spurshibby
10-01-2015, 03:10 PM
alex harris scores for dundee:thumbsup:

Lee Marvin
10-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Good news. Hope he excels over this period

hibsbollah
10-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Really pleased for him. Hopefully the loan will be the boost he needs.

Jones28
10-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Alex Harris described as some player by spence on sportsound!

col02
10-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Good for the lad, long may it continue!

hibsbollah
10-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Deflected apparently. Will help his confidence whatever.

grunt
10-01-2015, 04:58 PM
man of the match apparently.

Thecat23
10-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Good to read he played well.

Stevie Reid
10-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Delighted to hear he's playing well.

basehibby
10-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Great to hear - but why oh why was he unable to do it for Hibs over the last season and a half :confused:

Alfred E Newman
10-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Great to hear - but why oh why was he unable to do it for Hibs over the last season and a half :confused:

He maybe follows this message board.

JackFlash68
10-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Alright folks. Alex was good again today. He got MOM from the sponsors which I thought was generous. Played well, though. Very positive and his passing was quick and crisp. Streets ahead of Boyle in his distribution. He looks a great addition for the dee and for the Hibs when he goes back to Easter Rd. Thomson was very good as well.

JackFlash68
10-01-2015, 06:44 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30663705

emerald green
10-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Why am I not surprised, yet he's not kicked a ball for Hibs for months. :confused:

Spike Mandela
10-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Why am I not surprised, yet he's not kicked a ball for Hibs for months. :confused:

Playing in a better league, better team with a better manager perhaps?:tin hat::a bite:

emerald green
10-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Playing in a better league, better team with a better manager perhaps?:tin hat::a bite:

I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the lower half of the Premiership (where Dundee sit) & the top half of the Championship TBH.

I don't think Dundee are a better team than Hibs. This is a team who were destroyed 6-2 the other week in their local derby by Dundee Utd. A team Hibs matched all the way in a 3-3 draw recently.

Paul Hartley or Alan Stubbs? Are you saying Hartley takes credit after just two games Harris has played for Dundee?

Iain G
10-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Alright folks. Alex was good again today. He got MOM from the sponsors which I thought was generous. Played well, though. Very positive and his passing was quick and crisp. Streets ahead of Boyle in his distribution. He looks a great addition for the dee and for the Hibs when he goes back to Easter Rd. Thomson was very good as well.

I assume he is playing wide in a traditional wingers role for Dundee? With Stubbs playing the diamond in midfield there isnt a natural winger role for Harris. Boyle today could play through the middle and move wide as he wanted, a role less suuted to Harris perhaps at the moment?

emerald green
10-01-2015, 07:31 PM

Can I ask if Alex looked OK going into any 50/50 tackles today, if any?

JackFlash68
10-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I assume he is playing wide in a traditional wingers role for Dundee? With Stubbs playing the diamond in midfield there isnt a natural winger role for Harris. Boyle today could play through the middle and move wide as he wanted, a role less suuted to Harris perhaps at the moment?

He played wide right in the 1st half then centrally in the 2nd. He was always looking for the the ball and tried to be positive whenever in possession. I get the feeling on here that he's a confidence player so he'll be tested next week at Pitoddrie in his first away game.

He obviously wasn't doing it for Hibs, but we're all a bit baffled why a good player like that ended up with us.

JackFlash68
10-01-2015, 08:41 PM
I can't mind him being in any tbh. It wasn't that sort of game. We came out the traps pretty rapid and Well just crumbled. They're the worst side we've played this season. Really really poor.

silverhibee
10-01-2015, 08:41 PM

:confused:

emerald green
10-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I can't mind him being in any tbh. It wasn't that sort of game. We came out the traps pretty rapid and Well just crumbled. They're the worst side we've played this season. Really really poor.

OK cheers for that JackFlash. Well done on your teams result today.

DaveF
10-01-2015, 08:45 PM
He played wide right in the 1st half then centrally in the 2nd. He was always looking for the the ball and tried to be positive whenever in possession. I get the feeling on here that he's a confidence player so he'll be tested next week at Pitoddrie in his first away game.

He obviously wasn't doing it for Hibs, but we're all a bit baffled why a good player like that ended up with us.

You answered your own question - He simply wasn't doing it for us and I hope this is exactly the spell he needs to get his confidence and belief back in himself. There is most certainly a good player in there, and I hope we see him at ER next season fresh, confident and raring to go.

ArmadaleHibs
10-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Young Harris has as much potential as any of the young kids over the last several years at easter road. Probably more to be honest. This move to dundee gives the young guy a much needed break away from easter road. A lot of negativity and shambolic going ons has happened in the last couple of years at our club and it's probably dented the confidence of someone like harris more than some of the experienced players. This added to his injury and a lot of (not always to be fair) harsh things said about him on here have all culminated in the player we've had in the last several months. Building confidence where the expectations are less might just be the perfect thing for him. It could be like signing a new player if he returns with a spring in his step in the summer. Good move by stubbsy

GGTTH

JackFlash68
10-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Young Harris has as much potential as any of the young kids over the last several years at easter road. Probably more to be honest. This move to dundee gives the young guy a much needed break away from easter road. A lot of negativity and shambolic going ons has happened in the last couple of years at our club and it's probably dented the confidence of someone like harris more than some of the experienced players. This added to his injury and a lot of (not always to be fair) harsh things said about him on here have all culminated in the player we've had in the last several months. Building confidence where the expectations are less might just be the perfect thing for him. It could be like signing a new player if he returns with a spring in his step in the summer. Good move by stubbsy

GGTTH

He'll get plenty of negativity and shambolic goings on at Dens anyway. I'm sure it's our club motto!

ArmadaleHibs
10-01-2015, 08:59 PM
He'll get plenty of negativity and shambolic goings on at Dens anyway. I'm sure it's our club motto!

By the way I didn't mean your clubs expectations are low (that would be rude) or anything I just meant on Alex harris as an individual

Hedlund12
10-01-2015, 09:11 PM

spot on....

emerald green
10-01-2015, 09:23 PM

How strange. According to some posters on Hibs.net it's only Hibs supporters who are "negative".

Iain G
10-01-2015, 09:25 PM

How did he look playing in a more central position?

JackFlash68
10-01-2015, 09:46 PM
How did he look playing in a more central position?

He was very composed and was spreading the ball to the flanks. There was tonnes of room in midfield with Well being down to 10 men so it was maybe a bit hard to judge.

Iain G
10-01-2015, 09:54 PM
He was very composed and was spreading the ball to the flanks. There was tonnes of room in midfield with Well being down to 10 men so it was maybe a bit hard to judge.

Well given Stubbs isnt playin with wingers, if he can adapt his game to playing through the middle it will improve his chances of getting a game when he gets back ;)

Argylehibby
10-01-2015, 09:56 PM
How strange. According to some posters on Hibs.net it's only Hibs supporters who are "negative".

How strange. A player who gets pelters from his own fans goes somewhere else, gets none or maybe even gets encouragement and starts to play to his potential. Maybe, just maybe, the same issue applies to all clubs I.e. Encourage rather than abuse your players and they will play better. We want the team / club to be better than the competition but it's ok for us the fans just to be the same as those of other clubs.

I don't think I've ever read any post on here saying we are the only supporters that are negative. The only people that trot anything like that are those who won't consider that abusing the players doesn't have a negative impact on their performance despite all the evidence to the contrary.

DaveF
10-01-2015, 10:03 PM
How strange. A player who gets pelters from his own fans goes somewhere else, gets none or maybe even gets encouragement and starts to play to his potential. Maybe, just maybe, the same issue applies to all clubs I.e. Encourage rather than abuse your players and they will play better. We want the team / club to be better than the competition but it's ok for us the fans just to be the same as those of other clubs.

I don't think I've ever read any post on here saying we are the only supporters that are negative. The only people that trot anything like that are those who won't consider that abusing the players doesn't have a negative impact on their performance despite all the evidence to the contrary.

I largely agree with that, although in the case of Harris, he had plenty of encouragement from the stands on his return and possibly too much faith shown in him by our then management and it simply wasn't happening for him at ER.

I'd argue that it wasn't so much pelters from the stands which contributed to his poor performances, but more so complete mismanagement of his injury and rehabilitation which led to the situation we find now.

Argylehibby
10-01-2015, 10:16 PM
I largely agree with that, although in the case of Harris, he had plenty of encouragement from the stands on his return and possibly too much faith shown in him by our then management and it simply wasn't happening for him at ER.

I'd argue that it wasn't so much pelters from the stands which contributed to his poor performances, but more so complete mismanagement of his injury and rehabilitation which led to the situation we find now.

Dave, I think everyone knows the role the previous management team had in AH's loss of form but we all know how good he was before the injury yet there were people in the stands calling him useless when he wasn't back ripping teams apart within a few weeks of getting back in the team. Surely that's when we should have been at our most supportive?

silverhibee
10-01-2015, 10:20 PM

My thoughts too.

Bad naughty Dundee fans, dreadful in this day in age. :wink: :greengrin

DaveF
10-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Dave, I think everyone knows the role the previous management team had in AH's loss of form but we all know how good he was before the injury yet there were people in the stands calling him useless when he wasn't back ripping teams apart within a few weeks of getting back in the team. Surely that's when we should have been at our most supportive?

That wasn't my experience. Harris had plenty of support and encouragement and I'd say it was after a long run of games where was he was, in all honesty, an empty jersey that fans started to get on his back. You also have to factor in our team was sinking without trace, we were losing games left, right and centre therefore patience was extremely thin on the ground with everyone and anyone.

That said, I'm not too concerned with the past. If Alex can re-discover a love for the game and an appetite to do well, then all the better for us next season.

Argylehibby
10-01-2015, 10:33 PM
That said, I'm not too concerned with the past. If Alex can re-discover a love for the game and an appetite to do well, then all the better for us next season.

No argument on that one Dave

weonlywon6-2
10-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Change is good as a rest for harris,good luck to him

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-01-2015, 12:04 AM
I think Butcher is far more to blame than us for what happened to Alex last year. We all wanted him to do well but it was up to Butcher to manage him better and drop him when he was massively off form. Publicly telling him that he was being removed from the first team squad for the remainder of the season, then starting him two weeks later was ridiculous as well. As was dropping him from the Hamilton return game, bringing him on after 7 minutes, then subbing him again. Ridiculous management.

I thought Boyle looked good today. Just so frustrating that his shot went inches wide at 3-1. Reckon he was scoring if Allan hadn't tackled him as well

Thecat23
11-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Change is good as a rest for harris,good luck to him

This... I said way last year he needed loaned! I don't rate him right now but that's because he simply wasn't doing it. If he can prove it at Dundee then it will only be good for us. Hartley's man management is meant to be great and that's from Scott Bain their keeper.

dp00
11-01-2015, 12:22 AM

Or listened to the constant abuse he got from the stands when he made a mistake

Tyler Durden
11-01-2015, 01:26 AM

Who cares?

He could score a hat trick and there would be Hibs fans asking if he won 50/50s.

How many did Latapy win?

Get a grip

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Who cares?

He could score a hat trick and there would be Hibs fans asking if he won 50/50s.

How many did Latapy win?

Get a grip

I can see where the question came from - although it's maybe not his job to go looking for and win 50/50s it's definitely not his job to jump out the way of them.

emerald green
11-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Slow up mate. I think you have misunderstood my post. Either that or I've not made my point very well.

I agree it's better to encourage rather than abuse players. My argument is that Hibs supporters are no better and certainly no worse than supporters of football clubs generally. Unfortunately, there are some folk who will give players a load of stick if, in their opinion, that player is playing poorly. I'm not sure that's something that's going to end soon. I've heard that stuff at football grounds all over the world!

There are posters on this forum who do criticise the Hibs support in general for their perceived lack of support and negativity, and it's that I disagree with.

emerald green
11-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Who cares?

How many did Latapy win?

Get a grip

Who cares? Eh, I do mate.

One of the things I feel that might have been holding Alex Harris back after his bad injury was the possibility that he was worried about the possibility of aggravating the same injury, and thus was avoiding tackles. If you do that as a footballer, you are going to potentially come off second best.

I'm not expecting Alex to go into crunching tackles against much bigger and stronger guys like Shades used to do. He hasn't got the strength and physique for starters. But at the end of the day, no matter what position you play, a player will be faced with this situation and tackles have to be made. Go in half heartedly and you will get hurt. If you have played football, I think you will know what I mean.

I'd be delighted to see Alex score a hat trick for Hibs BTW.

Winston Ingram
11-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Absolutely no surprise to me Harris is doing well. A blind man could see the ability this boy has.

Getting some games and away from the wee fannies that abuse him in the East will be perfect for his confidence.

Nevi_SOL
11-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Absolutely no surprise to me Harris is doing well. A blind man could see the ability this boy has.

Getting some games and away from the wee fannies that abuse him in the East will be perfect for his confidence.

This.

HH81
11-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Do people seriously think Harris has underpeformed for about a year is down to the fans?

TheFamous1875
11-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Do people seriously think Harris has underpeformed for about a year is down to the fans?

Nothing's as simple as that. His underperformance has been down to a mix of the demand set upon him by the club, the fans, and the manager when he broke through. He was touted to be our new talisman, replacing the very different and more befitting Leigh Griffiths which was just terrible management in my opinion of a precarious potential that should've been eased into the professional game and protected. His horrific injury would've set back his confidence and made him more cautious. His rushed entry back into Butcher's team as the 'saviour' which he understandably underwhelmed was another disaster which only stunted his development further. That, coupled with years of underachievement and complacency from the club, leading to pessimism from the terraces to the training centre is why promising laddies like Harris are more susceptible to failing than progressing. I'm hoping this first year under the new regime will see a stop to this potential waste of talent.

Winston Ingram
11-01-2015, 08:28 PM

Has anyone said that?

I think his confidence & form took a knock through firstly the injury, then the way Butcher & Malpas treated him. As his form dipped, the fans piled in.

The fans weren't the cause but have certainly played a huge part in his confidence not returning

Deansy
11-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Absolutely delighted for Alex Harris, I really hope this brings out the player we all know he can be !

Billy Whizz
12-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Anyone know if he'll be available for the play offs for Hibs?

Smartie
12-01-2015, 01:37 PM
I suspect the magnificent fans who are now showing Alex Harris support were getting a bit frustrated with Martin Boyle - and showing it.

I'm delighted to see Harris doing well, delighted to see Boyle doing well. 2 managers with a bit of savvy have managed to cook up a win-win situation, good on them.

There's no need for us to turn this into another episode of self-flagellation.

superfurryhibby
12-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Who cares? Eh, I do mate.

One of the things I feel that might have been holding Alex Harris back after his bad injury was the possibility that he was worried about the possibility of aggravating the same injury, and thus was avoiding tackles. If you do that as a footballer, you are going to potentially come off second best.

I'm not expecting Alex to go into crunching tackles against much bigger and stronger guys like Shades used to do. He hasn't got the strength and physique for starters. But at the end of the day, no matter what position you play, a player will be faced with this situation and tackles have to be made. Go in half heartedly and you will get hurt. If you have played football, I think you will know what I mean.

I'd be delighted to see Alex score a hat trick for Hibs BTW.

Totally agree about the need for committment in any tackle. Half-Hearted approaches will always come off worse. The other thing to bear in mind is that there is a degree of technique involved. In a block tackle a smaller man can come away with the ball if they time their intervention and have the right shape. It is a skill to use the other guys momentum and win that ball.

From what I've seen of him, Harris main assets are his pace and drive, he's not the most skillful player technically. If he fails to compete for the ball then he becomes a bit of a luxury. If he gets the foot in when circumstances demand it and shows some courage, the fans will appreciate the effort, even if it doesn't always come off for him.

A good start for him at Dundee. I really hope it comes off for him and we see him back at ER, fulfilling his potential.

12-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Delighted to see him doing well. I'd been saying for ages that he needed to go out somewhere on loan where he could get regular game time and hopefully improve his experience, fitness and confidence. Theres definatly a player in there, we seen some of the things he is capable of the first season he broke into the team, unfortunately since his lengthy time out injured he never really looked the same. Hopefully though this loan spell brings out the old Harris again.

emerald green
12-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Totally agree about the need for committment in any tackle. Half-Hearted approaches will always come off worse. The other thing to bear in mind is that there is a degree of technique involved. In a block tackle a smaller man can come away with the ball if they time their intervention and have the right shape. It is a skill to use the other guys momentum and win that ball.

From what I've seen of him, Harris main assets are his pace and drive, he's not the most skillful player technically. If he fails to compete for the ball then he becomes a bit of a luxury. If he gets the foot in when circumstances demand it and shows some courage, the fans will appreciate the effort, even if it doesn't always come off for him.

A good start for him at Dundee. I really hope it comes off for him and we see him back at ER, fulfilling his potential.

:agree: :aok: