PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: STUBBS: A DRAW NOT ACCEPTABLE

RSS Bot
10-01-2015, 05:40 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5099)

Jim44
10-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Nothing like stating the obvious.

CallumLaidlaw
10-01-2015, 06:38 PM

Not sure what else you would expect him to say?

HoboHarry
10-01-2015, 06:39 PM

What should he have said then?

emerald green
10-01-2015, 06:48 PM
The defending in the second half was very poor.

Yet again, Hibs have come out and started the second half of a match appearing to be off the pace and sluggish, and seem to hand the initiative to the opposition. Both Falkirk goals scored in the first 20 minutes or so of the start of the second half. What happens at HT?

Talk about Hibs being in a seemingly unassailable position is naive in the extreme. A two goal lead is not enough if a team defends like it did today.

S4uzee
10-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Yet again, Hibs have come out and started the second half of a match appearing to be off the pace and sluggish, and seem to hand the initiative to the opposition. Both Falkirk goals scored in the first 20 minutes or so of the start of the second half. What happens at HT?

Talk about Hibs being in a seemingly unassailable position is naive in the extreme. A two goal lead is not enough if a team defends like it did today.
We came out for the 2nd half and should've been 4-1 up, didn't think off the pace

ALF TUPPER
10-01-2015, 06:51 PM

I missed his post match interview.

However, he seems spot on then. It's not acceptable to draw from being 3-1 up at half time.

rcarter1
10-01-2015, 06:53 PM
We came out for the 2nd half and should've been 4-1 up, didn't think off the pace

One way or another the team has been poor more often than not in the second half of games. If Im the manager, Im thinking I need to sort it out.

emerald green
10-01-2015, 06:54 PM

Should have been, but weren't. It wasn't just today I've noticed this. I've commented on this at several matches at ER.

Maybe it's just me, but it would be interesting to know how many goals Hibs have conceded in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half of matches this season. The 6-3 game at Dumbarton comes to mind when Hibs almost lost a 3-0 lead at HT.

Bishop Hibee
10-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Well said Stubbs. Must be frustrating for him having inherited dross and while improving on it not being able to make the clear out necessary to ensure promotion.

Jim44
10-01-2015, 07:26 PM
That result was worse than 'not acceptable'. It was disastrously bad. Are we getting false signals about where we are going? Like others, I thought we might be making a 'U' turn but maybe it's a 'Z' turn. If we are going to sniff an outside chance of promotion via the playoffs, disasters like today must stop. A draw is obviously better than a defeat, but in the context of where we are aiming for, a result like today is a staple in the coffin. Ok, we could carry on for the rest of the season, winning the odd game and drawing a lot and still crawl into the playoffs. IMHO however, if that's our route to the playoffs, we don't have a snowball's chance of success. I apologise to the two guys who asked me what Stubb's should have said, as I don't know. All I know is that 'bland comments' do nothing for me.

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Well said Stubbs. Must be frustrating for him having inherited dross and while improving on it not being able to make the clear out necessary to ensure promotion.

Had this very debate this week with someone who works in the game - his thoughts about Hibs were on the most part positive however he said that he still spotted frailties in players from pre Stubbs era.........when I asked what he meant he said that there was still a slight hesitancy on the ball from players like Craig, Robertson, Handling, etc.......the Stubbs players (as he called them) are all very quick, positive minded and forward thinking players........he also, rightly, pointed out that Hearts are doing well because Locke and Co blooded players early and also got them used to an environment where winning was expected regardless of position.......again he qualified that by saying that even last year Hearts had a squad that could and should have beaten the likes of Killie, ICT and co........as Hibs should have done too. But their younger players like Walker, Holt, McGhee, Nicolson, all got game time and all were allowed a degree of latitude because of off field things.

Stubbs has had 20 odd games which is nothing in terms of a season or first jobs in management - yet we are still in the cup and also in 3rd in the league. We have had two victories over The Rangers, resoundingly so, and played better than Hearts in all 3 of our encounters. The play is good, it's possession orientated and fast, and we create chances - we concede to easily defensively. We have really good options, we lack cover in areas such as full back and goalkeeper.

But again, let's be realistic - the club in August was a shambles - where we are now is light years from that and in a positive way. Stubs has changed the mindset for the majority - I'll again say this is how I envisaged the season would go, with games and results being wildly inconsistent - but I also said we would have a good cup run, as this side seems to thrive on the bigger games.

If we are drawing comparisons from last year and this and the type of person we have at Hibs - Clancy v Farid - here are two players who had injuries yet this season all I have seen is Farid behind the side when he is out, posting pics of his recuperation and saying positive things about coming back with 'the boys' and promoting the club - then there was Tim, a lad who talked his game on social media, you never heard him say how his injuries were progressing, nor did you ever get him saying when he would be back..........the lad was more interested in posting about boxing rather than getting really connected with the fans and club.

Hibs 3 Falkirk 3 is one game and one result in a long season ahead - fans should see beyond it and move on quickly to the next game. We dwell too much on the negative and not the positive. The style and brand of football is excellent, the management team equally so, fans are buying into the strategy.......for the first time in ages I see that we are heading in the right direction. We've played two SPL sides and remain unbeaten in 90 minutes (120 v Utd) and were a pen kick away from being in a semi in the LC.......

Come on guys........temper the emotion of a draw and look back at what we have come from in July/August.....for me the progress is immense and I love the direction we are going under AS.........today, if you were a neutral, you would come away entertained and saying that it was a fab game of football.....wasn't drab, both teams played good stuff on the deck, Hibs were certainly the better going forward, and it was end to end at one point. Fenlon and Butcher had us playing the worst football I've seen since Bertie Auld. I for one am just glad we are playing some right good stuff at times and look entertaining.

Pete
10-01-2015, 07:41 PM
That result was worse than 'not acceptable'. It was disastrously bad. Are we getting false signals about where we are going? Like others, I thought we might be making a 'U' turn but maybe it's a 'Z' turn. If we are going to sniff an outside chance of promotion via the playoffs, disasters like today must stop. A draw is obviously better than a defeat, but in the context of where we are aiming for, a result like today is a staple in the coffin. Ok, we could carry on for the rest of the season, winning the odd game and drawing a lot and still crawl into the playoffs. IMHO however, if that's our route to the playoffs, we don't have a snowball's chance of success. I apologise to the two guys who asked me what Stubb's should have said, as I don't know. All I know is that 'bland comments' do nothing for me.

I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be. I mean the game today and our outlook in general.

If a draw was "disastrously bad" then how would you have described a defeat?

PeterboroHibee
10-01-2015, 07:42 PM

I agree thats been a problem all season, but today we could have scored two goals right after half time - Boyle had an open goal which was a poor miss, and he was in a great chance to finish before Allan got in his way. The team seemed to collapse a bit after that.

hibees 7062
10-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Had this very debate this week with someone who works in the game - his thoughts about Hibs were on the most part positive however he said that he still spotted frailties in players from pre Stubbs era.........when I asked what he meant he said that there was still a slight hesitancy on the ball from players like Craig, Robertson, Handling, etc.......the Stubbs players (as he called them) are all very quick, positive minded and forward thinking players........he also, rightly, pointed out that Hearts are doing well because Locke and Co blooded players early and also got them used to an environment where winning was expected regardless of position.......again he qualified that by saying that even last year Hearts had a squad that could and should have beaten the likes of Killie, ICT and co........as Hibs should have done too. But their younger players like Walker, Holt, McGhee, Nicolson, all got game time and all were allowed a degree of latitude because of off field things.

Stubbs has had 20 odd games which is nothing in terms of a season or first jobs in management - yet we are still in the cup and also in 3rd in the league. We have had two victories over The Rangers, resoundingly so, and played better than Hearts in all 3 of our encounters. The play is good, it's possession orientated and fast, and we create chances - we concede to easily defensively. We have really good options, we lack cover in areas such as full back and goalkeeper.

But again, let's be realistic - the club in August was a shambles - where we are now is light years from that and in a positive way. Stubs has changed the mindset for the majority - I'll again say this is how I envisaged the season would go, with games and results being wildly inconsistent - but I also said we would have a good cup run, as this side seems to thrive on the bigger games.

If we are drawing comparisons from last year and this and the type of person we have at Hibs - Clancy v Farid - here are two players who had injuries yet this season all I have seen is Farid behind the side when he is out, posting pics of his recuperation and saying positive things about coming back with 'the boys' and promoting the club - then there was Tim, a lad who talked his game on social media, you never heard him say how his injuries were progressing, nor did you ever get him saying when he would be back..........the lad was more interested in posting about boxing rather than getting really connected with the fans and club.

Hibs 3 Falkirk 3 is one game and one result in a long season ahead - fans should see beyond it and move on quickly to the next game. We dwell too much on the negative and not the positive. The style and brand of football is excellent, the management team equally so, fans are buying into the strategy.......for the first time in ages I see that we are heading in the right direction. We've played two SPL sides and remain unbeaten in 90 minutes (120 v Utd) and were a pen kick away from being in a semi in the LC.......

Come on guys........temper the emotion of a draw and look back at what we have come from in July/August.....for me the progress is immense and I love the direction we are going under AS.........today, if you were a neutral, you would come away entertained and saying that it was a fab game of football.....wasn't drab, both teams played good stuff on the deck, Hibs were certainly the better going forward, and it was end to end at one point. Fenlon and Butcher had us playing the worst football I've seen since Bertie Auld. I for one am just glad we are playing some right good stuff at times and look entertaining.

:top marksGreat post

emerald green
10-01-2015, 07:53 PM
I agree thats been a problem all season, but today we could have scored two goals right after half time - Boyle had an open goal which was a poor miss, and he was in a great chance to finish before Allan got in his way. The team seemed to collapse a bit after that.

I agree, but the problem is we didn't take those chances, and I'm glad someone agrees that Hibs starts to the second half of matches has been a problem all season.

Boyle did everything right to create his chance but then missed an open goal. Maybe he just lacked that wee bit of composure and concentration. Possibly the thought went through his head that he was going to score on his home debut? Who knows, but if that had gone in I believe Hibs would have won.

The story of being a Hibs supporter - what if?

Jim44
10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be. I mean the game today and our outlook in general.

Is that a rhetorical question? If you want an answer, how about, ehm .......... Endgame. :greengrin

capitals_finest
10-01-2015, 07:56 PM

Excellent post.

horseflesh
10-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Good post and very interesting with regards to " pre Stubbs" players.
Certainly Craig, Robertson, Hanlon and Stevenson are still a large part of our squad - is it still possible they are struggling with confidence?
If so then they have move on, they as players would benefit most from going elsewhere

emerald green
10-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Hibs 3 Falkirk 3 is one game and one result in a long season ahead - fans should see beyond it and move on quickly to the next game. We dwell too much on the negative and not the positive.

I agree with a lot of what you say in your post, but this thread is about Alan Stubbs' reaction to today's result.

It's Alan Stubbs who is quoted as follows:

"To let them come away with a draw is just not acceptable from my point of view. We should have defended set pieces better. I expect players to take responsibility when there are set pieces, but they didn't. We didn't make the right decisions in the box and because of that they've scored from a couple of set pieces."

It's all very well seeing the bigger picture, which your post describes, but the fans and the head coach are equally aware that it's results that count right now and draws will not get this club out of this league.

Expecting Rain
10-01-2015, 08:16 PM

Accurate assessment.

Kavinho
10-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Top, top post. Fully agree with every word

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Certainly Craig, Robertson, Hanlon and Stevenson are still a large part of our squad - is it still possible they are struggling with confidence?
If so then they have move on, they as players would benefit most from going elsewhere

No mate, I'd say if anything they are gaining in confidence after a season of being told how bad they were..........mentally, psycholgically, etc......these players are really benefitting from a far far more positive coaching environment. I think he felt that players like McGeouch and Allan have that confident nature anyway and have come from teams where they have been told how good they are.......he watches a lot of games and his comments about Craig in particular struck a chord with me.

He said that Liam Craig is a player who he'd noticed 'plays to the mood of the crowd' - if the game is downbeat or indeed Hibs are losing, he said Craig plays a safe ball square 9 times out of 10. However if Hibs are winning and confident, he will take a chance and on occasion 'take a shot on'. He then said (same argument), 'then you have Cummings who could be playing in The Meadows and just doesn't give a **** and will shoot' :greengrin

Basically his argument was that Hibs should blot out the negative and indeed if the fans are restless and be utterly focused on the game - he felt the side still let the crowd rule their heads in decision making.

Cropley10
10-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Agree with every word of this.

Although I would add that Gray was a huge miss today. He's POTY for me and it showed.

Thought the new lads are both good additions to the squad too.

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Come on guys........temper the emotion of a draw and look back at what we have come from in July/August.....for me the progress is immense and I love the direction we are going under AS.........today, if you were a neutral, you would come away entertained and saying that it was a fab game of football.....wasn't drab, both teams played good stuff on the deck, Hibs were certainly the better going forward, and it was end to end at one point. Fenlon and Butcher had us playing the worst football I've seen since Bertie Auld. I for one am just glad we are playing some right good stuff at times and look entertaining.It's hard to disagree with any of your post tbh and I mostly agree with what you're saying, although we can do all the improving we want but at the end of the day we need to be beating the teams in this league, especially at home. Anything else is unacceptable if we're realistically trying to get out of this *****ty league.

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 08:38 PM
It's hard to disagree with any of your post tbh and I mostly agree with what you're saying, although we can do all the improving we want but at the end of the day we need to be beating the teams in this league, especially at home. Anything else is unacceptable if we're realistically trying to get out of this *****ty league.

Fine margins in this league as well as any - Sons apparently hit the woodwork three times at 1-0 today v Hearts........then Hearts get a second and have that nous and game savvy to get that killer third.

Boyle scores today at 3-1......tonights .net board would be a totally different arena :agree:

JimBHibees
10-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Very well said perspective needs to be taken into account.

rcarter1
10-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Excellent post, and no doubt today was a lot more entertaining than previous seasons. I have to say the pre Stubbs players do seem to be the ones who hesitate and lose focus. It happened in the recent Hearts game as well. Sometimes change is best all round, look at Harris scoring for Dundee. Looking forward to a full Alan Stubbs team before too long..

EastCalderHibby
10-01-2015, 08:49 PM

it feels like a defeat

truehibernian
10-01-2015, 09:02 PM
it feels like a defeat

It wasn't though and we are now one defeat in around 14 games - changed days from the last few seasons. Last week felt like a defeat for me as we outplayed Hearts......the Dundee United game on pens was a defeat yet I left upbeat and thinking 'we've turned a wee corner', then we trounced The Rangers 4-0.......this season has been great for me, in terms of the football, the goals, the attacking, and even the defeats. The only games this season I have been genuinely unhappy about performance wise were at Queens and away to Falkirk.......rest of the games we have merited at least a win/draw. Whereas last few seasons the football has been utterly grim and industrial to watch.

I go to games this season expecting and knowing we will score goals and good goals. Last few seasons I didn't go to games with the same hope. I've spent the last three seasons watching teams come to ER and play in our half most of the game and have most of the ball.

Of course the negative amongst the fans would say that is to be expected - but I'd counter that by saying I expected last season to have more of the ball at home (and away) than St Mirren, Ross County, 'Well, ICT etc........

The magic word is consistency - Hearts have it in abundance this year, we need to find it. But we will.

Gmack7
10-01-2015, 09:09 PM
👍

edinburghhibs
10-01-2015, 09:20 PM
The table and results (including todays) don't lie. We're huffing and puffing in the Championship ffs. We've played them 3 times and haven't won. They'll come to ER as champions, partying. Yet another humiliation we'll have to swallow. If results against QoS and Falkirk are anything to go by, we'll struggle in the playoffs. Stubbsy - you're correct - this isn't acceptable, and you need to do something about this pronto.

snedzuk
10-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Has this stubbs article been removed from the offical site? Cant seem to find it.

jacomo
10-01-2015, 11:59 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say in your post, but this thread is about Alan Stubbs' reaction to today's result.

It's Alan Stubbs who is quoted as follows:

"To let them come away with a draw is just not acceptable from my point of view. We should have defended set pieces better. I expect players to take responsibility when there are set pieces, but they didn't. We didn't make the right decisions in the box and because of that they've scored from a couple of set pieces."

It's all very well seeing the bigger picture, which your post describes, but the fans and the head coach are equally aware that it's results that count right now and draws will not get this club out of this league.

AS seems to be taking a very methodical, logical and competent approach. He realised that confidence was rock bottom when he arrived, and consequently the mentality of the team was poor, and so in his first few months he did everything to build his players up again - defending them even after poor results.

He addressed some obvious weaknesses in the squad and also signed a load of confident, technically able players with an attacking mindset and gave all of them a chance to claim a place in the starting 11 - and now he has more or less found his team.

He's praised the players when they've turned in a good performance even if we haven't won - e.g. hearts last week.

Now that confidence has returned and the team is playing well, he is turning the screw - and clearly starting to demand more from his players. He now has proof that they are capable of more, and can tell them so.

I hope and expect that we will continue to get stronger as the season develops. I think our Head Coach and his team know exactly what they are doing.

NAE NOOKIE
11-01-2015, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure what else AS is supposed to say in a situation like this ... stating the obvious is all he can do.

The next fixtures are Hibs v Cowdenbeath and Falkirk v QOTS followed by QOTS v Hibs and hearts v Falkirk. If we can win both these games we will definitely end up in a stronger position than we are now.

It was a poor result today, but the next fortnight gives us a chance to undo some of the damage. Lets hope we can do that.

Liberal Hibby
11-01-2015, 12:57 AM
AS seems to be taking a very methodical, logical and competent approach. He realised that confidence was rock bottom when he arrived, and consequently the mentality of the team was poor, and so in his first few months he did everything to build his players up again - defending them even after poor results.

He addressed some obvious weaknesses in the squad and also signed a load of confident, technically able players with an attacking mindset and gave all of them a chance to claim a place in the starting 11 - and now he has more or less found his team.

He's praised the players when they've turned in a good performance even if we haven't won - e.g. hearts last week.

Now that confidence has returned and the team is playing well, he is turning the screw - and clearly starting to demand more from his players. He now has proof that they are capable of more, and can tell them so.

I hope and expect that we will continue to get stronger as the season develops. I think our Head Coach and his team know exactly what they are doing.

Quite.

Thecat23
11-01-2015, 06:47 AM

Although I don't think we should be losing a 2 goal lead I fully agree with everything you have posted there. Well said bud!

07BigD
11-01-2015, 07:17 AM
He seemed to be raging in the interview, not something we usually see from him

spike220
11-01-2015, 07:36 AM

:agree::agree::agree:

Heedersnvolleys
11-01-2015, 07:37 AM

But he must take credit for even these players as they are like night and day from last season especially Robertson and Stevenson. To a lesser extent Craig but I do see the difference between the existing players and his own.

emerald green
11-01-2015, 09:49 AM

I agree, but the players must start turning draws into wins, starting next Saturday, and winning regularly. I really feel Hibs chucked it away yesterday and AS is rightly angry about that. The fans have every right to feel the same way too, but that doesn't make them bad supporters as others seem to suggest on this forum.

The alternative is at least another season in the Championship. Simply qualifying for the play-offs guarantees nothing. Hibs will be entering a dog fight if they do qualify (which I think they will, but not in 2nd place after yesterday's result) but draws will be no good then either if you see what I mean. :aok:

Borderhibbie76
11-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Anyone in any doubt if Stubbs is angry...watch his post match interview on Youtube..
he is clearly raging...perhaps as angry as ive seen him all season. Yes, we are very much still a work in progress and perhaps we all got a bit caried away after the Zombies win. What l have no doubts about is Stubbs is the man for the job and will get us back up...hopefully sooner rather than later.
As an aside, yesterday also shlwed how important David Gray is to the back 4 and we simply must sign a right back to cover his absence. Booth was woeful yesterday.

Keith_M
11-01-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm glad to see Stubbs considers yesterday's result unacceptable. We need high expectations or we'll achieve nothing.

TBF, I think Gray is a big loss to the side.

emerald green
11-01-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm glad to see Stubbs considers yesterday's result unacceptable. We need high expectations or we'll achieve nothing.

:agree: Gray was a big loss yesterday. That was glaringly obvious, but the team should not turn into a shambles defensively because one player is out injured.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Agreed but I do hope he actually does something about it and unlike other managers we have had makes some changes, for me we need 2 defenders in the transfer window, that is obvious on yesterdays performance.

southsider
11-01-2015, 10:28 AM
IMHO our problems today started with Oxley. He was a million miles away from the commanding keeper he was against The Gers. He flapped at then missed crosses and this spread to the rest of our defence. After Boyle's miss our midfield seemed to loose their way as well which allowed Falkirk back into a game in which they should have been dead and buried. We rallied late on but could not convert late chances. Still, we are a watching work in progress and can, i believe, win the play-offs.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Excellent work, sir, if indeed you are a sir!

I recognise your point about hesitancy and I commented on it a couple of times yesterday.

On one occasion, I noticed someone take an extra touch and look in 2 minds instead of playing a quick easy ball. (I can't remember who it was though).

I also noticed Booth losing confidence after their second goal and his decision making became much slower.

Out of the pre-Stubbs players who seems to be very positive, decisive and full of confidence is Lewis Stevenson. I thought he had another excellent game yesterday.

Stevie Reid
11-01-2015, 11:33 AM

Yesterday's result was disastrously bad?! Deary me.

emerald green
11-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Calling it "disastrously bad" is a bit OTT, but what I'm saying is that drawing games is why Hibs are where they are in the table. 3rd at the moment, and potentially 4th if QOS win their game in hand, with Falkirk just 3 points behind. That's not good IMO.

It could potentially be "disastrous" however if drawing too many games means Hibs do not qualify for the play offs at the end of the season. I'm obviously hoping that doesn't happen.

Expecting Rain
11-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Still feel that Hibs need at least 5 players to be on the same level as the likes of Aberdeen. I think it is a matter of time

Stevie Reid
11-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Calling it "disastrously bad" is a bit OTT, but what I'm saying is that drawing games is why Hibs are where they are in the table. 3rd at the moment, and potentially 4th if QOS win their game in hand, with Falkirk just 3 points behind. That's not good IMO.

It could potentially be "disastrous" however if drawing too many games means Hibs do not qualify for the play offs at the end of the season. I'm obviously hoping that doesn't happen.

It will be a disaster if we don't qualify for the play offs. However, yesterday's result kept the team that are likely to be the only other challengers for a top four finish 3 points behind us (effectively four points, with goal difference as it is).

It is bitterly disappointing to lose a two goal lead at home, but looking at the result objectively, it's really not that bad at all.

Billy Whizz
11-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Has this stubbs article been removed from the offical site? Cant seem to find it.

It has, wonder who took it down, as I haven't had time to read it yet

Jim44
11-01-2015, 12:50 PM

It's all relative. I see yesterday's result as yet another symptom of our malaise - unnecessarily dropping too many points and showing little sign of consistently winning matches ( which we are highly capable of for the rest of the season). As I've already said, that is not the route to the playoffs and even if we somehow did manage to get there, it's certainly not the performance likely to lead to success in the playoffs.

silverhibee
11-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Is that a rhetorical question? If you want an answer, how about, ehm .......... Endgame. :greengrin

I was going to say "another nail in the coffin". :greengrin

Stevie Reid
11-01-2015, 12:53 PM
It's all relative. I see yesterday's result as yet another symptom of our malaise - unnecessarily dropping too many points and showing little sign of consistently winning matches ( which we are highly capable of for the rest of the season). As I've already said, that is not the route to the playoffs and even if we somehow did manage to get there, it's certainly not the performance likely to lead to success in the playoffs.

But it is the route to the play offs. We are currently in the play off places.

smurf
11-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Exactly what we'd want our manager to say. In Stubbs we trust.

Jim44
11-01-2015, 01:38 PM
I was going to say "another nail in the coffin". :greengrin

If you look back, you'll see I used the term 'staple in the coffin' as, even a pessimistic old fart like me has not given up completely on promotion but think it's unlikely with the serial point dropping we're too guilty of. :greengrin

silverhibee
11-01-2015, 01:41 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5099)

No Freedom of speech for Mr Stubbs.

Why has the interview been removed.

Heisenberg
11-01-2015, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRrO0Yx_7JQ

Ronniekirk
11-01-2015, 01:51 PM
K
If you look back, you'll see I used the term 'staple in the coffin' as, even a pessimistic old fart like me has not given up completely on promotion but think it's unlikely with the serial point dropping we're too guilty of. :greengrin
I am more of a glass half empty type ,but I think it's clear Stubbs is improving us and that we are more than capable of retaining our top four spot now that we have finally got there .Yep home draws are hurting us ,and that's still something he needs to work out re what is happening in second halfs of games . is it a confidence hangover that some players that were there last season can't shake off , I have no idea ,but it is a factor that must come into other teams thinking and give them confidence ,as its now happenening on too many occasions ..Was hoping to start the new year with that behind us ,but let's see how we go over the next few home games .
The play offs are to far away as all teams will need to see how injuries ,suspensions form and crucially fitness take there toll .Lets hope all our new Backroom staff and equipment are used to make sure our players are in better condition than our opponents ,that may be one area where we can steal a March on our opponents whoever that may be .

silverhibee
11-01-2015, 01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRrO0Yx_7JQ

Reminds me of a interview Tony Mowbray gave many years a go after a cup game down at Ayr, and we won that game as well. :greengrin

Ronniekirk
11-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Reminds me of a interview Tony Mowbray gave many years a go after a cup game down at Ayr, and we won that game as well. :greengrin

He sounded frustrated and angry Too many players just weren't at it , no one took responsibility at set pieces to go and attack the ball And I am sick fed up of drawing games we should of won are some. Quotes . He must of Been really down ,as he didn't talk up some of the good forward play and movement .
He also made it clear that if we let standards slip we run risk of letting teams back into games .

the question is what can he do about it and we won't find that out till Cowdenbeath game Bring it on as surely he must get a reaction from the players after that .

AlbertK86
11-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Just watched the interview and delighted to see his obvious ire at the players who never took responsibility at the goals conceded.

Looks like he will give them it tight and rightly so

Might also convince the board to allow him to bring in some of his own first picks to bolster our defence

I said to the boys before the game that With no defenders on the bench yesterday it shows how badly we're stretched and psychologically with nobody pushing them for a place complacency may set in

Gray was a massive miss not just for his defensive and attacking qualities but for his leadership in driving the team forward. Should be captain and hopefully will be next season as the current incumbent although having improved playing wise lately does not have the drive that Gray has .... especially when we have been pegged back or are up against it

rcarter1
11-01-2015, 02:58 PM
He sounded frustrated and angry Too many players just weren't at it , no one took responsibility at set pieces to go and attack the ball And I am sick fed up of drawing games we should of won are some. Quotes . He must of Been really down ,as he didn't talk up some of the good forward play and movement .
He also made it clear that if we let standards slip we run risk of letting teams back into games .

the question is what can he do about it and we won't find that out till Cowdenbeath game Bring it on as surely he must get a reaction from the players after that .

Stubbs is moving us in the right direction, but our lack of focus/composure has been our achilles heel most of the season. He needs to start by keeping his cool, and then in a positive manner, get the players to keep theirs. I genuinely think we are still carrying a handful of 'broken' footballers who lose heart very quickly. I hope we get another big change in personnel in the summer.

jacomo
11-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Still feel that Hibs need at least 5 players to be on the same level as the likes of Aberdeen. I think it is a matter of time

I had a little cry when I looked at the Premiership table this morning. Celtic are stale and a little directionless, Aberdeen are taking full advantage because maybe, just maybe, there's an opportunity to break the OF stranglehold this season.

Instead we are where we are, with the ugliest pair in Scottish football.

jacomo
11-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Stubbs is moving us in the right direction, but our lack of focus/composure has been our achilles heel most of the season. He needs to start by keeping his cool, and then in a positive manner, get the players to keep theirs. I genuinely think we are still carrying a handful of 'broken' footballers who lose heart very quickly. I hope we get another big change in personnel in the summer.

He's backed the players to the hilt, but we are playing for high stakes here. The players get huge backing from the coaching team, I think occasionally a few harsh truths need to be pointed out to them.

Stevie Reid
11-01-2015, 10:48 PM
I had a little cry when I looked at the Premiership table this morning. Celtic are stale and a little directionless, Aberdeen are taking full advantage because maybe, just maybe, there's an opportunity to break the OF stranglehold this season.

Instead we are where we are, with the ugliest pair in Scottish football.

Even more depressing that McInnes, as he was unemployed before Aberdeen got him, is probably on a lower salary than Butcher was. Throw in the compensation we paid for the terrible trio, and it's enough to make you greet.