PDA

View Full Version : Postponements

Irish_Steve
10-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Why is the wind never taking into consideration - Oxley will be able to clear Arthur`s Seat today with that gale behind him. Think it`s gonna be brutal viewing today!

The_Exile
10-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Ross County game is off, hate the wind, especially when it's a sub zero wind chill, nightmare!

emerald green
10-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I posted on another thread that there should be a winter shutdown from after the New Year fixtures for about 4-6 weeks say, as a compromise, rather than switching completely to summer football.

It's much harder to play decent attractive football in conditions like we're having just now. It also brings better teams down to lower teams' level IMO if a game is trying to be played in farcical weather conditions.

Irish_Steve
10-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Panic over, sun`s oot again lol

cabbageandribs1875
10-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Raith Rovers v Q.o.S postponed

Match postponed due to a risk to player safety following a 10:15 GMT pitch inspection.
A statement from the Kirkcaldy club said "80% of the pitch is playable but some areas are saturated".

Alfred E Newman
10-01-2015, 11:11 AM
I posted on another thread that there should be a winter shutdown from after the New Year fixtures for about 4-6 weeks say, as a compromise, rather than switching completely to summer football.

It's much harder to play decent attractive football in conditions like we're having just now. It also brings better teams down to lower teams' level IMO if a game is trying to be played in farcical weather conditions.

It's ok if you can predict the weather. Last year we had no winter at all. You could shut down for 6weeks and find yourself snowed under in March. Common sense when it comes to postponements is the answer I think , that includes allowing for strong winds.

emerald green
10-01-2015, 11:21 AM
It's ok if you can predict the weather. Last year we had no winter at all. You could shut down for 6weeks and find yourself snowed under in March. Common sense when it comes to postponements is the answer I think , that includes allowing for strong winds.

I agree with what you say. They are good points.

My suggestion was a compromise, because there doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this issue. It has been debated before many times I'm sure. As you say, the weather can be fine in January & February then horrendous in March. The Scottish climate is as we all know very unpredictable.

I just don't think we see decent football in weather like we're having just now, and your point about strong winds is correct.

There is also the greater potential for injuries to players if games go ahead in certain weather conditions.