing for Scotland nearly 100 times. He still works as a goalkeeping coach. Didn't he used to be jokingly referred to a vampire because he was so scared of crosses?

LaMotta
11-01-2015, 01:21 PM
One of the best keepers we ever had, Andy Goram, didn't ever come for a cross ball.

Jim Leighton had a long and highly successful career, playing for Scotland nearly 100 times. He still works as a goalkeeping coach. Didn't he used to be jokingly referred to a vampire because he was so scared of crosses?

They both made errors in Hibs jerseys as well, as even brilliant keepers do. I think we should be generally quite content with Oxley as our keeper just now.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 01:26 PM
They both made errors in Hibs jerseys as well, as even brilliant keepers do. I think we should be generally quite content with Oxley as our keeper just now.

:agree:

Mikey
11-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Like it or not he's here for the rest of the season so nit picking his every move isn't going to help his confidence. Do we want to turn him into the next Alex Harris?

The Sundance Kid
11-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Having watched the highlights again, am I the only one that feels that Cummings almost definitely doesn't get a touch on the second goal but rather Fontaine's header is helped in by the Falkirk defender and that it is a Hanlon own goal rather than Craig's?

IrnBru22
11-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Having watched the highlights again, am I the only one that feels that Cummings almost definitely doesn't get a touch on the second goal but rather Fontaine's header is helped in by the Falkirk defender and that it is a Hanlon own goal rather than Craig's?

watch the link i posted earlier, cummings defo gets a touch.

IrnBru22
11-01-2015, 05:40 PM
watch the link i posted earlier, cummings defo gets a touch.

infact now ive watched it again im not so sure haha

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Poor defending by the central defenders for all the goals, coupled by an uncertain keeper resulted in the loss of 3 very poor goals. :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
11-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Poor defending by the central defenders for all the goals, coupled by an uncertain keeper resulted in the loss of 3 very poor goals. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about both teams:greengrin

The Sundance Kid
11-01-2015, 05:49 PM
infact now ive watched it again im not so sure haha

Haha I was sure it was Cummings at first as well but the more I watch it the more I think it came off the Falkirk player instead. The fact Cummings didn't celebrate but just ran to Fontaine instead also made me think he didn't get a touch

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Are you talking about both teams:greengrin

:greengrin In all seriousness, some of the defending from both teams was like a sunday league game. We need to defend a lot better than that, but once again we are letting in goals that we should never concede while our competitors go further ahead of us when i keep hearing that we are the best team in this league.

What we are is an inconsistent team capable of some good displays.

Prof. Shaggy
11-01-2015, 06:36 PM

I agree it's unbelievably tight at the time the free-kick is taken. My take on Houston's account of the lines-person's :wink: explanation is that by time the Falkirk player flicks it on at the front of the box, the striker is clearly off-side. Which is why she asked the ref if no. 35 touched the ball.

Good work by the officials.....

Iain G
11-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Watching that, goal one should have been dealt with by Hanlon or Booth, why is Booth running away from the ball, I don't see why if he has seen the player drift in behind Hanlon he hasnt gone towards him?! Hanlon should have kept a better track of the run of Baird too.

Second, comedy of errors!

Third, I do think Oxley causes major problems as he half comes, then stops, then never gets back to the correct position and stuck in no mans land. If he had been in the correct position he could have rushed out and closed down or at least have a half chance of saving the shot, instead he's done the worst thing that keepers can do and show indicision and got stuck in completely the wrong position to do his job. He either comes for it or he stays, doing one then changing his mind is how to confuse the defence in front of him.

In saying that, he wasn't the worst keeper on show yesterday :greengrin:wink:

J-C
11-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Just watched the goals again and now think Oxley is being unfairly treated , even at the game I thought at least 2 goals were his fault.

Goal one is Hanlon and Booths fault, hanlon leaves the man and Booth never went to cover him.

Goal two is just bad defending in general with Craig attemptingsomething of a clearance which didn't work.

Goal three, Oxley does start to come but would never get there, Booth is standing in the LB position next to Stevenso, Hanlon and Fontaine have their man marked in the middle and the scorer is unmarked, Booth's fault.

LaMotta
11-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Just watched the goals again and now think Oxley is being unfairly treated , even at the game I thought at least 2 goals were his fault.

Goal one is Hanlon and Booths fault, hanlon leaves the man and Booth never went to cover him.

Goal two is just bad defending in general with Craig attemptingsomething of a clearance which didn't work.

Goal three, Oxley does start to come but would never get there, Booth is standing in the LB position next to Stevenso, Hanlon and Fontaine have their man marked in the middle and the scorer is unmarked, Booth's fault.

Agree with the first two but I think you might need to watch goal 3 again - It is Fontaine's man who scores after Fontaine gets attracted to the ball. No chance that can be Booth's fault. I know he was playing right back, but that doesn't mean that for the set up for defending free kicks he would necessarily be there.

J-C
11-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Agree with the first two but I think you might need to watch goal 3 again - It is Fontaine's man who scores after Fontaine gets attracted to the ball. No chance that can be Booth's fault. I know he was playing right back, but that doesn't mean that for the set up for defending free kicks he would necessarily be there.

Think they may all be at fault, just don't understamd why Booth the RB is on the left hand side of the box next to Stevensom, surely he's meant to cover the right of the defence.

Broken Gnome
11-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Issue with goal two is the way it just flopped in at next to no speed. If it drops in that apologetically, nowhere near the corner, I'd hope a keeper wouldn't just wave it in like Oxley did.

Soft thing No.1 out of ten soft things for each goal. Goal two was almost like amateur stuff when your teammate gets hit in the nads (Stevenson) and you're too busy laughing to pay attention to the next cross that comes in.