PDA

View Full Version : Referees to get 20% pay rise

--------
10-01-2015, 10:33 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30754145

Notice the photo they choose to illustrate it .....

Who was that ref?

GordonHFC
10-01-2015, 11:23 AM
So can we expect a 20% increase in **** decisions?

emerald green
10-01-2015, 11:37 AM
I didn't know they got £840 for refereeing an SPFL match. Not too bad.

Flanny boy
10-01-2015, 11:58 AM
More than enough IMHO

Keith_M
10-01-2015, 12:01 PM

More than enough IMHO

I expect you know already but, that's for a 'Premiership' game only. It's a big drop in money for Championship matches.

(apologies if you already got the difference between SPFL and Premiership)

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2015, 12:02 PM

More than the vast majority of the players in the spl.

GreenCastle
10-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Should be performance related pay

emerald green
10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I expect you know already but, that's for a 'Premiership' game only. It's a big drop in money for Championship matches.

(apologies of you already got the difference between SPFL and Premiership)

Yep, I did mean to say Premiership. :rolleyes: Well spotted! Still very good money IMHO.

grunt
10-01-2015, 12:07 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30754145

Notice the photo they choose to illustrate it .....
They must have had hundreds of photos of refs to choose from, yet they decide to go with one sending off a Hibs player.

snooky
10-01-2015, 12:09 PM

And don't forget their sponsorship monies (e.g. Specsavers) & their annual 'retainers' from the Old Firm. :whistle: :stirrer:

emerald green
10-01-2015, 12:09 PM
They must have had hundreds of photos of refs to choose from, yet they decide to go with one sending off a Hibs player.

Who just happens to be refereeing Hibs game today. Pure coincidence of course.

Keith_M
10-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Yep, I did mean to say Premiership. :rolleyes: Well spotted! Still very good money IMHO.

:aok:

snooky
10-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Only surprise, it isn't CT in the photo. They must have loads of him giving cards to us.
A Compliance Officer probably chose the photo so don't worry, the SFA will remove it next week. :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
10-01-2015, 12:33 PM
didn't realise they don't even get £200 for a championship match, that's really pretty poor imo

Flanny boy
10-01-2015, 12:35 PM

(apologies if you already got the difference between SPFL and Premiership)
I know that keekaboo.still very good money they get for a top flight game eh mate

Eyrie
10-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Surprised by the difference between the top flight and the second tier, even allowing for the fact that this will be a legacy issue and thus unaffected by the presence of three of Scotland's five biggest teams in the "champion"ship.

Craig Thomson would be in debt for the rest of his life after just one Hibs game.

Since90+2
10-01-2015, 12:50 PM
£840 per Premiership game!? That is mental.

How can they justify paying a ref more than most Premiership players? In some games (for instance Hamilton v Ross County) the ref would be on more than every player on the park. Disgrace.

Hibby Bairn
10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Imo matches should be categorised and fees set against them accordingly. For example Hearts v Hibs would be a category A no matter which division it was played in whereas Partick v Ross County would be a category B or even C.

Category A games would attract a higher fee.

Btw not sure how much EPL refs are paid but how that wasn't a pen to Liverpool I have no idea !!

Speedy
10-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Imo matches should be categorised and fees set against them accordingly. For example Hearts v Hibs would be a category A no matter which division it was played in whereas Partick v Ross County would be a category B or even C.

Category A games would attract a higher fee.

Btw not sure how much EPL refs are paid but how that wasn't a pen to Liverpool I have no idea !!

Agree to an extent, Hibs v Hearts should be cat A but division should have an impact on category as Premiership is a bit more high profile (e.g. Partick v Dundee in the Premiership may be B whereas Partick v Dundee in Championship may be a C).

As it stands I don't think the huge jump between Championship and Premiership games is fair.

jacomo
10-01-2015, 04:34 PM
£840 per Premiership game!? That is mental.

How can they justify paying a ref more than most Premiership players? In some games (for instance Hamilton v Ross County) the ref would be on more than every player on the park. Disgrace.

Why is that a disgrace?

The game needs good referees, and players should have respect for officials. I don't have a problem with paying good money if we get good referees.

jacomo
10-01-2015, 04:35 PM

In a way it is, because theoretically if a ref does a bad job they get dropped from officiating Premiership games and their income will fall dramatically.

Since90+2
10-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Why is that a disgrace?

The game needs good referees, and players should have respect for officials. I don't have a problem with paying good money if we get good referees.

And you think we get good referees??

jacomo
10-01-2015, 04:56 PM
And you think we get good referees??

No, I think they are mostly mediocre. But then so are most of the players.

Since90+2
10-01-2015, 05:02 PM
No, I think they are mostly mediocre. But then so are most of the players.

The fans are paying to see the players though , not the Ref.

The fact our referees earn more than the average player in the top tier of our game is a joke. And take into consideration the ref earns £840 for about 4 hours work , at least the players are in working 5 days a week.

Speedy
10-01-2015, 05:07 PM
The fans are paying to see the players though , not the Ref.

The fact our referees earn more than the average player in the top tier of our game is a joke. And take into consideration the ref earns £840 for about 4 hours work , at least the players are in working 5 days a week.

I'm sure that's not true. No doubt they'll have to put a lot of personal time in to stay up to date and in condition to referee. And as someone says, they'll not always be earning top money unless they perform well.

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Why is that a disgrace?

When do we start to get them?

And normally you earn respect don't you?

Since90+2
10-01-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm sure that's not true. No doubt they'll have to put a lot of personal time in to stay up to date and in condition to referee. And as someone says, they'll not always be earning top money unless they perform well.

Ok.

Let's be generous and say they work an additional full days work during the week to earn there £840. That's a day and a half a week to earn over 800 quid or about £44,000 a year. Pro rata they will be among the best paid people in the country.

That is ridiculous.

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Keith_M
11-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I know that keekaboo.still very good money they get for a top flight game eh mate

:agree:

Not bad for a half day's work

Smartie
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
The pay could be anything and you wouldn't catch me wanting to do it.

It is bloody difficult to referee games. Given the profile that goes with being a "top" referee in Scotland I think the pay is about right.

Obviously a few of them could do better at times but the criticism they get for getting honest 50/50 judgement calls wrong in real time is grossly unfair.