PDA

View Full Version : Steve Marsella

Lago
08-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Marsella joining Lennon at Bolton in a scouting role. Obviously still highly regarded.

Keith_M
08-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Good, another one off the wage bill.

Kato
08-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Marsella joining Lennon at Bolton in a scouting role. Obviously still highly rotund.

fixed

Jim44
08-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Wage thief.

Lago
08-01-2015, 11:45 AM
How sure are you he was still on the wage bill?

Pete
08-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Marsella joining Lennon at Bolton in a scouting role. Obviously still highly regarded.

He was part of the three way dream team at ICT and I think Butcher and Malpas will find it hard to replicate any sort of success they had without him. Ach well.

CallumLaidlaw
08-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Guarantee he won't be used as a goalkeeping coach.

Hope Lennon likes his player profiles being printed off wikipedia

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-01-2015, 12:07 PM

He was off the wagebill a few months ago, he was working with a conference team I think. Could be wrong but I l'm sure I read that somewhere.

overdrive
08-01-2015, 12:32 PM
He was off the wagebill a few months ago, he was working with a conference team I think. Could be wrong but I l'm sure I read that somewhere.

:agree: Grimsby Town (as goalkeeping coach)

Jim44
08-01-2015, 12:46 PM
He was part of the three way nightmare team at ICT and I think Butcher and Malpas will find it hard to replicate any sort of success they had with or without him. Ach well.

Fixed. :-)

Bostonhibby
08-01-2015, 01:43 PM
He needs a lot of lifts from Bolton to Glasgow and marshmallows ability to clock up the miles is legendary?

J-C
08-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I think the new management seen through Marsella's legendary ( haha ) scouting, lower league players with tons of energy and stamina but not much technique, perfect for the bomb and chase football of Butcher.

Andy74
08-01-2015, 01:52 PM
I believe he is a good scout.

What was lacking at Hibs was any coherent strategy around what we were scouting and why and how scouted players were measured against other players that other scouts may be looking at or players already here in the various levels.

When you hear about what we have in place and what we are building now it is light years from realy one guy hitting the roads and the manager then taking a punt on the ones he fancies.

In the right set up I'm sure Marsella will find some good players.

J-C
08-01-2015, 01:57 PM
I believe he is a good scout.

What was lacking at Hibs was any coherent strategy around what we were scouting and why and how scouted players were measured against other players that other scouts may be looking at or players already here in the various levels.

When you hear about what we have in place and what we are building now it is light years from realy one guy hitting the roads and the manager then taking a punt on the ones he fancies.

In the right set up I'm sure Marsella will find some good players.

What amazes me is why it's taken all these years to get it right, when you see Motherwell, St Johnstone, Dundee U etc all picking up cracking players from abroad and lower leagues and we continued with the tried and trusted like Vine/Heff etc

Kato
08-01-2015, 02:09 PM
What amazes me is why it's taken all these years to get it right, when you see Motherwell, St Johnstone, Dundee U etc all picking up cracking players from abroad and lower leagues and we continued with the tried and trusted like Vine/Heff etc

Pretty simple why we failed, chronic ineptitude from those in charge.

lucky
08-01-2015, 03:56 PM
It was not just under TB that our scouting was poor, it seems years since we signed a decent player. So hopefully under the new regime we will see the quality we were promised

Andy74
08-01-2015, 04:00 PM

I'm not so sure the approach has been too different from other clubs - although Utd maybe have signed more youngsters from lower leagues.

St Johnstone had a bit of success with Vine for example. I believe Heff would have done okay for some of these teams. We just haven't got the best out of players who should have done better for us at times.

I think the approach we are putting in place now is quite different from what other clubs are doing in terms of the level of analysis, the database, the criteria that we are using to judge against across the whole of the club. We will see if it works long term..

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2015, 04:01 PM

An absent owner who left the place in the capable hands of a man called Rod Petrie.

H18Y GW
08-01-2015, 04:23 PM
An absent owner who left the place in the capable hands of a man called Rod Petrie.

I'd place my mortgage on neither the absent owner or the Tache were personally responsible for scouting or picking any of the **** ups that have stolen a wage at ER.

Not your greatest post , no offence intended 😉

TowerHibs
08-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I'd place my mortgage on neither the absent owner or the Tache were personally responsible for scouting or picking any of the **** ups that have stolen a wage at ER.

Not your greatest post , no offence intended 😉
They should know what's going on and demanding systems put in place if not there

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Not your greatest post , no offence intended 

None taken.

Paisley Hibby
08-01-2015, 07:56 PM
It was not just under TB that our scouting was poor, it seems years since we signed a decent player. So hopefully under the new regime we will see the quality we were promised

I think we already are seeing that; Allan and Gray for example. Plus the players we already had are now performing much better.

tamig
08-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Guarantee he won't be used as a goalkeeping coach.

Hope Lennon likes his player profiles being printed off wikipedia

What's the wiki reference got to do with anything? I'm sure if Marsella finds players that are as good for Bolton as some of his recommendations were for ICT Lennon won't give two hoots.

CallumLaidlaw
08-01-2015, 08:26 PM
What's the wiki reference got to do with anything? I'm sure if Marsella finds players that are as good for Bolton as some of his recommendations were for ICT Lennon won't give two hoots.

A comment made on how Marsella used to research his players.
I agree he found a few good players for ICT. What did he find for us Tho?

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2015, 08:32 PM
A comment made on how Marsella used to research his players.
I agree he found a few good players for ICT. What did he find for us Tho?

Just Sow wasn't it?

He only had one January window.

tamig
08-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Just Sow wasn't it?

He only had one January window.

Indeed. He was barely there long enough to be judged.

Stuarty27
08-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Did he get a chance to even sign players for Hibs?

Just because he looks like a slob doesn't mean he aint a good scout

CallumLaidlaw
08-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I must have dreamt Haynes, Boateng, Watmore. He'd have been looking at players for ICT, and this is what we got on transfer deadline day.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2015, 08:52 PM
I must have dreamt Haynes, Boateng, Watmore. He'd have been looking at players for ICT, and this is what we got on transfer deadline day.

We'd have been working to a different budget to ict though. Probably would've been better going for the targets identifies for ict.

MountcastleHibs
08-01-2015, 09:44 PM
I posted a thread on the PM forum shortly after Marsella joined us with information I was given by an ICT supporting friend, who is well-connected with the club. He told me that Marsella wasn't any good at his job, and it was an agent that had contacted the club with the majority of players that they signed when he was scout.

This is what he said at the time, just under a year ago: '"Marsella....Has zero contacts. He is not a scout... heres what he did at ict.....Half our players have the same agent... he‘d get in touch with Terry with a recommendation.... Marsella the general dogsbody would then go and watch said player..... marsella is not the contact and anyone can do his job. Also the agent in question whos players have built this current ict squad (8) has been told hes no wanted at hibs... so yogi will continue getting these players..." Certainly, if you hear things being said/have been said recently it all adds together.

He also said Butcher was a narcissist. Seems to be pretty true now, although I disagreed at the time!

Anyway, let's move on from the past! We now seem to have structure in place and a proper signing policy at long last! Onwards and upwards!

Swedish hibee
08-01-2015, 09:48 PM

I forgot about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I've chose to..... sigh.

Pete
08-01-2015, 09:50 PM
I forgot about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I've chose to..... sigh.

Easily done as I don't think Boateng ever played for us.

I think the other guy scored v killie and annoyed the crowd or something.

CallumLaidlaw
08-01-2015, 09:57 PM

According to Wiki, Boateng played 4 games for us. I'm shocked at that. Remember him coming on once.

lord bunberry
08-01-2015, 09:58 PM

Unfortunately Boateng did play for us, when I say played I mean he had a strip on and he ran about a bit.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Danny ****ing Haynes. Butcher made some horribly pish decisions in his short spell with us, however starting Danny Haynes on the wing at home against Hamilton was up there with his worst. He hadn't kicked a ball for weeks, had been awful when he had played, then he reappears out of position on the wing. Replacing him with Harris after 7 minutes was an equally horrible decision. As was subbing Harris back off again. What an utter calamity of a day.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-01-2015, 10:03 PM
According to Wiki, Boateng played 4 games for us. I'm shocked at that. Remember him coming on once.

Played from the start away to St Johnstone. Beat 2-0 and he was partly to blame for one of the goals. That's the day I started to think we were in trouble

sahib
08-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I posted a thread on the PM forum shortly after Marsella joined us with information I was given by an ICT supporting friend, who is well-connected with the club. He told me that Marsella wasn't any good at his job, and it was an agent that had contacted the club with the majority of players that they signed when he was scout.

This is what he said at the time, just under a year ago: '"Marsella....Has zero contacts. He is not a scout... heres what he did at ict.....Half our players have the same agent... he‘d get in touch with Terry with a recommendation.... Marsella the general dogsbody would then go and watch said player..... marsella is not the contact and anyone can do his job. Also the agent in question whos players have built this current ict squad (8) has been told hes no wanted at hibs... so yogi will continue getting these players..." Certainly, if you hear things being said/have been said recently it all adds together.

He also said Butcher was a narcissist. Seems to be pretty true now, although I disagreed at the time!

Anyway, let's move on from the past! We now seem to have structure in place and a proper signing policy at long last! Onwards and upwards!

Interesting, I would have put him down as C of E.