PDA

View Full Version : So who replaces Malonga?

number9dream
04-01-2015, 07:38 PM
While the big man is away does Boyle join Cummings up top?
With McGeouch back, Handling could move forward but might be a bit lightweight, while Heffernan & Sinclair have hardly had a look in and the U20s lads (Allan, Mulhall, McCaffrey) are maybe too raw.
Or might we see another striker arrive this week?

Heisenberg
04-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Hopefully not Heffernan as he's quite clearly past it.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2015, 07:44 PM

I dont think Stubbs fancies him either

emerald green
04-01-2015, 07:47 PM
A lot might depend on how long it will be before El Alagui is fit enough for first team football. Does AS go with what he has at the club until EA is fully fit, or does he bring in someone else, possibly on loan? I'm not sure TBH, but I am confident AS will have made plans.

SMAXXA
04-01-2015, 07:48 PM

Shouldnt be here past january

Billy Whizz
04-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Shouldnt be here past january

Don't think he will be. If no one takes him, I can see a contract termination, by mutual consent, on transfer deadline day

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Stubbs already pulled off a miracle by getting a goal scorer of Malonga's quality in outwith the window to replace El Alagui, so we'll see what he can manage here.

Maybe he thinks that Boyle is the man, though I suspect that he'll bring another in up front if we can shift some players on.

Stuarty27
04-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Wes Thomas of Birmingham on loan is a name I heard

dmc1875
04-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Wes Thomas of Birmingham on loan is a name I heard

Does he not start for Birmingham? Scored a few yesterday albeit against Blythswood

B.H.F.C
04-01-2015, 08:19 PM
No fit players at the club capable. Really hope we see a new face coming in this week.

hibsbollah
04-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I think it will be Boyle.

Stuarty27
04-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Does he not start for Birmingham? Scored a few yesterday albeit against Blythswood

I don't think he has been playing much since new manager took over, heard it in the bookies so could be absolute baws

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 09:24 PM
We have adjusted remarkably well to the loss of several key players this season, so I'm not too worried. When Gray went off at half time yesterday I was concerned, but Booth did superbly at right back and so nearly set up the winner for Boyle.

Let's see what happens.

mjhibby
04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
With mcgeoch and allan in tandem in midfield im not sure it matters whose up front as they are going to create a lot of chances.I think AS will be looking to our midfield to score more and dont forget malonga didnt score in the drubbing of rangers.He will probably bring in someone not getting a game at championship or league one in england although we are still to await an everton loan signing. Petrie get it sorted.

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 09:45 PM
In his Hibs TV interview yesterday, Stubbs made a big deal about Boyle's pace - he's always said that he wants his teams to be comfortable in more than one formation so maybe we'll see things change again.

PatHead
04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
With mcgeoch and allan in tandem in midfield im not sure it matters whose up front as they are going to create a lot of chances.I think AS will be looking to our midfield to score more and dont forget malonga didnt score in the drubbing of rangers.He will probably bring in someone not getting a game at championship or league one in england although we are still to await an everton loan signing. Petrie get it sorted.

Always feel the midfield don't shoot from outside the box enough. Sure it will come soon as confidence grows.

lucky
04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Don't think he will be. If no one takes him, I can see a contract termination, by mutual consent, on transfer deadline day

Depends on how much a saving there is in doing a deal. Can't think it would be that much so I would keep him in those circumstances

Mikey09
04-01-2015, 10:41 PM
I think it will be Boyle.

Correct.... My shout as well. I think this May work very well. Very quick, makes good runs and with Allan seeing those runs the boy could potentially score a few.... :agree:

Sir David Gray
04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't see Boyle as a striker. I think of him as a winger more than anything else so I personally would like to see another striker brought in during January to cover for the absence of Malonga and also El Alagui.

Andy74
05-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Maybe it's just me but I don't see Boyle as a striker. I think of him as a winger more than anything else so I personally would like to see another striker brought in during January to cover for the absence of Malonga and also El Alagui.

So would I but can we keep bringing in new players to cover for short term absence? What happens when they are all back?

Stubbs did say last week at the East Mains tour that we were looking to get a new striker anyway but I'm not sure if Boyle counts as it or not!

hibsbollah
05-01-2015, 11:19 AM
I sometimes think its a shame that the fast players always seem to get stuck out on the wing, when they could be much more effective through the middle. Wenger totally changed Thierry Henry's career when he took him off the wing. I always thought Ivan would have been much more effective through the middle, he was such a good finisher, a bit unpredictable at crosses anyway and defenders hate playing against pace.

Dunno how that relates to Boyle but there you go :greengrin

patlowe
05-01-2015, 11:25 AM

For me, it is not just Malonga's goals that we will miss, although we of course will, but we don't have anyone else at the club with his intelligence and skill in holding the ball up, bringing others into play and subsequently helping to create those chances you mention. His touch under pressure is top drawer IMO - Boozyesque.

RoslinInstHibby
05-01-2015, 11:58 AM
I sometimes think its a shame that the fast players always seem to get stuck out on the wing, when they could be much more effective through the middle. Wenger totally changed Thierry Henry's career when he took him off the wing. I always thought Ivan would have been much more effective through the middle, he was such a good finisher, a bit unpredictable at crosses anyway and defenders hate playing against pace.

:agree: agree 100%

scoopyboy
05-01-2015, 12:02 PM
While the big man is away does Boyle join Cummings up top?
With McGeouch back, Handling could move forward but might be a bit lightweight, while Heffernan & Sinclair have hardly had a look in and the U20s lads (Allan, Mulhall, McCaffrey) are maybe too raw.
Or might we see another striker arrive this week?

The Congo squad has still to be reduced from 26 to 23 so there is a chance Malonga might not miss any games.

He is the least experienced in the 26 with only about 10 minutes of international time to his name so he doesn't look to be guaranteed a final squad place.

I hope he does make the cut but there are benefits if he doesn't.

Billy Whizz
05-01-2015, 12:11 PM
The Congo squad has still to be reduced from 26 to 23 so there is a chance Malonga might not miss any games.

He is the least experienced in the 26 with only about 10 minutes of international time to his name so he doesn't look to be guaranteed a final squad place.

When will this be announced?

scoopyboy
05-01-2015, 12:16 PM
When will this be announced?

later this week I believe.

Edit - the deadline is 10 days before the first game of the tournament which is the 17th.

So we should know Wednesday ish.

Paloschi
05-01-2015, 12:34 PM

This is where I think Alex Harris can play in years to come. I've always seen him more as a playmaker type or deep lying forward or false 9 as they are called these days.

Think he is wasted out on the wing.

As for Boyle, I hope we do bring in another striker as I think we need someone like Malonga who can drop deep and allow Cummings to move in behind. If Boyle was to start I think Cummings would need to drop deeper when we need him poaching IMO :agree:

Winston Ingram
05-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Unless we get rid of Heff, I think it'll only be Boyle.

Malonga'll like miss 3 weeks, El Alagui could be back early Feb so that'll leave us with 5 strikers.

I can't see us bringing in another striker to cover a 3 week period, especially since we just got Boyle in.

SkintHibby
05-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Didier Agathe was superb through the middle at Hibs and Celtic wasted him by putting him out wide.:agree:

--------
05-01-2015, 01:11 PM

It would be a nice thing to have a player representing the club in a major international tournament, and obviously good for Dom himself, but I wouldn't be averse to having him back with us throughout the second half of the season.

He's been a terrific signing and a genuine class player. He and Cummings are developing an understanding, and hopefully both will be well into double figures by the end of the season - a long time since we could have even thought of that scenario, I'd say.

Andy74
05-01-2015, 01:14 PM
It would be a nice thing to have a player representing the club in a major international tournament, and obviously good for Dom himself, but I wouldn't be averse to having him back with us throughout the second half of the season.

He's been a terrific signing and a genuine class player. He and Cummings are developing an understanding, and hopefully both will be well into double figures by the end of the season - a long time since we could have even thought of that scenario, I'd say.

By 'understanding' do you mean that they both understand that they will never pass the ball to each other? :greengrin

bingo70
05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
By 'understanding' do you mean that they both understand that they will never pass the ball to each other? :greengrin

I'm pleased someone else has noticed that, I've been mentioning that for a while. (In real life, not on here)

Hibeesmad
05-01-2015, 01:21 PM
What about sinclair?

--------
05-01-2015, 01:26 PM

I didn't think it was as bad as that the last couple of games .... :greengrin

I wasn't thinking of that sort of interaction, actually.

Andy74
05-01-2015, 01:27 PM
What about sinclair?

Thought he was meant to bring the pace?! Subbs said similar about him when he arrived as he has with Boyle - will bring us options and real pace in any position up front.

Straight in the team when he arrived you can only assume that our scouting on him was not as onerous as we now seem to have in place and that he has disappointed the coaches.

I'd have thought that if we could, he would be back down to his club too. One signing that really hasn't worked at all.

allezsauzee
05-01-2015, 05:13 PM
For me, it is not just Malonga's goals that we will miss, although we of course will, but we don't have anyone else at the club with his intelligence and skill in holding the ball up, bringing others into play and subsequently helping to create those chances you mention. His touch under pressure is top drawer IMO - Boozyesque.

This is absolutely spot on! He is a class act. When the ball is played up to him , he invariably keeps possession or wins a free kick. Does my nut in when people want him to run about like a headless chicken rather than use his skill and intelligence.

Mathias Jack
05-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Didier Agathe was superb through the middle at Hibs and Celtic wasted him by putting him out wide.:agree:

Agreed. I can remember one of Agathe's goals against Dundee; knocked the ball past the first defender, ghosted past the second one. Tucked it away...

As said before in the thread, when all fully fit and available, we'll have 5 strikers in our squad. So, after signing Boyle, I can't see us bringing another striker.

On another note, good luck for the rest of the season Matty Kennedy.

Stevie Reid
05-01-2015, 05:37 PM
On another note, good luck for the rest of the season Matty Kennedy.

Indeed. Loved watching him play, had a great appetite for the game and was a joy to watch at times.

erin go bragh
05-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Leigh Griffiths

Ggtth

Nelly070
05-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Leigh Griffiths

Ggtth

Back on the bench tonight for Celtic

Ronniekirk
05-01-2015, 08:02 PM
What about sinclair?
To date he clearly hasn't impressed enough to get much gAme time ,and I would think stubbs wished it was only a six month loan and he would be away lback to parent club like Kennedy ,but it's a year long loan ,so unless Sothhampton have any other club interested in him then they may not be in any hurray to take him back given it hasn't worked out for him up here .Boyle coming in also suggests Sinclair isn't in Stubbs plans

Ronniekirk
05-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Back on the bench tonight for Celtic
He knows the score so unless he pushes for transfer he must be happy being a small bit player there Utter waste of his Talent

Sir David Gray
05-01-2015, 09:14 PM
So would I but can we keep bringing in new players to cover for short term absence? What happens when they are all back?

Stubbs did say last week at the East Mains tour that we were looking to get a new striker anyway but I'm not sure if Boyle counts as it or not!

I see your point but I think the next few weeks are pivotal in deciding our season and it's a few weeks where we're going to be without both Malonga and El Alagui.

El Alagui may not be back for another four or five weeks, which may be the length of Malonga's absence as well.

During that time, we have a lot of key games which will be vital in staying in contention for second place and keeping ahead of the teams currently below us.

I think we need cover, even if it is short term.

Bishop Hibee
05-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Not sure what the point of keeping Sinclair is. If we can get rid of him and Heff then we should bring a forward in.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2015, 09:40 PM
McGeough into midfield and Handling pushed up top might be worth trying. Think DH would do a decent job holding the ball up abd bringing others into play.

scoopyboy
09-01-2015, 01:30 PM

Malonga is in the 23 man squad for the finals.

Three players were dropped yesterday to reduce the squad from 26 to 23 but our man wasn't one of them.

truehibernian
09-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Malonga is in the 23 man squad for the finals.

Three players were dropped yesterday to reduce the squad from 26 to 23 but our man wasn't one of them.

Mixed feelings about that Scoopy - good for the player and the club in the 'mid term' due to valuation and his potential, downside he'll miss games here - but I think it's a good chance for others and now that McGeouch is back he'll add a really good attacking dimension to the play.

I saw an agent on Twitter saying Swanson has been offered - you heard :cb

Hibee87
09-01-2015, 01:35 PM
IM sure it will be a straight swap for djedje or boyle to start up top with Cummings. Hopefully mcgeough is fit to start in place of handling, if not the rest will remain unchanged with booth at right back.

truehibernian
09-01-2015, 01:38 PM
IM sure it will be a straight swap for djedje or boyle to start up top with Cummings. Hopefully mcgeough is fit to start in place of handling, if not the rest will remain unchanged with booth at right back.

Hope he takes his chance if indeed given a run - I was chuffed at his 45 against Hearts, thought he looked back to the Booth of old. I do think if he plays full back he needs runners ahead who are prepared to cover when he gets forward. Really liked what I saw last weekend re Booth though.

J-C
09-01-2015, 01:39 PM

The way Stubbs plays the 4-4-2- diamond Malonga and Cummings split slightly wide with Handling being pushed higher through the middle, almost a front 3, Djedje will simply take Malonga's place coming off the left as an IF, which Malonga did anyway.

Andy74
09-01-2015, 01:46 PM
The way Stubbs plays the 4-4-2- diamond Malonga and Cummings split slightly wide with Handling being pushed higher through the middle, almost a front 3, Djedje will simply take Malonga's place coming off the left as an IF, which Malonga did anyway.

I'd swap Handling for McGeough as well as Djedje coming in for Malonga. We need to up our creativity if we are already missing key strikers.

J-C
09-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I'd swap Handling for McGeough as well as Djedje coming in for Malonga. We need to up our creativity if we are already missing key strikers.

TBH Andy, Handling would be on the bench if McGeough hadn't been injured, personally I'd be playing 4-2-3-1 with Djedje/McGeough/Doyle behind Cummings and Allan/Robertson the two slightly deeper midfielders with Allan being a DLP with his passing ability.

B.H.F.C
09-01-2015, 01:55 PM

That's what I'd do.

Need to get McGeough back in the team and no need to change the midfield shape as its been working well.

AlbertK86
09-01-2015, 04:27 PM
TBH Andy, Handling would be on the bench if McGeough hadn't been injured, personally I'd be playing 4-2-3-1 with Djedje/McGeough/Doyle behind Cummings and Allan/Robertson the two slightly deeper midfielders with Allan being a DLP with his passing ability.

I'm not sure handling would be benched.
Prior to DM injury the majority of the time the 4 in the diamond was Robbo at base, DM on right, SA on left and DH at tip. Seemed to be Stubbsys favoured 4 and
Liam Craig was on bench.

Craig has improved and is captain so expect it to be same team as last week bar either Boyle or Djedje in for Malonga

Think he will continue to ease mcgeogh back gently

Bronson
09-01-2015, 04:30 PM
McGeough into midfield and Handling pushed up top might be worth trying. Think DH would do a decent job holding the ball up abd bringing others into play.

Not looking to bash our players needlessly but really? The weakest point of his game is that he's too lightweight, that would be a disaster tactically.

Aldo
09-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Think we might see that front 4 line up as you've mentioned JC.

Hopefully with Boyle & Djedje's pace we can trouble them.

Once again though Scott Allan is the key.

ancient hibee
09-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Play Mcgeough as a straight swap for Malonga.

Brightside
09-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Not looking to bash our players needlessly but really? The weakest point of his game is that he's too lightweight, that would be a disaster tactically.

Its exactly what he does well. The boss seems to agree.

Bronson
10-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Its exactly what he does well. The boss seems to agree.

I don't see it. He's there at the tip of the midfield to drive the ball forward and support the strikers whose job it is to hold the ball up.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-01-2015, 12:00 PM
I reckon handling will be loaned out next i just don't see what he brings to the team.....just my opinion of course

AlbertK86
10-01-2015, 12:11 PM
I reckon handling will be loaned out next i just don't see what he brings to the team.....just my opinion of course

No danger .... Been first pick nearly all season

Yep when everybody fit he won't be in 1st 11 but he regularly opens the play up

Last week v Hertz he took ball in, turned his man spread it out to Allan who crossed for the goal

Shortly after again took ball in beat his man well, changed direction of play again with a very good ball out to Lewis who dropped it onto Cummings head and it should have been 2

He is an intelligent player and also does a lot of pressing, closing down quickly

No way would I send him out on loan

Think Stubbs rates him as well due to the amount of game time he gives him in a pivotal role

eastcoasthibby
10-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Handling does a fair bit of good interlinking and can be creative as well....consistency and able to give more than a strong 60 -65 minutes and lack of pace are a problem, but hoped other aspects along with these will develop.
loan out would be mad given our squad and what he can give us.

gegs70
11-01-2015, 02:41 AM
I still hoped to get another striker in, Handling, Stanton etc are fringe players and potentially need more game time loan moves may be a good idea for them?

gegs70
11-01-2015, 02:42 AM
Even Heff has limited options?

Ronniekirk
11-01-2015, 01:48 PM
I still hoped to get another striker in, Handling, Stanton etc are fringe players and potentially need more game time loan moves may be a good idea for them?

Stanton isn't a striker but last season scored some cracking goals However he can't get game time so like Harris maybe he needs loaned out or his development will suffer . still think he has more to fifer than Handling but we don't seem to be able to fit him into team and don't see that changing .