PDA

View Full Version : Progress since May 2014

hibsbollah
04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27265461?SThisFB

I was reminded of a low point of last season when we lost at home to Killie which consigned us to the relegation playoff, in front of 15,000. I remember leaving that game feeling like I never wanted to go back. I wouldn't even call it football. No one seemed to know what they were doing or care about it.

Seven months on only Robertson and Craig left from that starting eleven. All the remaining nine players from that horrible day (Williams, Nelson, Forster, Maybury, McGivern, Watmore, Stanton, Heffernan, Collins) have either been moved on or are squad players. Most importantly the 'launch the ball high and early' Butcher tactic has been binned and I actually ENJOY watching us play again.

Its been a rapid and successful revolution under Stubbs. He's only been in charge for six months. Deserves all the credit going imo :aok:

The_Exile
04-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm genuinely surprised at how quick the turnaround has been, thought we'd be down here for at least 2 or 3 years but have optimism that we can see ourselves promoted through the play offs now.

hibsbollah
04-01-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm genuinely surprised at how quick the turnaround has been, thought we'd be down here for at least 2 or 3 years but have optimism that we can see ourselves promoted through the play offs now.

Its amazing when you think about it. He comes in with the club in chaos from top to bottom, clears out almost the entire side, totally changes the tactics and formation and suddenly we're playing the most progressive football since Mowbray in half a season. We have a solid centreback partnership with a big no nonsense guy in to complement the more subtle Hanlon, an excellent right back who overlaps, a playmaking 'quarterback' midfielder who is taking the league by storm and the best striking partnership since Benji/Fletcher in 2007. Its in a lower league admittedly but its still an amazing turnaround.

MB62
04-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Also impressed by the immediate signing of Martin Boyle so early in the transfer window. Ok, it's only a swap loan deal, but it says to me that Stubbs is a man who knows what he wants and has done his research. Everything about him impresses me and he already looks like a English premiership manager in the making. a total professional.

Stevie Reid
04-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Under Butcher last season you could see how scared the players were to try anything. That was because that idiot had ruled by fear, and instilled that through the squad.

Now the thing that permeates through the squad is confidence, and that is thanks to Stubbs. Our players are confident and show no fear, and that is where our excellent football comes from. The manager believes in the players and vice versa, something that wasn't the case when Butcher was here.

In terms of away derby performances, I've rarely seen a Hibs team be so brave on the ball and play as confidently as we did at Tynie yesterday - it was probably under McLeish when we last did so.

weonlywon6-2
04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
We have come a long way and Stubbs deserves a lot of credit for that
the next six months are huge for hibs as we need to get into the premier league asap

Itsnoteasy
04-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Progress YES. But we still can't beat the worst team in the history of hertz. How do we get rid of this mental block?

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Progress YES. But we still can't beat the worst team in the history of hertz. How do we get rid of this mental block?

This is far from the worst Hearts team...

whiskyhibby
04-01-2015, 09:26 PM
This is far from the worst Hearts team...

Agree, give them their due.......

jimmythefish
04-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Under Butcher last season you could see how scared the players were to try anything. That was because that idiot had ruled by fear, and instilled that through the squad.

Now the thing that permeates through the squad is confidence, and that is thanks to Stubbs. Our players are confident and show no fear, and that is where our excellent football comes from. The manager believes in the players and vice versa, something that wasn't the case when Butcher was here.

In terms of away derby performances, I've rarely seen a Hibs team be so brave on the ball and play as confidently as we did at Tynie yesterday - it was probably under McLeish when we last did so.

Totally agree ok we didn't get the win we deserved but felt it was the best Hibs performance there for long time & I'll bet every **** was glad to hear the final whistle & get away undefeated

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Stubbs has done a wonderful job, as has Dempster. They are leading the club now, and Farmer and Petrie have had the sense to stand back and let that happen.

Sir David Gray
04-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Definitely look forward to going to matches now, which wasn't the case in the last couple of years.

We are a decent side to watch just now and whilst I admit we're obviously not up against the strongest opposition this season, we seem to now have a team full of players that want to work hard for each other and we have more than our fair share of talented players at our disposal as well.

That's not something that could have been said six or seven months ago.